MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thanks Miki, I will try it.  

It rained all morning yesterday then the sun came out.  :woohoo:

I went through the boxes of Christmas decorations and hung Mom’s wreaths on the doors & windows.  Then, she asked me to put up the tree anyway, she said she’d be sadder if it wasn’t up.  

The rose I brought her began loosing its petals, but she didn’t want to throw it away yet, because it still smelled like a rose.  Lol

Then, I cooked, everything but the rice, came out well.  The 1/2 gallon water bottle had leaked and emptied itself on the trip here, soaking the box of food and my BOB! I will never use it again for traveling, that’s the 2nd time it has done that.  Lesson learned.  Found out the BOB will withstand wet weather.  :happy0203:

I’m going to take it easy today.  Achy from putting up her decorations.  :rolleyes:  Mom collected all the catalogues she got in the mail and saved them for me to browse through, there’s at least, 40.  Lol.  I’m keeping the Neiman Marcus food catalog, to pick our Christmas dinner from.  NO, I won’t be buying it from them, instead, I will be making it from scratch.  There is no way I would pay their prices.  Herb roasted turkey, $105.  Green bean casserole, $60.  Hickory smoked peppered ham, $150.  Hickory smoked ham, $160!  Turkey breast meal, $376.  Vegetarian cornbread dressing or traditional cornbread dressing, $85.   Good grief!  I’m very grateful I know how to cook.  :shakinghead:

• Like 3

Thanksgiving was a nice QUIET day for a change!  Had dinner at our friends' home and watched a TV movie with them before scooting home to take care of the animals.

On Wednesday we heard Jack (the Aussie, he seems to like being the outside dog) barking & barking & barking.  He alerts to anything out of the ordinary within his visual range both inside & out.  Usually he is just barking at the outside cats, who (depending on their temperament) stroll or dash past his pen. 

Mary went out to get some extension cords to finish up the Christmas display hookup, and looked across the road to our neighbors and saw his dog hanging, apparently from the neck, from his trolley run line, struggling to get free.  She shouted at me "Charlie needs help he's choking!" grabbed a wire cutters and we jumped in car (faster than our fastest gaits now days).  Fortunately Charlie had a let thru the noose/loop of cable alongside his neck or he would have been dead before we got there.  We cut him free, then took him to Walmart to replace the cable we cut.  Neighbors were not home. 

Charlie is a sweet 6 mo old "golden-doodle" and is the size of a german shepherd, but with blond curly fur, like a poodle.  He was very good in the car, and very friendly once he calmed down a bit from his panic (which made him super clingy and anxious).  Nice dog, we like him, and have overlooked the times he had escaped and come over to visit, but one of the neighborhood walkers (they carry sticks & pepper spray for dogs, apparently they have a fear of them) reported his being loose to animal control and his owners got a $750 ticket for him being loose, no rabies tags, etc even though Mary went over and caught him right away and tied him on his trolley...back story).  

When we got home the neighbors were looking for him in a panic, and were grateful that he was safe & sound.  We gave him the new cable, and Mary talked with them about how they were going to try to work with Charlie more.  Well, they have 3 children under 3, both work full time and Charlies spends his time in his kennel (he gets bored and tears up the house, and the Mom was mad when he pooped in his crate  (after 10 hours I'd poop there too).  When the dad said "why don;t you take him, we cant take care of him properly"  Mary immediately accepted.  Of course, they are free to come see him anytime, but frankly the kids are too young to even realize the dogs is there or not, and the parents are too busy after work wrangling the todlers to give Charlie the attention he needs & craves.  

So now we have ANOTHER dog, but what the heck, the more the merrier!  Chaarlie is a sweetie, and seems eager to learn & please, so with a little gentle training he will be quite an asset.  (Dang!  I looked up what those breed cost and I am breathless with shock!)  Monday after Thanksgiving we will adopt Charlie, as we agreed to wait until after the holidays to lessen the stress on all the kids, be they canine or human....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

No shopping for me today.I have that virus that is going around. I haven't been out and about to pick it up. In fact in didn't leave the house last week. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, shivering, back ache, head ache. No fever though.  I feel awful. I'm so thirsty too. I got a bottle of water and couldn't open the blasted thing. I had a cup of ice left over. I finally gave up and started stabbing it with the scissors. I looked like Norman Bates in Psycho. It still didn't want to open. It finally did after spilling water on the bed. Pfft. I just turned the wet spot under and will deal with it later. I really feel bad!

• Sad 6

:pray:  Jeepers  :pray:   Do you have someone [close by] that you can call if you get so sick you can't take care of yourself?   [not the leering neighbor.... ] ;) Seriously tho....you sound like it's MISERABLE!  :(   If you have IT {what ever 'it' is}  so bad,  you need someone to make you warm soup and make sure you keep hydrated [with less stabbing of bottles]....and ....and....and....   :(   Are you upstairs or downstairs where the fridge/cupboards/etc are?

I looked up at the window about 6 minutes ago and saw   .....  :runcirclsmiley2:.......SNOW BLOWING SIDEWAYS!!!  Oh for petes sake, again?  It's blowing thru very quickly.  The big blue Doppler blob is nearly past us already...but there are more blobs all over.  A cluster of lows in UT and western CO are drawing a bunch of moisture up from the SW.  Wow.....for the past many minutes, I could barely see out the window.  And just now....it stopped!  Well, OK.  Quarter inch of sticky snow to scrape off the porch/15 steps.  Now if we just dodge all the rest of the little blue blobs...

OK...forgot to hit send.  Walked dog...not snowing.  DH and I put together a beef stew in the cast iron pot.  In oven.  FINALLY able to manage washing hair today w/o further damage to wrist.  It's improving but typing doesn't feel so good, actually.  

MtRider ....we got weather popping up all over - stay safe y'all. 

• Like 4

Slept really late (stayed up late) so fixed sausage gravy over biscuits for breakfast and some orange juice.  Then we watched a utube mover "Snow Walker"...quite interesting about a man totally NOT prepared!

Then we crawled back in bed and slept again! LOL  We then had a bite of late lunch and hubby ran to the library to return some books and check out more, stopped at WM to pick up his meds and then couldn't resist stopping at Menards.  Said the crowds weren't bad.  I did clean up duty here. Threw a load of clothes in the washer and will take them to the homestead in the morning to pitch in the dryer while hubby continues the bathroom project. 

It's been raining on and off all day (as it was yesterday).  I think it's supposed to stop tomorrow?  Pretty chilly but nothing freezing.

• Like 3

Jeepers, So sorry you are sick. Hope you do have someone nearby that can help you if you don't get better soon. Try to drink as much as you can to stay hydrated. :pray:.

The WE2's,  What's it like to be able to sleep in?  I have been up by 5 am every morning for weeks. Only one around here that gets to sleep in these days is DH.  I got the sweet potatoes canned. So that job is done. 14 quarts and 8 pints. I really do need to get a second pressure canner. Can only do 7 quarts or 8 pints at a time. So I may be looking into that. Just have to be careful as to how tall it is to clear the vent hood. I think next year I am going to pull out the propane burner to use outside for canning as I can buy a bigger canner if I can get that set up. Though I don't know how long a 20 lb propane tank will last. We go through 1 a year for the grill. But I think this will take some gas.  Might be worth it though. I could get done in half the time. 

DH is feeling better today. But that cold will not go away. Still snorting green and he finished his antibotics today. Need to find something that will break up that flim in his throat. It is so thick his meds get stuck in throat and he gets choked. Something needs to thin it out but having found anything to break that up yet.  Got him drinking more water today, so the fluid is not as bad. I told him he had to drink water as his body is deydrated and thinks it needs to hold on to what water it has. So now he is starting to feel a bit better. Going to try to get him to drink more water tomorrow. He can be a stubbering old goat at times. But at least I am getting through to him on the water. 

Now that Thanksgiving is over and the sweet potatoes are done. I am going to start back on the house cleaning. Need to get ready for Christmas. It's going to be a bear to get tree down off of loft as I put as much stuff in that shed as I could because of the driveway work. At least it kept the cement dust off of all that. But now I have to pull it all out to get to what I need for Christmas. Not going to do as much decorating as I usually do. DH can't do much to help and I am tired this year and not been able to keep up with things with going to market to help him cook and all the doctor appts. that keep popping up and more coming. But as always some how it all gets done.  Thank you Lord for keeping me going and giving me the energy to get it done even  if I am slow at it. 

This weather going arcross the states has been really bad. So many states with some bad snow storms.  We haven''t had any snow but the rain is coming and my fingers are feeling it tonight. Though I think some of it is from peeling the sweet potatoes this morning. So off to get some ben gay on them and my glove on to keep hands warm. Stay save and warm everyone. 

• Like 4

Kappy

Okay, I put up a post about how you needed a fence--because a garden without a fence is a community resource-- and then I went back and saw you already had one.  It is just purely rude to comment about a garden behind a fence.  Who does that?

Maybe you need to reinforce the fence, make it stand up straighter, and weave those privacy strips through it on the street sides, at least a few to break up the view.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

Jeepers?    You didn't pick up something from that Subway sandwich, did you?   :pray:  you're doing ok today. 

Today our weather is noteworthy...again.  We had sun....clouds....sun....clouds.  Finally the sun won the battle.  THEN the WIND came.  :o  Man-O-Man!  REALLLY STRONG.  It's picking up some of the gritty, granular snow from yesterday's short blizzard and throwing it NorthEastward.  Coming right up our valley and hitting house.  All sorts of :scratchhead:  mysterious sounds and noises outside.  As in:  What Now?   Log cabin is creaking!   I put :clothesline:  sox and undies up much earlier.  They're about to take flight!  I'll have to shake granular bits of snow outta my sox!  Sheeeesh!

If this doesn't calm down at sunset...not sure I'm going out.  DH at work.  AND they changed his hours AGAIN:tapfoot:    This week Sat/Sun AND Mon/Tues.  After that: Sun/Mon/Tues  2PM to 10:30pm...   :gaah:    We don't WANT the late hours during dangerous WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS!!  He couldn't really give me details on the phone.....someone is getting fired and this is to cover their shift.  Yanno WHAT?  I don't care.  I want him home earlier.  He's old.....don't have no business being out so late and FRIGID cold with an old car in these mountains!!! 

MtRider  ....ow!  My wrist is so much better but typing HURTS. 

• Like 3

I'm feeling a little better today. Couldn't feel much worse. I had four blankets, doubled, on me last night and a big hearing pad and I still shivered most of the night. Sometimes I was cold and sometimes I was just shivering. Everything ached. The worst is my stomach. Vomiting and nausea. Even Zofran didn't help. 

I do feel better but a little bit weak. I don't know where I picked it up. It sounds like the same thing son, DIL and grandson had two weeks ago. Except I wasn't around them. The only place I've been was the pharmacy and the Subway the day before I got sick. Before then I hadn't been anywhere for over a week. I'd think something like this would need to fester a few days. I'm not sure though. It's awful for about 24 hours and then it's gone. Just sore from laying in bed and vomiting. My back hurts and I had the worse headache I've had in a long time. I'm still a little queasy but 24 hours made a big difference. 

I'm upstairs and had a big sweet tea and bottles of water when it hit. So I was okay until I couldn't get the water bottle open. I put some of those rubber bottle/jar cap openers in my Amazon list. I'm going to send off for them. Other people swear by them. Just a big round rubber disk. I had to stab and stab it with scissors to get it open. I don't know if I was weak or the bottle was strong. I'm thinking it was me. I went downstairs sometime in the night and got a can of Campbell's homestyle chicken noodle soup. That and Campbell's chicken rice soup are my go to meals when I'm sick. I stayed downstairs and ate it. Then I couldn't get warm so came back upstairs...slowly. 

If I got really down the only one I could call here would be the EMS. That would be last resort. I guess go to the hospital and say I was dehydrated and needed an IV and something for throwing up. I would really have to be desperate to do that though. Waste of their resources. As bad as I was last night, I still could have driven myself to the hospital. It is only about five miles from here. But then I'd probably get stuck in the waiting room for hours. 

I'm still not 100% but about 75%. I'll take that! A little nausea, sore abs and still cold. But I'm staying in bed watching a Twilight Zone marathon on Prime. :happy0203:

• Like 6

Jeepers!  I do hope you are feeling better now!  It's hard to be really sick when you are alone! 

And Kappy, I am so glad you two adopted that pup!  I've never had one because of cost but I know they have a gentle and sweet personality!  He is a lucky pup!

I had Church this morning and have a turkey in the oven to freeze later.  Going to do my exercise video and then do some decorating-inside and out.  It's a beautiful Fall day here!

• Like 2
On 11/29/2019 at 6:54 AM, Annarchy said:

Neiman Marcus food catalog -- Herb roasted turkey, $105.  Green bean casserole, $60.  Hickory smoked peppered ham, $150.  Hickory smoked ham, $160!  Turkey breast meal, $376.  Vegetarian cornbread dressing or traditional cornbread dressing, $85.   

Do those prices include shipping???  :o :blink: :wacko:

You (not you personally) know the food will not arrive at serving temperature and there will be some work to do to get it ready to serve, so why not just make it yourself???

:cook:  :feedme:      

• Like 3

Wow, that is expensive. I have seen prices like that in catalogs but not quite that high.  Usually they come frozen or overnight it. But no it will not be warm. You would have to heat everything up. 

Jeepers, I really hope and pray you are feeling much better today. 

Went to Church this morning but only stayed for Sunday school as DH was not feeling well when he got up this morning. So skipped the church service to be home with him.   I am the secratary of our Sunday school class and I have no one to back me any longer. So now have a class mate that is going to do it. Started teaching her how to do it this morning.  DH is feeling a bit better this evening though. Just hope he has a better day tomorrow.    So other that that I have had a quiet day today. Just taking care of DH and making sure he is drinking enough water. I think I finally got through to him that not drinking is messing up his kidneys though he is holding fluid. His body is deydrated and that is why his kidneys were trying to shut down. Doing better but labs next week will tell the tell. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Do those prices include shipping???  :o :blink: :wacko:

You (not you personally) know the food will not arrive at serving temperature and there will be some work to do to get it ready to serve, so why not just make it yourself???

:cook:  :feedme:      

No they don’t include shipping. MIL used to order the food, when she & Da were both working.  She had the money, but not the time to cook from scratch, and she really didn’t/doesn’t like to cook.  That’s the reason I prep 1/2 portions of food & bring it down to her, vacuum sealed, frozen & dated.  Like 1 cup per bag of bean soup, 1/4 cup refried beans w/ 1/4 cup Mexican rice per package. 1/2 red beef & cheese enchilada per package or red chili n cheese enchilada. 1/2 cup spaghetti.  1/2 cup lasagna, etc.  

And I caught the crud going around. I will try to get a doctors appointment tomorrow, it’s that bad.  I can hardly breathe, among other things, and am freezing with a fever.  :fever:

• Sad 2

OOTO, I hope those storms don’t hit you too hard.  When we got home, the puppy pool had over 2” of water in it. Pools of water along the road and mud everywhere. Our neighbor said he couldn’t see across the street. 

Hoping your DH will be OK working those longer hours & driving late at night, Mt_R. :pray:

Thank you for rescuing Charlie, Kappydell.  I can only imagine the adrenaline rush you had freeing him.  

Littlesister, I hope all turns out well for your DH & he starts feeling normal again.

How is your shoulder, Ambergris?

We2, any timeline on when you are going to be able to move into your newly remodeled home?

I bet your Christmas decorations look wonderful Miki.

GLAD to hear you've improved, Jeepers.  I was wondering if it was food poisoning from the Subway.  Not sure that comes with such awful chills as you describe but...  :shrug:    Dunno.    Take care!  You're definitely a survivor, my friend!:hug3:

I finally have my truck in Winter Position in the driveway.  Backed over near fence opening....ready to go forward after chugging to start.  Can go straight down driveway hill.  'Course as I brought it up tonite, aaaugh!  I automatically turned the wrong way.  Had to do a jig to twist it around. 

I think my brain has gone on vacation.  I'm really making so many errors.  Gaaah!  Annoying to be making so MANY brainless errors.  :yar: 

I did have one very good idea today.  I needed to do some work on our driveway here at the top.  But wanted to protect my wrist.  So I cut out a piece from a pizza box top to support the wrist under the ACE wrap.  It worked really well.  :)  I took our bucket of ashes/soot from pellet stove and scattered them carefully on the tracks coming up the steep [and LEAST sunny part of the driveway.  The dark color helps to melt the packed, SLICK snow.  Then I hauled plastic sled up behind house and filled it with rock and grit from the hillside.  It's the nearest place that melts and thaws so the grit is not frozen/locked in.  Then I let it do a controlled slide down to the driveway again.  Sling by shovels-full onto the other parts of driveway/parking area.  Will do that more times to keep it melting.....over and over and over and ....until May 2020.  :0327:   But I didn't do any maneuvers that strained the wrist.....and I didn't slip/fall.  :amen:  

Duck water and dog walk were uneventful.  It was SO STILL tonite.  I love walking in that stillness.  Just the skritnch, skritnch of my boots on packed snow.  And dog padding alongside or in the deep snow.  :happy0203:  

Goodness....Annarchy sick too.  :(    Well don't drive back till you feel up to that long trip!  :hug3:   [edit to add:  Oh, you're home already then?] 

And yes, Ambergris....how are you doing post surgery?????  Rehab???  :pray: 

MtRider  ...everyone start taking whatever works for you to WARD OFF whatever seems to be goin' around!!  Whew!  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
On 11/29/2019 at 9:38 PM, Littlesister said:

something that will break up that flim in his throat.

If you have a Mennonite store (or a health food store or ???) that carries Mullein Leaf...it's a wonderful mucus reliever.  Also, there's an herbal tea called "Throat Coat" (?) and it's also very good.  I keep the Mullein stocked as well as the Throat Coat.  We haven't needed any of it since we started the Elderberry syrup every morning as well as sniffing the fumes from our bottle of Oregano essential oil.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

any timeline

Not really, but he's finishing up the sheetrock and will start working on the plumbing tomorrow.  It's slow because it's only him doing all the work.  Hanging the sheetrock was the last really big stuff, but the sub flooring and new vinyl will also have to be done.  We're not doing any wainscoating or etc., just texturing the walls with satin paint.  There's not very much actual wall space so this will be quicker and cheaper...and since it's only us I can just wash it down if need be.  One partial wall will be mirror tile and we'll put that "sticky" type glass backboard above the vanity.  Hoping we'll be ready to move our bed etc., in January.  But...I'm at the point now where I make no predictions! 

• Like 3

Still sick. Whatever it is is hanging on. But so am i. :D

The worst is the nausea, vomiting and the chills. No fever and no more diarrhea or headache. I'm not achy. Son said it's going around. I'm pushing fluids. And soup. Also plenty of rest. Will catch up with y'all later. 

• Like 2

I think I'm finally over the hump. I thought that a couple of days ago though. It lets you get a little better then it just stops. It really hangs on. I was going to call the doctor today but I am feeling better. I can see where seniors are effected differently. I can also see how they can die from the flu. Especially shut-ins. I'm pretty sure it wasn't food poisoning. I thought I was going to get diarrhea but it was a false alarm. It was some sort of viral junk. I don't know if it was the flu or not. I hear there is a nasty virus going around. Son and his family got it but it only lasted 24 hours for each of them. Nothing I had here helped. And I have a pretty good arsenal for a lay person. Both OTC and Rx. Only thing that eased it was liquids, an empty stomach, heating pad and rest.

It was mostly stomach and shivering chills. No intestinal, fever or respiratory issues. The first day or two I had a headache and backache but that's pretty normal for me most times. I'm glad I have a pretty good immune system normally because I would have probably ended up in the hospital for IV liquids and IV meds. I was keeping a good eye on myself. And I was going to call the doctor today if I wasn't feeling any better or worse. Of course I always have to get sick right before a weekend or holiday when offices are closed. Other than some nausea and sore stomach, I feel half human again.

Thanks for the well wishes and keep that immune system built up! You don't want this.

• Like 3

You are so right, Jeepers, “You don’t want this”. 

Mine started in my nose, decided to move along into my lungs and turn a vibrant shade of green, with every bone in my body screaming at me, even my eyeballs ache.  Lol.  Trying to keep the fever in check. Doc got me in around 3 today & DH tomorrow.  He’s beginning to catch it too.  :shakinghead:  Now, I’m trying to move and get my work done, to keep my mind off of it.  

Beautiful crisp morning here.  In the 40’s and warming up.  It’s beginning to cloud up with a thin layer of grey.

Laundry, from our trip is cooking, and I’m getting ready to do the month end paperwork and bookkeeping.

• Sad 3

:pray: for Jeepers finishing this thing.....and Annarchy + Mr. A  getting thru it.  Yuk! 

I'm doing a bit of preventative just cuz people move all over during the holidays and stuff spreads even internationally.  I'm certainly not out much but DH is more. 

My wrist/hand continues to improve....[my brain: not so much.  I'm typing over and over to hit the right keys!]  .....and typing a bit doesn't hurt today.  It's been WARM....59* in the sunshine today.  Still completely covered with snow.  A few melted patches beginning to show.  Even road is still mostly covered so I get Koa and I well OFF the road when vehicle drives by.  All have been going slow in past few days.  Haven't seen Mr. Speeding Red Pickup.  <_<  

MtRider  .....a round of warm chicken soup for everyone!!   [except DH who's allergic so.....turkey optional]  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:yum3:  Awwwww, thank you, Mt_R, for the chicken soup.  I made a big pot of old fashioned chicken soup last night, with celery and carrots freshly pulled from the garden, it was nice and comforting.  

Doc said no strep, but, called in a prescription, however, the pharmacy texted a “delay due to the insurance company “.  :scratchhead:  I have no idea why, I need to call and find out.  Hopefully, they will get it done by the time we go to get DH’s & I can get some supplies we need at the same time.

Managed to get most of the laundry done, paid bills and added things to the shopping list. Tried to start the monthly book work, then, ran out of time.  I functioned on autopilot most of the day.  Today, my head isn’t as befuddled as yesterday, God willing I can get some things accomplished that were postponed.

42*, mostly clear skies, clouds around the mountains are pink/red, indicating possible weather change.  DH said we might get rain tomorrow... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 12/2/2019 at 12:18 AM, Jeepers said:

nausea

If you can, buy some motion sickness chewables...they really work!  I buy the generic brand from a local pharmacy and get 100 tabs (?) for less than 10$.  Keeping it stocked even though we've only needed it a couple of times.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I jarred up 9 pints of baked beans with ham.  We enjoy it as a side dish, but in a difficult time we could each have a pint for a meal...beans, molasses, onions, ham, tomato sauce, honey & a bit of sugar and distilled water.  Pretty nourishing.  Got them washed, dried and labeled this morning. Then dropped some laundry in the dryer, had a bite of lunch, then did some Mennonite shopping.  Needed some more Tattler lids and jars as well as more Echinacea caps.  Also picked up some additional "Montana" steak seasoning (love that stuff!), some knock off of Mrs. Dash and a small bowl of poppy seeds.  Also picked up a couple more pints of local honey.  Hubby will resume work on the bathroom project tomorrow.  Going to run some plumbing to the shower head/faucet assembly.  He won't rock over that outer part of the shower until he's sure there's no leaking etc.  Today was a beautiful day so we made the choice to get the shopping done today...and then the weather won't make a difference...although it's supposed to be very nice this whole week.  Well, some "red head" (Abby-girl) is sitting at my feet yawning with a bit of a wimper...that says "it's time for my minty" chew! LOL  Later friends!

102_1238 Baked Beans and Ham.jpg

• Like 2