MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

You would want to keep them out of the light. Filled jars are beautiful but stored in the boxes...not so much. 

Do you have room under your bed? They make those long, low totes with casters on the bottom for sliding them in and out. They also make them without the little casters on them. Some people use them for storing blankets or extra shoes. Or you could just slide the boxes under there. If I did that though I'd have to get a set of bed risers. Behind the couch? 

Or you could wait until your granddaughter leaves then put them on the shelves. 

Other than son and DIL, I wouldn't want anyone seeing how much food I have canned. Family and friends may be friendly today but if they or their kids get hungry, make no mistake, they will come knocking at your door if they know you have food. 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the input on this. So I will just leave the canned foods in back bedroom. I do have a lot under the bed in that room and can't get another jar under there.  I was only going to put out the oldest to use first but after what the two of you said, I will just keep bookcase for cook books and nick nacks. Though more than half of those books are going to get packed up. I have several I don't use like I used to. I guess old age and changes in diet due to salt restrictions and diabitics. But still don't want to get rid of them either. I am thinking of passing them on to all the grandkids to go through and pick out what they want at a later date. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

So what would you do. Store your food you canned on book shelf where everyone coming in would see it or leave it in bedroom in closet and underbeds?

thank you ahead of time on help with this issue.

We turned the end of the dining room/kitchen into a pantry, 2.5 feet deep. The four doors close in shelves full of can goods. Out of sight, out of mind.  :thumbs:

P1040177.JPG

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

eave the canned foods in back bedroom.

Dressers make excellent concealed places.  A drawer can hold pint jars very nicely, safe and out of site...and in the dark.  Just make sure the drawers are good and sturdy.  Then place pretty little "meals in a jar" on top for decoration...with a ribbon around the top so people will indeed think it's only for decoration.

• Like 2

Took a load of laundry with me and followed hubby over to the homestead.  Then while clothes were drying I helped him with the dreaded blowing of insulation into the bathroom's inner wall ... it was an add on so it had no insulation between the inner wall where it was attached to the former outside wall of the house.  Put myself on a head scarf, some vinyl gloves, some safety glasses and a silk blazer and I kept the hopper full while he manned the hose etc.  Didn't take too long.  He'll finish putting the other insulation in the ceiling and then comes the sheet rock!  There won't be much of that because the bathroom is small and the shower, sink and toilet take up one wall.  Then the other wall will be host to a shelf (we're closing off one of the jack/jill doors (that leads to our pantry bedroom, and putting shelves in it's place.  Then the other door.  So there's really not much rock to put up.  Not sure but I think perhaps he'll lay the new flooring and then the sink and toilet.  The shower is already in.  ONWARD!  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Out of sight, out of mind. 

Homesteader....those doors are so cool...If I was at your house, I don't think I could resist trying them out.  See how they roll back and forth.  :lol:  And then I'd see your 'stash'.  ;) 

LittleSister...I agree with the rest.  Keep in a dark place...outta sight.  Unless it's like....beans.  Then folks might not want to take them off your hands.  Somehow beans have a bad reputation tho they can be fixed quite tasty and are good nutrition.  Beans and rice.....That can be shown to those types of relatives!  ;)    Just like I tell curious folks that ask what I grow in the garden.  "turnips!!!"  :happy0203:  Yes I DID say that! 

Oye....yet ANOTHER bad day.  Had DH adjust me this morning.  Probably helped but I didn't actually feel alive until 10pm tonite.  Then suddenly.....  I was able to be up and had some energy.   Neither DH or I can figure out this recent sequence.  :cheeky-smiley-067:   Didn't get my mom out of the house at all this week....or me either.  Now it will be Tuesday ...the next chance after DH works the weekend.  :scratchhead: 

Feel like staying up tonite to use the better energy but.....that really doesn't work out well.  BTDT   :shakinghead: 

MtRider  .....we'll see what tomorrow brings?? 

• Sad 2

Love those doors. I'd be all over them too.  :D  Your house is going to be spectacular when finished!

We2, wish I had a handy hubby...sometimes LOL. Or maybe just a good friend who knows how to do things and is strong enough to do them. You are very blessed. Probably wouldn't matter. My sense of design and decorating talent is pretty much nonexistent. No imagination. And I can't visualize how things will look before they are finished. That leads to indecision. I can't even choose paint colors...and I have one of those big color things that flip out with all of Sherwin Williams colors. Plus tons of other paint chips.  Sigh.

Hope you get your strength back soon Mt. Rider. This flair up has lasted for so long. Since you are legally disabled, could your husband be considered your care taker so he could get assistance and not work away from the home. I have no idea how those things work. Might want to think about that before he is retirement age and on Soc. Sec. and considered a 'stay at home' person. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just thinking out loud.  :hug3:

Another thing about the visible food, if you had to have strangers in your house they could see it too. I'm thinking like police, firemen, ambulance, plumber, heat/cooling or repair men in general etc. Could be too much temptation even in the best of times. 

Amber, how is your shoulder coming along? 

Annarchy, you are being too quiet. What are you up to?  :icon19:

• Like 2

Annarchy, you are being too quiet. What are you up to?

:hidingsmile:  Doing this and that, always something.  :happy0203:

Everyone sounds motivated and busy.  Homesteader, your pantry is beautiful, I agree with Jeepers, I’d like someone to help with redecorating & remodeling. Then, again, there is no room to remodel anything in my house.  Lol  DH told me, if my back was healthy, he’d never be able to keep up with me. :icon19:

Last week, DH had a friend come over, early, on cleaning day, desperately needing his friendship.  We’ve been trying to encourage him, daily.  Since we weren’t able to clean, we had to do it Tuesday.  :sigh:  

I’ve been walking around the gardens, daily, looking at the growing progress,  collecting spice leaves and drying them.  Diced an handful of jalapeños that turned red and sun dried them.  When I use them, I grind them into powder.  Adds a nice spicy  flavor.  I still have 3 lbs of tomatillos to process, DH wants me to make & can green chili enchilada sauce.  

DH went out target practicing with Luna’s owner, while I made 4 personal sized apple pies.  The boys scheduled a play date for Gunny, next week, and decided on the menu,  wings, tater tots, and cheesecake.  

DH got motivated and disassembled the washer that died. No wonder it would never balance, several plastic parts were broken, one of the balancing arms wasn’t attached, the rubber parts and bumpers were sticky gummy and disintegrating, and the upper ring around the drum was half filled with water.  I have no idea how water got in there and we were unable to drain it.  We got most of it in the roll off dumpster.  I am going to use the outer plastic drum for a second mulch bin, perfect size for me to handle and DH wants to use the metal drum for a red neck fire pit.  :rolleyes:   We should be able to fold the outer shell and get it in the trash after the next pick up on Monday.  We don’t have curb side bulk pick up any more, so everything has to be crammed into the roll off.  The city used to come weekly and take anything we piled up by the road.  I miss that service.

Other than that, I’ve been spending most my spare time working on that painting.  :gaah:  Which reminds me, time to walk the yard, and get working on it again.  Whites turned grey, dark colors turned grey and the yellow turned green. I have managed to get the mat and frame ready for framing.  All that’s needed for that, is washing the glass.  

The sun is getting ready to come up, birds are flocking in for their morning seed, and the wind has finally calmed down.

• Like 3

Yeah...what Annarchy said:  :pray:  .....plus.... OW!  :(   This too shall pass*this too shall pass*this too shall pass!!!   Hopefully there is a reallllly WORTH IT goal at the end which you will achieve, Ambergris!!!  :pray:  

Annarchy....I LOVE reusing parts for other things....even if it is a bit "redneck"  Who defined 'redneck' as bad???  :lol:   Wish there was more effort in recycling/reusing.  And for good budgeting, that means less purchasing! 

Jeepers.... :hug3:  Thanks!  You know...we did think of DH being my caretaker "officially".  He already is unofficially, of course.  One thing that has stopped us is memory of what you go thru the PROVE EVERYTHING.  Yes, I'm already "officially" disabled for decades now.  But I still get requests to prove it again.  Latest one was the Life Insurance that had a disability clause.  I don't have to pay into it once I became disabled.  The last time I glowered at the guy on the phone and said:  You do know there is no cure yet for MS , don't you.   He was really nice and said yes, illogical...but they require it of everyone anyway.   

Anyway, the real reason is.....if the GOVT is paying for something related to my disability, then just HOW FAR can they stick their nose into how we [or in that case, DH] keeps house, serves meals, live, etc. 

Potential examples might include:

1)  We have itty bitty crammed-packed tiny cabin.  {THAT'S  a fall risk!}  <_<  Ya THINK?  

2)  We have 15 OUTSIDE stairs to climb from ground level to living level.  {THAT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR M.S.!}  <_<  Ya THINK? 

3)  I'm really home-bound a lot.  {You don't get out enough for good social interaction!}  <_<   Ya THINK? 

4)  Don't have a neurologist and don't take the standard MS meds  {You might not have the right to refuse these medical standards....maybe we should tell you how to run your health program for your own good! }  <_<   TRY that! 

I really don't know if any of that is a real potential.  But our good friends have been Host Home Providers for severely disabled adults for years and years.  The forest service pleads with folks to let the pine needles stay on the ground for the health of the trees.  But the county forces our friends to rake up their 5 acres constantly....cuz it's a wildfire risk.  I could go on and on with the rules and regs that they have endured..... 

So call us paranoid or wise.....but that's why we choose not to do that......although it would be nice.  :rolleyes:  Mebbe.....  :unsure:  And it might be good yet for DH to get out of the house a couple days per week anyway.  

MtRider  .....and today IS actually a fairly good day for me.....FINALLY!  :amen: 

• Like 4

Homesteader,  I love those doors.  Wish I had a place in this house to convert somewhere for a pantry.  But it is what it is. 

Thanks to all of you about my question on the food in den bookcase.  I kept it in the small bedroom. Went through all the cookbooks and don't ask how I ended up with so many. I packed up the ones I really don't use and put the ones I do use along with all my canning books back in the bookcase, but in much better order. I have my nick nacks placed on the shelves in different places as well. I had so much room left over that I took the books that I am reading and moved them from bookcase in office to the bookcase in den. Now I have a place to store my spices. going to make a curtain to go on the bookcase like I did for the 2 bookcases in small bedroom that house a lot of my canned goods.  I use top sheets to make the curtains and it works out really great. Keeps the food hidden and in a dark cool area. Under my 2 beds are already full of canned food. I did a great deal of canning last summer but a bit less this summer. I was thinking about not canning next year other than meat as I really don't have enough of that canned. But with the way this country is going I may rethink that idea. Only because I know I will have family members coming here to stay. Things would be much better with more than just DH and myself.  Safety in numbers. 

Mt. Rider, I hope things turn around for you soon and you will be feeling much better. One of my neighbors has MS. Good days and bad days. 

DH has been disabled for several years. Haven't had any gov't interference yet. Right now he is in bed asleep. The conjestive heart failure I fear is getting a bit worse. Going to see doctor next week. He went to market to cook collards for them and he needed help. He can't lift the 35 gal. pot they cook them in to put it on the burner. Nor could he bend over to pick up the collards to get them to the sinks. This has happened the last 2 times. He looses his breath so easy when he bends over due to the fluid that keeps building around his stomach. Plus his feet swell up so bad his shoes don't fit.  As it is I have to now put his shoes and socks on him. I am really starting to get very concerned about him. 

Sometimes I wonder why we are trying to prep, if that is what you want to call it.  I sort of call it keeping ahead of inflation. I think I am just getting tired out and need a break.  It's funny that my daughter wants to sell her house and down size. She still has two kids at home though one is 24 and still in college plus works full time and has a dog sitting business. The youngest just turned 18 yesterday and was over here earlier today helping me a bit.  My house is small and I don't have enough room. I think it is the way the house was built. No flow to it. But the house came with DH as he already had this house when I met him 38 years ago. And it is paid for. So not going anywhere.  I will make it work and find solutions to the storage problems and next spring start going through a lot more stuff to get rid of.  I think we have just acumalated a great deal over the years and it is time for it to all go. Spring cleaning in a few months and daughter and I can have a nice big yard sale. :gathering:

Ambergris, hoping you as well will be doing much better.   

I know how it is to having those down days.  Right now my back and neck is hurting.  Guess I was lugging to many books at one time. Think I need to have a yard sale next spring. 

• Like 4

Took rest of laundry over to homestead and finished that while hubby worked more on insulation the upper ceiling part with a special type of foil.  Now he needs to have good weather (and should have in a couple of days) to climb up on the bathroom roof (it's separate from the rest of the house) and put in flashing (it never was done when they re-roofed) and a vent so the bathroom doesn't get too hot...needs air flow like any other roof should have.  Leaves have pretty much fallen off all the trees so the ground is covered.  If he's got good enough weather next week to go on the roof, I may rake some and put them into one of our compost bins.  We have three.  They'll be safe there until spring when we can add "green" and food scraps etc.  Want to get some composting started.  Our city has a wonderful composting operation just outside of town and only charge 10$ for a pickup truck load.  It's beautiful stuff.  We're planning to do that also this spring when we again plant.

• Like 3

Mt. Rider, I see your point of view and totally agree. Once "they" are involved your choices are no longer yours. I suppose they could possibly even remove you from your home. For your own good of course.  :sheeple:

I'm sorry your husband hasn't been feeling well Littlesister. :pray:

I fear I'll be facing storage issues next year too. I'll be down sizing from a big house, that I don't need, into something more manageable. I've lived here 30 years and have filled 2 floors, a basement and a garage pretty well. :rolleyes:  

A play date for Gunny. That sounds so sweet.  :wub:

Gentle hugs Ambergris!  :hug3:

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Our city has a wonderful composting operation just outside of town and only charge 10$ for a pickup truck load.  It's beautiful stuff.  We're planning to do that also this spring when we again plant.

The closest composting city is 20 miles away and we don't have a big enough trailer. Otherwise, they'd find me loading up from their piles throughout Springtime.  :rolleyes:  Can't make it fast enough in this sandy soil.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1
On 11/16/2019 at 1:05 AM, Mt_Rider said:

Homesteader....those doors are so cool...If I was at your house, I don't think I could resist trying them out.  See how they roll back and forth.  :lol:  And then I'd see your 'stash'.  ;) 

Come on over and try out the pantry doors. I'll even load up your car with some of my stash.  God always provides more than we need.   :hug3:

• Haha 2

Weather was rainy this morning, then just drab, dreary, cloudy...about 50. So...we hung out together here.  He can't climb up on the bathroom's roof in bad weather so he's at a standstill until tomorrow.  I think I'll tag along since he'll be up on a roof, even if it's a low one.  Just for precautions.  Nothing much going on here today.

• Like 4

Tagging along sounds like a good idea. Better safe than sorry. 

The other day I was thinking about the dog who lived next door to you. So glad he found a better home before the really bad weather sets in for the long haul. I have no patience for people who don't take proper care of their animals. Thank God all of the people here take such good care of their pets. Above and beyond.

This much I know for a fact:

I know Abby Girl is treated like the little red haired princess that she is. She is even mastering thunderstorms with the help of dad's slippers to snuggle.

Gunny has his own swimming pool and play dates with his bestie Luna. And soon to be a big brother.

Miki's pups get catered special meals made by mom. Home made. Home canned. So pure even I'd eat it. No joke. 

Kappy and Mary's little fuzzy butts are kept cool as little Cucumbers in the hot sweltering southern summers. They also help to take care of stray kitties. Not sure how Whiskey Jack feels about that. He's probably cool with it. 

Koa hunts lions and tigers and bears keeping her mom and dad safe and gets to use more cabin space than the two of them put together. She is a good helper for her mom when they go for walks too. Helping to keep her upright. 

Who am I missing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've been catching up on everyone's shenanigans here and, wow!  Lots going on! 

Walked this morning, did laundry, eBay photos and wrote one draft, washed one dog. Later this afternoon, I will make pumpkin applesauce in the roaster. Have 10 pounds of apples and as much pumpkin as I want to use. Will let it cook overnight and can it tomorrow morning.

Peanut Butter and I went to the nursing home to visit a friend.  She was the talk of the town!, Peanut, not my friend.  LOL  Stopped at the day old bread store for my low calorie bread on the way home.

We are dealing with a new mortgage company that bought our mortgage recently. They decided we need flood insurance although our residence is not in a flood zone, just the back of the property. We could only buy the house if the insurance was waived and this is the 3rd company to buy it and the first to have a problem. We went right to the local bank where it was first originated and they sent the new company original flood certs and maps. We are waiting now for their response and wondering how God will work this out. So glad that I have all paperwork from closing! I will update when I can.

Pumpkin applesauce is in the roaster!  I will try not to be such a stranger!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 4

Busy day today.  Took DH to dermotology today and he had a biopsy on side of face for skin cancer.  Then when he came home his balance got worse. Seems he is bleeding from somewhere so now a trip to family doctor and then just take it from there. Hope nothing serious. He's been through enough. But I know there will be test coming. They are adding more test to his labs on Wed.  Prayers needed as his health is not good.   Also, came home from doctor and got all the clothes, sheets and towels all washed up. So that is done and now I hope to get back to getting things cleaned up around here. I feel I am finally making some headway on storage. Got all my spices out of the big box in closet and in the cubbie in office.  Just need to make the small curtains for each of the 4 areas that I have them in to keep them in a darker space.  What I really need is a hidding room for all the stuff that I have stored for hard times. But it is what it is. Just really don't want people coming in and seeing just how much I do have. But when you know you will be feeding a family of 10 down the road, it does add up. 

All you guys with doggies make me miss mine.  We used to have 2 dogs and 2 cats. But after the last kitty passed at age 21, we decided not to get anymore dogs and cats. But we do have grand dogs, cats and farretts. Does that count?

Well off to get a few more things done and then off to bed.  Need to be up by 5 am to go with DH to market to help him cook collards. He has had a hard time last 2 times he cooked handling those large pots. So I am going to go help him tomorrow. 

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Koa hunts lions and tigers and bears keeping her mom and dad safe and gets to use more cabin space than the two of them put together. She is a good helper for her mom when they go for walks too. Helping to keep her upright. 

Bold and underline is MINE!  :008Laughing: 

Remember when I stepped up on the recliner chair to position the "curtain" on the window....and came back down off-balance ....stepped on Koa.....fell on my rear and slammed the bookshelf?  :buttercup:  NOW every time I step up on that chair for the curtain maneuver....Koa runs to the bedroom till I'm back on solid floor.  :busted:  

:lol:   You forgot she's the Neighborhood Announcer regarding anything that flies, slinks, or smells bad.  The neighbors above us told me they start looking around for coyote/bear/mt.lion when they hear her really go off.  She announces a passing skunk in the evening before we're aware of it...eeeuuu!  Shut the windows!!!  She announces dogs ON HER ROAD...even if they're bringing their humans.  She announces birds, for petes sake!  But also the real dangers. 

She got to take BOTH her humans to the National Forest this afternoon.  There were new smells all over here and there and over here and c'mon mom....we gotta go over here tooooooo!  So tonite I'm :0327:   Breathe that fresh mountain air!  It was so WARM today...even later when it got cloudy, it was in the 60s and then 50s.  B)   Nearly has the top of the driveway melted.....  not quite tho. 

Tonite I have a very large FLY zooming around and crashing into things.  Initially it was making enough noise...I thot a MOUSE might have found it's way in here.   {psssst....don't say out loud but....we haven't had any evidence of mice in upstairs in a few months.  We also did not have our usual Fall ratfink in the basement/garage.}      :amen:  :balloons:   :band:  :balloons:  :amen:  

Miki...will be praying that your newest mortgage folks see the light regarding the flood insurance for the "back forty"....HOUSE is high enough!  I'll just bet the folks were glad to see a cute little Peanut come to visit.  :wub: 

LittleSister...will also be praying for your dh.  Good you're going to help with collards but .....that's your time to get other things done.  :shrug:  What can you do but your best?   

Nearly all of us are in the age category or health category [or both, drat it!] that might need more backup these days.  :buttercup: 

MtRider  ....takes more energy to walk dog on forest floor than on the mostly smooth road!!!  :blink:  But it was a glorious day! 

• Like 4

Have to start looking for a new electric stove.  Do you know how many brands, bells and whistles there are out there?  :0327: DH said to order one fairly soon as all the Black Friday sales are already being announced.  :imoksmiley:

We chose not to switch to propane because of the huge upfront investment of tank and plumbing. I really like gas, but it's not worth it at our age.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4

Prayers for Littlesisters husband! And absolutely grand pets count. Family is family.  :grouphug:

Mt. Rider, I do remember you and Koa doing the cha-cha. That was the first thing that came to my mind  LOL.  Oh my yes, and the neighborhood siren. She heads up the First Alert Four Legged Responders Squad of Colorado. Very important high ranking position...to her. Glad she allowed you to go with her on her 'new smells' recon mission to the forrest. Gotta keep up on everything in da hood.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Miki that is so nice of you to take Peanut Butter visiting. I know it was greatly appreciated!   :wub:!

Ugh, good luck with the insurance people. Tell them if they can't work with you, you'll be forced to find a new company. 

Homesteader, I saw an oven on TV the other day that had sliding oven racks. Like the kind on the under counter shelves. On rollers. It looked so much safer than the regular oven racks we have now that we pull out and then droop down. I'm not explaining it very well. I guess they glide rather than slide. Much easier and safer for seniors.

I was watching a lady who does a lot of home canning etc. and she has had change up some of the way she does things because of the price of propane and how much it takes. She uses electric over propane as much as she can. For instance she uses an electric water bath canner for fruit, jelly and pickles. And she has to use her electric roaster instead of her oven when she wants to slow cook things like when making broth. 

• Like 5

Just got back from the local bank that is helping us. The new mortgage company has updated our info and removed the "lapse of flood insurance" from our loan. Looking forward to papers in the mail reflecting that. I saw what loan rates are this morning and we have a better rate now than we might get if we refinanced.

Got the pumpkin applesauce pressure canned this morning, filled a large trash can from out in our shed and heading to a friend's house with a jar of the "sauce" in a few minutes.

So glad this issue was resolved quickly and positively through God and Sandy, our banker!

• Like 4

"Sat" shotgun...ie...a lawn chair in the driveway watching...while hubby was on the roof of the bathroom at the homestead...yesterday and today.  He fixed up some 2x4's with some plumbers strapping to secure sort of "walk boards" so he could maneuver around up there.  He went ahead and made a quicky tack of the new flashing just in case it rains (which it's not supposed to) and will hopefully get the job finished tomorrow since we're supposed to get rain they say.  I did take my hedge clippers and cut back all the now defunct garlic chive blooms, the dead Echinacea blooms, the Elderberry bush and it's new starts, the Mullein stems and a bit of the Dock.  Wanna see his new "tool" for working on metal roofs?  (This doesn't work for other kinds of roofs!) He'll put new screws with sealant in the holes when he removed the straps etc.  He'll also be putting sheet metal flashing under the metal siding of the house to keep the bathroom roof from leaking.  He drilled some vent holes up close to the siding so hot air and moisture can escape from the bathroom even though he put in a "fart" fan.  He covered the holes this evening with screening to keep bugs etc. out.  and the flashing will then go back over that. 

100_4778.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2