MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Did video this morning and made chili for DH. Made his Birthday cake and frosting. Found a pretty little pink depression glass sherry glass (I think) for $1 at thrift shop yesterday. That's where we shop for Birthdays and Christmas. It will go in cabinet with other pieces.

Moved some canned goods back and forth between pantry A and B.
Grilled the steak I got yesterday and it is pretty good!

This is me 2 years out from beginning weight loss.  Sorry  Couldn't get to photo from here!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

Ambergris ------> :hug3:

Hope the new changes will work to your advantage.  :pray:

I've been slow since I got back from Indiana. It always happens. The drive both ways is killer for me. I sleep a lot for a week following the trip. Then I get my days and nights mixed up so if I have errands to run I'm out of luck because everything closes so much earlier than I'm used to. I'm not really complaining though. I'm glad I have the luxury of sleeping when I need to. Although I do need to get on a daylight schedule soon. Got stuff to do.

I need to call the local IRS office to find out about my stimulus check. Local as in Cleveland and I sure don't want to go driving around down there. I did call but they were closed and directed me to a website before talking to them. I see dead end in my future with them. But I'll try.

I called about getting my Jeep window fixed. They seem to think I need a new motor. Sigh. And they don't have any appointments open until Thursday. Oh, and they close everyday at 6:00pm and are closed every weekend. How in the world are working people supposed to get car repairs done. These aren't Covid hours. Its always that way with them.  Rad-Air.  I told them I'd call back for an appointment Monday. In the mean time I'll call around to other places. I know of another place that has a really nice open waiting room. I'll try them Monday. But they are 10 miles away. I just hope I don't need to go anywhere and get caught out in the rain. It's supposed to rain all weekend but thankfully I have a garage.

Bills are all paid for the month, taxes are done, I filled up the gas tank and I went to the grocery store this week. I was able to find everything I wanted except for the frozen, cracked pepper, seasoned, brussel sprouts. It's been awhile since I've been able to find those. I can find regular ones and ones soaked in butter but they won't do. I put vinegar on mine. I don't know why I crave those things. Of all things to crave. :blink:  Those and the sour watermelon or sour blueberry Jell-O cups. Which, BTW, aren't really sour.  

Anyway, I got plenty of fresh fruit and veggies at the store to last over the weekend so I don't need to go out for anything except maybe to the recycle bin to drop off some paper and cardboard if I take a notion to. Other than that, I'll wait to see when I can get the Jeep window fixed.

But the big news of the week is.....

I got that hair cut off! 

18 inches of unbleached, undyed, unpermed, unstraightened, just a few gray strands, just shampooed and conditioned hair for Locks of Love. And I still have shoulder length hair left. I feel so much better. Both in body and soul.

Sheesh. My hair isn't really that dark nor blurry. It's really a very light brown. Someone needs a new scanner. 

Hair.jpg

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 5

We haven't had a leave the house date in months, so we decided to go to Colonial Williamsburg for a date day and walk around looking at the museums and such.  There weren't very many people in the colonial part except for all the college/tourists at the eateries in the market square.    Afterwards, we ran by the baby stores (CARTERS!) at the Williamsburg Outlets, had dinner out at Carribas, and came home.  

I forgot sunscreen and am sunburned between my face mask and my neckline.  :/

Williamsburg Us.jpg

• Like 5

Couldn't resist...pulled one small potato plant...and got three new potatoes...out of one chip!  They'll be tasty in green beans with onions and bacon.

Hubby's tooth retraction went wonderfully and he's almost back to eating regularly.  We've done soft foods for breakfasts (scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes w/gravy, pancakes, hard boiled eggs etc.) but today he "carefully" had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and supper was a pizza.  His 48 hours was up at noon but we're not going to push that.  Just taking things easy is better than a bad day of "following" generalized orders.

He got all the mowing done on the properties...for the time being.  With this HOT weather (90's) the grass has started slowing down...that is good :cele:

• Like 6

Ambergris.....praying that all will go well for this shift for your job!!!!!  Hope they can comprehend that some accommodations must be made [ADA].  :pray: 

Jeepers.....praying that your schedule and jeep window and STIMULUS Check issues will  be ironed out without undue stress to you!  :pray:    Yeah, I had a LOT of hair when I first cut mine after having it long forever.  Someone will appreciate the donation.

Miki.....  :cheer:    Wow, your diligence has REALLY paid off.  I applaud your daily choices to stick to this!

Euphrasyne.... What a nice day!  Glad it could happen!  We need some gladness in our lives.

WE2.... Praying that MrWE2 continues to have a good recovery from dental issue.  I think our bad heat wave is heading your way....stay cool! 

Today topped out at 92* .....and stayed there all afternoon, evening.  Praying that Annarchy is doing ok cuz if WE are this hot --- HOW HOT is Arizona?   :knary:   Stay cool down there, neighbor-of-the-SW!!!   'Course...the house would have been cooler if SOMEONE  :whistling:  had remembered to turn the A/C unit up to Max Cooling instead of leaving it on LOw Cooling til 6pm.  Gaaah!  I couldn't figure why my Bubble of Coolness was kinda small today.  

Probably need to leave the fan on tonite.  I can feel that I'm retaining toooooo much of the day's heat.  Drat!  I'm kinda radiating internal heat even if I've been "cool-enough" today.  That's the MS danger.  DH and I spent some time twice in the basement-garage today.  It's the RIGHT temperature down there.  Clearing, sorting, finding things....  It's getting to be a joke....this flour I've stashed thru the decades.  And ....  :rolleyes:  the distorted labels like:  "Plaster" ....or "White Tempra (Craft) Paint" .   That was in the early days when we had "house guests" that took from us.  I could store in the open with these Sly Misdirections.   :buttercup:  yeah, so sly I DON'T REMEMBER THEM!  We laughed after finding yet another box of flour....carefully packed in juice bottles ....from 1998.   Ooops!  Need a little rotation there!   DH liked the label:  "Booolyan" for another product.  :shrug:   Our 'guests' were not too clever.......but might have guessed that one cuz she couldn't spell either.  

It's such a relief to finally get some of that mess down there sorted!!!!!!  DH and I now have a rotation system that we both understand.  That helps!  It's still a bit of wilderness down there.....but that's Chaos Camo. 

MtRider  :happy0203:    Stay cool enough, everyone.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The new housemate, a high-energy person, got a crew to crawl under the house to remove the moisture barrier (which has been messed with, probably by a raccoon) and the insulation so they could actually look at the AC ducts.  As I have insisted, the ducts were "not right."  The intake that was supposed to be taking air from the house to re-cool was largely disconnected, while another duct was cracked and sending newly cooled air out into the world.  These have been patched.  As I intend to replace the house in four to five years, a full replacement is not cost-efficient, but a $400 application of duct tape should pay for itself by the end of the year.  And might have halfway paid for itself by now if the last crew had just done the work instead of assuring me (without looking) that it didn't need to be done.

• Like 5

Good Morning everyone,

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day.  We actually have clouds in the sky, so far. Basically, that means, we also have higher humidity for the day.  Monsoon season is almost here.

Yes, Mt_Rider, it’s hot.  Above 105°, in the shade, forecast says 112° by Monday.  The thermostat on the barbecue has been registering between 150-170°.  Typical AZ desert.  

The birds camp out in the yard & garden and hang around the water dishes.   3 Juvenile Mocking birds, 3 juvenile Threshers, 4 different types of dove, black birds, starlings, cardinals, King birds, sparrows, Grackles, house finches, a couple different wood peckers, and several other birds, I haven’t identified, yet.  Plus the road runners and lots of different types of hummingbirds. And, even the 5 different types of hawks & a couple owls, more in the evening, when the night hawks come out.  

I’ve been monitoring two packages I sent out, on the 2nd.  One was delivered, to MI, but someone stole it out of the mailbox.  :banghead:  It was just a bunch of spices they were unable to find, but still.  The other package is of great importance to me.  It’s that 36”x 24” pastel chalk painting, that took me 4 years to do, actually only 2 years, because the ferrets got on my desk & ruined the first one, so I had toe start all over.  Anyway, yesterday’s update said it had arrived in Denver CO, today it says it’s on the road... heading for Montana.  If it gets damaged, I will be collecting the insurance on it.  God willing it will arrive safely and intact.  I really don’t want to have to do it again.

Time to get back at it, before it gets over 100°. :happy0203:

12:30 and it hot in the sun. 
257C25C6-15A5-41CA-BEDD-654ACA99A072.jpeg

• Like 5

Lots of heat and humidity...but hubby persisted and got nearly all the weed eating done on all three properties.  It was "supposed" to rain this afternoon so I didn't add water to the tubs...so tomorrow I'll add the water regardless.  Guess I'll stop listening to these so called "weather forecasters"!  They say no rain, it pours.  They say rain, it's dry as a bone!  

Hubby's first day of eating just about everything he wants...except pretzels...he'll wait on those.  Supper was Italian seasoned panko in some burger meat, and it was delicious and very crispy on the outside.  I'm going to try some of it with the turkey burger we bought...really cheap!  Also put my "new potatoes" in a pot, boiled them soft, then added some of my yellow crook neck squash with a can of green beans.  Soooo good!  Also some pork and beans even though we had green beans.  Dessert was jello with mixed fruit.  I've put on a few extra pounds from being pampered by our host when we went to stay at her place, so I'm cutting my lunch meal in half until I'm back where I belong.  I've weighed the same for over 20 years and I don't intend to let it creep up on me now! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Hmph!  Have had one of THOSE days......  Could not get to sleep....too overheated in my body.  Both of us uncomfortable.  This reminds us of the midwest summer nights.  Slept from 5am - 11am.  <_<  

DH told me we did get past 100* yesterday.  So that's Thursday, Friday and now Saturday.  It only stays up there briefly.....between half hour to a couple hours.  Then it comes back down to the mid-90's.  Today's record was 2-4pm at 102*.  :0327:  Un be lievable at this altitude.   And it goes to 45* at nite! 

Today I made sure A/C was on highest......but part way thru this afternoon, it began to blow out not-very-cold air.   Half-cold air right when things heated up most.  What now?  Turned it off for a few minutes.  Turned it back on.  Odd odor was emitted.  Like cheese.  What now?  Messed with it until I just decided to turn it off till the sun wasn't hitting the unit.  I reached past my chair again to shut off the dial and ....  :blink:   Has anyone had an experience with upholstery nails?  Wicked sharp things.  Got me....2+" slice on inside of R arm.  Ow!  Thin strip and only just deep enough to bleed.  Stings tho.  Cleaned very thoroughly....considering how this day is going.  Turned on the unit after sun was not directly on it and it worked better.  :shrug:  

Thot I had the ceiling fan figured out.  You know they go clockwise or counter clockwise.  I changed the direction this morning and a lot more air was circulating.  Nice!  :happy0203:    ......however.......about 2pm at 102*.....ya dinna want the air from up near UNinsulated roof to be comin' down where you sit.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Shut it off completely for a while.  Hmph! 

DH decided to wash bedding....and not use the dryer.  {snort}   At these temperatures and low humidity....the blanket will near to dry in your arms as you come up the steps!  Nearly.  So there was a succession of bedding over the rails and on the line.  Also the dark load of clothes for his work shirts/pants/etc.  The shirts dried with white blotches....soap residue?  [washer too full]  So I washed it off  and hung hanger from the bedroom doorway.  Shirt dried but was blown onto the floor by gust of wind.  DOG HAIR!  Washed again in sink, then dried for 3rd time.... on clothes line.  STILL had white blotches when dry so threw the shirt to be washed again.  :gaah:    I am not winning many here! 

Watermelon!  Told DH to pick up a small one on Thurs.  So he brought it up from downstairs fridge.  First clue:  Knife didn't puncture the skin easily.  Second clue:  Blossom end was....mushy from the outside.  Aaaaaugh!  I was so looking forward to ice cold watermelon.  I ate some of the better parts.  But it's going bad fast.  NOT CRISP.   :sigh:  

The Colorado sky is famous for the particular color of BLUE.  It is gorgeous but I'd have given much today to see white puffy clouds....or even dark, ominous ones to cover that sun!  :(    Too hot for MS. 

MtRider   :knary:    Survived Day 3..... 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3

That's the next 5 days.  We're not supposed to have a high under 100 until Tuesday, July 21.

I'm going to have to actively work on not melting.  And water the garden.  I should water the garden...

• Sad 4

In other news, I started keto again and made it 3 days...because when talking about starting after we eat through some of the stuff in the house, hubby used the word WE.  As in, when WE start.  I can handle that.

• Like 4

Went to sleep after midnight. Woke up at 5:53.  Worked out, watered the garden, added some more mulch to some of the pots and to the trees, played video games for about an hour.  About to work on the program I have on planning out your life while drinking my coffee.  4 hours after I got up...and hubby's still asleep.  Ah well, I need my quiet time, and that's a good way to get it. 

Maybe I need to talk to hubby about me doing cyclical keto until we're ready to jump right in, or at least not eating all the crap I was eating.  But, somebody is going to have to eat the taco meat in the freezer that's mixed with lentils - I'm pretty certain I'm feeling better because I haven't been eating anything with much nightshades at all, hubby hates beans, and the kids...well, they might eat some of it.  I've been feeling a LOT better the last few days, to the point that I've actually exercised 2 days in a row.  That's a major accomplishment for me!  :coffeescreen:

• Like 5

Already did long video. Went to Church.

Came home and made garden salads for me, cucumber salad (out of garden) for both of us and carrot salad (carrots were gifted)
Going to wash some windows due to dog snot. LOL
Will clean kitchen and cut up chicken that was baked yesterday for dog treats.

• Like 4

Saw where there was a "prepper store" going out of business a few miles away from us, so up we got and off we went.  You people won't believe this, and I'm not posting pictures because everything's put away...but...we bought an 8 tray Excalibur dehydrator, a 20 pound package of cheese wax, a case of about 100 mylar bags (the size to put in a 5 gallon bucket), a case of 100cc oxygen absorbers (about 20 packages), a case of 500 ground cover staples, a "potato box" (wood and stackable), several bottles of fish meds (unopened), about 10 tubes of antibiotic ointment and several other odds and ends...for $72.00.  Yep...quite a haul!

Then came home and watered the garden tubs and then...cooled down for supper.

Tomorrow we plan to rise and shine and start walking.  All 3 of us need it.  Doing it early before it gets too hot.

• Like 6

I sent private message to Little Sister earlier today to see how she and her dh are doing.  He's still getting strength back a little at a time.  Still rehab at their house.  Has a bigger-wheel rolling walker that can be stable across their grass.  And a seat for resting.  Lil Sister is tired and busy but they're okay.  Asked if I could pass this along to you all and she said this:

Thank you all for the prayers for DH. He's not yet out of the woods yet and still has a follow up with surgeon and another ultrasound of heart to make sure the clamps are holding. I am sure the others would like to know. Thank you again.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Good nite's sleep and cloudy morning.  :amen:    The later afternoon was clear and hot but only up to 85*.   Can do that!  Walked Koa down the road after sunset and before dark.  Wore N95 cuz 2 cars and a 4 wheeler went by raising DUST.  MUCH better day but my functioning didn't clear up til early evening.  Used a quad cane to get around til 4pm.  Not surprising cuz of the strain of the last 3 HOT days.  Hope Monsoon begins soon!

MtRider  ...yeah, that WAS a very nice haul, WE2s!!  :amen: 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Holy cow We2. That is awesome! You really scored big.   :bow:

For sure...we ended up doing some "pillow talk" until nearly 2 am this morning we were so excited...and of making plans for today.

• Like 3

A very long day but productive.  Got up at 6am and brushed our teeth, washed up a bit and put on some walking clothes and shoes and off we went.  Walked for a bit over 45 minutes and were quite "dewy" when we got home.  Cooled down a bit, ate breakfast and then off to the homestead.  Upstairs I moved some shelving units out of storage into the former kitchen area and unpacked 4 boxes and put things away.  The extra shelving is awesome.  I have the pie safe that holds my herbs and spices (vacuum sealed in jars) and then the former microwave cabinet from the downstairs kitchen that now holds all my essential oils, bottles, creams and other things I use for mixing my blends.  Now I have smaller shelving units on each of these so I have a lot more room to put things away.  I still have one more big box that I unloaded from the travel trailer (things we didn't use) that I need to find a space for....toaster, extra pans etc., but the floor area is now available for me to set up a table (or two) to set my dehydrators on should I want to do some dehydrating up there.  So up the steps and down the steps, moving and carrying items...lots more exercise while hubby put corner moldings on the drywall edges.  Then out to the garden.  We pulled all the potatoes and ended up with about 40 pounds of 'taters. We figure we did good...since I only paid 3.99 for a bag of russets from Aldis and another half bag of reds that were a gift.  The reds were so much bigger!  Anyway...we put them in the garage on screens and I'll get to them in the next day or two so I can break out the pressure canner.  I don't have a stove hooked up at the homestead so it's here I'll need to work...yuck!  In this hot weather with only a window a/c it's not the most pleasant work...but necessary.

Then watered my 'mater plant tub and then home for a short nap...then supper.  I'll be grabbing my book to read shortly and off to bed I shall go.  I've become acclimated to sleeping until 7 or so...and getting up with Abby at 6 will take some getting used to...but we want to walk every morning we can.

• Like 4

Alarums and excursions in the night.  No time to find my glasses, so I just got an impression of some cross between a cat and a short-tailed gray dachshund.  It dropped my pullet, who seems to be just missing a few clumps of feathers.  This bold creature came within a foot of me.  I didn't realize it wasn't my cat until I looked straight down at it and saw no tail.  Is this what has been scaring my cats for the last couple of weeks, and what bit Max the barn cat?  

Oh, no.  I was going to check for tracks this morning, and I've already done the feeding without wearing my glasses or looking around.

The supposedly very secure 8x8 chicken pen was delivered yesterday...the huge box was leaned against the fence by the gate.  That was as close as the delivery guy dared back up the huge semi he was driving.  I TOLD Tractor Supply a truck that big could not get in through here!  So now the housemate is calling around for a handyman to get it down the driveway and assemble it for us.  Reaching overhead, or higher than shoulder level, for more than a moment at a time is A Bad Thing for both me and DS1, and I suspect erecting this thing would take a lot of that.

DS1 had a brainstorm of putting it by the driveway, partly sheltered/wind-blocked by the screened porch and partly by the house.  This is perfect for my ulterior motive of making it do double duty as a freezing-night greenhouse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Never got on laptop yesterday.

So, walked yesterday and today.

Yesterday morning, my neighbor came over and fixed our water leak under house. I helped as much as possible. He wouldn't take any money at all. It was a pipe that was buried, but not deeply. I try to keep him fed and so does another neighbor. He is such a blessing!

Washed windows yesterday. Today, I have a vet appt. at 1 for 2 dogs to get nails clipped. One of them has an infection in tail, so will have that addressed.

Going to clean baths and run to Kroger for fruit, veggies and milk. That's about it, I hope!

• Like 3