MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today was a "rest" day....sort of.   Tuesday was my pension day, so we stocked up groceries.  Lots.  Also ordered & purchased our Christmas decorations before they all get snapped up.  Some we wanted are gone already.  So today I put stuff away, finished organizing our pantry, etc.  It is still full but at least we can see & find things now.  Top to bottom.  Moved some stuff to other locations in the house.  Put about 12 boxes of jerky in the freezer (no way we can eat it fast enough).  Moved other things to the  "rotate & use me soon" shelf.   We picked up some Bragg's Aminos when we shopped.  Going to try it out instead of soy sauce, it has half the sodium of even the reduced sodium soy sauce (hooray!).  I was watering down the reduced salt stuff trying to get it lower.  If it is anywhere as tasty as Bragg's Nutritional Yeast turned out to be (best I've ever eaten, I can see why people use it for seasoning....its THAT good) then we have another winner.  I don't mind paying the extra IF IT IS BETTER.   Also picked up some parboiled/converted rice to try.  I read that it has a lower glycemic value than 'regular' rice, so that is all to the good.  It stores just as long as plain white rice.  Sounds like a win-win.

Our tiniest kitten (Lucky, we call her) went thru another one of her 9 lives.  First one was when Dodger (dog) found her outdoors in ultra hot weather, gasping for air and we brought her and her momma indoors to save her life .  This time we found her in the living room after coming home from shopping, again gasping & crying.  It looked like one of the chihuahuas tried to play with her (like they do with the older kittens) and got rougher than she could handle.  We nursed & pampered her, now she is recovering from her roughing up (AND we shut the door when we are not present to monitor her visitors!)  She is about 6 weeks, just starting to eat solid food; the older kittens are twice her size and do play with the doggies so we really cant blame them for their boo-boo.  Actually the funniest is when the outdoor kitties, who adore the dogs,  play with the dogs.  the one we actually named "puppy" because sometimes he acts like he things he is a dog!  

Yesterday went to the eye doc, he said my intraocular pressure is now just "high normal" instead of  "holy crap!"  He renewed eye drops, says if I need more & the pharmacy gets bucky have them call him.  I still miss more than I would like while 'dropping my eyes" LOL

tried out a recipe I found for home made cheesy bread (like the pizza places sell).  It was a success, so we will probably pick up the ingredients to have on hand when we do "pizza nights".  We already add our own toppings to cheese pizzas to get exactly what we like/need so it was nice to find a cheesy bread recipe to go with so we can make that, too.  I'll post the recipe in the kitchen thread if anyone is interested.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

The converted rice cooks differently, so read the instructions and adjust your expectations.  I like the result better. It also has a lot more nutrients in it.

Those itty bitty kitties do take some extra coddling, sometimes for a few weeks and sometimes for life.  You never know.  

You are pinching up your eyelid to make a pocket,  touching knuckle of dropping hand to knuckle of pinching hand so your hands each know where the other is,  and dropping into the eyelid pocket, right?

Edited by Ambergris
5 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The converted rice cooks differently, so read the instructions and adjust your expectations.  I like the result better. It also has a lot more nutrients in it.

Those itty bitty kitties do take some extra coddling, sometimes for a few weeks and sometimes for life.  You never know.  

You are pinching up your eyelid to make a pocket,  touching knuckle of dropping hand to knuckle of pinching hand so your hands each know where the other is,  and dropping into the eyelid pocket, right?

no im lying down (pharmacist recommended it to allow the drops to be absorbed by the eye better).  Most of the time I make a pocket (bigger target) look down the barrel of the dropper then glance away when I drop it.  3 out of 4 times it works, but the other time my dropping hand moves a bit so I miss.  I'll have to try the knuckles touching thing.  I cant look up at the correct angle to drop them in sitting up and miss most of the time when I sit.  A drag.  I hate the drops.  i also am having supply issues - the bottles are opaque so I cant tell when drops are running low (shaking does not help) so I run out without notice, and the pharmacies around here ALL do not keep it on hand.  So there is a wait until it gets shipped in.  What frustrates me is the indifference of the pharmacy employees.  They screw up orders, lose things, etc and do NOT understand that I do not live 5 minutes away so I can just keep coming back.  over and over and over.  nor do they even pretend to give a rats a$$.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kappy, maybe your eye doctor could write out a script for two bottles with one refill just one time, if you are having a supply issue with the pharmacist. That way you would always have a couple of bottles in reserve. Or ask if they have any samples you can store away. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Especially if they know you are having trouble with the pharmacy and the distance you have to go to get them.

Maybe she/he could write a script for a couple of bottles at a different pharmacy just one time to get a reserve backed up. Don't know how they are there but over here they will try to assist you if they know you aren't trying to pull a scam. It's not like you are asking for meth. 

Maybe you had them sitting on the back of the toilet and the cat jumped up and knocked them in the toilet after you had already peed. So now you need a replacement bottle. Right away. 

If all else fails, pull the *S card and say you can't always remember where you put the bottle so you need a back up bottle. Now! Or else you will send Chainsaw Mary in for a little chat. That name alone should merit you a couple of cases. 

Or the other *S card. Threaten that if you go blind for lack of eyedrops, you will sue them for everything they, and their children,  ever thought about owning. Do they want to take that chance over one extra bottle of life saving eyedrops? I think not! 

We preppers are creative critters. 

*senior. 

*sue em.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can barely walk today because of all the walking I did yesterday. My back is screaming out. But I really want some plums and bananas so I'm going to go to the fruit market anyway. Maybe some blueberries too. Won't be long until the fresh plums and peaches will be no more for a season. Tomatoes too. 

I've been to the Dollar Tree 3 times now and each time I forgot about the readers. There is one right around the corner from the market so I'm going to stop in there and try again. Sigh. Ollie is down the road so I think I'll stop in and look at their books since I thought about them yesterday. Probably won't get anything but I can check it out anyway. 

Wish I would have gotten a bale of toilet paper while I was at Sam's yesterday. I think that's the first time I've ever walked out of there without one. I don't really need any more but somehow I feel like I cheated myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh My. Hold onto my heart Molly looks a lot like my Muffin did.

I don't know about the pool noodle collar though. I wonder if they could get their back foot stuck in the twine trying to scratch it off? Muffin never had to wear one so I don't know a lot about them.

• Like 1

I spoke too soon yesterday about not having a headache. Nuts.

Went to the Dollar Tree and finally got some more readers. I got the plastic ones this time. They had more strengths this time. 1.00 to 3.00 something. They had them all except the 3.00. Must be a popular strength. I'll put that one on my 'running list'...never to be seen again. I stopped in Ollies but wasn't tempted. Ended up at the fruit market and bought more veggies than fruit. Fruit season is winding down here. Got a lot of cukes, green onions and tomatoes for a salad that will last me through Saturday. A couple of extra tomatoes for tomato mayo sandwiches.

By the time I thought about hair cut and turn signal, it was too late to go. Maybe if I wait long enough another signal will blow and I can get a two-fer. Positive thinking.

It is warm out but every once in a while you could feel cold in the wind. Very overcast too. Rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I think I've got my running around done for awhile now. Soc. Sec. check is spent.  Jeepers is grounded.

Forgot to say, I'm with you Midnightmom on the two aluminum baking pans I have. I only use them a few times a year and aluminum is the only ones in that shape I've seen. So I'll keep living on the edge.

Edited by Jeepers
Wasn't Finished
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL  ....those cones won't keep my long legged dog from licking on her front foot.  ....unless she's so entertained by tearing things to pieces.  That might work.  :lol:   I'm not sure anyone would carry a size to fit Mz. X-L-Head either.  That's a lotta nose sticking out.  ;)  Anyway, the bitter orange seems to be working...but we do have to reapply. 

I sat out in our sunshine today for a half house  ....hour.   :buttercup:   My hand to brain communications are not working....along with feeling like a wet noodle....and ....   ANYway, besides the tormenting WIND from having the Jet Stream blowing thru [it's finally moved!]  ...I realized it is FALL.  Need sunshine in eyes for fighting S.A.D.  Usually that really helps....at least that issue.  

I give up.  I'm retyping x3...trying to make real works...er, words!!!!!  :gaah:   AND my laptop seems to be working in slower and slower speeds.  Hit a key....take a nap....hit enter...take a nap. 

MtRider  Hmph!

• Sad 1

Whew, it’s been busy around here. Mowed, edged the front lawn.  The city repaved our road... chip sealed, 2 days later, it looks shiny.  Went grocery shopping, went over budget, however, we needed the food.  Paid monthly bills, and began preparing for my trip to TX, next week. 

Received a new stainless steel pressure cooker, washed it, but didn’t remove the over pressure valve, figuring cleaning the inside was good enough.  After cooking, I pushed it in and it sliced my finger like a hot knife through butter. Probably about 1/4 th inch along my fingernail.  Bleeding like a spout, I poured peroxide, alcohol  and slapped a tight bandage on it.  Really?!? Sent Presto an email....

Today, they called me back, “return it, prepaid”,and they will send me a new one. Asked if I went to the Dr.  Naw, tight bandage was good enough, however, it was still bleeding rather profusely during my shower last night.  DH said I should have gotten a stitch or two.  Meh, I don’t like the doctors here.  They said they would pay the medical bills.  

Our friend, the landscaper, scalped our front lawn yesterday and planted winter rye.  Humph, after I did all that work...  Anyway, he asked if I wanted some bags of composted mulch, that was over a year old, in his trailer, because the bags were breaking open. Oh you bet ya!  3, 50lb bags!  So....

This morning, I split them open & spread it around the garden. Removed some Chaste trees, put them in 5 gal. buckets, (if any one wants one, let me know.), and transplanted my iris bulbs.  They didn’t like the intense heat where they were.  Hopefully, they will like the area I moved them to.

Then, I was able to finish DH’s UTV top, to match the seat covers I made a few months ago... he is pleased. That is all that matters. Wanna see?  

33881659-AA36-4488-A6A9-E0D6B9C8284A.jpeg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

The only aluminum cookware I have are my Guardian Service roaster and a stock pot. Don't see myself getting rid of them any time soon. :eclipsee_Victoria:

I still use my aluminum cookware, and even added some from Goodwill. They supplement the cast iron and S.S. pots and pans.  :whistling:

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Wow Annarchy. Is there anything you can't do? You are awesome. :bow:

There is A LOT I am unable to do.  Lol.

My Grandmother taught me to sew, then, Home economics class in school.

• Like 2

4-H taught both my mom and I to sew.  :thumbs:

=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Moving on to TODAY at Mt_Rider house

:gaah:   :gaah:  :gaah:  

DH's 10yr old laptop died 2 days ago.   He began using an itty bitty teeny tiny laptop he'd bought cheap to finish out business stuff. 

My laptop's been acting slower and weirder this week.  Backed up everything this morning.  CUZ.........my laptop decided to go on strike today and AFTER DH left for work, I couldn't get it to get onto Internet.  So he's unavailable to ask:  WHAT IS YOUR PIN TO OPEN IttyBittyTeenyTiny?

30 min of guessing ....he has just now started writing himself a memory sheet for such codes.... depending for the past decade on his old computer to have all that.   I was guessing WITH his new code sheets.  :misc-smiley-231:   HIS codes and HIS notes make no sense to me.

We have a church member in hospital/rehab so there are Prayer Updates going out for him almost daily....that's me.  So once I finally get  IttyBittyTeenyTiny OPEN  ....THEN I have to try to get to my email and the church email....cuz yes, there is another update for J that I need to send out.  EVENTUALLLLLLY I got TINY to let me use my stuff.  Eventually Google let me into the church account.  I could have used DH's old laptop easily cuz my stuff is already in there.  But Me and MyStuff is all a new entity to this computer.  I have grande patience for some things .....and ZERO for electronic devices.  View as enemy.  :darthduck:    Added to that....I've tried all my strengths of reader glasses and none of them gives me a clear view on TINY.  .....well, the ones that broke in middle and have yet to be replaced [cuz I can barely get out of bed] would likely work.  The ones I'm wearing require the screen to be about a foot from my face.  <_<    

So if I drop out of sight.....it's temporary.  Take comfort in knowing I must resist throwing this particular computer across room.....cuz DH has important business stuff still on this one.....  :sigh: 

MtRider is not a happy camper!  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm right there with you on the computer thing. I only like mine when it works which is getting less often these days. One day last week it took me nearly an hour to boot it up and then get on line. Made me so anxious I wanted to pitch the thing in the back yard. Some days it's better than others. Now when I know I want to get online I start an hour early so I won't get so frustrated. I get so angry at this thing.

I have the Kindle Fire but the screen is so small and the keyboard is tiny. Not senior friendly. And I can't do much on it. It only opens one thing at a time. I don't know which is happening faster...the gadgets are getting smaller and smaller or if my fingers are getting bigger and bigger. Toss up I'd guess.

Suppose I should take some responsibility though. I'm still using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer. :blush:  But I'm so comfortable with it and I have all of "My Favorites" websites sorted into folders. And some of those folders inside other folders. Hundreds of them.

I ate a salad today and 2 plums and now my intestines feel like they are on fire. Dang, the cramps hurt bad enough to pass out. It's happened before. Sigh, tomorrow is another day. Its after 9:00pm and "Steve" with a suspicious Indian accent just called. Do they ever stop? I can't block on the land line. It was an actual person. If I would have felt better I would have...engaged. I'm in a mood.  :baseballbat:

• Sad 3

We didn't learn much in our Home Ec. class in school. Actually we learned the basics of different things but nothing indepth. First semester we learned how to operate a sewing machine and how to knit. But not how to really make anything except how to knit a pair of slippers. I found the same pattern on line. I'd like to make a pair if I can find a similar yarn. It was sort of spongie. We learned how to sew a jumper or as they were called back then, a shift. We were graded on our progress and not a finished product. Second semester was about measuring ingredients to make a casserole. Our teacher was the same one who taught my mother when she was in school. 

When my son went, all the boys and girls had to take two years of Home Ec. They didn't call it that. Can't remember what it was. Life skills maybe. It was really nice. He made a pair of shorts at school and another pair at home and learned how to cook simple meals. The second semester they learned about how to run a household like cleaning and dishwashing and laundry. Second semester was about family life and child care. Parents would bring their little kids in so the students could "practice" on them. Supervised of course. The next two years were about shop, simple car maintenance and gardening. It was a very small country school with about 400 kids from K-12. They depended on the parents guidance a lot. The school has grown by leaps and bounds and expanded so much it's unrecognizable now. 

Funny the things you remember. That's the kind of education I'd like grandson to have. Practical everyday useful skills. He's in a private preschool right now and they "seem" to be following along those lines. We'll see. He's only 3. :D

• Like 4

Memories... lol

I loved the long flannel nightgowns Grandmother made us each year, it inspired me.  

Mom let me pick out my pattern for the sewing project, a pair of overalls, and she got me some denim.  My teacher had to help, setting the tension on the machine, due to the heavyweight material, both tensions had to be adjusted.  She suggested I had chosen a pattern too advanced for my skills.  And because the class was a mix of 7-12th graders, my older sister was in my class, (she was very critical and needling me, most of the time.) That made me try even harder.  After I finished it, I hand embroidered a design on the pockets.  I only got an A on it, because of needing help with the tension. :rolleyes:  I wore the overalls until I out grew them, then, my sister wore them for over 20 years. She made me feel, all that work was worth it.  :wub:

Every time I make a salad, I remember being taught, rip the lettuce, don’t cut, and we were graded on the size of the pieces, they had to be fork size, just right to fit in your mouth.  Ripped lettuce stays fresh longer than cut lettuce.  

We had an amazing teacher.

• Like 4

Sorting clothes.  Short sleeved tops at least two sizes too big might fit over the brace.  We'll see.  All other tops washed, folded,  sorted by size and sleeve length.    The rest is a bit overwhelming.  I keep picking up one thing and losing the last thing I had in my hand.  Finding A and losing B.  Finding B and losing A.  Back to laundry.

• Sad 4

Today will finish packing the office, because it will move to another building during my leave.  Luckily,  the last bit of that won't take five minutes, because I also need to finish up the last three projects I had been working on and hand off the other cases.  I should have made a lot of headway on them Friday, but on Friday and Saturday I was not thinking very clearly at all.  Sunday was better, and hopefully today will be as well.  I said I was going to have to work from home for at least three weeks, and they said to go ahead and take sick leave (I have lots of sick leave stored up) until my vacation kicks in.  So, okay!

This plan assumes the doctor fills out the FMLA forms I faxed over.  

The doctor plans to insert a pump to dispense a pain-killer (as yet unidentified) over the course of the first few days after the shoulder surgery.  They have also prescribed few dozen of the pills that are all over the news because they are potentially addictive and, more to the point as far as I'm concerned, nastily constipating.  I am planning to use a lot more ice packs and a lot fewer pills, but you know what they say about plans.  He said I would not be able to reach up to wash my hair for six weeks, so I got it cut really short (again) and checked to make sure the salon over by the grocery store still charges only $3 to shampoo,  and I'm in business.  When it's short enough, I can shower a couple of times, then go have it shampooed, and it's good.

• Like 5

:cheer:   Yay, MrsS is back on......and my computer is back to behaving.  My brain...not so much.  I definitely have MS Fall Fatigue Thing this year.  I just drop  :faint3:  all energy with no rhyme/reason.  Some days are completely awful....not-getting-out-of-bed-awful.  Then a day of respite.  :shrug:  

Yesterday I was able to go into town with DH.  He was going grocery shopping.  First we stopped at Walgreens to get my reader glasses replaced.  Got 2 pair exactly like I've been wearing.  I like them.  Readers usually break because my head circumference ....therefore the width of my head,  is greater than average.  Puts too much pressure on average width glasses.  I think that's what popped the screw holding the nose piece to the lens.  :tapfoot:   Some have snapped the bows within 2 months. 

Then DH dropped me off at my folks.  I hadn't been able to get in to visit....meaning my mom hasn't had a break in more than 3 wks.  She was overly glad to get someone to talk to in person.  Sad.  We finished off a puzzle.  Sat in the sunshine for S.A.D. maintenance.  Then I lay on the bed in the main floor bedroom...her books and projects room.  Just visited.  Then DH came to pick me up.  A very full day for me especially after we zipped all the grocery sacks up the rope/pulley when we got home. 

Sheeesh, I have not walked the dog in ...5 days?  I think I will tonite cuz DH is working.  I'm not feeling Fall Fatigue today.  It comes.  It goes.  It doesn't ask permission.  Hmph!

I was in 4-H for ......?   10 yrs?  Can't remember when is the earliest to join but I was in it the whole time til I went to college.  Rotated between a cooking year.  A sewing year.  And my favorite year when we refinished wood...made terrariums...put cushions on footstools....repainted old things for decorations.  That type of stuff.   Would you believe we wore dresses to monthly meetings?  4-H uniforms!  Elected officers and such.  Had our mothers for "tea" once a year.  All quite civilized.  But fun.  And camp some years.  I know more than I've used....and I've used a lot.  Yeah, tear lettuce....it's why they have plastic knives for cutting lettuce.  That doesn't make it turn brown???  :shrug:   

BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE HOME EC!   Girls not YET allowed to take shop or Vo Ag  [vocational agriculture] in that era.  AS IF if all the farmer's wives were not out in the fields and barns being farmers as much as the menfolk!  HMPH!  Our generation broke thru more barriers!!!  I did get into mechanical drawing.  Really liked that.  Could have gone into that for a trade, I think.  The math might have hampered me tho.

Wow, the Ménière's disease hissing in my ears is at roar volume today.  :misc-smiley-231:   I usually don't even "hear" it. 

MtRider  ....beeeuuuutiful sunny days but.....NEEED RAIN!  Also 20* at 8AM today.  Winter cometh. 

• Like 4