MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Well, I didn't do some of the things i needed to do as to cleaning house. But did finish off the rest of the roma tomatoes that took forever to riping. So made pizza sauce and canned it.  I can it in 1/2 pint jars as one makes a 12 inch pizza. For the 2 of us that is plenty. So now that that is out of the way, I can get back to getting the house cleaned up. I had started washing windows and never got around to finishing them. Now I am glad I didn''t because the whole outside of the house is covered with cement dust. That was one big mess and they still have to pour the cement if the weather will hold up. Looks like house is in for a pressure wash when all is done. but for now I will just hose down the house and wash off as much as I can and get the windows washed.  Time is flying and I have so much to get done.  Still have to get curtains back on bedroom window and a bathroom window. Washed them over a month ago. That is how far behind I am on everything. I'm tired just thinking about it. 

• Like 4

I have a To Do list.   2 pages....that I have quit looking at.  :sigh:   I just have not been feeling well for the past several days.  MS ...Fall Fatigue....ate too much from the fruit stand.....  :buttercup:  

DH started his roast in the cast iron dutch oven.  I chop/add the onions, celery, carrots....while he and dog went into village for the taters.  We'd run out and he forgot last week.  Good to shop now.....might be in for more snow soon.  So we're loaded up after this evenings grocery :shopping:    Wish we could grow our turnips....store versions are usually wilted.  I love to add parsnips and rutabagas too but rarely see them in good shape either.  Those have too long a season to ever grow here. 

Now...after smelling this all afternoon...I have to wait for taters to cook.  I chopped them smaller than usual tho.  :cook: 

MtRider  :feedme: 

• Like 5

Got the winter garden planted and then Monday went and bought dog food ingredients. Monday afternoon made the dog food in the new roaster and let it slow cook overnight. Yesterday, I pressure canned it and the seal failed on one of my canners so I will order another replacement today (I had a replacement for the one that failed). Also, did laundry yesterday and caught up on a few shows with DH.

Have Bible Study tonight and intend? to take it easy today.  Nothing planned for the next 3 days, either.  Down time is nice, too!

• Like 3

Up again at 6 am as the cement trucks came rolling in.  They got the cement pured in driveway all the way down to the apron.. Waiting for city inspector for the apron to get done. Then to wait a week, maybe a bit more depending on weather,, for it to cure. Then I can get car back in garage.  We are parking on street in front of house right now and the sidewalk goes down into a slope so having to hold on to DH to get him to car. I will be glad when it is over.  

Scrubbed down the front of house this morning as cement dust is all over the brick, windows and everywhere else you can think of.  So cleaned glass on door and cleaned the front door down and hosed off everything. When this is over, I will have to have the house pressure washed. What a mess. Windows will really need a good cleaning. 

Went to chuch supper and Bible study, so at least i didn't have to cook. I did take a pan of collards though. They won't let us forget to bring those as they seem to be the big hit at church. 

I am so tired right now so going to head to bed early. Got to get up at 5 am to get DH to the car and off to farmers market for him to cook collards for the market. 

• Like 3

Got DH out to car at 5:45 this morning to head to market to cook the collards.  So I started in cleaning some in the house, then by 7 am here comes the trucks to work on driveway. they got the apron ready to go and the cuts in the cement for the expansion. It's really coming along. So Tomorrow morning they pour the cement for apron, then come back next day to do the epansion cuts. Then the clean up and then a 10 day wait before driving on it. It takes 7 to 10 days to cure. I have white cement dust on the house, windows, chairs, grill cover and everything else that is on the deck. So when they finish out comes the hose and I need to clean up everything. I have already cleaned front of house and hosed down the brick to get the dust off. So now for the rest of house in a few days. Just hope the weather holds out. Next spring I will have to get house and patio power washed. The dust is on everything in garage as well. That's going to be fun to clean up. Got some of it today though.  Winterized the big garage door after getting the dust off of that. 

Hope everyone has had a great week with no issues of illness nor bad weather. 

• Like 4

Little Sister, Glad you've been able to get your cement poured.  It's a huge and bothersome project with mobility issues ... not being able to park up by house.  That will be something you don't have to do again! 

We're thankful that we got some snow....reduces our extreme fire danger.  With our past experiences....and reading about the CA folks running for their lives in the Santa Ana WINDS......  I was getting fairly edgy.  We had enough rain thru summer to have a LOT of dry fuel for wildfire....  :unsure:   Breathing a little easier now....tho under any other conditions, I don't like the work the snow brings.  Hopefully this will melt in and soak everything.  ....before the next snow. 

MtRider  .....for us, I believe WINTER has arrived!  :shrug:   As we say, anything is better than wildfire!  :amen:  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider  .....for us, I believe WINTER has arrived!  :shrug:   As we say, anything is better than wildfire!  :amen:  

Our first few sprinkle of snowflakes got us into the mood of winter wonderland.  :whistling:   Last night went down to 24 F. I covered many veggies but it was only supposed to drop to 28 F.  :banghead:   If I was as inaccurate as weathermen, I would have lost my job decades ago.  :tapfoot:  I'm hoping it warms up in the next few days so I can collect leaves/grass with the tractor and deposit into the garden. The few worms that we have in this sandy soil would be most grateful this winter.   :wave:

• Like 4

:hi:Homesteader, I hope you are able to get your projects done before you get snowed in.  

It is still in the mid to high 80’s in the day, but, has been dropping into the low 50’s at night. Such a relaxing relief from a month ago, when we were still above 100.  

Luna is beginning to settle into our quiet routine. She is a very active dog at times.  She has had 2 baths.  One, a sponge bath, because she peed herself while sleeping. They mentioned she had just started doing that.  :groooansmileyf:  If she was our dog, I’d have her at the vet, in a heartbeat.  The second, was a full soap scrub down, for the same reason.  IDK what they or their groomer uses, it seemed like a perfume powder.  :yuk:  Plus, she was constantly itching, and her poor tummy was brilliant red.  I put baking soda in a 5 gal. bucket and scrubbed her down with the “sensitive” shampoo we have for Gunny.  Then, I had to put some medicine on a rash she had near her private area.  Poor puppy.  I have washed her blanket twice, but the detergent smell they use is still loud enough, I can smell it every time I come into the room.  I will wash it again with vinegar, maybe tomorrow.  The stuff they use on her, caused DH & I to start itching and dried our hands out, to the point of cracking our fingers.  I was surprised to notice, after her bath, she has a lot more black markings and her scratching has discontinued drastically.   :whistling:   I’m hoping they won’t mind, we give her “at will” food & water.  They gave us an instruction paper, titled, “Luna 101”. Lol.  It said to give her food & water 2 times a day.   She has quit guzzling water, every chance she got, and munches when she decides she’s ready.  

Then, I’ve been constantly cleaning fuzz balls in every crack & crevice in the house.

I got my replacement pressure cooker from Presto.  :woohoo:The first thing I did was, took a wooden spoon and removed the over pressure plug.  To my horror, the hole shaved the spoon handle.  DH, being the sweetheart he is, took the handle off and gently smoothed the metal burr off.  I will never, ever, ever, use my finger to remove that plug. Lesson learned the first time.  My finger is still healing from that.

It’s very breezy this morning, hopefully I will be able to prep and plant one of my garden beds.  I transplanted all the iris bulbs around the edge of that plot, about 3 weeks ago, because they certainly were not growing where they were, and they are growing really quickly.  

• Like 4

DS1 is home with me today.  He has two school assignments to work on, plus repairmen coming today.  I do not like dealing with repairmen.  The new freezer might come today too, but not likely.  I'm doing some light packing for the move, trying to find the current rules for the county's surplus text books--something that really cut the cost of homeschooling back when I was doing it--and burning trash.  Maybe up-potting a few things too.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

To my horror, the hole shaved the spoon handle.

Mine just popped out the other day when I replaced the seal.  Glad I didn't have to work at it!

Cooking rice for dogs today and chicken burgers for me. Making bookmarks out of old Christmas cards for little gifts and working on a couple of mason lid ornaments. Rainy day and taking it easy!

• Like 1

Been cloudy all day, but they finished pouring the cement for driveway.  Tomorrow they come back to do the cut and then clean up. I am so glad it will be finished. But still have to wait 10 days before being able to drive on it. Though we can walk on all but the abron.  Took DH to store this morning as they had can veggies on sale for .27  but had a limit of 15 cans. We wanted the corn for the food ministrey at church as we had none to give out for Nov. and we feed anywhere from 28 to 35 families. So DH has his Vic card and I have one so we each got 15 cans of corn. Where there's a way around those limits on sales, we both go to store. 

I am up to my neck in cement dust all over everything in garage and on everything on back porch. I am going to finish working on garage and going through things as to what to keep and what will go. Try to clean up and organize as I clean off all the cement dust from everywhere.  Got a lot done yesterday and a bit more this morning. 

Had taken down bedroom curtains and got them washed and because it took 4 panels to go across windows, I was going to redo them to make 2 panels. But with the garage situation and Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner, I am just going to hang them back up and wait till next time I take them down in spring to do it. 

Hard to believe some of you are starting to have snow.  We have had low 50's at night and warm days though it is cloudy. No rain expected until Sat. So we are still going through where we don't need heat nor air conditioner. That is a good thing with what the cost of this driveway, porch and walkway will be.  But think goodness for our neighbor. He really does a great job and gives us as he calls it the neighborhood discount. Still will be several thousand dollars though. But had to be done. Driveway was in really bad shape and ready to cave in. Two very large holes with one being 9 inches and the other 5 inches deep. The 9 inch hole was a disaster waiting to happen under that crumbling cement. But I will never have to deal with it again. 

Need to go get the larger garden in shape before our yard man brings the mulch. Need to get that started tomorrow. Going to call son in law to run tiller for me. 

Annarchy:  Glad to hear Luna is doing better.  My granddaughter's dog is named Luna.. She does rescue dogs and trains dogs as well. She has trained some police dogs as well.  Something she had to go to school for and be licenced for.  With having to move around for militarty, it makes it easy for her to find a job.  

Snapshotmiki,  Making bookmarks from old Christmas cards is a neat idea. I like the idea of the Christmas ornaments from canning lids as well.  Nice to get back to making things like that instead of buying them. I want to get caught up around here and maybe start doing some DIY projects again. It has been a while since I have had anytime do some of those things. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Making bookmarks from old Christmas cards is a neat idea

Thanks!  I made about 30 of them today.  Put them right in with folks Christmas cards.  The problem with the Mason lid ornaments is the cost to mail them.  They have to go as a first class package so $3 plus in the US each.  

• Like 1

Poor Luna. Hope you can drop some hints to them about "what worked for you" on her skin care. They will either be thankful for the help or get their panties in a wad. I wouldn't really care either way.  

I've never heard of anyone not leaving clean water out 24/7 for their dog. Sigh.

Maybe that is the cause of the bed wetting. No water + dehydrating = bladder infection? Just a guess.

• Like 2

Jeepers, that’s exactly how we thought and feel.  She’s not our dog, but, I am going to be the best dog sitter I can, and give her the best care I can.  She did good yesterday, she ate a whole bowl of food, and drank normally.  Gunny played with her for almost 2 hours, before they both got tired and went to their beds.

Even though we’ve moved cleaning day to Monday, we will be cleaning anyway today. Wow, 2 dogs shed a lot.  Hopefully, when I wash her blanket in vinegar today, it will remove that intense laundry soap smell.  God, I hope so.  

Then, what’s up with taking a mouthful of food out of the dish and dropping it on the floor, before eating it?  She doesn’t eat the little balls in her food.  (Blue Buffalo, lamb & rice.). She does not like Gunny’s food, at all.  Last night I soaked a couple handfuls of his food in bacon grease.  She licked it a few times, spit out the food and walked away.  Gunny reaction was like, “.. I don’t mind her now...I get two plates.... “. Lol.

The “...very breezy...” day yesterday, Santa Anna winds, was a very windy day.  The night before, I heard a noise, sounded like a large garbage bag flapping in the wind.  When the sun came up, I went out to the edge of the yard, to see what it was.  WOW, it turned out to be a large kite caught in the neighbors tree.  Half of it has to be 3 foot wide.  

73724701-9DAD-46E3-93BF-9ACD7806DF82.jpeg

During the day, it managed to flutter, (pun intended) down the branches.  It’s still about 15 foot high above the ground. Later in the afternoon I heard the little neighborhood kids get all excited about it, saying they wanted to get it.  

I managed to turn the soil in one of the gardens, but, with the strength of the wind, I didn’t plant.  I was concerned about the seeds blowing out of my hand, before I could plant them.  Hopefully, I will be able to plant today.  Picked a dozen jalapeños, 2 dozen tomatillos and a butternut squash.  The squash plants are dying back now, but we might get one or two before they die completely.  

It’s dawn, the pups are out playing, running circles in the yard and I need to get motivated.   

• Like 3

:hidingsmile:

Turned the soil in a section of the big garden. Planted both plots,  Detroit Red beets, Chantenay Red Core carrots, All Season & Copenhagen cabbage, Scarlet Globe radishes and Blonde de Paris lettuce (-Thank you, Christy for the lettuce seeds from 2011 Spring Fling Exchange.).  :amen:  Time for a break, then, back at it... 

And...  I hope NOT, but, Luna might have a bladder infection..... mine is bothering me today.  :imoksmiley:

• Like 2

With all those harsh smells screeching at her sensitive doggie nose, no wonder she acts over-stimulated.

This is such a beautifully cool, drizzly day to work outside, although DS1 is out of sorts.  Collected a bag of dusty rags and tags from the barn to throw away.  Your classic fire hazards.  Happened across the single-bitted ax I thought DS2 had borrowed last year.  Brought it inside and took some of the rust off it.

Up-potted some more of the mainstays of my future herb garden.  When am I going to stop saying Next Year on that?   

Ascertained my clothes had arrived in Texas, streamlining this week's travel.

Up to my ears in various paperwork: house selling, insurance, warranty, etc.

• Like 3

LOL Annarchy, they are going to miss each other when she has to go back home.  Bless you for taking such good care of your (and others) pets!   :wub:  .

It took me forever to get rid of my bladder infection a month ago. Hope neither one of you have it! "Sometimes it's hard to be a woman...apologies to Tammy Wynette.

That kite is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Good thing it has a visible tail on it. It looked too real.

It's starting to get cold here. I'm not ready. All I want to do is snuggle down. :offtobed:

I'll probably end up grocery shopping later tonight or tomorrow.  :shopping:

I don't wanna go.  <_< 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Up-potted some more of the mainstays of my future herb garden.  When am I going to stop saying Next Year on that?   

Don't know. I'll let you know next year if I quit saying it though. I think We2's are in the same boat with us. Time is just speeding by too fast. And not feeling well a couple of days a week makes it go even faster. :sigh:

• Sad 4

I’ve been working on a project for 3 years.  Getting it done, all of a sudden, become a desperate need to finish it.  IDK why, but a lot of things are making me feel like this———> :runcirclsmiley2: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So far today, I have made a pot of oatmeal, 2 pans of oven baked pork chops and some chicken breast strips. Baked a couple of chicken breasts also, cut up cheese and apple bites for dog treats. My shower curtain fell down so I am washing the liner with bleach and then hanging the Christmas shower curtain a little early but I don't mind. Going to take some eBay photos in a bit for DH and maybe work on 2020 photo calendar. Garden seems to be ok and not drowned. It's getting cooler now.

• Like 2

Just been dragging today. Guess everything is catching up on me.  Lots of yard work when they get finished with driveway. Cement was still to wet for them to do the cutting for expansion joints. So tomorrow it will be raining. So my guess is they will finish up on Monday. Then I have to redo all the landscaping between the patio and driveway where they had to move things to remove old driveway and pour the new cement.  Then on each side of driveway and down front walkway needs to have dirt filled in.  Time is flying, So much to get done and Thanksgiving and Christmas is right around the corner.  And of course my energy is zapped. I am beginning to just think I am overwelmed and it's at a time where neither grandson nor daughter and son in law can get over here to help with the yard. But it is what it is.  Grandson starts his on line classes Monday for college and has now gone full time at work. Daughter is in college and working full time. Youngest granddaughter is in college and working full time. The oldest grandson is stationed in Texas as he is in army. Oldest granddaughter lives in CA but is well away from the fires.  Has not lost her power so far.  And the 2nd oldest is in Maryland as her husband is in Navy and they may be getting shipped to either Texas or Washington State. He is Naval hospital so hard to say right now. He is in school in Texas right now and will be back in Maryland in Feb.  So all my help at this point is unavailable and a husband that can't do much.  Gee, no wonder I am tired.  But by the grace of God, I will get there. 

Glad Luna is doing so much better.  You really do take care of the dogs very well.    Found out this morning my nextdoor neighbor's dog has breast cancer.  She had a place come up on her within 4 days of finding a small lump and now it is huge.  It keeps bleeding as well.  So she goes back to vet monday as they think it is in her lungs. But she acts like nothing is bothering her. If the cancer is in her lungs, they have to make the dicission to put her down.  I hope it's not and they can bring her home.

I don't understand why so many dogs around here are getting cancer.  This is the 7th dog that has passed from cancer.  Something has got to be wrong. This is my neighors just a short distance around us. 

But on the bright side, today is DH's 81st birthday. He didn't want to go anywhere today, so we stayed home and had a good time. Fixed him an early dinner.  Steak, potatoes and butterbeans.  He enjoyed that. He didn't want much else, so I fixed what he wanted. 

Took it easy today to spend time with DH and tomorrow when we get home from church, I am going to just relax and enjoy the day again.  Then Monday I will get started with the work around here. We are not doing a winter garden this year nor one in spring as well. Will hit the farms next spring.  Going to get the garden soil built back up and then till it in spring and mulch it then. Not sure I can get it ready now for the mulch.  Will talk to yardman when he comes to cut grass next week. 

Annarchy I know how you feel.  

• Like 2

Did some Mennonite shopping today but washed and labeled 4 quarts of Bacon-Bean and Barley soup.  It's soup and sandwich lunches this time of year.  I don't need to jar up any for the extended pantry but want to keep plenty in the kitchen pantry.  I've got several quarts of different types but want to make some more chicken-vegetable soups.  Did pick up some egg roles, some breakfast sausage patties, and some corn dogs.  Vacuum sealed most of it and hubby took it to the homestead's freezers but I kept the corn dogs, sausage patties and a package or two of the egg roles.  Hubby's working out of town again so I have to pack his lunch and I'm on my own.  Sending him some hot apple cider makes him happy since he's working in cold weather.  He just prefers sandwiches when he takes a lunch so the warmth of the cider (or hot chocolate) warms him up.  We're supposed to have freezing nights for the next several nights so he'll need all the warmth he can get inside of him...even though stepmum would very willingly have him come inside to warm up...which I'll urge him to do!   That's about it for this day...other than reading my Bible this morning and this evening and doing my usual journal entries.  Stay warm those of you who are experiencing winter and for those of you who aren't...:cheeky-smiley-067:

• Like 3

Good to read how all of you are so busy and getting it done.  Well, getting SOME stuff done!  It all counts!!!  :grouphug:  

FINALLY today the MS Fall Fatigue let up a bit.  I was not feeling quite so :0327:  I've been nearly constantly in bed for the past several days.  Good thing I got a relief day...cuz DH works aft/evenings on weekends now. 

So I was able to go outside in late afternoon and make channels in the ice/snow/slush....run melt water downhill.  We got up to  70* IN THE SUN.  But upper driveway doesn't get enough sun.  Everywhere else is melted/gone......in time for more coming in:frozen:   Yes, I'm VERY VERY thankful not to be under such fire danger  :amen:  But I'm sure glad we don't have the horses this winter.  Just going to put food in duck's dish/check water....walk dog.  Right now, it's nearly toooo much!  On the way back from dog walk, my LEFT leg began to drag.  :o  I am SO much more affected on my RIGHT leg/arm/hand motions.  It's like....twice a year or less that I feel the Left side spaze-out.  :imoksmiley:  And of course the Right side was being it's usual oddity.   And I still had some to walk back into our driveway and to the truck.  

Being a prepper....of COURSE I carry an extra-large carabiner on my belt loop.  Koa is just a bit too short for me to walk comfortably hanging onto her body harness.  I need the extra couple inches ...so I hook up the carabiner to harness and I hang onto that.  Ski pole on R side and doggie-dear on Left.  We made it back to truck.  She always helps me up the 15 stairs to house.   Rested a while and then [using a bit of adrenaline tho]  ....shower/wash hair  Rest.  Dry hair.  Sure glad I'm keeping it a lot shorter.  Wash/dry is much faster!  [Remember how long it was when Darlene cut it, Miki?]

Then.....I dropped all energy again.  Tottering around to heat up leftovers....talk on phone to college era friend and my mom.  DH came home all stiff and sore but he's happy with $$ TIPS $$ .  Sheeesh, we feel old and worn out all the time.    

:pray:  This Too Shall Pass :pray:

As Jeepers said:  Time is just speeding by too fast. And not feeling well a couple of days a week makes it go even faster.

That's for sure!!!  How'd we switch from lovely warm fall with golden aspen leaves to ZERO degrees and brown trees and inches of snow.

....  BBBBZZZZTTT!  TIMES UP!  :scratchhead:    It's winter again! 

MtRider    :offtobed: 

• Like 3

Worked on spiffing up the old house for sale, meaning I was mostly cheer-leading while the beau worked.  Also acknowledging what the tenants had done for me.  Still came home and had to pack ice around my shoulder and all.  DS1 and the beau were very cold to one another as usual, very stressful.  Now that the beau has gone home, I realize he probably needed ice too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Went to church this morning and was planning to go back this evening but DH is not feeling well today.  He did go to church this morning but really wasn't feeling well this morning either. So staying home this evening for him to rest.

We had a hard rain this afternoon. So hoping they can finish driveway tomorrow. They just need to cut in the expansion joints and then it's done. Other than we can''t drive on it for 2 or 3 weeks. I am thinking more of closer to 3 weeks. 

My energy seems to be coming back some, so I guess just resting this weekend helped that. Sometimes I just go till I drop. Will be hosing the rest of house off after they finish making lots more cement dust. But at least it is at the end of the driveway this time. My brick house is white with the dust.  It's on everything on back porch and the black cover over the grill has turned white. What a mess. 

• Like 2