MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Happy Birthday Miki.

Today ... I am finally sitting down again. My grand babies have been here for a week and I am pooped!!! I don't want to move!!!

It sucks to be old! We just had a lady give us an estimate on painting the inside of our home. We supply the paint and move the furniture away from the walls. 😳😳😳😳😳 Are you ready.... I wasn't. $ 3750.00😥😥😥😥

Now what?

Yikes...$3,750.00 just for applying your paint on the walls. :0327:

All of my inside needs painted too. Old age can suck that's for sure. Those furniture mover coaster things you can get to slide your furniture around work pretty well. Not like advertised but better than 'walking' furniture across the floor. My across the street neighbors had the inside of their house painted about two years ago. I have no idea what it cost them or if they did any of the prep work, but the painters were there for 4 days. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the $5,000.00 range. Especially since there were about 4 guys there and it was a professional painting company.

They are kind of smart though. They are retired in their late 60's and do something major to their house every other spring. One year it was granite countertops and cabinets. One year the inside of the house got painted. Another year they got a new driveway poured. Then hardwood floors. This year the outside of the house got power washed and painted. They pay the pros to have it done though because I see the trucks. Wish I had been doing things that way.

My day started out fine. I got up and took a shower and got the grass mowed before, hopefully, it rains on it. It wasn't bad but just scraggly. It probably won't need it again for 2 weeks. It's starting to get a little too dry here. Probably a good thing the temperatures have been mild so far.

Then I was a little sleepy and decided to stretch out in front of the fan for a minute. That was around noon. Next thing I knew it was 5:00pm. Dang. There goes my sleep pattern. Again.

Then I got a call from the Dr. office saying my blood work came back. Crud. That's almost as scary as looking at the scale when they weigh you. It seems that my thyroid is very low. Not the organ itself but the juice stuff. Whatever. I should probably let that line of thinking go. Anyway....

It's kind of a good news bad news. Bad news it isn't functioning well and I'll have to add another pill. Good news is maybe that's been where some of my medical issues lie. Dr. Google said it could take 3-4 weeks before I see any difference, if in fact I do. I'm just hoping I get some of my energy back and that I won't have any of the reactions. Just those two things would be worth it.

I don't like how you have to take it though. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. And then not eat or drink anything except for water, or take any other meds for an hour. Yeah, I'm going to remember that. :grinning-smiley-044:

Oh, and she wasn't the one who recommended the thyroid test. I did. Since they were taking blood anyway I asked her to go ahead and check it. I'll probably have to have another poke in 6 months so I'm going to 'tell' her to do a complete blood work analysis. I hate needles but if I have to have it for something else they might as well make the best of it. He// with the insurance. I pay them enough for nothing anyway. :pout:

Jeepers, read (or google) up on coconut oil and thyroid issues. Coconut oil really gives my metabolism a boost without the caffeine let down. Talk to your doctor first, though.

Today was just a normal ebay, laundry day. Except I did make a loaf of peanut butter banana bread! Tomorrow I go to the doctor to get blood drawn for my 6 months visit. So glad they have only seen me twice a year for the past two years! I don't think I'm much of a help paying their bills though (or swimming pools).

Thanks for the Birthday wishes Mt. Rider and Carr!

Will do Miki. I used to only have to go to the Dr. once a year. Then I got old. Now it's twice a year too.

I know what you mean about paying their bills. I had the option of making an appointment or having the conversation with the nurse on the phone. My first thought was another office call $$$$. Nothing else they could tell me anyway. They already had the blood work up. "Thyroid is low...take this medicine." I didn't need a face to face for that.

Oh my word!!! $3,750!!! That's a lot. The good news is, we decided to repaint our own. The bad news is, we've only accomplished one closet since that decision was made!!! :laughkick: But the closet looks really good!!!! Unfortunately, it will not hold all the stuff my master plan included for it to hold. OOPS. The good news is, we ... I ... painted one room a few years ago and it's holding up well. The bad news is, we have A LOT of rooms to go!!! Jeepers, we have a whole neighborhood full of your neighbors. Bless their hearts, they must want us to move so badly. I think we have become the people who bring down the property values!!!! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?? Oh well. I won't rehash what got us here, but I will say, we have lovely neighbors who have been so patient with us and supportive of our trials. I know they will be thrilled when we get all these plans off the drawing board and into action!!! So will I, come to think of it!!!

We can see the finish line and checkered flag when it comes to painting rooms. This place will go on the market next month. We've been working on it for four years, with quite a few months traveling for work. We usually don't do much during the summer as we like to live outside. :hug3:

Painting is about 'prepping'. Without the work in the front, the painting job will show it. Stay with neutral colors and you won't have to cut-in so carefully between color transitions. Those colors are also easier to sell to others when the house goes on the market. An average room cost us about $100 in ceiling and wall paint. Be sure to purchase good paint and it will last for years. Do it on a sunny day with lots of back lighting, and it will pick up on 'missed' areas.

As soon as DH finishes the electrical and we get an inspection, we start slapping up drywall on the ceiling and walls. Can't wait to see the new bedroom, finished. :hi: I have to keep reminding myself as to why we are moving. We have the perfect place now. B)

It will be very hot today and humid so we will be sticking indoors. I DO have plenty of housekeeping jobs to do unfortunately!

We are being innundated with tomatoes this year. Nearly all are perfect in looks and taste. I don't know what the difference is this year but I wish I could repeat it again next year.

Stay cool all!

It will be very hot today and humid so we will be sticking indoors. I DO have plenty of housekeeping jobs to do unfortunately!

We are being innundated with tomatoes this year. Nearly all are perfect in looks and taste. I don't know what the difference is this year but I wish I could repeat it again next year.

Stay cool all!

I understand about the tomatoes! If I make rotel tomatoes as I planned, I will end up with 56 pints! Yikes! Tomatoes are finally done but that's a lot of rotel! Where would I find the recipe for Annie's Salsa? Is it still here somewhere?

I've had a pretty good and quiet Birthday, today! Cooked and cleaned some this morning and rested mostly this afternoon. Should have a new (ish) camera coming Tues. My 11 year old canon digital died on me and I need it for ebay, if not for playing around. Found a really good deal on ebay, so if everything works, I will be set for awhile. The flash is worth more than I am paying for everything! I can do a return if there is a problem.

Have a happy Independence Day, everyone!

:thumbs:

Still hot & humid in our neck of the woods. Mixed up another small batch of my personal deodorant and it's in the frig. The small amount remaining is in it's little "tube" (sort of like a lip balm container) and will still last me quite awhile. Worked on the remaining side of my crochet'd net topper. I gave one away (that I made last year) to a friend when I saw her wearing one and asked her about it and she said she'd bought it...so now she'll have one that was a gift :-) Last night we went over to the Homestead and worked about an hour cleaning up the disaster area that was once an upstairs apartment :-( It was just too hot and we didn't want to kick on the little window a/c because it wouldn't have made a dent in the temperature before we'd be shutting things down :-( The rent has headed west "somewhere" for parts unknown. This afternoon a friend called and she'd being over-run with beets, corn and some other garden items so she'll be bring some into town Saturday. Guess I'll be canning a lot sooner that I planned...don't know if that's good or bad...but MrWE2's still working on a work project so I guess I'll just take advantage of my home time to work the veggies up. We didn't plant any beets...:-)

WE2, Canning-good! LOL

I found the Annie's Salsa recipe so now I should have 12 pints of salsa and about 42 pints of rotel. Or 28 pints and 12 quarts. Still yikes, but a little more manageable!

Well, today I am baking gluten-free breads and getting other stuff done for our trip to Beckley, WV for the Pathway to Health event. DH and DS got the air conditioner working on the car, fixed the trunk latch and replaced the emergency brake handle with one from a junk yard this week. I have a long list of stuff I have to do before we leave Sunday afternoon.

Froze 6 qts of sugar peas and 1 qt of blueberries yesterday.

So has your 'renter' moved? I hope so for everyone's concern. Fresh starts and all of that. :hug3:

Yep...renter is gone...and oh what a mess we've been cleaning up. About an inch of dog hair on livingroom & bedroom carpet...and a vacuum sitting in the corner :-( We'll be pulling all the carpets out. Frig is shot. Guess a 400# person leaning on the bottom door while inspecting things inside sprung it? It's old and inefficient anyway...so...out it will go.

Made our rounds picking up a few things at Aldi's and Sav-A-Lot plus paying a few bills. Then after lunch we headed for the Homestead to do some more cleaning :-( Put a thermometer on the wall in the apartment and with no a/c, only one window open and one fan blowing outward...temp was 90. We took our Turbo fan over and we'll set it at the back entry door pointing up the stairs and that will surely help alot!

Yesterday was spent in the main bedroom packing up books and cleaning out a dresser. After moving out the bookcase and dresser, the room looks MUCH larger. :hapydancsmil: We have a little bit of time left before we put the house on the market. Everyone is telling us to make the place look as large as possible. Since we're not collectors, it shouldn't be too bad (famous last words). B)

Now if we can get that young and strong missionary from work to pick up the queen-size sofa, I'll be very happy. He's finally found a house, and I've found a good place to donate the bed/sofa. He and his strapping friends need to move it down the stairs and out the door, though. :thumbs:

DS1 and I have haircuts, the butchering of three stewing hens and the final rake-out of their pen, a Zaycon pork pickup, a radiator flush, a papr/cardboard burning session, and some office catch-up. Pre-wreck, I could do all this except my own haircut (which is why I had long hair) and still have Sunday unplanned. But now I mostly ride along.

I'm cooking a huge pork roast that I got in the day old meat discount area. We will have it tonight with kraut, potatoes and home grown corn on the cob. The leftovers will be BBQ sandwiches this week. DH moved the new refrigerator into place which was a chore...I had to help. Then I handed him the tools while he cleaned out the dryer vent. I also mopped the kitchen floor after we moved the fridge. I also cleaned all the toilets and sinks..oh what fun! I also paid the bills and thought I deserved a little puter break before lunch so here I am!

Our second quote for painting came in even higher 4,118.75🤑 My, my,my, we are so out of touch with prices.

We were however in prepper paradise for the last little while, we have been picking Saskatoon berries. And they are FREE! I bagged them up in four cup quantities and have about thirty bags in the freezer.

We were out looking at condos in the city, that move would save us a lot of money but neither of us are ready to leave the farm yet. We think we will just stay with the plan to declutter and downsize our STUFF. That way we will be more prepared to move on when we are ready (or not, given our ages and medical issues). It is hard to think about a move when you are enjoying the summer time yard. Not so hard when you are dreading the winter time work, and cold.

I'm getting packed and ready to go meet my tiny grandson. I leave in the morning and will probably be back Saturday night. I'm driving, which I'd rather do than flying. "Only" 6 hours and 95% is on toll roads so it shouldn't be horrible. And all daytime driving. They are an hour behind me so I'll sort of gain an hour going. I don't care about the return trip.

I've decided not to take my laptop. I debated on it. But nothing is more important than spending time with G-son. Even it's just to watch him sleep.

Will check in when I return.