MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thanks for the Anniversary wishes!  Hope the next 30 go as smoothly!  LOL

Walked this morning (may have been a mistake with hurt hip).

(expired last month) compared to the same size at Walmart of their brand--9.94.  Also found 16 ounce containers of Sulfadene for dog hot spots for 99 cents each.  I paid about $5 each on eBay.  Dogs scored!

Came home and made sugar free butternut squash pie, 3 bean salad for dh, and then cooked squash medley which is now in the PC. That's it for today.

• Like 3

Hubby finished up step mum's job and came home...just in time to run into a terrific storm.  Only lasted a few minutes though.  Here...Abby-girl went directly to her "hide" place.  She's doing really very well since we realized that placing a thin mattress over some of her human daddy's shoes gives her the "safe" place that she seeks.  Wonderful for all three of us!

I had towels hanging on my lines when it started storming here, so had to make a dash to get them in my basket and back in the house.  They're just damp so I'll take them to the homestead in the morning and dry them in the dryer.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow so hanging them out will be a waste of time.

Really got a blessing for the poison ivy on hubby's arms etc.  Dr. Axe has an anti-itch potion for all types of skin problems, especially poison ivy, and it certainly works!  I mixed some up this morning, put the paste on the spots and by the time he got home there was a MAJOR difference!  I think he'll be over this stupid stuff very soon.  He's been using all kinds of creams, sprays and even prescription stuff...and it helps...a little.  But this is almost a miracle! 

I used 1 tsp. Baking Soda, 2 tps. Bentonite Clay, 1 Tblsp. Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tbsp.Witch Hazel,  10 drops Lavender Essential oil, 5 drops of Peppermint Essential oil, 2 drops of T-Tree Oil and I added some Aloe gel.  Just be aware that when the Apple Cider Vinegar hits the Baking Soda it will fizz! LOL  I did have to add a bit more Witch Hazel to thin the paste down a bit.  If yours is too thin just add more Bentonite Clay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, WE2.  I filed that away in my Medical file.  I've never had poison ivy but something on Maui is like it.  Never know when you'll need to reference it.

Now we're in danger of frost tonite.  40* now at 10:30pm....covered taters up on porch.  Greenhouse should be ok....but it's not tight.  :sigh: 

MtRider  :frozen:  :knary:  :frozen:  :knary:    Thankful for the rain tho!

• Like 2

Good morning everyone.  

Cut Mom’s hair & filled in her nails, yesterday.  She lost two, that needed to be re-made, glad I picked up more supplies.

Went to Albertsons and picked up some meat.  TX doesn’t have grocery taxes, so, it is helps.  

Taking it easy now.

Happy Anniversary Miki.  Congratulations!  

Grateful you are getting rain, Mt_Rider.  Too many fires going on in AZ.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Anniversary Miki. 

DH had his surgery on Thursday. It took 2 clamps to close off the mitral valve. There is still a very tiny leak but they are going to keep an eye on it. We got home from hospital on Friday morning. Both of us were worn out.  If he was stronger they would have replaced the mitral valve. But he just isn't strong enough for that. So I am thinking this is just a bandaid sort of speak. But still hoping and praying this will work for the long haul.  He is still very weak. And needs a lot of care. So I am thinking about leaving the forum for a while depending on how things go both with him and everything else going on in this world. So much to do and way behind on everything. I feel like I will never catch up. 

I do have a free weekend as far as having nurses and physical therapy coming in all week. that alone will wear you out and you really can't do things that need to be done. 

While DH was sleeping, I went out to garage and cleaned up.  Had  a lot of stuff just piled up everywhere.  TP, paper towels, cleaning items. Mostly things I would pick up when I could find them as our stores are still empty here. Don't know about Kroger, Walmart, BJ's or Sam's club as I have not been able to get to those stores. Though I don't miss Walmart. Rather go to BJ's wholesale than Sam's as well. I am thinking about a trip to BJ"s as DH said he would go with me and stay in car. Might do that just to get him out of house for a bit. But my trip would be a hurry up and get out. I really don't like the idea of him staying in the car while I shop at this time. Don't think he will be ready for that trip anyway for a couple of weeks or longer. Will see how that one goes. 

I did get more done in garage than I thought. Got all the TP, and other paper products moved to attic and got it inventoried. So now I know what I have in paper products. All the cleaning items such as toilet bowel cleaners, dishwashing liquid, and all my laundry stuff are now inventoried and on the shelves in the proper order. I have enough stuff to make my own laundry detergent for a year. So won't be buying any cleaning products nor paper goods for at least 8 months. 

Need to inventory the food again as we have gone through a lot of food and I am not doing a garden this summer. But looking at a winter garden if things go well with DH. I can't leave him for to long and that keeps me from getting some things done. Don't want to get out of hearing range from him. Guess I will need to break out the walkie talkies. At least I will know how well they work. 

DH is already planning what he wants me to can as soon as I can get clear of all the nurses.  Going to go pick up the hamburger tomorrow. Or let them bring it to me. I do have plenty of canned veggies and really need to concentrate on canning as much meats as I can. So will start with hamburger and then move to chicken.  I still have a lot of canned beef so will work on that last.  Will be looking to buy some salmon and tuna to can as well.  Being diabetics we do need the protein. DH wants me to buy the frozen italitan meatballs. I always buy a 5 lb. bag from BJ's for spaghetti, but this time I'm going to make my big pot of spaghetti sauce and add those to it. I don't really want to add anything else to freezer right now as I am trying to get it emptied. After I go through it and can the rest of what is in there, I am going to stock up on meat to freeze. Then I can just can that as time permits. Need to make more soups as well.  Want to get some cabbage planted for some cabbage soup to can. Everyone loved the last batch I made. 

So if no one sees me for a while, it is because I am just so busy right now with DH and trying to get canning done between all the nurses coming in on a daily bases.  Only have the weekends free from nurses but still need to care for DH and do the canning as well as the house cleaning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So glad your hubby's surgery went well. I'm sure you are both relieved that it's behind you. Praying for his recovery!  :pray:

We understand about being busy. Please don't leave the forum for long. We care about you too and want to know how you both are doing. Also, I love reading about all you do prep wise. But I do understand about being so busy, and worried, that sometimes it's all one can do be sure to breathe.  :hug3:

• Like 4

Did some of the paperwork to get a solar system for the well.  That's one of our most basic preps.  If we can get uninterrupted water to go with the propane stove, and the propane generator, the two car-battery-sized power sources and the new little one, and the small solar panel for recharging the phones and all, life in the next extended blackout will be much simpler.

• Like 3

:faint3:  Has not been a good day.  Barely out of bed today.  Reading a lot.  Just to walk around a bit and then :faint3:  

Which means I didn't get into town to see my dad today.  By 2:30pm I knew I wasn't going to clear up the MS Fatigue problem this day.  So called them instead.  Wished him Happy Father's day.  Was just there on Thurs but ....would have been nice.  With DH working again, next possible deck-visit would be ....Thursday again?  :shrug:  DD's are calling DH today.  

And....it's raining lightly right now.  :happy0203: 

MtRider   ....such a very good thing we don't have livestock now....could use a horse ride tho... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

To keep the well pump running and the 120-gallon well bladder filled.  Not just during a blackout.  I want to take the pump off the grid entirely, if I can.  In Florida, you can't legally take the whole house off the grid, but you can take one system and then another off the grid.  Seems like this one crucial system would be the logical place to start.  Remember windmills?  Those are not a big thing in Florida because we go from not-enough to way-too-much in nothing flat.  But sunlight--we get plenty of that All The Time.

I want to look into solar water heating too.  Low tech water heating is very cheap but labor intensive.  I want to see what the buy-it version costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We spent most of the day cleaning out Miss B.  We're taking a few days to go visit a friend and camp beside her house.  Tried to turn on the Fantastic Fan and for some reason it wouldn't run...so hubby spent the rest of the afternoon trying to run down the problem.

I watered the tubes a little even though I knew it was "supposed" to rain...and it did!  Also found the Japanese Beetles are back so sprayed with Neem oil ... even though it was supposed to rain.  I'll probably dust with Sevin tomorrow.  Hate those dumb things!  We're the only ones that have berry bushes that I know of in our whole area. Even found some on my potato beds and the Raspberry plants are just south of the potato beds, along the fence! First noticed them on my blooming Elderberry bush...:fryingpan: If it weren't for them we'd be pretty much organic...even though I buy the organic Neem oil concentrate I still hate to have to do anything other than plant mint and lay comfrey leaves in the beds etc.

Waiting for some laundry to finish so I can hang them out in the morning...it's NOT supposed to rain.  

Made our Mennonite haul a couple of days ago to replenish some of the foods we've eaten...plus just put back a bit more. Sausage crumbles, sausage patties, a ham, some breaded beef fritters, four bags of instant potatoes, 4 jars of Tartar sauce, a case of strawberry/kiwi 100% juice, two large tubs of strawberry yogurt (won't be making my own for a bit), more granola, two tubs of Echinacea herbs (I want to make my own tincture) as well as a small bottle of the Echinacea in liquid form.  Some other odds and ends as well.

Went to Aldis and again...left so frustrated!  Went ahead and picked up paper towels and tp, some freezer bags, some paper plates and bowls and some okastuc forks.  They're still limiting canned goods etc...trying to stop "hoarding".  We won't go back unless we just absolutely have to!  I'll pay the extra few cents and go to Sav-a-lot (which we did...and bought cases of the things Aldis would only let us buy 4 of!) or even the dreaded WM.  The poor elderly man in front of us was "flagged" by the cashier and she said "I can't sell you that many sir"...and set everything of the limit to the side of her register!  This was a very elderly man and obviously alone since most men don't go shopping by themselves unless they're single.  I'm done with that store and their junk.  There is a difference between hoarding and prepping. Hoarding is things you'll never use or don't need.  Food doesn't qualify!  Rant over.

100_1545 Sausage Patties.jpg

100_1546 Vacuum sealed sausage patties.jpg

100_1548 Sausage Crumbles.jpg

100_1549 Sausage Crumbles Cup to a bag.jpg

100_1550 Sausage Crumble Bags vacuum sealed.jpg

100_1551 Beef Fritters.jpg

100_1552 Spicy Cheese.jpg

100_1553 Ham.jpg

IMG_0143 Thyme.jpg

IMG_0144 Mint transplant.jpg

IMG_0145 Potato Patch One.jpg

IMG_0145 Raspberry bushes just starting.jpg

IMG_0146 Potato Patch Two.jpg

IMG_0147 Patio Table one ground cover.jpg

IMG_0150 Wooly Lambs Ear.jpg

IMG_0151 Catnip.jpg

IMG_0152 Comfrey.jpg

IMG_0154  Squash-Tomato Plants.jpg

IMG_0155 Tomato Plants.jpg

IMG_0157 Bell Pepper Plants.jpg

IMG_0158 Beet plants.jpg

IMG_0159 Lambs Quarter patch.jpg

IMG_0160 Black Berry Canes.jpg

IMG_0161 Elderberry Bush first plant.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
Adding photos of grocery haul and garden tubs etc.
  • Like 5

I've been taking it a little easier (doing video instead of walking). Hip seems to be about healed up, think it was sciatic nerve.

Took DH to dentist today. Got antibiotics and will have one tooth out next week.

Dropped off the first 2 gallon bags of tomatoes in BIL's freezer this morning. Still hope to find a chest freezer. His will hold about 4 gallons (already in use) and mine 2 or 3 so after I have that many, it will be time to can rotel tomatoes.

Came home after dentist and fertilized before the rain started.

Then hard boiled a few eggs, saute'd the sugar snap peas that I'd picked, peeled and cut up mangoes for desserts, and made rice to add to dog food.
Visited with neighbor for a while, then watched an Outlander with DH.

Now am listening to Southern Gospel on Pandora and chatting with you all! Good day!

• Like 4

Sciatic nerve is a doozy, Miki.  :pray:  that it heals up and you're back to walking your usual!!

I haven't been walking much.  Today was DEFINITELY improved functioning over yesterday.  My "normal" today.  But still didn't walk.  A.....cuz I didn't want to run myself down again so soon.  B.....cuz it was STORMING all late afternoon/early eve.  Got 4/10ths of an inch.  :cheer:   ANYthing will help avoid wildfire! 

Speaking of which, how is that one near you, Annarchy?  :pray: 

Always enjoy your garden pics, WE2!  I remember lush, mid-west.  CO is not "lush" ....but then, I don't have to mow the lawn either.  No lawn...only rocks/gravel.  Refreshing to see that much GREEN.  Our pasture near creek IS lush and green, I will admit.  And this year, no horses to keep it "mowed".   Maybe I'd better borrow some? 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

They ought to have an exception to the limits for elderly people who might only be able to get a ride to the store once a month or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

They ought to have an exception to the limits for elderly people who might only be able to get a ride to the store once a month or so.

Or people who can prove they have 7 kids, including a few teenagers, at home.  A friend of mine is in that category, and she was having tons of fun trying to keep everybody fed when a bag of flour really only covers baking for a day or 3.

• Like 4

The Bush fire is bad. It has burned over 186,000 acres and still isn’t under control. They are saying it is the 5th largest fire in AZ history.  AZ’s lake system is closed.  Roosevelt, Apache, & Canyon Lakes are all being effected.

E9878EEC-2FA7-4806-90E2-B7C91B5B2578.jpeg

The Big Horn fire in the Catalina mountains next to Tucson is over 65,500 acres.  TX news was warning people about the smoke. 

DH wants me to update our BOB, JIC.  

Jarred up more storage items, then, cleaned house.  Washed pillows & finished MIL’s new bed.  
4D65B550-A5E7-445D-BDE3-EEE3F20FE24E.jpeg

We have company coming over this afternoon, DH agreed to be an estate executor, for his very good friend. 

Hope everyone is staying safe & healthy.

• Like 4