MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Kappydell, have you tried fried zucchini spears?

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015255-fried-zucchini

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fried-zucchini-recipe-1916114

Thanks Jeepers & Ambergris.  For $75.  we got a nice one.  We will need to get one piece of hardware for one side of a drawer, and maybe change the lower file drawer locks, not a big deal.  The dark part, is a thick beveled piece of smoked glass to protect the wood from, staples, paper clips, and ink marks.   

AZ only has one major recreational water system that goes through the state.  And, when the temps exceed 100°, people flock to it.  Roosevelt Lake, flows into Apache Lake, flows into Canyon Lake, flows into Saguaro Lake, flows into the Salt River, where the people rent inner tubes & bus rides, then, into the Tempe Town lake.  By the time it gets to the city, not much water flows past.  Plus it’s tepid, dirty water, from all the people.

Edited by Annarchy
Eta to add Glass.
  • Like 4

Hubby got all the brush and limbs from the Roost loaded and taken to their maintenance site.  Now that they have it, they'll be open during the week for people to bring their stuff that needs to be disposed of.  GOOD!

Me?  Just did laundry and tried to stay cool.  In the 90'ish with plenty of humidity, so even washing dishes washes up a sweat. Wearing my summer dresses helps a lot!  I don't wear them outside the house, but they're sure comfy and cool inside!  We bought them (I have 8 or 9) when I had the hysterectomy surgery several years ago...and they were wonderful both in the hospital and when I came home.  Now they're working inside to keep me cool!  I'd do my chores "naked" but hubby's not here when I do them!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Took a day off from walking and exercise today! Put out a little epsom salts by the cherry tomatoes before the tropical storm hit. Processed apples and put in roaster for apple butter, went to Church--first time since the craziness started.  Had to leave every other pew empty.

Came home and set up my vitamin supplements for the month and set up DH's meds. Water bathed the apple butter, wrote one draft for eBay and planned what I am canning tomorrow. Relaxing now!

• Like 4

:twister3:    Yimminy!  The WIND was ferocious today!  I stayed inside and we could only have one door open at a time.  Else we'd look like a Disney cartoon with things tumbling, rolling, marching out the back door, pushed by the wind from front door!  [that DID happen one day and I had to collect things out back yard!!]   I think I could feel the wind and dust coming thru the cracks of of the logs and chinking!!  No wonder my house is so dusty!!!!  :dusting:  

Hope it will be calmer tomorrow.  Would have gone on dog walk .....cuz it's usually calmed down just before dusk.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Not this day! 

Had a baaad night for sleeping.  :scratchhead:   Went to bed and an hour later, I was even more wide awake!  Took a second [I thot] one-half sleep aid and sat up reading Kindle for an hour and half.  I was reading a children's story so it's low key.  No suspense stories when the goal is SLEEEEEP!  I looked up and was startled to see it was daylight....5:30AM.  Was finally able to get 6 hrs of sleep then.  Took another hour nap early afternoon.  Very odd day!  BUT....y'know?  I think I did NOT take the first one-half pill before I originally went to bed.  Cuz there should not have been a half sitting there tonite.  :buttercup:   Sometimes I confuse myself!  

MtRider.....took that one-half already tonite!!!!!!  :offtobed: 

• Sad 4

Staring at my home-office desk and thinking I was supposed to have made a calendar for things I need to do for personal business too:

Find a different handyman to tack up the fabric and insulation under the trailer. 

Find 

Oh, a tree just fell

• Sad 4

Good morning! Did 40 minute video this morning because of rain from tropical storm. Already took lots of eBay photos for DH. Next feed dogs and then start prepping and stewing down more squash, onions, tomatoes and jalapenos to PC. Also PCing potatoes for steak fries today. Everything is either gifted to me or from garden.

Need to finish a craft project with silk flowers and call in meds for DH. Also have to go to Post Office as we had a package delivered that is not us. Had two different addresses in this town and neither is ours. Just don't know.

• Like 3

Went back to the grocery store with the good sale on ny strip halves, they were out yesterday.  Hey, they are out today, too.  Maybe tomorrow the meat man says.  Got some chicken breasts instead, they had bonless, skinless ones ones for the same price as plain ones with everything still attacked.  Came home and divvied up the big packages into meal size ones.  Skinned and boned the thighs bought yesterday.  I guess I'll get up early again tomorrow and try again (yes the sale price at $7.95 a lb) is that good.  Even plain old ground round is going for nearly that much.  Got some yummy fresh peaches - the price on those is down to what I will pay so it must be peach season.  CM says she likes them canned better than frozen for eating over ice cream.  Now that is an easy dessert.

The same store brought back their "grannie hours" (must have had a LOT of complaints, they suspended them when we started the covid opening up stuff).  Its 5AM to 7AM on Wednesdays only.  Since I have been getting up early anyway, maybe I'll have a look see to see if it is worth it.  Whoever the heck told them seniors did not like to sleep in was wrong, but at least once I will have a look see.  

Heard a good one today....."Did you hear about the vaccine against covid?  When someone coughs in your face, you just throw something and yell "No Justice No Peace" and it kills all the covid germs."  must have been discovered by the same folks who keep posting that masking helps nothing, that it is just a sign of opression.  (Junk science strikes again!)  

Tomorrow is voting day in my state....Ill be there even if I have to shower in rubbing alcohol!  We have several senate and county judge races going, and those are (arguably) as important as the presidential race, as they are a lot closer to home and much more likely to affect day to day living.  Like I always have said, if you don;t vote, you ain't allowed to gripe about the results!

Face with Medical Mask on Google Android 10.0 March 2020 Feature Drop    Alarm Clock on Google Android 10.0 March 2020 Feature Drop       

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

The boys came and drug a tree off the driveway.  The chainsaw will have to be replaced.

It's been a long day.

My older male cat is mashing up against me.

• Sad 3

Ambergris.....it does not sound like you're having a good time.  :pray: 

Hope you don't get too much from the tropical storm, Miki.  :pray: 

DH will head for the grocery early tomorrow.  It's his Every-Other-Tuesday.  It's worked out well so far.  :shopping:  But early doesn't mean 5-7AM like Kappy.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Good luck with that!  

Sooooo...that reallllly bad WIND I mentioned....this was written about that UNUSUAL event.  Told my mom, when I called to warn her, that I've never seen a storm system look like that!  I'm a Doppler Radar fan, definitely.  This article confirms my claim that it's rare and potent! 

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-06-06-colorado-winds-power-outages-damage

QUOTING..............

A derecho packing winds in excess of 75 mph moved across Wyoming and Colorado Saturday, damaging homes and knocking down trees and power lines.

The storms produced several hurricane-force wind gusts, including a 110 mph gust in Winter Park, Colorado, according to the National Weather Service. Winds up to 99 mph were reported in Great Divide, Colorado, and 81 mph in Rock Springs, Wyoming. A 78 mph wind gust was reported at Denver International Airport.

Enough significant wind gusts were recorded on Saturday that a record was set for most significant wind gusts in one calendar day.

The derecho, a strong line of thunderstorms that produces hundreds of miles of straight-line wind damage, developed in far eastern Utah Saturday morning, then raced northeastward across Colorado and Wyoming into the western Dakotas and western Nebraska during the afternoon and evening hours, a track of at least 750 miles in about 12 hours, according to Elizabeth Leitman, a meteorologist with NOAA's Storm Prediction Center.

According to Leitman, there were only two other Western U.S. derechos documented prior to Saturday, in May 1994 and June 2002.

END QUOTING...........  BOLD is mine

Our power was blinking off and on several times but then stayed on.  :amen:   But I was pouring more water into jugs/buckets/bowls in between the outages.  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

TODAY.......  we were anticipating the SNOW/COLD that's sweeping down thru this night.  Oh yes.....SNOW!  :tapfoot:   The plan for this year's kinda-desperate garden is for containers up here by house.  Inside the 10x20' dog kennel.  The site of the much-maligned Circus Tent.  THIS time tho.....since the Donkey Palace has been dismantled, so we have all of the parts to construct a decent greenhouse.  It won't quite fill the 10x20 but most of it.  We did that today........ #BECAUSE SNOW!   :frozen:  

Took a lot of time.  The parts are tubular rounded ......well, it's just gigantic Tinker Toys.  Long pieces and end pieces.  Some had corrosion and we used a lubricating fluid that didn't spray as well as WD40 would have.  [ahem, the garage mice chewed up the red end thing on the can of WD40]  :motz_6:  Anyway, this stinky stuff worked.  The thing is like a craft fair tent...a double section.  Got the tubular frame sections up finally....with a lot of ladder work and banging bent pieces in.  Then I was :faint3:  So was DH.  He takes blood sugar stuff and he was getting hypoglycemic.  It was over 85* and I was going towards hyperthermic.   Already feeling a bit nauseous.  So we quit and went inside.

He ate quickly and I took shower/washed hair.....then ate.  Rested for quite a while.  When today's strong but not wild wind died down, I went out to see about putting the plastic skin on our greenhouse.  I'd done this before so it went quite well.  Then the final process of making sure the wind does not send it flying.....I called DH down to help.  Heehee....he was shocked to see it up cuz he thot I went for dog walk.  He was cooking supper but shut it down to help me "batten down the hatches" .......#BECAUSE SNOW!  :frozen:  

It took at least an hour more.  Armed with bungie cords and heavy weights and such.  Everything was inside/cozy before dark and the cold front arrived.  He went up to finish cooking and I took dog for a drive.  We left the car hatch open and she ASSUMED we'd be walking down at the road.  So she hopped in.  Uh....no.....not tonite....OW!   She was satisfied with a drive to mailboxes. 

I see more Tylenol in my future.....  :groooansmileyf:    BUT I'm so pleased to have that done!  With that, we have a chance at producing this season.  Didn't get to start my seeds under lights but I got my GREENHOUSE!  Saves from hail and deer lips!   Hmph!  Containers will save from bunnies and other ground-dwelling marauders!  :tapfoot:  We have most of them up on top of things.  [ great green envy for Kappy/CM's gardens!!!  ...but don't envy GA HEAT/HUMIDITY.]   :grinning-smiley-044:

DH's pork stir-fry was :yum3: 

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dum-dum-dum....the green house...  With everything going on, that's both ominous and overdue.

I am all in favor of grannie hours.

Never heard of derechos.  I need to pick up a new introductory meteorology book, because the old one here doesn't mention microbursts either.

Off work because I finished my assignment unexpectedly and the boss is not in to give me a new one until nine.  

I was talking to some millennial gig workers yesterday, friends of DS1, who refuse to apply for the $600 because they think it will end up having been a trap.  Someone brought that up and a rushing chorus of agreements followed.  I thought y'all would be interested in that reaction.

• Like 2

"$600 will end up being a trap"........   :scratchhead:    As in:  when you get called back to work, you'll make less money? 

DH will restart his 2 days / week next week.  Pray that COVID does not come to visit our less populated county.  And yes, at part-time, he obviously made more on Unemployment +$600 but not when your job restarts.  Then it all stops and you'd get nada.  Life restarts as normal again.  Obviously.   :shrug:   We were glad for that back-up while it lasted.  Life is EASING back to our normal.  Not sure if restaurant business will be profitable.....if tips will be like they were last year....  ???  But we'll survive. 

3" of snow....  I saw it with my own eyes at 5AM.   Saw it start at 2AM when I was going to bed.  Went back to bed after bathroom trip at 5....and woke again at Noon Thirty!  :o   Whoa!  [how did I sleep that long? ] 

And the snow was GONE....MELTED.....nice!  :amen:

DH had gotten up and left.  Went to the grocery...Walmart....bank....our friends' restaurant for take-out.....and picked up 2 cherry tomato starts at the feed store.  Had returned home and unloaded by himself.  Took trash down to the bin by the road....and walked the dog.  By the time I stumbled out, he and dog were just coming up the stairs.   I have NO idea how I slept thru all that!  It was quite a physical job yesterday to construct the greenhouse.  But sheeeesh!

We had to unload some of the melted snow water from "valleys" in the greenhouse roof plastic sheet.  Tightened up the plastic in more places.  Applied duct tape [the good stuff!] in strategic places.  This structure will take some tweaking for a while.  With our fierce WIND and rain/snow....things get shredded.   DH said it felt warm in there when he checked early :frozen: this morning.  Ventilation will be needed but not too much on these colder nights.  Hmph....ventilation will not be a problem with our greenhouse.  :lol: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Carrot cake jam turned out good, but... I haven't made any jam or jelly in a long time and I put the sugar in first, then had to mix the pectin with cold water and heat it separately, then add it to jam.

Did long video this morning because of rain, no walk. Got big pork roast in slow cooker for carnitas, Have third load of laundry in washer, Getting ready to sweep house, since rugs are being washed. Have 5th Bible study to do so I am ready for Church tonight. Also need to write about 3 eBay drafts today.

But really, any ideas??? (besides pickles and relish) to can zucchini and yellow squash. That is how I have to preserve most all from the garden.

• Like 1

Been a busy couple of days. Yesterday Took DH to Hospital for his test. Ended up taken all day as the computers were down and we had to wait. They did the dental clearance but when the pulmonary test was to be done the computers went down and we had to wait till after 4 pm. It was after 6 before we got home and I still had dinner to fix.  Then today we had home health, physical therapy and speech therapy for his swallowing.  DH has gone to bed already. He is worn out. To much for him in these 2 days of test and therapy.  Yesterday was his first day out of house since he got out of hosp. on the 22ed.  It was rough to say the least.  Thank goodness for my son in law. He has been a big help. 

Today after the 3ed therapist left, I got DH a late lunch and then went outside to pressure wash the house. I haven't done that in a long while and the house on the outside just felt dirty.  The patio was really bad. I haven't finished with everything I want to do, but if weather holds out I will work outside tomorrow also. I have a lot of catching up to do and the inside can be done on the rainy days.  I will miss the garden this year though. But am going to till the garden up and have it cleaned up for hopefully a winter garden.  Working on the details for what I want to plant. Collards will be one of them but not sure of the rest yet. 

Thinking I will be taken a muscle relaxer this evening before bed. Every muscle in my body is hurting tonight. DH had a hard time getting up on his walker and I had to help him up.  I am starting to feel that pain in my arms as well. He is dead weight when he can't get up from a sitting position.  That only happens when he is really tired as his legs just give out. But once up he is walking with the walker. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

I had to help him

I used a weight distribution belt when I had to assist my late husband.  He was a very heavy man and I couldn't have done it without that belt!

• Like 3

I loafed!  Took care of most of my household things and then some Mon and Tues.  Surprised hubby by taking all the trash to the dumpster and then the dumpster to the street.  Then I changed the furnace filter...yesterday! LOL

Hubby hauled brush to the street at the homestead this morning until it began to rain.  The city is picking up debri from the storm that came through.  We didn't have anything here and only a few small limbs at the homestead so he got really busy yesterday and pulled most of the vines out of the "neglected" corner and took it to the street. After lunch he worked for his customer and I loafed.  Listened to some christian music and listened to Alexander Skouby read scriptures and then got my new bath of yogurt into the frig for tomorrow's breakfast. 

We went to Menards and picked up 10 heavy duty totes and then $Tree for some storage bags.  I'll be packing up some "unnecessary" items to take to the homestead.  We'll move stuff gradually so we won't have to do it all at once when he finishes the bathroom.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think the only 'trap' to the $600. is they will have to pay taxes on it next year. Not a big trap if everyone knows about it though. 

DH checked the box that said:  Do you want taxes taken out of the $600?  So that took care of that.  Don't want any big surprises next year.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We re-potted 5 tomato plants for the greenhouse today.  DH got beefsteak and I looked at him like he had two heads.  Here?  Think our growing season will do BEEFSTEAK?  Well, who knows with the greenhouse.  But we've got a contest now and I'm growing cherry tomatoes.  :lol:  I think we'll need to re-pot them again later.  Maybe the potatoes will be done with their pots by then.  Crazy things have flowers on them already.  They were Closet Potatoes - hiding in the dark closet so they don't sprout and they did anyway.  Well, its the year for experiments!!!  Just growing ANYTHING feels good!  :lois:  

Moved things around so tomatoes get most light.  Collards and peas can be in the less light areas.  DH is soaking beet seeds for planting in a large horse bucket.  Re-purposing anything.  ESPECIALLY since we're trying out that WICK tub method and don't have to poke holes in the bottom.  :thumbs: 

MtRider....  :bounce:   Garden this year.....no hail, no deer lips,  ....ground squirrels/bunnies  ....hmmmm?

• Like 1

I had a couple ODD ...worrisome health events today.  Well, the only worry on the second one was....that it took me so long to figure it out.  I got the shakes and it took me 10 minutes to say Hypoglycemia:  Go eat something, for petes sake!   I've had that since my 20's and it's certainly rare now.  Cuz I automatically know to eat before it is ever an issue.  Sheeeesh.  Must be distracted with this greenhouse project....  ya think?  :rolleyes: 

But earlier I had my usual morning clogged sinus/breathing problem.  [thank you Grpa...got his sinus and headache thing]  But I could not get clear this morning.  Chew peppermint gum and STILL wasn't able to get adequate air.  Not 911 serious but slightly gasping.  Had to take a phone message for DH's work.  Actually had to say: Sorry, can't get my air this morning.  Cuz I could hardly talk to the guy.  WHAT is going on????????

:unsure:   .......do I need the inhaler?   WHY?  WHAT would have triggered that?  I do not have a diagnosis of asthma......   So I was dithering....waiting for DH and dog to come back up from mailbox and dog walk.  Finally came up and DH says OF COURSE use the inhaler! 

WellYeahIFiguredThat!  :buttercup:  I wanted to understand it better.  I wasn't turning blue or anything but .....I needed him to see/hear how it was......BEFORE I cleared it up with the inhaler.  One puff did clear it up.  But WHAT is going on now?   

........DH helpfully says I'm getting old and body systems break down more.  <_<  Well, it's been ok since then.  :scratchhead:  And I'm actually a few hours older now!  Hmph!

MtRider    :sigh:   ....might just have to talk with my doc again.  I NEVER see a doc as much as this year!  :buttercup:  

• Sad 2
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

But earlier I had my usual morning clogged sinus/breathing problem.  [thank you Grpa...got his sinus and headache thing]  But I could not get clear this morning.  Chew peppermint gum and STILL wasn't able to get adequate air.  Not 911 serious but slightly gasping.  Had to take a phone message for DH's work.  Actually had to say: Sorry, can't get my air this morning.  Cuz I could hardly talk to the guy.  WHAT is going on????????

We're having more pine tree pollen this year. It's killing my sinuses and giving me a dry cough, but our honeybees are in pollinator heaven. Drinking water doesn't help much with the cough. We're a bit paranoid with bringing home the virus now that the ancient one is living with us. :0327: I wasn't sure what was happening until I noticed that my little red car had turned yellow under the trees.  :imoksmiley:

• Like 1

Had a doc appt. this morning for thyroid refills and blood work.

Then stopped at local grocery (everything was in stock), thrift shops and day old bread store.

Home now and haven't found the ambition to do exercise video, but I will.

Need to dust today and that may be it. Not much sleep again.

• Like 1