MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

:pray: for LS's dh.... 

It's been lightly sleet/rain all day...... or I could say it's more like the fog was adhering to the trees, road, steps, etc.   Verrrrry weird day for our arid zone.  I think the humidity is in the 70's or 80's.  Couldn't see any distance today.  And quiet.  The temp stayed at 20* all last evening and today.  Tonite it's slowly dropped to 15*.   Not too bad but we're scheduled for a violent drop into the subZeros in a couple days.  .......Subzeros make me very nervous.  No room for error.  :frozen:  

I had to just about use a chisel to get enough of a hole in the "Adhered Fog" to see out my windshield tonite.  Only had to go to barnyard...feed ducks/water not frozen.....walk dog.  Tonite I wore several layers. Due to our usual low humidity, this is deeply chilling for us even if not that cold.  AND I wore my Hunter's ORANGE vest to be on the misty road.  Most of my clothes are very muted colors, [tho not camo].   I just prefer those earth/forest tone colors.  Also always wear headlamp ON while on road.  Even at that, I drag dog and I OFF the road completely each time a vehicle goes by.   I appreciate the ones who slow down because we exist.  :buttercup:  Others...not so much.

Going thru the propane today.  Pellet stove will run all tomorrow.....until we pass thru this bit of weather.  IT'S NOT WILDFIRE!  :amen: 

DH got home safe on icy roads.  Got off a bit early so that's good.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   Mmm.....ginger, honey, lemon tea. 

• Like 2

Had my "new MRI" done on Thursday & bone density test done on Fri.  So I should be all ready to have an intelligent conversation with the neurologist this coming Wed. about surgery pros, cons, and possible outcomes.  For an MRI it was passable.  The hardest part was having to hold still for so long (90 min) even with a cervical collar and a frame around my torso it was painful enough to make me want to squirm.  But they had a fan that kept the temperature cool, and the new machine was much, much quieter.  With a washrag over my eyes I could almost nap (except for the shooting pains).  Oh well, all in a good cause.  I will put up with a LOT if it helps me get fixed.

We are removing leaning/old/spindly and double trees (too close to one another) to open up what we now call our future orchard and bee meadow.  I did not realize those beech trees had such hard & heavy wood.  We have wood piles all over.  We have also marked a couple trees we will be calling pros to remove, due to their hazardous positions and conditions.  Letting a pro take them out will be worth the money, rather than risking dropping a tree on a building (!!!) Some things just are not worth the risk, and in this area there are many arborists as it is quite heavily wooded, not counting the national forest lands and the lumber company land on the other side of the road.  We are taking bids this upcoming week.

The garden is nearly complete.  Waiting for this next 4 days of rain to pass before seeding, since we do not want them washed away or drowned.  Should be able to knock it out in a few hours once the weather gives us an opening.  

Choir practice again after church.  It is fun.  I am an 'anchor' singer as I can read music and have excellent pitch (and tend to sing loud).  So they seat me between two ladies who can not read music to help them memorize the melodies.  I talked to my father the other night, and he enjoys playing in a small band.  He said he finds the music takes his mind off his worries.  Yep, same here.  Music does indeed smooth over the rough edges of life.  (And I used to think that it was not a useful thing to know....silly of me.)

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

It's been lightly sleet/rain all day...... or I could say it's more like the fog was adhering to the trees, road, steps, etc.   Verrrrry weird day for our arid zone.

We used to have ice fog in Scotland. It could take days before it would stop. Then came black ice. We walked everywhere so spent much of our time 'dancing' from appt to appt.  :whistling:    The good old days.   :laughkick:

• Like 4
9 hours ago, kappydell said:

Had my "new MRI" done on Thursday & bone density test done on Fri.  So I should be all ready to have an intelligent conversation with the neurologist this coming Wed. about surgery pros, cons, and possible outcomes.  For an MRI it was passable.  The hardest part was having to hold still for so long (90 min) even with a cervical collar and a frame around my torso it was painful enough to make me want to squirm.  But they had a fan that kept the temperature cool, and the new machine was much, much quieter.  With a washrag over my eyes I could almost nap (except for the shooting pains).  Oh well, all in a good cause.  I will put up with a LOT if it helps me get fixed.

Had that done last month. I didn't think the test would EVER END. I kept thinking, "this too shall pass".  :wave:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday it was very windy again. I noticed that kite had fluttered down the tree branches more and the tail streamers were within reach... so... I now have a huge kite.  It only had a couple scratches in it. I was almost sure it would be really torn up, but it wasn’t. It’s made out of tent type material. It is 6 foot wide by 4 foot long, and the tail streamers are over 9 foot long!

605B3892-FEB2-4EAB-9823-28038EDECCAC.jpeg

DH said, “Now, when someone tells you to go fly a kite, you can.”  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

And prayers that Kappy will find these medical folks....ALL of them....many degrees more competent than her last awful experience!!! :pray:

:balloons:   :pc_coffee:    :woohoo:   I now have the new laptop up, loaded [somewhat] and running.  The size of keyboard is very similar so no big adjustment there.  It's black lettering on silver.  I like that a lot better than white letters on black.  I can see this!  Got a thumb drive loaded....with a bit of trauma when the first loaded one wasn't working right. Had to load all my Open Office files, files of pics, etc from the previous laptop AGAIN on a new thumb drive and that worked quite nicely.  I was able to choose the same ocean pic for my screen.....position all my files like I had them....and enjoy not having much that is CHANGED.  :cheer:  Probably the smoothest transition to new laptop I've had.  :amen: I was dreading it but my other one was really going wacko.  I'd read on Kindle while the thing loaded pages. 

Sheeesh....this one is FAST!  Had a prayer request to send out today....after getting back into both my personal and the church emails.  Over 50 addresses and this laptop sent them off with a single ZIP!  :o Whoa....  I LIKE IT!  :wub:  

Got snow thru the nite.  Not as much as last time but sure enough to keep any wildfires from thinking about our region, for sure.  Decided to call for the new snow plow this time.  Can't let if build up too much.  Winter expense. 

That kite sure is pretty, Annarchy.  If it's that big and durable [heavy?] ...how do you get it into the air?   How will doggies react to something like that flying overhead?  Our dog barks at the big turkey vultures like they are some kind of threat.  :lol:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
[s]WHY aren't my typed-in smilies working????[/s] They're baack.
  • Like 4
On 10/26/2019 at 11:24 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Remember how long it was when Darlene cut it, Miki?]

Yes, ma'am and I have the photos to prove it!  LOL  --Under lock and key- never to be released to the public!

Ran around all morning --First did my 2 mile walk, then Dollar Tree to fill a shoe box for Church ministry, day old bread store for my bread and sweets for DH, visited a bit with friend in nursing home, thrift stores because I can, Walgreen's for free 4 x 6 photos to put in Christmas cards and then Hobby Lobby looking for whatever one is supposed to paint rocks with. Already had my 10,000 steps in when I got to Hobby Lobby.
Came home and played with dogs outside and then started a load of laundry and did calisthenics. Besides goat duty, that's about it for today.

• Like 1

I seem to have won one of the fights with the insurance company, the one I had just dug my heels in for and started on.  Boom! Like to knocked me over.  They were "Okay, we'll pay" so nicely and so suddenly.

• Like 4

That is one nice kite. I really like it. And it is huge. 

Thank you Jeepers for thinking about DH.  He felt much better after a long rest and an nap.  Just something we have to deal with on a day to day basis. But we will get through it.  He is my miracle and have had a few prayers answered where his health is concerned. First his stroke which was an anurism in the brain stem.  They said it was a deadly stroke but he is still with me. He had to learn to walk all over again and get strengh back. That was over 20 years ago. Then in 99, he had a major heart attack after passing a stress test with flying colors. So much for those test.  He was rushed to another hospital from a local one for emergency surgery after a heart doctor split a vein doing a cath.  Came close to loosing him then as well. Scary stuff. He ended up with a 6 way bypass and a repair on the torn vein to stop bleeding.  He had 6 units of blood before they even got him to the ER. I know the Lord was with us during those times and I know he will get us through this as well.  

They finished the driveway but cannot use it for 10 days as it has to cure. But I have windows now that are so dirty from the cement dust that I have my work cut out for me. So tomorrow I change my plans and start washing windows. And hosing down the porch and brick.  Even the lights on house have so much dust on them the light won't shine through. That is a lot of dust.

Ambergris, glad things went well with the insurance company.  

Smapshotmiki,  I also was doing the shoeboxs.  Did one for a girl and one for a boy.  Took them back to church Sunday. So that is now done. But still having to buy some food for our food ministery. We will be giving food out the 3ed Thursday of November, so trying to pick up things our folks that can't afford, so they willl be able to have that for Thanksgiving. Then we will be working on the food for Christmas which will be given out the 3ed Thursday of Dec. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Monday stuff...laundry.  Since the dryer here isn't safe anymore, I hang all our clothes on the back porch where I have an oil heater.  Bedding and bathroom linens get hauled over to my dryer at the homestead.  A pain...but necessary until ... :24: your know the story!

• Like 4

Hubby's still commuting to get stepmum's porch done and a few other honey-do's.  She just doesn't trust anybody else.  Glad she feels safe. I sent her a small jar of my homemade yogurt in his lunch cooler today.  She said she's going to make herself a smoothie.  I gave her the recipe so all she had to do now is get herself a wide mouth thermos.  We love our greek yogurt! 

• Like 1

Wasn't his time, Littlesister.

Mild acid might help cut the cement dust if it has stuck on.  

Remember the old song, "Monday=Washday!"  I forget the rest.  I do tend to do laundry on Mondays though.  Funny how you get into patterns.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Had to Google. 

At Dollar General today at register.  No one there.  No bell to ring.  Thought I heard noise from office but no one answered when I called out.  I google the phone number, called the store and asked if they could ring me up at register 1.  We all had a big laugh--they didn't hear me.  

Made brownies at Church this morning for Fall Fest.  Went to store.  Hard boiled eggs and did eBay stuff.  Slow day!

• Haha 5

Snapshotmiki,  that is funny.  I go to the general dollars around here but that has never happened. 

Ambergris, you are right about not being his time. But his health has suffered in the past few months. And we will get through this also. He just turned 82 this past Sat. Plan on keeping him around a lot longer if God wills it. 

I remember that poem.  I have always washed on Monday's though but never thought about the poem. And yes I do have ironing to do but it won't get done on a tuesday. I will be lucky to get to it tomorrow. 

I also need to get busy and bake brownies or cake for the cake walk for fall festival. I am way behind in getting things done. Already took candy to the church for it.  So guess I better get baking in the morning. 

The weather is a bit crazy.  It will be cold in morning and then warms up really nice. Then by about 3 the temps drop suddenly and back to cold but still mild enough to get outside stuff done. 

Been busy with getting the yard work done. Worked on the larger garden getting it ready to put down mulch.  My yard man came and cut down the bushes in front yard. They were way up past the windows. So he cut them all the way back to ground. So they will start over again next spring and maybe we can control them better.  If not, I am having them removed.  They are called mop tops and were only suppose to grow no bigger than 3 feet. Guy at nursery that sold them to us was wrong. They can get as high as 10 feet tall. Can't have that in flower beds. But if I do end up removing them, it might be the front yard flower bed but I might just plant herbs and other things that we can eat in there. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, snapshotmiki said:

...... and then Hobby Lobby looking for whatever one is supposed to paint rocks with. 

Here's an A to Z tutorial on rock painting. :D Hope it helps. :thumbs:

poster.thumb.jpg.11d58d391b7ee75395b3a35249bb041c.jpg

modge-podge.jpg.0f80112bcedda5152d5aff0af8896080.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow....Mod Podge is still around?  I haven't heard about that in years.  Yeah, I think I remember it will get gooey again if you get it wet.  My mom and I have been doing Coloring Books for a while now.  With the new glitter and metallic colors, we can produce some amazing things...without being all that artistic. 

Full cloud cover all day....therefore we are COLD!!!  :frozen:   High was 15* and dropped all day.  Now MINUS 5*  :frozen:   Small fluffy flakes floating down all day....and night.  Supposed to get inches tonite.  :shrug:   We'll see.  Supposed to be some wind....THANKFUL we haven't had that.  Cold enough!!

Used washer and DRYER today to get basement/garage area warmed up.  Will keep furnace on a bit higher ...1) in case we'd lose power from limb falling on wires or whatever...we'd already start pretty warm.  2) it keeps the basement/garage area a little warm - only one heat vent down there but the furnace is there.  Have laundry pipes there as well as every pipe coming up here. 

MtRider  ...thankful our horses are in better shelter now ....and we don't have to shovel snow paths to take care of them.  :amen: 

• Like 6

Sure is soup season. I opened one of my dwindling jars of chili the other day. Cream of broccoli is one of my favorites. 

It was cold and then warmed up and it's back to being cold and rainy tomorrow. Good type of weather for catching a cold. Sniffle sniffle. I'm going to get some of those cutie type oranges tomorrow. I don't know if it's my imagination or not but they seem to help me stay upright during the winter. Mostly. Plus I like them.

Yep, Mod Podge is still pretty popular. I bought a couple of small bottles of it from the Dollar Tree nearly a year ago for a very important project. For the life of me I can't remember what it is. :blush:  Maybe to go over labels? It will come to me sooner or later. 

Those colors sound neat. Are they ink pens? I'm artistically challenged so any help... Simple shading is even beyond my talent range. 

• Like 2