MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thank you Ann. Hoping for many more years. God willing. Wow. Two more years will be 40. Special celabration in order.  Free firewood that is great.  Can't beat that. We have used up all the firewood from our cut down trees. Maybe enough for 4 more firepit fires. Then will have to buy a cord of wood. 

Homesteader,  Your kitchen is coming along  nicely. Will be done before you know it. 

This morning got all the clothes washed, stripped the bed and washed the sheets and blankets. Got my little curtains finished for the cubbies. Now to get started on that table cloth for the folding table we decided to keep up for our appliances on to use. Then I won't have to keep running out to garage to grab what I need. It is to the point that I don't even use them unless I have to because of that. Would get much more use out of them if they were in the house. Well back to work. Break is over. 

• Like 2

Went to local grocery for fresh veggies and fruit. Came home and did a practice decontamination. This afternoon going to move some bottled water from front shed to back one. Make a chaffle with almond flour and bake those apple slices in the waffle maker. Did my walk and an exercise video this morning.

• Like 2

What a neat way to hang cabinets, Homesteader. Sure beats trying to balance them on a shoulder while another someone else trys to get a screw to stay on a screwdriver so they can get it on the wall. I even have one of those ladders.  :blush:

Today we have SNOW....  Not supposed to be much however.....  Koa barked to come in and she was ENTIRELY COVERED in snow.  Big sticky flakes.  She knows towels are 'good lovin'.  lol  Cleans her off some too.

I'm being very observant with my level of energy/stamina.  In the morning I have begun to walk back and forth across our porch.  Not trying to go down/up the stairs.  Stay on top level and just walk...  Gotta start somewhere.  :shrug: 

Did dishes without getting light headed today.  :bounce:  .....er, no I don't think I'll be doing any bouncing exercises yet.  :rolleyes:  But PROGRESS will get me excited!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Midnightmom, those look good. Let us know how they turned out.  

Got dinner cooked then cleaned kitchen.  Made bed,  and heading to bed a little early tonight.  Helping DH cook collards for market tomorrow. Wouldn't be so bad but we are down there by 6AM. to get them started. They are already stripped for us, we just have to get them washed and in pot. Then we have coffee and breakfast down there. Yes, they cook breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as being a farmers market with fresh produce and the best meat around. The butchers are right behind the meat counter where you can watch them cutting up meat and rapping it right there.  They will cut meat any way you want it. 

Mt. Rider just take it one step at a time.  Your body will tell you when to slow down or stop. Pay attention to that and don't try to push yourself. Still keeping you in prayer to get through this and get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to Wal-Mart to do a little topping off of supplies. It was business as usual there and the med aisle was fully stocked. There were none of those cart wipes as you went in. Sheeesh. I saw a bottle of hand sanitizer on the desk thing (where the person stands to check your receipt) and used that. Sigh. 

I found some N95 respirator type masks way back in the hardware aisle. If I hadn't been looking for steel wool I wouldn't have seen them. They were $7.00 but I'm not sure how many are in there. Maybe one? I got all 6 packages. They are still in the Jeep and I don't feel like going down to the garage and bringing them in to see. Will explain why...

I started feeling faint and nauseous in the store. I was only half way finished shopping. I looked all over for a place to sit down. There are no rest benches in my Wal-Mart! I knew there was one at the pharmacy but the last time I walked by it was full. I wasn't going there anyway. I thought about the shoe aisle. They had one single person bench there. I sat for a few minutes pretending I was looking at my list. I got up slowly went to the front of the store and saw a checkout lane with no one in it. Yeah. 

My plan was to check out then go sit in the car for a few, get my strength back, go back in and finish shopping. I sat in the Jeep for about a half hour and didn't really feel much better. I passed by Wendy's and got a baked potato and a salad for supper. I came home got out of the Jeep and felt faint again. I made it in the house and just left everything in the garage. 

I keep forgetting to take my blood pressure when that happens. It's happening too often but I'm definitely not going to the doctors office until this coronavirus mess is over. My luck she'd want to hospitalized me for observation. No way on that either. She'll ask me if I'm exercising. She always does. I can't stay upright woman. No I'm not exercising. 

I just have a couple more things to pick up and I'll do that in the morning and then I can stay put for as long as I want. 

• Sad 5

:hug3: Jeepers.  It's lousy to feel lousy, right?  You took good precautions tho.  :thumbs:  Hope you're feeling better and this feeling faint goes away.

We got SIX INCHES of snow later yesterday.  DH called from work and said he was hearing scary things about road conditions, wrecks, vehicles going OFF the roads.  His route home is particularly winding with huge drop-off places.  [the type where they find the vehicle/occupant in the spring...]   He thot he should get a room at hotel for the night - and gets half-price rate for employee.  I thot it was a good plan.  Koa...was wondering where he was!!

I called for snow removal guy.  We swapped stories and his wife was very late coming home....different road.  Same problems w/o the drop off cliffs.  Definitely a good choice.  He'll be able to get home tonite fine.  Today was bright sunny and nearly 40*.  I opened both doors to get fresh air in here.  :D   Koa is still looking for DH....very restless and barking all day.  :buttercup:  Another few hours and all will be right in her world.

I've had much better time since I realized I need to NOT do much later in the day.  I swept off the main porch....went in to rest.  Push-shoveled off the part that isn't covered with roof....went in to rest.  Swept the steps slowly...went to rest.  I did not even THINK of trying to wade to my truck....get snow off....warm up and drive it out of the way for the snow removal guy.  Nope.  Not happening.  I'd pass out in the snow.

Later I did "porch laps" while talking to DD2 on phone.  Spent time all day getting up to tell dog to shut up or bringing her in.  Kept her out the back or on porch a lot tho.  Sunshine should be enjoyed when possible. 

Only coughing about 6 times a day now.  :amen:   Am going to be cutting way back on the inhaler and cough suppressant.  We'll see if it's ok to do that now. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 1/25/2020 at 8:09 PM, The WE2's said:

They turned out really fluffy and thick!

Sliced a couple in half and we had hot ham, cheese and egg sandwiches for our lunch Sunday, and Monday morning ate the last two with our breakfast...put sausage gravy over them and scrambled some eggs.  Worth doing again!

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 7:28 AM, Homesteader said:

how to accomplish that tight squeeze

He did get it done...used his multi-tool grinder and ground the hanger down just enough to get it into place.  Love that guy! LOL

• Like 3

Today was a baking day.  Needed something sweet for dessert so I took a cookie mix and baked a BIG cookie then cut in into small squares...and into a baggie they went.  The bread was done just in time for supper.  We have just enough dog food for our girl to last until pay comes in.  Raided the truck for her emergency bag (hadn't been opened) and brought over a case of the wet dog food from the homestead's pantry.  Of course we found more frozen sushi! LOL  Vet said it's okay to feed her that...last year...so she's enjoying two little rounds for her lunch and she's also got several chunks of sweet potatoes in the freezer that I thaw a few out for her.  Then she gets her "special treat" at bedtime...similar to a "greenie" bone.  Just didn't have enough of her dry kibbles set back...finances and we thought there was more in her trash can than there was!  We keep her food stored outside in a galvanized trash can lined with a very heavy mil black plastic contractor's bag...and only bring in about a week's worth in a 4 gallon bucket...in the kitchen.  She knows that white bucket!  When hubby takes it out for a re-fill she lays by the back door until he brings it back in!  Right now that outside bucket is empty.  

Hubby was able to get the "pickle" floor joist in place and now only has 2 more to go.  The gas company called and they'll need into the homestead's house to re-light the gas backup furnace....they're putting in a new outside meter and will shut off the gas.  So...hubby has to close the pantry room door, hang a sheet over the kitchen/dining room door so he can't see in, and bring him in the back door and into the basement via the mud room and then the kitchen.  Just don't want him eyeballing things ya know?  

Supposed to be getting some more snow before too long.  There's still some on the ground.  It just hasn't warmed up and stayed warm enough to melt it off.

Check with my sis in law and brother isn't really avoid people she says.  He's been doing so much coughing that his throat is so sore it hurts for him to talk.  They're scheduling another MRI tomorrow to see if the malignancy has advanced from state 3 to 4 in the lung and if it's spreading to other organs.  She's arranging for pain management care.  We're praying for God to stop this thing in it's track and that he can take chemo and fight this out.  You're prayers are welcomed! 

• Like 2

I thought about using an electric cart but I've never used one and I don't know how they work. I'd have to practice a few times during off hours.  :blush:   I'm trying to avoid canes, walkers and wheeled chairs as long as possible. Sigh. I'm counting shopping trips as exercise now. 

One thing I forgot to mention was the cashier. I hate it when they comment on my purchases. She looked at the masks and said, "Whoa, those are expensive!" It took me off guard and I said to look them up on Amazon. She asked why. I told her because there were none to be had. I was sick and a little defensive.  She asked why again. I said, "Because of the flu I guess." She actually said, "What flu." Then she said "Oh, that one over in China." I just said, "Yeah."  She rang the rest of my stuff and said, "Well, it looks like you will be ready. I'm coming to your house." I said, "I'll be watching for you." I was thinking, I'd be watching alright...locked and loaded. She was in her 50's. I shouldn't have engaged. 

I thought about writing a sternly written email to Wal-Mart telling them to please train their cashiers to not make comments about their customers purchases. And PLEASE have few rest benches for us old farts. I would have spent more money if I could have rested. I remember a long time ago Wal-Mart used to have some wooden benches in the stores. Some kid probably fell off of one and mommy sued them. Pfft. I'm disgruntled. 

Mt.Rider, I thought about you today while I was getting faint. I know you were having those issues last week too. Wouldn't we make a great team out shopping...reviving each other. You drive the cart and I'll sit in the basket. 

We2 saying prayers for your dear brother.  :pray:

• Sad 2

We're exhausted, and our carpenter friend finished his work last night. There's still lots to do but he has major surgery tomorrow. We had him for the last four weeks on time-and-material, and we thought we'd died and gone to heaven.   :hug3:  He's not fast, but he's a master carpenter and he's backlogged over a year most times. He can also create from nothing like my DH which comes in handy when project plans aren't in writing.   :grinning-smiley-044:   We all sit at the dining room table at lunch time each day and laugh about the decades we've known each other and all the adventures we've survived at church.   :happy0203:   Growing old together with dear friends, is the best.  :thumbs:

BTW - This morning, on the way to the woodburner and coffee pot, I came downstairs and automatically ducked my head near the last floor joist. It's not there anymore.   :laughkick:

P1040591.JPG

• Like 5

Insurance agent can't help with ongoing dispute, so will be meeting with attorney soon. Staying home today and doing exercise video as it is cold and rainy. Will help ladies with a project tonight at Church. Going to make more hummus, "nice cream" and chicken burgers.

• Sad 3

Aw Miki, I'm sad to hear you are still having issues with your flood plane that really isn't a flood plane. It's always something isn't it. :pray:   :hug3:   :pray:

I'm going to try Wal-Mart one more time today. I need some more crackers and some oatmeal. I'm going to pick up some jello and tapioca too. And those little individual cottage cheeses. Stuff that's easy on the stomach. And Gator aid and water. And Lysol. Other than bread, milk and fresh fruit that's it for me for awhile. I still feel lousy so I plan to stay home and rest up. We'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

My B.P. is a little high. 142/97.  It's always high though. You'd think one of the three pills she has me on for blood pressure would do a better job. Blood sugar was 119. It should be 99 or below. I'm a mess.  :blush:

• Sad 4

Miki hope you get that flood ins. straight soon. I know you will be glad to have that behind you.

Jeepers hoping and praying you get better soon.  Are you able to take one extra B/P medication when your bottom number is that high. 97 for the low number is way to high.  You could have a stroke if it stays like that. I would call doctor and ask if it is ok to take one extra of the three pills you are on when it gets that high. That is one of the reasons you don't feel right. As for the diabetics,  119 is a bit high but not really that bad. Just cut back on carbs. Also if you are not drinking much water, try drinking more water. Dehydration happens easily in older people. I have been through that with DH to the point of his passing out. It will show up in you lab work if you are dehydrated but some doctors won't tell you that. That is why always get copies of our lab work. Then I know what is going on and how to take care of it. DH has Cong. heart failure and even with that he is to drink 64 ounces of water daily.  If you do have a glass of tea or lemonade, you can't count that as part of that 64 ounces. But soda does not count as it can dehydrate you. 

Today I emptied the hall make shift pantry.  Now we feel like WE2. They are sliding doors and one of them came off track a few months ago making it hard to open. DH has been working on it all day. And he still hasn't been able to get it to stop coming off track. He is tired now so he will work on it tomorrow. So now I have all my canned foods sitting on the 2 folding tables and floor in the foyer. But I did get the walls in there washed down. It was dusty from where they were making the intake air for air conditioner larger. To make the air conditioner work much better we needed to have a larger return duck. But the dust from sawing through the ceiling went through to my closet. So now time to get all this mess cleaned up. I feel like between that and the driveway, we have been eating dust for the past 3 months. 

DH made salmon cakes for dinner tonight. So I made baked beans, corn bread, and some green beans to go with it. He is finally starting to feel like doing little things again but I still don't want him to push his self to much. Just doing a little hear and there till he gets his strength back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Jeepers said:

You drive the cart and I'll sit in the basket. 

:24:    .......  ACK.....now I'm COUGHING!  :faint3:  Sheeeeeesh, it's a grim life when any laughter causes COUGHING!  

Back to the topic....Jeepers, I am a loooong time driver of those store scooters.  I can expertly wind them around store displays and inattentive shoppers like I took tour buses around the antiquated streets of OLD towns on Maui. Wheeeeeeeeee!  We could have fun!  :balloons:    But git yor head down!  I can't see where we're goin' !!!    Ooops, hope we don't hafta buy that!  :sassing:  

Seriously ....they DO really help on 'bad' days tho, Jeepers.  Save your energy for shopping, not locomotion.  Practice in the big aisles....not the clothing section!  You'll get strangled and stranded in the clothing section!!! 

MtRider  :engel-smilies-10-1:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joining prayers for Miki's NOT-flooding issue.  :pray:    :darthduck:  :pray:    [well, ole "darthduck" is standing in for angel, fighting for the RIGHT things!  ]

And for all of us still not feeling just right..... :pray: 

And for the surgery Homesteaders' dear friend will be going thru.... :pray: 

WE2's brother..... :pray: 

MtRider  :amen:  Something's going to happen!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Save your energy for shopping

Jeepers...you can always step out of the scooter (keep your purse with you) and walk around it to look at items you're interested in, and can put them in the cart.  Then hop back in and away you go!

• Like 5

I stopped the inhaler and the codeine cough suppressant after a morning dose yesterday.  Hmmm..... I could feel that today.  I didn't increase coughing  [except when laughing at Jeepers]  so it's the right choice.  But I'm way dizzy and a bit odd feeling.  Best I'm not on those meds too long, I guess.  But....they did the job.  I'm feeling MUCH better, tho weak. 

And I finally figured out how to work the website for my new doc.  I kept getting notices in email that I had new messages.  :scratchhead:   I need the younger generations near me!!!!!!!!   Finally figured it out - tho I've found things before on the website and then never found them again.  :gaah:   I THINK I can now.  Even sent message back, responding to doc's MA.  "Yes...I'm much better.  And does the blood test require fasting?"  

Does anyone else know that they don't DO fasting blood tests anymore?  That's the reply I got back.  Call me old....  :rolleyes: 

Wow, if I'd have known about this messaging thing, I could have hurried that 'script along with a note direct to doc or MA!!!!  Never know who is going to answer if you make phone call to their huge organization.  Not just a local doctor's office anymore. 

Dog is sticking close to DH all day.  Following him around so he doesn't 'get lost' like he did Monday night.  :lol:  He took her to the park to explore....  :bounce:  A RIDE and a PARK!  Whoohooooo!

I did some "porch laps" and they're getting easier.  Even if today wasn't a good day, withdrawing from meds.  Had nice sun ....then we got more snow.  Hmph.  Not much.....I hope.  Haven't looked out lately. 

DH and I managed to change a light bulb:buttercup:   He started the project and ....I decided to go see what was up.  First he couldn't get his knee up high enough to get on sturdy chair.  Not quite the flexible karate man I married.  So I get up there and ....need vacuum!  Always dead flies. :wacko: So he's wrestling with that and finally got it to me.  I'm asking:  "So where's the light bulb?"  Oh.  So he's off in kitchen tearing stuff apart.  I quit trying to vacuum flies without help lifting vacuum high enough.  I go out to prevent more mayhem in my kitchen.  "Light bulbs are not there!!!!" I'm exclaiming.....viewing the MESS he made.  :tapfoot:   "Why didn't you ask me....I moved them from there at least a year ago."   So I get the light bulb......  Are you noticing how DH was going to "change the light bulb" and WHO is doing all of it?  So he holds up the vacuum so I can remove the rest of the flies.  Hand him the globe to wash and finally put bulb and globe in place.  :curtsey:  He did put the vacuum and chair back while I slithered off to my bed before I collapsed.  :imoksmiley:  

MtRider  ....porch laps and changed a light bulb!  And another day is gone....  :sigh: 

• Haha 3