MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

pray none of you have a love one that needs to go to hospital

My sister in law is going through similar circumstances with my brother.  He's fighting cancer...not covid!  But they will NOT allow her in.  I'm just wondering what Mr. William Barr would say about infringing on a person's rights?  They "might" be able to stop you but they cannot stop "him" from telling them to let you in???? Sorta like a school student cannot be told to certain things?  Just thinking...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rained most of the morning but went to the homestead with hubby this afternoon.  He worked there this morning so I went back with him.  Pulled a 4 1/2 square bucket, with holes in the bottom, and put some drainage mat in the bottom, planted some cucumber seeds and hung it on one of the hooks on our "Rack".  I'm going to see if I can just grow them in that and train them to travel down the rack or ... ???  Hubby doesn't like cukes but I like them as well as making sweet pickles/relish.  He'll eat the relish! :)

He's still doing some mud work...takes a bit long to dry in this humid wet weather not mention chilly.  He's got a fan blowing on the bathroom but it still takes longer for it to dry.

I sat outside on the front porch (safe from the sprinkles) with my Abby-girl.

This month is our city's "Operation Clean Sweep" so everybody's putting all their "stuff" on the street/road to be picked up.  You'd be surprised to see some people driving by and gawking to see if there's anything they might salvage :laughkick: All we have is the old wood hubby pulled out from the bathroom and nobody'd want that stuff! 

We're noticing so many homes coming up empty.  Since I worked many years for a Real Estate Broker who managed foreclosures when we see one it's like "yep...there's another one going into the tube".  Sometimes those houses stay vacant for years before banks get around to re-selling them....as is.  Some may just be rentals but when you see windows boarded and white notice signs inside screen doors, you know.

Sister in law says my brother is supposed to come home tomorrow for palliative (?) care.  No chemo for now and she's being trained by a home health person to administer antibiotics via IV's .  I bet she's scared out of her wits about this time...but would never admit it.  

Still trying to get that roasted hen eaten...so tonight we had "creamed chicken/veggies over bagels"...LOL Pretty tastey!  What do you call SOS when it's shredded chicken? :24: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Got up early, sat around reading the end of the last book of a series DH encouraged me to read, 2 years ago.  Done, unless they write another one.  

Did paperwork, got delayed.  :sigh:  They were not pleased.  MIL & DH got up around 11:30. Went to the PO, nothing there.  Came home & prepped some things for MIL’s trip home to TX.  That will be ongoing until I take her back.  We had re-heated frozen pizza for dinner, while I watered the lawn & gardens. MIL watched the news, while DH is busy, playing games on his computer.  :shakinghead:

Tomorrow is another day.

@kappydell aphids & mildew???  Explain... please?  I pulled a cabbage that was infested with aphids & gave it to my hens.  They LOVED it.  One cabbage is about a foot in diameter but, several other plants have aphid damage.  Help!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I hope and pray none of you have a love one that needs to go to hospital and you have to go through this. I have heard about how it was but never thought I would be one of those going through it. 

I am so concerned about my mom ending up in the hospital. Stress makes her dementia worse and she can quickly be taken advantage of. I'm really debating removing her from the retirement center for a few weeks. The staff there are EXCELLENT and take care of her physical needs. There is no real contact though and the mental and emotional needs have gone by the wayside for almost SIX weeks. Our liberal governor has just added FOUR MORE WEEKS to the lockdown. If she lives through that, I don't think there will be much left from the dementia and depression. There is a lawsuit that could have an answer by this weekend by the state's supreme court. I heard that the governor was complaining to that same court that he should not be allowed to be sued.  :0327:

If we had a house my mom could navigate, I'd be down in the city packing her and bringing her home. We have a whole nother set of problems if she tries to do the stairs or bathroom.   :pray:

• Sad 5

Around here we say 'plague or pollen, explain yourself!'

That chart is BS.  I've had bad allergies all my life and they always give me a headache, fever, and trouble breathing every single pollen season for decades.  

• Like 4

annarchy, i also have lost things to aphids.  Today they are gone off the tomatoes, Mary powdered them with Sevin powder.  The strong water hose spray seems to have knocked them off the rose bush, too.  You can also use an oil spray to smother them, I have heard, but I did not have a lot of luck with that.  

Aphids will suck the life from your plants, but also carry diseases.  the powdery mildew spray i wrote about is made of (believe it or not) nonfat skim milk powder & water, Most recently, a spray made of 40% milk and 60% water was as effective as chemical fungicides in managing powdery mildew of pumpkins and cucumbers grown in mildew-prone Connecticut. In Australia, milk sprays have proven to be as effective as sulfur and synthetic chemicals in preventing powdery mildew on grapes. In New Zealand, milk did a top-rate job of suppressing powdery mildew in apples.   I just make up a cup of reconstituted skim milk, then add 1 1/2 cups water and I am good to go.  It has to be used before the mildew really gets going, but it is cheap enough to take a shot.  I had good luck with it.  It takes sunlight to activate the mildew killing, so I put it on in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

That's great info about the mildew!  Here in MS, especially.

Got our taxes done yesterday. It was a wash. Stopped at local grocery for fruits and veggies. Called cable company and got bill reduced by $25 a month. Have to call them every 6-9 months.

Walked this morning, washing blankets and rugs, will sweep house, do eBay photos and make a few calls.

It's beautiful out today!  75 and partly sunny with a light breeze!

• Like 4

I have been tested. I said it’s nowhere near as bad as they make it out to be, but hubby pointed output that I have an extremely high pain tolerance and may have abused my sinuses enough to deaden the nerves.  It felt like a poke, then my eyes watered. That was about it. Temp is up to 100.9-ish. All the thermometers give me a different reading. Hubby wants to try a manual one if we can find it. 

It’s a 24-hour test, but they tell you it may take 4-7 days for results. 

• Sad 3

WE2, Praying your brother is doing better.  I know how hard it can be when your loved ones can't be with you.

The CG getting this virus is not allowed.  Praying that it is nothing more than the usual mess and not this covid.. 

Talked with the doctor for DH today and it was not good.  He does not want to drain the fluid from his stomach as once they start it they would be having to do it all the time till the kidneys just give out. So I said no. Let's find another way. He is going to have a consult with the other doctors treating him.

He also said that the reason he passed out was because there was no blood flow to the brain or kidneys. Which means he was clinically dead for a couple of minutes maybe less as I got him moving as quickly as I did.. He may get to come home Sat. depending on lab work.  He also said he is agitated. Well they won't let me in to be with him so they will have to deal with that.  Lousy food and a bed that is not very comfortable. And they won't let him do anything but lay in a bed till I went after them to let him out of bed and sit in a chair.  Just talking with him on phone seems like he just doesn't want to talk much as he is tired and sleeps a lot. Need to talk with doctor about that as well. His energy is gone. So going to take a lot of mending to get him even half way back to where he used to be. I think I am going to be in for a long haul with this one. The stroke was bad as he had to learn to walk again and so much more but he was in his 50's when that happened and made it easier. Then the heart attack. We got through that ok but this time I fear will be different. In his 80's and not bouncing back like I had hoped. I think this did something to him mentally as well. But will find out when he is home and in my care. It will be a long, slow process to get him together again. But we have been down that road before and will get through it again. I really hate that people cannot be with their loved ones and they feel like they have to go through this alone. Just not right. That might be the mental part of what I hear when talking to him by phone. Just not the same as being with him. 

CG I really do pray you do not have Covid-19.  That stuff is bad news.  Though you could have a mild case and not have much more than feeling bad and a fever. It is still bad. And I pray you don't have it at all. Take it easy and try to rest as much as possible.

• Sad 3
12 hours ago, Homesteader said:

the retirement center for a few weeks

Listened to the Prez this afternoon as he spoke about "protecting seniors" etc.  Sounds like if the "squad" of investigators were to decide that a senior isn't being taken care of by their standards, they can take control and move them wherever they feel the senior would be safe.  Sounds awfully sinuous to me...? Told hubby when he got home "the worst place anybody wants to be right now is in a nursing home or senior facility"....you and your family could lose all rights really quick.

• Sad 4

This morning the tow truck came and picked up hubby's truck and took it to a shop for diagnosis.  We're praying God's grace over it and that it can be repaired and not replaced...in Jesus' Name.

Then hubby got the call from his customer that the sheetrock had been delivered so he worked this afternoon putting some of it up.  Sorta tricky when you're doing it in a shed and the roof has a shed angle.  

I didn't do much other than run the vacuum and then fixed supper.  Had some bbq shredded chicken with some stove top dressing and some green beans. 

Opened the front door and storm door screen and let some fresh air in as well as turned on the ceiling fans (low)...until it got too cool.  It's that time of year when you don't know what the temps will be other than it usually doesn't freeze!  Hopefully this weather changing so often doesn't cause my seeds to stay dormant too long and not sprout...:pray:

• Like 2

Said a special prayer for all the people here at Mrs.S. today. Too much sickness and worries about family members and bills mounting up. Seems like we all have issues right now.  :pray:

My bones ache. I think the weather changing is the main reason. Spring and fall seasons are usually the worst. Most likely an arthritis flare up. Especially my back and neck. The neck pain causes headaches and migrains. Advil isn't helping today. Some people have seasonal allergies, I guess I have it in the bones... bonergies. :rolleyes:

Lots of people that I know are suffering from depression. I have depression but it isn't bad right now. I understand why some people are struggling with it though. Especially in these times. More child abuse and spousal abuse because of frayed nerves. A couple of people in my extended family (cousin and in-law) admitted to drinking more than they should. 

Well, on that happy note, I'm going to drag out the heating pad, take an Ambien and and hope for a better day for all of us.  :grouphug:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

:grouphug:   Hang in there, everyone.  Praying for so many situations here.....Wow!  LilSister's dh.....TheCG's illness....Homesteaders decisions about her mom..... WE2s brother and truck........Jeepers bones: relieve aches/sleep well...Kappy's rehab from surgery...Euphrasyne's family esp. little one.....Ambergris' surgery/health/functioning,etc......Annarchy's MIL and choices.....  Hear all our needs and worries, God.  Take them from us and we know You have all of it in Your hand.  :amen:

Today is weird for us.  We've been on true SIP for weeks.  DH goes only every 2 wks for grocery....and that is it! 

Today our godson, wife, small boy came to visit.  They live in MN but "were in the neighborhood" up in Wyoming on his job.  Took hours to get here but we hadn't seen him in several years.  Hadn't met her and boy.  So....we're now exposed to whatever they've been exposed to in the past week(s)????  Hopefully, that is nothing!  Yes, made that choice cuz sometimes....family is that important. 

They were in our small house tonite to eat and talk.   However, they are camping tonite in a tent we set up just outside our house....and are loving the idea of "camping in CO wilds".   :)  That minimizes exposure somewhat....but really, there is literally NO room in this house for that many to lay down!  It's not too cold for these two days.  Boy is enjoying the tent too.  They have Pyrenees dogs at home so Koa is no intimidation. 

We won't be near my folks....in fact I don't intend on telling them....cuz my dad, y'know.  :buttercup:    Same routine for DH to drop off their grocery next week.  He'll have sanitized his hands and wear mask as usual. 

........and we will wait to see if they have run into anything on this trip across several states for his job.  Two wks from tomorrow.....  :shrug:   The rates of infection are going down in many places around here.  They were in Neb and Wyoming.....not hot spots.  :pray:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 6

97.9 this morning and just a mild headache.

Still waiting on the test results, but maybe it was just a 24-hour bug?

That would also explain hubby going "Well, I had a scratchy throat the day before."  His immune system is a LOT stronger than mine, to the point where a bug that had me throwing up repeatedly just caused a bit of indigestion for him.

• Like 3
On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, The WE2's said:

Rained most of the morning but went to the homestead with hubby this afternoon.  He worked there this morning so I went back with him.  Pulled a 4 1/2 square bucket, with holes in the bottom, and put some drainage mat in the bottom, planted some cucumber seeds and hung it on one of the hooks on our "Rack".  I'm going to see if I can just grow them in that and train them to travel down the rack or ... ???  Hubby doesn't like cukes but I like them as well as making sweet pickles/relish.  He'll eat the relish! :)

If you live near a Winco you might want to check out their prices on cukes to get a head start on your relishes. Around here they are now only  28c each.

18 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Listened to the Prez this afternoon as he spoke about "protecting seniors" etc.  Sounds like if the "squad" of investigators were to decide that a senior isn't being taken care of by their standards, they can take control and move them wherever they feel the senior would be safe.  Sounds awfully sinuous to me...? Told hubby when he got home "the worst place anybody wants to be right now is in a nursing home or senior facility"....you and your family could lose all rights really quick.

Gov Cuomo and Mayor DeBlasio (NY) did this. All they managed to do was put the healthy seniors at risk!

• Sad 4

Hubby worked again today...nice to have the extra dollars to add to our income.  Sat down this afternoon and paid all the bills that had come in the mail...so nice...and didn't touch a dime of the guvment check.

I washed the wool blanket that we removed from our bed and hung it out to dry in this lovely 70'ish weather with nice breeze.  We have a Serta Gel Mattress that we love, but in the winter time it doesn't warm up unless we're "in" the bed and generating some heat, so we put the HEAVY wool blanket between the mattress and the bottom sheet and then take it off when warmer weather sets in.

Dug into the freezer and found some more fish so we had Cod with fries, and used up the last of the stove top dressing from last night.  Maybe a weird combo...but quite tasty and using left overs is good!

Hubby took our girl for a nice walk before supper so she's a happy dog!

Haven't heard anything from my SIL regarding my brother but I'm sure she's got her hands full trying to learn how to care for him.  I would think a home health aide could be hired to come do the IV thing.  Surely the VA would pay for it, especially since he's fighting cancer.  Financially they don't qualify for any "free" aide like Medicaide.  Medicare would probably also pay some.  But I dare not mention it...at least not until she indicates something that would open the door to that kind of conversation.  Finances are a difficult subject ya know!

• Like 2

Good evening! This morning, I was at Walmart at 6:50 am and was 4th in line. They were keeping a good count of folks going in and out. They had everything I needed and looked for. I saw toilet paper, but wasn't there for that. Then to Dollar General for a few things I get there and then Tractor Supply for dry dog food and chicken wire.

Got home and wiped everything down and put away, then went for my walk. Didn't do much of anything the rest of the day. That Walmart run exhausts me!

• Like 5

DH is home but very weak.  Having to help him with a lot of things. Getting dressed and moving around. He will be having home care and phy.  thearpy also. We will be having a decision to make about the fluid around his stomach as it just won't go down. Going to see how all the new meds work first. They changed  a lot of things.  If that does not work then we are going to have to decide on having the fluid removed from his stomach. They will insert needle and remove it. The only thing is that he may have to keep doing it till the kidneys just give out. So it will be a last resort.  The doctor that called me yesterday gave me the whole scope on what had happened. He was taken to many fluid pills because he was so swollen. He was so dried out even his blood vessels were dried out.  So I am having to control those now. When the defib. went off he was clinically dead.  No blood flow to kidneys nor brain. That is what set off the defib. So it did it's job. They think when I got him up and moving everything started flowing again when he came fully around. He is going to have a long recovery so I am not sure I will be on here very much.  So if not you will know I am very busy with DH. 

Praying that everyone on here will be safe from the coronavirus and any other illness. I will still be praying for everyone on here that are having issues.  And for those who have loved ones that are ill as well.  Take care.  :grouphug:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Our guests had a good nite in the tent.  When they left today, I suggested a very scenic overlook they might try before heading back home.  I hope they liked it.  It's quite a vista.  It was very nice to see them.  It was not nice that we now have to begin the countdown of 2 wks.  No one was sick....  :pray:  we all stay that way! 

Got quite warm today....75* with sunshine!  :knary:   Well no, there was a nice breeze.  Not quite swamp cooler weather.  Boy eventually found the snowdrift and was playing with snow/ice.  He used our porch pulley system and hauled all the bedding things up to the porch.  :thumbs:   I put a lot in the wash/dry today.  One down sleeping bag is still air drying....and tumble fluffing.  I'm tired but enjoyed the visit.  Get to meet new great nephew and new niece.  We like her.

TheCG:   24 hr bug vs COVID.......  :pray:   for 24 hr bug!!!

:amen:  LilSister's dh is home!  :pray: for his continued recovery!!!!  And for her strength!!!!  :bighug2:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3