MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

A good strong cup of tea.  DS1 takes caffeine tablets for his headaches, since he doesn't like either coffee or tea, and is trying to cut back on his sodas.

3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Thanks, Ambergris.......but.....what caffeine is there that is not {BLECH!} ... coffee?   I did, of course, have chocolate that day.  That's caffeine too, isn't it?  :scratchhead:   .....hope your toes are going to be alright. 

Wal mart makes energy water flavor packets.  Each one has caffeine equal to 1 cup of coffee...I usually make up a quart water bottle with 2 packets and nosh on it all day.  Current favorite iis sugar free lemonade.  Just get the ones marked Enenrgy...they also make some that are just flavoring.  I get tired of coffee so I use these a lot and there is a lot of flavor variations...grape, leonade, watermelon-lime, and (of course) peach mango.  Does not have the bitterness of coffee that upsets my stomach either.  If you can handle the artificial sweetener in them you might try them for caffeination purposes.  Their variety pack has several flavors you can try to see how you like them.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The three main ingredients in Excedrin Migraine are:

Acetaminophen  200 mg

Aspirin  250 mg

Caffeine  65 mg

Migraine triggers are personal. Chocolate doesn't bother me. They say aged cheese and red wine are common triggers too. I don't know. For me the weather is my biggest trigger. Any major change in pressure or precipitation sets mine off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kappy......Oh yeah....never even thot of the 'energy drinks'.  I think we have some packets....put away for desperate use during an EVAC or other huge crisis.  [can you tell I don't usually do caffeine?]

I'm still feeling extremely 'spacey' today.  Yucko!  But by 8:30pm.....don't think I'll want to try it tonite.  :bounce:   

Jeepers ....HEAVY WEATHER SYSTEMS have been marching across our state for days now.  :o   Can that maybe be a problem?  I have definitely been affected by weather pressure in the past [forgot about that]  but this is crazy!  Yet....  {...hmmm, Aloha State, here I come!  }   I feel like my ears need to pop.  I hear the ocean in them.  Noisy!  ...... weather......that's a distinctly possible culprit cuz it's been more intense the past few days.  Big angry RED lines of blobs on Doppler.  In CO eastern plains, they've had hail and whatnot. 

MtRider  ...THANKS, y'all.  Puts some ideas in me poor blurry head! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Would. You. Believe.......DH received YESTERDAY, a free bottle of gel caps with caffeine cuz he ordered other products.  :amen:  

Took one but we'll see what it does at 8:30pm.   Equivalent of 2 cups of coffee.  Gel tab so can't really cut in half.  Decided I'm desperate enough to get this HISSSSSING out of my ears and fuzzzy brain to chance :bounce: 

MtRider  :pray:  

• Like 1

Our favorite caffeine for emergencies is called "water joe" - when we can find it, that is.  It is caffeinated water.  Tastes like water.  Kinda wierd tho, drinking water (hydration) containing caffeine (dehydrating), LOL. But a good option for when you need a little lift without additional sugar, chemicals etc.  Like I said though, you have to find it first.....that was one of the things we were going to bring back from Wisconsin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wellll.....it was, as predicted, a LONG night.  I knew that 200mg = cups of coffee (?)  would be very strong for me.  But whoooooeeee!  It sure got rid of that BasketBall-On-Head feeling quickly.  We're pretty sure the weather is the culprit here.  Odd....WEATHER used to give me terrible pressure headaches back in IA and MN.  Been so long, I forgot about that cause/effect.  Storms have been intense in CO for 3 days.  Aha!

On the heels of that wonderful relief after 3 days of pressure ......came The Shakes!  Note that with MS and hypoglycemia, I'm pretty familiar with SHAKES anyway.  But these were ....? .....deep-down shakes.  Not sure how to describe how it was a little different.   :shrug:

I was talking to my mom when those hit.  I'm pretty sure I was talking faster and more jittery than is my normal.  I was trying to consciously slow to normal.  She knew what was going on - full reveal of what we were trying.  Definitely put No-Dose type product, Excedrin Migraine, and black tea on DH's grocery list.  Maybe WaterJo?  LOL  Odd name but great for us NOT-Jo drinkers.  :thumbs: 

NEXT time, I want to have the ability to take only as much caffeine as I feel I need.  I want a variety of options in those other products.  Gel pills don't give me options and that was too much.  But even expecting the LOONG night, I'd do it again if that's all I had. 

I did EAT a good size piece of salmon and some rice.   Absorb some of that.  Also took 1/2 pill of my sleep aid.  That also dampened down some of the  :sassing:   WIRED affect.  Much more comfortable for me.  Wired is NOT my preference....NOT within my tolerance level.  But boy....was is NICE to breathe deep and not have my head in a bubble.  THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT!!!!!!!!  :sSig_thankyou:

It was worth even the jittery, anxiety that came during that long night.   I expected that as well.  :shrug:  If I can regulate LESS caffeine, I think that part will be minor if not eliminated.  I did slide into sleep at 5am after reading Kindle for hours.  Unfortunately woke...startled.  :blink:    Maybe I was snoring?  :lol:   Took a second 1/2 sleep aid.  Went back to reading.  Tried again at 6AM.....SUCCESS!  Slept til 11AM. 

Today I'm a bit jittery and need more sleep/rest.  But I feel SO much better than the past 2-3 days.  :amen: 

MtRider  .....thanks for all the suggestions.  :grouphug:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 5

Glad you feel better (and are wide awake), Mt. Rider!  DH has to take meds to slow down as soon as he gets up.  Drinks only one cup of decaf and still is wired!

I shredded zucchini with my old processor today (waiting for the third food processor I ordered to arrive--have now returned 2 of them).  If I could use the slicing/shredding blade reliably, I would keep the old one, but no.  Made 3 loaves of zucchini bread and PC'd 3 pints of shredded zucchini.  

Sprayed tomato plants with epsom salts and water and staked one up that had no stake at all.  May have escaped during storm and wind a couple of days ago.

Other than that just visited with neighbors and watched netflix with DH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I swear by the generic excedrin migraine pills for my headaches.  If they are really bad, I will drink some mountain dew or some of the blue color game fuel with them.  I never drink the entire can, but just sip it a bit until the headache goes away.   It usually clears within an hour of taking the pills.  Husband loves the game fuel so he usually finishes whatever I don't drink.  

Wednesday marks the start of my third trimester and we are in full-on prep mode.  Last weekend and this weekend we braved the garage sales between here and Virginia Beach and a few thrift stores.  I managed to get almost all the large items and a lot of baby clothes for very inexpensively.   I'm currently 75% under budget for the nursery/baby project.    We've put playpens & dipper changing areas both upstairs and down so that I have to carry the baby up and down stairs less.  We have a bassinet for the bedroom as well as  a crib for the nursery and car seat with two bases that clips into the matching stroller.  I'm repurposing some bits from elsewhere in the house.  Some of the furniture needed painting and repairs, so DH already fixed what needed fixing and is currently painting things out in the garage.  I'm going to stencil/paint a bit on them when he is done with the base coats.  I'm almost done washing/cleaning/sanitizing everything and I'm very happy with the wear and quality of what we got.  

I did something to my back--not sure what because I haven't lifted anything heavier than a cat in months.  Mostly I've been moving slow and getting DH to do basically everything for the last week. DH thinks I may have twisted or slept on it wrong.   It felt like a pinched nerve radiating up and left from my bra strap line on the upper part of  my back.  I am feeling much better now, but I still do not know what I did. 

I've only gained 8 pounds for the entire pregnancy, but its all in the belly and I'm about 4 sizes bigger than usual.  None of my pants fit and only 1 pair of shorts.  I cannot even get into my yoga pants, so I broke down and bought a pair of maternity pants from the thrift store to cut off into shorts for the summer.  Most of my summer dresses are lose or have empire type waists so I will probably be able to just wear them for the duration.    I

The older kids are gone for the rest of the summer, so cooking patters are different.  It is hard to cook for just 2 people.  I'm still making a big crockpot of something about once a week, but I'm freezing about 2-3 quarts of each batch so it can be pulled out for easy meals after the baby comes in sept.  Last week it was red beans and rice.  I'm a bit at a loss for what to make this week, but I'm thinking some sort of chicken and rice casserole for tonight since I have a bit of leftover rice I need to use.

The garden is doing ok, especially the basil and the yellow pear tomatoes.  They are a variety of grape tomato and I will DEFINATLY be planting them again.  They are delicious and abundant.  I've been making caprece salad with them, the basil, a bit of onion, a few cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, & balsamic vinegar.   We do have some sort of bug eating away at a few things and DH is researching it.  Meanwhile, we are using 7 dust liberally and washing everything.  I grew up with my grandfather having an acre of garden and using that so I'm comfortable with it.  

• Like 6

I cook a large pan or crock pot once or twice a week and we eat and freeze leftovers, @Euphrasyne.  Much easier and time saving!

Apparently, I hit the key for the quote box?  Sorry.

Made 3 loaves of zucchini bread yesterday. Gave one to neighbors, froze one and we are working on the third!

Did my walk this morning and no pain in hip so far. Yay! Already started laundry.
Taking DH for Dentist appt. this afternoon and I will hit the salvage grocery while he is tended to.

We are having a hotter summer this year!

• Like 6

:sigh:    My head began the tight, basketball feeling again today at 2pm.  We weren't even having any "weather" in CO at that point.  I dug around in my BOBs, GetHomeBags, Ebags, etc.....  :buttercup:   and finally found some of the powdered mix for "energy drink".   Each packet is 60 mg of caffeine.  Mixed it in with some juice  -- only about a third of it.  Result at approx 20mg:  Head-swelling feeling is gone.  Spacey feeling remains.  Eyes still have trouble focusing.  Nose/sinus cleared quickly.  Hmmm....

DH will go to the store on Thurs to get me other options.  The Jet Stream is slowly returning and HOPEFULLY will return weather in our region back to normal.  ....assuming that is what's causing this relapse into Weather Headaches and Congestion.  :shrug: 

Meanwhile, I'm being severely NOT productive....which always leaves me in a less than cheery mood.  <_<   

Euphrasyne...thanks for tip on GENERIC excedrine migraine. 

MtRider  :twister3:     <-------- my head.  Hmph!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Did a short walk and then a short video this morning.

There is actually nothing on my list today besides month ending books which are now done.
It may be mango day. Mango jalapeno jam and canned mangoes, maybe.

Sprayed squash leaves yesterday for powdery mildew and then it rained, of course, even though there was almost no chance of it 2 hours before. Leaves look better today!

• Like 4
On 6/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, snapshotmiki said:

Apparently, I hit the key for the quote box?  Sorry.

If you do it again and you don't want it there, just hover over the top left corner of the box, click on the cross-hairs, and hit delete. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Midnightmom!

Peeled and cut about 15 mangoes yesterday and today. Will do the same tomorrow and they will be frozen until I get to them.

Went to Walmart for stock up at 7 this morning. They had most everything except Lysol spray. Haven't seen that in months!

Came home, fed dogs, walked to drugstore with prescription and stopped by Church on the way home for a publication I get.

Hopefully not much else today.

• Like 2

FINALLY felt pretty good later today.  No thanks to last nite.  Dog barfed X3.....making it a loooooong story.....including the back door sticking when it NEEDED to open quickly.....ETC.  <_<   She's on rice/egg today.  Every now and then, this happens.  Thankfully, not often. 

If anyone wants a tip on a GOOD but expensive brand of duct tape, I've been taping up the splits in the greenhouse plastic [ plastic rolled up/folded for a looong time].   T-Rex duct tape has been holding up very well and it doesn't stay so stiff like Gorilla Tape, that you can't bend and wind it around something.   We only use this brand if it NEEEEDS to hold!  With our WIND :twister3:   battering the poor greenhouse like it does, we need it to be strong.  My cherry tomatoes are doing well  - going to need bigger pot soon.  

MtRider  :lois:

• Like 3

I hit that box sometimes too when I'm aiming for the smilies. I can't delete on the Kindles. No delete button. 

Thanks for the tip on the duct tape. Also glad to hear you are feeling better!

I've been going back and forth with myself for the past two weeks. You-know-who is having a birthday party this Saturday. The big four. LOL. I got an invite in the mail and then he asked me if I was coming to his party. Sigh. I haven't seen him since Chtistmas. I miss the little dude. I'm scared to go but I know I'll regret it if I don't. The D-ex cancelled because he'd have to fly in to Chicago. I don't blame him. Ugh, guess I'll suck it up buttercup. I told son I was holding him personally responsible for my health. Pffft. He don't care. He will care if he has to spoon feed me and empty my pee pot. I'll milk it too. G-son calls it, "The Sickness." Drama.  :0327:

I've been upset lately because an 18 year old Amish girl has disappeared in Bird-in Hand PA. Last seen after church on Fathers Day. They don't have clue one what happened to her. The place she was at is very highly advertised as a tourist trap. I've traveled those roads more times than I can count. It was on a Sunday and Covid is making round two pretty bad over there so, there probably weren't too many people out. I can't get her and her family out of my mind. I can't imagine... :pray:

• Like 4

Got my new food processor yesterday (apparently 3rd one is the charm) and it actually works , is huge 14 cup, and a beast! I ended up going ahead and making dog food yesterday evening so it could cook in the roaster and slow cooker overnight.

First 14 quarts are cooling in my two canners and I have another 6 or 7 quarts to go. Glad I will be done before evening!

Getting ready to do long video, since I started with the canning early (at walking time).
DH got me some new grill heat plates so I will probably set those up.

Going to make Okra Cornbread in a while to go with some Split Pea Soup that I canned previously. Trying to use what I have!

https://www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com/okra-cornbread/

• Like 4

Glad your feeling better Mt Rider.

With my work schedule I’m not getting much done here. In dead tired when I get in so I’m planning for the weekend. I went to Walmart and bought some food storage containers. Was also looking for other items that got lost when we moved like loaf pans and my tea pot broke the other day. Y’all there are so many holes on the shelves. I couldn’t find 1/2 of what I went in there for and these are basic things. I haven’t shopped much bc there was no need....now I need and can’t find so I’m making a list and ordering everything online. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

DH went to the store today.  First time in 3 wks I think.  My folks went to the store themselves so he wasn't shopping for them today.  Got me some generic excedrine migraine.  Also got an assortment box of black tea ....for the caffeine.  I had a cup of English Breakfast.  I do think my sinus congestion was better. 

The road DUST is horrid.  Did they close down all other roads?  Cuz the valley was so occluded with DUST today....vehicle after vehicle.  For petes sake!  Where are they all coming from/going to????  :tapfoot:   I sat on porch a short time ---- WITH AN N95 mask!  We're 3/4ths the way up the ridge and dust was thick up to here.  County ran a stir-up-everything machine on the roads a few days ago and....then the rains stopped.  All the "fines" from the road are loose and flying thru the air and coming back down.  :gaah:    NOW I'm getting claustrophobic!  I'm always wandering outside for this or that.  :hidingsmile:

Dug a new N95 out of the box.  I'd worn the other for about a year....when I walk if it's dusty.  Washed it out a couple times [since I haven't used it for virus....only particles]  But washing it made it fuzzy on the inside ....might make the fibers mat down like felt too.  Harder to breathe???  Need to cut the top elastic band and add a bit of length!!!  Have XL hat size [big head!] and it's terribly tight to wear them around the head.  [not ear loops]   Couldn't deal with that part today yet. 

Had a lot of harsh stuff on my nervous system today.  Pretty jittery but not the caffeine.... :unsure:  ....ya think?  :shrug:  

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Like 2

Against my better judgement I'm going to Indiana tomorrow/today for G-sons birthday. Ugh. I'll probably be gone 3-4 days spending a lot is time at my houae. At least that's the plan. My plans never pan out over there though. I hope the fireworks are still cancelled. Sigh.

• Like 3