MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

It is gently raining here.   :hapydancsmil:

Everything outside seems to be breathing a sigh of relief. Really muggy, but worth every drop.

Good thing I got the car fixed yesterday.  It’d be a muddy mess now.  Lol

I doubt I will be working outside today.  I need the ‘body’ rest anyway.  DH said so.  :happy0203:

Our MV department seems to change the way they process people, a couple times a year.  Lol.  I never know how it’s going to be.  My plan, every time I need to go, is to be there when they first open the door. 

Have you been been able to get some sleep Ambergris?  

WE2, I hope you’re able to get it fixed, for less than your budget. It is extremely frustrating when troubles smack us unexpectedly. :hug3:

Congratulations, Miki, 15 butternut squash!  My 2 plants are flowering daily, growing arms, stretching around the garden.  Nothing is producing anything but flowers, making the bees happy.  The spices are still flourishing, which I am extremely grateful for.

I’m sitting here looking out the kitchen window, watching it rain. The hummingbirds are chasing each other all over the yard, the ones that make it to the feeder, in front of the window, sit down to sip.  Very relaxing.  Not sure what I’m going to do today. Usually, I’m outside, doing this & that, before the heat sets in.  

• Like 3

Im on my third day of pantry reorganization.  I knew it was going to be a task, but it is so much easiwer to find things now!  Scored some shelf-sized half boxes (flats?) from the beer section to use to help corral things on the shelves - they are perfect size to fit what shelves I have.  Finished the frozen veggie dehydration, today switched to dehydrating apple slices.  Today I tried soaking in citric acid to keep fro darkening.  Still a little tan, but not terrible looking.  Tomorrow I'll try ascorbic acid dip.  If that is not better I'll try the faux fruit fresh di which is a combination of citric & ascorbic acids (minus the dextrose they throw in).  Trying to see what delivers the nicest looking product.  

summer garden is slowing down.  Planted a couple rows ea of onions & carrots in blank spots.  M wants to get transplants from the local nursery for fall so I wont start any stuff he carries.  Our wnd round zucchini is doing well, we shall see if we get anything from them before frost hits, but we have a couiple months yet.  Perhaps the borers will find them first.  One of the watermelons split open, we are not sure why.  Hard for us to tell if they are ripe but another is starting to get those creamy colored areas where they were formerly light green.  I wonder if that's a hint that it is ready?

We are starting to pile up more logs from tis summers' tree for yet another woodpile, but the hard stuff (cutting & separating out branches from logs) is done.  Weather continues to be hot in daytime, but cooler (thank goodness) at night.  So I am still taking ice water & ice chunks to chill the outdoor cat's two drinking stations and they are still using the "shade tent" I rigged up on the north side of the house where it can catch any breezes.  Not many of those, but the cats seem to like it there anyway.  I wonder if the ice water & chunk of ice I put inside for them to drink are also cooling the air inside?  I'm too big to crawl down inside and check, but I hope so.

Tomorrow is payday, we will have to call the heating & ac man to check our AC unit so we can go back to having central AC again...and to make sure we get heat when we need it - its the same unit.  Wouldn't it be a laugh if it turned out to be a defective thermostadt?

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

0801191608.jpgMade baked beans and cole slaw yesterday afternoon at Church for fundraiser and served it today, then cleaned up.

Went to town to visit friend in nursing home yesterday, but she was in therapy so will try again tomorrow. Went to discount bread store for my low calorie bread and then to thrift store. Found the cutest butter dish and a great rug ($3) for the back door--coming in from goats. Will post photos.

Tomorrow is the monthly Walmart/ Kroger run plus nursing home. Sure hope to rest some Saturday! 

0731191251.jpg

Edited by snapshotmiki

Really cute finds Miki. I've never seen a butter dish like that. It is adorable!

I can't move. I had an entire quarter of a big watermelon for supper. WHY??????

Wish I hadn't done that.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Did the monthly Walmart run. Big fight in the Walmart! Was told it was two female employees. I couldn't see them as there were too many folks around them--half of them shooting video. One employee says she is quitting as she doesn't feel safe there now. Came home and DH was shocked that I spent $120 for the month. He doesn't know that I did very well. We wouldn't have a weeks worth of groceries if he shopped!

• Like 1

I know, Miki. There’s no way I can take DH, when I’m on a budget. I spent $92. for the month.   Dang, avocados are .98 cents for one!  Most were over ripe. They will have to bring down the price, unless they don’t care about throwing it away, and loosing their profit. 

Maybe you will see the video on YT. :whistling:

• Like 1

Sooo... the city called on 7/31, saying they were going to have the water off 7/30-8/1, 10 pm- 3am.  No problem. 

8/1. OM Goodness! My shower burned my eyes!  DH warned me not to get it in my mouth, but I didn’t expect it to burn my sensitive areas.  

I used bottled water water to brush my teeth & wash rag rinse off. 

I put a sample in a jar, JIC.  It smells yucky. Typical small town....  we ran the sprinklers overtime, to try to remove whatever that was from our lines.  

• Sad 1

I got some errands run and bills paid. Before I left I ordered supper from Olive Garden online. Sweet. It was ready when I got there. I went to A.C.Moore to check them out. Meh. I probably won't go back. They did have tee shirts for 3/$10.00. I got some more of them and that was all.

I was by Wal-Mart and needed some bread and milk. The place was packed with no parking places except at the very end of all the rows. I don't know if that is usual for Friday evening or not. I usually go during the day. Maybe back to school shopping? I drove on by. My fan in the family room finally died. I never liked it anyway so of course it lasted for years and years. Will try another time. Your experience was scary Miki.

I wanted to check out the canned veggie aisle. I've been watching a lot of homestead type videos and just about all of them said their Wal-Marts have a sign saying the shelves were empty due to weather or something like that. They all showed pictures of the sign. Some shelves were bare.

I wanted to get a hair cut but that didn't happen. This mop is long and hot. It needs to go. I have enough to donate to Locks Of Love. Wanted to go to Dollar Tree for some more salt and pepper shakers. They are small but nice. And only $1.00.

I can't shop like I used to.

• Like 1

And then, the oddest thing I have ever seen. I was sitting on the porch swing, enjoying the morning, after the rain the day before, when a lizard caught my attention. It had stopped on the sidewalk and was just standing there.  As I watched it, it looked like it was going to molt-shed it’s skin.  But, noooo... its pooped!  OMG, I’ve never even considered seeing something like that.  About 10 minutes later another lizard zipped out of a log, stood there and it pooped!  Never, never did I ever think I’d see something like that. Sooo.... yesterday I was sitting outside watching the birds devouring their seed, when a skink ran past my chair and stopped abruptly... his back legs lifted up...  yup, it pooped!  Good grief!   Never before, and 3 times in 2 days.  You can’t un-see stuff.

• Haha 4

Jeepers, it’s the time of month, any time after 10 am after the first of the month. WM is always packed. I try to go first thing in the morning to miss the rush.

• Like 2

I got there about 10 this morning.  Not too busy yet, but the parking lot was pretty packed when I left.

• Like 2

Just household stuff for the most part.  Did jar up a couple half pints of butter and they're in the frig.  They keep longer that way and don't take on frig smells.  Also got all the household stuff done up Monday except a load of clothes yesterday...so Abby and I are just hanging out!  Sure glad it's Friday.  The truck is in the shop and the re-man tranny is on order and he said we should have it back by Monday or Tuesday.  We had to pay for the tranny up front and then we'll pay for the rest when it's finished.  That's always a sore spot for us because the van ended up costing almost 1000$ more than the estimate!  But we must have the truck.  With the cost of pickup trucks these days you just can't afford to go out a buy a new one or even a late model one...and if you buy something cheaper you'll probably end up spending that much on it.  At least with this truck we know what we've put in it.  Hubby still has another day or so of work on step mum's house...laying down the laminate flooring and getting inside the closet was a bugger for him. She deducted the 50$ for the grain mill from his check so it's easier for us.  Those things are quite costly so we really did get a bargain.  It's been used once and is still in the box.  From what we can find online, new it costs about 200$.  I'm sure we'll find it handy for grinding different types of grains once we get moved.  Hopefully we won't get any rain for a day or so, we need to mow at the homestead big time.  Abby's little yard here needs it again...guess it's well fertilized??? LOL 

• Like 4

Well you had a crappy couple of days. :24:

I remember the first time I saw an eagle 'go' on a live web cam. They stand on the edge of the nest, lift their butt way up in the air and it shoots out. Even the babies do that. Note to self...don't stand under a bird nest.

First of the month...that explains it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

First of the month

But it's better when the crow does it's number into the palm of one's hand!  $$$:cele:

• Haha 3

BTDT. Ewwwwwww.... waiting in line for a ride at an amusement park.  Not amused. :grinning-smiley-044:

I've never had the pleasure Annarchy, but my son did when he was little. I was surprised by how bad it smelled. I still think it's odd that I hadn't considered the thought that poop would smell.  :blink:

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I've never had the pleasure Annarchy, but my son did when he was little. I was surprised by how bad it smelled. I still think it's odd that I hadn't considered the thought that poop would smell.  :blink:

Lol, ya know, I was watching the ants running trails near the lizard, and any that got off track and came near, would immediately ‘run away’. :24:

Now, I’m actually aware of the little ‘turds’ littering the sidewalk...   ewwwww.... I never would have imagined that’s what those small dark rolls were.  :shakinghead:

• Haha 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:21 AM, Annarchy said:

I never would have imagined that’s what those small dark rolls were.  :shakinghead:

I think that's what toad poop looks like, too!  LOL

Sunday had Church in the morning and cleaned house in the afternoon. Also, added some fertilizer to what is still making in the garden.

Today, got laundry going, will do some eBay drafts and photos this afternoon and clean out and inventory my craft trunk. And cut more okra.  Easy days!

• Haha 2

DH has been at new job for ......one hundred years!!!!  :0327: 

Really?  It's only been the past FIVE DAYS?   Seems like MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.  He's really struggling physically.  But he's already felt a little better after today's shift than previous four.  He'll lose the weight he gained in past few months....and have more pants to wear.  I'm washing dark load EVERY NITE so he has clean black pants/uniform shirt for the morning.  Thank goodness for modern washer/DRYER!  Waiting on tables and Hostess+bus tables, either position is MESSY.   {...or is it just DH?}   He switches off between the two positions - same uniform.  He only has 2 shirts and one pair of black pants right now.  They charge him $20 per shirt.  [yeah, a few NOT good things about this job]

Another bad thing is ...they run so short of staff.   1) everyone keeps encouraging him "PLEASE DON'T QUIT!  IT WILL GET BETTER!"  2)  No one has time to train him.....so they just throw him in.  That frustrates him.  At least give him some training on the menu and computer system!  Codes for different menu items and variations on those items.  Nope, he has to run and ask someone each time.  And makes mistakes.  He does take in data pretty quickly but.......age is telling.  After 6 hours, he goes into LA LA LAND.   Body still in motion but there better not be any more NEW things.  Data will not process.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Did I mention they're desperate and don't have a quota on mistakes?  If the tip $$ wasn't good, he would not have even tried this.  

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....suddenly I'm doing AM and PM feeding by myself.  And a whole lotta other things too.  He's home in time for PM feeding but so far, I don't have the heart to even have him help me.  He's that torn up each night.   I was sleeping later than him....and taking my time to get out for AM feeding.  Horses/ducks are not truly in need.....and dog can go out back door if she needs to.  Anyway, I realized I CAN'T wait till 10:30AM to feed and walk dog.  :grinning-smiley-044:   IT'S AUGUST, for petes sake!  It's too HOT for me to be out that late in morning.  :knary:     So I'm aiming for 9:30AM.....that was cool enough.  {the one morning I actually hit that goal....}  :whistling:    

Last nite was bad.  We didn't get house cooled down enough and he woke up and couldn't sleep.  Likely sore muscles too.  I hadn't been to sleep yet...too hot.  Ultimately, we both got about 6 hrs.....in 2 shifts.....at completely different times thru the nite/morning.  Suffice it to say....I fed at 11:30AM today.  Wore a wet, white long-sleeve shirt over tank top and kinda cut all the corners I could to get back out of the heat.  NICE breezes this week have helped.  Clouds come in the afternoon so PM feeding isn't an issue....except getting rained on.  :shrug:  Don't mind that and it keeps the dog clean.  LOL

I couldn't tell you what we've been eating.....don't think we've eaten the same meal, let alone at the same time.  He gets one half-price meal while he's there.  Today he worked 8 hrs straight with no breaks...no meal.  He just came home and didn't stay 8.5 hrs.  He likes the $ and is confident he'll learn it in a couple wks.  He'll build up stamina so it won't be such a strain.  I told him it's healthy, actually.  Like a free gym membership.  ---- He said it was closer to Boot Camp.  :rolleyes: 

Tomorrow I have AM feeding...... PLUS take the last bag [the food type stuff] out to the trash can.....PLUS I have a ride to Bible Study that DH and I started before he got this job.   Welllll, that's the plan anyway.  :shrug:   I think I'm set for this. 

Tonite we had to pour gas in my truck...it was gasping on empty and I must have it to feed.  So we did that terrible chore of filling it from the red gas containers.  The ones that have the new, stupid, Spill-Gas-On-Ground nozzle things?  How do you work those?  We took off the nozzle and used a funnel.  Still spilled but much less.  'Bout wore us out holding up that 5 gal. container as it dribbles in.....  Yay for rubber gloves! 

Groceries......since I can't drive, I can't DO that.  He stopped for bread/milk.  But when he finally gets a day off, we'll have to do that and do something with my mom.  Likely we'll take her to Walmart and we'll all shop together.  :balloons:   Party!  :buttercup:  

MtRider  ....gonna take some time to adjust to ALL aspects of this change.  :pray:  But so far, we're surviving. 

• Like 3

I mowed & edged the yard early in the morning yesterday, saving $60. for the service. Forecast was saying 110*. It did get HOT yesterday.... in the shade!

My neighbor sent me this...... she said their meter registered 117* as the highest. 

A43365D3-5A0A-4783-BFCC-3ED1770074AB.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Not only did we save, but this morning I found a folded 10 dollar bill in the yard! PTL!!!

• Like 2

We are getting storms here today. It's really black outside. Just so it doesn't turn green.

That temperature is insane. Way to go on finding the ten-er. I haven't found any folding money in a long time..

I feel bad for your DH Mt. Rider. It's hard enough starting a new job but when no one will show you the ropes it's double frustrating. At least they appreciate him. And he has pretty good job security. 

I finally went to Wal-Mart yesterday for some bread and milk. It was dead inside there. I checked out the veggie aisle. It was pretty sparse but there were no signs. They had the cans spread out so it didn't look so bare. Old retail trick. I wanted to get a few more packs of those single serving veggies in a plastic cup. Just the right size for me. But they didn't have any at all. 

I need to get the Jeep packed up and gassed up again tonight. I'm headed out to Indy tomorrow. Furniture arrives on Thursday. Now I'm going to be on the hunt for some living room stuff. The lawn chairs in there are starting to look tacky.  LOL.  I'm going cheaper on that because of you-know-who. I don't want to be worrying about stains etc. We were almost afraid to move at my grandma's house. Don't put your feet here or there. Food in the kitchen only. And every time you got up she'd straighten out the couch. The pillows were for decoration only...don't lean against them. And she had white doilies on the arms and backs of everything...starched. Sheeeesh. I'm getting some slip covers and call it a day. 

I don't have internet service out there so after tomorrow I'll be incommunicado until at least Monday. 

Son bought a used camper last week and they will be out camping so I'm planning on a productive weekend alone.  :rolleyes:

They see camper. I see bug out vehicle. :D

• Like 2

today was a "quiet" day at me.  We are expading the dog's exercise yard  little bit more so we were pounding in stakes and hanging fence, then fastening it in place.  Working in spurts because both of us would be dripping with sweat after about 30 min in the humidity.  Picked up my new eye drops at Wal Mart.  the pharmacist told me I have to lie down after putting the drlops in so they will go into the eye instead of runing out of them.  Nobody told me that was an issue with the other drops!  Maybe that is why they only lowered my eye pressure a little.  And at $40 for half an ounce it pinched the budget!  Now that the deduction has started for my health insurance (my hoarded sick-time bank finally ran out) that was quite a pinch.  

I cant go without them though, so I shall have to ask for generic next time, maybe that will help.  Not having drops for glaucoma is not an option I choose either.  

The garden is starting to peter out so we are working on fall garden preparations now.  We planted some carrot & beet seeds for the fall garden, but the zucchini (2nd planting) might give us something yet.  Its coming along nicely.  I', dehydrating yellow sweet peppers & okra now, and we are trying our first watermelon tomorrow. I guess we will find out if we got it right when we declared it "ripe" after thunking on it, LOL.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Sheeeesh. I'm getting some slip covers and call it a day. 

Good Grma!!!  :thumbs:    Have a safe and productive trip.  ENJOY your really neat new furniture!!!!  :happy0203:

1 hour ago, kappydell said:

Not having drops for glaucoma is not an option I choose either.  

True!  No messing around with one's vision.  :hug3: 

DH came home in much better shape.  He's adjusting.  I'm .....tired!  But I'm adjusting to the vastly different schedule too...mostly.  It will work....for a while.

MtRider  :offtobed:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.