MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Link didn't work Midnightmom but I bought a lot of jars and lids over the last two months too. For me, they were cheaper and faster using Wal-Mart online. 

The last jars I bought on Amazon 2 day shipping with Prime took over 2 weeks to be delivered. And that was last month.

I probably could have picked up a few cases at the local stores but I like the Kerr jars shape better and since I was having to pay for new ones I figured I might as well get the ones I wanted. They don't sell Kerr jars around here. 

Midnight, DH saw this issue too.  He signed us up with Butcher Box early in this siege.  I thot he was nuts cuz it's more money than shopping sales.  Then all this came down and Butcher Box said they have no more slots for new members.  :o   Oh.....  Well, we certainly do like being carnivores...  Might have to share with the folks too.  As long as BB continues to have product coming in to ship out orders....  :unsure:  

I had ZERO energy again today.  :0327:  How am I going to get anything done!!??!! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

We emptied the last of the food out of the kitchen into the guestroom and sunroom yesterday.  I finished organizing everything and am happy with the result though I plan for this to be temporary organization while I work on the kitchen .  Today we finish emptying the last of the upper cabinets from the kitchen into the living room.  Then everything is going to get a good bleaching and a spray for pest control later in the week then I can start the real work.  I found a few items I'd forgotten I had and I'm going to move a few things to the donate pile in the garage.

We made  a trip to the dump on Saturday and got rid of all the trash in the garage.  Then we moved all the extra bags of dirt and gardening items to the shed.  DH moved the dresser, chest of drawers, and nightstand from the guestroom to the garage and brought in 2 bookshelves and 2 gorilla shelves to the guestroom.  DD16 is moving into that room this summer, but we have to paint it first.  We need to either sell or donate the original furniture from that room and a large rolltop desk.  The garage looks amazing.  DH swept the walls and floors for cobwebs and rearranged a few things.  He still has his pile on the central worktable, but it seems so much bigger now.  

I am almost done crocheting the baby blanket I've been working on.  My hands hurt a bit and don't work as well as when I was younger, so it has taken longer than it used to.  I'm going for a retro 60s/70s  floral theme in the nursery.  As soon as we move DD16 downstairs, I'm going to paint that upstairs bedroom and put in some baby items.  The southwestern red room the food is in will be a lovely light blue for DD16 by July I hope.  

Mostly I'm trying to fill my head and time with projects so I have less time to focus on the crazy.  

20200420_043642.jpg

20200420_043835.jpg

20200420_043851.jpg

20200420_044322.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your picts Euphrasyne! Your crochet work is stunning! Baby's eyes will love those colors.  :cloud9:

Your pictures will help me focus on my own situation. I plan to turn one of the bedrooms into a pantry too. I've always had a basement for food storage so now I'm kind of at a loss about storing food above ground. Light won't be an issue because I can keep the window covered but I'm concerned about temperature control. The Indy house has central air but I'm not a big fan of it. At least the room will be dry which is more than I can say for the basement here in Ohio. 

• Like 2

Love that baby blanket!  So pretty!  

Walked this morning, took eBay photos, doing laundry now and will make a crazy crust veggie pizza later.

I made storm cookies last night at 9:00 pm. Actually, peanut butter cookies. I always want to bake when a storm is coming. DH gets the baking results!

• Like 3

:bounce:   We got to garden today.  :happy0203:   Wellllll, actually it's an experiment.....since literally, snow flakes were coming down as we messed with this new project.  Not a LOT of snowflakes....and the temperature registered 50*.  Yanno?  I think CO has figured out a way for us to have snow even at high temperatures.  Maybe we're going to snow ALL SUMMER!  :knary:  :frozen:   :tapfoot:  

Anyway.....there was this whole bag of potatoes in the cool, dark closet.  Allegedly only a few wks old and .....yeah, they produced an impressive amount of sprouts.  I was peeling and salvaging but the final ones are now our EXPERIMENT!  I spent hours in the free-Internet usage time [2-6AM] watching the Wick Container Guy.  Decided since the potatoes volunteered....we'd try it.  Got two big planter pots.  SuperDuctTaped the holes.  Got two very large feed bags from alfalfa pellets.....some woven plastic things.  They're long.  Put them into the pots and laid down a juice bottle with a hose in it...and the small drain holes.  Then filled in with a little soil mix.  Arranged  potatoes with long vines.  Filled up with soil mix.  Have a funnel that fits into the old hose to add water and ....ta dah!  :unsure:   'Course ya know we'll have to lug those stupid things in and out of the house for the next 6 weeks [minimum].  Even then, we'll have to cover for frost.  But they are right outside the door on the porch.  We'll see. 

Best thing:  I GOT TO GARDEN!  :lois:   Even if we're experimental cuz they're store potatoes not official seed taters.  And a new way of growing/watering.  And completely premature on the season.....  Oh well.  The education of this experiment will be worth it. 

MtRider  ....still have to get my seedling table set up - have to FIND where I carefully stored the LIGHTS!  :rolleyes: 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

store potatoes not official seed taters

It's been our experience (as well as youtube The Old Farmers Wife) that it makes no difference, they'll still give you 'taters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

premature on the season

One advantage that we found with the containers was that if we saw bad weather coming in, we were able to cover the containers (several of them in a row) with some clear plastic sheeting so that it was able to drape to the ground...then laid some bricks or stones ??? on the edges.  Saved our bacon more than one!  We have hoops for our raised beds and we do the same with them...cover with the clear plastic. Even got an unexpected snow several years ago, but our tomato plants didn't even know it was cold!  When we went out the next morning and uncovered them, there was moisture on the inside of the plastic.  Nice and toasty for them! 

• Like 2

Last night ... forgot to mention it...we dremeled our girls toe nails.  We've been trimming them with cutters but all three of us wind up tighter than a spring.  We haven't used the dremel tool for about 2 years, but decided that we didn't want to mess with the cutters anymore.  She's still not crazy about it, but it's a lot easier on all three of us.  Also...we just didn't want to take a chance "if" something happened and we got to close and couldn't stop the bleeding we'd be in a mess trying to get hold of our vet and then have to leave her outside their building in a strange crate, while they came and took her inside.  Then they'd call us when they were done, we'd have to go back and pick her up out of the crate...after they have set it outside their building.  Not for our girl if we can humanely help it!

• Like 2

Today I pulled out my onion chopper and chopped up two bags of onions, and got them triple wrapped for the freezer. Got the vacuuming done and took the trash dumpster to the street (even though it's not due until Wednesday) since it's supposed to rain and hubby won't have to mess with it "if" it rains.

Yesterday I drained one of our rain barrels watering the potatoes and new Elderberry shoots that we planted, so getting some more rain will be welcomed.

Hubby's ready to hook me up some cold water in the homestead's kitchen.  That is good.  Step by step. 

Washing some laundry to take over to the homestead in the morning.  I'll dry them there while hubby's working on the bathroom project etc., and pittle around in the garden etc.  Need to get some stuff growing but I'll need hubby to drill holes in the new mineral containers and the juice jugs before I can get started.  I may have him do that in the morning instead of the bathroom work.

• Like 3

Euphrasyne.  those pictures look like you are getting things together.  Looking good.  I love the baby blanket. The colors are nice and bright.  

Turning a bedroom into a pantry is not something I wanted to do but we had to do it. So the guest room is gone now. Though our grandson still likes to come over on weekends, he said we need the food and he likes to eat so he will sleep on couch. Gave him a choice, den or Livingroom. Might get an air mattress for him. That can go in Livingroom and give him more privacy. 

We had a bad ordeal to deal with this afternoon.  Had the greenhouse up and tied down tight. Had our seed cups in there and many had already sprouted. So we had a southern high wind that took out the greenhouse. It ripped the area for the tie downs off and down it came with all our plants turned upside down.  I managed to go out and get most of them replanted in the pots but question is rather they will survive and I don't know what some of them are now. We had tomatoes, 3 types, onions, green peppers, broccoli which we know which ones are those as the leaves are different and some other things. So if they survive now that they are on table in garage we will have a mixture of stuff growing together. We might just toss them and start over. But not sure right now. Will have to sleep on it. Was getting to close to transplanting to garden for this to be happening. First year using a greenhouse and it did great for the plants till the wind took it down. Might plant them in an area of flower beds to see what happens and replant for the bigger garden. 

DH told me to call his cousin and get about 20 lbs. of hamburger to can. So I am going to be doing that and can some carrots I got on a sell and then get chicken to can. Then I will work on canning beef for stews and soups, etc. 

Going to be a busy couple of weeks for me. Will have to go to bed early and get up early.  I got used to going to bed late and sleeping in later than I usually do. With all the canning, I need to get up by at least 5:30 or 6 am. It is something we do every winter. Stay up late and get up late. Time to change that routine again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

We2, the first and only time we cut Muffin's nails D-ex cut too close to the quick. It bled like a stuck hog. I ran and got some flour and dipped her foot in it. It stopped the bleeding right away. Scared us half to death. Never tried that again. That was way before someone thought of using a Dremel type tool. She had black nails which made it even harder. She was just a puppy but we never messed with her nails again. It really traumatized D-ex. The pup...not so much. 

• Like 1

Sorry your greenhouse took a tumble. That so discouraging. Did the greenhouse make it or is it destrroyed? Same thing happened to a friend of mine last year. She would have cried if she hadn't been so mad. 

3 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

She had black nails

Several of Abby's are black too.  The last time (about 6 months ago) that hubby clipped, he got too close and like you said...it really hit the fan.  I tried the stop bleed that we have for her but it just wouldn't work.  Every time she'd lick it off before it could do what it was supposed to do.  So I grabbed a sack of coconut flour, dumped it into a baggie and stuck her foot in it, and then wrapped it around the top of her foot with an ace-type tape.  Finally got it stopped.  Dremel is just the way we have to do it for our own sanity!

• Like 3

The greenhouse survived but the plants, we lost some but most I was hopefully able to save. Just to soon to tell what is what at this point. So they may be a bit mixed up.  The only thing is the plastic pieces for tying the greenhouse down ripped off the cover. So don't know yet how we could fix that part of it. Might have to figure something else out. 

• Sad 2

Took some laundry to put in the dryer at the homestead while we worked outside. Moved the mini-green houses out to our "rail" and tied them to secure them and took my planters out there so the seedlings could enjoy the weather...didn't cover them.  The only two things really worth messing with right now are the radishes and the tomato starts...my experiments!  Moved my wrought iron planter (it has arms) and put the containers in each arm.  They are so great for flowers and herbs.  There are six.  Then I have the ones that hang over the front rail of the front porch.  Lots of planting to do...but will have to buy more soil mixture. 

Hubby pulled out his concrete mixer and dumped some compost, some top soil and some vermiculite and gave it a good mix.  Filled three of our many mineral tubs...but ran out of the juice jugs after only 3 tubs.  So...it's going to have to be shopping at Menards for the black drain-type hoses or something similar.  Did get one tub planted with Bell Peppers...some just the green and some that are the colors.  I'll have to thin the mixed colors because I opened the top and the bottom had come loose so guess what...I got seeds all over that area of the tub!  Oh well...it is what it is. 

Hubby hooked the cold water up in the kitchen so that's such a relief!  I can fill jugs and carry them out if I want, or hook a hose up to the kitchen sink.  He put an adapter on it so I can do that.  I took a plastic dish pan that we had drilled three fairly large holes in (several years ago) and I lay that down, fill it with water and it distributes the water more evenly than trying to pour.  We'll get the pvc pipes pushed down into the tubs later...right now...it's time to plant!

Came home and fixed lunch and hubby headed off to the work site and I took care of dishes and washed some more clothes.  (the dryer here doesn't work very well...so I try not to use it if at all possible.  The gasket has to always be tucked back in around the drum to avoid catching clothes it) to take over tomorrow.  I will probably let him go work there in the morning on the bathroom and I'll get my stuff done, and then he can take me there on his way to work, and I'll spend the afternoon planting. Now that I have running water I'll be fine.  I've got plenty of food and drink there :24:  as well as a place to wash my hands etc., my compost toilet and a nice front porch to sit and rest when I want. The porch is a wrap around.  Most facing north and a small section facing west.  There's almost always a wonderful breeze that makes sitting out there very relaxing.  Lovin' it!

• Like 4

DH's shopping trip EARLY this morning went well!!!   :amen:   :amen:   I had pressed my mom to just list anything they want/need....if he can find them, he'll get them.  She worries it's too much bother.  What ELSE have we to do?  Well, he found everything on that list but one type of Campbells soup.  Even her elusive V8 juice.  On the advice of Darlene and others....we stocked them up with meat.  They don't eat much so it doesn't take much for them.  But don't want them without options!  DH got some marked down pork for us.  A ham that was cheap.  Already baked that today.  Yum. Just running out of apples so he replenished that.  2 mushroom packs so I'll slice/dehydrate one. 

DH pulled 2 carts thru the store to keep theirs and ours separated....into two receipts.  Then my mom writes DH a check when he gets there.  Since DH knows the cashier [former coworker] they don't even blink at big amount...or rather 2 orders.  He didn't see any limits on purchases.  He did go the wrong way on the aisle....till he happened to look down at the floor markings.  They are allowing 200 max shoppers into the store.  Didn't have the 5 doz packaging for eggs, so didn't get any for us.  Only a dozen for my folks.  No Pillsbury tube biscuit/roll/etc at all.  But didn't notice any other completely empty spots.   He asked the former coworker:  It seems to be well stocked this morning.  Is it getting back to normal?  Guarded answer was......"um, getting there.  Sort of."    I think Early Tues morning is a good time to :shopping: 

My dad's on the wind-UP side of emotions.  CALM has once again, left the building!   :(  So he's claiming to have COVID in his eyes from the groceries brought in.  Got no confirmation from either of his kids when he called us.  We talked later to my brother and found he and I gave him identical answers.  Haven't called yet tonite but likely my mom has retreated to the peace of her room.  :sigh:    Wish there was a way to get some calming pills into him.  After days of high frantic emotions, he's calm and almost normal for the next few days.  AND WE GOT HIM CHOCOLATES!  Wasn't even on my mom's list but it's a ploy  to distract him from other anxious trains of thot.  Supposed to lead with HIS GOODIES!  I need to go over that strategy with her again.  She's beginning to slip a gear here and there now.  :pray:  

We're snowing .....and raining....of course.  :buttercup:   Moved tater containers out and then back inside.  Too cold during the nites.  Enjoyed SUNSHINE for a lot of today.   Course forecast was for snow/rain/thunderstorms all day.  I got dog and I outside at 4:30pm to walk road.  Was keeping my eye on big dark, slate blue storm in the SW....heading this way.  Heard some thunder in distance.  I didn't walk far tonite but it was first time in 3 days.  :amen:  

Felt BETTER today! 

MtRider  .....off to do 'olelo Hawai'i ..and call my mom.  [see which way the wind blows at their house today??]

• Sad 4

Went for walk first, then to local grocery for meat sales. We don't eat meat that often and now have enough for many months. Also got a watermelon. Mmmm Came home and rearranged freezer for meat.

Turned my pickled shrimp made a few days ago into Chinese stir fry which I consider much more edible!

Supposed to wash rugs, sweep and dust today. We will see if all that happens.

Storms coming through again tonight and tomorrow morning. Should start around midnight and be over by noon tomorrow. Another restless night for and with dogs!

• Like 3

Miki, dogs and thunder storms don't mix well together do they. Especially at night. You try to tell them it's okay but they won't listen. They just sit there and pant and drool. Hard-headed little beasts. :wub:,

The South has really had a rough time with weather this spring. Stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

dogs and thunder storms don't mix well

How well we know that!  Our girl seems to have found some peace...on hubby's side of the bed (not mine!?)...where she can curl up between the bed, night stand and his dresser.

• Like 4

More rain and storms expected tonight and through tomorrow morning. So still can't get the garden going as it is still to wet. Was so nice out today, that I thought the garden would dry out enough to work on it today. But was still wet this afternoon and now more rain.   So I worked on the garage all day and feeling the pain from that. All that up and down a ladder cleaning out the cabinet out there over the sink and putting new shelf paper in it. Then putting everything back in the cabinet and just going through things and pitching stuff. Still needs a bit of work, but better than it was. Leaving car outside tonight as all the garden stuff has pretty much taken over the garage for now till we can get the garden area tilled and set up to plant what we have and then get more stuff planted as well. 

Right now I am so sore. Thinking of a good soak in the tub and a muscle relaxer.  Even my feet hurt. Muscles I haven't used since last spring I guess. Good thing is it will all be back to normal in a couple of days and I can go find new muscles I haven't used in a while. 

• Like 2

Was supposed to rain early this afternoon so I didn't go to the homestead to work in the gardening...and it didn't start raining until about an hour ago...figures.  Anyway, it should be enough to fill the rain barrels and give my bell pepper tub a good soak and fill up the jugs under the soil and weed barrier.  The others on the mini green house should be fine.  I'm sure the 'taters will enjoy the watering too!

Hubby went ahead and took a load of laundry over with him to dry while he worked and then brought them back when he came here for lunch. 

As for me...just hung around with my Abby-girl!  She can be anywhere and I call "Where's my dog"...and here she comes.  That's a "special" name between myself and her...and she loves to come put her head in my lap.  Love my dog!  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your greenhouse vs WIND, LittleSister!  :(   Hope most are salvageable!  With the rain holding your area up for gardens again this year, you might need that head start!  Didn't y'all have way too much rain last year....or was that further west of you?

We repackaged some dehydrated mixed soup veggies and some dehy bananas we bought in bulk.  Tried some in a ham/veggie soup.  :thumbs:  DH will try some of the dehy bananas in banana bread tonite.  He also sliced up the extra carton of fresh mushrooms from grocery yesterday.  It's been in the dehydrator all day.  We're "putting stuff by".......in case this crisis begins to go on and on and on....and more of our systems tumble and.....  Well, y'all know.  :tinfoilhatsmile:

We'd ordered this stuff about 2 months ago.  Didn't need it right away so didn't matter that it came today.  I'm not concerned about stuff that is not being delivered RIGHT AWAY.  :shrug:   We're ordering in anticipation for the LONG HAUL.  I think we've still got one more item that will come along.....one of these days.....

Bad nite sleeping again.  :gaah:  Then I have such a hard time functioning the next day.  I took an hour nap and finally felt human.  Went for a drive to get the mail.  Then began the repackaging project.  :happy0203:   I like it when I can accomplish something.  Walk with dog was not gonna happen today tho.  She had to help me get back up those steps when we got home!!  :wub:  

MtRider  ......I don't think it snowed today...  :rolleyes:  Really came down in huge flakes last nite but....all melted.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Putting stuff by" is the wise thing to do. Little by little it sure adds up. What's that saying, "It's not the destination but the journey." So true with stocking the pantry too. I read where this winters virus' could be worse than last winters. I don't know if they were talking about the regular flu season or the covid stuff.

Good girl Koa for helping mom up the steps.  :wub:

• Like 3