MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I am making an appointment with a palliative care organization to see if they can help my mom without going on assisted living where she's residing. My mom isn't too excited about it because it's the next step closer to Hospice. She lost her husband and two sons to cancer and Hospice was the last stage. I keep reminding her that she's in her 90's and not the spring chicken she used to be.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I am concerned about the lock-down her retirement center is in. No one is sick between the 7 locations throughout the Midwest. My biggest concern is if I can get her out if someone does test positive. The liberal county she lives in wants to extend the lock-down until July 15!! Her life here would be difficult with the stairs and bathtub. She is extremely limited and likes nice things. Hubby said that we could move into our RV for awhile.  :24:  I don't think any moving company is allowed in her facility, so we would have to walk out with a few suitcases. We would probably have to continue to pay the $3,000 month rent even though she would no longer have access to her things. We could give the necessary 30-day notice, but how do we get her things out?  :0327:

What a mess Wisconsin is in at the moment, and we have a squawking governor that has zero experience at anything except herding children through his classrooms.  Why do school teachers think they are the only intelligent ones on the planet?  :runcirclsmiley2:

• Sad 6

I'm not a big fan of holidays of any sort, they always seem to be more trouble than they are worth.  Yesterday was typical. 

DD12 decided to make me a brunch and DH was supposed to oversee her.  Fast forward....it ended up being a late lunch of fruit salad, coolwhip/yogurt mix, and crumpets.  All of which sounds amazing.. except I cannot eat any of it because of my GI surgery a few years ago.  DD12 had worked so hard on it...I just choked it down and smiled and thanked her then spent the next 3 hours curled in bed, vomiting clear fluid, and hoping to die.   :mornincoffee:

Blood sugar then plummeted and I had to eat some carbs so I would not pass out.  So the carb count for the day was large-- which means I still felt awful even after my sugar went over 80.  Next, I called my mother and she wanted to chat for 3 hours about the crazy.  Then I heard a crash, cussing, and  yelling, so I had to jump off the phone.  

:runcirclsmiley2:

I got downstairs, and saw a broken crockpot, sauce & chicken all over my kitchen, and scalded/burned family.  I tossed DD12 into the downstairs tub and DH into our shower upstairs while DD16 started cleaning up the glass and ceramic.  DD12 had burns on her feet an knee and DH had a bad burn on his foot, arm, and a cut on  his face.  By the time I got everyone calmed down and tended to it was late, the kitchen was a wreck and everyone was hungry and upset.  I ordered a pizza --THANK YOU DOMINOS for delivering in 30m!   I let them eat and tucked all of them into bed.  I skipped eating b/c I couldn't deal with any more carbs or blood sugar issues that day and I was too tired to be hungry.

I spent the next two hours cleaning sauce off the cabinets and floor, doing the metric ton of dishes that overflowed the sink from 'brunch' and 'almost dinner', and mopping up the remainders of the day.   I also realized that DD12 had broken my apple corer when making brunch so it went into the trash also.  I left my mop in the sink to dry out and went to bed.  

When I got up this morning, the mop was soaking wet because DH ran water in the sink without removing it this morning.  :banghead:  

Fortunately, DD12's feet are fine and DH only has a large, slightly painful red mark on his arm.  No one was hurt permanently or badly in the chaos.  

I'd love to say this will be hilarious in a few years, but it seemed like a fairly typical holiday to me.  :sigh:

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Sad 5

I'm with you on holidays. I dread every single one of them. I try to be cheerful but I'm counting down the minutes until the day is over. I find the whole thing awkward and emotionally exhausting.

What a mess that must have been. Thank God no one was seriously hurt! You will remember it and laugh about it...someday. But not anytime soon. It will be a good story to tell when your daughter has a family of her own. Pay back. 

Sorry you had such a rough day.  :hug3:

• Like 5

Dang Homesteader, you really are between a rock and a hard place. This virus has wreaked havoc on us in so many unplanned ways. I'm pretty sure you would still have to pay the rent to hold her place. Depending on how empty the facility is, they would probably want to move someone else in. :hug3:

• Like 1

So sorry to hear your husband was in the ER again Littlesister. Such scary times. It seems like doctors just don't want to deal with the elderly any more. Maybe because they don't like to admit they don't have the answers. Or maybe they are too beaten down too. 

I had a cousin who had fluid build up in her lungs from kidney failure. The nursing staff showed her husband now to drain it at home. She got a lot of relief from him draining it a couple of times a week. It took less than a half an hour from start to finish. Maybe that would be an option for you guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope you can help your DH get some relief @Littlesister!  A lot of us seem to be in some kind of crisis right now.  I'm just busy!

Busy day today and haven't left the house (except walking)! Walked first and did short video. Weeding and hoeing in the back garden. Called in DH's RX, Ordered flat rate envelopes for eBay, did eBay photos, did laundry, made baked onions n foil packets and then made liver and onions with bacon and made mashed potatoes from real. Made a couple of phone calls and that's about enough!

• Like 3

Whew.....a lot of heavy burdens are being carried here among us.  Praying that God will give His guidance and protection as we stop and listen :pray: 

Sure glad your awful day ended with only minor injuries.... :(  and your severe discomfort, Euphrasyne.  Does your dh not know to guide dd in food choices for you?  :tapfoot:  These are not minor like/dislike but seriously affects your health!  No "Good-dh" points for him on that one!  Hmph!  Hope you're all feeling better today.  The ship runs better with mom piloting, right?  :buttercup:  

I used to love holidays cuz in our house, it seemed like the only time my dad tried to ....be nice?  Not sure that's the right phrase.  But now he's got things so permanently messed up with his decrees.....  there are no holidays except what we can do around his current functioning level.  Like meet with my mom on the porch yesterday.  That wasn't his fault.....  COVID does not help!  He was pouting and refused to come down to even say hi to me tho.  Haven't seen him since mid-Feb.  But it is what it is.  And people are who they are.  For some folks, better behavior on holidays is just beyond their will or ability:( 

MtRider  ....we RAINED for a little while today.  :hapydancsmil:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3

Yes it does seem this Covid-19  has changed all of our lives.  Had this heart failure happened before Christmas DH would have gotten the proper care.  I should not have to keep depending on using a search engine to find the answers to help him to the right direction. Hoping his family doctor will step in and get things moving. He called today and is setting up for an ultrasound of his liver and stomach as well as kidneys. When I told him about the hospital and them wanting to put him on the Corvid floor to test him and keep him there till the results were in, he went livid.  He is going to be talking with the heart doctor as well. So because DH didn't go to hospital to corvid floor the home health cancelled on us and said because he declined the hosp. they can't come out. So I told them the story of the corvid floor and that is what we declined not going to the hosp. If he still needs to go it will be after they get the results so he won't be on that floor. So they will keep him on for now but not come out.  Don't really care at this point, I am checking his temps, Bp, sugar levels, and weight anyway. That is all they do. So don't really need them. 

Homesteader, I truly hope and pray that you get things straight with your mom.  These are trying times. 

And everyone else on here, I know everyone is going through a lot. Some maybe more than others but just the same it has changed our lives for a long time to come. 

euphrasyne,  you really had some action going for Mother's day. So glad that no one was burned bad or hurt in any other way from all that mess.  You have really had your hands full.  I know for us Christmas was hard as DH was just starting to have cong. heart failure and we were going doctor to doctor to get him straight when this mess happened. Now can't get the help we need. 

Haven't really done a lot today.  Washed sheets, and did the rest of laundry.  Ordered DH some new PJ's and some slip on pants that are loose around the waist as his jeans are just to tight around his stomach when he is so swollen. Trying to find clothes that are comfortable for him as he has been staying in his old PJ's that are to big for him now. 

AND PLEASE EVERYONE:  As they start to open up the economy, please stay alert and don't let your guard down. Talked with a neighbor today and she said people are not wearing mask and not staying the 6 feet apart. People are starting to do what they did before all this started and the traffic is now picking up again. We are going into stage one on Friday.  So will see what happens.  We are still going to stay put and not go out as I won't let DH go anywhere to start with other than the usual doctors we have to go see. And some of those are still not opening up till June and July. 

So whatever you do, DON'T let your guard down. This isn't over by a long shot. The ER doctor said they are gearing up for a worse case of this because people are not doing what they should be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Been a busy couple of days.  Hubby got the mowing all done...probably just in time to start again!  We bought another weed eater...he took it to the homestead...used it 30 minutes it shut down.  Waited, started it again, used it for 30 minutes...it shut down.  So...tomorrow (or maybe Wednesday) he'll take it back to Menards and get it exchanged.  If that one doesn't work, he'll just let them put the money back on his card and we'll just go buy one from another source.  They only make weed eaters to last a year (their warranty) don't you know?  This one didn't last a day.  

Today I baked up a Chilly Rellano Casserole and we went and visited my ailing brother.  He was much more alert...probably because of all the pain medications he's one etc.  She was spinning like a top trying to work (from her home/computer etc.) and get his IV hooked up to the antibiotics he's having to take, so we didn't get to visit much with her.  That's okay.  We had a good conversation with my brother and took a couple of pics.

>

After we left there we drove to see my step mum.  She lives only a few miles away...so took the opportunity to go see her.  I went to the porch, she opened the door and I said "Are you taking in visitors?" She said...you get yourselves in here! :cele: She was tickled pink to see us.  We sat in separate chairs...six feet apart...and had a very nice visit.  Then she took us out to see her lovely little garden.  She is so proud of it...and should be!  We talked alot about all the hypocracy of what's going on.  She shops at a local super market and will start using the WM online shopping and have them put it in her trunk...starting in June.

We went to WM yesterday to pick up a few things and there was a line of about 30 people...some not wearing masks...and none six foot apart!  We said "Nope...let's go the the dreaded Aldis and Sav-A-Lot" and promptly left.  Pay a bit more perhaps but not all that garbage!

May have already mentioned it, but the truck needs another engine.  We've put too much money into the new transmission so we really have no choice. Another truck costs a fortune and a new engine half a fortune.  

The garden is hanging in there.  I haven't covered anything but there's not that much up yet.  Step mum's is up so good because she bought plants.  I have deliberately NOT bought plants this year.  Told hubby "I need to learn success planting from seeds".  We'll probably buy a lot from our Amish friends before too long.  It's all green house stuff but if we had a green house it would be the same.  

The potatoes are looking wonderful.  Filled two wheel barrows full of the new compost and covered them up.  Just the individual plants that were up.  No sense in putting it on just the other compost. Did I mention that we did get a trailer full of the city's compost?  Wonderful stuff.  A trailer full for 10$.  

So...me's tired.  Fixed us a quickie supper and I have a sink full of dishes from this morning and now supper.  I have a dishwasher but it's a portable and it's full of my cast iron, glass and corning ware cooking dishes. It'll get hooked up at the homestead...if it works.  If not...it to the metal recyclers and I'll look around for a smaller one that's also portable.

Sorry to hear so many of your loved ones are having a difficult time my friends.  It's sad to see our loved one not only suffering but in such jeopardy during this dreadful time.  

Step mum was telling us that hospitals get 37,000$ for each covid patient they admit and treat...such a sad thing.  And now they're even taking advantage of the children's illnesses and calling it covid related...:gaah:

Anyway....love your friends and family...and let your hearts not grow weary.  I'm thinking this may be a long trial of our patience.

• Like 5

Oh...by the way...yesterday I grabbed my scissors and a mirror...and I cut about 5 inches of my hair off.  The back isn't as good a job but I'll have hubby help me later on.  Wanna see?

Phil-Bev 5-11-20.jpg

• Like 6

Our Governor is starting the Bounce Back Badger reopening of the state. What a God awful name for recovery. So far, individual stores can have UP TO FIVE shoppers at one time, starting tomorrow. I wonder how many employees Kohls will have to accommodate those FIVE shoppers.  :0327:How did we ever get such a ridiculous leader?  :gaah: Our past governor's campaign team wasn't ready for the onslaught of outside money from the Democratic party. The Republican got beat and was really shocked, as was the rest of the state outside of Madison and Milwaukee. We had close to $5 billion in the black. The new governor is licking his lips over how quickly he can spend it. So far, they're hiring over 1,000 people to go door-to-door to interview each family on who has the Chinese virus, how many bedrooms, how many bathrooms, etc. We all know where THIS is going, don't we? DH told me to be nice and not take the shotgun to the fight when the doorbell rings.  :24:  Total control. That's all our government wants. Total control. And, now is their time to strike.  :gaah: 

I've been praying for all of you. When disaster strikes, the stress level is already extremely high. I am SO THANKFUL we are both well. I need to remember to count our blessings!! We received our STIMULUS check today in the mail.  :hapydancsmil: We were wondering if we'd get one since I haven't done our taxes yet. I've GOT TO GET MY BUTT IN GEAR. I have to do my mom's taxes too.  :0327:  We have a nurse from Palliative care coming for a meeting with mom next week. Mom isn't too excited because the next step after that is Hospice, and she delivered up her husband and two sons to Hospice over the years. I keep reminding her that we are all dying. Some just a little faster than others.  Cheers everyone, and keep looking up! I can almost hear the trumpet sound in the distance.   :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

WE2 your hair looks good. I am not that brave to cut my hair other than just the ends.  My arthritic hands have me limited. When I was still working, the last couple of years before retirement I had to stop drawing blood as my fingers were just not working well. Now they are worse and I have had surgery for tendon release as well. 

I am so glad we waited to plant this year. We have has another cold snap and two frost. This is what happened the past 2 years and we had to replant.  I still have my tomatoes, green peppers, okra, broccoli and some other things on table in garage that I started from seeds. Maybe in the next 2 weeks I can get them planted. 

• Like 4

Oh my!  :pray: ‘s for everyone.

Got to TX safely.  PTL!  Less traffic on the road than I have ever seen.  

Hair... I cut MIL’s hair twice, and died it once to cover the grey.  Filled in her nails twice and re-made one that fell off.  Yeah, it’s been a challenging time...

Wearing the N-95 mask & 9 mil. Nitrile gloves everywhere, in 109°F heat, has also been a challenge, but necessary. I cannot take the chance.  Bad lungs, I have COPD & have had viral pneumonia several times, add my age in, and yeah, it wouldn’t be a good thing.  

MIL’s neighbors stopped by, they stayed outside, chatting through the screen door.  Please remind me to send them a “Thank you” card.

It took over 3 hours to empty the car & put away all the food I brought.  Then, IDK what happened, but the toilets were completely empty of water and the faucets sputtered and the power had been off, because the clocks were flashing.  When she listened to the 30 messages on her phone, there was a couple, from the city about an earthquake.  :shrug:

Hung her plants back up, cleaned the tub, put sheets on my bed, texted the mechanic to get an appointment to have an oil change, scheduled the plumber to clear the drains, and forgot to eat the sandwich we got from Arby’s when we gassed up in Lordsurg, NM.  

MIL & DH both cried their eyes out when we left.  :yar:

I’ve got a lot to do.  But, she’s home.  

:offtobed:

• Like 6

Way to go Annie - I sure see this in my future if I bring my mom home. I'm just not sure how we would ever maneuver the stairs. She's lost so much strength these past two months in her chair. Not to mention an apartment STUFFED with things. I'm not sure our marriage will take her negative attitude. My DH is so much like her. Double whammy may set off my depression that I haven't seen in 35 years.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Maybe I could go live in our RV and let those two live peacefully in our small house.  :thumbs: 

I am constantly reminded that she suffered through 17 years of raising a daughter.  :24:   We do have some county help, if I can figure out how to tap into it.  I sure don't sleep very well at night anymore.  :0327:  Gotta keep my nose in my Bible.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Annarchy,  so glad you made it to Texas safely. And you got mom settled back in now.  I have heard that earthquakes are all around the ring of fire and other places but not hearing it on TV.  I have a granddaughter that lives in Sunnyvale CA.  So get some info from her and the rest from other news on internet. 

Homesteader,  hang in there.  I think everyone is on edge about what is going on in this world.  Not being able to get the help we need. Doctors offices are closed.  It's crazy out there. Hopefully it won't come to having to bring your mom home for a long while.  But this Corvid virus will get worse again as they start opening up stores and such.  People will not keep their distance now or wear a mask. So not letting our guard down.

DH got his corvid test back and just as I said it was negative. So now his family doctor is in charge and he gathered the test results and went over everything and it is looking more like a mass in stomach than fluid. So he is cutting down the fluid pill and I am thinking of just taken him off of it while he still has kidney function.  He will be going for an ultra sound and then a cat scan of the abdomen. 

I am to a point that I don't know which way to turn and I am sure it has reflected on these post. Sorry for that.  I just have an uneasy feeling about all this going on with him and so mad over the fact that the Corvid virus is now the only thing doctors are caring for. Other patients still have their medical issues and we are being dropped.  Seems maybe they don't want the elderly around any longer. At least that is how I am starting to feel. I found out the hospitals are being paid for every corvid patient they treat.  :gaah: That might explain why this time around they wanted DH on the Corvid floor till the test came back. It was negative and I am glad we declined to go. So they lost $3,500 or whatever the amount is per patient to treat him for what he doesn't have. 

I am so tired now and so worried about DH that I just can't seem to get anything done. Just can't concentrate on anything. And I need to get my meat ordered and get it canned. Might just put it on hold for now. Will see later after he has the test done. 

Homesteader you have the right mind set. Just keeping our nose in our Bibles and doing a lot of praying for everyone that is going through so much right now.  It is hard to pray when you have so much on your mind as I just can't seem to find the words sometimes when praying for DH. But The Lord knows what is going on and will get me through this as he has always done.  Keeping the faith sometimes is hard but something we all must do.. The harvest is not far along now.  The time is nearing midnight. :pray:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Usually, but lately even more, I try to keep my eyes open and really look at the beauty in Nature!  Keeps me grounded with God and reminds me to be thankful and pray!

Walked this morning and video. Took DH to Dollar General and local grocery--they are well stocked on meat and produce, just pricier now.

Going to go rake up in back garden and then transplant about 30 Cherry tomato bushes. Supposed to rain Thurs. and Fri. Hope they don't drown. I think the cold weather is out of here so it is time for them to grow up!

Going to get my hair cut at 2 pm. Yay!

• Like 6

It is shaping up to be quite a work week.  I got up early on Monday to shop - glad I did, got nice score on toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning disinfectants, and some 2 lb chicken breasts from the grocery - they have become our go-to place for chicken because it is very good.  Then we started on our homestead project, putting in our two apple trees.  We picked a spot.

and planted them without too much trouble.  Then the hard work started.....we planned on fencing them to keep the deer away.  We had 6 foot tall fencing and nice heavy steel posts.  but for the life of us we could NOT get the post placement right.  We pounded in those posts, took them out again, then put them in again, then took them out again.....we ended up getting one tree fenced, but there was extra fencing overlapping, so we were going to make the circle a bit larger today.

So, today we try again.  This time we only had to dig out all the posts ONCE, but it was still hard.  Finally we got them done.  FINALLY.  The running joke tonight is that we got hit by a truck driven by two ladies....Anna and Gala (the apple cultivars).  Someone drove up as we were finishing the fencing, and asked if we wanted a pomegranate bush.  Her friend had given her one, and she said she was not going to plant it and did we want it.  OK....a pomegranate is a good thing....so tomorrow we will be scoping out where to plant it.  Dont know if we will have to fence it in too.  Do deer nibble pomegranates?

image.thumb.png.2da6d8d565a295c4d3aeacda2df85fd1.png

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I did manage to leave DH long enough to fill the gas tank incase we have to run back to ER again. :pray: we don't have to do that again. Then ran to store to pick up some fruit for DH and a couple of other things.  I did find some chicken legs and no limit. So I bought enough to can five jars. That was about all I had time to get done as it was late in day. Only bought 4 packs of them and 5 jars was enough. We like to heat them up with barbeque sauce for a snack sometimes. Good protein snack for diabetics.  We use sugar free sauce. 

We have a pomegranate bush.  Have had one now for several years. We don't have a deer problem here but the bushes do have thorny stems, so that might keep them away.   You did a great job on the fence kappydell.

• Like 3

Hubby talked to two of the mechanics today.  One that did the diagnosis on the pickup and one that is pretty well known for changing out engines.  Looks like not so good news.  Lots of dollars involved.  But...even a used truck with high miles also, is three or four times the dollars of what it looks like to put in a used engine in this one.  

I just stayed home...period.  Didn't accomplish much of anything.  Just PHOOEY!

• Sad 5

If’n you remember, last year MIL’s neighbors house burned, melting part of her house?  Well, I put in a report to the city, last week.  Monday evening a city truck was parked next to it.  This morning 2 other city vehicles were there.  And the chief inspector came out also.  Her other neighbor walked over & talked with them.  Then, I did, mentioning the retaining wall had extreme heat damage and mom is concerned about it falling down and effecting her foundation.  I even showed them pictures of the burn damage on her house.  Later, one of the inspectors came over & said the retaining wall was bowing some.  I signed the report to have it included in their report.  I feel a little bad for the owner, but, he hasn’t done anything about it in over a year.  He said he got the money to fix it, back in July ‘19.  There are squirrels & rats living in it now.  Rodents attract predators, burnt paper & debris blow into her yard, and it smells nasty.  I’m not sorry for turning him in.  Maybe I should be, but it’s horrible.  All the windows are broken, burnt furniture in the front yard, weeds, waist high, in the yard.  People are trying to sell their houses, kids playing in the hood, it is a hazard.  
This pic was taken right after the fire...
DB2EC1EE-C780-4EE8-84C8-E8330C2A4CA6.jpeg

Anyway, watered her back yard, fed the turtles, poisoned some ants on the sidewalk, took mom to the bank & picked up a drive through burger for dinner.  Then, got an appointment for an oil change for my van, and watched TV-local news, mom’s favorite, Nightly News, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and Love it or List it, until now.  

Time to get some sleep, early morning appointment for the oil change, and then, DH & mom have given me a list of things to pick up.  :ph34r:

:offtobed:

• Sad 5

If your post pounder is like that thing,  I hope you knew to stand on something that gave you a couple of feet of extra height.  Really makes a big difference when trying to get six-foot high stomp-posts into the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2