MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I remember hearing about church in 1919, an empty pew in front and behind, and decorated rod or a a hardware store yardstick on each side of each family.  

• Like 2

Walked this morning and then made and pressure canned Rotel tomatoes all day. 19 pints and 6 quarts. 

• Like 4

Lots of welcomed rain!  Good flush and re-fill for the rain barrels and I'm sure the tubs will enjoy the "wetting" from the heavenlies!  Hubby worked at the homestead on his lumber rack.  Wants to get his lumber off the garage floor...and then worked some on the bathroom project.  I think most of the mudding is done and now he wants to sand it down a bit before he paints the primer and then sprays the texture on the walls.  Gettin' there...!

I been pressure canning potatoes and then water bathed 16 half pints of blackberries...some from our freezer from last years harvest and some that were gifted to us. 

Stopped a day or two ago and bought some fresh produce from a corner vendor.  I am truly enjoying the purple grape tomatoes and the canteloupe.  My canteloups is about the size of a small basketball...3 so far.  Tomatoes are still green.  Yellow squash taking it's time growing to the size I want and the zuchinni is finally snapping out of it's funk and showing signs of life...LOL

So far using Comfrey leaves around the base of my plants seems to repel pests that want to attack the root stems.  I also have laid sprigs of my mint across the tops of the wire cages that I put up and that also seems to deter bugs.  I use my Comfrey 'tea" as a fertilizer as well as some ground up Tums.  I probably shouldn't tell what we save and dilute to pour around the perimeters of the tubs that deter slugs etc...LOL

Fixed hamburger stew with sourdough bread for supper. 

Changed sheets on our bed and on Abby-girl's mattress and the soiled ones are in the washer getting ready for tomorrow...if it rains, hubby will take them to the homestead to put in the dryer.

Hubby got the van inspected today so it's ready for tags at the end of the month.

Need to pay the insurance on the truck but may have to pause the tags until the replacement engine is in...will have to pay a penalty but that's not unusual.  Had to do that on the van when the transmission was being replaced.

Guess I'll head for the shower and get things done for the evening.  Supposed to have more thunderstorms coming in later.  Abby's doing really well eating her chunk of cheese with Catnip hiding inside! LOL  Finds her "hidy hole" and survives the noise. :(

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, Mt_Rider said:

All other body parts involved in the past two days of fiascos, reported in fine today.  Even my brain

:sigh:   I spoke too soon.  I'm back on crutches today.  The Left foot arch will not stay put!  That's the foot I badly tore ligaments/tendons {?}  3 yrs ago....with the same maneuver.  BUT that time I was stepping off the end of the bed.  This time it was inches, not feet.  Late last nite the arch popped again so I wrapped it with an Ace and went to bed.  This morning I had DH put it back in place...for the 3rd time!  Decided I need to leave it alone for a while.  Thus...non-weight-bearing again.

I can only bear the crutches for a short time.  The usual pain of bearing weight on one's arms/hands.  But my problematic L wrist injury is making itself felt too.  OW!   Walk ways thru house are too narrow for my wheelchair....esp. tiny bathroom doorway.  So.....as I did 3 yrs ago, I often just resort to Option #3:  walking on my knees.  THANKFULLY I have good knees.  I had literal callouses on them after 3 wks of knee-walking in 2017.  Carpet is much kinder than the bathroom linoleum!!!  Somewhere I have old volleyball knee pads.  Ah...I have gardening knee pads down ....stairs....in.....basement.....  :buttercup:  

I sent a big note clothespinned to our pulley rope for DH this morning:  BRING UP MY CRUTCHES.  He's at work now and tomorrow.  So it's me and dog.  She's staying out of the way in back of house.  Crutches/wheelchairs/etc ......  :behindsofa:    

:sigh:    I've been debating with myself for the past several days.......should I check in with my doc?  The bronchial thing isn't too bad right now....not "bronchitis".  But it definitely isn't 'my normal' either.  Hasn't been since March.  Last saw her mid-Feb.  Then this L wrist zap-pain from my icy back step fall in Dec.  Doc doesn't even know about that one.  I THOT it was getting better but never fully goes away......like the bronchial.  Now the L foot thing .....  No records for that 2017 injury either cuz  :shrug:   I just did non-weight-bearing, ice, elevation and recovery.  No x-ray  taken cuz I didn't go in for that either.  

We don't go in for things unless it's obviously beyond "home-repair"  .....yanno what I mean?  DH can click the arch back in place but .....   I've searched the house in places I might have put my what-do-ya-call-em socks.  The tight ones for .... plantar faciitis  (sp)   Anyway, the sox eventually cured that but I thot they might help this arch problem too?  Can't find where I put them.  :gaah:   Using Ace wrap now.

MtRider   ....I'm dithering again about going in.....not going in.  :sigh:   I hate dithering!  Hmph! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Do you have one of those knee-high skate boards?

Edited by Ambergris

You mean the knee scooters?  No.....I'd sure grab one if I ever saw it at a garage sale/thrift store.  That's how I get almost all my durable medical equipment.  Cuz all that is expensive to purchase otherwise.  Hopefully this won't take too long to get my arch sorted out...... 

MtRider   :buttercup: 

• Like 1

Dang girl. :pray:  I was going to suggest the gel knee pads like the ones Home Depot etc. sells for carpenters and floor layers. 

I understand about putting off doctor visits. I'm usually on my last leg or out of Rx before I go in. At least no one can accuse us being a malingerer.  :pout:

• Haha 1

Hope you are feeling better today, Mt. Rider!

Walked this morning, then started laundry, gave dogs their flea meds, cut up more cheese for extra treats this weekend (for extra dogs). Labeled the rotel tomatoes, removed bands and put away (only one pint did not seal).

Then, weed eated part of my garden that is over. Sometimes, it gets to the point where the weeds just win. Still need to prune tomato plants and fertilize. Maybe I can get another round out of them.

• Like 2

Wellll....I made an appt.  for tomorrow.  <_<      But my doc isn't there/doesn't have openings til end of Aug.  So I'll see a nurse practitioner.  ANOTHER new person.   'Scheduling' transferred my call to a screening RN ....probably cuz I mentioned "coughing".   No, I do not have COVID.  NO fever, etc.  I have a sore foot from the falling incident(s) and a cough that began in January...seem to clear and restarted in March.  IF it's still going away...it's very slow. 

:buttercup:   I hate to be complicated.  Even in January when I knew it was bronchitis.....no, it has to be complicated and they test for pertussis.  :puzzledsmile:My voice started going deep and rough as we talked.  :shrug:   But my foot arch seems to be holding.  Walking carefully on both feet tonite.  TOO sore to use knee-walking or crutches.  

DH is going on a different schedule at his work in a couple weeks.  His back is not holding up - from long ago... 2 crushed vertebrae.  He'll be on call to Fill-In.  Might only go in once a month.  It keeps his foot in the door, in case he can get his back to calm down again.  It has still been in spasm by the time his Mon/Tues comes 'round again.  Even with less tables, some processes are now more awkward with COVID rules.  The restaurant has been busy.  But our county has been increasing with COVID cases.  :shrug: 

Changes....always changes!  Damp weather for our region makes us all feel aches that we never do with our usual arid weather.  But...glad for the good downpour of rain the past days.  :amen: 

MtRider  :sigh:   We'll see what this medical person says.....should I bring her fresh collards, Kappy?  

• Sad 2

MtRider,   I hope everything goes well!    I know how it is to deal with a new person...I'm always thinking "will they listen and understand all the health stuff they need to hear and understand before we get to the treating the new symptom/problem"....:pray:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of lovely rain...so didn't need to water tubs today either.  Harvested a couple of yellow squash.  Got a Zuchinni that will be ready shortly.  Lots of green tomatoes.  The Canteloup look about the same but I keep looking for more! LOL  Put some more Comfrey leaves around the roots of the plants.  It appears that bugs don't like the Comfrey's furry side up! LOL  I cut a slice in the leaf and lay it at the base of my plant.  So far...so good.  Love my Comfrey plants...and the "tea" makes a wonderful fertilizer...even if it is stinky! LOL

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well, brand new mama kitty decided to have her litter last night.  Under the front steps where nobody can reach them.  Where it bakes in the 110 degree sun afternoons and water rushes in when it rains (both of which we were supposed to have today).  They caught her unaware - first time mother & Im not sure she knew what was happening for baby #1 - I found him screaming on the concrete driveway pad where she likes to lie down in the cool evenings.  Rescured him.  Hunted for and heard her under the front steps.  Got a crowbar, pried off 1 board and got her and 2 more little ones out into a prepared bed (she was familiar with it because it was under the shed where the kitties sleep).  Because we handle & pet our outside kitties a lot, she trusted me and did not fight when everybody got boxed, taken indoors and put in the bathroom tub (safe, dry, climate controlled).  For a first timer she was doing well - cleaning and nursing the new babies, even the one she had lost getting to her under-porch place (I was relieved, they are too little to hand feed so young).  Shut the door so she could have privacy, after making sure she had fresh food & water where she could reach it).  Left a note for mary about the booby trapped front step and went to sleep.  

Surprise!  woke up and Mama has 5 little ones (no wonder she was so miserable)!  All looking like strong little wiggly peanuts, pushing in to nurse.  Mary fixed the step (I had pried it up carefully, not even bending the nails, so we could just pound it into place, which she did while I made our breakfast pancakes).  Mama is tending the babies, eating canned cat food (extra rations because she is nursing) and loving it.  She loves being petted when we look in on her.  Yay!  It looks like she will be a good calm mama.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another day.  Mama and kittens are doing fine.  Our oldest aussie, Max is starting to fade - he is 15 - and he has been blind & deaf for about 6 months, but was chugging along working on scent.  Last night we noticed he is starting to stumble, and this morning he is very restless and unsteady on his feet.  We are expecting him to pass on today, but opted not to go to vet for the euthenasia, as he does not seem to be in pain.  Instead we are petting him, making him corfortable, and simply waiting.  Chainsaw Mary wanted the shot, but i asked her why, if he is not in pain, should he not go comfortably at home instead of in a scary setting of the vet (though he does like the vet).  Some dogs are special and Max is one, so he deserves to just slip away among friends and family.  He will be cremated and hi memory honored.  

Sovial Seurity day today.  Paid up the last of the month's  bills.  Not much left, but then again, it is enough, aand it is all I ask....enough for bills and food for me and mine and I am content.  No good sales on groceries, so we will see what develops for Pension day.  Yep, we named those days....our mini=holidays...kinda like Thanksgiving, we give thanks for making it another mile down the road, LOL.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

It's always sad when a loved one passes. Be it two legs or four. :hug3:

Give them the best life possible then let them sleep. :sigh:

• Like 2

Kappydale,  congratulations on the new kittens.

So sorry to hear about your Aussie.  I know how hard that is.  We have been there as well.  3 dogs and 4 cats now all in animal heaven.  It is a hard thing to go through. Prayers for you and Chainsaw Mary.  Sad times in deed. But remember all the good times. That makes everything so much easier after a while.

Today DH was released from home phys. therapy.  He should start Heart rehab in a couple of weeks. He is a bit stronger but has a long way to go.  We went to family doctor Monday for our phys. and he now has hypothyroid. So he is now on Synthroid and has to be checked again in  6 weeks to see if the dosage will need changing. That explains why he is so tired and cold.  My thyroid levels were off as well but went the other way Hyperthyroid. He didn't change my medicine as I had not taken mine while DH was in hospital. So now that I am back on track he thinks it will come back to normal levels.  Having mine checked again in 6 weeks as well. 

DH has to go for his ultrasound tomorrow and then see heart surgeon on Friday. After that I have a free week to get car in shop and some serious canning done. Bought some chicken and beef to can up this weekend. If the heart surgeon does his by phone then I can get canning done on Friday instead of Sat.  That would be great if he does it that way.

WE2, I could use some of that rain down our way. It is just going around us.  Thunder, but no rain. It has been so hot here. We have broken records for sure.   Monday was 102. Been a long while since we had that. Tuesday was 100. Those were the real temps. Index was up to 110. Just to hot for us. 

• Sad 1

As I read your post, Kappy.......wow, it hit me how much I miss cats!  My latest beloved passed Dec 2017 at 18.5 yrs old.  I've been cat-less 2.5 yrs.  :(   But its fun to read of your new mama/babies.  Good thing you found her...and #1 newborn!!  Sorry to hear about beloved elder dog nearing his end.  :sigh:

:pray:  for Little Sister and her dh.  Still a lot of medical appts....to wear you out.  But sounds  like some things are being discovered and corrected.  Yes, take your meds while you're caring for your dh!!  :hug3:    

On 7/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, out_of_the_ordinary said:

deal with a new person...I'm always thinking "will they listen and understand all the health stuff they need to hear and understand before we get to the treating the new symptom/problem"...

Exactly, OOTO!  But I got blessed.  The Nurse Practitioner was very good:  kind, attentive, and explained it all.  :thumbs:  Our same M.A. was there to take vitals and do a breathing test.  All electronic recording how much you're blowing into the tube.  I passed that so I do not have COPD.   :lol:   No, I do NOT have COVID either.  ....well, they didn't test for that cuz only symptom was coughing/breathing/congestion....   But that sure got me an appt. fast.  I think having no fever got me out of having the mega-Qtip up the nose.  Did that in January and while it's not really painful except an ouch here and there, it's not pleasant.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We've determined that I merely have a worse case of allergies than I've experienced before.  Never remember reacting strongly to aspens ....then later the fine yellow particles of the pine trees.  And always, there is DUST!  Apparently,  DH had figured that's what it was [...and somehow I was supposed to read his mind?]  He was pleased with the result :  a 'script for something to reduce production of clogging stuff.  Try for 2 weeks.  If need more to cut this allergic reaction to particulates in general, I have a steroid [up the nose] spray to finish the job. 

But how does that affect bronchial?  In a word: drainage.  Oh....never connected those dots.  :shrug: 

DH went in to get the scripts filled.  I waited in the car......exhausted!  And it wasn't that big a deal.  But....I have not "been out" for months....among people.  Just the Forest.  Overload of stimulation.  AND being back in the little exam room with mask on.....that's HOT!   Had to get out the ice/gel packs I always carry to stay cool enough.  :knary:   That drains me!  Outside was nicely cool cuz we got more rain like WE2's.   [We'll likely be sending more your way....]   Love the rain for coolness and no fire danger.  :amen:  

Got home and sanitized stuff we had in the doc office.  Change clothes and I took shower.  Then called my mom cuz she was WONDERING ....  Relieved her worry.  Merely allergies.  :shrug:   

THEN I had a big hypoglycemic attack!  Started shaking so fast that I got breakfast leftovers out of fridge and shoveled into my mouth cold.  Ate a couple peppermint patties too.  Then more food!  I've drastically cut back on sugars the last few days.....{cuz that had gotten way out of control.I assume my body is used to more regular feeding of sugars and let me know.  :buttercup:  Oh well.  Feel fine now .....

MtRider  ....but TIRED!  :offtobed: 

• Like 2

THEN I had a big hypoglycemic attack!  Started shaking so fast that I got breakfast leftovers out of fridge and shoveled into my mouth cold.  Ate a couple peppermint patties too.  Then more food!  I've drastically cut back on sugars the last few days.....{cuz that had gotten way out of control.}  I assume my body is used to more regular feeding of sugars and let me know.  :buttercup:  Oh well.  Feel fine now .....

I do the same thing. By the time I stop shaking, I've eaten a whole meal.   :grinning-smiley-044:  Sometimes, I'm seen eating chips/candy bar I've quickly paid for and run back into the board store to help hubby shop. I'm so different than my diabetic husband and mother.  :0327:

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, out_of_the_ordinary said:

MtRider,   I hope everything goes well!    I know how it is to deal with a new person...I'm always thinking "will they listen and understand all the health stuff they need to hear and understand before we get to the treating the new symptom/problem"....:pray:

With a new doc, I always hope that they have actually already looked at and understand my chart and maybe have questions that are relevant.  Usually not!

Walked first this morning, then cleaned baths, dusted house and cleaned up office area. Made salads for us, rice for dogs food and later will make Pecan Upside Down Cake for company coming tomorrow.

Found a tomato worm yesterday. I hate those things!

• Like 3

Mt. Rider I am glad all went well.  

Took DH to Norfolk for his ultrasound of heart to see if clips are working. Will have a phone conf. tomorrow about the test. Really praying all goes well. Though he may still have to have the other valve clamped as well, which means another hospital stay. But only overnight I hope. My nerves are a bit frayed still as I always get turned around trying to get back to tunnel to come home. With the construction over there it makes it hard to get where you need to be. Hoping this will be last trip for a long while giving all that construction mess. But we are now home safe and sound again. Thank you Lord for getting us home safe before the rain. 

Dinner will be homemade subs tonight fast and easy. Though Subway sounds good but to much salt for DH. 

Gave daughter a jar of my barbeque to try. She is funny. Canned pork barbeque. Yep. You will be learning to eat different if things go South. Told her I am canning everything from freezer and what I can't can, if it can be dehydrated then it goes in the dehydrator. If she wants food to eat they better learn to eat new things. Though the barbeque is what we have always made, it is just canned now instead of frozen. Not the first time I have canned pulled pork. I am also looking at canning recipes for new soups and such.  Also thinking of getting some dry beans canned as well. I have loads of them and some are past 5 years old though it takes longer for those to cook because over time they do get tough, they still taste as good as if I just bought them. But canning them saves water and that is what I am thinking about. We don't know what could happen water wise with hurricane season and whatever else mother nature throws at us. Not to mention possible civil war or worse. I am in process of figuring out ways to do a catchment system. I understand some people are buying children's swimming pools to catch water. Not sure about that because of the plastic.  Don't know if it is BPH free and all that stuff. And if they are made in China. who knows what might be in that plastic. Might just use food safe plastic buckets or invest in those 55 gal. water barrels. Those are not cheap.

• Like 6

Hurricane Douglas decided to get all enthusiastic out in the Pacific.  I looked up Doppler and told DD2 last nite on phone that it would be back to a tropical storm when it was supposed to pass over Big Island.  Today Accuweather had H.Douglas going up to a Cat 3 and it would be Cat 1 when eye hits Big Island.  Sent that data on to DD2.

She emailed tonite:  It's a Cat 4 RIGHT NOW!  :runcirclsmiley2:AND the main path projected at this point, brings the eye over the Haleakala side of Maui!!!!  Direct hit?  But down to Cat 1 hopefully by that time.  But. Stay. Tuned.  Hurricanes are SO fickle!  They change up and go wherever.  H. Iniki was that last direct hit on Hawaii.....I was there.  H. Iniki made a 90* change in course during the night.   We all woke up to BAD news!  But it hit on the Kauai side of the island string as a Cat 4.   Maui had plenty of drama but nothing like Kauai!  Wow. 

Our 'ohana live in the narrow section between two volcano round parts of the "Valley Isle".  They're in the valley.  Please pray for them and all of Hawaii.....that H. Douglas will calm down and give moderate rain.

MtRider  :pray: 

• Sad 2

Praying for your family, Mt_Rider. DH and I have stayed there numerous times as R&R after projects in SE Asia. My dad was stationed there after WWII. My uncle taught at the Univ. and as a kid my family stayed with his family for three weeks. Can you imagine 10 kids in one small house? We usually slept on the beach with sleeping bags. No wonder the two mom's talked us into those wonderful adventures. The islands are one of my favs.   :woohoo:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Praying for your family in Hawaii, Mt. Rider!  Sounds like they are in for a storm one way or another!

Woke up at 4 am this morning. What the heck!

Already washed sheets on guest bed, washed rugs and swept floors.

Still need to do long video- no walk, hip hurts, make meatloaf and mashed potatoes (with 5# bag that was gifted).

Other than that, just mess around today and visit.

Made a Pecan Upside Down Bundt Cake last night.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for prayer, y'all!  :grouphug:  

Right now H.Douglas is down to Cat 3.  It's now PREDICTED to skim north of Maui but could nick Moloka'i on it's way to 'Oahu.  By the time it's passing by Maui/Lana'i/Moloka'i , it's SUPPOSED to be Cat 1.   Barely missing so close is pretty much same as hitting.  If it veers out further north....well that might make a difference.  Coming from Cat 4 or Cat 3 or even Cat 2 .....down to Cat 1 is a HUGE difference.  Thankful for that!  :amen: 

Hope you can get your hip functioning/feeling better, Miki.  I know how frustrating it is to not be able to continue the usual walking.  I'm there since Jan 2020.  :tapfoot:  Sometimes I can/ sometimes I can a little/ sometimes For-Get-It! 

MtRider  ...You're making me homesick, Homesteader!  :wub:   No Maui au!  [...means: I'm from Maui]

Edited by Mt_Rider
forgot word
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mt. Rider I am glad all went well.  

Took DH to Norfolk for his ultrasound of heart to see if clips are working. Will have a phone conf. tomorrow about the test. Really praying all goes well. Though he may still have to have the other valve clamped as well, which means another hospital stay. But only overnight I hope. My nerves are a bit frayed still as I always get turned around trying to get back to tunnel to come home. With the construction over there it makes it hard to get where you need to be. Hoping this will be last trip for a long while giving all that construction mess. But we are now home safe and sound again. Thank you Lord for getting us home safe before the rain. 

Dinner will be homemade subs tonight fast and easy. Though Subway sounds good but to much salt for DH. 

Gave daughter a jar of my barbeque to try. She is funny. Canned pork barbeque. Yep. You will be learning to eat different if things go South. Told her I am canning everything from freezer and what I can't can, if it can be dehydrated then it goes in the dehydrator. If she wants food to eat they better learn to eat new things. Though the barbeque is what we have always made, it is just canned now instead of frozen. Not the first time I have canned pulled pork. I am also looking at canning recipes for new soups and such.  Also thinking of getting some dry beans canned as well. I have loads of them and some are past 5 years old though it takes longer for those to cook because over time they do get tough, they still taste as good as if I just bought them. But canning them saves water and that is what I am thinking about. We don't know what could happen water wise with hurricane season and whatever else mother nature throws at us. Not to mention possible civil war or worse. I am in process of figuring out ways to do a catchment system. I understand some people are buying children's swimming pools to catch water. Not sure about that because of the plastic.  Don't know if it is BPH free and all that stuff. And if they are made in China. who knows what might be in that plastic. Might just use food safe plastic buckets or invest in those 55 gal. water barrels. Those are not cheap.

I went to post and this popped up. I must not have hit submit reply.  Must have been really tired.

• Like 3