MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

5 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Mt_Rider, great to hear you were able to dismantle Maggie Mae’s shelter.  You enjoyed her company, you know it....  

:rolleyes:  That ornery beast LOVED me!  :wub:   Didn't like DH tho.  Basically took his arm out of the socket while he was leading her home while driving a vehicle.  [ Road Tip:  After years of preparing our equines and goats to EVAC for wildfire, I've learned that one MUST keep eyes more on the critter you're leading, than on the road you're driving on!  And keep foot hovering over the brake...the accelerator: not so much.  DH was ....uh....less experienced.]  Anyway, she shouldn't have BEEN out on the road! 

I found that my ultra-logic-seeking brain was tortured by donkey-mentality.....simply TORTURED!  :gaah:    They just STOP.....and do not go......FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON!  :banghead:   And nothing can make them go.   TORTURE!   And that's normal donkeys!  Mz Maggie Mae was a certifiable BRAT!  :tapfoot:   She destroyed anything she could get her hooves or teeth into.  Turned our manure forks into so many chopsticks!  We like to keep those at Point Of Use.....not locked up in the safe!  Sheeeeeesh!  She'd drag things with her teeth waaay out into the pasture....and we'd have to go search for them.  

Ahem....   you'll remember what she did to the clothes on the :clothesline:   during our "Wagons Ho" journey.........  Uh huh!  :buttercup:    ;)  

OTOH....yes, she did love me.  And she was a cute little BRAT!  But in the end she became truly a danger to self and others.  She did not fit with our horse-size fences.....and developed a habit of getting on the road.  We could not afford to re-do all the fences and she could not be contained.  So she went back to the Rescue to find another person to be plagued with   ....er...love her!  :wub:  

MtRider  ....yes, we were having a trip down memory lane as we dismantled the now-decrepit Donkey Palace.   :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Also, we have a compact sterno grill. We could use it in our tent while backpacking, and it didn’t seem to get hot enough to scorch the tent.  I have cooked a LOT of things on it.  :yum3:

Anne, 

When you say "cooked" do you mean from raw food or just heating up stuff previously cooked and/or from canned goods?

Could you put a brick in the grill and put the sterno on that to raise it? Depending on how deep maybe even 2 bricks one on top of the other.  Might be worth a try.

This morning I went to the 3-L club at church. It is for seniors to get together and have lunch and they have a group come in a play christian music. Very relaxing and a good time with my friends at church as well as another group that comes from another church. 

Then I came home to check on DH as he was not feeling well today so did not go with me. And he enjoys going to those 3-L lunchings. Made it to Walmart this afternoon to get my shelf paper and walked though the sales. Got 12 sterno cans.  Picked up some cranberry sauce and stuffing for the food ministery.  Then went through and picked up a few cans of things that I was low on as I don't go to walmart very often. 

I am now going to slow down the food buying as I am well stocked and caught up on the things I was low on. Now I am going to concentrate on ways to heat home and cook.  I will be looking into solar as well.  

There is a company that i am looking at for solar called 4 Patriots.com.   They sell the solar generators but not cheap. They can run as much as $4.000, but are the real deal. I think they do have cheaper ones as well and I think you can make payments. Now that driveway is done and paid for, I am going to start saving for one. I think you can make payments on it each month, but not sure on that. I think the $4000 one is on sale at 1/2 price right now.  It would be worth checking into. And I think you can add solar screens to it for longer use.  

I know things are lining up and war is going to happen at some point. Russia, Iran and Turkey are our enemies and they want to destroy Isaeli. But we are their alleys and Russia feels we need to be out of the picture before they can attack Isaeli. So Russia already has the weapon that will take us out.  It will cause a country wide EMP and destroy our military and kill millions of people. This is what I am trying to prepare for now.  All this is in the Bible as to what is going to take place in the end times. Isaiah 9:10 John 8,  Acts, Ezekiel 37, isaiah 17, jeremiah 49,  Russia is Maggog accordain to Ezekiel 38:15 and 39:2 maggogs army has many allies, Persia, which is now Iran, That changed to Iran in 1935. Damasus will be a burning heap and we will be out of the picture as Russia will sent that weapon to cause an EMP.    So much of my Bible prophecy study is really beginning to make since.  

So please be ready as the end is very close now. I just hope I can get fully prepared within the next year. As we really don't know if Trump will win or what is going to happen. But I don't think things are looking good for the USA right now. And yes I am over this impeachment mess as it is covering up what is really going on in this world. 

• Like 3
On 11/8/2019 at 7:37 PM, Midnightmom said:

Sterno

You can also put a sterno can in an old toaster oven and it will warm quite nicely...probably even boil if the metal pan is right over it.  That's what we are able to use in our marine mini-grill.

• Like 3

Washed the bed linens and they're in a basket to take to the homestead.  I'll dry them there tomorrow while hubby works on his truck.  We had planned to do that today after he got the repaired mirrors back on my van, but it took much longer than anticipated...of course?  I'm so tickled to have my van back together again.  It was getting really dangerous to drive it because the rear view mirrors would stay in place.  Every time we'd hit a bump or slam the doors they would turn in and you couldn't see beside you without rolling down the windows and holding them out.  Anyway...tomorrow is supposed to be another very nice day and he'll get to work on his truck while I dry linens.  My dryer here has a seal out and it's too much trouble to try and repair it...since we'll be selling this place as is.  The new buyer will probably be a flipper and do away with all the appliances any way.  Washed and labeled the six quarts of Poblano peppers.  We love them in my chili rellano casserole as well as stuffing them with mozzerella and dipping them and then frying them.  I'll scorch them when I open the jar and get ready to use them...gorilla canning! LOL  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Anne, 

When you say "cooked" do you mean from raw food or just heating up stuff previously cooked and/or from canned goods?

Oh my, yes.  Beef, thin sliced, sauté, in butter, oil, such, remove, add veggies to the pan, sauce & spices, etc.  Stroganoff, stir fry.. roasts, chicken, soups, pancakes, bacon & eggs. Oh my so many meals. We lived, about 4 years , using just sterno, backpacking in the CO mountains and northern AZ northern wilderness.  But, I still enjoy using a camp fire or BBQ with wood for longer cooking.  Maybe we should start a thread about cooking outdoors. Lol.

• Like 3

Midnight Mom, were you plugging it straight in, or using a "DC/DC power cord"?  For DS1's machine, getting the DC/DC cord and using it makes a two-hour difference in how long the battery lasts.  (At the moment, it has been mislaid.)

Also, are you able to use a Fresnel lens to turn a Dutch oven into a solar cooker?

Jeepers, I am really worried about you.  Please move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think the time has come for me to invest in a pressure canner.  

I'll probably just get the 23-qt Presto one unless someone can make a convincing argument for something else.  I'm half-tempted to just get the 16-quart one, as it'll be lighter, but it's more expensive.

If I'm having to cut out nightshades and possibly more things, it's going to end up being basically impossible for me to find things ready made in the store, plus it would suck if the electricity went out with all my meat that's been delivered in it.

Do pressure canners normally go on sale for Black Friday or other points in the holidays?

23 quarts is what, 60 pounds?  At arm's length?  Boiling hot?  That would be convincing for me, these days.

Edited by Ambergris
6 hours ago, TheCG said:

I think the time has come for me to invest in a pressure canner.  

I'll probably just get the 23-qt Presto one unless someone can make a convincing argument for something else.  I'm half-tempted to just get the 16-quart one, as it'll be lighter, but it's more expensive.

I have the larger Presto canner. I usually only use the first layer of jars. However, if you use wide-mouth qts and pints, you can stack them (per mfg). I just did that with canning potatoes. I went a little overboard when digging/peeling a bucketful.  :grinning-smiley-044:  I seldom use it for cooking foods, though. For pressure canning, it requires 2 quarts of water in the bottom, which isn't too heavy for me. I'm also tall, so that may also help with the taller canner.   :whistling:

• Like 2
Just now, Homesteader said:

I have the larger Presto canner. I usually only use the first layer of jars. However, if you use wide-mouth qts and pints, you can stack them (per mfg). I just did that with canning potatoes. I went a little overboard when digging/peeling a bucketful.  :grinning-smiley-044:  I seldom use it for cooking foods, though. For pressure canning, it requires 2 quarts of water in the bottom, which isn't too heavy for me. I'm also tall, so that may also help with the taller canner.   :whistling:

I'm tall as well.  Good to know that It only requires 2 quarts of water.  I'd not be cooking in it, just canning.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Midnight Mom, were you plugging it straight in, or using a "DC/DC power cord"?  For DS1's machine, getting the DC/DC cord and using it makes a two-hour difference in how long the battery lasts.  (At the moment, it has been mislaid.)

I plugged it in to the battery's AC outlet and flipped the power inverter switch to the ON position.   My CPAP power line has an inverter on it for switching the household AC current to DC to run the machine, but the plug that goes into the converter is not the type of plug that can be plugged into the DC port on the battery. So, the inverter on the battery (which is DC power) was sending an AC supply (?) to the the transformer for my machine that was then turning it back into DC power(?). Does that sound correct??? No wonder it only lasted for 4 hrs! Also, the pressure setting on the CPAP is a little on the high side (13) so it would use more power just for that reason alone. :/

I'm not sure if I can buy a DC power cord extension to plug into the existing one to convert it to DC/DC. 

But I'm not sure if being able to do that would really make a difference on whether or not to keep this "emergency" battery or not. It took a full 24 hours of being plugged into AC power to replenish the battery. When the power is out for days at a time I would have to take the battery someplace where I could plug it in and safely leave it to go back and get it later......and it would really have to be for only 8-10 hours because I would need it again for that night! All in all, it just doesn't meet my needs. :(

• Sad 3

Thank you ladies so much! 

I had a long post typed out and lost it. I'm okay. I'm doing the steps one at a time and I will only carry stuff up with one hand. The other on the railing. Sigh. 

I had a talk with son yesterday. I didn't tell him about the fall. It just never seemed like the right time to throw it in. But he did say if I wasn't ready to move by May the first he and DIL are coming up and moving me out trash and all. Ready or not. Like it or not. He wasn't kidding.

D-ex called today and said if there is anything he can do to help he'd be more than happy to help. He meant like helping to pay people and U-Haul rentals etc. He lives across country. Nice to offer but...

Forgot to mention I don't have a downstairs bedroom but the family room is downstairs and I have a couch I can sleep on. I am going to take a blanket down and a pillow. I have a throw there but it's probably not long enough. I have extra bed linen stuff already. 

Edited by Jeepers
Continued My Thought.
  • Like 4

:hug3:  Whew....even skipping one day of posting here after a 'fall/stumble' event.....we worry.  :shrug:  

I think your son is getting the feeling that you need to be close too...sooner than later.   But then.....close to you-know-who.....  ;)  That sounds like a great plan!  And you didn't even TELL him....  hmmmm..  LOL  Yeah, hard to let the CHILDREN know about our issues, right? 

A Plan B for comfortable sleep on 1st floor is good.  Spare toothbrush...jammies...night lights....whatever makes you comfortable.  It will make you less annoyed at whatever happened and that you can't get upstairs that nite. 

MtRider  :amen:  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The DC/DC cord for my son's machine cost $20 on Amazon.  The cord for mine is proprietary and a couple of hundred bucks, so it will have to wait.  We used the older version of this:  

• Like 1

My downstairs is very comfortable. The TV and fireplace are there. Plus the kitchen and half bath on that level. I also have the recliner. I use that word loosely. Ever have furniture in such bad shape you are embarrassed to set it on the curb for trash day. That poor chair should have been put out of its misery a loooong time ago. I don't want anyone else to see it. :blush:  Yet I still sit in it.  

I'm thinking about another canner too. 

I'm short-ish. 5 foot 2 and I don't have a problem with the weight of a pressure canner. It takes little water and you load and unload the jars directly to and from the cannner while it's on the stove. I really like the kind where you can stack two levels of jars. I basically only can in pints so mine can stack 2 tiers of pints but one level of quarts. Can't remember the size but I'm fine with that. And wide mouth jars take up a little more space than the regular mouth jars. 

If you think you will be canning 2 levels you might want to get an extra (can't think of the name) bottom thing that keeps the jars off the bottom of the canner. Rack? Anyway, you need something for the top layer to sit on. 

I don't know if they will go sale or not. But sometimes if I put something in my Amazon wish list, after a couple of days, the price will drop. Just a little bit still.

• Like 3

I checked out an electric water bath canner after seeing a woman use it on Youtube. They have a spout to drain the water. It boils the water and has a timer. Then I saw the price. I don't use a water bath canned enough to justify the price. It's $120.00 and only holds 8 pints. 

Maybe they will come down. In the meantime I'll use a pitcher to fill and empty my water bath canner. I don't lift them. 

Another thing that hinders me in canning is my kitchen sink faucet. It a short, low to the sink, old kind. It's hard to fill, empty and clean a big pot. I'd like one of those tall gooseneck types. It's on my to-do list at the new house. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Ambergris said:
........partly because it could be charged by plugging it into the car.  

The one I have can be plugged into the car for recharging, too. But it takes 18 hours to fully charge!  My car needs to be running in order to use that accessory; and while it may be okay to recharge a cell phone, I don't think it's practical for the battery, and I can't afford to pay someone to rewire the car so that it wouldn't have to be running to do so.

• Like 1