MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Good safety bars there, WE2s!  Hope rain holds off long enough for your Mr to finish!

:amen:   Yay, Miki!  That was a fast answer and a satisfactory one!  :amen:

My energy went bye-bye again today.  :tapfoot:    I NEEEEED my energy tomorrow.  DH has appt. with a new doctor's office.  Gave up on my now-wacko clinic.  Needs someone for his 'scripts!  So we always like to attend/observe/remember for the one who's having the appointment.  THEN I also NEEEED  to see my mom.  Take her out somewhere.  Last time was our Walmart run.  :pray:    Did get hair washed, bathroom basic clean and vacuum run around the middle of rooms.  DH's black sox leave little fuzzies around and drives me crazy.  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Nice rails, WE2.

Hope you are doing better today Mt_R.

Miki, it is nice to hear you were able to resolve your mortgage issue promptly.

Yesterday was busy.  I began preparing the wings around 2:00. While they were marinating, I cooked the fingers, for bone broth.  Company got here around 4, when it started to rain.  RAIN!  :hapydancsmil:  It did not deter Luna & Gunny from their play time. Muddy, wet, soaked, muddy, everywhere....yeah, they had a good time.  

It is still raining today, a nice gentle soaking rain, and brrrr, for me.  60* with no humidity is comfortable, with humidity it is giving me the shivers.  Hopefully, it will ease up enough for me to get a load of clothes into the dryer.  I barely got the washer covered, before the pre-rain dust storm barreled through.  It was so thick, it looked like fog.

Sorry you have to replace your stove Homesteader.  I hope you are able to get one you like quickly.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

Muddy, wet, soaked, muddy, everywhere....yeah, they had a good time.  

:008Laughing:   And our SW definition of "humidity" is quite a bit lower than most folks.  Yeah...just a bit and it's a real CHILL!  :frozen: 

We're having rain....er, snow....er, mist.....um.....  :scratchhead:  I think we got the variety platter today.  Heading out for DH doc appt. [pray the doc is sensible and wise instead of being a pompous JERK like the last few we'd been getting at the clinic]   Then to pick up my mom.  If it's going to be snowy, my dad doesn't drive and they need to stock up on groceries. 

MtRider  :wave: 

• Like 1

Mt. Rider, Hope all goes well with the new doctor. Prayers going out. It's hard to find good doctors anymore.  Hope you get your energy back soon. I know how that can be.  I have no energy this afternoon after having to take DH to doctor, then pick up RX, and do a little grocery shopping.  Now I am done for. 

The WE2's  That is a nice roof DH is putting on. I like the metal roofs. Just stay safe. 

DH has a full blown sinus infection so on antibiotic. Fluid in ears as well.  Also working on this other problem he has and so is on a liquid diet today and tomorrow and is to resume his blood thinner tomorrow. They think he may have popped a small vessel in lower part stomach most likely from being on both asprin and blood thinner for many years. But they are going to check it out. Also his dermotologist called and his biopsy showed a basil cell carcanoma. So off to see the surgon for removal. It is on his cheek. Small so shouldn't be to bad.  He has been mostly sleeping since got back from his family doctor. He also got an injection for fluid as he has fluid in his right lung. No wonder he has had problems with his breathing. The fluid pills had not been working very well. Gotta love generics. 

Went to market with him yesterday to help him cook the 6 bushels of collards for them to cover for the Thanksgiving orders. They have frozen quarts of them over the past 2 months to make sure they have enough,  but he will still be cooking right up to 2 days before Thanksgiving.  They usually sell about 800 or more quarts for the Thanksgiving holidays and then at Christmas and New Years as well. So need to get him back in good health for all this cooking.  I got to watch the manager cooking brunswick stew. He has a pot that holds about 80 gals.  He cooks up a batch three times a week.  He gets anywhere from 100 to 128 quarts in one batch. That is a lot of stew that goes out of there. It is so good.

• Like 2

Started to rain about half an hour ago...but the roof is safe and sound! :) He'll be working inside from now on...that's the plan.  We just hung around the house this afternoon after he went back to the homestead and re-arranged the tools he'll need to resume work on the inside bathroom project.  Screening on the inside then vented insulation panels (?) He almost has to become a contortionist to reach that area!  He's not a small man by any means! :24: But he'll get it done.  I'll be working around here.  Need to pull the half quart of Elderberry juice and add the goodies to make it into syrup.  Also filled another batch of capsules with the Moringa powder.  We take the Moringa caps as well as Echinacea caps and then our Elderberry syrup.  Also keep our Oregano essential oil sitting on the counter for our deep breathing.  Last time we looked it may rain most of the day tomorrow, but that may change by the time we get up in the morning!  

• Like 2

Little Sister....glad your dh's doc visit was productive.  Harsh that he has so many things going wrong but hopefully some of the changes will help.  RE: skin cancer.....I had a "divot" taken from just under my eye a couple years ago.  It was basal cell.....and that's good news.  It's not like other types.  I did let mine go too long.....SKIN CANCER IS NOT SKIN DEEP!  But I went to a wonderful skin care clinic that is quite amazing.  AWFUL experience made tolerable by the fantastically kind folks who work there. 

On the subject of doctors........  :amen:   DH's new doctor WAS INDEED "sensible and wise instead of being a pompous JERK like the last few we'd been getting at the clinic" !!!  :hapydancsmil:  We're thrilled cuz we've got few options up here in the boonies.  She asked a lot of questions, got things clarified on his history.  Was not offended [or offensive, like some] when I helped to fill in some of the history.  She noted his former profession as chiro and acknowledged that he had a lot more medical information/training than a usual patient.  AND that didn't intimidate or offend her.  ...as it should not!

Part way thru, I said we really like to have a medical person TALK to us....not down to us.  And look at us and have conversation where we might not be in agreement.  Then I said, we like you!  :lol:   And we do.  She did talk DH into some testing that he's considered overdue.  He'll bring in his 2 yr old EKG.  He understands her need for data ....so she can help him make the best choices.  She ends with....and I have to tell you that we recommend A, B, C E F G vaccines for someone your age.  He told her no on all but tetanus shot.  She accepted his choice...and told him with a smile "You know I'll have to recommend all those again next year.."   Yeah, we know.  

Hmmm.....if I have a big problem, maybe I'll go to her instead of that ole clinic! 

About 2/3 the way thru visit, I suddenly took out a couple of small ice/gel packs and applied them to my face and neck.  Doc looked at me and asked "what's wrong".  MS and hyperthermia....these exam rooms often get too hot for me.  That's why I carry my own stuff.  She looked relieved and went on with DH.

So....we went down to first floor and he got some labs done.  Then we took my mom out.  It was snowing but nothing was icing up the streets yet.  Melting.  Went to a pastry place and got sausage in a kolache [Czech sweet buns].   And some blueberry ones to take home.  One for my dad...sweeten his disposition.  We always do that.  DH's grpa was Bohemian.Czech and his Grma always made these.  We have her recipe!  :) 

Then we took my mom grocery shopping so she's stocked up for any off-and-on snow that seems to be in our forecast.  DH also filled his 'scripts.  I picked up a couple things....but the battery in the store scooter was dying so I rumbled the thing to the front of the store.  Then walked by leaning on my mom's grocery basket.  Oye!  I was wearing out by that time....it was 5pm.  Got my mom home and her heavy stuff up the stairs inside. 

Got to our house and ......didn't have to feed horses.  Sooooo much easier!  Hard choice/good choice.   :sigh:   Hoisted our stuff up the ropeANDpulley.  Now I'm resting!  But we DID IT!  Folks set for this weather.  We're fine.  REST tomorrow....etc.

MtRider  :amen:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

Miki,  I'm glad that was straightened out!

Mt. Rider,  I'm glad your DH found a good one!  I know exactly what you are talking about!  Like finding gold, anymore.    I'm praying you're feeling better. 

LittleSister,  praying for your DH. 

Amber, I'm praying for you, too.  I hope things are improving.

Jeepers, I'm impressed you remembered all those pets!

Ann,  did Luna's people ever say they checked into her problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miki,  Glad you got the mortgage thing straight.

Mt. Rider,  Glad to see the doctor worked out for you.  Tell your DH that as a now retired nurse myself that at his age there are 4 shots I highly recommend.  One is the tetanus which you said he was getting, the other ones are flu, pneumonia which is only every 5 years or longer depending on age. and the shingles which is a one time deal.  These for older folks is very important.  DH and I have already gotten ours.  Glad this new doctor is working out so far. 

DH's skin cancer is a basal cell and is set up to be removed on the 5th of December.  Then he has a consult with the gastro doctor to find out for sure if his bleeding was from a popped blood vessel. He's been on blood thinners for so long that it can thin the vessels. But doing colonoscopy as a precaution.  Better safe than sorry.  Fluid pills are not working well and he has fluid in rt. lung and his stomach swells so bad he can't bend over without loosing his breath.  Not to mention his feet and legs swelling bad.  Plus he has a bad sinus infection which are chronic and fluid in both ears.  So on antibiotic for 10 days.  He has good days and bad days. Right now it is 3:30 in afternoon and he went to bed for a while.  So he is not feeling all that well right now. 

He cooked collards for market this morning and I went to church to help out with the food ministry.  

But for an 82 year old, with a bad medical history, he hasn't done bad.  We will get through this also.  God is great. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All three of us decided to make a day of it and jumped in the truck and headed to the city...to pick up some books we wanted to purchase.  Only found two but we'll find the others if we're persistent.  We could order them online but we just don't purchase things online. We may just go ahead and use one of our smaller use cards to purchase on line...or maybe go ahead and take out an Amazon card.  I think Amazon gives you a bonus if you sign up for one.  We use Amazon Prime any way as well as a card for our Norton 360 program.  Who knows!  Did I mention how horrific an experience our trip was today!  Reminded us totally why we stay in our small town!  One area we had to pass through had police cars, fire trucks and all kinds of lighted vehicles surrounding a business, as well as several cars stopped along the highway.  Reduced traffic to one lane.  Then on a bit further, coming from the other direction, there was a number of law enforcement vehicles surrounding an SUV (a guy was standing in the middle of the highway...while LEO's had the vehicle surrounded and had stopped traffic about a mile away...and the traffic was lined up all the way into the city!  Then when we left the book store in one area (we visited two) we had to pull over for a fire truck, an ambulance and a squad car and when we were able to get back on the highway, had to detour...and guess what we ran right into?  Those 3 vehicles had a single car pulled over!  We were able to "nose" our way past and get around that mess and then loaded Elvira (our GPS) and punch "home"!  Decided it was an EZ on the cook night and stopped at Steak N Shake for their #12 (?) double cheeseburger and fries for $4 but with a senior discount only $3.70.  Ate, washed up, put on pj's and :imoksmiley:will grab a book shortly and hit the sack!  Abby-girl has already finished her "minty" (dental chew bone from Menards) and she's already in her bed!

• Sad 2

....and it’s still raining....  Wow!  We haven’t had this much rain since April. It’s awesome!  The garden is proofing!  :hapydancsmil:

This afternoon, I had enough time to open the washer, after that dust storm.. Yup, you guessed it, everything was coated with dirt, had to wash it over again.  Did manage to have enough time to do another load and BBQ for DH, before the next bunch of clouds swirled over and started dropping water on us.  It’s amazing!  Rain, glorious rain!  Except, we are gimping around, from the pressure change.  DH is gimping from his knees & ankles & every arthritic joint on me is screaming at me. Lol, it’s worth it, as long as our water bill goes down from over $300/mo.  Lol

• Like 1

We are just taking it easy today. DH is feeling a bit better though stomach is swollen still. Seems fluid pills just don't want to work for him.  I was trying to come down with a head cold but better now. Guess I caught it in time. 

So I have been working on cleaning up computer and deleting all the junk that keeps showing up in email.  Seems my email address was sold to every political we want money for our cause.  I do not give money to any polictical organizations. So got rid of all that mess. Hoping I won't get anymore of those emails. 

• Sad 1

Wow, WE2!  :o   What a horror story.  Why do folks live in places with that much clatter and trauma? :sassing:  Like most folks here, we only go to the 'city' a couple times a year...or a few times as possible. Right?   Usually that's to meet family at the airport.  Or get to the drivers license place.  Or major medical thing this year.  :behindsofa:

Little Sister.  Glad you took stuff to thwart the head cold catching you.  DH and I haven't been 'microbe sick' in years and years.  Well, last Feb he broke his years and years record tho.  Flew [in nasty airplane air] up to MN to see his mom in hospice before she passed.  Felt the "MN Coughing Crud" hitting him on the flights home but didn't dig out his preventative stuff til he got here.  :busted:   Too late already.  But while most had that thing for 2-3 wks...according to my friend who lives there and had it.....DH was down for 3-4 days.  I think it's been....7 yrs??....since I've actually fully had something.  Been borderline a number of times but not...quite....  :amen:    Still   :pray:  your dh's swelling goes down.  

Annarchy....wow, more rain?  Sorry that means a visit from Uncle Arthur.  Ow!  We wonder how it will be for DH on Maui.  A hot and humid condition ??? 

We've taken our portion of that weather in SNOW.  It snowed again all last nite and quit this morning.  But...still only 2-3".  UNFORTUNATELY...it's slick ....VERRRRRRY SLICK!  DH couldn't quite get the car ...with all sorts of gears to shift into....back up the hill.  Walking up he fell twice.  So he canceled some plans for today.  We got some sun the last 2 hrs before sunset....and it made it worse.  He walked down and fell X3.  :imoksmiley:   And he walked up and fell X3.  :imoksmiley: 

FINALLY he let Koa off the leash [we NEVER do that]  cuz her wild dashing about [she loves snow] was giving him even just little tugs and WHAM!  He'd go down again.  Seeee, for me, she's a working dog if we're walking that hill.  For him, she's a playmate and refuses to be serious and help him.  He has to work tomorrow ...leave by 11am.  He'll have to walk down to the car and change out of boots.  I think he needs different boots with treads but .... :whistling:    so far he's not listening to that.  I'll be sure to use my good winter hiking boots.  Finally repaired them with the shoe goo.  They're great on slick packed snow like this.  Not good on ice but what is besides metal cleats?  Supposed to be sunny days over the weekend....then more light snow.  B)   :frozen:   :scratchhead:  

Glad my folks don't have to go out in these conditions.  Did "Broken Hip" thing a year ago.  Don't want to go there again.  :pray: 

I slept hours and hours last nite and woke up unable to walk.  Barely creeping with a quad cane and a stick cane.  Took a couple hours until I could  walk with just quad cane.  Felt like a Mac Truck had plowed over me.  :0327:    Gradually function improved.  It's the Second Day Affect from being out on Wed with DH's appts and taking my mom out after that.  Always a price to pay.  :shrug:  

Much later I've been moving better.  I did get the 2nd turkey into the oven....cuz no place to put it now it's thawed.  DH carried it's Thaw Bucket in to kitchen  I got it into sink and prepared it....got it into the roaster.  But DH lifted that into the oven.  THEN put water in it.  It will be done in a couple hours.  We've been having turkey the past two weeks so next week....mebbe we'll have pizza!  :yum3:  

MtRider  ....feel tired just thinking of dealing with another huge turkey!  But it was FREE!  :shrug: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

DRAT!  I make ONE STEP OUT OUR BACK DOOR.....ONE STEP......  Sweeping that step off and put a foot on the board to sweep beyond that board in the dirt and  .....

WHAP.....SLAM! 

:motz_6:    Both feet sliding very precisely SIDEWAYS....  One nanosecond I was up.  The next I was on my right side on the aforementioned board....still clutching the broom.  Fortunately it wasn't the 15 steps in the front of the house.  :o  The back has ONE step and it's only 3" from the ground.....cuz the ground keeps raising as erosion happens from the mountainside. 

Oye....remember how I fall quite frequently ....but beyond needing my chiro, I don't get hurt?  The ONE exception to that was over 2 yrs ago when I did pull ligaments in my foot....but hey, my average is still pretty great.  Well there IS NO TUCK-N-ROLL when you fall sideways.  I'm still taking inventory but I think the biggest problem is a slightly sprained ring finger on L hand.  And I'm gonna need my chiro tomorrow.  Definitely.  Shoot!  He just got me all adjusted YESTERDAY.  IF that's all that's happened.....it's quite fortunate!!!!!!!  :amen: 

Had to roll off the step into the fluffy snow so I could gain my feet.   My next stop was the bathroom to completely disrobe.  I had snow sticking to me EVERYWHERE....and inside all three shirts!  :gaah:    Let's just say I was not a happy camper.  Disproportionately HIGH PENALTY for EXTREMELY MINOR RISK!  Drat!  ONE LOUSY STEP!   

Remember I said DH ....who falls about X2 per winter....fell SIX TIMES yesterday?  Whoa!.....we must have the worst conditions for SLICK we've ever seen up here.  :pray:  Sheeeeesh!

MtRider   :behindsofa:    ......I'm not coming out till spring! 

• Sad 4

Oh my. As we say around here, "You'll be sore in the morning". Glad you didn't break anything! Made me cold just thinking about that snow stuck in your clothing. Happy winter...not. :frozen:

I ran a couple of errands today. I stopped by McDonald's to get a grilled chicken salad. They couldn't sell any because they have been recalled. She said it was the romaine lettuce that was the problem. I've been wanting that salad for a few days. I was really looking forward to it. But not enough to get listeria or what ever the issue is this time.  Sigh. 

I thought, well I'll just go to Wendys. They have good salads too. Then I came to my senses. Believe I'll leave the salads alone for awhile. At least until after Thanksgiving. I had a Big Mac and fries instead. It was good. I tried to eat healthier but nooooo. :happy0203:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

lettuce

This may sound gross but it seems that this lettuce always comes from Calif.  Hubby and I agreed...with everybody crapping everywhere and with it all running everywhere...we'll be watching carefully ANY foods that come from that state.  I'm going to start my sprouting jar tomorrow.  We love a sprout salad just as much as a lettuce one and I know who had their hands on those! :wink(2):

• Like 3

Did a load of laundry and took it to the homestead...it's so much quicker to dry it there than hanging on the line on the back porch.  While they were drying we went to one of our local stores because they were having a sale on butter, celery and cake mixes.  Got 12# of butter for 1.89 a pound, 5 bags of celery for 88 cents a bag, and 4 spice cake mixes for 5$ and 4 carrot cake mixes for 5$.  Plus we got 3 cents per gallon added to our fuel card for the next time we get gas.  It's always good to get 3 cents a gallon off! 

Hubby went to the homestead and finished the insulation on the iceiling of the bathroom!  I pressure canned 9 pints of celery.  Love having that stuff ready to just dump into a soup, stew or ???  Changed the bed linens and put the wool blanket on the gel mattress then the sheet.  Warmer when the weather starts getting cold.  Hubby says he'll put the rest of the insulation sheets on the walls and then it's sheetrock time! 

Ran into an old friend at Aldis yesterday (needed some chips and eggs) and was absolutely shocked to learn her husband had been killed in a car wreck last year.  The three of us used to minister in a local prison but when that ended we sort of lost track of each other.  He was a friend on FB so I had no idea why he had quit posting...until now.  They would have been married 44 years this year...so lift her up in your prayers?

Watched the youtuber "Living Traditions" this morning and she was asking for prayer for herself...as well as An American Homestead....so if you don't watch either of them, I'll ask on her behalf.

• Like 1

Just about to finish a cuppa of Pumpkin Spice coffee with some Hazelnut creamer...oh yum!  I normally don't drink coffee after breakfast but I started having a cup in the evenings and it helps me stay up later and sleep through the night until my usual 7 or 8 am.  Also hunted down my dvd that turns my tv screen into a fireplace as well as my cassette tapes of the Bible.  So I've been enjoying sitting in the mornings with my coffee, my "fireplace" and "the Word" soaking in!  Hubby sits in his chair and reads quietly also...he doesn't drink coffee or tea so once in a while I'll make him a cup of hot chocolate or hot apple cider. 

The weather has been really beautiful today and is supposed to be that way for the next couple of days.  This is more "normal" for our November's.  We don't usually see a real winter until mid December through February (sometimes March).  

• Like 1

I agree with you on the fecal/urine matter on some of those farms. Ugh. That's carrying 'organic' too far. 

Sorry to hear about your friends husband. What a shock. Sending prayers. I don't know about those two YouTube channels but will check them out. A couple of months ago there was another Youtuber who died. She was sick for about a month and found out she had liver cancer. She only lived a couple of weeks after the diagnosis. She was only 45 and left behind 8 or 9 children and was pregnant at the time. Baby died too. Her youngest is about 2 years old. So very sad. Turned out her liver/pancreas cancer started as breast cancer cells that are in other organs. So in essence, she didn't die from breast cancer in her breast but breast cancer in her liver. They only found out after the autopsy. Her husband documented the whole thing. Name is Andrea Mills. 

• Sad 3

I'm keeping it low-key today.  Have gone outside on the porch but no further.  These are drastically slippery conditions right now.  Trying to let it melt into some cleared spaces but....we have more weather coming in ??? tomorrow nite, I think.  As in possibly more snow.  Not a lot but this is adding up.

My body is basically ok.  Fingers are slightly jammed on L hand but I can still type.  Making a few more errors.  Have to be careful trying to lift with that hand.  R hand is a bit sore but not much.  DH adjusted me AGAIN this morning.  He said not too bad but a couple key things were out.  So.....I'm taking it easy.  No tripping over the dog.  :lol: 

:pout:  I was quite offended that Mizzz Barks-Alot didn't even come to check on me yesterday.  She was barking at something and might not have noticed me down....a few feet away.  :rolleyes:   There must be some critter hanging around cuz she's been non-stop MOUTH for the past week.  :behindsofa:  

MtRider   ....and we got down to 4* last nite  :frozen: 

• Sad 1

Washed, dried and labeled 8 pints of celery this morning.  We went back and got more celery and some baby carrots that were on sale for 75c a bag.  They're waiting in our cooler for me to put them up tomorrow.  As much soup as we eat during the winter I just can't have too much celery, carrots, potatoes and onions put back.  After breakfast we went to our favorite park and took a nice long walk with Abby-girl.  The back part of the part is closed so we let her off leash so she can run and get some good fast paced exercise. 

Last night she was the flatulina fairy and laying in her bed, right beside my side of the bed...and WOW!  Hubby even could smell her in the room he was in.  Then tonight she crawled into her crate while I was sitting at the tv tuning in some stuff...and she did it again!  Is she saving this "aromatic" stuff just for me!?  We stopped giving her raw veggies with her lunch thinking that might cause it...but not.  Tonight she had some pieces off the sweet potato that I cooked for supper, but that's too soon for the digest I think.  Anyway...she's curled up in her bed again...oh I hope she's done! She's doing her "duties" just fine so we know it's not a clogged exit!  When we take her for long walks she gets down to the "soft serve" so we know she's empty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, Littlesister said:

So I have been working on cleaning up computer and deleting all the junk that keeps showing up in email.  

Depending on your email client, you can set up filters so that all of that unsolicited mail that your spam filter doesn't catch can be automatically sent to either your spam folder or the trash. :thumbs: :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
On 11/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I did get the 2nd turkey into the oven....cuz no place to put it now it's thawed.  It will be done in a couple hours. 

Here's a recipe for cooking a turkey in TWO HOURS! I have roasted my turkeys using this method for the last 5 years or so. The turkey is juicy, the skin is crispy, the family is happy. :D  And YES, the most important preparation step is to make sure your oven is CLEAN!

Directions
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 475 degrees F (240-250 degrees C). This is what you'll roast it at for the ENTIRE time. Since this employs the use of a VERY hot oven, make sure your oven is CLEAN before you start, AND put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the roasting pan to reduce the risk of smoking your family out of the house. NOTE*- even WITH a pristine oven, I still smoked out my house last Thanksgiving... so a tip to cut down on the smoke issue is to add about an inch of water (or broth) to the roaster pan...and keep replenishing it as needed. By doing this, not only was the smoking problem eliminated, but I had terrific drippings for gravy! Hopefully this will eliminate the smoking issue!!
2. Place oven rack on LOWEST or SECOND-TO-LOWEST position in oven. The lowest position may be too hot in some ovens since it's directly above the heating elements.
3. Remove all giblets, neck, pop-up thermometer (if there is one) and any trussing (like the plastic thing that holds the legs together).
4. Rinse turkey THOROUGHLY, inside and out with cool water, letting all water drain out of neck and body cavities. Pat dry, inside and out, with paper toweling.

5. Place on V or U-shaped wire rack in roasting pan, so that turkey doesn't rest on bottom of pan. First time I made this I didn't have a rack, so I just slapped it in my grandmother's old-fashioned blue-enamel roaster pan and it turned out FINE. If you don't have a rack...take a long piece of aluminum foil and wad it up into a long rope, then coil it in the bottom of the pan and rest your turkey on that. NOTE** I STRONGLY RECOMMEND KEEPING 1-2 INCHES OF WATER IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR ROASTING PAN DURING COOKING. This will GREATLY reduce smoking (which can be brutal). The first year I made this, I didn't put water in the bottom of the pan...and I smoked out my house. The turkey was fabulous, but the house was SO smoky.
6. Rub entire outside of dried-off turkey with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. I use Kosher salt because it has large, coarse grains.
7. Pull wing tips AWAY from the body, twist them and tuck them, backwards, under the bird...up by its neck.
8. Using aluminum foil, form caps over the end of each drumstick. If any parts of the turkey extend beyond pan rim, make a foil "collar" underneath to make sure drippings flow back into pan.
9. Do NOT tie legs together, do NOT add stuffing, do NOT close body cavity. NOT NOT NOT. It's probably okay to put a little seasoning in the cavity (herbs, lemon, onion) but don't fill up the cavity.
10. Half-way through cooking time, turn the roasting pan around 180 degrees to ensure even cooking. Do NOT flip bird over.
11. If any part of the turkey becomes too brown during cooking, cover it loosely with foil tent.
12. Cooking timing chart below: (times are approximate)

• 10-13 lbs. = 50 minutes to 1 1/4 hrs.
  • 13-16 lbs. = 1 1/4 hrs to 1 hour 50 minutes.
  • 16-19 lbs. = 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs.
  • 19-22 lbs. = 1 3/4 hrs to 2 1/4 hrs.
  • 22-24 lbs. = 2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs.
  • 25+ lbs. = 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hrs...or a bit more depending on how humongo it is.

It's done when internal temp (in thickest part of BOTH the THIGH and BREAST) is 160 degrees. Make certain they are BOTH at temp. Sometimes the thighs take a bit longer. When done, remove from oven. Cover completely with foil, and let rest 30-45 minutes before carving. The internal temp will continue to rise to the recommended 165 degrees.

NOTE:

I originally got this turkey from Food Network's Alton Brown. HIs instructions vary slightly from those above.

1. The instructions in the recipe above do not call for the use of a meat thermometer. Alton Brown does. He says to insert a meat thermometer at an angle at the thickest part of the breast TOUCHING the BONE. Place the turkey into the oven with the thermometer at the back.

2. Roast the turkey at 475F for the first 30-40 mins, then REDUCE the heat, turn the turkey around (so you can see the thermometer), and finish cooking at 375F until the thermometer reaches 160F at the BONE.*

3. Remove turkey from the oven and cover breast. Allow to rest for 20-30 mins before carving

His notes say that 160F at the bone (which is the coldest part of the bird and takes the longest to warm up) means that the breast meat will be at 170F.

Here's one of my turkeys cooked this way.  :cook:  :yum3:  :feedme:

1936959708_Thanksgiving2016A.jpg.5746536a7aa5efc0040efada10edfae4.jpg

610562213_Thanksgiving2016C.jpg.1a250b1ae0b2e1e95775c08c0334e0ea.jpg

1849230859_Thanksgiving2016B.jpg.a92269a395bba5f4b08f804cacc34c41.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1