MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

5 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Can't talk sense to over-educated idiots.   :0327:

Amen.  It recently occurred to me just WHY the smartest folks I know have no college education....they didn't need to be taught how to think, they figured it out for themselves!  And common sense is not taught in a classroom.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Guest kadell said:

Many folks under 40 do not know the history of that.  I worked security there during the early 70s (they were afraid of it being bombed like the math center was by protestors).  My husband remembers that night they bombed the math center....blast knocked him off his feet 3 blocks away & blew all the windows out.  To think, the bomber now WORKS FOR THE STATE OF WISCONSIN (!)  Who would have thought it?  History is weird.

Wow.   :sigh:

It is windy and cold this week.  Don’t laugh, I know, I know, 40-50* is not cold to 99% of you, but, I’m used to 110*F 1/2 the year.  :grinning-smiley-044:  The wind is making it feel, bone chilling, to me.  DH said it’s in the 20’s at mom’s house.  I’ll definitely be bringing my drover, hats and gloves.  

Today, I need to make cinnamon rolls and personal Dutch apple pies.  Our neighbor texted me yesterday, asking if it was cinnamon time yet.  :008Laughing: When she had a medical emergency, we brought them a precooked food care package that included a couple frozen packages of the rolls.  Ever since, they always ask if I am making anymore.  Last year, I gave her my recipe, hoping they would make their own.  Danggit, that didn’t work.  Lol. It’s fine, that’s their Christmas present, plus between DH & MIL, 12 rolls disappear in just a couple of days.  :happy0203:  They are way too sweet for me.  Then, while the dough rises, I will package more rice with refries and bean soup.  We didn’t leave quite enough for mom, from the first batch, I made another batch last night, but we had some of that with cheese crisps.  Hopefully, there is enough to finish mom’s packages.  

Managed to cross several things off one list, completed another list & trashed it, and added more things to the “To Take” & “ToDo” lists.  

Time to get the rolls started.  Our house is going to smell like Christmas today. :happy0203:

• Like 5

Been a long day. Up at 5 am and off to Farmer's market to help DH cook collards. After we got them in the pot, I came home to work on getting things done for Christmas.  Grandson came over for a bit and helped me with some things.  He can be a big help when he wants to.  

Tomorrow I am off to church for the food ministry.  Will be there from 8 to 12.  It is going to be so cold tomorrow. I think they said 28 degrees but not sure of that. Will be watching the late news to find out. 

Thank you all for the prayers for DH. He is doing much better, but still has a long road ahead of him. He is working on getting his strengh back now.  At least he can now breath when he bends over to put shoes on. Loosing your breath like that is a very bad feeling. He has lost over 25 lbs in fluid. That is a lot of fluid to be carrying around.  Congestive heart failure is sometimes very hard to control and this was one of those times.  Just hope it stays under control now. 

You guys keep talking that 4 letter word.  SNOW.  Stay safe and no slipping and sliding. If you can, stay home and enjoy it. Just hope it doesn't get bad. 

Jeepers glad you got that turn signal fixed. I know that was a big load off your sholders

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 3

Made a thermos full of yogurt and it's wrapped and will be ready for the frig in the morning.  We really enjoy our homemade greek yogurt.  Also jarred up 12 half pints of butter.  Dried laundry at the homestead while hubby worked and grabbed a jar of beef chunks from 2013!  Hiding!  Anyway...we had beef chunks with noodles, alfredo sauce and some parm sprinkled on top.  Also got some Mung bean sprouts started so rinsed them out for the day (I rinse sprouts twice a day).  He You can't imagine what hubby found when trying to run "another" loose wire!  It ran up to the apartment area, down the inside of the living room wall (behind sheetrock!) to a receptacle that is under a window...in the livingroom!  Joy!  So now what?  We need that receptacle so he's got to figure out how to disconnect it from the loose one that's hanging, and connect it to a proper junction box.  What were these builders thinking and remodeling carpenters must have been off their gords!

100_1260 Beef & Noodles from 2013.jpg

100_1263 Butter 12-18-2019.jpg

100_1264 Mung Beans 12-18-19.jpg

• Like 2

Good Grief, WE2.  Your Mr is going to have to look at that wiring VERY carefully!  Awful skeery to find that stuff.  My brother is in construction and finds the weirdest things.....and dangerous!  He just shakes his head and wonders why the place never burned down!!  :(

Quiet day.... I haven't got good functioning today.  Did manage to wash/dry hair.  Always a project.  It's getting long again.  I've observed that now that I'm keeping it shorter --  it keeeeeps growing!  It won't stay put!  Hmph.  Used to just let it grow and not worry about it.  But shorter is EASIER to wash/dry!!!

Tomorrow we'll be 'in town' for DH's primary care doc - short appt.  And then pick up my mom for shopping....hers and ours.  ...I hope I'm able.  :shopping:  

We've gone deep into the subzero temps the past 2 nites but I think we'll stay above tonite.  Some place in the right middle of CO got down to MINUS 44 degrees last nite.  And it isn't even up in the nose-bleed town of Leadville.  It's in Badger Basin.  ??  Downstream of frigid air??? 

MtRider  :thumbs: for Jeepers turn signal! 

• Like 1

Jarred up another 12 half pints of butter.  Still have one more session to do...then it's back to turkeys!  Still have 5 of them (?) in the chest freezer at the homestead.

Hubby is taking extra caution now while working in the basement on the wiring issue.  The homestead was built in the early 1900's and probably had no (or very little) electricity...or plumbing.  Everything has been "added" on by various carpenters with (again) little to no skills.  He's using his tester to test each and every piece of wire he finds if it's "hot" he tries to run it down so he can disconnect it without calling a halt to his remodeling etc.  He'll get it done...and we'll be safe I'm sure!

• Like 3

Couldn't find my original post regarding the "gun shot" sounds we heard last week.  Haven't been able to find anything in the local paper...but...one of our local radio stations had a written report on their web page.  It appears that an "off duty" police officer called into the station saying he had heard sounds in his home and when he went down to investigate, there was an intruder, so he fired multiple shots".  He has "left the department amid an investigation that was unable to substantiate the officer's story".  The department apparently is still investigating potential wrong doing.  That's the ONLY thing we've been able to find to match what we were hearing.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Glad your Mr. is so knowledgeable in these things, WE2.  My brother is too and has been in some realllly old places out East.  Same thing...take it slow and check everything.  It's worth the effort cuz some of these old places are really so grand.  I don't mean in size.   Just very cool in history and character! 

Lil'Sister, still praying your Mr. gets better and better.  Dropping that excess water is great!  No wonder he's feeling provisionally better.  Meanwhile, keeping up your health....and look forward to a fun Christmas!

Annarchy, now you have me wishing that our counter top was not so cluttered!  All the stuff that can't be in the under-cabinets cuz of mice, are on all the counters!  Cuz DH can make the best cinnamon rolls.  UP here in high altitude, he gets them to raise so huge.  And they bake thoroughly all the way thru.  :yum3:   If he wasn't so exhausted, I'd try to shove all that in a box temporarily and let him have at it!  :cook:  And the smell.....  

Today, DH had appt. with his new primary.  We DO like her!  She talked him into some med changes.  Was a bit horrified with his family history....and his statement:  I've already outlived all the males in my family.    Her goal is that he outlive them by a couple more decades!  I CONCUR!!!  See...I like her!  But he's at risk on cholesterol, diabetes, etc....for heart attack.  She's won him over by simply being honest and informed....then informing him.  We'll see how the med changes work out in the months ahead.  He's quite compliant in things he agrees to.  Has good exercise.  But does not eat a diabetic diet....still holding out for the meds to counteract that habit for sweets.  Hmmmm.....  [me too but no one has ever said I have blood sugar problems.] :rolleyes: 

After that, we took my mom to eat....then to grocery.  The stores are so busy their disability scooters run out of power before I get thru the store.......chug, chug, chug,....back to the front.  Loaded up as the sun was setting....putting a golden-red glow on the opposite high ridge.  Sometimes the views here are breathtaking....when we remember to look and appreciate them.  :happy0203:  

MtRider  :shopping:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

Uncovered the garden today after 2 nights of hard frost.  My mature veggies can handle it but I was concerned about my newly sprouted beets, radishes, lettuce, etc and they did just fine all tucked in nicely. 

This weekend we are finishing out Christmas cookie baking.  Next week we deliver cookies & fresh green veggies to our special recipients.  One of our stores (the one in the poor part of town that charges only 10% over their cost) has a great sale on Libbys canned veggies (52 cents)....30 cents a can cheaper than wal-marts regular prices on their Libby's brand  (84 cents) !!!   M. does not like Great Value veggies (says the veg are older & tougher) so I am buying up as many as I can because prices around here ALWAYS go up in Jan.  Good time to restock the stores we have used up this last year.  Ditto with stocking up on certain meat specials (turkey & ham, for example).  Unfortunately some areas I can only shop in the daytime, while condomized, and this store is in one of those places.  Worth the extra trouble to save that much, though.  Money is tight, but I'm getting as much as I can...tactical shopping!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Glad everyone is doing well.

I finished up shopping for the year. It was a chore because my body starts to give out but I'm stopping when I start to feel weak. I wasn't doing mostly Christmas shopping but shopping for things for the Indy house. I'll probably head out Sunday and come back Thurs. or Fri. Definitely before New Years Eve!

I found a long tin box at the Dollar Tree to store my cheap reading glasses in. I don't need the glasses (I'm near sighted) but both son and DIL use them occasionally. So I'll have them on hand.

I dumped all my shopping stuff in the garage and now I have to bring it in. Ugh. Those cans are heavy. Some of the stuff is in packages so I have to get it in incase a mouse discovers it. I've never seen one out there but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm so tired though. I'm going to undump the garage and dump it on the kitchen floor until tomorrow.

• Like 5

I lost some weight while I was sick with that virus. While I was out and about today I kept stepping on the bottom part of my jeans. Not too unusual because I'm short and usually get 'average' length jeans because 'petit' length ride up when I sit down and look like waders. With the average length I can cuff them one turn and they are fine. Anyway, then I felt them sliding down. I felt like a rapper with my pants down around my hips with my drawers hanging out. Not a problem because my jacket is kind of long. But a couple of times I had that uh-oh feeling. When I got home, I was able to take my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping them. Not a fun way to lose weight but I'll bet I lost a good five pounds.

I still have some of those tiny hair like slivers in my hands. My thumb on the right hand and my pointer finger on the left hand. They are getting better though.

I finally got all the groceries carried in. My back is breaking so its off to the heating pad for me. I didn't realize it was this late. Might as well go on to bed. This day was a long one for me.  :offtobed:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I felt like a rapper with my pants down around my hips with my drawers hanging out.

I've felt like that before, too!  Hard being short sometimes!  Don't lose more weight if you can help it--stay well!

Thursday, took DH to Rheumatologist about 70 miles away. If VA approves it, they will do a newer infusion twice a year on him. Wait and see.

I don't recall if the last time I wrote, our flood insurance issue was resolved or not. This is what happened: After first visit to banker lady who is helping us, it was resolved and we received a letter saying that flood insurance was not required as the residence itself is not in a flood zone. A week later we received another letter acknowledging that they had sent us a letter but are now saying that flood insurance is required (again). Went back to bank and she called the mortgage company --again. They said they had to review info and would call back--never did. Yesterday, back to the bank and she called for us again and we were told that they had to review the info (again) and make a decision. Before we went to bank yesterday, I checked my loan info online and the mortgage company had force placed flood insurance complete with policy number. Our banker friend finally got someone in the loan dept. - instead of flood insurance- and we were told it should be resolved by the end of the year. Yikes! I know God is in control and am so thankful for our friend at the bank that originated our loan! Otherwise, I think we would have been bulldozed- so to speak! Still don't know the outcome but not worried.

In other news, DH's COPD is getting a little worse so we made the decision to re-home our 2 female pygmy goats back to the lady they came from so they will stay together. They are coming to get them Monday morning. It will help us financially and maybe let me get a little more rest!

Today, I have done my exercise video because of rain and will make Orange Fig Jam with more figs that I found in the freezer... and rest!

• Like 1

Miki, I can stand to lose more weight. I'm just hoping it wasn't water weight.

I know you have had an issue over that flood insurance. Even though you don't need it it's still a dark cloud that keeps hanging over your head. Just one more thing to think about. Sigh. Tell your banker you want a certified, notarized, certificate stating you do not need flood insurance at your address so you can frame it. Only slightly kidding. 

Hope  your DH get approved for his new arthritis treatment. I hate that insurance companies are a 'wrung up the medical ladder' from the doctors opinion. We sure pay them enough. Vets paid with their service and most out of their pocket too. Ugh, insurance. Sorry his COPD is worse. Was hopeful it at least was holding steady. 

Sorry the goats have to go. From your posts and Mt. Riders posts, I can see how animals can tax the human body and wallet. I think a dog and a couple of chickens would be all I could manage right now. Will you have any goats left?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

In other news, DH's COPD is getting a little worse so we made the decision to re-home our 2 female pygmy goats back to the lady they came from so they will stay together. They are coming to get them Monday morning. It will help us financially and maybe let me get a little more rest!

:hug3:   Yes, I certainly know this story.  It doesn't seem like THAT MUCH to keep critters....but it all adds up with time, energy, money.......compounded by WEATHER!  I loved my lil' goats and loved milking...having fresh milk, etc.  And duck eggs all these years.  But....this particular property makes EVERYthing more harsh/complicated/labor-intensive.  I'll never be sorry for this phase of life.  I still NEED to ride..ow!  I loved playing "Heidi" for those years.  :sigh:  But we're SO VERY THANKFUL to be reducing on THIS winter!

and...sorry your dh struggles with these health concerns.  Hope VA is taking good care with their choices.  AND WHAT?  The mortgage flood issue is not resolved?  :buttercup:   :pray:  Sheeesh!  

Not doing much today....tho it's time to walk dog.  She's been in town today.  DH had to return to pick up the new 'script...didn't have it on Thurs.  Pray this one works to bring down....whatever should not be nearly THAT :puzzledsmile:  high....  Forgot which one. 

MtRider  .....off to walk 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

MiKi,  praying your DH will get better soon. I know how hard it is to take care of the sick. My DH is doing a bit better, but still gets tired very easily.  He slept in this morning till 11 AM and still took a late afternoon nap. Hoping it will help him. 

I hope you can get your DH on the right track for his COPD and get him past it and on road to recovery.  

I have been cleaning all day. Had to run to store for some rye bread and then back home to finish cleaning.  Hoping we don't have to go out any more before Christmas. I am starting to feel a bit worn down myself. Church tomorrow and then home to get food together for Christmas. Will start getting what we can prepared on Monday and Tuesday. 

Mt. Rider, sorry to hear you are giving up your goats. I am sure it would be work in winter to take care of them more so than in summer. 

Hoping you do get the flood insurance thing straight soon.  We don't have it and don't need it where we are. But found out that our homeowners insurance no longer carries earthquake insurance on the policy. We had to fork out to get that sept. from the regular homehowners. That wasn't to bad for the price. And though we don't normally have earthquakes, the one in Northern VA shook the house,  raddled the dishes in china closet, and did some damage in other places around here. So decided we needed to have that one. 

• Like 3
On 12/19/2019 at 10:26 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Just very cool in history and character! 

We were sorting through (today) a bunch of "stuff" that had been stored in an attic "storage" room (sort of) and found a VERY old cigar box that contained a hand written "diary"? on some of the history of the house.  Haven't read it yet...but I will!  Found a very old cane type chair too.  Most of the stuff we put into the dumpster but it's a bit interesting to find "junk"...:laughkick:

• Like 3

After I helped hubby sort through the "attic room junk" and drying a load of clothes, I came home an finished up my last batch of jarring up butter.  That makes 36 half pints total for the extended pantry.  For supper...we're still eating from one or the other of the pantry's...tonight we had boneless pork chops, steamed potatoes and green beans.  Dessert was raspberry gelatin  (I make it from the Mennonite's blend and soooo much cheaper than jello) with whipped topping.  I buy the dry whipped topping from the Mennonite's also.  For a one pound bag I paid 2.95$ and it takes 1/3 cup of cold milk and 1/3 cup of mix.  I put it in a pint jar and give a very good shake...so tasty on desserts or fruit.  (If I want it fluffier, I just put that mixture into my blender.  Wanna see?

100_1268 Whipped Topping from the pantry.jpg

100_1269 Eating from the pantry 12-21-19.jpg

100_1270 Desert from the pantry 12-21-19.jpg

• Like 4

Looks so good...as usual. You must be a great cook. Neat about finding the diary. Should be an interesting read.

I wasn't going out this evening but I caved. I hadn't been to Target in a very long time so I decided to do a parking lot drive by. It wasn't any busier than a normal week day so I went in. I got some children's meds to have on hand. A warm blanket. It feels like a knitted sweater. A snow shovel and a small cheap area rug for the playroom. I think it is 5x8 or something like that. Better than sitting on the cold linoleum floor. I added them to the list in the basement but Kindle won't let me cross them off. 

I have $50.00 left on my Wal-Mart gift card so that will go towards a vacuum cleaner. I did pretty good this year with free gift cards from my bank. Spent some at Amazon, a little at Target and the rest at Wal-Mart. I'll get more gift cards from the bank when I pay the Amazon and Target purchases off. I live a lot off of those free cards. I feel like a wheeler and a dealer. 

I had bought a couple of toys to stay at the Indy house. DIL told me one of the toys he thinks he "needs in his life" is the one I got and she can't find it anywhere. So I had to go out for some wrapping paper. That way he won't chance seeing it when I transfer it to their house. They can keep it at their house. I don't care. 

He's into Paw Patrol. Whatever that is. I found a child size Paw Patrol guitar. Look out Rolling Stones! Can't wait to see him "swagger like Jagger". He also likes Peppa Pig. I have no idea about that one either. Except it's British and sometimes he says things in a British accent. Kid is already bi-lingual. Speaks American and British.  :24:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I hope you can get your DH on the right track for his COPD and get him past it and on road to recovery. 

Thanks, Littlesister!  I wish I could (and have done research).  He is between Stage 3 and 4--severe and most severe.  There is just living with it and hoping he doesn't get a cold, virus or infection on top of it.  Am hoping the infusion will help with arthritis pain and still praying and researching help for his severe hand tremors.  Then add fibromyalgia and it's a rough mix.  Some days are better than others and I am certainly not going anywhere--God willing.

So glad we traveled and had the adventures we did before he got sick!  Everyone thought we were crazy, but we were not!

• Like 1