MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Ambergris, I thot of using boiling water to soak it.  So far I'm just using time....and a weight on the lid so she doesn't self-serve.  That portion was well soaked tho.  :buttercup:  If I need to rush the soaking, I'll try that!  

It's SUNNY B)  today!  :amen:    So far I'm feeling better.  Have knocked some MEGA 6' icicles off the roof line that are threatening.  Like weighing down the window swamp cooler.   What are those huge swords from olde Scotland?  Bigger than those..hanging overhead from gutters.   I usually keep opening windows or going around the house.... knocking them off before they get so HUGE.  We're real bad for icicles cuz of our warm up daytime and frigid nights...and my lack of vigilance this year.  The whole gutter system and French drain is full of ice....melt in spring.  That's normal.  The melting is going to be a HUGE problem ...as soon as it stops snowing and begins melting in earnest.  I got ice off the Internet dish ....happens to be mounted where I can reach it with extended-handled duster...out the window....GENTLY.   Sun had been loosening it.

So that icicles knocking, plus easy breakfast will be the extent of my exertions for a while.  Back To Bed To Rest...   This is like it was when I had mono.  :buttercup:   Thanking God for Internet and phone.  Dog ate soaked kibble and ...so far, so good.

MtRider  ....nice to see sunshine!  A foot of new snow, pretty....if you don't have to deal with it.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I was out and about again today. So, I stopped in a different Wal-Mart. I got a few more supplies that I may or may not need. I usually only buy things I know I use. But I did get some Nido powdered milk. It'll be good for cereal or cooking with. I got the small cans so I won't have to open one big can. 

Mostly I was just on a recon mission. Smile. This Wal-Mart had the same bleach issues as the other one did. The only Clorox they had was the scented kind and not a lot of that. They had about a dozen Great Value jugs. I did find some Lysol...finally! I got some spray cans and some of the liquid cleaner. I almost picked up some of the Clorox cleaning wipes. I looked at the package and it said it did not contain bleach. I thought Clorox was synonymous with bleach. I looked a little more and found some Lysol wipes. No brown bottles of Lysol though. Anyone remember Purex? Wonder if they still make bleach products. 

A lot of the laundry soap was missing in this WM too. Especially Arm And Hammer brand. Dawn dish liquid was pretty low too. I'm just not used to seeing empty looking shelves. 

That WM had a few more frozen veggies. Still no Brussel Sprouts seasoned with cracked pepper. There were a lot of empty spaces. The canned veggies were obviously spaced out. Soup section was low too. As was the canned fruit. Some things on the shelves were in bad shape. Smashed or dented containers. I wouldn't buy them. They made the store look bad. 

Not a lot of sugar on the shelf. Some of the bags looked older. I forgot to look at flour. I went past the beans and rice but there was a worker doing something to the shelf so I didn't try to nose around. I wonder if they are taking inventory? Could explain the empty shelves...I suppose. 

Fresh fruit and veggies looked good. I imagine a lot of them come for South/Central America though. 

I didn't wander into any other departments. I'm trying to learn to pace myself so I don't get weak and faint-ish. I've had two pretty good days of running around. Don't want to press my luck. 

I called the city about my mailbox this morning. They were nice and sent some guys out to fix it. They did a good job too. I told her I was a senior and couldn't pick it up. That was the truth. The box and post was uprooted. They only do that for seniors. I'll call tomorrow and thank them. When I was out, I noticed a lot of mailboxes were knocked over or shattered. If the snow plow driver would just slow down a little...

• Like 1

Been raining off and on all day today. Weather was in 60's for a while and then started cooling down and damp. DH is not a happy camper this evening. He has to go have the ultra sound on liver and doc called and said liver counts are still up and wants more lab work. The lab work is what he's not happy with. Seems he has had labs every week for the past 3 or 4 weeks now. He will get over it. We need to find out what is going on. :pray:

This afternoon I did a bit of house work and decided to do some reading. Read Bible and also a book that I started called Wormwood. Interesting book, but not sure about it. Not really into space stuff. 

Seems every evening is when my throat decides to get scratchy.  This to shall pass. Seems I am starting to get some of my energy back though. I think it is just sinus drainage. 

Glad you're feeling well enough to be out and about, Jeepers.  :) 

Clorox wipes  ....NOT A BLEACH PRODUCT.  I know, surprised me too years ago.  I've been saying this for years to be careful.  If you NEED a bleach product for a NOROVIRUS, get a bottle of bleach and use gloves.  Norovirus had a protective shell that alcohol doesn't get thru.  [it's one of the viruses that have vomiting]  I don't think you need full strength bleach either...but I don't know the ratio. 

That's WHY the wipes are not bleach.  All the wipes and hand sanitizing gels  [even Clorox] is alcohol-based.  Bleach isn't good on your hands.  Alcohol dries out our hands but bleach ....need gloves.

Fortunately, unless this coronavirus is an exception to the other coronaviruses they've studied, either bleach or alcohol based products will work for sanitizing

AND THERE IS ALWAYS SOAP AND WATER....  ;)   {cuz I keep forgetting we don't always need to get complicated} 

What's the active ingredient in Lysol?? 

MtRider  :dishes: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Seems every evening is when my throat decides to get scratchy

We have to keep our humidifier running during winter months.  When the furnace is running so much to keep the house warm, we lose a lot of the humidity that our mucus membranes need.  Just sharing...

• Like 1

Not a bad weather day...but still "grounded".  I washed a load of laundry this afternoon so I'll go with hubby tomorrow to get them dried.  He took our girl out for a walk when he got home to give her some exercise.  Tomorrow we've got rain/snow on the agenda but we'll still go with hubby.  I need to get the laundry done up because we'll be delivering flower Thursday and Friday, then our family is having a get-together Saturday....brother is starting chemo Friday and will have to go through it for 2 years...stage 4.  If his body tolerates the chemo, they say 2 to 5 years. Prayer will be much appreciated that his body will accept the infusions and that he shall live and not die, and that he shall rise up and declare the works of the Lord!

Continued prayers for your brother We2.  :pray:

The active ingredient in Lysol is Benzalkonium Chloride. The spray can says it kills the 99.9% of viruses and bacteria. The liquid says that it doesn't lose its effectiveness even when diluted. :shrug:

About once a month I use straight bleach on my counter tops. Pour some on and wipe it up with my dish rag. Then I swipe It down with water.  It removes stubborn stains and sanitized the cloth. I'm not very sensitive though. My counter tops are laminate stuff. I'd be careful with more expensive stone or designer tops.  

Amazon still has original Lysol in the brown bottle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

:pray: for all.

We got rain Monday evening.  Clouds Tuesday.  As the storm moved east, it turned to snow through NM & into TX. MIL got snow yesterday.  

Storm is finally settling in a bit and gaining a little weight.  He follows me every.where I go!  Velcro is his nickname.  Lol. 

Your conversation about WM... it’s my go to store 99% of the time.  Safeway and the little markets are usually .50 cents to a dollar more, per product, unless I decide to drive 100 miles round trip, then, the gasoline eats any savings I might have gained.  One thing I have noticed, WM does online shopping & the customer come & pick it up in their parking lot.  The employees fill a cart with their orders... etc.  They get in my way and annoy me.  :animal0017:Lol.  The stockers are having a hard time re-stocking the shelves quick enough.  I know several of the people who work there and they like to talk... Small community life.

Frosty this morning, around 40* on the house.  I have the gardening bug.  Re-planted tomato seeds in my starter cups inside.  Hopefully, they will grow quickly. We were able to have beet greens the other day, the beets seem to like being trimmed.  I also am planning to plant more beets in the big garden.  Keeping myself busy, as always, too much to do, not enough time or energy.  

Storm is smiling .....  

72983112-28E1-4AD8-ABC2-12E3A4CC2F4F.jpeg

• Like 4

Well, Mr. Storm has a lot to smile about! I was hoping there would be a picture of him. Such a handsome dude. 

I wanted to ask a WM employee about the shelves but the right opportunity never presented itself. I'd love to see the back room storage area.

One other thing I noticed was there are a lot of items on the top shelves. I'd think they would pull those items down to help fill out the shelves. The last few times I shopped there I had to ask for help getting an item down. I'm 5'2" so I get it, but even some of the taller men struggled. Sometimes I've had to step up on the bottom shelf and do a little hop trying to reach things. Then duck for the incoming objects. That's a no-no but I don't have the energy to hunt down an employee. If the first row of items on the top shelf is sold...then forget it. I'd think those top shelf items would be for overflow. 

There was still plenty of bottled water but I can't buy the 24 packs. I can't lift them into the cart. I could ask for help but I'd still have to get them in and out of the Jeep. I end up getting 6 packs which is probably more expensive. 

The laundry aisle seems to be the most effected in both stores I was in. The clothing area looked full. I didn't really look. I just noticed it while going to the food department. 

• Like 1

WE2 Praying for your brother to get through this.  I know it can be very hard on family. 

My sore throat and sinus drainage has turned out to be an ear infection that is draining down.  Taking antibiotic drops in the ear for it now. I should have known that was what was wrong as my ears where getting a bit sore.  We have hot water baseboard heat so with that we don't need the humidifier. But if we use the fireplace then we use it. As the fireplace can dry the air out.

Ann,  Storm looks really happy.  She he knows he has a good home that will take good care of him. So far we have no snow this winter.  But we have had our worst snows in March before. So hoping that won't happen this winter. 

Took DH to get his ultra sound and then back to doctor for more lab work.  He is worn out.  Ultra sound took about an hour.  Haven''t desided if it's a girl or boy yet.:24:  Yes he had to go to the women's center for it. That is where they do all the test for both men and women. So why they call it the women's center is beyond me. 

Haven't been home long.  Fixed DH  some lunch and got him settled and put more drops in ears. Just what I don't need. Going to take it easy today.

Still haven't been to Walmart yet.  Maybe will go next week. I am trying to slow down my store trips as it seems I am in one all the time when I am looking for cheap specials for the food ministry. And I am trying to use up some of the food I already have and not ready to replace anything yet.  Got the freezer in kitchen down a lot now. But the monster chest freezer in garage is still over flowing. Will go through that one and bring some meat into the freezer in kitchen and see what is out there I can get in the canner. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, that's my WM on a usual day anymore.   My local WM does not plan well for the food stamp rush at the beginning of the month nor the end of the month rush to use WIC checks.   Their reordering system is not set up well either.   For months, I kept trying to buy DD's toothpaste there.  There was one on the shelf, and it was already opened so I wasn't buying that one.   We checked back regularly.  Still just the opened one on the shelf.  Finally I asked an employee and she looked it up on the handheld scan device thing she had.  She said there was still one in the store.   I took her to the shelf.  She said she'd let her manager know.  Apparently because that one hadn't been sold yet, their system wasn't ordering more.  <_<

DD and I are over the flu.   We're both still weak from it.   At least now we are better prepared (hopefully there's not a next time, though!). 

:pray: for healing for everyone.  This has been a rough winter on us all.

• Like 3

I didn't go to Wal-Mart today. :008Laughing:

I had planned to go to Best Buy computer shopping today but I have my days and nights mixed up again. I slip into that pattern so easily. It's not too bad when I don't have to to keep "bankers hours" but most businesses don't care about my sleeping issues. :mornincoffee:  Time to think about a week on Ambien again. 

We are supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow so I might be grounded for a few days. Every time I plan to go computer shopping I get sick or something comes up. 

I want to go to Lehman's soon to get a roll of canning jar lids. I got a roll of the *dice mouth kids because that is what I use the most. I forgot that I plan to can a lot of half pint corn, peas and green beans and those jars are regular mouth jars.

I hate kindle auto correct I typed *wide mouth lids up there. I really do need a laptop. 

• Haha 4

"Oh Marigold!"  LOL  That's what my auto correct put in my brother's text the other day!  No idea what he was trying to say.

Mostly just had housework type jobs this week so far.

Helped work on organizing shoes at Church last night. This ministry has 35 boxes of clothes and shoes (separated by size) ready to donate.

We went to our homeowner's insurance agent today to get a quote on flood insurance, in case the mortgage company force places a policy, which we are still unsure of. He answered several questions that we had, so good talk!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL Miki. Every time I type Ambergris,  Kindle auto correct makes it "Annette is."

Glad you had a good talk with the insurance guy. Hope and pray your insurance doesn't go up very much! :pray:

If you do have to get it, I'd get the cheapest they offer since your actual house isn't in the flood zone. And to keep the bank off of your backs. 

We slept in today. Raining but warm.  DH got up at 12:30. I had to wake him up.  I was up by 9 am. Felt good to sleep in this morning. Didn't really get a lot done around house today.  Things I was going to do got put off.  Filled DH's medicine weekly planner box. Fixed lunch as breakfast got missed. Then later went to Harris Teeter to pick up RX's and buy the sales for food ministry. They had fruit on sale for 88 cents and I thought it was the 15 oz. size. Nope it was the little tiny cans. So passed on that and got canned beans for 88 cents instead. Got the peanut butter for 99 cents and some macaroni for 79 cents.  So that puts us up enough to get through this month.  Not going to do much this evening but tomorrow a bit of running around. My RX is coming in tomorrow. So back to Harris Teeter for that. Might wait till Sat. to pick it up.  My car will be ready tomorrow and they will call when I can pick it up. So that has to be done and I can take rental car back. So for today that is about all I have done.  Seems like a lazy day today. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

If you do have to get it, I'd get the cheapest they offer since your actual house isn't in the flood zone. And to keep the bank off of your backs. 

When he called us, he said he can't even do a quote without a new flood certification ($400 - $2000 or more).  Guess we will wait and see what happens next.  Sigh!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Sad 3

Went to see my own, regular doc yesterday & to get my chemo port flushed.  No chemo anymore, but figured I would leave the port in place for emergency use as it is much easier to access than my contrary veins.  Doc was astounded - she had never seen me stand upright - and I am taller than most of the ladies in her office now.  She was happy with the wound healing, and ordered some blood tests as i am running a low grade fever and she wants to see the blood counts to rule out (or handle) any low grade infection.  

It is nice standing upright again - looking folks in the eye instead of craning my neck to talk to their belt buckles (yes I was THAT bent).  I look much younger, too, I guess all the saggy parts are now hanging down the proper direction, lol.  I will be released next Wed and Chainsaw Mary/Warrior Woman is anxious to get me sprung as soon as possible.  She does not like being alone all that much.  After that we picked up some Zaxbys chicken and ate at home so I could see the pets...and they could also see ME.  What a reception!  It was hard to leave again but the end is in sight.

I can do most things now for day to day living - I need a sock putting on aid to put on socks, but can handle just about everything else, so I keep working hard in therapy (30 min physical 30 min occupational) lifting weights and working to correct the  muscle imbalances resulting from being crooked so long.  Ironically I am the only cheerful patient the therapists have.  Everybody else moans & groans about how sore they are, how weak they are, how they are tired.....anything to avoid working out.  Don't know how they expect to get better with all the foot dragging, but hey, not my job to worry about that.  Those workouts could be fun if they wanted them to be....imagine a line of old folks line-dancing to exercise their legs....or even doing the hokey pokey.....but everybody is too busy griping about how they cant do it instead of figuring out a way so they can.  What a waste of resources and time.  Oh well....

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, kappydell said:

It is nice standing upright again - looking folks in the eye instead of craning my neck to talk to their belt buckles (yes I was THAT bent). 

Whoa.....what a lovely blessing that you found a doc with a way to correct that!!  :amen:   Fantastic!  :pray: for your last rehab days and for Chainsaw Mary/Warrior Woman too.  [sometimes I wonder what she thinks of us....LOL]  

:pray:  for Miki and the flood paperwork.  That something will YET be decided in their favor on the TRUTH OF FLOOD ZONES! 

Glad you get your own vehicle back soon, Lil Sister.

Jeeper's auto-correct. :008Laughing:   I about coughed myself silly after :coffeescreen:   Sometimes ya just gotta believe they program auto-correct for entertainment purposes.  Cuz....ya know.....they wouldn't do it to annoy you or anything......  :unsure:  Right? 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:pray: for your last rehab days and for Chainsaw Mary/Warrior Woman too.  [sometimes I wonder what she thinks of us....LOL]  

She thinks highly of you and I share what I post with her.  If I do not mention it for a couple of days she asks "whats going on at Mrs S?'  She admires the self reliance and optimism of "the ladies" and considers herself one of the Mrs S family as do I so I'm hoping nobody minds that I read posts from everyone to her.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

I feel like Mary is already one of us! We follow along with her 'prep' experiences and what she is doing to improve on the property. And she has lots of good ideas too. We think about her often, especially when you are out of commission or when she is alone. We follow her through you. She is welcome here anytime. I don't mind at all of you read anything from here to her. Love ya Chainsaw Mary. :hug3:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, kappydell said:

Everybody else moans & groans about how sore they are, how weak they are, how they are tired.....anything to avoid working out.  Don't know how they expect to get better with all the foot dragging, but hey, not my job to worry about that.  Those workouts could be fun if they wanted them to be....imagine a line of old folks line-dancing to exercise their legs....or even doing the hokey pokey.....but everybody is too busy griping about how they cant do it instead of figuring out a way so they can.  What a waste of resources and time.  Oh well....

Had that with my mom yesterday. I brought her home from her first PT eval for her shoulder. She tossed the exercises  to the side and starting looking for her TV remote. She wonders why I get so frustrated at her rapid decline. You can take the horse to the water trough .....   :grinning-smiley-044:

Welcome back to the land of the living. It's an exciting life if you make it exciting.  :hapydancsmil:

2 hours ago, Homesteader said:

You can take the horse to the water trough .....

.....and when they refuse to drink, ya wanna push them in!!!!  :whistling:      Having two older folks myself....well, only one of them is difficult.  AND :blush:....I remember being that 'horse' myself back in early days of MS.....    Only I was doing too much. .....but I don't do THAT anymore....  :grinning-smiley-044:

9 hours ago, kappydell said:

She thinks highly of you and I share what I post with her.  If I do not mention it for a couple of days she asks "whats going on at Mrs S?'  She admires the self reliance and optimism of "the ladies" and considers herself one of the Mrs S family as do I so I'm hoping nobody minds that I read posts from everyone to her.  

Not a bit.  Even if she's never posted herself, she surely is one of us....an honorary member!!!  :grouphug:  And can come on board herself and talk to us anytime if she wants!   She's like us....with shovels and rakes, kitties and pups, even chainsaws and bludgeoning tools when needed!  Glad she doesn't mind her nicknames...  They're given with high honors!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, kappydell said:

It is nice standing upright again - looking folks in the eye instead of craning my neck to talk to their belt buckles (yes I was THAT bent). 

You must have looked even crazier than I (or anyone else here) imagined when you were in the street directing traffic!!!   :rolleyes: ;) :whistling: