MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

:amen:   I am feeling nearly normal today.  :amen:   Thankful cuz DH got called into work x3 this week....in ADDITION TO this "usual" 2 days.  :scratchhead:    So....seems to me he's working full time this week.  Seems to me he has worked ONLY 2 days.... one week since dropping to that schedule.  <_<     And I'm using TWO canes to slow-motion walk the dog barely one-tenth of a mile.  Her leash attached to my belt loop with giant carabiner.  Barely able to feed this AM.  :tapfoot:  

The restaurant is always unsettled.  Always folks getting hired and walking out.  :shrug:  One got fired for fighting [verbal] with the CHEF.  NO ONE is going to win against the CHEF....CHEF IS THE RESTAURANT.  It was an idiot child who mistakenly thot he was the greatest server and outranked the CHEF.  :grinning-smiley-044:  In desparation they hire folks who " aren't using that stuff anymore"....  <_<   Riiiight!  But....DH actually likes the job....likes the $$ more.  So.....  :shrug:  

MtRider  ...Just wish I was in better shape right now. 

• Like 2

Today was "wrestle the window a/c out of the window" day and put it into the garage at the homestead.  Had hubby put up some silver bubble wrap stuff on the bottom part of the window to add some additional insulation.  We have a storm window but the window is on the north side of the house and needs all the help it can get when those winter winds begin to howl!  Also tried to get the travel trailer winterized better but the transfer pump lost one of it's tubes and by the time we got to Westlake's to get another, it was time to shut down our day.  We'll take care of it tomorrow.  The weather was beautiful today and is supposed to be pretty good tomorrow also.  Got supper taken care of and helped hubby make his invoice for the job he just completed.  He'll meet with the customer tomorrow to take care of the $$$ business side.  We had planned to go camping for a couple of days but I shared with hubby that I'd rather take the dollars and take a couple of day trips in Miss B.  I can pack our lunch in a cooler and we'll be "asphalt" camping! :) We enjoy going to Half Price Books and nosing around to see what's interesting enough to buy. :)  

Edited by The WE2's
Added smilies!
  • Like 5

Yesterday morning, I went to Walmart and picked up the new roaster oven to make mass quantities of dog food. Stopped at thrift stores--nothing. Stopped at Dollar Tree, then bought gas and then visited with friend in nursing home. Got home at 1 pm, ate lunch and then helped make 2 huge pans of sloppy joe base for our Fall Fest at Church on the 30th.

Today, I have done laundry for the week and made cookies for DH. Will do some eBay photos and then am buying an air fryer for $20 from a lady on facebook this evening--she will deliver--I know her.

Tomorrow, I am making Pumpkin Applesauce in the slow cooker to can, then taking my okra down so the young man can till up my garden this weekend. Want to plant a little mustard and collard greens before putting it to bed for the winter. Still haven't addressed one single Christmas card so I better get on that.

• Like 5

:sigh: .........  :cheer:  ........:yar: ......... :amen:   ..............  Tomorrow we get a "brand inspection" done on our horses.  It's a CO thing...not really brands.  Just description and where they're from and where they're going.  If you're transporting horses, you have to have the paperwork.  

Thursday a gal will come to pick them up and take them to a place that will eventually re-home them.  They'll stay together. 

Obviously I'm of very mixed emotions on this.  I'm so relieved cuz I fed tonite and Koa was working hard to get me back from the walk and up the stairs.  I'm just flat wore out!  DH doesn't have to work this w/e after all.  Good thing - his voice is hoarse from fatigue.  Haven't seen my mom in a while....mebbe Fri?  If I'm ABLE.

:amen:   Really good news:  UPS delivered package.  He's a friendly guy we've known for a while.  Likes Koa.  I mentioned we have to find a new snowplow person and he got me a business card out of his truck of someone he knows.  The guy's in the area and I called the number tonite.  He'll come by Sat or Sun aft to see the driveway and tell us price.  UPS guy said he's not as expensive as some.  Since UPS has to use my driveway in winter.....thinking he's going to recommend someone who will do a good job.  :lol:

Trying to find all the horse stuff....going to donate most stuff.  MUST get this 2 decades worth of accumulation down to moving size.  :0327:  

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 5

Already have Pumpkin Applesauce in the crockpot this morning. Looked a local grocery ads--nothing there. Ordered flea meds off eBay for pups. Printed off user manual for the new $20 air fryer I got yesterday and a few recipes. Will be making buffalo drumsticks today! Will be doing some eBay photos and cutting down the okra when it clears up and the sun comes out a bit and take my walk. Slow-ish day today. Yay!

• Like 4

MIL’s AC man, said that is the normal cycle on her heater. IDK. It did calm down when the temperature outside warmed up.

It’s been busy around here. Got home Sunday safely.  A crazy driver actually made me flinch/duck.  He passed on my right, just as I began passing an 18 wheeler.  I don’t think he missed either of us by 6 inches.  He did pull over at the next exit.  

Monday’s are now ‘cleaning day’. We have been getting a lot of interruptions on Saturdays, plus, when I go to TX, he cleans by himself.  We were considering changing the day, for some time. 

Tuesday, it seemed like everything I tried to accomplish, couldn’t be finished.  I trimmed a mesquite tree, that was overgrowing the sidewalk and raked up most of the mesquite beans, but there were too many beans to fit in our dumpster.  Had a package to UPS for a customer, couldn’t finish that, until he provided some necessary paperwork.  Couldn’t empty my suitcase, because the box was in the way.  Called the appliance store, they didn’t have a washer we wanted, I didn’t want a front loader.  That’s how most of the day went.

Yesterday was much better, suitcase emptied, box packaged and ready for pickup, and... we got a washer.  :amen:  I need to run the “cleaning” cycle, after running a bleach load, it looked like a bunch of cardboard pieces was in it... dirty water scale.  :yuk:  They included a box of affresh washing machine cleaner.  It is still under warranty too.  They sold it because they were given a brand new set.  

I made 2 loves of French bread, for French dips.  DH is happy it is finally cool enough outside for me to be able to bake again.  

Then, my beloved, darling husband of mine... has agreed to adopt a German Shepherd.  :imoksmiley: He is a 1-2 year old and will be coming from OH, sometime around Thanksgiving.  :sigh:  

Today, I have the monthly grocery shopping to do, and, Luna, his friends dog, will be here around 7pm and staying until the end of this month, when they return from the east coast.    Tomorrow, DH thought today was Friday. Lol

Edited by Annarchy
  • Like 3

I am now horse-less.  :yar:  It's like I'm standing in a big huge EMPTY room in my mind....something is missing but it hasn't sunk in yet.  I decided to go into town with DH.  He dropped me off at my folks and he went shopping, bank, drop off a few things at Thrift Store.  My mom and I went over some genealogy stuff.  Correcting and adding.  ...or making a mess cuz she can get the generations mixed up. 

Used up the adrenalin from being woken up at 7:30AM by the call that they'd arrive at 10AM....sheesh!  THIS is why I unplug phone each nite.  Cuz I answer and TALK BEFORE I'M AWAKE!  A few minutes into the conversation, I had to ask the same questions over again.  :buttercup:  But....needed the wake up call if they came early.  :(   This is the right thing.  It will be good for us and for them.  It seems to signal a shift in our lives....beyond being horse-less.  Is Maui in our near-er future?  

Where's Jeepers?  Haven't seen her post in couple days...have we?  :pray: 

Pumpkin Applesauce...sounds wonderful, Miki!  We got some peaches/plums at the garden stand this evening.  :yum3:

Glad you got back home safe, Annarchy.  Tooooo many wild ones on the highways and byways these days!!!  :mad:  New-er washer!!  :)  New dog????  :happy0203:  

Mt NOT Rider  :sigh: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm here. I thought I've  been posting. Must have been just "liking" others. Time is flying by so quickly. 

So many animals coming and going. Adjustments are often hard either way. Sounds like the correct choices are being made though. 

It's turned chilly here. All I want to do is snuggled down in the bed and stay warm. Not really an option for very long. I have stuff to do. I think I might need a new thermostat on the furnace. Along with a million other things. I love winter but this year I'm dreading it. Must be getting old. I don't want to deal with it this year. 

I need to make a food run to Sam's Club soon. My pantry has never been this low. Partly because I'm not canning. I miss my home made soups and stews. Pffft, I'm even out of Campbell's soup. 

• Like 4

With the cooler weather we are back to our more active routine.  We are trying to get as much done as possible while I am still able to help.  Dont know what new neuro doc will want to do, but I am also getting new tests, the old ones are over a year old. We will consult in a week.  His assistant says he can make me stand straight again, which makes me very excited.  

The new garden is going in.143821473_oct182019wintergarden1.thumb.jpg.82f73cd7e88800ded720a9c68803e1a4.jpg

100323239_wintergarden20192.thumb.jpg.627d94f5cb415beb35ad3071ab5e6a0f.jpg

Its about 50% planted - the rest will be seeded with other cold season crops.

Today we picked up the yard and moved all the assorted debris to the burn pile.  We have 2  - 3 trees to remove to make room for apple trees, so we will have a large burn pile by next week.  Our (very patient & helpful) friend is coming up from AL to help with the logging/burning.  Plus we are laying out our Christmas decorations...we have several new inflatables to replace those that got old and will not inflate any more.  So we are scurrying around like squirrels with a stash of acorns.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

Well, we finally got our much awaited rain, 24 hrs of a nice slow, rain.  The cats hid out in the carport (I made sure their insulated sleeping spots were ready to go) coming out for loving at feeding times. Otherwise we stayed in and watched football.  The dogs had to be shoved out the door to do their business - only one does not mind rain, the others think they will melt.  

So a slow day for napping, watching foot ball and playing with the animals. It cleared up this morning (Sun) we actually have a bit of sun, so the cats are laying about the yard soaking it up.

Lots of weekend walkers & joggers are keeping the dogs busy alerting us to their presence....after all, they take their jobs seriously!

• Like 4

Your garden looks awesome, Kappydell.  

Luna is adjusting. She arrived Friday and played hard with Gunny.  When her owners left, she didn’t seem to mind much, but, was extremely active, unsettled, hardly sitting down for even a minute.  Gunny took her Kong toy and she took his Kong ball.  She seems thrilled it bounces and rolls. Gunny’s poor tennis ball was so soaked with saliva, it wouldn’t bounce. Yesterday, thankfully,  they calmed down, much more. She freaked out when I hand watered the yard, running circles around me, through the mud! Neighborhood sounds made her bark in the house, I had to “shush” her and tell her it’s ok.  This morning, she seems to be figuring our schedule out.  DH went to bed when I got up.  He told me to be careful going outside, someone in the neighborhood got skunk sprayed last night.  The pups curled up on their beds and slept for about 3 hours. They are still napping.  

Here’s the pups sitting pretty for the morning treat.  You can see the garden, tomatillos are taking over.  And, I’m excited to say, the volunteer cantaloupe plant now has 2 cantaloupes.  The carrots and onions don’t seem to mind the shade from the tomatillos.  1DAB52C0-0D4F-4465-9FE2-A523A2868C28.jpeg

Luna,

E400375F-E839-4141-B1C3-7CD823A564D4.jpeg

This is the German Shepherd DH has agreed to rescue.  His current name is Storm. He’s still in KY, getting his vet work done, neutering & shots.  3AC73C59-2DD8-4FA6-9548-18BF5715819D.jpeg

• Like 4

Awww...Luna and Gunny look so nice together.  I'll bet she's trying to figure out What's What!  Do you mean you'll rescue a 2nd German Shepherd? 

We woke to snow and temps in low 20*.  Where'd the snow come from?  :scratchhead:  Wasn't on any forecast I saw.  BUT...with this extremely dry fall, we're thankful for ANY moisture!!!  Keep it coming, please!  The low temps and WIND..... ahem, not so much.  Quite CHILLY!  Just checked: the Jet Stream is over us again.  Thot so.  YIKES....just got a big blast of WIND against the house!  ......{I really hate WIND}  :sigh:  

I'm still pretty wiped out.  Haven't done much since Thursday.  DH has been doing the cooking but I made eggs and such for breakfast.  We're still getting some duck eggs but have to supplement with store-bought chicken eggs.  :(  Blech.  No comparison.  Ducks are still happy on the pond.....well, I hope DH is able to let them out today.  There's been ice in mornings but melt off as the day goes on. 

MtRider   .....winter cometh  :frozen: 

• Like 4

Really love the doggies.  Ours are in doggie heaven as well as our kitties. So we have no more animals at this time.  Went to church this morning and planning to go again tonight for evening Bible study.  DH is sound asleep right now. So just chilling out as it has been raining all morning and looking like we might get a break from it now. Though we really needed the rain after 28 days of no rain. I really wish it had held off another week so they could get the concrete poured for the driveway. Right now the driveway is torn up but almost ready to pour the concrete as soon as city inspector oks the apron. Sidewalk and porch is already done.  But having to park on street at front of house for a while. It's a long walk down walkway for DH with his issues, but we are making it ok. 

Tomorrow will be another day and I will get back to getting things done. Just enjoying the quiet time right now and thinking of reading a book I have started. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Awww...Luna and Gunny look so nice together.  I'll bet she's trying to figure out What's What!  Do you mean you'll rescue a 2nd German Shepherd? 

We are dog sitting Luna, while her owners are on vacation. They will pick her up on the 31st.  

DH helps post on the net for Semper Fi dog rescue, and he just couldn’t resist saying yes.  I think he said, they have 25 dogs right now, up for adoption.   :sigh:  

• Sad 1

I got home Friday evening about 6:30 and tore out my okra plants (trees) and put down a bag of lime. Garden area tilled Saturday. I brought home Broccoli, cauliflower and collard green starts and mustard green seeds to plant today before it rains tomorrow.

Got all Christmas cards written in but not all addressed yet. Sent a little mason jar lid ornament and a card to a friend in Germany and it cost almost $15. 

Been using the heck out of the new (used) air fryer. Have made buffalo chicken wings and chicken tenders, BBQ boneless ribs, french fries from my home canned potatoes and sweet potato fries from the ones grown in the garden. When and if I get another, it will definitely be bigger.

Taking one cat to the animal shelter tomorrow (not ours, just hanging around).

Have to get ingredients for mass quantities of dog food tomorrow--making it overnight in the new roaster Monday night.

Will get out to the garden as soon as I am done here!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 4

Loved the dog pictures! Your new addition looks like a beauty. Hope Gunny likes his new playmate when he arrives. Two big male dogs...you are a brave soul. And a kind one too! 

It seems funny to hear about starting a garden now when we are getting ready for snow. The joys of southern living. Nice to have that expanded growing time. :lois:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Loved the dog pictures! Your new addition looks like a beauty. Hope Gunny likes his new playmate when he arrives. Two big male dogs...you are a brave soul. And a kind one too! 

It seems funny to hear about starting a garden now when we are getting ready for snow. The joys of southern living. Nice to have that expanded growing time. :lois:

Big male dogs... I’m really not looking forward to that.  Gunny is pouting, because Luna has confiscated one of his tennis balls.  However, they brought 2 leather baseballs, Gunny took it and almost destroyed it before I took it away. Sigh.  We have extra tennis balls, I’ll put one in Luna’s stuff. 

DH started itching, I had been, but I’m extremely sensitive to scents, washed her laundry soap, smelly blanket, probably Tide. Yuck!  and will give her a bath tomorrow.  IDK what she’s been washed with, but it’s very obtrusive. I’ve got a continuous headache. Ack!  Since we will have her 2 weeks, I don’t care, I know I won’t be able to deal with it that long. I’m hoping it will stop her constant scratching, too.  

She is not used to having “at will” water & food.  She guzzled water until today, now, she is starting to control herself.  The food is another matter. Gunny likes it, sooo... watching him, and allowing her to eat has been a slight issue. However, she won’t touch his.  Then, he doesn’t like the treats she came with.  Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got home late yesterday from our Miss B trip to spend a few days with a friend.  We were able to pull Miss B up next to her house away from the driveway and slept in "our own bed"...so to speak...LOL  Our friend only has one bedroom.  That's the nice thing about our Miss B (and our travel trailer) we always have our own bed and bedding.  In Miss B we have a memory foam mattress covered with a heavy duty moving blanket and then two sleeping bags zipped together to make a very warm and comfy bed.  In the travel trailer though we have a real, stationary bed!  And a memory foam mattress there also.  We fell in love with the Serta brands and own three.  One for Miss B, one for the TT and one for our home bed.  Had a wonderful visit with our friend.  We only get to see her every 2 or 3 years since she lives so far away.  We didn't even have to supply our own meals.  She had everything anybody would need to eat!  The only meal we did provide from our side was bacon and eggs for our last breakfast there.  We had thought about extending our stay to a campground on the way home but glad we didn't because it stormed here and probably would have stormed where we would have camped.  Abby-girl probably would not have liked a thunderstorm in Miss B...and neither would we! 

• Like 4

OK, Annarchy.  I reread and got it.  Just doggie sitting Gunny's new pal.  Other pal arriving later.  LOL  SOME days I read with comprehension:rolleyes:  Hope you solve your allergy issues.  Commercial laundry soap/detergent STINKS!!!  :yuk:  

Well, we're minus another critter tonite.  At this rate, we'll only have dog left.  Had 1 drake and 4 females.  Lost a female today.  Went down to shut them up into the duckhouse tonite.  They haven't been on the pond the last two days.....WIND made it their choice on Sunday.  Today there was too much ice by the time DH would have let them out.  :sigh:  Would have been safer.  So tonite I get up to the duckhouse and chainlink duck yard .....and something BIG AND BLACK scared the dickens outta me by lifting into the air!  ACK!  Left behind a carcass.  Awww shoot!  Poor duckie.

BIG AND BLACK + flying = turkey vulture.  [Anyone think mebbe I need to be a bit more observant?  Sheeesh!  Bears are still out...to say nothing of our local MtLion! ]  Koa was still in the truck too.  Anyway, those big birds aren't known for killing.....carrion birds for eating an already established kill.  {I think.}  If that wasn't the killer of my duck, then only a couple things could get in.....and leave a carcass behind. 

Told you about the MtLion we have, didn't I?  It could easily get in.....so could bobcat.  But both of them would take the duck.  A raccoon could get in.....but haven't seen one of them in years.  I'm wondering if we have ermine again.  Haven't seen one of them in years either.  Very pretty in winter but ...one of them killed a duck years ago and go for the throat and suck the blood.  Gruesome!  So I took what's left down the road a bit...dangling it out my drivers window.  Gave it a toss into willow trees.  Not far ENOUGH away from us but it was also getting dark...still needed to run/walk Koa.....finish with the rest of the ducks.....  Gaaaagh! 

Dark is falling sooner!  I ended up with our Plan B:   Run Koa along side driver's side on retractable leash out the window.....up a dead end road just a ways down the road from us.  She likes it cuz she can reallly RUN!  Then went back to finish up with 4 ducks who were VERY quiet inside the duckhouse.  Gave food/water and closed them up.  Mebbe they should stay in there tomorrow.  Not sure they're safe in there if it's an ermine.  They squeeze thru.  If pond opens, they can go down there.  Lions and Tigers   Ermine and Bears....oh my! 

MtRider ....I'm all wore out now!  :0327:  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Ugh, about an hour ago I had a sneeze attack. Son has inherited them from me. We can each go 30-40 times in a row eaaily. Exausting.  Now this evening I also got a good case of the hic-ups. They are killing my throat and stomach. Nothing helps. I've tried it all. All I can do is ride it out. Sheesh, it's gonna be a long trip. They've been going on for over 45 minutes..

WARNING TMI AHEAD      WARNING TMI AHEAD

My Colorectal test came back negative for cancer cells or hidden blood. Second best thing next to a regular colonoscopy..

• Like 3