MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Mt. Rider keeping you and your family in prayer. Hope these hurricanes out there fizzle out and not be to bad.  Texas is also about to get hit. Those in that area as well, please try to stay safe.  We have a grandson that is stationed in Texas. Praying for his safety as well. He lives on base.

Today I canned up  11 Jars of chicken breast. Tomorrow I am canning up beef. That should hold us for  awhile with what we already have. My plan is to stay put at home and not go out other than doctors and pick up  our RX's when due. I am on their case now about the 90 day supply. They are determent to only give us a 30 day supply.  I told them flat out that if the doctor says 90 days. then that is what they are to fill. That I am a high risk and don't need to be there all the time picking up RX,s and if they can't fill them for the 90 days then we can move our business else where where they can fill them. That seemed to have worked. They so far had to redo  3 that I had picked up the other day and now for DH they tried the 30 day trick and I said no. 90 day or we move on. It will be here on Monday. He said there was a shortage. Not my problem. I want a 90 day supply.  We need to get our precriptions somewhere other than from China. Past time to bring our drug companies that make the precriptions back to the US and to find a way to make the ingredients here for them. China is doing everything it can to bring this country down.  They always said they could destroy us without firing a shot. Something to think about.

• Like 3

Praying for a safe hurricane season out Hawaii way! 

Not having a great day. Had a hard time staying upright. Sweats, shakes, dizzy, nausea, and trying to keep from passing out. I hate those days. I think I didn't eat soon enough this morning. I checked my blood sugar right away. It was 105. It should be 99 or less. It really wasn't that far off. My blood pressure machine was downstairs so I forgot about trying to go back down for it. I ate and now I feel a little bit better.

At 8:47am the phone rang. It rang twice and I answered it. They hung up. I looked at the caller ID and it was from my nasty neighbor next door. He has never called here before. Ugh. #1 why does he have my number #2 if he didn't just dial it, why is it stored in his phone #3 he didn't 'butt dial' it because it only redials the last number you called. Has he been calling here anonymously (I get lots of hang up calls) and forgot and slipped up and used his house phone line? Idiot. Poor fellow misses his bouncing lawn mower babe. Covid isolation must be getting to him. :rolleyes:  One more time and his wife will find out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Sheeesh, Jeepers.  You need to leave weirdo neighbor behind and head to INDY!  Creepy.   Glad you shocky feeling went away.  Had that yuck yesterday and mine was fixed by eating.....shoveling in till the shakes stopped.  Ick. 

You tell 'em, Little Sister!!  I think we'll request more of my new-and-only-prescription-meds if they work for the sinus/allergy/bronchial thing.  Have taken it for 2 days now....still had to use my peppermint gum and cup of black tea and .....  :shrug:   NP said to test for 2 wks...

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I just noticed.....I don't have the usual HISSSSSSSSSS noise in my ears.  Still have a tone ringing but.....can I guess that the new antihissssstamine med is working?  :misc-smiley-231:

Both legs had a numb, no-response episode this morning.  <_<   Good thing I've experienced this before.  But then, of course I had to go to bathroom somehow.  DH and I and crutches made it.  The muscles go real hard...but not enough to be a spasm.  But can't bend/move.  Numb, not painful.   Gaah.  Work muscles with hands and they slowly become more pliable.  Somewhat later, they become responsive to brain commands again...as in:  move!   :buttercup:  That doesn't happen very often ....except sometimes if I shock the nervous system with a fall.  It's not worrisome; always goes away.  Except for any urgent need for bathroom, of course!  :rolleyes:  

I'm thinking.....mebbe a LOT of what I've considered My Normal .....won't be after excess allergy gunk is cleared?  :)   That would be nice!!!  :amen:      I'm thinking .....mebbe getting to that point ....might have some rough spots tho. 

..... also glued to the Doppler radar ....H. Douglas!   It's a Cat 1 now.  The eye will be skimming just to the north of the island chain but they'll have the effects.  After passing Maui county, H. Douglas will drop down to Tropical Storm.  :pray:

Anyone here have people down in the tip of TX near H. Hana???  :pray: 

MtRider   .....I'm looking for some BORING in my life!  Anyone?

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Mt. Rider keeping you and your family in prayer. Hope these hurricanes out there fizzle out and not be to bad.  Texas is also about to get hit. Those in that area as well, please try to stay safe.  We have a grandson that is stationed in Texas. Praying for his safety as well. He lives on base.

Today I canned up  11 Jars of chicken breast. Tomorrow I am canning up beef. That should hold us for  awhile with what we already have. My plan is to stay put at home and not go out other than doctors and pick up  our RX's when due. I am on their case now about the 90 day supply. They are determent to only give us a 30 day supply.  I told them flat out that if the doctor says 90 days. then that is what they are to fill. That I am a high risk and don't need to be there all the time picking up RX,s and if they can't fill them for the 90 days then we can move our business else where where they can fill them. That seemed to have worked. They so far had to redo  3 that I had picked up the other day and now for DH they tried the 30 day trick and I said no. 90 day or we move on. It will be here on Monday. He said there was a shortage. Not my problem. I want a 90 day supply.  We need to get our precriptions somewhere other than from China. Past time to bring our drug companies that make the precriptions back to the US and to find a way to make the ingredients here for them. China is doing everything it can to bring this country down.  They always said they could destroy us without firing a shot. Something to think about.

• Like 2

Today I canned up 8 pints of beef.  6 jars of eye of round and 2 of chuck roast.  Still working on freezer. Finally put a dent in it. Now to figure out what I want to make with the other veggies in there.  Corn, butterbeans, mixed veggies and other veggies like brussel sprouts and okra. Thinking about taking and canning up okra and tomatoes with some basil. I still have hamburger,, beef, chicken and fish in there. So will be canning up all of that as I get to the bottom of freezer. Tomorrow I am going to pull the 2 turkey breast out to thaw and then get them canned on Monday or Tuesday. Depending on when I can get car in shop. Been a busy couple of days and next week is my free week to get things done before we have another round of doctors again. I am really getting tired of going to doctors offices. At least one will do phone. 

DH stayed in bed all day. :tapfoot: Did not do his exersizes today. Nor anything else. Said he was staying in bed to keep his feet elevated. That part is good but he could have done that in den.  I wanted to wash sheets today. So that didn't happen. 

• Like 2

My ex mil used to make a dish she called OTO.  Okra, tomato and onions.  It was finely chopped, almost but not quite a mashed consistency.  Some people called it a dry gumbo.  It was amazing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I got up early this morning and went over to the grocery store. I was there a half hour after it opened so it wasn't busy. Three things I haven't been able to get in months are still out. Namely, small cans of Bush baked beans, frozen seasoned Brussel sprouts and sandwich size pepperoni. There were only a few packages of toilet paper on the shelf. I picked up one. I didn't look to see if there was a limit. Still no foaming bathroom cleaner or wet wipes for cleaning. The canned veggie aisle was looking pretty sparse with some empty shelves. Frozen veggies looked a little bit better but not by much. Campbell's soup was very low still and some tomato products sold out. 

The canned pop was getting empty too. I heard there is a short supply of aluminum cans. I believe it. Although they were running a sale 3 cases for $11.00. 

I got plenty of fresh fruit and veg. That has always been in good supply here. To be honest, the store looked about like it did when we first started seeing shortages. Still not fully stocked. 

The prices were very high too. I did manage to save $15.60 from my reward points. 

It's supposed to get up to 90° here today. Another reason why I went to the store early. I was sweating bullets by the time I got out of the store as it was. Those masks are so hot. 

Forgot to mention I still can't get the plastic wrapped Raman noodles in a bowl. The ones that starts with an 'M'. Can't remember the name. So I ordered a case (12) of them from Wal-Mart and they arrived Friday. That plus what I have will last me over a year. They are mostly for long term survival food. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

OK.....God is in control and H.Douglas is not a Cat 2,3,4 or 5......  But LOOK at this dragon about to devour Maui county right now:

**** I deleted screenshot cuz I had too much personal data showing.  :buttercup:  .....not my day to deal with tech.*****

:o  Sheeesh, that looks so big next to our little islands.  God please protect all...

MtRider  :pray:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Don't worry about the double image.

I am cleaning house today.  Went to GoodWill yesterday and found a nostalgic item, plus the desk chair dear housemate needed (it goes WAYYY LOWWW) and --another happy surprise! -- five half-gallon Ball jars for two bucks apiece.  

DS1 is refreshing yesterday's big stir-fry for a late lunch.  I brunched from the buckets along the front walk--two baby okra pods, two asparagus bean pods, a few sweet potato leaves and some other leaves and vine tips of various kinds, all lightly sprayed with oil and salted and cooked just until the color started to brighten.

We are trying to get a guy out here to build a support pad for a hot tub, which will be used for back pain relief.  We weren't able to get a prescription, which would have given us relief from the sales tax portion of the price, but oh well.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Had a great visit with visiting friends and their dogs! Ate too much and no exercise. Was better than vacation! LOL At first it was touchy with 3 extra dogs, 1 full grown labradoodle, one white spitz and one black cocker spaniel plus our corgi and 2 chi- mixes) but all was well within half hour or so. Went to a flea market with my friend and got DH a side table with storage to put beside his recliner. All wood and heavy!

Other than that jaunt, we stayed home and visited. Got all housecleaning and cooking done before they arrived. Now they are gone 😢 and I'm still not doing anything the rest of the day.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

Rain!  We FINALLY got some rain!  How awful though that others have to get clobbered by a huge storm for us to get a decent rainfall.  

And the heat wave has decided to give us reprieves at night, so we can turn off the air conditioning and keep the units from icing up due to the humidity.  Good thing all around.

Our elder Aussie is gone.  His tremors got worse, he could not hold his urine and could not eat without us holding the dish in a particular manner, and then only a little.  He was frustrated and gave up.  But we did get him to eat some of his favorite - chicken - and take a good drink of cool water.  He especially hated not being able to get outside before peeing.  He cried.  So Mary & I took him to the vet, wondering if he had a stroke.  No stroke, just advanced age and unlikely to improve.  More likely to worsen.  So vet gave him some sedation and we loved on him until he fell asleep, then the euthenasia solution.  Tears all around.  He was 16 years old - very advanced for an aussie, and we are in mourning, as are his closest doggie buddies.  His oldest friend, Snickers, would not eat for 2 days, but today had something.  The others keep looking for him. 

Mary wants another Aussie....I was hesitant, asking if we did not have enough dogs (6) but she wants one very much.  So....we will probably get another aussie.  Aussie Jack is calming down  a bit (either that or we are learning his triggers and managing them better) but either way he is improved.  He takes his pills like a champ - I dont think he even knows they are in those goodies he relishes so much!  Mama kitty and babies all doing nicely.  They look like mini-holstein cattle - black and white - but are marked quite attractively.  Some are LOUD when Mama washes them up but if I had that rough tounge on my tender parts, my gosh, I''d probably yell too!

Went to the doc, she changed my bloos pressure meds to a lower dosage - my blood pressure was running too low (I did not know there was such a thing as too low, lol).  I take my BP several times aa day and keep a chart for her - I noticed years ago that doctors love those long term blood pressure records, it helps them to see what is going on day to day, rather than guessing based on a single reading ot two at the office.  Its just one more thing in my going to bed and waking up routine, so no biggie.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear about your Aussie, Kappy!  We usually wait a month at least before introducing a new friend into the pack.  Sometimes that is not easy to do when we are missing our old friend so much, though.

You did a fantastic, loving job, to keep that dog with you for sixteen years.

• Like 3

Yeah..... :(   sorry about losing a good furry pal.  'Nother Aussie dog, huh?   My MO friend has two and loves their breed dearly.

Well it looks like being on the "bottom"  ...south side of H.Douglas..... has been fairly easy for DD2 and family.  I haven't heard yet about DD1.  She's on a WINDY edge of NW Maui.  That area showed up as high winds today.  What's left of the eye is passing sideways [parallel] north of them for the next hour(s).  DD2 had cooked a couple meals ahead so they're having Portuguese soup. 

MtRider  ....not that I'll stop checking Doppler quite yet.....  ;) 

• Like 2

Had a down day today. I am just tired. No energy at all. So nothing got done today.  I feel like I just need to go to bed. I am that tired. My thyroid is way off the charts and the meds haven't corrected the issue yet. So might just be that. I did walk around block today though while DH was laying down watching TV.  

We did get a bit of rain earlier this evening and it cooled things down a bit but tomorrow is going to be heat index of 110. So another hot day tomorrow and Tuesday. Going to try to get car in shop tomorrow and then I can get the turkey breast going. Need to get them canned and then move on to the other things in freezer.

Talked with granddaughter that lives in CA both yesterday and today. She is going to send us a bunch of cameras to put on our house so we can have more security. She works in the security field and has boxes of cameras. So guess we will be busy getting those set up. At least that will help us see what is going on outside if anything starts to happen in our area. Heaven forbid. Don't need any riots around here. Granddaughter said a few weeks ago, she went to one of the big box grocery stores and they were in parking lot at door rioting so she kept on driving and left. Said she never went back to that store. She is now staying with the mom and pop stores and the farms. i am looking to head out this week to the knot hole this week.  I heard they are now selling veggies and also has an Amish setup as well. They are like a 10 minute drive from me, so DH will be ok at home for a bit by himself. He is still on a walker and I don't leave him for long by himself. So I just put drinks, water and a snack on TV tray by bed and he stays in the bed while I am gone watching TV. Though I won't be gone more than an hour. 

• Like 2

Little Sister.....you have been going like 90 mph for a long time.  It's GOOD and right that you have a day of rest!  In fact, you might need more than our traditional one day....considering.  Take care of yourself so that you can continue taking care of your dh.  And pull in some young...and tall...help to install those cameras!  What a nice gift from your GrD!! 

MtRider  ...retired from Doppler now  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mt. Rider, you are right about going 90 miles an hour. It's not easy being a wife and a caregiver.  I feel like the taxi service, cleaning lady, pill pusher, you name it. But I love Dh just the same. We have been through a lot together over the years and with the Lord's help we will get through this as well.  I am feeling a bit better today though I am still a bit low on energy. 

Went to store this morning before the 100* weather hit.  All I can say is WOW!  Almost no can goods and what they did have, a can of store brand peaches were $1.99. That was for 1 15 oz. can. Things are getting bad. As much as I am trying to get my freezer emptied, I bought 4 packs of okra as I thought all the okra was plain. Some of it was breaded for fried okra. So I now have enough plain okra to can up. Had to buy onions as well. Tomorrow morning I have to get moving really early as I have to have car to shop by 7:30 in morning to have oil change and the transmission sensor replaced.  Then need to go by Harris Teeter to pick up RX's.  Never ending things to do. And to think DH thought I was going to put in a garden. As much as I wanted to, I just can't keep up with doctors, cleaning, laundry, bills, and everything else I have to do. I am trying to stock up as much as that small bedroom will hold and it is getting full. Don't know where I am going to put the stuff I am getting ready to can now. Thinking about putting those risers on the couches to put canned food under when Ii am done canning. 

• Like 2

Yesterday evening, I had to spray a wasp nest by front door and stick a Dr. Pepper bottle of gas in a ground hornets nest. Summer!

Did video this morning and went to local store for wasp spray and chicken for dogs. Cooked chicken and will cut up for treats in a bit. Made applesauce in slow cooker from apples that were gifted to me.

We are getting rain most of the day today and probably tomorrow, so not sure what else I'll do. Need to cut okra at some point- that's every other day. And pick figs every day.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, Jeepers said:

Give them the best life possible then let them sleep

Edited by The WE2's

Been busy on my feet for days.  Pressure canning potatoes and now zucchini.  Still have yellow squash to do.  Did some Mennonite shopping to pick up more lids (needed regular and wide mouth.  That store had a limit of two of each kind.  Also picked up some wide mouth rings.  Then went to another of our Mennonite seed stores and picked some more Tattler's.  She had the regular metal lids but they were in the really bulk sleeves...$70+ and I was out of dollars!

Also did some other shopping at regular grocery stores for some canned goods, for us and for step mum.  The only store in her town is WM, and we had to really do some shopping to find enough green beans and Yams but did get her a couple of cases.  She feeds her Yorkie beans and sweet potatoes with his chicken.  She'll just rinse and strain before she feeds it to him.  He'll get about 3 meals out of each can.  One can of each would last Abby-girl one meal! LOL

On our way home a customer called hubby.  Needs some sheetrock work done in one of his bathrooms and he has COPD and can't sand.  So hubby will get new filters for his paint mask while he's working there and will drape off the whole bathroom to prevent any dust from escaping.

Still waiting for the mechanic to call and say "have your truck brought to the shop"...we've paid the downpayment (for the engine) but he's needing to finish up some other jobs he's got in his shop.  He's an older mechanic and works by himself in his small shop.  Suits us just fine...especially the price!

Had a good rain today so won't need to water anything.  Good thing hubby did the mowing at the homestead yesterday!

• Like 4

After a couple days of not eating, our oldest chihuahua (Snickers) ate breakfast.  He was missing his long time pal.  He will probably be next to go he is almost as old.  I am researching training options for Jack.  We narrowed down his problem....he is possesive and aggressive against the shep-malnois and our ex-fight dog chihuhua.  (Of course it does not help that the chihuahua is also jealous and looks daggers at Jack every chance he gets.  Unfortunately there are a couple things he is possessive of....food (that is easy to handle) and ME (not so easy to handle).  I fear that disciplining him after an outburst results in the attention he craves, albeit negative.  So tomorrow we go back to daily obedience training practice, with an emphasis on "down", "settle", and "kennel". Im hoping that getting positive attention for good performance will result in less desire for negative attention for naughtiness.  

I have not tigured out how to get him to be quiet yet.  First we tackle the aggression, next the noise.  I really do not want to give him up, he is a good boy....MOST of the time.  So I will devise a "job" for him - going to training - hope it helps.  

The garden is suffering in this long heat wave.  We finally had a decent rain - about 1 inch - usually it misses us.  Our water bill is going thru the roof but we are determined to save the garden.  Supposedly we are getting another stimulus check...we are going to have to put in a greenhouse over our raised beds, and get a shade for the sun.    Researching our prices & options for that too.  Who says retirement is boring????? Not I!

• Like 2