MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today, I pulled and washed carrots.  Pulled most of the cabbage, one good one is 8-10” in diameter. Wow!  Left 2 in the ground and gave the hens a couple that were overly munched on by aphids.  They loved it.  Then, cubed 2 half loves of bread from the refrigerator, that was left over from when mom was here, and sun dried it.  Got an half pint of panko and a pint of plain breadcrumbs that can be made into Italian crumbs or whatever we choose.  

Tomorrow, I need to process the carrots.  I’ll probably slice, blanch and freeze them, to be able to fry or just boil them.  

Got the first tomatillo, it’s as big as store bought. :amen:  And, have been picking tomatoes almost daily.  Not quite enough to can yet, but, there’s more coming soon. With our heat, some of the bottoms have heat burn.  We water every day now.  

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the computer, researching the steps, forms, & reports necessary to start a non-profit business for DH’s friend. Yikes!!!  I never would have even imagined how labor intensive it is.  Good grief, the annual tax form is 14 pages long!  Nope!  I wouldn’t do it without a lawyer and a CPA.  :gaah:

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the computer, researching the steps, forms, & reports necessary to start a non-profit business for DH’s friend. Yikes!!!  I never would have even imagined how labor intensive it is.  Good grief, the annual tax form is 14 pages long!  Nope!  I wouldn’t do it without a lawyer and a CPA.  :gaah:

Even then, we have friends going 'round and 'round WITH a lawyer and a CPA for the last few months.  I think they're finally getting it set up.

• Thanks 1

We made the decision to move my mom out of the retirement center and into our home. :0327:  The county she lives in is high on demigod power juice. That's what happens with a liberal university. Most of the folks either work for the city, county, state, or feds. They don't have to worry about their businesses filing bankruptcy.  :gaah:   I'll pack a bunch of stuff on Saturday and we'll escape when I take her to the hairdresser (first time in 10 weeks). My brother has been trying to call them but they're not answering the phone. He will let them know that mom is going on an extended visit and the monthly rental check will continue until she either returns to an opened county, or we move her out. It's all a 30-day notice, so we're prepared with a rental storage building in case the retirement center forces her out. We doubt it but one never knows with all the insanity these days. Sure they protected the old folks from Covid but they've been dying of other ailments due to doctor offices being closed. Go figure.   :imoksmiley: 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

The CG, after sending him my preliminary break down of the requirements, forms, & reports, he said “never mind”. And, I still didn’t get into his state’s requirements.  My brain hurts.  :shakinghead:

Homesteader, I pray all goes well with the transition and she adapts well in your household and you do too.  A friend of DH’s had a heart attack & deceased, because the ambulance &  hospital refused to take him, because of the covid.

I guess I will be busting it on my office tomorrow afternoon. A lot more paper to purge, sort, shred and throw out. My goal is to make room for the bed, that’s being delivered tomorrow.  Then, whittle down my clothes to make room for her stuff. Yeah, my head hurts, trying to figure it out.  And what to do with my office, art supplies, computer and desks.  If I can work it right, I may leave my office in half of the room.  She will have to deal with me being in there off & on to do my work.  Sigh.  Small house....

• Like 4

Yeah, Annarchy.  I get the small house thing.  Then we have less space cuz of the mice.  There was one under the bed chewing....HOPEFULLY on the poison!  Hmph.  When will MIL return to AZ?

Homesteader.....YIKES!  :pray:  that all will go smoothly....at least you'll get her settled at your place.  :pray:  also for when you DO have her at your house.  Did you ever get your kitchen put back together?  When does Operation Laundry Cart happen???

What a circus this COVID has created ....and we're not half done with all the ramifications of this time period.  Our state is scrambling to make up the deficit from low sales tax, etc.  Keep an eye on that aspect in all your states/counties too.  I was reading about ours today.

MtRider   .....for LittleSister and her dh  :pray: 

• Like 2

I wouldn't think they could kick her out if she is still paying rent. One less patient to tend to. But these days you never know what to expect. :hug3:

Annarchy, you need a 'she shed'. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Annarchy, you need a 'she shed'. 

:happy0203:  Definitely!

That’s the next big project on my list.  Several years ago, I cleaned and cleared the shed out, installed insulation, drywall and peg boards.  Re-did all the electrical, with the over-seeing help of a licensed electrician, put in a window AC unit, work bench, and shelving, and re-shingled the roof, for DH.  He used it, until... it got too cluttered... I’d put things back in their place.... but... you know... stuff gets put in there, out of the way, and before you know it, it’s spilling out the door...   :groooansmileyf:  Then, we had the huge Palo Verde tree fall, over on to it, during an extreme wind and rain storm, which took shingles off, causing the shed to leak in a couple of places.  BIG project to tackle...  after I get mom’s room done.

As for her coming back here, IDK.  She made a passing comment, ‘never’.  :sigh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

:happy0203:  Definitely!

T stuff gets put in there, out of the way, and before you know it, it’s spilling out the door...   :groooansmileyf: 

I feel your pain. We've been mom-proofing our place to prep for her move this weekend to our place. Started with cleaning her bedroom, which has stuff left over from her last move. Into the third bedroom, but there's too many boxes for that to happen. DH suggested we rent a garage just down the road. It's brand new and very nice. We snapped it up and have starting moving stuff into it. Stuff from the bedrooms. Stuff from the lower level so I can move my computer hutch down there. That frees up room on the living room wall for mom's TV. My huge growing rack system has to be torn down so the computer hutch will fit in that space.  :imoksmiley:  Did I mention that the bathroom is torn apart because the simple changing of the toilet to a high-rise turned into tearing out some of the subfloor due to a wax ring that was failing? Might as replace the floor covering and floor moulding while we're at it.  :24:  DH had already committed to helping a carpenter tear out a kitchen and bathroom of our mutual pharmacist at church this week, so he's working on our place in the evenings.  :0327: Mom will be happy when she arrives. We will be exhausted.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

:hapydancsmil: IT RAINED......not snow....RAIN today!  Course there was the usual mountain thunderstorm too.  Unplug the laptops and other fragile things.  And it reallllllly POURED DOWN for a while.  I was watching it pass thru on the Doppler.  Green/yellow/red rain and storm speckles all over CO today.  Bits of blue [snow] speckles on the highest peaks.  Our expanding container garden is WELL watered.  Had to cover it all cuz now we're quite chilly and could frost tonite again.  We're expecting a lot of rain chances this week.  We are definitely out of fire danger for a while...... lol  few days at least.  A dozen collard babies.  Peas beginning to peek up.  Lettuce in the big tin wash tub.  Potatoes in 3 containers need more soil dumped in again.  I'm really curious about how those will turn out!!! 

Got my truck going.  I'd left it too long in this COVID ...just used the car.  So DH climbed half into the motor to take top off the air filter and spray a bit of starter fluid down carburetor.   It's a big old Ford truck.  Then it started right up and I took it for a spin to get all parts moving again.  LOL......It's been so long since I drove it, it was still in 4-wheel drive for snow/ice.  Felt that when I started....stopped and got out to turn the hubs on the front wheels - back to 2-wheel. 

Dehydrating sliced mushrooms DH got yesterday.  May have to run it again tomorrow...today is HUMID compared to our usual.  Tomorrow we have to drop car off at mechanic for some usual stuff and a Maintenance Required light.  Ugh...EARLY.  :imoksmiley:  I've been sleeping from 2-10 am. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

After all our work yesterday cleaning out, defrosting, and moving freezers so Sears could deliver our new one, CM called them to see when they were going to deliver it, because today was the day they gave us when they postponed our order.  Oy!!!  NOW it is not coming for another two weeks!!!  At this rate CM is fuming and wants to cancel the order and re-order from someone else....until I pointed out that those "others" were still projecting delivery dates in June or July (and that was back in April when we were ordering).  Probably even later now.  So we will not so patiently wait.  Cant complain overly much, does no good.  When re re-loaded the 2 small ones we put the 2019 items in one and the 2020 items in the other.  Easier to rotate stock that way.  Oddly, the thing we had most of was....STEAK (!!)  There were really good sales last summer & autumn and we bought extras.  I guess we can suffer thru steak for a while, LOL.  But with the meat prices now double what they were a month ago, I sure wish Sears had come thru.  The kitties are confused with all the extra room in the carport (we also made a huge clear path for the delivery men to get the freezer in and positioned.  We now have a little extra time to pick up the freezer locks we will be putting on both.  

62235512_scruffymay182020.thumb.jpg.3379748eb0f706281e605f048e6ed84f.jpg

This is Scruffy 2 weeks ago when the vet said he might have to be put down if his skin did not improve.....we decided to try medication first so delayed the euthenasia.

THIS is Scruffy yesterday while he watched us do the defrosting.  Hair & whiskers returning...he loved the music and watching us work, as well as the occasional tummy rubs when we took a break.

889893616_scruffymay272020.thumb.jpg.f563f0f3e26a305ca5da8b66ba580035.jpg

796333015_visitorkittybutterscotchapril2020.thumb.jpg.089cbd552ef199a4341fea4755f02844.jpg

And THIS is Butterscotch as we named him.  He comes and hangs out in the shed when we have long days of heavy rain, and since he is polite we let him stay as long as he wants.  He always leaves when the weather improves, but appreciates the shelter, the chow, and the petting (wow does he purr loudly!)  He is mellow so he is welcome.  

There has been only one cat turned away because he picked fights with the males & tried to "have" the females.  We run an orderly cat house here, ya know?

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

Going to be running around and helping a friend for a few hours a day for awhile. Still walked this morning but no short video after. Ordered shoes yesterday on eBay for more walking!

Pulled a package of baked turkey out of the freezer, but looks freezer burnt so I will probably pull out a turkey breast to bake if needed.

• Like 2

Good Morning,

Sunny and hot here, as usual.  We were 109° yesterday.  Probably be that hot for a while.

I harvested the carrots, we got 8 vacuum sealed bags.  :amen:  DH likes them fried.  

There is a plant in the garden I cannot identify.  It sprouted in the cow pea row, even though none of the cow pea seeds grew.  It is about 3 foot tall now.

02128DC8-230D-4F00-8AE3-90A1E6AB1C7E.jpeg

Here’s a closer picture of the flower and pods it’s making.  Ignore the tomatillo plant, sprawling out under it. :happy0203:

6BDB132E-B4B1-4C73-BA63-941DEFEF3FA3.jpeg

The first pod to fry/dry out, has small black, heart shaped seeds In each of the little sections.

D899E69A-38C8-42C9-B85E-01F1E40A76B9.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh my.  That’s it!  Thank you, euphrasyne.  

Cultivation and medicinal uses[edit]

Velvetleaf has been grown in China since around 2000 BCE for its strong, jute-like fibre. The leaves are edible stir-fried or in an omelette. The plant is known as maabulha in the Maldives and its leaves were part of the traditional Maldivian cuisine, usually finely chopped and mixed with Maldive fish and grated coconut in a dish known as mas huni.[6] The seeds are eaten in China and Kashmir.[7] To make ropes, coarse cloth, nets, paper and caulk for boats, Velvetleaf is still being cultivated to this day in China.[8]Velvetleaf can be used as a treatment for dysentery and opacity of the cornea and can treat eye injuries. The leaves of the velvet leaf contain 0.01% of rutin, and used for a soothing, lubricant treatment that softens irritated tissues. When the leaves are softened, they can be used a remedy for ulcers. The bark of Velvetleaf can reduce the flow of bodily fluids such as blood, secretions, mucous. It can promote the flow of urine.[9]

An invasive species in the US...

• Like 1
On 5/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Then as I was trying to talk to my mom on the phone last nite, he was getting more and more furious .....cuz he couldn't find the keys :sigh:  and he DID remember that he hid them from himself.  :shakinghead:  I want an update on that one tonite but I surely WON'T be asking him!   It's a wonder my mom is sane at all.

I think there is a device that you can add to your keyring to be able to find it if it is "lost." It might not be a bad idea to explore this possibility with YOU being the "keeper" of the beeper!!!   :bow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 5/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, Jeepers said:

I hate wearing a mask. I got too hot and the smell was getting to me. Breath or mask? Hard to say. Next time I'll pop a mint to see if it helps. I had to hurry up and finish shopping.

If the mask is "required" by the store you are shopping in, you can tell them you have medical reasons for NOT having to wear one. If they "challenge" you or ask what (medical condition) prevents you from masking up tell them that info is covered by HIPPA regs, and the ADA allows you to not comply with the demand for wearing a mask.

(Here's a story about some shoppers suing a store under the ADA: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2020/05/26/Giant-Eagle-customers-breathing-problems-sue-company-covid-19-facemask-policy/stories/202005260086

The store might not make you wear a mask, but you'd better watch out for the crazy "Karen" shoppers who might cause you some issues! :gaah:

A recent viral video captures one shopper, who is not wearing a face mask, being shouted at, vilified, and asked to leave by a handful of grocery store customers in Staten Island, New York.

In the video a woman pushing a cart without a face mask is surrounded by people shouting "get the f*** outta here" and "get out", as customers repeatedly point towards the door and she is pressured to leave. Newsweek has reached out to the person who posted the video on Twitter for comment.

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/new-york/news/0P9Cn6XK/new-york-shoppers-hound-customer-out-of-grocery-store-for-not-wearing-mask-in-viral-video

This YouTube vid a someone's commentary on the situation. I am posting it here because it contains the video the shoppers going nuts!

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Annarchy.....that's the bane of soybean farmer's existence!  Well, that and morning glory vines and Jimpson weed.  WE called it "Button Weed" in Iowa.  Our family, and most others in that era, "walked" the bean fields.  Every row; every foot.  We had 200 acres at the home place.  More at Grpa's.  More was in corn than beans but.....a LOT.  We kids could pull out the morning glory and some of the button weeds.  But Jimpson has big thorns and is as woody as a small tree.  EVERY year. 

Anyway, there are completely different weeds called Virginia Button Weed tho....  So I looked for a different regional name and came up with Eurphrasyne's Velvet Leaf.  I didn't see the name she called them.  They do have the softest leaves.  Way softer than "nature's toilet paper" = mullein leaves. 

Number 13 at:

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/insects-diseases-weeds/types-of-weeds/?slide=slide_2699ab5a-c78c-4c73-9c7e-18b93ec09cc1#slide_2699ab5a-c78c-4c73-9c7e-18b93ec09cc1

'Course....this site is saying a lot of good eatin' "weeds" should be eradicated....  :buttercup: 

MtRider  :lois: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

I think there is a device that you can add to your keyring to be able to find it if it is "lost."

:lol:   .....I don't think they make enough of those devices to "tag" all the things he loses.....  :rolleyes:  

Then again, I've only lost my Kindle ONCE.....and I'm considering that a miracle!  :grinning-smiley-044:  

MtRider  ....he did find the keys....on his desk; not hidden.  :shrug: 

Littlesister, left over steak is great for French dips.  Thin sliced French bread, buttered & baked until just crisp. (Or bolillo bread or any bread for that matter.)  Thin slice the meat.  In a bowl, mix a Tbsp of minced onion, a tbs of beef bullion and a tsp. of pepper, heat til boiling, microwave.  Then, pour it on the meat.  If desired, spread mayo on the bread.  Fork the meat onto the bread & use the left over juice for the dip.  DH loves ‘em.  That’s what we are having tonight.  :thumbs:

oh, my...Mt_Rider, did you see perslane on the list.  Mmmmmmm....  

I might harvest the pods, leaves and stems, just because.  But, I don’t think I need it growing in my garden.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

oh, my...Mt_Rider, did you see perslane on the list.  Mmmmmmm....  

yes!  And plantain is good medicine, for petes sake.  Don't poison; pick them! 

It does get rather BIG.  But hey....if they scarcity of T.P. continues, you might want it growing somewhere....  :whistling:  

MtRider  :lois: 

Oh my, that video is scary. So far it isn't mandatory to wear masks here ...so far. I heard they will be mandatory starting tomorrow in Virginia. I wear one anyway. But then again I'm not out shopping much either. I don't know if it's just the ones I got or what but they smell unpleasant after awile. Hardly anyone wears them up here. Service people do but not even half of the people out and about have a mask on. Too many people that I see with one on have their nose hanging out. 

• Sad 1

Poor little Scruffy. No wonder the vet talked about putting the little dear out of his misery. Bless you for going the treatment route first.  :wub:

And Butterscotch is aptly named..so cute! 

The Chinese jute/velvetweed  can be eaten or used medicinally...just like Kudzu.  It take over like Kudzu too.  You will get a lot of it and nothing much of anything else.  It strangles out the rest of your plants.  I used to fight it when I lived down south.  It was in the neighbor's yard and he would not deal with it, so it kept coming back into mine and choking out my corn and tomatoes.  

I'm hating the new mask law in VA.  I cannot breathe at all with it on, DD16 is hearing impaired and reads lips, and I'm more scared of people than getting covid right now;  people are crazy.   DH went out yesterday and said all the businesses already have no mask no service signs up.    According to decree 63 it is enforceable by the health department but it STILL counts as a class 1 misdemeanor, so Northam lied about not wanting to prosecute the public.  He is just wanting to destroy small businesses even more (close down if not enforcing his policy) before he goes after individuals.   We also only have to wear them inside...because the virus does not spread outside.  Oh and we have to wear them at restaurants...except when we are eating.  I'm envisioning...mask on.... mask off, bite.... mask on...  rinse, repeat.   I'm not leaving the house.  

I forgot to add.  It says point blank towards the bottom of the decree that we are not supposed to wear medical grade masks, but rather cloth ones.  Yea.  they really doing this to keep us healthy.  

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-63-and-Order-Of-Public-Health-Emergency-Five---Requirement-To-Wear-Face-Covering-While-Inside-Buildings.pdf

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1