MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

2 hours ago, kappydell said:

especially now that they have the authority to meddle in EVERYTHING

They don't HAVE the authority (Constitutionally); they have USURPED the authority and the MSM has the sheeple :sheeple: too scared to fight back :behindsofa: and do anything about it. :soapbox:

• Like 4
3 hours ago, kappydell said:

oh homesteader, my heart aches for what you must go thru.  the tendency of the state politicians  (the bean counting kind)  to want to run every aspect of life (especially now that they have the authority to meddle in EVERYTHING) was one of the reasons Chainsaw Mary & I ran when we had the chance.  (That and the ridiculous taxes up there).  We would be afraid to come back (even for a visit lest new travel restriction inhibit our return)  now that the powers in charge are stretching their tentacles and showing their true faces. 

If family were here and my mom so old and frail, we would have stayed in Indiana. The taxes were so cheap. Potholes in the roads were deep but we could navigate them.  :24: We will know by next weekend if mom wants to come out for a respite. I'm not sure she comprehends the severity of the situation. A staff member tested positive for covid but the Center took immediate action. I'm more concerned that all the residents will be required to get a vaccine in order to stay in their apartments at the facility. It really is a nice place, but mom isn't a social person. So, she sits and wastes away. Nine weeks now. With two more months to go if the federal lawsuit just filed in Milwaukee is thrown out. The State Supreme Court ruled against the governor, but the local counties did an end-around in the wording of their own emergency orders. If it wasn't for mom in the city, I'd bury my head at our homestead and enjoy life. Course, I do like researching and poking fun at idiots that have gone berserk over this whole thing. It's only the beginning. More disasters are coming down the pipe. This has been a rehearsal, or maybe a beta test. My bones feel it.  :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
13 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

They don't HAVE the authority (Constitutionally); they have USURPED the authority and the MSM has the sheeple :sheeple: too scared to fight back :behindsofa: and do anything about it. :soapbox:

But it is for our own good don't ya know.  :wink(2):  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did walk and video this morning and then pulled weeds and checked for veggies in gardens. Got 1 zucchini and a handful of jalapenos.

A friend in town found 2 puppies and has been trying to get them to a shelter but he doesn't drive, so I contacted the shelter (no kill) and then transported them to their new abode.

Came home and re-arranged items in freezer. Found chicken thighs and some sausage to cook on grill tomorrow.

Went to local hardware for topsoil and fertilizer. Still need to go to local grocery for a container of potato salad as I am not making it. I always make enough for an army and we don't need that!

• Like 2

:sigh:    My dad's been stirred up and he keeps making everything worse.  It's like he's knocking down all the dominoes and none of us can get ahead of the cascade to stop them from falling.  I've been on the phone with him longer each day than I can talk to my mom - trying to cheer her up.  They're out to stores multiple times now.  Can't get their credit card situation dealt with cuz.....we think he threw away the bills cuz he's afraid of COVID and doesn't listen that the virus is dead on paper after a few days so it sat in P.O. for 3 wks and then spread out on garage floor for 3 wks and .....then he bunched up a lot and threw them away.   And now he can't believe that he missed payments on CC?   They HAVE money!  :gaah:  STOP THROWING OUT YOUR BILLS!!!

He has always been So Very Meticulous about all the business.  Which is why my mom has never known anything about it.  And now..... :pray: 

I'm not even at their house and I'M wiped out.  The futility of trying to DO anything.  My brother needs to get their bills sent to him...right now!  I think he's working on that.  Please pray we get some solution for them.  I can't even describe it.... 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Holly Cow, MtRider!!    :yar: I know my folks were the generation where the fathers took care of the checkbook. My mom used to spend pretty much what my dad brought home. She can't anymore, and spends much of her time worrying about where her next rent check will come from. It's all there. I just don't have the time to update the spreadsheets and explain them to her every month.  :hug3:

I spent yesterday with her and have a good feeling that she will come to visit us next week. When she leaves the retirement center to get her hair done, she will have to go back into a 14-day quarantine into her apartment. She doesn't want that. They are lightening up on the regulations next week whereas the residents can come back from 'doctor' appointments and quarantine around the building with a mandatory mask. She has heart failure and can hardly catch her breath now.   :gaah: I think she sees the writing on the wall after 9 weeks of being locked up. She's upset about leaving her plants and birdfeeders though. I think we're all a bit like Lot's wife when we have to walk away from worldly possessions. :thumbs:  We'll keep paying her rent until she decides to go back or move her stuff out into a storage rental place down the road from us. I sure hope the retirement center doesn't get nasty. I'm not in the mood to get into a pissing contest with them right now. They've done an excellent job on feeding her but she's not responding to the lack of interaction from staff or banned family.  :0327:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Mt. Rider, can you get their bills on an auto payment system at their bank? All of my bills in Indy come directly from my checking account there. It's especially handy for utilities and insurance and mortgage. I still get an email every month stating it's paid and the amount. Social Security puts it in and everyone else takes it out. I've resisted doing that because I didn't want anyone in my bank account. But, I didn't trust myself to get everything paid on time over there while I'm over here. Now, I love it. I'm always the last hold out for everything.

I can even pay my credit card bills online or with a phone call. I don't do the auto pay for them because I want to see the charges before I pay. But I could of I wanted to.

I do have to admit that here in Ohio I've started dragging my feet on paying bills too. I get the bills set them down and the next thing I know, two weeks have gone by and I'm on the phone scrambling. Time is going by way to fast.

• Like 3

My folks passed long ago, but I sure feel badly for your situations with parents!  Makes me think ahead since we are not spring chickens, either! 

Today, I walked, did video, par boiled chicken, made rice (for dogs), made faux potato salad. DH said it tasted just like regular potato salad (which I made for him yesterday). Going to make stuffed grilled jalapenos to go with the chicken that will be grilled. May make some baked beans also.

Still have to do some eBay photos and then rest later.  Shouldn't have to cook for a few days!

• Like 2

Haven't had time to read all the post. But hoping and praying everyone is doing well. 

DH was readmitted to hospital We have been in hospital since May 10th. He just got out yesterday.  Got home, got him out of car and up the 4 steps to kitchen when he just couldn't make it any further.  I couldn't hold him, so layed him on floor and put pillow under his head and called his cousin to get me a couple of guys to help me. He had them there fast. They picked him up and got him to his recliner. Then later that night I got him to the bed and let him rest and then he had to go to bathroom. Because he cannot stand for long, I had him sit on toilet. Bad idea. Couldn't get him up off toilet and he had his clothes off to get in shower. So it was a very bad situation. Had to call SIL to help me. wrapped him in a towel. So no shower. We got him back to the bed. His legs just gave out and he couldn't walk at all. But once in bed SIL stepped out while I gave him a sponge bath and got his PJ"S on Then he came back in room to make sure DH was settled before he went back home. This is the condition the hospital sent him home in.  They did not get him out of bed nor had him walking to get his strength up. So now I am dealing with all that and unable to even go to the store to pick up RX's.  He did have the catherization and things were bad but not as bad as they thought they would be.  He has to go to Norfolk heart center now to clamp the mitral valve. He will be treated much better over there. 

I have talked to his cousin about having someone put a ramp on the house to make it easier for him to get in and out of house.  Also ordered the portable toilet seat with liners, and the rails that go around the regular toilet and a shower chair with back and has rails for him to pull up on.. Hoping this will help both of us because I know that it was embarrassing for him to have his son in law have to come help him off the toilet. He was so frustrated and scared because of his legs totally collapsing on him.  

I have been praying day and night for him to get through this. But I also know that his heart is very, very weak. He is in God's hands now. I am not sure what else I can do but am praying that he will have a turn around after they clamp the mitral valve off as it is leaking and this is what is causing all the fluid around his stomach and legs. His legs get so heavy with fluid that he can't lift them.  His heart is barely pumping blood through the rest of his body.  :pray: please for him to make a come back and I will have him around a few more years. I know the outcome of this is not that good. Congestive heart failure along with all the other problems with his heart is not good. 

• Sad 8

Littlesister, I'm so saddened to read this. Sending prayers for both of you. :pray:

Is your regular toilet chair size? I think that's what they call them. They are a standard toilet but set up a few inches higher. Those few inches make a big difference! Son has one and I'd like to get mine changed over. I have one leaking and will get one of those to replace it. I also like the round seat to save a little room in a small bathroom. They are getting harder to find. 

:hug3:

Hang on.  I helped someone put in bed rails that worked amazingly well.  Let me find out what exactly they were.

Look at this one on Amazon.  "Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail"  the style is "with floor supports."  

It has pipes that go under the mattress for stability, and pipes that go onto the floor for stability.  A gate goes down so your husband can climb out of bed holding onto this.  Then the gate goes up so that he does not roll out of bed accidentally.  A lot of thought went into keeping this so simple.  The company is "essential medical supply."

Edit:  this is the one I put together, although it is a different brand name.  https://www.amazon.com/Carex-Easy-Up-Bed-Rails-Elderly/dp/B006GUMZ06

Edited by Ambergris
  • Thanks 1

:pray: for your DH, Littlesister. 

:pray: for your parents, Mt_Rider. 

:pray: for your Mom, Homesteader. 

Life is tough sometimes, especially on the heart, for those we care so deeply for.

MIL is doing well.  The store is going to bring her makeup to her car so she can buy it.  And she is eating the food I brought her, so she doesn’t need to go to the store.. :amen:

We took yesterday off!  Went kayak fishing on Canyon Lake. Caught 6 Sun fish (perch)... one got away, and one was less than 2” long. Lol, DH couldn’t see it when I held it up.  :008Laughing:We enjoyed the time away from everything.  Then, the shore filled up, cramped, :blink: with people. AZ is back in business, and with the holiday, they were packing in.  I had fish & rice for lunch today. :happy0203:

We saw 3 does in the parking lot, when we got there around 6am.  That was awesome, and saw a golden eagle, sand wren, & loons.  It was so relaxing.  

I’ve been spending most of my time, going through old paperwork and pitching the unnecessary stuff.  So far, I’ve trashed 50 lbs. of it.  :blink:  Good grief, I didn’t realize how much was there.  DH got me a filing cabinet... IDK if it’s gonna be enough.  Then, he got MIL a twin bed. The mattress is here, but, the bed is coming next week, I am busting it to make room in my “office”.   I will still need the small cabinets, stacked on top of each other, in order to file it all :sigh:  What a challenge.

F846D804-D750-4D46-AC77-4474A4C48E35.jpeg

OMG, it came in pieces and I had to put it together, with glue, dowels and screws. That took a whole day.

Then, yesterday,DH sold his 95 Chevy Tahoe.  It went to a young man that has always wanted it.  Plus, he has 3 kids now and needs the extra vehicle, because they both work.  I hope it lasts for him, as long as it did for us.  God willing.

Next weeks schedule, includes, harvesting the carrots and cabbage.  They are about ready, plus, with our heat, it’s time.  The temp. was 90° yesterday and today, but, we’ve been above 105° for a couple of weeks.

Time to get some sleep, tomorrow is my day off, and I’m really looking forward to it.

Keeping everyone in my :pray:  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In mine too, Little Sister.  :pray:   I know what it feels like when every door seems to close; when you know "this can't keep going like this"  ......  :sigh:  but no solution presents itself.  It's like watching a car collision in slow motion ...ya know it's happening and can't do a thing.  I hope we both.....all three with Homesteader....get workable solutions.  Soooooon, please, God?  

Nothing I heard about today.....but don't think my mom had much chance to tell me.  We talked of pleasant things like: starting a puzzle that she can actually put together.  She'd started one at beginning of COVID and couldn't get it finished.  I couldn't be in there to help ....EVEN with a puzzle!  :buttercup:   Then Maui called and congrats were in order for a graduation [of sorts] and a birthday.  Pictures sent for us to "join them" -  a nice conversation around their dinner table. 2 of us "Social Distancing from CO".  :gathering:

Jeepers, I'm not sure if their auto payments are coming out of the CC ....or from their bank account.  I HOPE from the bank account!!!   That would only leave grocery, Walmart, etc on the CC.  My dad thinks he owes $17  on CC..... doubt that!  BUT  he's ALWAYS right..   :buttercup:  ...except he knows he can't remember if he walked upstairs! 

THANK YOU for prayers ....all of you!!!  I was about at wit's end last nite......and I"M not IN the HOUSEHOLD.  I can hear my mom wearing out.  :sigh: 

MtRider  :offtobed:   .....got to bed at 4AM last nite cuz dog NEEDED to GO OUT at 2AM.  SHEEEEEESH!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 5

It seems like everyone is trying to just make it through the current crazy.  I am praying for everyone.  

When I was having to care for my grandfather, before he went into diapers, we used a potty chair.  It was tall enough to get up off of and close enough to not have a ton of extra transfer issues.  Completely worth it.  We also set up a hospital bed in the living/dining room so everything was central.  Papaw had one leg amputated just below the knee and the other leg above the knee, so transferring and mobility were a huge issue with us.   We did the same thing with my uncle who passed at a much younger age about  decade prior to that.   You may qualify for a home health aid and/or nurse to come in and help you.  Not sure if that is still even available with the covid insanity.  

• Like 6

Mt. Rider, I'm glad you got to have a virtual party with your kids! 

That's a lot of paper Annarchy. Remember when they said computers would take the place of paper? Pffft. Now we use more paper than ever printing stuff off of the computer; computers crash. Gotta have a paper backup.  :blush:

That reminds me, I need to dig out my shredder and dust it off and get to 'filing' bunches of paper that I don't want but has my name, address etc. on it. Personal information that someone else could run through their computer and print out.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I'm praying for everyone. These are hard times for sure. It's bad enough going through these issues in the best of times. But with this virus and all of the rules it's brought with it, it makes everything doubly difficult. :pray:

I'm in your boat Miki. No parents to care for. I'm the elderly one in my little family unit. My mother died when she was 38 years old and I was 18. I never really knew my dad. It's pretty hard to bond with a daddy when you meet him the first time when you are in your mid 30's and live hundreds of miles away. 

I can't imagine what some women (and some men) are going through taking care of their parents and raising their own kids too. Especially now. 

• Like 4

I am grateful to be where I am (georgia) the governor is lifting restrictions as fast as he can.  I am also convinced I got out of the nursing home just in time to avoid being a hostage to covid.  As frustrating as it is to deal with coginitive issues, it is far better than isolation, which ALWAYS makes it worse.  Hang in there ladies....God always sends just the right amout of grace to strengthen you just when you think all is lost.  My prayers always include you and your families.

I am heartened by the reaction of our little kitten.  Scruffy (with the itchy face....vet said we would have to put down if it was a immunity disorder) has reacted spectacularly to the anti fungal medicine she gave us.  Not only is he easy to medicate (just hide it in some chicken shreds, and there ya go ... all gone!) but he is so much friskier and happier now that he is healed up.  His itchies are nearly all gone and he is quite handsome; and he is the first one to jump up in your lap for some loving if he spots you sitting outdoors.  Looks like we dodged the bullet - that is twice now, that we did NOT euthanize an animal and things turned out fine.  Phew!

We are picking "conehead cabbages" now (Jersey Wakefield).  Mary has never seen a conical cabbage...she calls it a "comical cabbage"....but they sure taste good.  The lettuce is all picked and eaten; collards, kale and broccoli are going strong along with snap beans starting (Mary likes the yellow wax beans) and the tomatoes are blooming and making little ones, IF we can keep the aphids at bay - we knocked them off with a strong water spray and that helped.  We have Dawn soap spray waiting in the wings.  The irish potatoes have a grub issue, but the sweet potatoes (so far) are coming along nicely.  They were slips I picked off a sweet potato from last summer, that I rooted just for jollies (to see how they would do).  They are growing nicely. 

The big thing right now is ANTS everywhere.  We have to spray the outdoor kitties' food dish with Pam spray on the outside & bottom every few days to keep them out of the cat food.  Its the best solution we have found that does not involve poison, but we have to keep an eye on things.  No trouble, since the weather is warming enough to require me to put out cold water & ice cubes in the water reservoir every morning.  All the kitties, both ours and the wandering neighbors appreciate a nice cool drink.  I refill everything with cold water again in the evenings with the night feeding and dish spraying.  That along with diatomacious earth dust drawn in "circles of death.....bwa-ha-ha-ha!" around the food & water seem to work at least for a couple days.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

......forgot to add Annarchy and MIL to our group concerned for our elderlies!!  Give them wisdom too, God!  :pray:  TX - AZ is a huge distance problem!  Then there is the SPACE problem.... 

Kappy, my friend is treating her latest rescue older cat for "cat acne".  Got him in for that diagnosis just before COVID.  She's had to keep up with the med but it's working.  It's on his face/chin.  Glad you found something for your kitten!  :wub: 

Wellllllll......I just had to tell y'all...........  IT'S SNOWING ALL OVER THE COLORADO HIGH COUNTRY!  Might snow all thru the night.  Got various sizes of groupel from itty-bitty to pea size snow pellets.  Then....it changed over to SNOW.  Were expecting this overnight.  I'd like to see it continue.  So far it's not sticking on gravel of driveway/roads but is sticking on and among the pine trees....and on grass. :darlenedance:  MOISTURE!  Antithesis of wildfire.  :amen: 

My mom just called....wanted to know if I can find which Dish channel the NASCAR race is on right now???  I was trying but he started yelling and she gave him the phone.  I quickly said I had a lot of data but need to find data for his location on TV.....  So he stayed quiet while I clicked buttons.  I've never had cable/dish TV.  Haven't had ANY TV for decades.  I'm outta my league.  So he says: I think I'll call G  [my brother in DC] cuz he seems to be able to find this stuff.  :happy0203:  Yeah, Dad.....that would be a better idea!!!!  ;)    {MtRider passes the hot potato to Lil Brother!}  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Good morning everyone!  I hope this week goes better for all of us!

Walked and did short video, called groomer for Peanut Butter's haircut, cleaned and polished shoes.

Still need to prune rose garden and make a pizza.

Taking it easy, today.

• Like 3

We finished hanging items in DD16's new room and painted the nursery this weekend.  We decided on Behr Mossy Cavern green and it looks great.  Someone is supposed to come by this afternoon and buy our giant roll top desk.  I hope she shows up and decides she likes it.  Proceeds are going to the baby gear fund.  Now that the nursery is painted, I'm gathering up all the various baby stuff I've stashed around the house and am dumping it all in that room to sort through.  

Today's focus is food tetris.  I have a bunch of various fruit on the verge, some potatoes, and tomatoes that all need to be used or preserved within the next few days.  There are various leftovers that need to be used, and I need to check the garden to see what is ready now.  ooooffff.   Planning today and probably in the kitchen all day tomorrow.  

• Like 4

DH went on his once-every-two-weeks :shopping: to grocery early this morning.  Dropped off for my folks and my dad was in a VERY grateful mood.  :shrug:  Can't ever tell.  Yesterday, he hid his car keys from himself [on purpose]  ......so he wouldn't just take off when he's not thinking straight.   Yeah, read that sentence three times and see if it makes you :cheeky-smiley-067:   [even the part about.....he's driving?]  :sigh:   

Then as I was trying to talk to my mom on the phone last nite, he was getting more and more furious .....cuz he couldn't find the keys :sigh:  and he DID remember that he hid them from himself.  :shakinghead:  I want an update on that one tonite but I surely WON'T be asking him!   It's a wonder my mom is sane at all.

I've got a new saying for her.  I gave her a new puzzle when COVID began and in two months she could NOT finish that thing!  So she put it away and began one of her other puzzles.  She finished it in a couple days and is much happier!  :lol:   I'm going to tell her:  You're old.  Success Has To Come Quicker!!!

:whistling:  Not that any of us are in that category.....

Sunny warm day.  I think I will try to walk dog.  DH came home with groceries to sanitize JUST after I got up.  Hadn't eaten.  Got the tremors and blithering-brains before I'd finished.  He was in basement with the rest of the groceries.  Gah, can't start my day off so BIG!  Gotta  e a s e  into things!  Y'know?  :rolleyes:  Soooo, I'll see how walking does by now.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

With us, it's less food tetris than food juggling.  Sigh.  When we drop the balls, we sometimes drop spectacularly.  DS1 and I have both been sick a while, and I can smell bad potatoes.

Sigh.

• Sad 5

If your dad his the car keys, how in the world will he ever find them again. Oh boy. That could be an adventure! I get it, hide them from yourself. Hope he doesn't blame some one for stealing them. They do that a lot too. Glad he was at least in a good mood for your husband. And for your sainted mom. Bless her. 

Love your saying. "You're old. Success has to come quicker!!!"  It sure does apply to me too. Ain't nobody got no time for waiting around no more. :24:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2