MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

:yum3:  WE2!!!

We had a nice sunny warm day.  Did a little outside besides ducks and dog walk.  Collected a bunch of long, dead sticks or saplings.  Stuck them into snow drifts to mark where things are.  If we don't get more melting, new snowplow guy needs to know where he is.  Such nice evenings...even if it's 4:30pm.  Koa and I played a short round of "Calvin and Hobbs" on the packed snow.  Take an empty soda bottle and ....keep-away.  She has 4 feet and mouth.  I have two feet.  Sometimes she jumps with both front feet on the bottle and  S L I D E S  across the slick surface.  She's still on retractable leash but it's fun in our small, snow-pack arena.  A.K.A. our parking area.  She used to be able to play this for 20 minutes or more.  Now we're both DONE in much shorter than that.  :faint3:  We have fun tho.  Unlike ice, we can keep our grip with our feet on the packed snow...yet still slide. 

DH done with work this week as of tonite.  Next week only 3 days....easier.  Tomorrow we hope to use the last sunny day and get into town.  With my mom to get groceries again?  Dunno. 

MtRider  ...need to take time ...energy and finish putting all the things into reorganized BOB. 

• Like 3

Thawing 5 pounds of figs tonight to make fig butter in the morning in the crockpot.  Also, making Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo tomorrow.  Have been cleaning and re-arranging living room today and cleaning baths and doing laundry.

Dh's friend that came and stayed a couple of weeks about a year and a half ago is coming back through and may stay a couple of months this time at the Elderberry Acre B & B.  LOL  He and his service dog should be here Friday or Saturday.  

• Like 3

We's2 those jars of baked beans and ham looks good. I can't do the ham due to DH salt restriction. 

Glad to see some of you are getting better.  Though Annarchy, please take care of that cold and hope it is not the flu. :pray:  

We spent the whole morning in dermatolaist office.  DH had that skin cancer removed from his cheek. So now the healing begings. They got a clean marker. So that was good. No going back to redo it. 

Was going to get the Christmas tree out of shed, but it is really cold with a wind gust. it will be closer to 60 tomorrow, so will do it then. Granddaughter came in from Maryland on a surprise visit since she could not be here for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. She decided to get me out of house for about an  hour.  So we went to fireflies and Dotson gift shops which are just down the road. We always liked to go look around at all the neat stuff they have there but Dotson is very expensive. But was fun just looking around and getting out for a bit.  I really don't like leaving DH for to long as his balance is getting worse. 

Daughter and I are going Christmas shopping for the day on Monday and my grandson is going to stay with DH for the day. He did that last year and the two of them had a really good time. Though I will need to either make some type of snacks or buy something that grandson likes. Grandson is going to go buy chick fil lay for their lunch on that day. DH can have that as they will fix him up without all that salt. They will even fix him fries and not put salt on them. It is nice that chick fil lay will do that for him. Not many places that are fast food will. 

• Like 4

We had doc appts this morning, mine at 8:30 and DH at different doc-copd- at 11.  Had to stop at Walmart for file folders for next year's eBay and get goat feed.  Also, a couple other stops and I'm tired!

Tomorrow is Banana Bread day which is tiring but fun too!  Been making them for over 40 years now.  Sometimes 20-30 and sometimes over 50.

• Like 4

DDIL took me to one doctor after another today.  One of them, we just waited in the waiting room until I ran out of time and had to leave for my next appointment.  I made them sign a paper saying I had been there--otherwise, the insurance company will charge me for no-show! 

It's going to be at least six more months before I can drive again.  I'm supposed to go back to work full time on Monday, but I have said that before...  When I am working, it's at less than half speed--this means I have to redo (actually, pre-do) everything on my own time at home to keep from falling even further behind.

I seem to be stalled out on a few different roads here.  It's like I have a lesson to learn, or maybe more than one of them, and I can't make any headway until I learn it (or them).

• Sad 5

Ambergris, take care. I’m sorry you have to return so soon. God willing, you will do fine.  :pray:

Miki, mmmmmmm...banana bread, tasty...  :cloud9:

Littlesister, it is acute bronchitis. Just got a call from, they who gave it to us, 2 month old baby, was hospitalized for bronchitis and he tested positive for rhino virus. Really!!!  Sigh.  God willing MIL won’t/didn’t get it.  We are barely starting to feel better.  It’s been tough.  Trying to keep from overdoing it.  But, stuff needs to be done.

Processed 5 lbs of tomatillos, into enchilada sauce... and canned it.  Still have 10 lbs. of tomatillos and another 5 lbs. on the vines.  Thank God, a friend of DH, is going to get a bunch, because he wants to make his own salsa.  Hahaha, what he doesn’t know, is how much I’m gonna give him. :008Laughing:

Trying to not over do it and relapse.... this crud is a bear....

• Sad 5
2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

It's going to be at least six more months before I can drive again

Wow.....this whole disability thing is very tough when you've got a FULL-TIME LIFE going on!  :( 

My full-time life stopped ages ago so it hasn't been an issue for me for a long time. 

I've forgotten what you had done to your shoulder...have recollection of pics of shoulder muscles.   :scratchhead:  Brainless, I am.   If DH has surgery to reattach torn rotator cuff ligaments....will he be unable to drive for.....a long time?  

:o   if so.....we're in BIG trouble!  We have NO drivers....  :0327:   That thot had not occurred to me until I read your  mention of not driving.  We thot about him being out of work....the slow season, fortunately.  But no driving.....  :runcirclsmiley2:

MtRider  ...oh good grief! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 2

Ughhhh,...went and paid RE taxes and Personal Property taxes and got our girl's new city tags.  Still have to pay for the Roost property...so we'll have to pay a late fee. Just didn't have enough this month.  After doing that we added additional stuffing to Abby-girl's new fluffy (the topper we put on her youth mattress in winter time).  She absolutely LOVES it!  They were on sale at Menards but just didn't have enough stuffing...so we added more!  Hasn't hardly been out of it today! LOL

Hubby got all the sheet rock up that he can for the time being.  Tomorrow he'll work on re-plumbing the basement/celler area (it's a mess) to run into the new bathroom as well as where the washer and dryer are in the "mud room". 

Tomorrow night we'll be going to the Christmas Parade and hanging out with a friend inside her store...we'll watch it from there so we can duck in and get warm if we need to.  I'll fill a thermos with hot chocolate and take a couple of cups to help keep us warm. 

I found a wonderful recipe for making out own hot chocolate mix...from a youtuber (Little Village Homestead?)!  I add a pinch of instant coffee to mine (hubby won't drink coffee or tea) which makes it even more wonderful. 

Hey Jeepers...I put a new pic of our girl up...but here's another one just in case! LOL How do ya like the butterflies!

12-5-19 Abby's new bed.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
added a paragraph
  • Like 5

In more cheerful news....  :santa:  delivered our Christmas gift for ourselves.  Decided to invest in a Instant Pot.  DH tried it out today.  Threw in this and that....a little wait....and we ate a wonderful chili.  :cook:  

He was a bit dubious....having not really heard of them.  I've been hearing from y'all this past year.  I think he's going to like it.  I have to figure it out too.....appears to be pretty much 'push a button'.  We made our rice on the side with our rice cooker.....chili and rice, of course. 

MtRider  :yum3:  I even bought it cheaper on Cyber Monday! 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

I think he's going to like it.  I have to figure it out too.....appears to be pretty much 'push a button

It will spoil both of you!  I have a large one and a small one and you just can't imagine how wonderful they are for a quick meal...especially if you've forgotten to lay out any meat!  Also...our Air Fryer is another luxury!  Enjoy!!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really love my instapot. It fast cooks cabbage and potatoes for a meal that used to take a couple of hours. I also cook my chicken breasts when I can them up in soups and pre-cook my dried beans for about 15 minutes before I can them. 

I'm so much better. That creeping crud lasted over a week. I did have a set back a couple of days ago. It's a long story. I typed it out in a post and my battery died half way through it and so I lost it. :gaah:

Very long story short...my car battery was almost dead. Barely cranking. I drove to the battery place and they had one battery that would fit my Jeep but no one to install it. Finally the manager came out and put it in for me. Whew! But they couldn't fix my turn signal light. No problem. I was just glad for the battery.

So I drove over to Wal-Mart for the light signal change. Another long story. No tech on duty to install it. I decided to do my grocery shopping while I was there. I started feeling bad and grabbed a juice thinking it was blood sugar drop. It wasn't. A normal person would have checked out and gone home. I persevered. I made it to the checkout and was struggling to get my cart unloaded. Another long story...the guy behind me helped me unload it.  

I got to the car and sat there finishing my juice and felt better. This is where a normal person would have been grateful and got home. But, we are talking about me. On the way home I passed by an Olive Garden. Sigh. Zuppa Toscana was calling my name. Loudly. Another long story...when my 'to-go' was ready I started walking out and just about passed out. Gathered a crowd, people offered help, I didn't hit the ground and got out of there. 

Now I'm fine but I need to start listening to my body and stop pushing myself. Especially in public. I also learned there are still some nice people out there willing to help.

Having said all of that, the next day after reflecting on it, I put myself in a very vulnerable position twice in one evening. At Wal-Mart and Olive Garden. I need to wise up especially this time of year. 

Still didn't that @#$% signal fixed. But I did try...twice. I miss Sears auto and Lube Stop. :(

• Sad 5

Aw Jeepers!  :hug3:   

But I think your After-Assessment is correct.  You can't put yourself in that position....esp. when you're driving.  When you see the STOP sign...even in the distance...  :shrug:    Don't think I'm being heartless and bossy.  I have already gone thru this phase....20+ years ago.  It's Super-HARD!  You have to redefine how you're interpreting body signals.  But...but I usta coulda done 3 more things....   :sigh:   Yeah....stinks, don't it?  Glad you got to the battery place and installed before it stranded you somewhere!!!  

We're having another sunny day....little more melting.  Not much cuz it's still not that warm.  DH is trying to get laundry caught up.  I get to go fold/put away.

MtRider  :wave: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, sounds like you tried to do to much at one time. That was a bad situation. Take care and if need be get that checked out if it happens again. That was not normal from a virus like you had.  Please be careful. 

I got all our Christmas decorations out today and got tree up. I over did it as my neck is killing me tonight. Took some aleve, so hoping that will kick in soon.  That plate in neck needs to be x-rayed again to make sure nothing has gotten out of wack. Might have to have it stretched again to realine it.  DH can not help me for a few days as he had that basal cell removed and is not allowed to bend over and must sleep with head elevated for 72 hours.  Then the bandage comes off and just wash it up with a mild soap like baby shampoo. Then leave it uncovered to heal.  He has had a hard time walking as his legs are getting worse. I am thinking of investing in a walker to help him get out of chairs. He can hold on to that and pull himself up. I had to pull him up this morning as he could barely stand. But once I got him on his feet he started standing ok.  Being a care giver is a hard job. But we have been down that road many times and we will get through this also. I think his back is getting worse.  Arthritis can be a bumber. 

I also have made good use of cyber monday. Got a few Christmas gifts and today Wayfair had a great sell and my kitchen light over sink died. It was those tube type bulbs and I thought the balis was bad but the whole think is bad. That light is 50 years old. So doesn't surprise me.  I got a pendant light to go up there over ketchen sink.. it was regular $795.00 and I got it for $58.00. That was a steal.  It was on their clearence sale. So that is my Christmas gift to me. What can I say, I needed it anyway. 

Yes, those instapots are great. Mine says I can make jams and can them. Haven't tried making jams in the instapot yet but might next year give it a try. Will have to pull out my instapot instructions on how to do it that way. Would be interesting. 

• Like 6

I don't think you are being bossy at all! You are correct. Part of the problem is I'm fine when I'm sitting down. Upright has been my issue. Well, that and living like I'm still 30. Or 40. Or 50. Yeah, just pick up a couple more things. And stop off there. And pick up that. It's hard to admit defeat. But reality is setting in fast. 

As the Stones sang "What a drag it is getting old".  :band:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ok, got a 15.2 lb turkey for .68 cents/lb.   I’m using your recipe Midnightmom...

Here's a recipe for cooking a turkey in TWO HOURS

However, 35 minutes in, my thermometer says the bone is 160* already!  Turned down the temp from 475 to 350*.  Making old fashioned traditional stuffing from scratch, home made bread, herbs from the garden...  DH is apprehensive. I added 1” of water & it now has 2”. Didn’t need that much juice.  

• Like 1

Moved my thermometer, from the breast, into the thigh, it’s dropping. Still don’t like all the liquid.  

Removed 6 cups of broth, stuck the thermometer into all the thick areas, nothing under 160*?  Left 1/4” water in the pan, an old fashioned ceramic coated turkey roaster, my mom gave to me. 

DH said I had to take my thermometer out because, it heats up, causing a false reading.  Ok....

I will use the broth, for the stuffing, and freeze the rest so I can can it.  

Frying the liver in the butter, I’ll use the remaining butter for the onions, fresh sage & celery sauté to prep the stuffing.  DH said his Gramdmother used to do it that way. 

oh, the pop up gauge, that came with it hasn’t popped up yet.  Maybe he was right.  :whistling:

Just a side note, MIL dislikes turkey, we never make it for her.  Me?  I can guarantee, I will pass out within an half an hour after eating it.  :008Laughing:

Anyway, bumped the heat up to 450*, to crisp the lower area that was sodden in broth...

And I put my thermometer next to the pop up... yeah, too late, 190*. Ack...pulled it up a fraction & it unstuck and popped up.  Sigh. Hopefully it isn’t too done & dry.  

I don’t cook turkey very often, this is the first time in over 10 years.  :sigh:

Here it is fresh out of the oven... no temp under170*. Sigh.

BA760CEE-C37B-46C3-8DC6-C3667BAE1FF1.jpeg

I tucked the legs down so I didn’t need to use aluminum foil. It worked great.  DH had a taste, he likes it..  :amen:

And... stuffing..  maybe enough for leftovers.  Lol.

C02B4645-0FE8-423B-A88B-E4C74CF39932.jpeg

Turned out to have 8 cups of broth.  De-boned it, thighs tonight, breasts for micro thin sliced turkey sandwiches, bones & broth for canned turkey bone broth, maybe Monday or Tuesday.  If I have enough jars & lids.  

Done, snacked, as I de-boned it.....dishes are done....  sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...:offtobed:

WE2, you can re-use tattler lids?  Is it safe to re-use them?

• Like 2
On 12/5/2019 at 6:24 PM, Littlesister said:

snapshot, do you freeze your banana bread. I haven't made any in a long time but it was only one or two loaves.  They would make great Christmas gifts. Especially for neighbors.

Yes, definitely!  Have opened one in July before and it was great!  I just wrap it really well in plastic wrap, then foil and then bag it.

• Like 2

Shoulder is rotator cuff and bone spurs.  Prepare for NO USE of that arm for three weeks, very limited use for six weeks post surgery, and limits for three months post surgery.  

I can't drive because I'm having "seizures," which is what they are calling my blank spots.  I figured out I was having them when a sign down the block suddenly jumped up into my face.  I stopped driving and contacted a doctor, and three weeks later was told to -- gasp! stop driving!  Like I hadn't had the sense to already do that.  But I can't legally drive until six months after the "last seizure."  So far, the last one is Wednesday.  That neurologist increased his medication dosage on Thursday, which might have a cascade effect on other medication.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 5

Ambergris, Please be careful with that arm and I pray:pray: you don't have anymore seizures. Taking meds can be bad. I think a lot of DH's issues is the Eliquis blood thinner he is on.  I did the research and he has almost every side effect and then some. Just have to get him through this weeks line up of doctors and then off to heart doctor to get him off it. He can't just up and stop this one.  My gut feeling says I am right about this and I have everything to carry to doctor with me to prove it. So I might have to pay upwards of 600 to 800 dollars for 3 months supply of prodaxa, but so be it. He can't live like this because of these side effects. He is missurable. This might be the cause of his shortness of breath as well instead of conj. heart failure. That is one of the side effects. Please just keep him in prayer that we will get it figured out and on the right track to recovery. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Thank you.

I assume you have done everything including requesting e-coupons for Prodaxa? Sometimes when the insurance company chokes, you can get these amazing e-coupons that bring your first three months down to ten bucks so they can get you on the hook.  Then you find some other deal, hopefully, for the next three months.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Shoulder is rotator cuff and bone spurs.  Prepare for NO USE of that arm for three weeks, very limited use for six weeks post surgery, and limits for three months post surgery.  

I can't drive because I'm having "seizures,"

Aaah....thank you!  I forgot your no-driving-for-seizures...   I thot I remembered that yours was rotator cuff too.  Guess we're going to get a whole new education, huh?  :yar:  Where does REHAB come in that line-up?  I can't drive him to rehab. 

This whole discovery of his long-ago injury is throwing us a bit.  Would have been MUCH BETTER to have had surgery when he was 18 yrs YOUNGER!    But then, how does a chiro take that many weeks off?  [.....no adjustments for me for a while either....owww]  At least now, he's down to the slow season with the restaurant.  But they love the fact that he actually shows up to work....on time....does work.  Apparently that's pretty special to find folks who do that!  Crazy.  If he can get surgery in early January....he might be able to do Host position instead of serving after first several weeks.  He knows how to carry two plates in his other hand???  But he should be ok by summer when they reallly get busy???? 

MEANWHILE.....HE CAN'T FALL ON THIS ICE we have now.....  :imoksmiley:  I've been slinging all the sand I can get loose from frozen-blob.  Cover the ice.  Even used some partially composted duck-house straw tonite.  TREACHEROUS here! 

And who is going to do all the snow shoveling....clearing porch/15 steps/ under porch/vehicles/ duck path/  etc.....   :0327: 

MtRider  :pray: 

• Sad 4
On 12/7/2019 at 5:37 PM, Annarchy said:

WE2, you can re-use tattler lids?  Is it safe to re-use them?

Yes, that's the beauty of them!  Even if one doesn't seal, you can give it a good wash, heat it back up and re-use it on the jar that didn't seal...if you have another canner load.  I've even vacuum sealed some of my bouillion cubes in jars using Tattlers.  It's a learning curve but love 'em.  I have a lot of metal ones that I need to use up, and will for short term use.  I've found they oxadyze very badly, Tattler's don't ... and Tattler's don't rust.  Just read the box and follow it faithfully.  The ones I use...I boil the lids with gaskets in place.  When the jar rim is cleaned, I place the lid & gasket on the jar evening, set the ring in place, put my left forefinger on top of the lid and hold it firmly down, turn the ring with my right fingers "finger" tight and into the pressure canner it goes.  When the canner is done, I remove them with oven gloves and tighten the rings down immediately as I lift them out of the canner.  Tighten them really good!  At least that's how it works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1