MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Poor Abby girl!  Storms like that can really be torture to one's nervous system.  Koa doesn't react to storms but we've had two CRASH type events that even got a startled BARK! out of her.  Made us jump too. 

That's a load of elderberries.  :cheer:   I picked a handful of our tiny purple currants.  One of the very FEW wild edibles that are up this high.  But most weren't ready yet.  A few more days and get them before the birds.  I cut the top off a plastic gallon milk jug but keep the handle....for my picking container.   Currants are small...and singular.  From the size of a BB to maybe double that.  Smaller than a pea.  AND THORNY!  But they have a burst of flavor we love in pancakes. 

DH got us some blueberries so I froze 3/4ths of them.  They don't keep otherwise and are just fine frozen.

Got my trash out to the bin today.  Got the septic lids uncovered .....that shouldn't happen anymore since they've stopped all that horrid erosion by putting in the diversion ditch above that location.  :thumbs:   Got me, dog, and truck out of the way at the top.....down doing AM feeding by 9AM when huge, heavy septic pumper truck arrived.  J came too so she could sign off the paperwork.  THAT'S done for another several years.....one does NOT want to neglect doing that!  

Had a number of DUMB things happen....soap slipped to bathroom floor and somehow got mashed on the underside of the old-fashioned weight scale.  Took me near a half hour to get that cleaned up.  But..... :lol:  ....my mom told what she did today.  Was in the spare room putting clean sheets on bed my niece used.  She saw something on the floor and thot maybe niece had forgotten a picture.  When she picked it up...it was an insect glue board  and stuck to her hand something awful.  Oye!  Those brainless moments can be quite annoying!!!!!!  :rolleyes:  [get the glue board glue to release with cooking oil, btw]

MtRider  .....can I be NOT busy tomorrow, please?  :0327:  

• Like 1

Pulled the Elderberries out of the frig, gave them a good boil, strained them through my linen cloth, jarred them up in quarts...got 7 with an extra qt and a half pt that's going to the frig.  I'll finish the rest of them tomorrow.  Couldn't get enough water in my pressure canner to water bath quarts so just pressured them for the 10 minutes that they called for water bath.  I just pressure can the juice, nothing added, not even sugar.  That way I can make syrup or jelly when I want.  Wanna see?

101_1134 Elderberry Juice 8-2019.jpg

• Like 3

Made it to TX safely.  Storms to the north east most of the way. 

Wind began to blow after I got here, stronger & stronger.  Then the power blinked off and back on, now it is pouring out with lightening and thunder. Haven’t seen it rain like this in a while. Kind of relaxing compared to clear skies and 110F* , lol

Speaking of temperature, it was 106 when I left the house, Tucson, an hour later was 109.  Most of the trip was triple digits, but it did fall to 99 as I crossed into TX.

And, it appears, the highway department is beginning to fix the nasty part of I-10, in sections.  Meaning, slow traffic crammed into one lane.  Patience is a virtue...  lol.

• Like 3

Prepping up the rest of the elderberries.  They're in my stock pot simmering...for 45 minutes.  Then into the pressure canner they'll go.

Check the price of Elderberry juice online and I was astounded at the price these places are selling this for!  WOW

Hubby is working on current client's needs and she's tickled pink.  Probably mentioned this before, but single women really are prey to shady workers with little to no skill and no work ethic.  She was going to pay him some in advance and he said "Nope...that's not the way I do things."  Imagine her surprise! LOL

It's very warm and humid in our neck of the woods and he's now working outside on her screened porch.  The supports were rotted out (it's a raised porch) so he's had to undo all the "slobber" someone else put over the rotting wood and re-construct the framing and supports with new wood....would like to "konk" some of them!  Her latch fell off her front gate...again, someone just put in some small wood screws.  He'll save her front porch for last....it's a mess.  Lots of termite damage and dangerous.  She's had the premises treated so his work should be safe for a long time, but she should still have it checked periodically to make sure those nasty critters don't try to come back.

• Like 2

I don't like those kind of storms either. Sounds like a lightning bolt is landing right outside the door. They do scare the stuffin's out of you. Poor little Abby Girl. I hide under the covers so I don't see the lightning flash. :blush:

Berries look beautiful!  Lovely jars. Most time I'd rather pressure can than water bath can. Don't know why though. I bought a big glass lid a few years back to use for my WB canner. it's really nice because you can see right down into the pot to see how hard the water is boiling or if it's maintaining a rolling boil. I don't remember if it only fits my !little canner or the big one too. Got it at Wal-Mart. 

That kind of heat scares me. Hope there are plenty of gas stations on your route. 

I hope I can find someone half as good as MrWe2 when I get moved. I have a ton of little things that needs done. Some not so little. I've got a list started. I'd like to hire someone to come out for a few days in a row and get it all over and done with at once. Best laid plans...

I hope someone can fix my kitchen base cabinets. They are very poorly designed. The one shelf inside of them is only about 18 inches wide. That wastes a lot of space plus I can't reach anything on the shelves because everything has to sit so far back. I would like one or two of them like that for tall pots but not all of them. Probably drill holes in the sides for some pegs and a shelf to sit on top? 

Next year outside work has to be done. The landscaping looks like Grey Gardens and the deck needs replaced and it needs some sort of shade over the deck. Pergola maybe? Screened in porch would be nice but that ain't gonna happen. Need some fencing too. All the screen wire needs replaced too. I can do that though. New light fixrures. New mail box....sigh. 

• Like 3

So much to do with a new home @Jeepers!  

Woohoo! Got one of those fancy BMI type scales for $5.30 and an electric blanket--not throw-- for $10 at Dirt Cheap! So rarely go in there as I don't want to take the time to really look, but today was the day. Also got a haircut which was not dirt cheap! LOL

• Like 3
5 hours ago, The WE2's said:

would like to "konk" some of them!

yeah, I'll bet.  My brother runs into that in D.C.   Sometimes makes the job twice as hard and twice the expense.  :(  The ladies are lucky to have your dh fixing things right!  :thumbs:  

Didn't do much today.  Little here and there.  Woke up with DH hurrying out the door at 5AM and didn't get back to sleep til 7:30AM.   I can't fight it so I ate a cheese biscuit and read Anne of Green Gables til I got sleepy again.  Woke a second time at 10:30AM and thus was outside doing AM chores in the hotter part of morning.  [AZ climate is not even within my reality!]  So I wore skimpy top with a white cotton shirt draped over my shoulders.  Sometimes I wet it but the breeze was ok today.  So glad for A/C and swamp cooler.  Been comfortable this summer....even when we didn't have clouds today.

With AM and PM walking the dog.....I need a pedometer to see how far I'm walking.  A bit less than a mile each day?  :woohoo:  Some days I cut that way short but still.....   DH needs a pedometer at work cuz I know he's putting on mileage too. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

Had to replace the plywood I had put on mom’s door. Even though I sealed it, it warped and water got underneath cause it to pull away from the door.  Hopefully, using a piece of 1/8” hard plastic sheeting and screwing in on securely with a whole tube of caulk, it’ll survive for a while. I have to get another tube of caulk tomorrow to finish sealing all the edges. 

Hey, I need MrWE2’s to do some work too.  Just kidding.  I’ll end up doing it myself. I really wouldn’t want to torture him in our heat. If you’re not used to it, it’ll kill you.  Love the jars.  Too bad we don’t get fresh produce around our area.  Not unless you want to pay more for it, than buying it already processed. 

Turned my attention to Mom’s shrubs.  Ha!  They are as tall as I am now.  Trimmed the insides and tops, somewhat, before the heat got to me.  

DH said it was 110F* at home.  Then, said at 7 pm, it finally dropped to 100.

Jeepers, maybe consider those pull out shelves.  I have a couple cabinets that are deep.  I loose things in the back.  Always wanted to install pullout shelves, but have never gotten around to it.

Don’t work to hard Mt_R.  If you have a smart phone, they have an app that counts your steps.  Glad to hear your weather has been kind to you.

Congrats on you deals, Miki.  

Oh, TheCG, that cold front warmed up to 97 today.  Another chance for rain tomorrow according to the news. 

• Like 2
  • So far today:
    Roasted radishes. made Creole stewed okra, have cinnamon apples dehydrating in the oven.
    Next? Work on Mason jar lid Christmas ornaments and them maybe do some eBay.
    Having a fun day!
  • Like 3

Wellllllllll, today I did the usual things in the morning.  DH's 7th day to work.  Sat/Sunday he has off.  We're not sure if he's always going to be 7 on and 2 off?  :scratchhead:  That's overtime....  He wasn't even looking for full-time.  :buttercup:  

Very hot when I got back inside  so took shower/wash hair.  I stick my foot on bathroom window sill to dry leg/foot...so I can reach it!  Done it this way for over 2 decades.  TODAY ....I lost balance for a second and went backwards towards shower entrance.  Caught myself ....but at some expense.  Elbow was point of contact  ...SMACK!  OW!  But the collateral damage was to the muscles around that shoulder and my ever-fragile neck.  Oh shoot!  THAT REALLY HURT about an hour later.  I rarely take even one....MAYbe two Nuprin in a single day.  I took 2 Nuprin and later a Tylenol.  Finally got pain control and it's been okay since.  But I'll take another Nuprin before I sleep.  Pain got my nervous system to shakin' and wore me out!!  :0327:  No walking dog for me tonite. 

DH had a very BUSY time at work but had gooood tips.  So he's willing to put up with it.  He ran into the larger town to get a headlamp for his car.  Stopped to grab the groceries off the list.  When it came time to haul groceries UP with our pulley system, I did ok with the potato chip bags....but switched places with him.  I wasn't in any shape to haul up but I could put the grocery bags onto the rope hook. 

I was so locked up when my chiro got home, hours after the elbow-crack event, we decided not to try an adjustment tonite.  He can see tomorrow if I knocked something out of place or merely aggravated the muscles.     I could have done without that event today.  Sheeesh!  Thankful I didn't land splat on my back tho.  :amen:   VERY little room to do my usual tuck 'n roll.  Too small to even fit a tub in that bathroom.  ...and then there was my foot up on the window sill...... aiiee!

MtRider  .....been weeks or a couple months since I've had a fall.  :rolleyes:  Y'all be careful out there! 

• Sad 3

I hope you feel a bit better this morning, Mt.  Rider!  

I got ham bone and butter beans in the slow cooker with lots of added veggies--and spice!  Going to a 90 year old lady's Birthday party this afternoon.  not sure what else.

• Like 1

Took our grand-nephew to Creation Museum and Ark Encounter in Kentucky last week. Spent 7 days camping, fishing, and exploring. :hapydancsmil:Had a great time and told him lots of stories about his Pepaw (my brother). He died four years ago and little nephew's world fell apart. Now we have lots of stories and laughter to share around the campfires. Fishing wasn't bad either.  :happy0203:

Will I EVER catch up with the garden????  :0327:  :scratchhead:

Tyler.jpg

• Like 6

Been kind of slow around here lately. Seem like we are getting storms every evening. I've been gorging on fresh fruits while they are still in season. Probably not so great for the blood sugar but what's ya gonna do. Even the healthy food is bad for you any more. I'm also trying to fight off the dreaded migraine again. Ugh, my jaws ache. First sign.

I tried to make a doctor appointment but wasn't very successful. When you call you don't get the doctors office anymore. They route you through the big Metro Hospital they are affiliated with. She asked me my first and last name two different times and for my phone number two different times. Pay attention to me woman. Nothing changed in the last five minutes. It was down hill from there. 

I need blood work before I see the doctor. Used to be you just walked in to the back part of the building. It may still be that way. I couldn't get an answer out of her. She said I needed a doctor appointment. I said I need the blood work first. She said okay, you need an appointment. WHERE? Doctor or a lab? I said okay and she just hung up. I'm not paying for an office call just to have the doctor tell me I need blood work before I get prescriptions renewed. I'm going to have to go over there tomorrow and talk face to face with someone to figure out how to get blood work done. Crimony. Why does everything have to be so difficult. I really dislike the medical field now. I have no faith in it. Not that I was ever lock step with it but now you have to go through too many people to get one simple answer. I'm not paying for an extra appointment for nothing.  :pout:

One of the problems is that switchboard services all the doctor offices they are affiliated with so they have no idea what the procedures and quirks each office has. Now if I was in charge......never mind. Bankruptcy.

She said a strange (to me) thing. She said, I see you have Medi-Care and a supplemental plan. THANK YOU FOR THAT! Not sure what she was thanking me for. Not like anything was coming out of her pocket. And I pay dearly for that insurance plan. That was the nicest thing she said to me the entire conversation .

And I still haven't got that turn signal light fixed or got my hair cut. Sloth. 

• Sad 3
3 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I tried to make a doctor appointment but wasn't very successful. When you call you don't get the doctors office anymore. They route you through the big Metro Hospital they are affiliated with. She asked me my first and last name two different times and for my phone number two different times. Pay attention to me woman. Nothing changed in the last five minutes. It was down hill from there. 

I feel your pain, Jeepers. I finally switched to the VA and do everything online. So much has changed with the current federal administration. :hapydancsmil: We're actually treated like everyone else and the VA has really ramped up their marketing and customer service. I also like having all my meds mailed to me. Just order them online and have them sent out. If I'm running out of refills, I just contact my local provider and they rewrite the presc or have me come in for blood-work and office call (one hour apart). I'm SO BLESSED, and I don't mind the low co-pays!  Makes up for the Vietnam war!   :happy0203:

• Like 4

Sorry about your computer Ambergris. 

Kappydell, sounds like the doctors around here. 

Sounds like an excellent deal, Homesteader. 

Laundry day from my trip to TX.  Refilled the hens food & water.  Watered the lawn deep because of the heat, we got up over 112F*.  

Cooking wings & tots tonight, in the air fryer.  DH found the vinegar powder for salt & vinegar wings. I think I can make my own now.  Beats paying $6.99/lb at the store. Total cost tonight is $11. for the 4 lb. package of 13 wings & I will use the fingers for chicken bone broth/stock.  I do appreciate the air fryer compared to boiling oil.  Takes about the same amount of time with a fraction of the oil.

"Guest Amber Actually" ......  :groooansmileyf:    Not again! 

Jeepers  .......:groooansmileyf:   Not again.....both the doctor appointment problems AND..... :pray:  you do not have another bad migraine!!!  :(   Course dealing with such "helpful" folks over the phone would be enough to create a migraine.  :motz_6:

Homesteader..... I am truly glad to hear that the VA stuff is greatly improved.  The gal and her dh that I gardened with are both VA and ...the stories they told!  UNacceptable! 

Annarchy....sheeeeeesh!  With that heat, you don't need an air fryer device.  Just put into the sun with that bit of oil!  :knary:   How is your MIL and her next door neighbor?

Today I got AM chores done and went to Bible study with my ride.......who had a miraculous story to tell.  She VERY nearly died just 2 days after she'd dropped me off 2 wks ago.  Zero white blood cells SepsisShock.  Very critical very suddenly.  And where did her and her dh end up as this began to happen?  .....in the very hospital in the city [instead of our rural one] that had a specialty for this sort of thing.  If they'd gone to this one, she'd have been in transit to the specialty one when she suddenly went bad.  God's timing.  :amen:  And she's allergic to all antibiotics but they didn't have a choice.....and she had no allergic reaction.  She looked pretty good today, considering the terrible medical drama she'd endured.  A little pale tho. 

Then she ended up helping me.  I think I was getting overheated just enough to drop my energy out the bottom.  Happened twice...when we arrived and again when I lifted my ultra-light, wonderful new wheelchair back into her car.  I'd recovered during the study from the first time and then it happened again.  Felt like someone "opened my toe and my energy drained out quite suddenly".  :lol:  That's a phrase from a long-ago friend of mine ....regarding MS.  Quite descriptive.  So....L and I kinda reorganized procedures at my house.  She lifted my chair out and didn't even try to get it up our stairs.  Stuck it under the porch.  I managed to walk up our 15 steps with her behind me.  Then she brought my bag up.  It wouldn't have worked for her to go up and send the dog down the steps to help me as she's trained to do.  Silly dog would think L was there to adore her and .....  :grinning-smiley-044:   .... L is a cat person.  Koa is just toooo much dog.   Anyway, it worked.  I got a [pre-made] sandwich into me.  A small rootbeer float into me......just in case I was overheating, y'know.  And rested for the afternoon.   I'm doing ok now....tired.  But....THAT is why I rarely go places without DH.  Fortunately  :amen:  someone wanted to change work days with DH and he came home to say he has next Tuesday off.  He can go to the last Bible Study day of this summer.  :)  It's safer that way.  

It's nearly 11pm and a thunderstorm is rolling in.  It's taking it's sweet time about it.  Our storms are rarely at nite...usually late afternoon/early evening.  Hasn't rained in 3 days so this will settle the dust again. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

I'm so glad to hear the VA has stepped up their game! Ugh.The Viet Nam War. it still sorrows my heart when I hear those words. I was coming of age all through the midst of it. I personally knew some boys (not yet men) who lost their life. True hero's because they were drafted and had no choice but to go. By the grace of God my D-ex didn't have to go to Nam. His number wasn't called. We were stationed in Japan and Taiwan for the two year over seas tour. Two years stateside and a two in Asia. I still blame Agent Orange for my BIL brain cancer he was right in the thick of it doing two tours of duty. Sheesh. I don't know where that came from. A little PTSD rearIng its ugly little triggered head tonight I guess. 

I didn't get Ms Sunshine's name. She probably gave it when she answered the phone but that's long forgotten.I think she thought our conversation was over but clue number one should have been me still talking. I think there should be a law that both party's must clearly say goodbye to each other before anyone gets to hang up. Maybe a little have a nice day or how are the grand kids. Or how about those Steelers this year. Has it been hot enough for ya? I told the furniture guy I loved him a few weeks back. It was an accident but he felt happy awhile. I forgot I wasn't talking to my son. I could tell the minute she started talking her heart wasn't in it. Slow talker and asking the same questions over. Like my name address and phone number. 

I had a similar issue a year or so ago with one of those desk people. Told me my scan was to be external and go ahead a pee. Turned out I had to sit there chugging water to get the bladder extended for an Internal scan. I wasn't prepared for that and was pretty unhappy because the scan girl acted like I should have known the difference. I did what the.prep people told me to do.

I think someone.has a tude tonignt.. :sigh:

• Like 2

Jeepers - do you like Asian food today? Our life in SE Asia made me hate rice at first. I longed for just one little potato!   :whistling:  Even today, I don't do much rice (starchy carb), but do love the stir-fry foods. I miss the foods of Japan.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 1