MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Your pictures are beautiful, WE2.  Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Littlesister, seem like you are making a lot of progress. 

OOTO, our doctor just quit.  No notice, no forwarding address, nothing. He was one of two doctors that took care of me when I was born.  Now, the office is a care facility, a lot of NP’s doing the work, and they seem to be overworked and stressed.  It’s made me not want to go there.  We only have one other doctor in our town, and I am not too impressed with him.  Long story...

Changing our cleaning day has been an intellectual challenge.  Lol. I was all set Saturday, then, remembered.  I ended up sweeping and tidying my office.  After cleaning on Monday, I began to appreciate the day off we used to have on Sunday.  I’m toying with the idea to change it back to Saturday.  We’ll see.  

Speaking of changing... we don’t change time here.  I hear how everyone has trouble with it.  When we go to TX, we have to adjust to the time difference in the summer.  I usually try to leave home an hour early, to miss rush hour.  Now, we are in the same time zone with MIL.  She has us fix a few of her clocks, when we first get there.  

The garden is sprouting!  I harvested about 2-3 lbs. of tomatillos and 1/2 lb. of jalapeños, and will be making another batch of green salsa.  A handful of the jalapeños were beginning to turn red, those will be diced & dehydrated for the spice jar.  

Smells like rain outside this morning.  Lightening way up in the mountains.  A few clouds around us, and crystal clear stars above us.  IDK if we will get anything out of it, but it certainly would be a blessing.  I covered the washer & dryer, JIC.  Lol, maybe I should do our AZ rain dance...wash the vehicles...:008Laughing:...nope, I don’t have the energy to do that today.  

I’m getting anxiously excited.  After 3 years, I’m now on the finishing touches of a pastel painting.  If...if....if... I hadn’t procrastinated as much as I did, the AZ dust storms wouldn’t have dulled the darkness on it.  With pastel chalk, it’s not like I can just dust it off...  :blink:  Hopefully, I should be able to finish it today, then, it has to be matted & framed.  After taking update pictures, all this time, I’m tempted to make a flip book...  that’d be something else..  but a lot of work too.  Ha.

I hope you are feeling better, Mt_R.  

Jeepers, did you get your shopping done?

The sky is just beginning to lighten up, time to get to work.  

• Like 1

Ann, I'm sorry you've been through this, too.   :hug3:

Littlesister,  thanks for the advice.  My doc hadn't taken insurance for many years.  They only took cash or credit card.  It was worth it as they understood all of my health problems.    I can't have wine.  I have a salicylate sensitivity and would have a reaction.   There's only 3 safe fruits for me.  I appreciate the prayers!

• Like 1

Here is 3 years of work. 24”x18”. Would have been less time, if one of the ferrets hadn’t decided to walk all over the first one, leaving whisker, toes and nose prints. :groooansmileyf:Time to frame it... unless I keep fiddling with it....:shakinghead:  oh, and, sorry, I always seem to take blurry pics.  :sigh:

4FEA1911-67AC-4611-82E4-5C55BBC1CEBA.jpeg

• Like 6

Gorgeous, Annarchy!!!   :happy0203:  Makes me smile to look at it.  Is that a local formation or from imagination?

:pray:  that everyone gets a good doc!  DH has appt. this month with a new place.  He gave up on my clinic.  :sigh:  I might have to as well.  Been there 20 yrs.  DH's chiro patients had the same reaction when a lot of factors drove him out of the health care business:  his arthritic hands, O-care, etc.  

Went to bed last nite thinking, wow, I'm soooo sleepy.  :blink:   Then couldn't get to sleep.  Woke up further the longer I lay there.  Read a bit more....a not-exciting book.  Tried again......  :blink:  .......Wait!  DID I take my usual  1/2 blue pill?  :buttercup:  Noooo.... Ended up taking 2 one-halves.  Trying to get together with my mom today!!!  Slept till 10:20AM so that helped.  

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Thanks 1

Darn, I missed a few posts. Don't know how I missed that.  :shrug:

OOTO, that's not nice how your doctor handled his patients. Especially the faithful ones who have been going there for so long. I have trust issues too. Next year I'll be where you are now finding new doctors. I don't respond to a lot of meds the way 'normal' people do so it's sometimes to make them understand without me sounding like a hypochondriac. Does your insurance have one of those nurse-on-call options? If so, maybe they could steer you in the right direction. 

Littlesister, sorry your D-H is still having trouble with his swelling. I know what you mean about work stamina. I used to clean my house, dust, vacuum, do laundry, iron six white shirts, go grocery shopping and make supper every Friday. Now I feel lucky to get 1-2 of those things done in a week. No more ironing though. Thanks for the tip on an internist instead of a family practice doctor. Mine is family practice so I'll look for an internist when I move next year...hopefully. Yeah, Obama Care messed a lot of people up. Before that I was paying just under $500.00 a month, full coverage. After Obama Care and before I went on Medicare it went up to over 1,500.00 a month! For just me. 

• Like 3

Yesterday we did some more meat shopping...two large tubes of sausage and two batches of hamburger.  We eat a lot of both.  The sausage we just formed into patties and double bagged and put them in freezer (hubby being home is great...he helped!) and the hamburger we double bagged into half pound (or thereabouts) portions.  That's about all we ever need.  Did pick up some chicken tenders.  I want to try dredging them in dry ranch dressing/yogurt and a bit of flour then frying them.  We were astounded at the cost of chicken wings!  Guess they're so popular now that everybody's buying them and the stores are gouging the price up!  :gaah: So I got the tenders instead...for half the price per pound.  

• Like 1

Today we had breakfast and then the three of us took a long walk along a walking trail, came home put some things away that we had picked up from the homestead's pantry then took a trip in Miss B to the our little roost to check things out and then took another nice walk through our favorite state park.  Since the host's are not there and the back part is closed, we went there and let our girl off leash for a good run.  We kept calling her back to us for a congratulatory pat so we could work more on her re-call.  But...we both know that if a squirrel or rabbit or....is in view...all bets are off!  It will be deer season here before too long so that park will be full of deer that are sheltering there, so we never let her off leash during the time coming up.  

Stopped by the library there and they had a book sale (they usually do) and I picked up a dozen Christian fiction books for $3.  I'll have plenty of reading for a few weeks...:cheer: I'm just about to finish two somewhat related series from Thomas Kincaide and Katherine Spencer..."Angel Island" and "Cape Light".  They are wonderful!  They were given to us from a late friend, just before he passed away. Unlike many, we "collect" (or hoard?) books for our upstairs library.  We are avid readers and know that most libraries are going digital and books that we can put our hands on may someday pass.  Especially in a life changing event.  When we got home I just fixed us some cheeseburgers and some left over stew...hubby added some tortilla chips to his "mess"!  Anyway...we got full.  Was too late for a real lunch and too early for a real supper so...we just mixed things up.  :)

• Like 2

That picture is beautiful. Great job Annarchy.  My father was an artist but was more commercial. He did the store adds for Giant Open air markets for newspaper. Designd bank bags for the banks. and did advertising for Leggett's department stores and furniture stores as well. he did do some drawings but nothing like what you did.  You have a great talent. Love it. 

Still working on the kitchen cabnets but almost done. Only have the one under the stove and one under the sink and I am done. Got a great deal of reorganizing done in process. So happy with that. But 4 days on this one project is rough. Hoping to move on by tomorrow afternoon to another project that needs to get done. 

• Thanks 1

Pulled out a vacuumed bag of my winter long sleeved tops, sweat shirts and pants, thermal tops, and insulated vests and gave them a good shake and hung them in the closet.  Now...to pull out the summer stuff in the closet...mainly summer dresses etc.  I've already put away the tank tops etc. so at least that's done.  Going to go through all my footwear and give a lot of them a toss. I keep all my crocks, loafers, work shoes and tennis shoes until I wear them out!  

• Like 3

Well, it finally happened. I went down stairs last night to get some supper and couldn't make it back up the steps. Thirteen of them. Sigh. This winter is playing havoc on my arthritis already. My knees just wouldn't hold me. And my back gave out too. Worst of all was/is my neck. It feels like it's on fire. 

You don't realize how much your body is connected until it's hurt some place or you have surgery. My neck screamed out every time I tried to take a step. :blink:

Anyway, I slowly got up about five steps and fell back down. Didn't really hurt myself. I was able to grab on to the hand rail thing to stop the fall. I went down about three steps. Kind of scared me though. I don't know if it was the pain or what but I became dizzy and very nauseous. So I sat on the steps and ate my sandwich until I felt better. Then I inched up the steps backwards on my behind. Mostly pulling myself using the hand rail. Fortunately, that rail is the length of the stairway. 

I was carrying a bowl of tomato soup, a toasted cheese sandwich and a glass of sweet tea. Didn't spill a drop of anything. Tea had a lid and soup was thick but still... 

Glad my next house will be one story. Two steps to get in the house. Could even build a ramp if I had to. Steps are not my friends. 

Edited by Jeepers
Kindle again
  • Sad 4
22 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Well, it finally happened. I went down stairs last night to get some supper and couldn't make it back up the steps. Sigh. This winter is playing havoc on my arthritis already. My knees just wouldn't hold me. And my back have out too. Worst of all was/is my neck. It feels like it's on fire. 

So I slowly got up about five steps and fell back down. Didn't hurt myself. I was able to grab on to the hand rail thing to stop the fall. Kind of scared me though. I don't know if it was the pain or what but I became dizzy and nauseous. So I sat on the steps and are my sandwich until I felt better. 

:pray:

• Thanks 1

Sheeeesh, Jeepers!  :o   That could have been so much worse!  I've had to do the sit-down method of stair ascend or descend too.  [ ack, I sure do love spell check for sc and cs and ie and ei words!!]    Do you have a Plan B for sleeping downstairs if an incident comes when you can't safely do those steps?  Bedding/sleeping bag stored downstairs and food stored upstairs if you're stuck on the other end?  JIC? 

I stash things all over for point of use....due to mobility issues that can change up between one step and the next with no discernible reason.  Let alone tripping over my XXL dog!  Oooph!  That one was rough cuz I got so terribly COLD laying on the floor waiting for DH to get home that time.  Managed to yank on the hem of a coat hanging nearby.  Coats have knit hat and gloves in pocket.  Too bad Koa is not really a snuggler type dog.  She likes her space.  :rolleyes:  But she's guarded me after any fall outside.  

Would there be any medication that helps....and maybe keep some in a pocket?  I keep a stick peppermint gum [wrapped in plastic] for breathing issues and a couple Nuprin in all my pants pockets.  JIC   But especially if you have pain related mobility issues.  Whew, that must have been so scary and painful.  :(   And FRUSTRATING.....yesterday I could climb the stairs.  An hour ago I could climb the stairs!  Yes, I know that one too.

Neck pain can definitely cause nausea/dizziness....and obviously severe pain.  All those nerves!  Change in weather can precipitate muscle spasms too.....unfortunately.  Weather change IS my MS Fall Fatigue issue! 

Glad you didn't do super damage, friend.  :hug3:

MtRider  ....taking it easy today after marathon shopping yesterday.  :shopping: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, I'm glad you are ok. Those falls can be bad. 

I do know how the neck problems can be.  I have a plate with 4 screws and godiva bone from C4 to C7.  It can be painful and radiate into the shoulders and arms.  Have you checked with doctor about getting an MRI.  Mine showed the bones had collasped on the spinal cord and was causing all my pain. And if you ever have to have surgery for something like that, always go to a neruologist, never an orthopedic.  Spinal cord is nothing to play around with. 

Last nite DH and I were able to officially close down the so-called Donkey Palace  :amen:    Anyone been here long enough to remember our Maggie Mae?  :lol:  She came along...causing all sorts of trouble.... on "Wagons Ho", actually.  Dratted beast!  ;)

IRL the horse wouldn't let that donkey into the horse shed for shelter.  [I don't blame the horse..lol ]   So we built a canvas covered shelter in the small space between the horse shed and hay shed.   Thus..."Donkey Palace".  It worked for her and later became a storage area.  The canvas roof material has been failing the past 2 winters.  Now with horses gone, the last few things (that certainly don't fit in our basement/garage area) we finally got moved from Donkey Palace to Hay shed.  The shredded canvas is bagged up for trash...along with the last of stuff from under there that is now labeled trash.  Awaiting trash pick-up!    :cheer:

I just have to dismantle the last of the tubular frame and reunite all those pieces up here with the rest of them.  If all those tubular frame pieces are put together, they make a double "craft fair" like structure.  In way-back history I used it, covered with clear plastic, as a green house.  Might again if we don't get outta here. 

It is very nice to mark off things completed....FINALLY!

MtRider  ....guess it's time to go down and complete that.... 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I was going to go to walmart today to pick up some more shelve paper to finish the kitchen cabnets after I took car in for inspection. As it turned out, I called the place we take it to and they said it would be a couple of hours.  No big deal, I could do that and then go to walmart. When I got there they said it would be several hours. So I was going to leave and a man that just picked his car up asked where we live and I told him the neighborhood and he said he is from the fire department right down the street and he would take us home. So we did that.  So I got to meet one of our firemen. Very nice guy. We talked about all the construction going on and found out we are getting another hotel, another 7 eleven on other side of street and so much more.  He said they are building another fire station as the 2 we have can't handle the growth. It;s going to be bad and I am so ready to get out of VA. If only I could. He said our roads and schools cannot handle the overload. We couldn't pick car up till after 4 pm and I was not going to walmart and end up in there after dark. Not the best place to be after dark.  So will try to finish up tomorrow. So I ironed clothes and did a few small things that needed to be done. 

Jeepers hope you are doing better today. 

Mt. Rider I would love to mark my kitchen off as completed.  But today held that job up. May tomorrow be a better day.

• Like 1

Annarchy-

That picture is FABULOUS! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Did you do it from a picture you had, or was it all "in your head?" :P

Bought an emergency back-up battery from Finger-hut to power my CPAP during outages. It arrived yesterday and I "tested" it last night. The d@mn thing only lasted 4 hours - a rather short "night's sleep." Then it has to be recharged for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to be ready for use again. That means I'd have to go to one of the PG&E "comfort stations" to recharge it. Not sure I'd want to sit there all day while it charges back up. :( Back to the drawing board to solve this dilemma.

I plan to try it out for how long it might power my computer/internet - information is important during these "events." Hopefully it will last longer than it did for the CPAP. If it doesn't, I will be returning it for a refund. :blush:

I have also been puzzling how to cook (warm up, really) food during one of these events. I live in an apt so no fireplace, wood stove, etc. Generator's are not allowed for many safety reasons. I had purchased a table-top propane grill for this purpose, but it was too much of a PITA to try and assemble, so back to Walmart it went. I was actually going to try to use Sterno in it, but I couldn't figure out how to raise the Sterno can up high enough to have any heating effect on any pot or pan I might want to use. :/

So, I decided to buy a small pre-assembled charcoal grill that has an internal grate for keeping the charcoal off of the bottom of the grill, and has a second grill for cooking purposes. It is small (ie- not big) and has a round base that I believe will fit into one of the openings on my (enamel finished) stove top. I would just just remove the element and the drip pan from the stove and set the grill there to use it. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to experiment with it fairly soon. Will let you know how/if it works. :thumbs:

back-up.JPG.d864c605cc59ca33434ec9fb601e5456.JPG

grill.JPG.7f5530e8bc186df0f24a5f71393982d3.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

I was actually going to try to use Sterno in it, but I couldn't figure out how to raise the Sterno can up high enough to have any heating effect on any pot or pan I might want to use......... SNIP........

set the grill there to use it. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to experiment with it fairly soon. Will let you know how/if it works. 

MIDNIGHT......clarify that you are NOT going to use it for charcoal, but merely a way to use the Sterno, RIGHT????  

MtRider  ....otherwise, it looks like it might work for the Sterno just fine.  Good luck.

And Midnight.....toooo bad about the electric alternative that certainly did NOT meet expectations for your CPap!  :(   That's an important prep you must have.  Did any of the outages hit your area yet?  What a mess! 

Well, all those tubular poles to the Donkey Palace are now disassembled....and stacked up under the porch with all the rest!  :happy0203:     That was NOT an easy thing to do when they've been down there, stuck together for ....years!  I used a broken off length of wood.  Once a handle for a shovel, I think.  Solid...hickory?  But it gave enough to not dent the part I was whacking ...trying to get the parts separated.  Only one angle piece is still stuck on the long length.  I can live with that!  If anyone puts one of these "craft fair" tents up....and you need it to be semi-permanent, I would suggest pounding in 4 short, flimsy T-posts.  Then slip the upright wall tubes over those uprights on each corner.  It made our Donkey Palace stay nicely in place despite our enthusiastic WIND in the valley.  But with the ground half frozen, we were only able to pull up 2 of the 4.  DH might use an old type car jack and a chain to pull up the other two.  Not totally frozen in yet...but soon.  Rather not trip over them after the snow covers things.  :unsure: 

MtRider  ....okay, now I'm tired! 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MIDNIGHT......clarify that you are NOT going to use it for charcoal, but merely a way to use the Sterno, RIGHT????  

No charcoal inside! Just the Sterno. I bought the charcoal grill as a safety measure for containing the flames from the Sterno, and also because if I close the lid it will work as an oven. At least, I hope that is what will happen. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

And Midnight.....toooo bad about the electric alternative that certainly did NOT meet expectations for your CPap!  :(   That's an important prep you must have.  Did any of the outages hit your area yet?  What a mess! 

I've gone through 2 outages. The first one lasted for a total of 3 days and that included the time it took them to inspect the lines before re-energizing them. The second shut-off only lasted for a total of 5 hours. The power was shut off at 4:30 AM and restored around 9 AM. Neither one was too bad because even though it was windy (the reason for the shut-off) the temp was in the 60s so it never got very cold inside even without the heat. If it happens again when it is colder it probably will be a little tougher to endure. :/

• Sad 4

Midnightmom, I have two charcoal grills like that, one in TX & one here. Also, we have a compact sterno grill. We could use it in our tent while backpacking, and it didn’t seem to get hot enough to scorch the tent.  I have cooked a LOT of things on it.  :yum3:

85350800-D9F0-450D-9EAC-0907F3DAF6D3.jpeg

Mt_Rider, great to hear you were able to dismantle Maggie Mae’s shelter.  You enjoyed her company, you know it....  :008Laughing:

Jeepers?  How are you doing?  :pray:

Thanks for the kind comments on that pastel chalk painting.  My customer, a very very patient person, sent me the photo as a reference, however, it is only on my 2005 laptop computer and moving the screen alters the color. And... after I sprayed it to “fix” the chalk, the AZ dust dulled all the colors and grayed all the light colors... DH said I was NOT done.  :gaah:  So.... that’s what I have been spending most my time doing.... :0327:

I need to go to the store today, then, make & can more green chili salsa for him.  

• Like 2