MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Sigh. Now I know what I'm touching to get that quote box in my posts. It's the  "  sign beside the smilie sign up there. But I don't know how to get rid of the boxes. Tapping it twice does not undo it. It gives you two boxes. I'm skeered to touch anything else. 

Lol Mt. Rider. Reminds me of the old store signs, "You break it...you bought it." We might have issues.

I still have to fast for about 10 hours before I have blood work done. They usually say nothing but water after midnight until the test is done. I had the last blood work done around 6 months ago.  :shrug:

Littlesister, my blood pressure drops suddenly sometimes so more meds would probably cause it to unexpectedly bottom out. My real problem with it is it's so unpredictable from hour to hour. Nothing seems to even it out. I think you are correct about the dehydration! I noticed the skin on my forearm looked really wrinkled last night, when I held it up. The back of my hand looks a little deflated too. 

How many mountain folks does it take to change a light bulb? Evidently two humans plus one rather large dog huddled in the corner trying to look invisible. Two sick-ish humans, one strange thing so loud it's frightening (I don't let on, they have enough problems), mom holding the stick end of it up trying to suck the innards out of that dead thing on the ceiling, dad trying to get up on a chair using words I've never heard before, all while handling something glass. It's been a ruff time around here lately. First dad gets lost (bless his heart) then mom goes on a rampage like the wild woman of Borneo. She's even started pacing on the porch now. I'm concerned. Sure, I'm a therapy dog but I think they need more "therapy" than I can provide. 

At least you got two things done today. I slept the day away. So much for Wal-Mart.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, The WE2's said:

they don't DO fasting blood tests anymore

I still fast before my blood work so my results are consistent.  This is why:  Clinic did DH's blood work the other day.  He told them he ate a couple of hours earlier and they said that was fine.  Labs came back and his blood sugar was a little higher and they now say he is pre-diabetic.  It would have been normal if he was fasting or they had done it another day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A little depressed right now. Looks like the mortgage company will win. It will just cost us too much to pull a new flood cert or fight it. If we refinanced- which would cost-, the same thing could happen again. This will take a little "letting go". If they raise it too much, they can foreclose and I know things could be worse. So we will see what and how much they add to our payment - probably in March.

In other news, I cleaned the bathrooms, while mad and am glad that's done! And so far no stress eating!

• Sad 4

Oh ....I HATE IT when something is just not right!  So sorry to hear, Miki.  :motz_6:   I'm afraid the term, "cheaters never prosper" does not apply to BIG BUSINESS.  Hmph!

....do you have anything like a state insurance commissioner? 

MtRider  :pray:  gonna keep on anyway!!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miki, I am so sorry to hear that they are forcing you to get that insurance. If you are not in a flood zone, they should not make you get it. If you possibly can, I would check into other banks or mortgage companies to see what it would be to switch over to someone else. You might could find a better deal.

On blood work.  You are suppose to fast 12 hours before having it done. I can't believe a doctor would even suggest that. There are some test you don't need to fast for, but if you are having all the labs done then yes you should be fasting for 12 hours. But you can and should drink water. No coffee or tea just water.  I am a retired nurse and the fasting labs has not changed. 

I am so tired tonight. DH got the sliding door fixed. And I went through all our food and got it all reorganized and put away. newest foods to the back and oldest in front.  We have been at it all day. DH started dinner tonight while I finished up and then I helped him finish up dinner. We had a boston butt steak left over from last night so we just split that and cooked up some squash and green beans from the pantry for dinner. That was about all either of us wanted. I was to tired to eat, but I did eat. Still got a few things to put up in the small bedroom that I switched out of hall pantry to put in the  bookshelf that is also a make shift pantry. Got a lot of pickles that I canned that I needed to get all put in one place. Now I can find things again.  It has been a good 5 years since I took everything out of pantries and cleaned up. Something that really needs to be done now and again.  I am not sure I am going to buy store bought foods for a long while unless it is something I am out of. Going to start really hard on eating out of pantry. Already started on the freezers. But now the pantries will get used up as well. Still got one closet in my office to go through. I was really hoping to have a lot of this done by now but with DH sick as he was for over 5 months, it has been a struggle to get things done. He is still not there yet and still has some issues we still need to see doctor for follow-up on but he is starting to get a bit of energy back. He has helped me now for 2 days straight. That is a great sign. 

Again I think all of you for the prayers for him to get better.

I also am still praying for all of you to get better. This is not the time to be sick.  Also I think this would be a good time for all of us to start praying that this corona virus does not go any further than it has. pray for God to put protection around us, our families and our neighborhoods that this virus does not come into our homes and neighborhoods. Something we need to do daily. Pray for that protection. 

• Like 4

:laughkick::008Laughing::sassing::24::P    .......  :0327:     Jeepers, you're killing me here!    :grinning-smiley-044:   Yes we did get two things done yesterday.....

Today ....   :buttercup:    we had to clear off 2" more snow and deal with the ice that is taking over the walkway under porch that leads to the garage [laundry, etc] door.  So DH took sled up into the hillside...  Formerly goat hill and now belongs to Koa.  It gets enough sun to thaw the cement-quality of our gritty hillside.  He slid two loads down so we could build up a 'causeway' above the level of the ice...water....ice....water....ice....  [depends on the temperature - changes every 24 hrs]  At least we can walk safely on that.    :imoksmiley:  Also cleared snow from around the bottom of our steps and car.  DH cleared snow off the cab/windshield of my truck.  Need to clear it off the aluminum topper....'fore it gets too heavy.  :gaah:  We don't have the energy for this.  More snow incoming....right now and later in week.  :sigh:  

So I didn't do porch laps today.  WORE myself out.  While still 'high'  ....er....'energetic' on adrenaline,  I washed hair/shower.  Rested some before I dried it.  We had 3 blackened bananas so DH got ambitious [likes baking] and made banana bread.  :yum3:   I had to find things for him....recipe, more flour, bread pans, more brown sugar.  You might have noticed that I'm the one who knows where the not-used-often things are located.  THEN I went to lay down and REST!    Used inhaler tonite....breathing feeling tight and coughing.  :buttercup:   Couldn't have done tooooo much, eh?  Not doing anything in afternoon/evening.

My mom is sad and frustrated.  A plan they began didn't work....for the usual reasons nothing works now in their household.  Pray for her, please.

MtRider  ....tired of snow and tired of tired...

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Hi Everybody long time no see! Might need to update my pic he's 8 now :laughkick:I'm adjusting to living in a new place and 2nd new job in the last year. Loving it but I moved and life got crazy busy. Iam now in charge of Operations for a federally qualified health care center so super busy and every day is chock full of things to learn and do. I miss you all though so came by to see how life's treating you all. Also wanted to alert you that we were unable to order any more facemasks today and thankfully have a bunch on hand but I am concerned about restocking them during flu season because of the worldwide demand. So use yours judicously. They are really only good with the regular masks for preventing getting others sick not keeping viruses out. For that you need a respirator or N95 mask and then you have to have that fit tested to make sure you don't have any gaps for it to work. Those are all out of stock too. Best case I think is wash hands and avoid sick people and take all the same precautions you would to avoid the flu.

• Like 4

Hi Becca_Anne. :hi:

Congrats on your job title and moves. I remember when you were in school and when Ben was a babe in arms. 

I have some N95 masks and would only use them in an emergency situation. Hopefully To keep a germ away that isn't projected directly at me. Best to stay inside but if you run out of food or water or something vital, you might have to venture out. I mean during a crisis, not right now. I'm hanging on to mine too. I went on Amazon a few days ago to look at some and they were sold out. Some vendors said a 2 week shipping date. That could all change though. 

I found some N95 masks at Wal-Mart this week.  They were way back on the back wall in the hardware department. They even mentioned the word 'flu' on them. Dumb luck that I was back there looking for something else. 

• Like 4

I had a pretty good upright day today. I went to the grocery store. Giant Eagle is plastic bagless now. I didn't realize it until I got to the checkout. And my cart was overflowing. I stocked up. So, I went ahead and bought 5 at .99 each. Well now I've got bags I guess. He asked how full I wanted them. I said to the brim. Bless him he sure did. Long story short, he had to put them in the cart and he went out to the Jeep and loaded it up for me. I tried to tip him but he refused saying he'd get fired if he took it. Nice guy. Wish I could have brought him home to unload it. 

I got everything carried in albeit a little bit at a time. All the cold stuff is put away and the rest can sit on the kitchen floor until I can get to it. My back will probably be out for a few days. I forgot Lysol AGAIN. 

When I went in I got a bottle of water to sip on and walked really slow. I was starting to get weak but I only had a couple of things left to get on the way to check out. It wasn't great but a lot better than it has been. I started feeling bad after I got the cold stuff put away and came upstairs. I felt like I usually do before I pass out. Weak, dizzy and nauseous. I made it upstairs and grabbed my blood pressure machine. 130/74. That is good for me. But my pulse rate was 132. Maybe it isn't B.P. after all.  :shrug:

I found the N95 masks I got at Wal-Mart this week. They were $7.00 for a 2 pack back where the sand paper is. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, I hope you are feeling better now.   Have you seen a heart doctor.  Maybe a stress test is in order.  I would check into it to make sure it's not anything going on with your heart.  And to be sure, make sure you are drinking enough water.  I am back after DH about that again. He was doing good for awhile but backed off the water again. Not good. 

DH and I went to dentist this morning.  Turns out that one tooth that was always hurting when I drink hot or cold liquids was a small cavity right at the bottom of tooth. I had it to where it wouldn't hurt anymore and then they cleaned my teeth. So I am going back in a couple of weeks to have that taken care of. :scratchhead:8 months ago I told the other dentist in that same office about it and he did nothing. Got a new one today and he is going to take care of it. Though I can see it and still looks like a cracked tooth to me. But as long as it won't bother me anymore after they fill it that's good. Best to get it done now. Should have been fixed 8 months ago. DH did fine on his cleaning. But they do want to put a new cap on a tooth that is cracked and he said no as it is not bothering him and it has been like that for years. 

Stopped off at drug store and picked up the RX's for both DH and myself. Ouch!! 3 months supply $549.50.  That hurts. But got to have it and those are not all the ones we need yet.  First of year  and the deductible starts all over again. The Eliquis blood thinner was the $500 one. That should have taken care of the deductible for the year. 

Got home and paid bills and then finished  up on the taxes. So off to the CPA they go. Just got to go to post office to get them mailed. Not driving to VA Beach to get them done anymore. He said we can mail them. So certified and they have to sign for them. That way I know they got there plus if anything happens they are traceable.   Took all day just to get paperwork done. So glad that is over for the year. Made a pizza for dinner. Not the most healthy meal but was quick. Just didn't feel like cooking tonight. But it was a veggie pizza. Tomatoes, green peppers, red onions and Canadian bacon. That has not got much salt compared to pepperoni. Back to my make shift pantries tomorrow. The one in hall is done. Just got to get the one in small bedroom cleaned out and reorganized.  Will start on that as soon as I get back from post office. 

DH gastro doctor called today also. Wants him to have more lab work and he needs to have an ultra sound on liver. Not sure yet what they are looking for. But hoping it is nothing but the pills he takes. That can be fixed with liv 52.  That happened to me. Got fatty liver and the RX's I was taken caused an issue.  So started the liv 52 liver cleanse and it took care of the problem. I am going to go ahead and order some as I am out of it. Should be keeping that on hand. 

Hello Becca Ann.  Glad for you starting a new job and a move as well. I am sure that did keep you very busy.  Hope all works out for you. Congratulations.  And yes the N95 mask are getting harder and harder to find.  I was lucky enough that I got some from the doctor I worked for.  I was checking them last night and I have well over 100 of them.  I had added to what he gave me so I would have enough for family as well.  Though It does make you wonder in a pandemic how many is enough. So didn't have to buy any. Thankful for that at least. 

Also for those that do not know this:  In the case of flu, cornea virus those germs can get into your body through your eyes. So just like washing your hands.  Buy some Johnson's baby shampoo. You can wash your eyes with that. It will NOT burn eyes. The home health care nurses told me about it. So I am now doing that as a precaution when I get home from stores as well as washing hands.  

Also bought some safety glasses that fit tight around the eyes. Got 2 pair of them from Amazon. Won't use them unless I need to but these are for pandemics. Good thing to have handy as well as the mask. 

• Like 2

I had my heart ultra sound-ed a few years back. I have tachycardia (fast heart beat). Gees, ya think. I want to have it checked out again. Either after this flu mess is past or after I move. I'm staying clear of hospitals as long as I can right now. I dread going to the dentist but I'm way over due again. I want to change too. I didn't like mine very well. I'm not so sure he knew what he was doing. And he didn't keep me very well informed on what he was doing before he did it. I've never never heard of liv 52. Sounds like something I'd be interested in checking out since some of my meds are processed through the liver. 

I got my goggles a few summers ago when the stores had their summer things out. It might be a little early yet but soon they will be available at Wal-Mart etc. I got some clear and some tinted. I think I'll look for some swimming face masks this summer. 

Adding baby shampoo to my list also Lysol. I keep forgetting the Lysol. I'd like to make a run to Sam's Club Monday since I have to be out and about anyway. Lysol, baby shampoo and I'm about out of paper towels. I rarely use them but I had a couple of big messes recently. A 12 pack will last me over a year. Probably close to two years. 

You're lucky to have so many masks. I only have about 30-40 N95 plus two boxes of the surgical masks. I will only use them in an emergency. I'm holding on to them as long as I can. 

• Like 3

:wave:   Hi Becca Anne!  It's been a long time.  Yes, thanks for thinking of us....with the mask shortage.  Didn't take long for that to happen, did it?  Then again, the more folks that buy and wear a mask properly, the fewer folks getting flu or other things passed around.         .....he's eight?  Whoooee!  Time flies whether we're having fun or not, apparently.  :rolleyes: 

Jeepers.....I've been doing that "pass out....shocky" feeling since this illness.  I did it today....half way up the durned steps to the house.  Didn't have XXL dog to give me an assist but DH was coming down to do something.  He got me to the top.  Hmm....guess I have to stay up there and do 'porch laps' a while longer.  Coming up those steps yesterday ....after going to hospital for the lab work my doc wants later this month at appt.......same thing happened.  :imoksmiley:   WHAT a nuisance!!!!  Barely made it up the stairs.  Stairs are a particularly strenuous exercise.  Didn't think to check my O2 sat. rate or pulse with the little finger thing.  Those are handy and cheap....if anyone doesn't have one.  Be careful, friend!  :hug3: 

All my labs are done and on the Internet for us to look at.  DH says I'm in pretty good shape on all those.  A bit high or low here and there.  [his labs are worse.....] :(    Since I'd been locked inside sick for weeks....and hadn't even been taking my Vit D pills, my level was just above the low mark.  Winter in the Rockies....not a lot of opportunity B)   The hospital was almost empty when we went.  Only close contact was with the gal who did the blood draw.  I didn't even cough while with her.  

Awful weak & tired today tho.  Got good sleep.  I had to take a dose of the cough suppressant towards evening last nite.  The cough is going deep again....drat!  Hope it's just a normal progression towards healing....or do I need to take the suppressant still?  "As Needed" is WAY too vague for me.  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  ....resting.....forever?   :rolleyes: 

• Sad 5

You guys have got to get well.  Praying for all of you for a fast recovery. 

Didn't do a whole lot today. Decided to take it easy. I did put a few things away that were sitting on spare bed. And of course cleaned kitchen, mainly the usual stuff. Went to post office to mail taxes to the CPA. So they should get that on Monday.  Then came home and fixed breakfast and cleaned up. We went to daughter's house to visit for a bit, then came home and just chilled out. Seems my energy levels are dropping again. So got to work on getting that back up. 

Been thinking about that garden as I am wanting to get the raised beds going and at the same time, I look at all the food we have and wondering rather to just skip a garden this year and just have the raised beds for next year ready to go. Tough decisions when you look at all that is going on in the world and this corina virus going on.  another one was confirmed in Boston, MA.  All the things I have canned and have a great deal of are chicken, beef, squash, green beans though I could plant more of those, I have made chicken soups, veg. beef soup, tomato soup, and lots of tomatoes that I canned both plain and with onions and celery. have canned salsa, pizza sauce, ketchup, pickles are running out of our ears. sweet pickle relish, hamburger,  picadilly relish, succutash,  white potatoes and sweet potatoes, etc.  I have well over 30 or more quarts and pints.  This was great when granddaughter and her husband was still living here. She shopped from my pantries. But now that she is moving to Washington State that won't happen anymore. Can't carry it that far. Even while living in Maryland, she would make trips here to shop from my pantries and take it back with her. So now it will be just the 2 of us eating all this food. This is why I am back and forth about rather to plant a garden this summer or wait a year. Food is everywhere around here. DH wants me to make a tablecloth to go to floor in den to put boxes of some of the canned foods under there. Not going to happen. We have friends and neighbors that come to house now and then and don't want food stacked under tables in den. The pictures I posted under pantry ideas was nothing compared to what I have now. Ouch!  So I have some big decisions to make. To garden or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems like so many of us are under the weather this season!  Get well soon!

I stayed home today. Did 2 exercise videos (will be happy when the weather cooperates and I can walk again), swept the house. Wiped down all shelves out in the shed with lysol, then transferred many, many cases of home canned food out to pantry #2. Felt great to get that done!

Tomorrow, I will start to clean and reorganize the pantry in the house. Much easier to rotate food now!

• Like 2

Son just called. The three of them have bad colds and son has the flu and bronchitis. He tested positive for the flu but not the coronavirus. They have been holed up since Wednesday. He said he could go back to work Monday. She gave him some meds and an inhaler. I asked him the name of the meds but he couldn't remember and the bottle was downstairs. I'll try to find out just to know what they are giving. He said everyone was gloved and masked up in the office, including him. 

I'm getting another bladder infection. Sigh. It's been decades since I've had one now this makes two in the last 3-4 months. The last one didn't hurt much. This one does. I'll call Monday. I really don't want to go in there. Maybe she will prescribe something and I can pick it up at the pharmacy. Probably want a urinalysis though. Cipro is the only antibiotic I can take without getting a bad rash. Last time she gave it to me she didn't give me enough and I had to dig into my own stash. I think she only prescribed five. 

I've never been this sick for this long in a very long time. 

Now for the best news. A new movie is coming out soon. Mick Jagger is in it.  :cele: 

It's "R" rated but I think I'm old enough to handle it.  

• Like 2
On 1/31/2020 at 3:30 PM, Jeepers said:

Maybe it isn't B.P. after all

This may be quite a long shot...but after they did the catarac surgery on my eyes, my dizziness nearly disappeared.  The only issue I have now is that I should wear bifocals...and I will when I get the dollars...because my sight still isn't "even".  All this past few years med.doc attributed it to thyroid and ears.  They may still add to it, but at least I can walk on my own without a cane.  I just have to "look" where I'm walking.  In my younger days I didn't need to do that...not so now.  Age makes us drag or shuffle our feet and I've had to realize that and make the adjustments.  Just sayin...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What did we do today? 

First off...I cut about 4 inches off my hair and put some layers in it.  Just got tired of it being just straight and nearly always in a pony tail.  Not a bad job if I say so myself!  I may still take another inch or two off...I still have plenty!  It'was nearly to my waist.

THEN...the eagle landed (the real estate senior citizen rebate) so we went Amish shopping.  Crackers, tomato sauce, dehydrated canteloupe, mandarin oranges, and pineapple, hemp hearts, pizza sauce, chips, bags of fries (2), bags of potato patties (2), sausage links (2 bags), package of sliced ham, battered cod patties, package of pork chops, 5 chubs of Jimmy Dean sausage, sliced cheese, sausage crumbles (2 bags), two containers of shredded parm, a case of sliced peaches, a flat of mixed fruit, a two case pack of chunked pineapple, two jugs of laundry detergent, one jug of fabric softener, a case of toilet paper, a case package of paper towels, two 30# bags of dog food for our girl...and bag of apples. (We did get some soft cookies that we snacked on as we drove home from Amish country! So...

We spent most of the day breaking down the foods we bought and vacuum sealing them.  Then took them over to the homestead and put in the "meat" freezer...and the refrig. freezer we have there.  Then...
We filled the truck up with gas.

Then we did Aldi's (for eggs...they had a limit of 3..., bottled green tea ...for me, some bagels and container of green onion dip for tomorrow), Menards (for Abby's evening dental chews) and WM for a couple of 24 cases of Dr.Thunder, 9 dozen eggs for the same price as Aldi's and some Vit D3 (for me) and Tumeric (for hubby).  I won't say what we spent other than to say we pretty much spent it all.  We've been eating out of our pantry for 3 months now and needed to re-stock so we don't have to go shopping any more...especially if this influenza (not the corona one) continues to rage.  I looked at the flu map and it's red nearly all over the US ... but we're yellow...so far.  Either way, we just don't want to be out any more than necessary and there's still Feb, Mar and maybe Apr for the influenza season. .  

Then I used the air fryer to cook some fish, some fries and made up some cole slaw (got a bag for 84 cents).

WE'RE TIRED!

We still have some vacuum sealing to do in half gallon jars etc., for the pasta's...but we'll take care of that tomorrow.  We just needed to get the cold foods broke down and in the freezer. Wanna see?

100_1394 Crackers-chips etc.jpg

100_1398 Meats-Potatoes.jpg

100_1400 Cheese-fruits-ham-sausage crumbles.jpg

100_1402 TP-Paper Towels.jpg

100_1404 Dog food.jpg

100_1408 Apples-cookies.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, WE2.  THAT really takes some pressure off of you.  I'll bet you're tired!  But happy, right.  You endured a long siege here.  :amen:  

Jeepers... Sorry to hear your son has my stuff.  Well, no telling WHICH flu I have but the flu/bronchitis combination.  BUT being a generation younger, it's likely he's going to bounce back faster than me.  If he has bronchitis, he might have gotten the codeine cough syrup.  I also got Prednisone [steroid] to get the inflammatory reaction down.  I finished those off in the first week........long, long ago.  I have the Albuterol inhaler too.  :scratchhead:   Not sure how/when I'm supposed to use that tho...now that I'm not taking full doses.  Well, I'll see the doc again fairly soon.  :pray: that all three of them recover quickly.  I'm sure little guy is not having fun right now....meaning no one is having fun...  :(  

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeeps, cranberry powder in the capsules, and cut out sugar.  I am dead serious on this.  The cranberry will keep the bacteria from adhering to the surface of your bladder.

BECCA_ANNE!!  Hey there!  Welcome home.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The little one and mom are doing pretty well. Son has had a tough time with the coughing. He didn't tell me he was sick until he was about 80% better. I understand why. I worry. I think some people are so worried about the coronavirus that they forget how awful the "regular" flu can be. He is getting better though. He said that about two-thirds of the guys he works with were out sick last week. 

My bladder seems to be much better today. I wonder if all of that straining I did yesterday with hauling food strained it somehow? I did have blood (and a couple of :gdtmi:clots) in the urine and some spasms. Not sure how that works. I'll keep a watch on it. 

Wow We2, way to haul. Loved the pictures. That has to put your mind at ease. I did a similar thing Friday. I feel like I could stay put until spring too if I had to. Except for perishables which would be a luxury. I have canned fruit and veggies to get me through. 

I do have one trip to Sam's Club tomorrow for lysol, bleach wipes, paper towels and baby shampoo.  Also a big can of Nido milk. I need a hair cut too. Mine is about two inches past my bra strap and is getting on my nerves. I want it shoulder length and layered. Something easy to manage. Wish I could cut my own. I'm not at all particular but I can't do the back. I only go get it cut once every other year or so. And some quick errands and banking to do. I'd like to stop in B. B. & B. to look for a difuser. Mine stopped working. I would be nice to go in Best Buy to look at computers but I'm pretty sure my strength won't last that long.  

Ambergris, I just saw this. I have some cranberry capsules from the last bout of this. I'll start them back up today! I have a bottle of cranberry juice that I can get down. It tastes so bitter to me but I can do it. Sugar isn't a big issue for me. I don't really have a big sweet tooth. Maybe about 2-3 sweet teas a week is it. If I have pop, it's sugar free. I rarely eat, pie, cake, cookies etc. I like them but I don't crave them. They just aren't on my radar. I like tangy food. 

• Like 2