MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Kroger in Harborview had decent, reasonably priced produce Littlesister.  We went there last Thursday and I got a bunch of zucchini and bellpepper.  They also had chicken breast reasonably priced and beef roast on sale for 1.99lb.  I haven't seen that in forever.  I got 3 roasts and froze them.    

We went on a hike last Friday at a local park.  We picnicked by the lake and then walked 5.7 miles;  it was a good day for it.  DH got ate up by bugs and we saw almost no people.  It was nice to get out into the fresh air.  

57 more days until D-Day (delivery day) and I am starting to nest like crazy.  I went through the inventory and we are well stocked on food and cleaning supplies though I'd like to add more meat to the freezer if we find good prices.  I have most of the baby stuff I need, though we still need to find curtain rods and pictures for the room and a few more of the heavy cotton baby blankets.  Most of mine are crochet and a few fleece.  I'm not bothering with formula since I'm planning to nurse and I have a pump that still works along with a few 'natural' nipple bottles if worse comes to worse.    I have a pack of NB diapers and 2 boxes of size 2, but I need to stock more NB and some size 1 along with more wipes.  This month we will focus on the diaper stash  I think.  We discussed doing cloth and decided that we'd rather have disposable but would swap to cloth if needed.  

Somehow the ringer on my phone got turned off yesterday, so I never heard DH call me.  His truck would not start after work.  He got a ride home with a friend and took my van in this morning.   If he cannot get it to start, then we will have to get it towed to the shop.  We've already spent $2K fixing the thing this year alone.  It never ends.  Its stuck on the base with limited access so we are praying we can get it to start and not have to go through an 'approved' towing company or a whole bunch of base issues getting it off base.  Luckily we have my ancient van and I rarely go anywhere so he can just drive mine until we figure out what to do.  

Drow Hunting Camp2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thank you euphrasyne.  I am checking them out tomorrow. Though I don't really need the beef as I just canned up 3 roast the other day. The price on the roast is not bad at all.  I will check out both the chicken and beef as well.  I would love to go get the produce though as without having a garden this year, i am depending on farms and good sales at the store.  If you had come down to Bennett's pasture Rd. and went to a park near there, you won't far from me at all. We go to the Bennett's Creek park sometimes. 

Took car in for the oil change and the engine light and found out the engine light should have been addressed by the dealer. Told them 3 times about the light and they did nothing. Now they have no choice but to repair the transmission because of it. All on their dollar. It was on their recall and they never notified us about it. Nor when I told them about the issue would they even so much as look at it. The place where I took the car for the oil change printed out a 26 page report about it. I have it all documented. Car goes in on Monday morning and they also got an ear full about not fixing this last year after 3 times telling them about it.

Got turkey breast out of freezer to thaw so I can get it canned. Not sure yet how I want to can it up. But have some ideas.

Nextdoor neighbor just got taken to hospital. Hope and pray he is ok.

• Like 5

HOT again today, 105°in the shade, 114° in the vehicle, and 179° in the BBQ. 

Dealt with the dentist, he’s a very compassionate person. Warned me not to fall & be gentle on my bones. A very noticeable difference, between X-rays from 6 months ago.  The tooth he removed was coming out by itself, by an1/8th inch. Have an apt. to get the next one out. Sigh. No bone density left. ‘‘Tis what it is”. I kinda knew. But to see the difference in the X-rays was quite noticeable. :shakinghead:   He said there isn’t anything I can do to stop it.  Crud, on the bright side of things, it won’t be long before I actually get a full set of dentures. Hopefully before SHTF. Plus, I get 1/2 price off, cause they are so easy to remove. (Lol. NOT!). Learning to eat with no/very little teeth is something to experience. :grinning-smiley-044:

DH went to reload my .243, & I’m cooking beef stroganoff, thinly sliced beef for dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My mother has been giving herself shots of something that sounds utterly frightful, in an effort to build bone density.  But you have to weigh your own risks and make your own decisions.

• Thanks 1

I have Osteoporosis and doctors have tried to get me to take Foxamax and Actonal for it. I thought the injections were still experamental. But by now maybe not.  I was told by one of my doctors about the Foamax and Actonal that it does make your bones stronger but to think about a piece of china being dropped on the floor. The bones are strong but like a china plate. It you fall it's not a break you will have but the bone will splinter and crack up like that china plate you dropped on floor. So he told me to take lots of Vit. D. So I take 5000 units of D daily. My test has stayed the same. No change so far. 

• Like 4

:grinning-smiley-044:  retirement is not boring, in the least. I do more as retired the

an I ever did employed. Lol

Ambergris, I do a lot of milk, Vid D, and veggies with calcium, but have to stay away from pill form calcium it gives me kidney stones, which aren’t nice.. Nuf said. :rolleyes:

Kappydell, hope you are feeling better, sorry for your loss. 

Take a day off, Littlesister, you deserve it. 

euphrasyne, I raised my brothers on cloth.  Such a budget saver.   Keep your chin up, Lady.

Jeepers, I’ve noticed thing disappearing in the store, shopping accordingly. 

Mt_Rider, glad your family are safe. 

You amaze me Miki, keeping up with your exercise routine. I keep myself busy in the yard in the morning, then tidying up the house from the puppies during the day. Yup, that’ll do it. Lol. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

I have Osteoporosis and doctors have tried to get me to take Foxamax and Actonal for it. I thought the injections were still experamental. But by now maybe not.  I was told by one of my doctors about the Foamax and Actonal that it does make your bones stronger but to think about a piece of china being dropped on the floor. The bones are strong but like a china plate. It you fall it's not a break you will have but the bone will splinter and crack up like that china plate you dropped on floor. So he told me to take lots of Vit. D. So I take 5000 units of D daily. My test has stayed the same. No change so far. 

Exactly. There is no way I’m taking anything from China for it,God protects me, & that settles it.

5000 mgs?  I’m only taking 1,000. Does it make a difference?

• Like 1
Just now, Annarchy said:

Exactly. There is no way I’m taking anything from China for it,God protects me, & that settles it.

5000 mugs?  I’m only taking 1,000. Does it make a difference?

I don't know if it will make a difference or not.  When doc check my Vit. D levels through the labs, I was very low on D. For a while I was on prescription of 50,000 units of vit. D. That is why I take the 5000 units of it.  As for calcium, you have to be a bit more careful as to how much you take as it can cause kidney stones as well as effect your heart. Labs need to be done to keep a check on that. 

• Like 2

Littlesister, yet my Vit D levels are actually high, as with calcium. My body isn’t making it go where it is supposed to..  like I said, it is what it is.  I’m not worried, it’s in God’s hands, how can I complain about that?  I trust Him to take care of me, and, that’s all that matters....to me.  :happy0203:

• Like 4

My Vit. D3 level was extremely low the last blood work I had. She gave me a script for 5,000 UI of D3. When the prescription ran out I looked at the OTC meds. Their basic unit amount is 5,000 too. They are pretty cheap. Often Wal-Mart has two bottles wrapped together...BOGO. At least they used to. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, I am surprised if the levels were that low, she didn't give you the 50,000 units to take and then do another lab in 2 or 3 months to see how well the level has come up and then had you start the lower dose. That is usually how it is done.

Been up since 4 am.  DH couldn't sleep again and got up to play solitaire on computer.  just before 4 he was coming back to bed and fell. Took a bit of effort to get him back on his feet and in bed. He did scrape his elbow against wall and had that bleeding but otherwise ok. Thank you Lord he didn't break anything.  So we are back on the rule of you cannot get up without calling me to help you. Even during the night he has to wake me up to get out of bed. He had his walker and was using it but his left leg is weak and it gave out on him. Glad I had that belt for lifting him up. That is  a lifesaver. 

So since I am up already, going to get started canning the turkey in a bit. Couldn't go back to sleep after he fell. But he is now sleeping like a baby. 

• Like 3

Because of my GI surgery a few years back, I have to take a lot of vitamins because I have severe malabsorption.  Several doctors explained to me that the body cannot process high doses of anything and mostly we make very expensive pee.   I eat 500mg calcium gummies spread 3x throughout the day--making sure they are roughly 4 hours apart.  It is better absorbed this way and I get a total of 1500mg calcium a day.  My calcium level has been consistently high since I started doing that and it was low before the GI surgery in 2016.  I do the same thing with my other vitamins--smaller daily does spread out with the calcium and the iron late at night by itself.   

Littlesister, we are very close.  I live on the Western Branch side of Pughsville by 664.  DH likes the Bennett's Creek Farmer's market store.   We are that direction a lot b/c my OB is close to Kroger.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4
On 7/27/2020 at 6:46 PM, The WE2's said:

Pressure canning potatoes and now zucchini.

How can you do that without it turning to mush?

I would like to make some veggie soup to can and I use these veggies instead of corn and carrots.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

How can you do that without it turning to mush?

I would like to make some veggie soup to can and I use these veggies instead of corn and carrots.

When I PC zucchini, it is no more mushy than if I cook or stew it down.  Same with okra.  Potatoes are in cans of soup and not mushy.  I PC potatoes for french fries and they work too.

Thanks, Annarchy!  It isn't easy.  Gained a couple of pounds when company was here and taking that back off now.

Walked this morning and then PC'd 11 quarts of okra so I have a little freezer space.  

• Like 3
On 7/28/2020 at 8:53 PM, Annarchy said:

5000 mgs?  I’m only taking 1,000. Does it make a difference?

it depends on what your levels are.  If they are in normal range you are ok to take anywhere from 500 to 1000 mg.

• Like 1

Got really busy today.  DH last night couldn't sleep so he decided to get up at 1:30 in morning to play solitaire. Then at 4:30 he decided to come to bed.  He got to hallway and his knee gave out and he fell. Scared me to death. He did bump his elbow and I had to get that cleaned up and bandaged. Then got him in bed and told him the old rules stand again. Do not get out of bed, a chair or anywhere else without calling me to be there with him. So he has done good with that today. I am going to try a brace on his knee tomorrow to see if it helps. 

Got the turkey breast canned and making bone broth from the carcass.  Still had a little meat on it. Will get that canned first thing in morning and get the okra canned as well. First time I have canned turkey and it really did turn out well. But only got 4 pints from an 8 lb. turkey breast. But that is out of my freezer now. Later after I catch up on things, I am going to defrost the ham and make ham and bean soup. Just getting these things out of freezer is really putting a big dent in there.  Though I am out of places to store it all now. Guess I will have to get creative. 

Miki, I have canned both red potatoes, white potatoes and sweet potatoes and never had a problem. We have use them for french fries, potato salad, mashed potatoes, and fried potatoes. They work out great. The okra I am doing a bit different this time and hoping it will turn out. I alway saute the okra with onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and basil in butter. Only way the kids will eat it. I am going to can the okra with the bell pepper, basil and tomatoes. Then when I saute a jar, I can add the onions and butter, as I saute the onions in butter before adding the other stuff.

euphrasyne,  We are about 10 or 15 minutes from each other. I am right off of Bennett's Pasture Road and Bridge Rd. First neighborhood when you turn off Bridge Rd to Bennett's pasture rd.  DH cooked the collards for the market for over 20 years.  Don't know if he will be able to go back and do that again at this point. Summer collards are an all day job to get them tinder.  And yes the market is not the cheapest. But the produce comes from South Carolina and North Carolina.  They go to the farms there to get the produce. Right now the meat is high due to not being able to get it like they used to, but still getting the good meat from their sources. The chicken is still a good price though. They are a farm market but also a covenience store, which means they don't get the volume of food in stock as a regular grocery store and they have to pay more for it. DH's cousin is also very picky about how the food is cooked for the breakfast, lunches and dinners there. The prices for those are not bad when you think of what some restaurants charge and the food is good. They have a hot food side and a sandwich side. 

Edited by Littlesister
market
  • Like 1

Bennett's Creek does have excellent collards and usually a good selection of produce.  I usually prefer farmer's market vegetables when our budget allows --they just taste better in season.  Yes about 10-15m.  We are behind the bowling alley.   Let me know if you need any help.  I have limited lifting because I'm enormous at 8 months preggo, but I still get a lot done.  

Yesterday, I basically sat on my rear all day.  I worked on my planner and played games on the computer and did a whole lot of nothing.  I needed that.  We did go pick up DH's truck from the shop in the late afternoon.  He managed to get it towed and fixed for way less than I was worried about.  Today I shall finish cleaning the teen spaces in the house: kid's bedrooms, bathroom, and their office. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Walked first thing this morning, then did my monthly stock up a day early to avoid the crowds. I think it worked pretty well. Only thing I couldn't find was jars. No cases of jars anywhere. Finally found 8 jars at a thrift store for a good price. I did get more lids and sure gel.

Don't have much on my list today for afternoon. Pick figs and tomatoes, maybe jalapenos.

• Like 4

euphrasyne, I think with a baby coming you will need more help than me. And if you are interested I have several baby blankets that I made. Nothing special. These you can just put on floor for baby to play on or whatever. If baby spits up on them and they stain, no big deal. They are not anything special.  I made them for my grandkids and the oldest refused to use a store bought blanket. They are big enough for a crib or toddler bed. I will give you a couple if you would like to have them.  Just PM me and let me know. 

Today I got the turkey bone broth canned and then got the sauted okra canned. Had enough of the okra to have with dinner tonight. Really turned out good for being the first time canning it.   Got sheets washed today and tomorrow I will be getting ready for that possible hurricane. Going to start picking up the yard of pots and things like that so they won't blow away. They are now saying it will be a hurricane by Friday and coming through Florida and up coast. Back in ocean and it will pick up strength again. Not good. I am fairly ready, just need to pick up yard mostly. 

Need to make a trip to the Market to see what produce has come in. I want to get enough to can some things. Going to give myself a couple of days from canning to get house cleaned up again. Did clean one bathroom partway. but need to mop floor and get the other bathroom cleaned. Seems like a never ending job these days with DH wanting to stay in bed all day.  I wouldn't let him do that today and made him stay awake all day. I think he's getting his days and nights mixed up. 

He''s going to have surgery again on the 18th for the watchman so he won't have to take blood thinners anymore. Those things really played on his health. He just can't take them. His platelets were through the roof on that Eliquis. Bad stuff with really bad side effects. So that is why we decided to have the watchman implant. Praying all goes well. At least it is only an overnight stay and not a few days. 

• Like 4

:pray:  for Little Sister and dh.   And continued :pray:  for Euphrasyne and family, esp wee one. 

DH did the EARLY grocery run for my mom and us.  I sent her a new puzzle he'd picked up when he went to Walmart last week.  Heard she was out of new ones to keep her inspired.  :lol:   She loved it.  Has the outside border done already.  It's a 500 piece and very colorful.  My brother spends countless hours on phone trying to keep my dad and his computer/printer working together.  He's got the more difficult assignment!!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

• Like 3

Walked this morning and picked up prescription on the way, then paid bills and did month ending books.

Will do DH's meds for the next 2 weeks, call VA for him and make salads for the next couple of days. Must sweep house today.

Will cut okra, pick figs and jalapenos. And cut up some cheese for dog treats. Hope that is about it!

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Like 2

We are getting the hard down pours with sharp lightning. We needed the rain bad.  Everything has been so dry.  Decided to get everything together for this hurricane that should be hitting here around Monday, I think. going to leave the car at shop though on Sunday night. That has to be fixed like yesterday. This is the only time I have to get it fixed and there is going to be a hurricane. Just what I need on top of everything else going on. I wanted to vac. the area rugs but DH is napping so I have to wait again on that. Need to wake him up because I need sleep. This getting up all hours of the night again is rough to say the least. It would be nice if the kids were able to come help a little but they are all working during the day. But thinking as soon as the heart rehab has started and he has been at it a while, he will get stronger. I should be taken a nap along with him. I am all set now for the hurricane. Got eggs and bread though I could make bread. And I found yeast and got some to put in freezer. It was the jars of yeast. :hapydancsmil:So looking like somethings might be starting to come back. The shelves were full of TP but not so much on paper towels and other cleaning products. But that was only one store. Not going to buy anything else other than eggs and things I can't stock a lot of. Now is the time to start using what I have and saving as much money as I can. By the time I finish canning things out of freezer. I should be set for a long while. :shopping: No more of this shopping cart for me for a long time. Only the market for peaches to can. I am not paying 1.99 a can for peaches. I am going to can my own. Been a while since I bought any to can and I am down to 1 quart. 

Rain has now stopped. Don't think we got more than an inch out of that, but better than no rain. We needed it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Don't think we got more than an inch out of that,

:lol:    Sheeeeesh.....if we get a WHOLE INCH of rain at any one time, we'd ride inner tubes in the streets and have flooding into basements.  We measure in tenths of an inch.    What a different climate from yours, Little Sister. 

We got rain....good downpour....4X this afternoon/evening.  :thumbs:  Forgot to set my jar out to see the accumulated total.  Dog knocked jar off the porch and I didn't set it out again. 

Well, I'm back on crutches again.  Foot that twisted as I stepped down in greenhouse last week, got painful again thru last nite.  DH adjusted arch back into place but it's not happy.  Still hurts.  Crutches HURT!  Had DH bring up some gardening knee pads....I'll see if those will protect if I resort to walking on my knees again.  :( 

MtRider  ....best part of today was listening to the rain....from bed!  :shrug: 

• Sad 4

I am watering most days. Our sandy soil eats up all of the bits of rain we've received the past few weeks. I would really like some  underground water pipes layed, but prob won't get it in this lifetime.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Mom and I were counting on the calender how long she has been living with us.  NINE WEEKS!! It doesn't seem possible. I thought we were in the clear as far as liberal city taking away all of mom''s rights. Our govenor mandated masks starting tomorrow. He is known as the little weasel. :laughkick:It's a real slap in the face as he swears in the liberal judge who will now flip the state supreme court. He knows that we won't win the next round of his over-reach mandates. The little weasel.  B) Many of the county sheriff departments hae stated publically that they will not enforce the mask mandate. They have enough to do with BLM riots and the upcoming Democratic Convention in Milwaukee next month. So far, over 100 police departments have declined the initation to protect the liberals who would like to defund the departments. It's getting quite testy around here. I will not wear a mask and will start shopping online. We're saving bunches of money by not window shopping.  :thumbs:

• Like 4