MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

It was with a heavy heart that I finally excepted the realization that it wasn't going to happen for me. It has officially been cancelled. I've had the tickets in my cart for nearly a month. I kept waiting to hit that "Buy Now" button. There was talk of a virus but how bad could it be? Plus the venue was an open air stadium. Where the Cleveland Browns play. Right by The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame on the lake front. I had two tickets in my cart. I was on the aisle and I had the other seat beside me empty. I was on the field, in the center, and 15 rows back. They were expensive but I didn't need the money for anything else more important to me. Ha! I've seen them a couple of times before but we both are getting older and who knows how long we can keep up this pace. Poor old Mick. He would have to sing through a mask and Keith would have to play his guitar with rubber gloves on. Charlie could probably pull it off on the drums. And Ronnie is just a pretty face anyway. Oh yeah, we are on first name bases. It would still be worth it. But at our age...sigh.

Did you know I actually sang with the Rolling Stones. And was their backup dancer? Well, not exactly on stage. I was in the stands. But singing and dancing my little heart out right along with them. Even did a little guitar playing with Keith. Mine was an air guitar but still... It all counts.

So the Rolling Stones have cancelled their 2020 tour and I'm sad. Glad I hesitated buying the tickets and having to wait to get a refund. Also glad I didn't spend that extra money. It went for a new canner, canning jars and jar lids. And food and medicine. Truth be told, I would have rather seen the Stones again. One more time.

But as they so wisely said, "You can't always get what you want."  :yar:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Jeepers...we've found jars at Menards when other stores were out. 

Today hubby worked up the other 4x12 raised bed and then I raked the dirt around (lovely black dirt!) and he sorted out the grass clippings pretty much.  Hopefully I'll plant the rest of the potatoes tomorrow. I also raked up the weeds and roots he drug up and put them in a pile to take to the city's recycle yard.  Drove out there just to check and they are open, but only to dump debri.  No compost for sale.

Pulled my mini-green house off the front porch and set it in the garden area and tied it to one of the awning's post so it won't blow away.  Hopefully hubby will find the new one (he bought at a yard sale last year...for 10$) and I'll get it snugged down also.  

Our local pantry's "food kitchen" sent out an announcement that they were serving hot lunches from 11:30 to ???  Anyway, out of curiosity we drove there.  Got two hot meals...tuna in pasta, peas, and bread pudding.  Not bad for hot and free.  You just walk to the door and they hand the food out to you in styrafoam containers.  Maybe not what some would do...but if we can save on our own food right now...we figure we're ahead of the soup and bread lines that might come later???  The salvation army also serves lunch, but we tried that several years ago and they served "swill"...just won't eat that stuff!

Had to hunt up some sun block though...even though we both wear straw hats and gloves, my arms and neck were exposed...and I was shocked at how my skin was almost translucent from being inside most of the winter!  So glad the sun has decided it's spring and wants to shine!

Since we had a pretty big lunch, we just ate sandwiches and chips for supper. EZ since we were both tired from working outside most of the day and no dishes to wash :cheer: 

• Like 3

As for the buzz haircuts...I'll come near murdering my hubby if he did that!  He's got the most beautiful, silver white hair and I love it.  It's naturally curly in the back and would make anybody jealous...especially me!  I goofed up a couple of months ago and cut about 3 inches off my hair (myself) and then put in some layers.  Never again!  I'll be letting it grow back down and keep it all one length.  I just finished cutting another half inch off to let the other stuff catch up.  I don't wear bangs (hate them!) so cutting long hair is easy for me.  I just part it down the back, pull each side forward and fasten it with a rubber band...then do the "feather cut" with my scissors...on each side.  The level off the back.  Works for me.

Wanted to give a praise report.  As many of you are aware, one of my younger brothers is fighting lung and throat cancer, which is stage 4 (involves some lymph nodes). They told him that if the chemo worked, he'd have 2-5 years.  Well they did a CT scan last week and the tumor has shrunk, FROM THE INSIDE OUT!  I and many others have been praying, and I've been specific in prayer asking Jehovah to stick His finger in those cancer cells and kill them...in Jesus' Name!  Can I get a hallelujah? Just can't pray any other way my friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mary & I did another top up run....I got early refills on my meds so we can stay isolated as this virus thing does ITS thing.  Got some flowers for our front yard wicking pots....Mary wants something pretty, and so do I.  Pulled up the winter kale (trying to bolt) and ate a nice big salad from the lettuce planted in Dec.  Nice & curly & crisp.....black seeded simpson, I think.  the romaine is also getting to picking size.   Pulled a couple onions and chopped up some of the winter's radishes still in the fridge topped it off with some savoy cabbage for texture.  Kitchen sink salad my hubby used to call it.  Tastes like springtime!  

Our freezers are both full so we concentrated on things for the pantry shelves and on pet foods.  Mary did not want to wait until tomorrow when my pension check and her social security check arrives....she thinks it will be a mob scene tomorrow so we went today.  I have med tests tomorrow anyway, trying to find out why my ankles are so swollen.  Lasix (water pills) does not seem to help either, so hopefully tests will help us figure it out.  Hoping I can get rid of the Lasix....I don't want my blood pressure getting too low now.  And yes, there is such a thing as too low, LOL.  

Rainy and blustery this evening; we will have to turn the heat on tonight.  And WE2's you can certainly get a halleluia from me and a sung Gloria as well!  What wonderful news!!  Even in these dark days there are miracles if we but see them...

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kappydell said:

she thinks it will be a mob scene tomorrow

I bet she is right!  I'm going to wait a week or so for the Walmart run.  Nothing I have to have right now or ever if push comes to shove!  We will see in the days ahead!

• Like 1

My SIL hasn't been able to find dry yeast. Even her Amazon searches came up empty. Her local store runs out shortly after the small packets are stocked. She asked me yesterday if I had any ideas. I told her to call Gordan Food Service in Madison. They had plenty in the 1# vacuum-packed packages. She thought it was only commercial sales. NOPE! She picked up a few other items and told me all about it today. Sometimes, we need alternatives. Walmart and Target are not reliable these days.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4

Yes We2  :cele:  Hallelujah!

I had very good luck at Gordon Food Service last week. Ours is pretty small but well stocked. Amazon is hit or miss these days. Plus their 2 day Prime shipping is more like 2 weeks. I understand why. But some of their shipping dates are way out there and too many things are sold out.  

The only thing I cant find anywhere is Zinc tablets. I still have some but I'd like another bottle.

• Like 2

WE2s.....that is fabulous news on your brother.  :amen:  :amen:   How is he reacting to that?

:lol:  Jeepers and your Rolling Stones buddies...  Next year when this is all a bad memory? 

OK.... :sSig_thankyou:   all for steering me back to LEON and his wicking container gardening.  I'd seen it a few years ago but couldn't remember much.  From 2AM  [when our Internet usage is free]  to 5AM.... I was hanging out with Leon.  I've now refreshed my memory and have taken a lot of notes.  All that is doable except I don't think we have all the NUTRIENT stuff.  Some of it but Goood Grief it will take some moving stuff to access it in basement/garage.  And if I keep having :0327:   days.....  Hmph!

I did walk again today.  It was SUNNY!  :bounce:   So we took off for the Nat. Forest again.  Dog loved it.  I got the rest of the gummy mud off my boots.  FRESH AIR...SUNSHINE.......  :sigh:   I'm coughing and DH has stiff neck/headache.  That's always his preliminary signs of Microbe Attack In Progress.  Sheeeeeeeesh!   The only germs we can have are sharing back and forth!  And we AIR out the house almost every day [except frigid/snow days] for the past 3 wks.  

AND.....the burner element for the oven of our electric stove......SIZZLED, SPARKED WHITE, and died tonite.  DH was preheating for banana bread.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Soooooo he's TRYING to "bake" it in the Instant Pot.  :scratchhead:    Not sure if that will work but it was already all mixed up with baking soda, etc.  I suggested trying for pancakes.  We'll see.  BUT....will J and B want to come inside our house to repair in the middle of this isolation?  Will we want them to?  Are oven burner elements ....plug and play....so we could just do it if they brought us one?  Baking in the Dutch oven with campfire ....altho safe cuz we're snowy and wet.....would not be a good time.  :campfire:  Charcoal inside the kettle grill like Boy Scouts do?  :shrug:  

My MINN friend called with news of her week:  4 upchucking cats and her basement leaked again.  Didn't even have rain....only melting snow.  Not as bad as the major rain/flood last year.  But she's not quite done sorting from that mess.  Had to lift all the old tile which took months to accomplish around the furnishings and intermittent help.  This flood wasn't damaging things since she'd only put down rugs she could move and wash.  She's pleased with that foresight. 

I'm going to bed EARLY tonite....maybe....

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

There are still some left. I might check back in a week or so. I don't want to empty the shelf but if no one else wants them I do.

If you have enough, leave them for others. I know that I have many canning family members who are working non-stop in the healthcare industry. They can only slip out occasionally and pick up supplies. They would be thrilled to see lids left by others.   :grouphug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have plenty of lids now. The drugstore I go to is a little local store. Discount Drug Mart. Most people don't even think about them. They go to their grocery store pharmacy or the big box chains. They are really off the radar for most folks. They are just a couple of blocks from my house. I try to support the local-ish businesses. I go there to pick up odds and ends. There are still at least 200 boxes of both regular and wide mouth lids left. Must be a holdover from last year. 

• Like 4

Annarchy,  So glad you were able to get that insurance straight. Now you can rest easy. 

Getting bills ready to mail and heading to bank tomorrow to cash a check for DH. Getting the first of month stuff done so I will know how much money I have for things I need this month. Need to pay off a charge card when it comes in as I used it to buy the tiller and also for the long distance housewarming for my granddaughter. No way are my daughter and I going to be flying to Washington State for a housewarming. Not a good idea right now. Just wish she and her DH was stationed here this time around. But maybe in 3 or 4 years they might. We never know till the time comes where they might end up.  One of our neighbors that got transferred to CA has now been transferred to FL. He thought he was coming back here, but military had other ideas. 

• Like 3

Went for more tests today per my Primary doc....she took one look at my swollen ankles and sent me for heart tests.  Also put me on Lasix but it has had

no effect on the swelling.  I can only imagine the next step will be to go to a heart doc.  :sigh:    Hospital was pretty locked down, but I find the smell of disinfectant reassuring.  

Rain has passed, Mary went to get garden dirt so we can start working those new pots.  Here are pics of last years pots (and she bought 6 more, lol) but wants flowers in them all so I guess I will be using kitty litter pails for my onions & salad stuff.  The main garden is planted nearly full.  Phase two will start when sweet potatoes come in.  Mary does not like okra so it also got bumped into the kitty pail pot division.  No problems, we have LOTS of those things and are emptying more all the time, LOL.

our wicking pots from last year.....more in the works1760085671_2019wickpots.thumb.jpg.b10604b524efe21011dc2f3d2c26f9bd.jpg

this is the garden as of this morning - lettuce on left side about halfway back; left front is onions & kohlrabi.  New stuff everywhere else...

2119508294_aprilgarden.thumb.jpg.75595b9aadb29831a3d7c3553cb8e344.jpg

Marys flowers, so far.....awaiting transplanting....into the stack of pots to their left except for the one I am saving for a rose bush

1374765145_marysflowers.thumb.jpg.574ce29fadef67ad1203430147bab2aa.jpg

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

So much for waiting a week or so! 

This morning, I headed to Kroger for a ham @ 99 cents a pound. Since it is the first of the month, thought I would drive by Walmart and see how much of a circus it was. Parking lot was dead at 9:15 AM. I went in, did my monthly shop--they had everything I needed-- and was out in about 45 minutes. I think that's a record for me! Everyone was polite and practicing the social distancing gig. They did have toilet paper. I just wasn't there for that. I did not see lysol spray or clorox wipes. I think everyone thought like I did and that it would be crazy. So glad it was not. I came home and disinfected everything, including myself.

Went for my walk, came home and made a turkey pot pie and paid the monthly bills. That's it for today. Won't be going back to Walmart for at least a month. Yay!

I did stop at Kroger afterwards and got the ham and that was all! Ham was $2.19 a pound at Walmart

• Like 4

Yes those pictures look great.  I saw in the sales about Kroger having the hams for 99 cent. I would love to buy one but to much salt and DH can't have it.  But that is a great price. 

Went out to take trash to curb and it felt so eerie.  No one anywhere. Very quiet neighborhood. No children nothing.  Then just a few minutes ago a family was walking down the street.  

Need to get away from computer during the day as I am getting ready to start taken down curtains and blinds to get washed. Need to wash the windows inside and out. Going to be a busy couple of days. And as soon as the tiller gets here we will be getting the garden ready to plant. Will try to catch up at night. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Our local pantry's "food kitchen" sent out an announcement that they were serving hot lunches from 11:30 to ???

Won't go there anymore.  I was sitting in the van with the window down and some dude walked up right to my window to "admire" the van...telling me how rare they are and that they're selling for premium dollars in Minnosota, and not in near as good a shape as ours.  Too close for comfort...so...we're staying home!  Fixed some wonderful chicken noodle soup!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

"bake" it in the Instant Pot.

Yes, I've done it...miniature cake...do NOT put anything over the top. The air will suck it right up into the element.  Ask me how I know!

• Thanks 2

Home on rotation from work today.

Went shopping early to avoid crowds and patched a few holes in preps.

Started some seeds for the garden.

Caught up with a couple friends via text messaging — social distancing and all.

Made salmon with rice, veggies and rolls for dinner.

• Like 2

Seared a nice sized roast this morning before we left to go the homestead, and got a pot roast into the crock pot for supper.  VERY nice to come home to!

Got the 2nd 4x12 raised bed and the last of the 'taters planted and watered in as well as wired over so no cats or birds can try to dodoo or take a dirt bath in it. He took his weed burner and took care of all the weeds around the outside of the beds.  Talk about smoke! LOL  Betcha it sent the skeeters on their way ... if they were any where around!  I keep a garden sprayer of water beside him just in case we need to put something out.  Still watered it down when he was finished though.

Got the two mini green houses out, hubby put the new one together for me...I'll be starting some seeds tomorrow. Clyde's garden planner says another week, Farmer's Almanac says now...so I'm going to push the envelope and get them started.  I looked at our weather for the next week or two and it doesn't look like there's any frost anywhere in sight.  Besides...if I see it's going to go too low, I'll put the plastic hoods over them.  The containers are pretty easy to cover in bad weather.  Just a screen or an old sheet.  For the 5 gallon buckets...I learned a couple of years ago that the splatter screens at $Tree fit perfectly over the tops and keeps flying things off the the new plants and roots.  I use DE around the bottom of all my containers to prevent creepy crawlies...especially snails and/or slugs...or ???

Hubby worked his tail off and has just about dug out all the old cane and roots from the old blackberries.  Couldn't find any new growth...looks like they're all dead?  We do see new life in the Raspberries though.

The neighbors 2 blocks south of us had about 10 kiddo's out playing on a trampoline and having a ball.  Not one curse word heard!  Must have been family members?  Looks like most of the parents are keeping their children at home in their own yards.  Just don't see them out period??? 

Let Abby-girl in the garden area...she just knows there's a rabbit somewhere in there! LOL  She loves taking a drink from the faucet that's on our rain barrels.  

• Like 4

Woke not feeling too good but not too bad either.  :shrug:  Chill on my back all day.  :tapfoot:  Increased the VitC again.

Called J and B about the oven element.  J said to see if it would come out and replacement would snap in....  Called her back.  Nope, it will be something done from the back...pulling stove out.  In 20+ years, that stove hasn't moved.  Shudder to think whats all behind there with mice, etc.  :gaah: 

So we tried to figure out HOW to do this safely.  J/B are isolating ....being older than us.  And we are ...and yet are passing 'cold' back and forth.  None of us really want to "gather" but ....we don't really want to be without the oven.  Couple wks ok; months..not so much.  But it's beyond what DH and I want to attempt - - - this not being our house or our stove.  No repairman will do it cuz of COVID.  :scratchhead: 

J asked me:  How do you always get such ODD situations?  Referring to the Threatening Icicle, flooding almost in back door, and other events in the past 2 decades.  :lol:  Riiight?  J, it's ALWAYS like this in my life!!!  Everyone who knows me had noticed that.  But thankfully, the ODD isn't always bad.  Sometimes its very good....but still very ODD!  :amen:  

Final plan:  DH found the part on line after I'd practically crawled inside the oven to SEE the part number.  He ordered that and we'll subtract the amount from rent check to owners.  J/B will come out at some point after part is delivered.  I will supply them with new N95 masks cuz they don't have any.  DH and I will also be wearing masks.  AND... :(  ..DH and I will have to clear clutter in TINY kitchen area so as to make room for the stove to come out.....and clean as much as possible before that even happens.  {pssst, I NEED to clean the oven too! :blush: .....been meaning to do that when I have energy!  } 

Meanwhile.....we do have a portable roaster/oven but no place to put it.  :shrug:   Probably won't bother bringing it from storage.

AND we feel like idiots!!!  The erstwhile banana bread was a total flop in the Instant Pot.  Didn't get your advice last nite, WE2.  Had lid on and it didn't bake.  BUT the tragedy was ....we SHOULD HAVE JUST PUT IT INTO THE BREADMAKER!  :gaah:   I thot of that this afternoon.  Hate to waste food .....esp. good food!  :yum3:  

Today has been rather frustrating.  Not feeling well and brain took a vacation without me.  Hmph!  I HATE using up my energy constantly on these projects related to the house/property that isn't ours.  We've always had to do a lot when things here need repair.  Ach, this too shall pass.....after it's used up MORE of my energy.  I want to use my energy to start seeds and such!  :lois: 

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 4

I had to go out for a doctor appointment so I stopped at the Aldi by his office on the way home.   I don't like it as much as the one on the other side, but I picked up a few more shelf stable items to fill round out my spreadsheet numbers where they should be.  I'm not bothering with anything else that has to be frozen because my freezers are FULL.  Both the one on the fridge bottom and the upright are completely full to  the point where things will fall out if opened.  I told DH that if he comes home with anything at all we will have to plug in the RV and use the freezer in it.  

DH had to return to work yesterday, but he took off sick today because he is feeling terrible.  Friday is his RDO, but he will have to start commuting again on Monday so we will need to make sure he has wipes and cleaner in his car for things.  I am unhappy because 90% of his day is sitting in front of autocad on the computer and phone calls--all of which could easily be telecommuted.  But the DoD says it must be one at the office location, so to the office he goes.  

Family night was last night and we played the board game Pandemic.  It was a huge hit and the kids loved playing a cooperative win/lose game.  We took a chance and ordered the no contact pizza delivery.  It went well.  (My brother is the manager for a pizza place and I feel for all the businesses hurting.)

Today there should be no rain, so I have to figure out where to plant the watermelon and maybe get the hydrangeas planted.  

• Like 5