MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I can't get any help clearing out the barn, which is what I scheduled annual leave yesterday and today to do--scheduled it back in August.  Final exams are over, so DS1 has time.  Only he's tied up in something.  DS2 is working double shifts.  DDIL is out of state.  

• Sad 3

I got most of the stakes for the snow plow guy out in last night. I couldn't get one of them in because the ground was frozen already. It's 40 degrees today and I don't think we have been below freezing this winter yet. Oh well, there is enough of them out there. 

The stick's are painted wood. About as big around as a pencil. I've had them about 7 years or more so they are pretty shot. A couple of hours after I came inside I noticed my hands hurting. Long story short, I have a bunch of little microscopic wood slivers in my hands from those sticks. Mostly my fingers. I had to push hard on them to get them in the ground. It would be like grabbing a hold of a house cactus with those tiny hair like stickers. It didn't hurt going in. I never even noticed. They are killing me now though. I tried using some scotch tape on my fingers. It didn't pull them out and made it hurt worse. I'm hoping they work themselves out in a couple of days. 

This will be the last year for those stakes. Next year I'm getting the plastic ones. They are more expensive, actually more than they are worth IMO but since I need new ones any way, I'm going plastic. :pout:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

The beau came over and helped me fill one bag.

The barn was always something that someone was going to come clear for his business or his hobby, because the prior owner had been building or customizing RVs in it and had left lots of parts, tools and materials that I simply can't use.  One person after another never showed up, so it's time to just trashcan all these hubcaps, specialty mirrors, V-belts, dog-leg wrenches, tubes, opened cans and bottles of various liquids and goops, paint brushes, straps, now-rusty fasteners, and so on.

• Like 1

Ambergris.....Sheesh, you'd think someone would hustle over for those tools, at least.  :shrug:    Good luck. 

Jeepers:  there are articles about getting the tiny hairs of cacti out....might be similar?  :shrug:   ....OW! 

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Cactus-Needles

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/duct-tape-remove-cactus-spines-74956.html

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090816022900AA77lEv

this one says:  Raw bacon and a band aid to remove wood slivers.   :scratchhead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/14ovnt/lpt_request_how_to_remove_cacti_hairs_from_skin/

MtRider  ...good luck

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 1

Waiting to see why my mom was at the ER today.  We went to eat and thrift store yesterday.  But her blood levels have been going up and down.  She gets an INR test regularly....cuz she's on a blood thinner.  For years it's been steady.  Recently, they can't get it back to steady.  So she had a full blood draw yesterday before we went out to play. 

Today she's in ER.....likely for some test related to this?????  I hope ...and ER could not tell DH more than that she is there and going home soon and they'll tell them/her to call us.   I haven't heard yet. 

They were MIA....and my dad didn't have his cell phone on.  Mebbe can't in ER.  My niece was trying to reach them and finally called here.  Fortunately I went down to do duck and dog so DH was at the house to answer her call.  He was doing the laundry up and down stairs. 

I hope they're home now.....cuz he can't see to drive after dark.  :o   But they'll have to call EVERYONE now....cuz we all know and are wondering....  

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Been another day of doctors. Took DH to heart doctor today. He changed a medication and said to fill a 2 liter coke bottle up with water and put in fridge. DH is to drink that much a day. He is also deydrated which is what I was thinking on top of all the other problems. So if he has a cup of coffee, he is to pour water from the bottle into cup and then pour that out and have his coffee. This way he knows how much he is drinking. So 2 liters of water or other liquid like tea or coffee per day. This will get his kidneys funtioning again and take care of the deydration. Yesterday he saw his doctor for asthma, His pulmonary funtions were way down. So he is on a steroid that does not cause fluid retention like predisone and another antibotic for 20 days for this one for the sinus infection. He seems to be feeling a bit better right now but his B/P was very low at 80/56. So redid his blood pressure meds as well. Hoping we are now going to get this under control. Cong. heart failure is nothing to play around with. Though he sees his primary care on Monday again and then the heart doctors nurse on Tuesday. If things are not improved then the heart doctor will be talking with us again. Then on the 6th of Jan. he goes in to hosp. to have a barron swallow test. He gets choked very easy these days. From that they might be stretching his throat. This has been a long 2 months and I am no where near ready for Christmas and its coming fast. So am going to try to get daughter to help out somewhere between work and college. 

Did a bit of cleaning and stripped bed to wash sheets before leaving for doctor this morning. Though I woke up with a low grade fever and stuffy head. Took care of that and now I feel better but tired.  Took a one hour nap this afternoon when I should have been getting things together for Christmas.  Next year I am not going to decorate 2 rooms.  Tree in Living room and that's it. We have already downsized the big 7 ft. tree to a 4 1/2 foot tree.  Washing everything down in lysol and spraying house with it as well. Can't afford to get sick now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I got most of the stakes for the snow plow guy out in last night. I couldn't get one of them in because the ground was frozen already. It's 40 degrees today and I don't think we have been below freezing this winter yet. Oh well, there is enough of them out there. 

The stick's are painted wood. About as big around as a pencil. I've had them about 7 years or more so they are pretty shot. A couple of hours after I came inside I noticed my hands hurting. Long story short, I have a bunch of little microscopic wood slivers in my hands from those sticks. Mostly my fingers. I had to push hard on them to get them in the ground. It would be like grabbing a hold of a house cactus with those tiny hair like stickers. It didn't hurt going in. I never even noticed. They are killing me now though. I tried using some scotch tape on my fingers. It didn't pull them out and made it hurt worse. I'm hoping they work themselves out in a couple of days. 

This will be the last year for those stakes. Next year I'm getting the plastic ones. They are more expensive, actually more than they are worth IMO but since I need new ones any way, I'm going plastic. :pout:

Is drawing salve still available to buy?   We used to have some stuff that was black or brown and smelled awful but worked well.   I have no idea what it's really called, though. 

• Like 2

Eight times in random succession...boom, boom, boom!  Not a transformer.  Sounded like big firearm.  We made sure doors were all locked, got away from windows and called police.  They said they had received 3 other calls and were on their way to investigate.  All seems to be quite now but we're still "prepared" to defend our home if necessary.  Hopefully other neighbors are safe in their homes and that the police can find out who's doing what!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Tell me how faithful our God is!  Hubby took scrap metal to recyclers and they showed him his drivers license was expired by 3 days!  So...he came and got me, I used my ID to get our cash...straight to the license bureau to renew.  No penalty...but God saw the need and he had the money to pay for his renewal!  We've not been this broke since we got married!  We're not poor...just broke...and only temporary! :cele:

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Took a one hour nap this afternoon when I should have been getting things together for Christmas

Ach, Lil' Sister.  That hour nap would be THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for you to do.  If you get sick with one of these nasty bugs going 'round.....your dh and your Christmas plans will be in a LOT WORSE SHAPE.   Staying healthy is your number one goal for your Christmas!!!  Please DO take the time to rest.  Care-taking is exhausting!  I see my mom getting so very weary too from my dad.  :(   Downsizing from previous traditions is necessary for all of us.  Let your young folks know that this is a strain this year due to your dh being so ill.  That is when family needs to pull together.  :grouphug:    Take Vit C or oranges or anything else you'd take to ward off illness before it gets you.  You know with drill with hand-washing...cuz you worked in doc office, didn't you?  I'm increasing all that too...cannot get sick right now:pray:  

MtRider .....stewing about our family issues today toooooo!  :pray: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh good grief, WE2s.........  :behindsofa:    ........did you find out what was going on???????  :pray:   God keep WE2 safe and their neighborhood!

:amen:  about the Driver's license.  Such a pain to forget that sort of thing.  A friend of mine long ago was teaching a class to early teens on being adults.   So he was explaining about driver's license and passed his around for them to see one.  One bright student asked what this date meant....  and read a date more than a year earlier:o   J grabbed his license to look at it.....he forgot to renew!   Students got a lesson that day and J quickly got in to renew it!  

MtRider  .....God's getting you both thru all this....step by step....  Let us know about BoomBoomBooom!  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

OK.....my mom is home.  She is running too thin on her blood but hasn't been taking her blood thinner for a while now.  [I didn't know that part]  Cuz if you're on thinners, they keep checking that.  For years she was very steady and in the past year she gets steady and then it goes wacko again.  Right now it's really high numbers.... 

She had a blood draw yesterday....was called to come back in today to doctor office.  They took that result straight in to the doctor himself.  He sent her to ER to do a lab work-up....as I suspected.  But I was down with dog/ducks.  When niece called, DH didn't know/remember about her recent high numbers as the likely cause of them being in ER.  Well....no they didn't have a fall or anything else.  Still the same problem.  BUT....altho the ER said they'd tell them to call us....forgot?  Either ER forgot or my folks forgot ....didn't process...??  So we didn't get a call.....  They were trying to get a pizza delivered cuz they were starving! 

I called my mom and she was so surprised that we ALL know about the ER.......  :shrug:  Well, we're trying to keep track of these elders!!  :rolleyes:  Still don't know what needs to happen to bring thin blood back to normal.  All this whooha was very upsetting to my dad so he was all growls and snarls.  Fortunately, each has their own space to retreat in peace and he was in his.  I got her laughing and a bit more at ease.  Still shocked that DH and I....and my brother and niece were concerned today.  This is not the end of this story....just the end of today's mystery.

Was typing email to niece when my brother called.  So we rehashed everything with him...and he'll tell his dd.  Got a chance to fill him in more than my mom could.   AND he hadn't heard about DH's upcoming shoulder surgery....which is going to cripple our ability to keep track of the folks...  But...God's got HIS plans too...and we're in them!  :amen:  

MtRider ....y'all be careful out there!  The microbes are lurking...  :hidingsmile:

• Like 1

Thank you for the links! I'm saving them. I do have glue. The scotch tape really hurt for some reason. They are so small I couldn't even see them with a magnifying glass. Drawing salve is no longer sold. It's called ithy-something. Coal tar? I needed some about a year ago and two pharmacies told me it was no longer on the market. I have about half a tube left and I'm guarding it like it was gold. 

Prayers for both of your parents Mt. RIder. Glad you finally heard something. Thankful it wasn't a fall or worse.  I

Oh my We2 that is scary. I know you'll stay safe. Keep us updated. I know the 'not poor, just broke' feeling. BTDT. Sometimes we just need a little time. 

Littlesister, I sure hope and pray they can get your husband's meds sorted out so he can feel better. Yep, time for the younger generation to step in and take over on the holidays. The stress just isn't worth it. As they say on an airplane, take care of yourself first so you can help others. Or something like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

OK.....my mom is home.  She is running too thin on her blood but hasn't been taking her blood thinner for a while now.  [I didn't know that part]  Cuz if you're on thinners, they keep checking that.  For years she was very steady and in the past year she gets steady and then it goes wacko again.  Right now it's really high numbers.... 

She had a blood draw yesterday....was called to come back in today to doctor office.  They took that result straight in to the doctor himself.  He sent her to ER to do a lab work-up....as I suspected.  But I was down with dog/ducks.  When niece called, DH didn't know/remember about her recent high numbers as the likely cause of them being in ER.  Well....no they didn't have a fall or anything else.  Still the same problem.  BUT....altho the ER said they'd tell them to call us....forgot?  Either ER forgot or my folks forgot ....didn't process...??  So we didn't get a call.....  They were trying to get a pizza delivered cuz they were starving! 

I called my mom and she was so surprised that we ALL know about the ER.......  :shrug:  Well, we're trying to keep track of these elders!!  :rolleyes:  Still don't know what needs to happen to bring thin blood back to normal.  All this whooha was very upsetting to my dad so he was all growls and snarls.  Fortunately, each has their own space to retreat in peace and he was in his.  I got her laughing and a bit more at ease.  Still shocked that DH and I....and my brother and niece were concerned today.  This is not the end of this story....just the end of today's mystery.

Was typing email to niece when my brother called.  So we rehashed everything with him...and he'll tell his dd.  Got a chance to fill him in more than my mom could.   AND he hadn't heard about DH's upcoming shoulder surgery....which is going to cripple our ability to keep track of the folks...  But...God's got HIS plans too...and we're in them!  :amen:  

MtRider ....y'all be careful out there!  The microbes are lurking...  :hidingsmile:

When your blood is to thin. If my memory servers me right, I believe it is Vit. K they give to help bring it back to normal limits.  That is why when you are on coumendin, you are not suppose to eat greens that contain a lot of Vit. K. it keeps the blood thinners from doing their jobs.  DH is on Eliquis and they don't check how thin your blood is getting. So I am going to talk with doctor about checking that next week.  And for those who didn't know, comadin contains rat poison. DH was on it before the news ones came out.  I used to tell the doctors that his rat poison needs adjusting and they would start laughing and say yes. his labs are off. So we are increasing it or decreasing it depending on what the labs said. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

I used to tell the doctors that his rat poison needs adjusting and they would start laughing and say yes. his labs are off. So we are increasing it or decreasing it depending on what the labs said. 

Warfarin ... originally developed at the University of Wisconsin. There's a huge building just outside the UW hospital called the WARF building (Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation). I enjoy testing the new doctor residents at the hospital about the building across the way. Almost NO ONE knows that the WARF building even exists let alone the history behind the drug that saved countless lives due to its blood thinning properties.   :hug3:  We just don't tell the rodents about how powerful it is in their food.   :whistling:

• Haha 4
16 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Is drawing salve still available to buy?   We used to have some stuff that was black or brown and smelled awful but worked well.   I have no idea what it's really called, though. 

Ichthammol.

Also try super-saturated salt water, either table salt or Epsom salt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Littlesister,  :pray:  for you and your DH.   

Mt Rider, :pray:  for your mom.

Amber,  are there people that go around in your area scrapping that would be willing to clean it out in exchange for being able to haul off the scrap?  (I have no idea what it's really called.  I guess "metal recycling"?)

That's what I would have done had I known nobody would show up before I started putting my stuff in there with it.  Now, I'd be in the position of saying "this but not that," and they'd be rolling eyes at me, and I don't think that would be the right way to go.

• Sad 1

Thank you all for the prayers for DH. He is still swollen but his kidney's seem to be working much better today. He is feeling better today as well. Still a long haul to get him streight be I pray we are at the beginning of getting him back under control.  I didn't have to hold on to him this morning to get him to the den. His B/P may have been the problem.  He was taking 2 blood pressure pills at night and one in the morning. So I change the one he was just taken at night and had him to start taking it in the morning. Seemed to make a big difference and his B/P was 100/ 64 when I checked it this morning. So much better on that.  The new fluid pill seems to working. :pray: that that will continue.

Mt. Rider :pray: going out for your mom that she is doing much better now. No one needs all these issues this time of year or any other time.  

Jeepers I hope you got all those splinters out. You don't want your fingers to fester up and then get an infection. Praying you got them all out.  Take care. 

Went to Walmart earlier today and that was a joke. I think the whole city was there. Took forever to get checked out. I washed my bathroom curtains and they are white with a green strip going across the bottom of the valance. So that decided to come loose in places. I thought that was sewn on but it is glued on. The curtains are very old, like 20 years maybe and still in good shape. So I went to walmart to buy some stitch witchery fusible bonding web to repair them.  Just trying to get to the sewing section in there was a hassel. To many people and the stock people had stuff stacked everywhere and no one putting it up. It just sit there for people to try to move around it to get to what they needed. Bumber. But then it is Walmart. Here we used to call it Wally world, now everyone calls it China town. Don't care for that place but to find what I needed in a fabric shop I would have to drive 40 miles to the only fabric shop we have left. Not worth the drive for one item. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the drawing salve info. I think a trip to Lehmans might be in my future soon. Between them and the health food stores down there maybe I can find something to store away. If not, good old Amazon to the rescue. Some of the splinters have disappeared and some haven't. They really hurt when touched. Tonight I'm going to soak my hands in Epsom Salt. I always have that on hand. No pun intended. Thanks for the tip Amber. I wouldn't have thought of it. Another reason I keep my tetanus shots up to date! The sticks have been in the dirty garage year after year. I suppose I should go ahead and buy the new plastic ones now before they ban plastic altogether.  :rolleyes:

That must have been a surprise to find your curtain glued. Sheesh. I try to avoid big box stores when everyone is off work. I'm always surprised by how crowded they are on the weekend. I try to go during the week and before 5:00pm or after 8:00pm. But sometimes you just need to go get something. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Downsizing from previous traditions is necessary for all of us

It's very difficult to "slow down" once you've been so active and faced pace for so long.  We're still trying to make our minds obey our bodies!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

did you find out what was going on

Haven't heard a thing.  We don't get the paper except what we can get online (very limited) but I haven't seen any police reports yet.  Should probably move the scanner from the homestead to here until we get moved.  Then we can monitor both properties.  It's such a pain listening to every little bit of communication, but I guess that's what they're for???

• Like 1