MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Walked, picked up prescription on the way and then did video, fed dogs, Went to hardware store for garden stakes (they only had 4), then grocery for bananas.
Made sweet potato treats for dogs, hard boiled eggs and then baked turkey breast.
Did one load of laundry. Only thing left (besides packaging turkey) is to make an outside compost bin out of a lick tub. That is next!

• Like 6

Speech therapist was here a while ago. Then I ran to post office to mail the bills. Tired of putting in mail box for the mailman to loose. Still have a water bill floating out there somewhere.  Then off to bank to cash a small check. DH's allowance as he calls it. Now we just put it in our emergency funds. Need to get started mopping floors and cleaning up kitchen. Since DH decided to spend the day sitting up in bed watching TV as his legs are shaky and weak today. Rather he stay there as I don't need him to fall. 

Right now I have so much I need to do and starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. Never did get to do the spring cleaning so that will now become fall cleaning.  No garden this year. Though might see how things go for a winter crop. Collards and other things. Need to figure that out.  

Feel like I could use a nap right now. 

Going to make tacos for dinner tonight. All salt free stuff. Will see how that turns out. But must be very careful with the sodium. 

• Like 3

Collards, brussels sprouts, all kinds of root vegetables?  What grows well there in winter.  Alternatively, what can you plant in August/September that will stay banked through the winter?  I have tons of seeds.  Name something and I very well might have seeds to send you.  Seriously.

• Like 1

Worked at the garden a bit while hubby did more cleanup on the truck.  It's been a work truck for years so as well as having Abby-girl's bench in the backseat area.  He put the seat back in...with my help :-)   I re-filled the tubs via the watering tubes and gave the potato beds a sprinkle as well as all my other plants.  All are doing good.

Then came home, had lunch and he headed out to work site and I hung up some of his work shirts and painter pants...on my two new lines!  Then came in, pitched in another load for tomorrow and commenced the ice machine to making ice.

Then did some vacuuming but didn't get to the dusting part...just too hot.  Hubby's going to put the a/c in the window in the morning, then off to work site.

Thursday he's driving down to step mums to see what she's needing and what he'll need to have to get it done.  Seems one of her electrical outlets on her deck won't support her floor lamp.  She enjoys sitting out there in the mornings, looking over the lake, drinking her coffee and reading her Bible.  Gotta get her taken care of.  He's planning to do the work Saturday.

Brother and sister in law are in Arkansas, taking a tour o the diamond mines etc.  She sent pics.  He's got himself a nice electric scooter so he's able to really enjoy the trip...and his oxygen tank rides right there with him.  Glad she's taking good care of him and I told her so.

Getting ready for a shower...waiting until late because of the heat.  I'd just be all "dewey" again before bed time.

• Like 4

Brought home mama over the weekend. She was like a deer in headlights since she's not been out in 10 WEEKS.  The healthcare folks were trying to save them from the virus but killed them from depression and lack of medical care for all their diseases. I am so disappointed in our nation"s healthcare.   Now we have terrorists that call themselves demonstrators. Thankfully we live in the boonies. I'm not in the mood to dicker with them. When they threaten and kill our law enforcement around the country, they're fair game in my crosshairs. A totally undisciplined generation. I don't care what color they are. I don't mind demontrations. It's in our Constitution. Destruction of property and taking of lives just changed the game rules.

On the brighter side, mama loves it out here and doesn't want to go back into isolation or the city riots. I'm thankful.  :)-

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 6

Glad you got your mom home and ......right now, she likes it!!!  :amen: 

....same ole; same ole .  Let dog out, she barks; let dog in.  Eat.  Read.  Internet news  :(   Eat.  Walk dog.  Watch Doppler for rain....here it comes down HARD!  :)   No wildfire!!!!   Call my mom.  They did get to Walmart this morning and she stocked up again.  Reports that all the shelves are well stocked....EXCEPT THE PUZZLES!  NONE!  She wanted to buy a new puzzle or two and everyone else has got that hobby during COVID.  :laughkick:  Bet coloring is all sold out too.  Glad they're stocked again....JIC.  Our county is opening up but still holding on new cases.  Iffen one needs to get out, these next few days seem to be a window.  After that??????  :shrug:  No one knows.  :pray:  

MtRider ....took 2 hour nap for missed sleep and now I'm up late.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

Way too many terrorists of both stripes wearing sheep's clothing among the protestors.  Gotta hate it.  

I'm going back through Mrs. S posts from October 2008 and from 2009.  Interesting stuff.  You should pick a topic or key word and look back into the past.  

• Like 3

Glad you have your mama home with you! I'm sure it's a relief for everyone. Terrorist is a good word for the "demonstrators".

Lawsy Amber, don't look back at anything I wrote. My mind changes with the wind. And you know how I digress!  :icon19:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Governor of Wisconsin issued a decree that all National Guard will be taken to the riot areas of Madison and Milwaukee in BUSSES. He doesn't want the citizens and protestors to be UPSET over military vehicles.  :gaah:    :0327:  I say, "give me my anti-armor piercing vehicles and to hell with the Governor." On second thought, grab those soldiers that are guarding the Governor's mansion and redeploy them to the hot spots.    :24:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I think I just went covid-crazy.

I had the fabric and insulation loose in one spot under the trailer when I bought it here a couple of years ago.  That got worse, and I have since found out that this causes STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS.  Accordingly, I assumed it would be an expensive fix, and was putting off the repair until...now.  Called around and settled on a company vetted and approved by Angie's List.  Supposedly.  I called and was advised the entire job shouldn't take much more than $100, maybe as much as $200.  I was dumbfounded.  Sent her photos.  She said, Yeah, all the fabric is still there in one piece, and you just need two little pieces of new insulation to tuck in.  Scraps.  They see way worse all the time.  This wouldn't take a whole hour if the guy was running slow.  She brought up the question of whether the AC was leaking, which was a major concern I hadn't got around to mentioning yet.  I have cold air rushing out from under the front steps in the summer, in the afternoons/evenings.  Only from there, only then.  She said one of the ducts was loose, and the man could push it back into place.

Today two men showed up.  Said they were there to deal with the ducts, nothing else, and wouldn't do anything else because they couldn't see anything wrong with the ducts (which are not visible from outside the trailer).  Said it would cost $200 to even crawl under the trailer to look.  They had no insulation with them, and nobody told them anything about fixing up fabric or insulation--they were just there to fix ducts.  I called the woman I'd spoken to, but the voice mail box was full.  The men wanted $45 cash to leave.  They don't do debit cards.  They did not want to give me a receipt for the cash either, but I had thought to bring a notebook out with me, and I wrote one out for the guy.  At that point, he brought out a pad and wrote one out for me.  It has a different business name on it, interestingly.  They said they didn't doubt there was a leak in the trunk line and to call back one day when I felt it.  They could fix it then.  I said I would call, but never them, not for any reason.  He stood there with his mouth open.  Why, ma,am? 

Why?

He wants to ask WHY????

I turned around and went back into the house while I could still move.

Angie's List says it has no record of this business.

• Sad 5

Wow, Amber!  Why, indeed!

Walked early and did video (boy, it's more humid and hotter earlier every day--like summer. LOL).

Went to thrift store, then bank appointment (was having trouble with synching new bank account with accounting website for eBay.) Then picked up glucosamine at Walmart.

Came home and relaxed for a little bit. Now I have about 12 pounds of carrots to slice and 10 pounds of squash and onion to slice and stew down so I can PC tomorrow. Thank God for my food processor!!!

• Like 4

Note to self...just because a company says they are listed with Angie's List means nothing. Check Angie's List website.  Sigh. I'm sorry that happened to you Ambergris. It could happen to any of us. I'm going to have to be hyper aware when I start in with the service men/women. Thanks for the reminder though.  :hug3:

Crap. Ignore this box. I can't get it gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ordered a couple of things from Amazon. Should arrive tomorrow. Remember back in the day we had to use an order form with a check or money order and "Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery". We are spoiled.

On the other hand, my mattress still hasn't arrived! An email said if it doesn't arrive in 3-4 days I can get my money back. I don't want my money back. It was 15% off. All that time I was watching the weather to choose the best day to have it delivered.  :008Laughing:

I just checked Amazon. They still have the mattress in stock. Delivery this Friday. Pffft.  

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Homesteader, glad you got your mom home and safe.  Glad to see she is adjusting well.

Ambergris,  We have lots of seeds for winter crops.  Just got to get the garden readied.  

Heart hospital called this afternoon and we talked to the surgeon. DH has some test to do and they are going to make it as easy as possible to get the test done another Cath and from that the mitral valve will be clipped. It is leaking bad.  He will stay over night in hospital after that and go home the next day if all goes well.   Please :pray: for him that this will take care of his issue and he can then be on recovery to get his strength back. He has really suffered with this.  It has been so hard for me to see him like this. 

Ok, DON'T LAUGH!  I did something I have never done.  We had a neighbor in coast guard that was transferred to Texas.  They have been dumping furniture and things. I had been watching but did not need any furniture.   But, I did go over there this evening and went through some things. There was a trunk in 100% shape. Small but deep. Looks like a small foot locker and has wheels on one end. I opened it to see what was inside as it was a bit heavy.. Five black sheets, 2 of which I don't know just what the material is as it says to dry at 12 degrees then hang to dry. I will just wash and hang to dry. Don't know yet what I would do with them. But they were free, so I took them.  I also took the trunk. Great for storage. Also there were 12 cans of Ballistol multi-purpose lubricant.  For cleaning firearms, penetrates, protects and preserves firearms, leather, knives, tools, locks. All free and brand new cans. Also 4 cans of strike hold cleaner lubricant protectant for all metals.  Don't know how good they are but for free I feel I haven't lost anything.  There was also what they call a crock stick dog bone pocket knife sharpener. There was a bunch of them in a plastic container. So yes, I took those as well.  There must be at least 20 of them. There was also 4 small round containers of Burceigh balm.  It is sort of like bag balm. These have never been opened.  It contains coconut oil, honey, vit. E and beeswax.  Figure it could be useful for use like you would use bag balm.  All of these items still had the price tags on them. Don't know if he was selling them or not but he put it all in the trunk and put it on street for garbage pick up.  It was funny, because as soon as I got what I wanted and came home, a truck with a woman drove up and went through the rest.  Got my stuff just in time before the next person. 

I now have DH in bed and resting, he is watching TV. So I have a little time for myself. Going to try to catch up on a few things tomorrow as I have pulled out all the winter clothes today and have them sitting in office. Now I need to pull out the summer clothes so I can put the winter clothes in the other room in dresser. I really hate having to switch out clothes every season, but dressers and closet won't hold both winter and summer clothes. So off to the other bedroom for the winter clothes as soon as I pull out the summer ones. 

• Like 5

Hubby got the window a/c put in...so thankful!  Today it was 90 degrees!  THEN...this afternoon the ceiling fan messed up, so he took it apart and found a wire had come loose.  He'll fix it tomorrow evening when he gets home and then put it back together...PTL!  For those who don't know...when our central air went out about 4 years ago, a repairman told us to put in a window unit as close to our cold air intake, and turn the thermostat to cool, and set the temp to match the temp on the window a/c and that the cold air intake would pull in the cool air and push it through the ducts.  It works like a dream and you wouldn't believe how much cheaper it is to cool now.  The only room that isn't quite as cool (it only has one vent) is the kitchen.  

Hubby will take off in the morning to go check step mum's "honey do" list for her screened deck's floor lamp.  It's supposed to storm this evening and maybe tomorrow, but he'll be inside.

I dug her a start off my Comfrey plant...she bought one last year and it died...so I told her I'd give her a start off of mine.  It's a bit "wimpy" right now, but I potted it in compost with some Comfrey tea, so it should liven up and be ready for her to transplant into her spot.  Gave her planting directions so she shouldn't have any trouble with it.

The Wooly Lambs Ear plant that she gave me last month is flourishing.  I always pitch in a fermented Comfrey leaf when I put in a new plant.  Kind of stinky, but oh do plants love it!

• Like 5

today Sears messaged us with a 4th delay in delivery on a freezer we ordered back in April.  CM was so angry that she cancelled the order  I was the negotiator talking on the phone, she gets mad and hangs up.  First they offered us #50 for our inconvenience...CM said no, $25 per change or $100.. Nope, Sears declined.  I asked CM if since it looked like we were being messed with all over the place, should we cancel and mess back with them.  Yes, she said.  We cancelled a $800 order.  Then they said there would be a non-refundable delivery fee.  Oy!  I was mad then, and asked them why a delivery fee when NOTHING was delivered.  Unacceptable.  (Like we would pay them to mess us over?)  Another long hold, then  "OK you get the full amount back".  Then the next one...it will be 15 to 30 days before it is being returned.  I asked them why?  Are they slow walking it from Chicago?  They tried to blame covid, saying the banks were slow.  Uh-uh, I said....banks were open during the covid thing as a critical institution.  Besides, the transaction was electronic....instantaneous to take the money during the covid business, so it should be faster getting it back.  Lots of apologies, which by now sounded rather contrived.  I could not get then to expedite it.  So then I found out who the VP in charge of customer relations is and fired off an email, complaining of third world service.and requesting expediting of the check to restore there heretofore superior reputation in my eyes.  We will see if it works at least I felt better after pestering a bigwig.  Maybe I can sent another copy tomorrow....and the next day.....and the next...Needless to say, when we do get our money back we will count it carefully then go buy a freezer somewhere ELSE.  I do mourn the passing of Sears.  They sure have gone downhill.

• Sad 5
7 hours ago, kappydell said:

So then I found out who the VP in charge of customer relations is and fired off an email, complaining of third world service.and requesting expediting of the check to restore there heretofore superior reputation in my eyes.  We will see if it works at least I felt better after pestering a bigwig.  Maybe I can sent another copy tomorrow....and the next day.....and the next...Needless to say, when we do get our money back we will count it carefully then go buy a freezer somewhere ELSE.  I do mourn the passing of Sears.  They sure have gone downhill.

Excellent. Fast thinking while on the phone.  :thumbs:  I let DH do those phone calls. He's so quick.  :hug3:

• Like 2

We had a very similar experience today.  Got a call from WM Pharmacy (recorded) that hubby had a script that was due to be refilled and if he wanted it refilled, to call them.  So...he did.

To make a very long story a bit shorter...they're still filling scripts from our previous primary care doctor because...now don't faint..."they can't locate the scripts from our current primary care provider"...and when confronted that we had "hand delivered a paper script" their only reply...well, we can't find them in our records.  So...they're filling scripts from a doctor that's no longer our primary care provider and no longer practices other than as a dialysis physician!  So now what?  With all the "junk" where all the medical offices are not really "open" how do you get new prescriptions?  An appointment beforehand costs each of us 200$ ...and a "telephone" appt. would also cost...just to get new scripts that WM lost.  We're really concerned because we're wondering if they'd say ..."well, we need to test you before we can write new presciptions".  

Next...hubby went to see what step mum is needing and she had a honey do list for him Saturday.  Tomorrow he'll be taking the little work trailer to the Roost to load up all the brush he cut and take it to their maintenance garage to be disposed of.  Then back home to work on his customers room.  I probably won't be seeing much of him until Sunday.

As a PS:  We did "prepare" our long black stick and put it by the front door (between the wall and the cabinetry) so that all I have to do is rack and press the little black button...if I needed to.

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 4

Walked this morning and went with DH to pulmonologist appt. Stopped at thrift store for wicker basket with handle for harvest days, then Tractor Supply for metal garden stakes.

Came home and staked tomatoes that needed it, then pc'd 6 quarts of squash medley (spicy), 2 pints of yellow squash and 13 pints of sliced carrots. Most of it came from my neighbors who use the food pantry but can't use all of the produce they give--however, they know I will! Love my neighbors!  They are both older single ladies who don't have use for canning.

My garden is coming in now! Picked jalapenos, okra, yellow squash and zucchini, cucumbers and my first tomato that is turning. Honestly, I didn't know I had any cukes until I found some that looked like watermelons, then started looking harder. Sweet peas now have pods, not just blossoms and the actual watermelons have blossoms. Good year so far, wonder what we will get from the tropical storm?!

• Like 3

My goodness!  Why is it that we have to stick a boot up the posterior of people to get them to just do their jobs?  Good heavens, doesn't anybody get fired anymore for failure to perform?  Or do you have to have the wrong politics to get fired?  Sheesh.  

Started my crockpot up with the beef trimmings to make broth for canning.  Then ran outside and moved our mama cat into the carport with her 5 little ones, as her nesting spot, while nice for hot weather, is in the area where our roof drains down when it rains, and it was thundering and getting ready to rain.  Fortunately mama cat is very calm and trusts us with the babies.  We made her a nest box like she has had before, just inside where everybody would stay dry.  CM wants to take the kitties in for a vet check - I dont know how young is too young, but the vet just loves babies so she will probably make a fuss over them.  She was shocked that Scruffy's face had healed up so quickly and completely - and she was delighted too.  She was NOT expecting such good results and said if it wasn't for the crook in his tail she would think we had switched kitties on her.  

One of our dogs is the motherly type...she loves babies of any species, and loves to cuddle and wash them be they canine OR feline OR avian....its all the same to her.  I guess if we needed a foster mama she would be happy to step in.  To her, babies are babies & she loves them.  Fortunately it has not occurred to her to try to mother a fawn - that would be a little complicated!

I guess every homestead needs at least one universal mama.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, kappydell said:

My goodness!  Why is it that we have to stick a boot up the posterior of people to get them to just do their jobs?  Good heavens, doesn't anybody get fired anymore for failure to perform?  Or do you have to have the wrong politics to get fired?  Sheesh.  

We're in the generation where none of the children can be smacked and everyone wins a trophy no matter what place they take in the race.   :gaah:

• Like 4

...and,” they“ EXPECT you to give them something for nothing.... and...employers get sued for firing because of incompetent work, “they” always have an excuse why you were so mean to them, you hurt their feelings and caused them emotional damage.....   :soapbox:

• Like 2

What a mess with your scripts We2. Doctors are so touchy these days they want a test for everything before they refill. Of course that's an extra office visit and lab work $$$. 

I got mine filled for three months this week. No more refills for me either. And my doctor will be retired by then too. She's out the first week in July. I'll miss her. 

Ugh, Ive been sneezing all night and now I have the hic-ups. No justice in this world. I sound like a one woman circus band act honking and a snorting. Blowing air sneezing and sucking air hic-up-ing. So far i've been able to 'hold tight behind' as my grandma used to say. It could get interesting around here tonignt. Depends on how fast I can leap out of the bed and waddle down the hall to the bathroom in the dark. 

The mattress came early this morning I don't know what the weather is over there. It was nice the original day I had picked out for delivery. Two days ago.

I need to figure out about tagging my car next. I sort of forgot about that. They usually send out the paperwork in mid March for me but I dont recall receiving it. I don't think the branches or emissions site is open yet. i called them twice and got a busy signal. Guess they don't have call waiting. Birthday is Saturday and they make a big deal about being even one day late and the fines they levy.

I ordered a couple more boxes of surgical masks. I ordered with more virus attacks in mind. They won't go to waste though. Some one here will use them either in the garage or doing dusty yard work. I don't want my supplies that low ever again. I still can't find hand sanitizer. Son wants to turn my one acre 'estate' into a wind, solar, self sufficient garden plot. Bless his heart. Some days I want to hug his neck and some days I want to go up side his head. 

I wrote this last night and must have fallen asleep in the middle of it. I woke up this morning with the tablet under my shoulder and the unfinished post. Pfffft. I'm posting it anyway. :rolleyes:

• Like 4