MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today has been a trying day. Was thinking I would get the soup made and canned but it never happened. People just pluck my nerves sometimes. First I have been on phone back and forth with both UPS and USPS.  They sent two of my packages to the wrong house. I have a code number but seems like they are not locating my packages. Can't get in touch with either place without being on hold for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. This is just uncalled for. All this happened last Thursday and I am still trying to locate my packages. I can't get hold of the place I ordered from either.   On top of that I dropped the car off a dealership for repair. This should be a recall but either way it won't cost me. But I told them after they did the diagnastics to call me before they started the work.  Did I get that call. NO :tapfoot:.  So after several calls back to them and then getting a person after about 6 times of leaving messages for them to call me. I was hot. instead of the car being repaired today they have to order parts that will take over 2 or 3 days depending on this hurricane. So they are now saying that the parts should be in Wed. and it will take 4 to 5 hours to fix. Depending on when the parts come in for them to start it, it could be Thursday before they start to fix it. They said I could get a rental car but at my expense. Problem is they don't pick you up in the Churchland one as that is the one they use. So unless the dealership picks me up and takes me to the rental place and then follows me over to get car and to take it back that is not happening. So now I am without a car with a sick husband and a hurricane coming in. Got to love how the wheel goes round and round. :twister3:

So I have gotten nothing done much today. I am tired and my shoulder is hurting. Old Arthur is playing havic on me with this weather. Told DH I am going to bed tonight with Ben Gay. He just laughed.

• Sad 5

Sure hope you can get a car and that you two stay safe during the hurricane, @Littlesister!  

Walked first and then ran around a bit this morning.  Got 2 cases of wide mouth quarts at Walmart.  Still looking for pints.  Doing laundry now.  Will probably slice jalapenos later for Candied and canning.

• Like 2

Ack....  :pray:  for Little Sister and the vehicle...her dh....and that hurricane...  tropical storm.... hurricane.... will drop down to tropical storm again [as they expect it to do by tomorrow A.M.] ...as it hits VA Beach.  

:pray:  for LittleSister/family...Euphrasyne/family....my bro/niece.... all in VA.  Even at tropical storm, it's still a STORM with unexpected things possible.  70 mph/85 gusts....  :pray:  

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

Walked first, got Pot Roast with COM soup and homemade onion soup mix in slow cooker. Shredded some zucchini and made Healthy Zucchini Cookies which are pretty good! Sliced the rest of the Zucchini for Parmesan Crisps. Also sliced jalapenos for Cowboy Candy tomorrow. Didn't have enough zucchini to PC so just cooking today. Put some potatoes in with roast and made potato salad with the rest of a 5# bag. May make the crisps in a bit. Returning the third food processor that I bought. It broke a little clip after 4 uses. I'm going to have to wait and buy a professional grade processor next year. Will limp through with old one until then.

Still have to cut okra and slice, then pick figs and jalapenos.

• Like 1

Well, according to Doppler....H.Isaias went thru VA and beyond as a Tropical Storm....70mph winds maximum.  Still strong but thankfully less than it could have been.  And it wasn't dawdling along at 10 pmh traveling speed as they sometimes do.  It kinda zipped across VA at 25-30 mph and is now up past NYC and entering the New England states.  Not really coastal now...still capable of big gusts of wind.  So be careful if anyone is up there! 

So how are you all who were in it's path? 

MtRider :pray: 

Storm hit 415am this morning.   Power is out for 1 to 3 days they say.   We have the freezer running off a inverter from the truck/ RV.  House is fine and so are we.  Luckily water heater and stove are both gas.  Little sister if you need anything, let me know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Glad to hear from you, Euphrasyn!  :amen:     

I should have said:  70mph sustained winds....90mph gusts. 

Also...I forgot about tornadoes being spawned.  Some bad news in N.Carolina.  :( 

MtRider ..... :pray:  for the rescue and clean-up.....for those injured....for those with home/business damage....

• Like 1

Seeee Miki.  You work SO HARD that no ordinary food processor can keep up to your ambitious self!  :cheer:     Course it's reallllly irritating that they don't make a processor sturdy enough.  Yeah, industrial strength model might be the solution.  :shakinghead:  

Well....I'm STILL trying to heal up this turned-over foot from the misstep in the greenhouse on July 16th. :tapfoot:    Foot HAS made progress and then.......  :sigh:   ....WHOOOOPS...progress deleted.   Drat!  So for the past FOUR LABORIOUS DAYS I have <mostly> kept weight off that L foot.  AND it feels better....again.  It's so hard in this tiny house, not to run into things or tip over on crutches or hoist myself UP from knee-walking.  Ooooof!   My DIY "knee-scooter"  has been veering to the right......  :sigh:  .....cuz the tire is going flat.  [one of the reasons I retired this old wheelchair]   But I use all three methods to keep from over-abusing the same muscle groups.  TRYING very hard to keep OFF LEFT FOOT! 

If I get one more set-back, I'm buying a real knee-scooter!  Hmph! 

What I really need is a house big enough to use my wheelchair -cuz I'm a whiz with those!!  ......one WITHOUT RODENTS cuz they're baaaaack!  :motz_6:

MtRider  ....hope Little Sister and family is okay....?  :pray: 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Took Abby-girl to the vet for her annuals.  They wanted to put her in a large crate outside their door, with a tarp covering everything but the door.  I said...Nope!  I'll mask up and hand her leash off to you...she has on a Holt collar.  Otherwise...cancel our appointment.  They said "Oh, ok...we'll come out and put "our" slip leash on her".  THAT'S the way the ball bounces around our place!  My girl absolutely would not understand us (me..mommabear) pushing her into a crate that was really too small for her, with a collar she hates, and then walking away and leaving her until strangers came out and took her inside.  Nope...no way!  When they brought her out she looked totally bewildered, looking around for HER humans.  When I opened my door and said "There's my dog!"  She was glad to let her human pappa change leash's and bring her to me!  

• Thanks 1

The truck got towed to the mechanics garage today (after vet appt) so things are on a roll!  :cheer:

Our city just passed a "mask rule" and reads just stupid!  Can't go outside anywhere unless you can stay 6 ft. away from others. Wonder who's going to enforce it?  Wonder who will be the first to challenge it?  Guess we'll take our shopping and recreation to other cities!  We usually do any way! :24:

• Like 4

We got our power back about 24 hours later.  We ran the inverter for several hours in the middle of it and the fridge/freezers all kept a low enough temp to be fine.  It was so hot that we couldn't really sleep so DH took yesterday off and rested.  I did mostly nothing because I was exhausted.  Now my sleep schedule is off and I have been up since 2am.  Its going to be a long day.  I'm going to do some basic housework and nesting things.

I've been so preoccupied by the covid-crazy and the 'lack of distance learning' that I completely overlooked hurricane season this year.  My bad.  It is supposed to be the 2nd busiest one on record, so this weekend we are going to revisit our weather preps and plans.  

• Like 4
14 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Our city just passed a "mask rule" and reads just stupid!  Can't go outside anywhere unless you can stay 6 ft. away from others. Wonder who's going to enforce it?  Wonder who will be the first to challenge it?  Guess we'll take our shopping and recreation to other cities!  We usually do any way! :24:

We only shop where we don't have to wear masks. We gave up on Walmart and other big box stores months ago. I bet they're part of the push for masks everywhere. The small businesses were doing a brisk business because most of us avoided Walmart. When in a pinch, we order online.

• Like 3

Walked this morning and stopped at local grocery for baby carrots for dogs, so a few extra steps there.

Already have tomatoes, okra and onions simmering and dishwasher of jars going.
Going to do outside walk with dogs today and maybe take some clips off of tomato bushes so I can take them out in a couple of days.
And cut okra, pick figs.

• Like 3

We are doing ok after this hurricane.  We had power but no phone other than the cell phones,  no internet nor TV. DH watched dvd's for a few days. Just got all that back this morning around 11 am.  Car has been in shop since Sunday night and they have not worked on it claiming they can't get parts. found that out when called this morning to find out when car would be ready.  He said they tried to text me.  No they didn't. They had my cell phone and never tried. But nice try.  When mail came I had 2 letters on car that hyunadi is being sued and we are in that class action law suit. So since the dealership is claiming they haven't gotten parts in for 2 weeks now is another lie as they said the hurricane cut off power in New Jersey where they get their parts. That is another lie as the hurricane was this week, not 2 weeks ago. Came home with car not fixed and now doctor appts and surgery will be happening over the next 2 weeks. So told the guy at hyundai that since this is a warrenty issue that they will be given me a rental and then I showed them the law suit papers. They don't care. They already know Hyundai is being sued.  Told DH we may be looking to buy a new car and it will be American made. 

One part of our neighborhood is still without power. We did get lucky as ours never went out as we are on a different breaker after the tornado that went through a few years ago and took out the pumping station. That was the year we all went for over 2 weeks with no current and my daughter at that time lived in Churchland and lost water also. about 17 years ago. Tore up Driver that year. 

euphrasyne, glad to see you got through the hurricane with only a day or so without current. I know it got hot and muggy.  You might be getting this thunderstorm now. The bottom fell out here and poured down really hard. Still raining but no where near as hard right now.

I am still ticked off at post office. Will need to go down to put in a claim. My packages were left at someone else's house and they still have not bothered to pick them up and redeliver to me. I have the codes and such but they are doing nothing. So they will be getting a piece of my mind as well. Bad enough on the car. 

WE2, glad you can finally get that truck fixed.  My car is going to be a we are suing issue. So looking like a new car might be in the making and I am not happy about it. Don't want a car payment.  It took everything we had to get this one paid off in 2 years instead of the 76 years they set it up for. that was bad. We should have backed out of that deal if we weren't in need of a car right then as the van blew it's 3ed engine and I wasn't dumping money into another one.

Thank you Pauline for the info on Amazon for the pads. I have ordered one to see how it does. Though I did finally get DH's elbow to heal up for the most part. But there are always other times.  And now I have a pad for the bed just in case.  

Hope everyone effected by the hurricane are all doing ok and no damage.  Have been praying for protection for everyone that was going through this. 

Mt. Rider still keeping you in prayer for your foot to heal. I know it is frustrating not being able to get around like you want. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Mt. Rider still keeping you in prayer for your foot to heal. I know it is frustrating not being able to get around like you want. 

Thanks, Little Sister.  I'm afraid on this particular day, I'm going WAAAAAAAY beyond frustrated and into :motz_6:  Dead mouse in the closet - in a trap I forgot was in there.  Eeeew!    WORSE.... a live mouse runnning behind the breadmaker on the counter.  :yuk:  This is what Clorox wipes are for! 

DH took the flat tire off wheelchair [aka DIY knee-scooter] to village to fill with air.  That's ssome better.  The thigh muscles on my R leg....the one pushing and hoisting and lifting me while pampering the L one......  :o   ....you can SEE it's more toned up than the injured side.  Good grief!  

Ended day....sitting in bed and opened a small 12 floz of 7-up for slightly upset stomach.   It let loose like Mt Vesuvius.  Sprayed all over me...clothes soaked.  I couldn't move.  End of the day BRAIN FOG so I didn't even screw it back on quick.  Just stared at the plume of soda.........  :blink:    No way I'm getting in shower so had to sit-on-toilet-lid to clean up.  Thankfully, only a few drops on the bed which I choose to ignore at this point....nearly 1AM.

MtRider    :behindsofa:    ......I'm not even safe in bed!  Incoming 7-Up lava flow!  A Charlie Brown moment, for sure!  :buttercup:  

• Sad 7

Testing 1...2...3. Is this thing on?

I know I posted in here twice but I don't see it now. One was probably user error. Forgetting to hit the submit button.:Blushing:

Any way, E. beautiful kabobs,  E. and L. glad everyone made it safely through the storms,  W. and L. hope truck and car gets fixed quickly,  Miki, you are a little fireball,  H. If we don't wear a mask in ANY establishment we can't get in the door.  Mt.R. Hope that foot straightens up soon. Happy Birthday K.  And hi Amber and Annie. And all the lurkers and trolls, have a blessed weekend too. :hi:

That's the gist of this week's post I left floating in space somewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Got all the large tomato bushes pulled up, cages off, stakes removed and put everything away.

This morning, walked first.  

Getting ready to go out and pull up all smaller tomato plants (still 5 ft. high) and pull fence back so it can be mowed for now and in a couple of weeks tilled up for Fall garden.  Weeds on potatoes and sweets are so high, it's hard to dig and see how it is going, so will have a path, one swath wide, mowed so I can check taters. 

This afternoon will be making fire cider, okra jalapeno fritters and that's about it.

Time for this (fireball LOL) to get going before I lose ambition!  Have a good weekend!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yuk! Mt. Rider.   Sticky mess.  Take care. No more explosive 7-ups.  To much of a sticky mess.  Hope the mouse problem gets fixed soon. I know how that is. Been there, done that before.  We went through the whole house and put steel wool around every hole that a mouse could get into. Under the sinks around where the pipes come in from an outside wall under house.  It seems to have worked. Then DH sprayed a foam into the areas after pushing the steel wool further into the areas. Haven't seen a mouse since. We don't have cats any longer but our neighbor has 2 that runs the neighborhood. So that is also helping.  You need an indoor kitty. You can name it mouser. :bighug2:

• Like 4

OOTO.......hey, that's an idea.  I can get a pet black snake to be my rodent eliminator!   

:grinning-smiley-044:    .......Now y'all GOTTA know how seriously FRUSTRATED/REPULSED I am by this rodent problem to EVEN JOKE about a pet SNAKE!    ....cuz I'm with OOTO on that slither topic!!!!  :runcirclsmiley2:    A pet slither is NEVER gonna happen.  :grinning-smiley-044:     With my luck, the dumb thing would have babies!  :buttercup: 

:sigh:   Last nite DH put a glue board on the counter near where that mouse was spotted.  It DID get stuck in it but DH forgot to duct tape the glue board to the counter.  The dratted thing was able to get itself loose.  :gaah:  More Clorox wipes.....perhaps some actual bleach?  Super-ICK*ICK*ICK*ICK!

Last nite just before I shut off light to finally sleep, something 'big' and black flew at me and hit near my ear.  ACK!   Batted at it and it flew around and landed ......whew!  Only a big ole moth.  SHEEESH, go to bed already and see if that's safe from calamities big or small.   Hmph...probably wanted to lick up some 7-Up off my face.  :buttercup:  

Good news is that I'm [again] verrrrry carefully putting a little weight on L foot while using crutches to support.  I even CAREFULLY went down to the greenhouse for the first time in days.     Greenhouse is not the good news, however. 

Our greenhouse died.     :sigh:  The CO strong UV SUNSHINE and the dratted strong WIND of our valley has finally broken down the plastic and it SHREDDED during the night.  Thot we might repair it with more duct tape but.....  no.  It's ripped all the way across lengthwise.   If we get a chance without wind, DH wants to roll out more plastic from the same roll and attach that.  Might as well.  The stuff is too old and is not UV-resistant.  No use in saving it.   Use it and see how far we can go into fall weather.  We've still got beets, carrots, lots of collards, ........AND MY TOMATOES HAVE TINY TOMATOES.   See what I've been missing with this foot!  Baby cherry tomatoes:wub: 

Despite this set back, the greenhouse gardening experiment....and the wicking tub experiment ...has been fun.  We've learned and can do better next time.  So all is not lost.  I'm full of curiosity about the taters in the 2 pots and feed sacks up on our porch.  The leaves are beginning to yellow.  I'll still water but the die off means they're nearly finished.  Potatoes are like a Christmas package....what will we find?  Sure is a LOT easier than digging potatoes in this soil  dirt!  No investment but labor in these....they sprouted in my closet.

MtRider  ....still riding the choppy waters of 2020.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
On 8/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, Homesteader said:

The small businesses were doing a brisk business because most of us avoided Walmart.

Wouldn't doubt it a bit!  Unfortunately, this health nurse has got not only health board buffalo'd but every business in town scared of their shadow now!  Several business signed a petition stating they were against the "rule"...but said lots wouldn't sign for fear of retribution by the health department.  After the "meeting" (really only an announcement) several in the crowed began to chant "we will not comply".  I see a class action suite coming for our city and county officials.  Our state constitution specifically outlaws this health nurse's behavior and the board she over sees.

• Sad 4
 On 8/3/2020 at 11:12 AM, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Don't get one with the PUL backing...those slide.   We have a flat crib mattress pad cover (supposed to go under the fitted crib sheet) that worked well.  That company has since made them much thinner and the newer ones slide around.  

I can't find the site now, but there's a company that makes washable chux-type pads.  They are heavy and looked quilted.   Some hospitals use them under mothers in the days after childbirth. Think as wide as a twin bed, but not as long.  I had it bookmarked on my old computer, but I can't find it now.   They were made in the USA.

Something similar to these  https://www.northshorecare.com/incontinence-products/incontinence-bed-pads/washable-bed-pads

'=     =     =     =     =     I can recommend these;  got them when my husband was very ill and they worked well when I developed urge incontenence, until I finally gave up & used diapers.  Sticks in my craw, but nothing I can do about it, LOL.  These stay in place well and are easily washed.  I still have 3. in my sick room preps.

This is from the current dr leonard's catalog (yes it is on the internet, too) which has the best aids for various medical issues (prices are not bad either......one 10th what the insurance company wanted for a co-pay for a product nowhere as nice.)  My hubby did not like to lay on them directly so I put them under the top sheet for him, but I did not find them too uncomfortable when I tried them.  

Roll over image to zoom in
Quilted Waterproof Bed Pad

quilted-waterproof-bed-pad_22867_zoom0.jpg

Quilted Waterproof Bed Pad Quilted Waterproof Bed Pad

Quilted Waterproof Bed Pad

Twin Bed Pad (Item # 22867)
Price: $16.99

Quantity 
Full/Queen Bed Pad (Item # 22875)
Price: $22.99

Quantity 
King Bed Pad (Item # 37452)
Price: $29.99

For a DIY version, quilt a couple pieces of flannel (old sheets) over an old piece of vinyl tablecloth (fuzzy side down).  The fuzzy side of the tablecloth helps with slippage; the vinyl stops the liquids, and the flannel topping makes it more comfortble to lie upon.  Its a little hot in the summer but does work.  That came from an old book called "aids to make you able" on how to make your own mobility and other aids.  Very educational.....lots of good ideas.

Moving along.....first time Mama lost 2 of her 5 babies, do not know why.  Others are starting to open eyes and run around "their" room.  The earlier  batch are old enough (12 weeks)  to move outdoors with their mama (or give to anyone looking for a pet).  Cute little fluff balls.  The local pet shops do not accept babies from non-breeders.  too bad, ours were very popular in Wis because we socialized them well and when picked up they would purr and kiss you instead of hissing & scratching.  Their loss.  Butterscotch (occasional visitor) seems to be female; saw her drop in for a cold drink when it was 102 degrees, and almost did not recognize her because she was un-pregnant. 

Our training of Jack continues; he is doing better with his aggression issues.  Took him down to the lake today to swim with us.  One happy and tired pup!  We have been more attentive to Jack's triggers and are working to de-sensitize him on those (food, and "his space").  

We are currently struggling to put up a temporary garage - a tubular frame covered with heavy vinyl - everwhere in the yard is slanting, so we are building a level platform for a base/floor, and will bolt it down to that instead of setting on the ground.  Our gravelly clay soil breaks those cheapo augers they provide for tie downs anyway, so we figure a floor will work better.  Mary got some spray on grass/mulch for our hillside once it is up, to try to hold some of the little rain we get in the yard rather than simply running down the hill so quickly.    She made a nice burn pit from cinder blocks for paper garbage burning, and I will add a composting area this fall for compostable stuff.  Why waste it?  I'll just make a compost pail for the kitchen, and lug it out in the morning when I check the gaden to see what is ready each day.  

I guess you could say we have become accustomed to our new hotter summers; we work in the morning, take frequent breaks, and a siesta from 1300 to 1500 for both people and critters seems to work best.  Now if I could just get my arthritis to calm down in this humidity.....Im back on the cane again since it flared up.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Happy August.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3