MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Shoes have been crazy for awhile now.  I have no issues buying decent ones from thrift stores and garage sales.  

Me either!  Easy Spirit's aren't cheap and that is about all I wear.  Most I get from thrift stores and some are new with tags

Short list today and already finished it.

Put chicken wire in back garden for peas to climb and to corral watermelons. Asked DH to just stand outside and hold post where I attached fencing. He decided to step over fence, missed getting 2nd foot over and fell flat on his back. When he fell, it looked like someone gently laid him down and I credit Angels. Never seen a fall like that- almost in slow motion! He came in and took a long hot shower and says he is fine.

Then watched Church on lap top, next long and short exercise video.

It's supposed to rain this afternoon, so anything else will be inside.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

So glad your husband wasn't seriously hurt, Miki. That could have gone really bad fast.

Which exercise videos are you doing? 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Today was an 'easy' day.  Ha!  Yesterday was supposed to be easy but there was too much yard work to do.  Poor M was running around trying to get things done altho I tried to get her to pace herself a bit.  Made fresh home baked bread as a reward.  Dinner was pork chops & cheesy rice.  Today I de-fatted the chicken broth from the night before, and put soaked lima beans in it.  Butter beans tonight with our steak.  I can think of a better use for that lovely chicken broth I had from cooking those huge chicken breasts.  (I made it double strength - kind of - by simmering the bones in it another 8 hours.)  

So today is a 'kind of' quiet day.  Our propane grill died last night so we got another.  Now we have to put it together but will do it indoors as it is getting rather warm. 

Spent some time chasing off the big black cat that is showing far too much interest in one of our females.  Not that I would mind some cute black kittens, but I do not want the males fighting with him over territorial rights.  So we keep chasing him off.  Besides, he keeps eating all our cats food.  We share with neighborhood kitties, but they gotta be polite, and he isnt.  So scram, kitty. 

Spending extra time with Scruffy - one of my kitties.  He is being treated for a skin condition, if it does not improve he may have to be put down, which would be very sad, as he is quite the personable little guy.  He even takes his pills without too much struggling, though he does not like it.  Doc thinks he may have an incurable auto-immune disease, but on the chance he does not we are trying the cure.  But we cant have him suffering if it is incurable....so....I may have to bite the bullet.  I will cuddle him at the end if need be, so he is not afraid.  The least I can do.  Then I will have a good cry.

Edited by kappydell
  • Sad 3

I'm sorry Kappy. Prayers for the little kitty. But I agree. It's more cruel to let them suffer. Even though it's so hard on us. Extra cuddles and tummy rubs are always a good thing.  :hug3:

Glad your dh is ok, Miki.  :amen: 

Felt at least ok today.  Just went for walk with DH and dog.  Then cuz walk was short [ 4/10ths of mile] we played Grass Island keep-away with dog.  She thinks that special..... :shrug:  ....for some reason.  "I'VE got the ball and you don't!!!"   :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I've been off dairy for most of this year.  But DD1 had a CHEESECAKE delivered for Mother's day.  Hey, cheese is kinda 'cultured'.  Maybe it will work???   :unsure:   Hmmm....maybe not.  Just not feeling well plus more sinus-bronchial congestion and ...stuff. 

MtRider  ....but I LIKE cheesecake!  :sigh: 

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

So glad your husband wasn't seriously hurt, Miki. That could have gone really bad fast.

Which exercise videos are you doing? 

I do a 35 minute Leslie Sansone walkaerobics and a 15 minute Leslie Sansone Fast Walk on Sundays.  All other days I walk around town twice and do the short video, weather permitting.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Miki. I really need to start up again. I like the old Richard Simmons DVD's. I know, I know he's out there but I love the oldies music and they are not too strenuous. 

I think I need some balance exercises as much as anything. I miss the library being closed. I still have CD's a couple of months over due because they even closed the drop box. 

• Like 1

Library here just notified DH by email today that they are now opening their drop box.....so keep an eye on yours, Jeepers.  Depending on how the box is set up....and how often staff are now checking it...it may plug up again rather quickly. 

Y'know...... "Ah, COVID!" is going to become a new swearing word! 

Pray for kids all over U.S. that are TRYING to take final tests for A.P.  classes.  The A.P. Physics one [ today or yesterday?] crashed for thousands of them!  They'd completed their tests but could NOT send and have it accepted.  It's a timed test and it simply did not take all of them.  Usually these would be given in each location in person.  So this is new due to COVID.  My GrSon about came unglued cuz he could not get his test to enter after completion.  These kids have studied at a college level all year....and will get college credit for this if they pass.  He has an A.P. English one tomorrow.  They've been doing remote learning for 8 wks now and this is the finish for these classes for this year.  I think they will have to retake the Physics one..... 

MtRider  :( 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Mt.Rider. I'll keep an eye out. They don't have my email address though. I got the card before computers were popular. Probably in the late 1980's. They are right behind my house so I'll keep checking. Or I can keep checking their website. Their drop box is attached right to the building so they can get the materials out right away as long as someone is there. I'll do the drop off during business hours. Seniors don't have to pay overdue fines so I'm good there.

The seniors sure have had a rough school year. Really all of the students have been disrupted. Prayers for them all. Especially your dear grandson. That has to be so aggravating and worrisome. :pray: 

I just checked out our library's site. Drop box opens at 13 locations on June 1st. Mine is one of them. I'm not going to be rushing into the building and bringing any materials home any time soon though. :animal0017:

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

Walked and did video this morning, put pork roast in slow cooker for carnitas, then went to Walmart for a few things mid month, then Dollar General for tissue paper for wrapping eBay. Then to local co-op for 2 more bales of hay.

Came home and disinfected, repackaged and put away everything (except hay). Made phone calls to banks as we have to open a new account for eBay alone.

Still have to make salads and more salad dressing for DH. And then stop for the day.

• Like 2

Helped put together the new grill we bought.  It was frustrating - the directions were simply drawings.  We had to re-do several things, several times.  But we did get it done.  Now we have to take it outside - we worked inside due to rain.  Dogs were cranky because they do not like to do their business in the rain (and we certainly do not let them do it inside, lol).  Played referee most of the day.  Oh well, Im sure the new apple trees & pomegranate bush liked the slow, soaking rain.  The cats hung out in the carport, muttering & grousing.  Not much to hunt or play with in there, but it is dryer.  

• Like 3

Jeepers, ....live 'next door' to a library?  :wub:     I'd like that!  Except I'd probably have to live 'in town'.  ;)

The library called DH [who is a regular customer for their video movies]  Their new system is:

-- drop off box any time

-- anything dropped off will be unavailable for 72 hrs while they wait for any virus to die

-- if you are picking up something, you'll have a time and a parking spot.  Someone will bring your books, etc out to your car [numbered cones at each parking spot and they'll space people apart]

-- if you have anything to bring back, get out and drop them in the drop box yourself before getting your new materials

I told the lady that it sounded well-thought-out and organized.  She laughed....'We'll see as we start this week'. 

Yeah, what's that the military says:  No plan survives the first engagement with the enemy....something like that.  :shrug: 

MtRider  ....so DH will have some NEW movies to watch....and the new Hawaii 5-O TV shows too. 

• Like 1

:amen:   Just got a quick note from DD2.  Grson was able to take AP test  [it was biology, not English...oops]  and SUBMIT button worked fine.

MtRider  :happy0203:  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This weekend, we primed and painted the downstairs bedroom a lovely light blue.  Yesterday, DD16 started moving her stuff downstairs.  S...L...O..W...L..Y.   I need the upstairs room emptied so that we can get it painted before the kids leave for the summer (ex-husband.)  I think I may have to go shift the rest of her things down today.    On the plus side, she is telling me that she wants to purge most of what is left :cele:  which is desperately needed.   DH is going to change out the light fixture in her room for one with a ceiling fan today.  Ceiling fans are necessary for us.  

I'm hoping that I can get some of the baby items I've bought moved into the upstairs bedroom soon.  I've currently got them cluttering the garage, living room, and my bedroom.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

Okay, tell her that whatever's left at noon is fair game, and have at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Good idea Amber. 

Our library is on the street right behind my house. There is a woods between the two streets so it's not really within walking distance...for me. But less than a five minute drive. It's only a few years old so very modern with all the modern conveniences. They have a drive up window like at banks so that's probably how we will pick up materials for awhile. Order online then pick up at the window? I'll be glad to get rid of the stuff I've had here for months but as much as I miss the library, I'm in no hurry to go in. I really wanted to get some landscape/garden ideas from books and magazines. I have quite a lot of online stuff but nothing like holding a real book with pretty glossy pictures. :reading:

Glad your g-son was able to actually submit his test. Bad enough being anxious taking a test (not that he was!) but then having to worry if it will get submitted. These are trying times for sure. For everyone. 

I hope people are learning some lessons from all of this. Being prepared and how things can quickly change and being responsible for yourself. Speaking of preps and libraries and books, I ran across a couple of really neat books for kids about being prepared. I would have bought them but they were for Kindle only and I wanted real books to send to 'you-know-who'. Plus they were around $4.00 each so I passed. I'm too spoiled with free Kindle books. Anyway, they were called Prepped Pete. By Kermit Jones Jr. 

I found the actual books. They are about $9.00 each for about 30+ pages. Yikes. They are also sold out of them. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

Amazing what transpires in ONE week these days.   :grinning-smiley-044:  It seems like a month!! My SIL was allowed to see her mom with Alzheimer's ONE MORE TIME. The healthcare center called it 'end of life' visit. My SIL was going to spend time with her mom (she's there every week when allowed), comb her hair, rub her shoulders, hold her hands, and give lots of hugs. Instead they were both dressed in gowns, masks, and gloves and placed TEN FEET from each other, even though everyone tested NEGATIVE for the virus. My SIL was devastated and has been crying ever since. The staff said that there would be no more visits until a VACCINE was available.   :gaah:   I asked her if her daughter in law could help as she's a nurse at the nice facility. SIL said she didn't want her DIL to get fired for helping. Are you guys taking notes??  :0327::runcirclsmiley2:

SIL is visiting my mom today and doing her cargiving duties at this other nice retirement center. She will sit my mom down and carefully explain everything that's transpiring in our extremely liberal county where my mom lives. She wants to make sure my mom understands that if she decides to come and stay with us for awhile, it may be with what we can carry out of the facility in our hands.  :imoksmiley:Our home is 2-story and my mom has lost so much physical ability these past two months, it's going to be a challenge. I know she won't make the NEW 2-month restriction.   :yar: My My!!   How the world has quickly changed before our eyes. State and local governments refuse to give up their newly found power. They are drunk on it and getting worse.   :pc_coffee:

My friend from Indiana said that her husband, an attorney, came home and said that at least one of their judges isn't coming back to the courtroom until there's a vaccine available. :0327:  Has the world totally lost it?   :hidingsmile: My friend calls the extrication of my mom ... Operation Laundry Cart. I about died laughing, if it wasn't so true.  :yar:I will be so thankful to God when we're able to get her in our home, shut the door, and lock out the insanity around us.  :hug3:  Now I feel better. You can go back to your regularly scheduled programs now.  :24:

• Sad 4

Wow, Homesteader.  We've got enough problems with keeping my folks supplied and satisfied but I'd be pulling my hair out in your situation. 

My mom's cousin [94 yo] is in a nice retirement home in WA state.  They went into 'room lock-down' a few wks ago.  Can't leave room.  She doesn't care as long as she can sit and read books.  If she runs out of books, she'll let them know!!!  But many folks would not do well with merely that.....and I'd worry that she's not getting physical activity.  She's sharp as a tack but we all know that physical activity is needed too.  I think they do have times to individually go outside???? 

I can understand the fear of having COVID sweep thru nursing homes.....since it has.  Yet life must go on or life will stagnate and cease.  Especially for those closer to the end anyway.  I don't think my Aunt D sees herself close to any end, despite her age tho.  :thumbs:  

My folks went to Walmart yesterday.  :buttercup:    I'm rolling eyes not because they should NEVER come out of their house ...but that my dad NEEEEEDED a printer RIGHT NOW!  So off they went.  They did wear masks and always sanitize hands afterwards....even pre-COVID.  [ They never get sick either!!]   He has been printing literally reams of paper from computer.....?????  [ fortunately, does not have Internet except phone ]   With the dementia, it's something that keeps him busy but I doubt even he can make any sense of what he's always writing/printing.  :sigh:    Well, NASCAR let him down so he has to do something.  :shrug:

I am VERY glad my folks are not in a nursing home situation.  NEVER should such a place 'take over' choices about when to pull someone out.  Families and the resident [if cognitively competent ] should be making that choice!!!  Operation Laundry Cart  ......  laughable, yes.  But horrifically historic too.  May it never be!!!  :pray:  

Homesteader....does someone in the family have Medical Power of Attorney?  I don't understand all of how that works.  My brother was able to get that for my folks...and both of them have it also for each other.  Phew!  He has financial too....just in case.  All three of them have both.....cuz sooner or later, some of that is going to be needed.  So tho he'd do so very carefully, he has the right to see medical records and make decisions.  I didn't want that responsibility....especially the financial.  I seriously don't do numbers.  Anyway, might that help in overruling some of the nursing home power plays ....if it should come to that?

Is anyone else taking notes on aging? As we've been dealing with my folks, I'm thinking of ways to make my elder years EASIER on our DDs.  Our plan to move to THEIR location is all about that.  I'm noting other things too.  My mom is the most amiable of people.....after living with my dad who is opposite.  :shrug:  I hope to lean to my mom's side when old(er).  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   yeah, just gimme a book to read and I'm good. 

• Like 3

Vent away Homesteader. And you too Mt. Rider. I don't have any idea what I'd do in your situations. 

I thought about my own situation when buying a house close to son. My main, and first priority, was a one story house. That is the one thing that will keep me in my own home longer because of my back, knees and neck. Everything else is gravy. Said from someone who still hasn't moved over there yet.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I bet you are about ready to make your move, aren't you, Jeepers?  I know you can't right now, but maybe ready! 

Walked and did short video this morning, put out 2 bales of hay (most over front garden) and finished with a little on back garden. Have completed 3 loads of laundry.

Supposed to make hummus and sugar free pudding. Not sure if I will do either one.

And I will tell you all that it would have to be extreme circumstances before DH or I will go into the hospital or any other facility!  I get nightmares about all this!  We will stay home if there is any choice at all!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Homesteader....does someone in the family have Medical Power of Attorney?  I don't understand all of how that works. 

I am the financial and medical power of attorney for my mom. My younger brother and I are very close so we make many of the decisions together. Mom probably won't have anything left of her estate, but our promise to our dad before he died 20+ years was to care for mom. We've done that and aren't worried about the money. She is though.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I bribed her tonight with getting her out of the Center for awhile. She's having a lot of chest pain (nitro patient), shortness of breath and stomach pains. She and I are pretty sure it is the toxic living it is emotionally for her. After 40 minutes on the phone, I think she's willing to stay out of the Center after I take her to the hair appointment. It's been 9 weeks.  :hidingsmile:  I suggested that we grab some of her things and she take a vacation at our place (neat idea from our church nurse) instead of having to go back into 14-day lockdown after the hair-do, or make an impossible decision to permanently leave that place. She is going to think about it. As of tonight, she's willing to give it a try. She may become too fearful by tomorrow.  :0327: I sure am glad my traits took after my dad.  :24:

• Like 4

Miki, I really slacked off on packing etc. But just today I took three bags of junk to the dumpster. I also have another load of paper/cardboard ready for the recycle bin. Now that the weather is breaking I'm getting more energized. Also, I think the vitamin B-12 is helping. I think I'm finally getting my strength back from being sick last February with ongoing stomach issues. And migraines. The corona has set me back in so many ways too with things being closed and social distancing. I'm so over this virus mess. 

I'll stay out of hospitals as long as possible too. It will have to be an emergency to get me there. I don't even want to go to the doctors office but I'd like to go again for meds one more time before my doctor retires in July. I don't know how accommodating the new one will be.  

Homesteader, vacation sounds nice! 

• Like 3

After walking and video, I had to go to town to open an account for eBay since their rules are changing. Don't want them in my normal account. Stopped at Kroger for local sales and a thrift shop, then home.

That's all for today. My hip has been hurting so I started taking glucosamine again. Time to back off the mega walking and exercise plus gardening for a day or two.

• Like 1

The big check for my house sale is still on hold, but the bank let me have me a teaser amount, like a hushpuppy.  And, coincidentally, the battery on my laptop "suffered a permanent failure and must be replaced."  Which, naturally, is not covered by my warranty.  The warranty people want me to send the computer off for other warranty repairs, but can't guarantee they will get to it within two weeks.  And the extended warranty runs out in August anyway.

So I bought a new computer.  I had my son poke around and sort out the options for a couple of days, and I picked one of the four he suggested, then I went on Amazon and was about to order what I thought was that machine (Amazon does not always make it easy to tell what you are choosing, though).  Luckily, he pointed out that I was fixing to click on something with a quarter of my current hard drive size and so on.  I'm using 19% of my current hard drive's space, so this sounded like a problem.  I dialed it up a model for $200, and only thought later that for about $50 we could move my current hard drive to a case to use it as a backup.  

Buying something this bid always feels like a huge mistake.

I always think of ten ways I could have done it better, or cheaper, or could have done without for another week...maybe.

But it's done.

• Like 3

oh homesteader, my heart aches for what you must go thru.  the tendency of the state politicians  (the bean counting kind)  to want to run every aspect of life (especially now that they have the authority to meddle in EVERYTHING) was one of the reasons Chainsaw Mary & I ran when we had the chance.  (That and the ridiculous taxes up there).  We would be afraid to come back (even for a visit lest new travel restriction inhibit our return)  now that the powers in charge are stretching their tentacles and showing their true faces.  I pray constantly, daily, for an end to this covid thing and the destruction it is spreading in more and more aspects of our lives.  I have serious misgivings about whether the election will be un-tampered-with especially with all the state execs calling for mail in ballots....I for one have not forgotten how easy it is to tamper with mailed in ballots by 'losing' them  (and nobody ever gets punished for that kind of shenanigans, you know....).  I will gladly mask up, glove up and bathe in rubbing alcohol if need be to cast my vote...in person....since the despots need to be voted out.  I better get off the soap box before the internet thought police come after me....

• Like 3