MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Monday, we had company & customers over.  Even Luna, a young German Shepherd, came to visit Gunny.  We filled his pool for them.  Gunny jumped in, gulped at the water, to show her it was ok for them to play in it.  After he did that, several times, she gingerly stepped into the water, the look on her face was priceless.  She jumped out, ran a few laps around the yard with Gunny, and jumped back into the pool, that time, she began pawing at the water.  Seemingly joyful, she & Gunny were in and out, racing around the yard and back into the water.  Gunny took it a bit further, laying down, then, he rolled over in the pool, Luna cocked her head, came over as Gunny bolted out to run another yard lap, she got back in and laid down, looking at her ‘daddy’, as if to say, ‘this is NICE!’  DH & I are taking bets on how long before she gets her own pool.  Lol.  We were watching from our pool, (hot tub with cold water), enjoying the cool. The temp. Monday, only got up around 110F* so it was an added benefit for our company.

Yesterday, I basically didn’t do much of anything, except for the service request for the forum.  Oh, & BTW, MrsSurvival is now secure!  :hapydancsmil:

Today, hopefully, I’ll drain the tub & refill it.  Yeah, I could probably get away with shocking it, but, it’s already heating up, still a bit cool, but, I want it cleaned after having company, plus there is a lot of puppy fuzz in there, from everyone getting in & out.

Time to feed the birds...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its hot today here, still 94 at 5:45 PM.  One of the indoor cats had babies, 5 of them, so she is in the only cool room in the house, M's master suite (it has its own AC) and everybody is doing fine.  This kitty makes no fuss, just lays down and has babies, not even a meow.  It surprised me, she is a tiny thing.  Elsewhere in the house our AC is still out, we are limping by with 2 portable ACs, several box fans, and when the sun goes down and the temperature drops, we air out the whole house with cool night air (75 degrees is actually rather cold after 90 plus degrees all day, LOL).  When I get up I shut the windows & drop the shades, and it stays pretty cool until around 3 PM.  So we only really limp for a couple hours. I can hardly wait to get the AC fixed.  Growing up without air conditioning taught both of us old farts a few things about coping, LOL, but it will still be nice to have it back on...fewer jobs on the daily list.

M went to her doc and was told that her meds affected her ability to handle hot weather.  She was getting really exhausted after only 1 hour of physical work, and she always had much more tolerance to heat.  But....doc told her 1 hour physical work, then rest in a cool spot.  Plus she sunburns quicker.  So I keep a close eye on her, since I have always been a sun-shunner, and remind her to cover up BEFORE she gets red, lest she get a bad burn.  I had a 2nd degree sunburn once, that was enough to convince me that bright stuff can be nasty!

We went to the lake today, Jack went swimming.  He is now plopped beside my chair, napping away.  Pizzas tonight for dinner, they are fast.  The turkey thighs I took from the freezer are not thawed, so they will wait for tomorrow.  Got a few more of the yellow peppers, okra and green peppers blanched and into the dehydrator this AM.  Apples tomorrow, will try using lemon juice on them (2nd test of anti-bowning dips). 

So we are moving right along if only in a desultory manner (always wanted to use that word....it fits exactly!   But would there be such a word as "desultoriously"?  If so I cant find it in my thesaurus, LOL):scratchhead:

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

Doggie pool and cool "hot" tub!  :happy0203:   That's adapting to the heat.  I once filled a cleaned out metal horse tank .....right outside our back door which is ground level.  I spent the summer using that to cool off.  Even way up here, it can get too hot for me.  Not this summer tho.  The swamp cooler in the back and the very small A/C unit in the kit/living room front is quite adequate.  'Course we've had clouds in the late afternoon nearly every day this summer.  I think we were hotter in May.  I'm QUITE pleased with this summer.  Very frequent rain means the pressure to watch the skies for smoke is relieved.  :amen:   It's been a wonderful summer! 

But I've wondered if I could manage to save the main section of the old hot tub to use like Annarchy is using theirs.  It's a round deep soaking tub shape.  Other re-purpose idea:  Aquaponics.  :shrug:   The "hot tub" aspect of it no longer works. 

Hope you get a solution for those swollen ankles/feet, TheCG! 

Baby kitties....  :)    I miss my cat but determined not to replenish any critter til we get moved.  Slow attrition....  :(  5 ducks/2 horses to go.

DH FINALLY has two days off.  He ran into library and grocery :shopping:    today.  My adrenaline-assisted functioning went SPLAT!  :faint3:  So I'm resting!  Nothing on schedule tomorrow.  He adjusted me too.....overdue and needed.  Better now.  This new leaf in our life book is not gonna be easy.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We had a delightful [and long overdue] phone conversation with old friends from Hawaii.  :hapydancsmil:   They asked:  So when are you coming home?   Sooner than later....can't believe we've been gone this long.  Seems as tho HI will have frozen in time and waited for us.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

MtRider   .....yeah, now I'm homesick a bit.  Home is where you raised your kids, I think.  And where they still are....

• Like 2

Took DH to doc about 40 miles away this morning. Found that he doesn't have essential tremors, it is a genetic thing. No cure but at least doc is changing meds to maybe help a little.

Went to thrift shop and scored big with lots of stuff for eBay! Then went to Save a lot ( hadn't been in one in about 15 years). I was not impressed! Walmart prices and higher than what I get at local grocery sales! Won't go there again.

Home and resting for the afternoon.

• Like 2

Hubby finished the work for step mum...seems funny to call her that since she's only 5 years older than myself  :laughkick:but she now has some terrific looking walls, the old "scar" where there was once a window a/c in the wall is now gone, all new vinyl plank flooring in her bedroom and bath, all new window blinds, new picture hung, new electrical receptacle covers done, her bedroom furniture is put back together, the bathroom door re-hung and she's got her house back! :cele: He finished mowing today at the homestead and I jarred up eight pints of banana peppers and not so hot green peppers while he did that.  He took Abby-girl for a nice walk when he got home and she needed it...cabin fever! 

Tuesday I jarred up 8 pints of sweet pickles.  Hubby doesn't eat pickles but our friends gifted us with a bunch of really sweet "deli" cucumbers (can't remember their name) but they're long and have a very dark, smooth skin.  They are beautiful!  I followed a canning book's recipe that didn't call for pickle crisp...shouldn't have...they beautiful, taste wonderful but they aren't crisp so I can't give her any.  Guess they're ALL MINE!

Got the truck back Wednesday so we now have two vehicles...:cele: 

He'll start his next work project Sunday.  She needs numerous railings removed from the stairwell from her store up to her apartment removed so she can get furniture etc., moved out.  Then he'll start some ceiling work on her new home.  She's turning this one bedroom into a "prayer" room...that will be so nice...and I'll bet I'll be joining her periodically!  She's got quite a bit or work that needs to be done, but the ceiling must be done before she can move anything into that room.  

Step mum said "I'll be so glad when you all can get moved into your homestead...but I'm so very glad he was able to help me".  Ya just gotta do whatcha gotta do.  Many of you here know how difficult it is for a single woman to get work done and not be taken for a ride...been there done that! 

Other friend that had back surgery is doing very well.  We went out for a birthday part for him and some other friends, and hubby was able to carry their 5 gallon water jugs into the garage for them and put one in their kitchen.  just checked on them a bit ago and her sons are coming this weekend to take care of some of the things they need done.  We'll probably play hooky tomorrow!

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 4

SWEET SUCCESS!  After a couple of failed attempts I finally succeeded in making my own yogurt from Gossner's shelf stable milk, instant dry milk and a starter from a store bought yogurt.  The next batch I used my own starter and so now every few days I just make a new quart and we're off to the races with our own homemade yogurt!  We love it over our granola...which reminds me I'll need to make a new batch in a week or so.  I'll just use the oven for this batch though.  Just easier to keep track of it and not take so long.  Having the ability to make for ourselves is important for us in a life changing event.  

Everybody's talking about the shortages of green beans and peas...even the $Tree store didn't have them...figure that!  Guess we'll start keeping an eye out at other places and maybe stock up on more.

• Like 3

We are ecstatic at our house tonight.  We have our AC back!!  A condenser coil went out in the AC and that is why it died.  Warranty will pay for the part but the service call is on us.  It is worth it....outside it is 92 degrees & humid, inside it is 75 degrees and NOT humid.   :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::woohoo:

• Like 4

Came home a day early.  Need to work on getting the camper drained, unhooked, and all that fun stuff.  Also emptied out & cleaned the bottom 2 drawers of the fridge since most of the stuff is in the camper, and started the self-clean cycle on the oven (the 12-year-old dropped au gratin potatoes in there).

Going to go slow, and keep my feet up when I can.

• Like 5

I had just given the hens & birds their morning treats and was sitting watching them, when I heard a loud crash. Sounded like something really big fell.  I checked my yard, all was OK, scoured the neighborhood, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. I figured maybe someone intentionally dropped something huge.  I went back to my seat in the shade and sipped on my coffee. 

Less than 5 minutes later, I heard the familiar sound of police units hurrying towards our area and the fire truck, no sirens.  I went over to the fence, and could see them parked a block away.  There is an apartment complex, surrounded with a brick wall, at the end of the next street over.  A vacant lot, being transformed to build a house, I knew it couldn’t be there, across the street from the lot, someone has been working on refurbishing an older home.  I thought maybe something happened there, however, the emergency units were closer to the T intersection.  The ambulance left with a passenger, I could hear the gurney being loaded up.  

When the fire unit left, I could see what had happened. Someone went through the wall.  I hadn’t considered that, because I hadn’t heard any tires breaking.  I hope they are OK.  

Friday, I saw a bright red bug crawling through the grass.  At first I thought it might be a tarantula  hawk, they are black wasps with red orange wings, but this was crawling fast and not flying. I went over to get a better look.  Black front and a brilliant red bottom.  I looked it up.  It was a very large velvet ant.  And, I learned something.  Velvet ants are female wasps.  I have never seen one that big and bright.  We normally see the smaller tan ones.

The things I see in the mornings. :o

• Like 4
On 8/2/2019 at 6:36 PM, Annarchy said:

But, noooo... its pooped!

Be thankful you didn't have to try and catch a Python - apparently they poop on you as part of their "defense" mechanism. :gdtmi:

(Found that out while watching a "Returning the Favor" episode on YouTube Watch. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm finally home and exhausted. That trip is killer on my body. The furniture arrived and it is beautiful. It is a little darker than I thought but I'm fine with that. He went ahead and gave me the triple mirror instead of the flat one so that was a nice surprise.

It took me forever to get from the highway to the house. A 20 min. trip took about 2 hours. First was the road construction. I was already in it and too late to turn back. Plus it was rush hour. I got to the turn off and came upon a horrible wreck. Both cars were missing their front ends. The people were already taken away but we had to wait until the flatbed wreckers could load them up and get them removed. It was awful. 

I finally got there and tried to call son but I don't get cell phone service out there. :blink: I went back into town to their house. They were gone. So, I sat outside with the dogs for about 45 min. then left a note on the door and went home. Sigh. I was beat.

Thursday furniture arrived along with son, DIL and you-know-who. Had a good time. Went to Wal-Mart and to a Mexican restaurant. By the time I got home I was in so much back pain I could barely walk. I soaked in a tub of Epsom Salts. It didn't really help but it felt good. It was hard to get from the tub to the bed. My back still. Dang, that tub is narrow. It felt like a coffin. I thought they were standard size? Or maybe my body shape has changed.  :blush:

I went to bed with the Kindle at about 9:00pm and didn't wake up until 10:00pm THE NEXT NIGHT. I missed the entire day Friday. Went to Burger King and gassed up the 

Jeep. Was back in bed by midnight and slept until 10:00am. I decided to come on home. I was hurting and depressed. Still am...both. 

UTI is coming back so time to call the doctor. I need blood work for my meds anyway. While I was gone I took my diabetes meter and blood pressure meter with me. The batteries were dead on the BP machine. I just changed them not too long ago. I did the diabetes stick after I did all of that sleeping and no food and it was 240!  Normal people should read between 70-99. So there's that. 

I said I didn't wake up at all on Thursday/Friday night. Not quite true. Twice I fell off of that stupid twin size air mattress. What a shock. Once between the bed and the wall...ouch. I hit the wall and got a rug burn on my knee and elbow trying to get up. So I moved the mattress against the wall and fell out the other side. It was probably YouTube worthy. I would have liked to have seen it. The next night I put more air in it and didn't get bucked off. I think the softer sides were the problem. It's one of those tall ones too. 

On the way there one of my turn signals blew out. I was paranoid the whole time I was going to get pulled over. I could have explained it. I was away from home  :blah:  but I really wasn't in the mood. I just did my best to stay in the right lane all the way there and back. Will see to it tomorrow...somewhere. Since Lube Stop went out of business here I'm not sure where I'll end up. I'll figure it out. I miss them. 

The Wal-Mart veggie shelves there looked about like every place else. A little bare with the cans spaced out. I did see quite a bit of field corn growing in Northern Indiana. It is pretty short though. The closer to Ohio I got the shorter the corn was. The soy beans looked pretty good though. 

I'm off to the fruit/veggie market to stock back up. They do have some pretty good beefsteak  tomatoes and plums. Maybe some peaches that aren't hard as rocks. 

Forgot to add. If you take a Kindle with you be sure to download some books and movies if you are going to a place with no internet service. Thankfully I remembered to do that. I keep some books loaded just in case. 

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot To Mention.
  • Like 2

:hug3:   Sheeesh, Jeepers!  Sleeping a whole day....something doesn't sound right:unsure:   Even considering a tortuous trip...plus a jam at the end of your route.  :(   That was too bad!    So......no cell service at IND house or not your cell company???  Glad you had some time with your family!  And you have your furniture!!   If you get your mattress for your bed.....no more air beds.  They can be kinda bouncy and caving-in.  Take time to take care of yourself in these next few days.....get things checked!

PS:  I think it's still legal to use hand signals for turning....  :wave: 

TheCG.....hope you can get control of those swollen feet/ankles!  Sounds like its getting bad.  Home from camping....not as much fun as going...  ;)  

DH is getting used to the job....learning things he needs to know and physically adjusting.  Not so FLATTENED by the end of shift.  I'm concerned about him being borderline with diabetes too.....and not always having time to eat.  Hmmm..  He'd been doing fine with that aspect for these past months.  His feet are swelling tho so he's taking more of those meds.  Old age ain't for sissies, huh? 

Really cooler weather today.  60* when I went out to feed AM.  Warmed up and then the afternoon storm blobs began marching thru.  One blob THREW rain clear under the porch roof and inside the screen door til I shut it.  Lot of rain but not for too long. 

Computer Issue:  Anyone ever have trouble getting "permission" to disconnect your thumb drive so you can pull it out of computer?  I'd had that trouble some months ago after backing up some new stuff on my laptop.  Could not get the message to say:  It's safe to pull out your thumb drive.  So eventually, I just pulled it out anyway.  Today a backed up everything on my desktop with a brand new thumb drive.  Then got the same message.  My friend called and she advised that it must still be interacting with SOMETHING.  :scratchhead:   Only thing still running was Firefox and my Internet connection....so I shut both of them down.  It WORKED.  .....WHY?   There should not be any interaction with either of those and a back-up thumb drive device.....should there

Hmph!  I detest mysteries.  I DO appreciate a solution....but I'd like to know WHY it worked!  :shakinghead: 

DH gets stiff/sore a few hours after he gets home.  He wanted some yogurt tonite .....fridge: bottom shelf/way in back.  So I squatted down and handed it to him.  Then I stood up and clocked my head on the freezer door.  Sticks out JUST far enough. :gaah:   My neck is a very weak link due to injury loooong ago.  My body began to cramp up...shoulders twisting forward, neck seizing, etc.  Tho I risk getting a super-headache by morning, I had DH adjust me to straighten out all that hoohah.  For some reason I don't do well with late night adjustments.  But thot I'd better risk that.....cuz waiting til late afternoon tomorrow when he gets home, didn't sound like a good idea either.  :shrug:   As the old saying goes:  Sometimes ya can't win for losing.   Doesn't take much to "click" my neck outta place and it goes downhill from there.  Hmph!  

MtRider    ...not sure if I ended this day with a win or loss??? :offtobed: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sorry you bumped your noggin. I know the feeling of doing one thing and having a multitude of other things go wonkie on you. I stepped off one little incline in a parking lot and my whole back, neck and nervous system revolted. 

Hand signals are still valid. They were on my last driving test. I know how to use them from years of sitting in my grandpa's back seat on Sunday rides. He used both. Only problem is I forgot all about them. DUH. 

Hope hubby's new meds will help when he gets it Miki. How is he doing with his hearing now?I

Sorry about your ankles TheCG.  Drink plenty of liquids and elevate those puppies. If doctor allows, maybe an OTC water pill. Diru-Ex or something like that.

Hot tub cold tub...it all sounds delightful to me. I want a small pool for next summer. I tell myself that floating in the water will help my back and aching bones. Maybe even some water exercising.  Justifying!  I know less than zero about pool maintenance. 

We2 my pickles didn't do very well last year and I did use pickle crisp. I don't know if it was the cucumbers I bought or what. They were the small pickling cukes. Not the small gherkin size though. I cut the ends off and sliced each cuke into 8 spears and used Mrs. Wages kosher dill pickle mix. Then I added a very small amount of pickle crisp. By small I mean less than a pinch. Really just a couple of little beads per jar. Then waterbathed. The jars were the half pint size. Anyway, they were so bitter I ended up tossing most of them.  They weren't all that crisp either. I figure it was either the cucumbers, Mrs. Wages or the pickle crisp. They were so bitter.  Wish I had a good Vlassic kosher dill recipe. Time to start Googling. 

• Like 2

Jeepers the pickles yoo bought were older.  If they sit more than 24 hrs they get bitter when pickled.  So they probably picked them a day or two before.  I have trouble when I buy cukes, so I don;t pickle unless I personally just picked them the same day.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Hope hubby's new meds will help when he gets it Miki. How is he doing with his hearing now?I

I hope so too, Jeepers!  He is having a rough time now and is waiting for new meds to come from VA.  However, his hearing is so much better!  I am forever grateful that he finally addressed that issue!

I have had problems using Mrs. Wages pickle mixes.  Turn out mushy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yay for MrMiki's hearing improvement.  :amen:   and :pray:  for the new meds and such!  

:amen:  ...also cuz I did not get a blasting headache...or any headache from the adjustment last nite. 

Also, the lady that's giving me rides to our Bible Study went very suddenly to ICU with kidney infection....24 hrs after we'd gone to Bible study.  She seemed fine.  But suddenly she was very drastically sick.  Almost no white cell count and low BP.  But she came home this evening.  Just got the word.  :amen:   This Tues the Bible Study is canceled so maybe she'll be up for driving by next Tuesday??  I don't know how quickly someone recovers from such a thing.  But so glad she's well enough to go home.

I got the trash container packed up today.....thankfully a cooler morning to squash old boxes, etc.  Hauled 2 bags up there with the truck...end of driveway near road.  Final bag tomorrow will be kitchen garbage stuff.....can't be put out til just before they come to pick up.  Bears.  I love getting stuff sorted and dumped finally. 

So far, I'm hanging in there.  Soooo thankful for all the rainy/storming afternoons.  Cuz it's COOLER!   :happy0203: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3
On 8/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, Midnightmom said:

Be thankful you didn't have to try and catch a Python - apparently they poop on you as part of their "defense" mechanism. :gdtmi:

(Found that out while watching a "Returning the Favor" episode on YouTube Watch. :grinning-smiley-044:

I love that show.  Need to catch up on the new season!

On 8/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, Jeepers said:

Forgot to add. If you take a Kindle with you be sure to download some books and movies if you are going to a place with no internet service. Thankfully I remembered to do that. I keep some books loaded just in case. 

I picked up one with its own cell service at a pawn shop for $20.  I think it's going to live in the camper as my emergency backup.

17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Sorry about your ankles TheCG.  Drink plenty of liquids and elevate those puppies. If doctor allows, maybe an OTC water pill. Diru-Ex or something like that.\

They didn't swell (much) yesterday, and look practically normal again.  They're randomly itching like crazy, though.  Arrrrrrgh.

• Like 3

Anyone else having trouble getting the "Unread Content" button to work?  For me, trouble started last nite. 

Edited to add:  But if I keep trying the button on different pages, both last nite and right now - I get it to work. 

MtRider  :scratchhead:   [hate mysteries]

Edited by Mt_Rider
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Anyone else having trouble getting the "Unread Content" button to work?  For me, trouble started last nite. 

Edited to add:  But if I keep trying the button on different pages, both last nite and right now - I get it to work. 

MtRider  :scratchhead:   [hate mysteries]

Ack!  I’ll need to look into it.  But.....

I’m leaving for TX in the morning. Until I figure it out, use the “Activity, All Activity” options. Sorry for the inconvenience. I’ll try to see what I can do, using my iPad. 

• Thanks 1

Survived a frightening thunder storm last night!  All three of us!  And that's just what it was...thunder, lightening, wind and a bit of rain.  Took out our power about 11:00 pm, so we were out for a couple of hours.  No a/c ... started getting a bit dewey so it was no covers ala mode until the power came back on.  Abby was beside herself, and for the first time in her life she puddled on one of the rugs that's down between the livingroom and kitchen. The storm came so quickly and the power went down almost immediately, that I didn't have time to give her anything...and by the time it would have taken effect, the storm would probably have been gone :-(  This was a VERY noisy one anyway so I'm not sure anything would have helped her.  We even jumped nearly out of bed when we heard three huge "booms" (like a shotgun right under our window) about a half hour after the power went out.  Never have figured out what those were???  I don't think it was transformers.  The crews were out today hauling tree limbs from just south of us, so I figure it was the wind and limbs that took out the power.  Hubby said there were limbs down in other areas too as he went to work this morning.

• Sad 4

Went last night to a friends farm and picked wild Elderberries, so I spent most of today picking them and bagging them and getting them in the frig.  Tomorrow we'll need to take them to the big freezer at the homestead.  I don't wash them and sort them out until I'm ready to make my Elderberry juice.  Seven bags full...wanna see? 

Wild Elderberries ready for freezer.jpg

• Like 4