MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

5 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

We were at 80* all day.  Now in the lower 40s.  That's not unusual.  Tomorrows low....that will be unusual.  And that Arctic Express is packing snow. It's pounding Wyoming today. 

My brother, his wife, and three dogs are stuck in SD in their travel trailer. They're on the way to their daughter's wedding in WY this coming weekend. They have all the wedding decorations, so they'd better have an alternate plan.  :0327: When bro and DH worked ND and MT installing a cell system several years ago, the local ranchers told them to be out of there by October or plan on staying for 'a piece'. They actually made it until the week before Thanksgiving. A God-sent gift.  :amen:  All the ranchers farm about 10,000 and head to FL for the winter. I wonder sometimes how the pioneers made it. A PBS documentary last year told of how many of the immigrants lived in caves underground their first winter.  :sad-smiley-012:

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

:amen:    Euphrasyne!!!  Thank you and tell your dh THANK YOU for the advice on my Kindle.  I tried it last nite and it WORKED!  It turned on again!  :hapydancsmil:  I MAY still have a battery problem but testing that.  I held down the button and the light blinked...kept holding for one minute.  It came on and has downloaded some books.  :sSig_thankyou:   "Hard Reboot" huh?

Well anyone looking at CO today can see we're getting blasted with WINTER.  Ladies....winter is not coming; for us it has arrived.  Good, get some smoke out of the air.  But electric heater running for 3 days is not going to be worth the veggies it saves....but we're doing it anyway.  :rolleyes:   Really want those tomatoes we've been waiting on for months. 

This weather this early really IS unusual.  Even up at these altitudes.  :(  I'm not sure we'll have any golden aspens this season.  Very few had turned golden yet.  This area depends on the Leaf Season to extend the summer traffic to mountain shops and restaurants.  I'm just hoping this doesn't kill the aspens.  Fully leafed in green yet.  Only two of our many had turned golden.  It IS such a delight to look at every year.  With the sun backlighting an aspen grove with the dark green pines interspersed ...gorgeous!

I keep looking out the window at swift-falling snow.  Glad for moisture but since we were 80* yesterday....kind weird for brain to comprehend.

MtRider  ....off to download free eBooks to my Kindle!  :happy0203: 

• Like 5

Every day, you guys. Every. Single. Day. We’ve had 2 days of clear air in the last four weeks. Today this is what my car looked like while sitting overnight under the carport. It’s on the windowsills even if you keep the windows closed. I had to go in to work and even with a heavy cloth mask on I still needed to rinse the bad taste out of my mouth. It seems like once one fire gets under control another one pops up. I really worry about what the long term affects will be..

9E05BA1A-B4EB-4D90-9F70-A3CF1BF881C6.jpeg

• Sad 10
On 9/5/2020 at 10:58 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I think it's a battery problem

Hubby's Kindle's battery went toes up so he went to $Tree and bought a 6' usb type cord and uses that for his Kindle.  Mine still holds a charge and we bought them at the same time.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 1:01 AM, Jeepers said:

grays and beige

Will be sanding down the fireplace bricks so the paint will adhere, and will be painting that the same color as well as the inside of the front entry doors (we have a door that opens into the living room and another that opens into the dining room (there's a covered wrap around porch). "When we're moved and have settled in a bit, I'll paint the kitchen the same color...and the cabinetry's will all be white like in the bathroom.  My living room leather loveseat is beige and our leather recliners are black.  We'll replace the recliners later in beige.  Leather is expensive so that will have to wait! LOL 

• Like 4

Spent Monday vacuum sealing Granola and Raisins in half gallon jars.  Down to my last 2 cases of half gallon jars so I'll be vacuum sealing my coffee beans in quarts...have plenty of them.

We went shopping Tuesday...I called it my "winter garden haul"! LOL  WM had green beans, corn, mixed veggies etc., for 50 cents a can so bought a case of each.  Picked up two cases of Parent's Choice baby wipes, a bag of Vista paper towels (I love them for making personal wipes in an emergency) and a case of heavy duty tp.  I pay the extra because it takes less...so it's actually cheaper in my opinion.  Also a couple cases of Diet Dr. Thunder.  

Today was "misty" hubby couldn't cut plywood for the sub-flooring (no room in the garage yet) so while I cut back my Thyme, Garlic Chives and some of the mint in the half rounds, hubby dug out nearly all of the overgrown Lambs Quarter.  I didn't get to use as much of it as usual this year, and didn't pressure can any of it either.  Put a load of clothes in the dryer at the homestead while we were working outside...nice and cool...and the tiny mist didn't bother us a bit. 

Abby-girl had a ball running around in the garden area and around the half rounds and the containers!  Then laid down and watched us work! LOL

Tomorrow we'll probably load the trailer with as much of the brush etc., as we can and take it to our city recyclers.  

Hubby's got a knot just below his right knee so it's probably bursitis (?) so he didn't need to be on his knees laying sub flooring anyway.  Gave him some Arnica gel to rub onto his knee area and then a cold pack with his leg elevated for awhile before we went to the homestead.  He wore his heavy duty knee brace when we went to work in the garden area.

Supper was a "get rid of the stuff you bought that you don't like"...ugh!  But...it's gone and we won't buy it again...candied carrots, instant potatoes with cauliflower and broccoli and cheese....yuck! Glad we only bought a couple! 

• Like 4

I forgot to say....cuz lately I'm just on here quick and then off to do other stuff...thanks the rest of you for suggestions for my not-turning-on Kindle.  I'd already done all that like holding to the count of 10 and such.  It just wasn't coming on at all - white screen only.  The Hard Reset finally coaxed the button to flash.  :o  Then I counted off a full minute.  Then it opened like normal.  I'm so relieved not to have to send it in somewhere.  So far, the battery is holding normally too.  And some other malfunctions like not loading ebooks until it's turned off and then on.....all that disappeared.  Still finishing my paper book right now tho.  :lol:  

So....our area was 80* on Monday.  Snowed all day Tuesday at 30* and snowed all night at 20*.  Saw the sun a couple times but snowed for most of the morning today at 32*.  Finally stopped snowing but we didn't have the sun come out all afternoon.  DH saw 40* briefly. 

Gooood news:  The gravel road and our gravel long driveway was melted this morning.  Hate to pay for snowplowing on 9/9!!  But we do have the furnace on.....couldn't stay warm so we moved all the stuff that migrates toward the pellet stove during summer.  :rolleyes:   DH started that up and now it's warm.  Those of us out in the ARID West are not used to cold and HUMID.  Brrrrr  :frozen:   Garden in containers is fine....tho I had to use a broom to knock the snow/ice/melt water out of the sagging plastic cover. 

The Tomato Challenge:  :o   One of DH's beefsteak tomato is turning ORANGE!  I had to have a pep talk with my multitude of GREEN cherry tomatoes.  This is a contest, and so far we aren't winning.  ;)   Actually the contest is most quantity of tomato product.  Not just a race for first edible product.  But still.....   I'm kinda thinking of how we could move them into the basement under lights.  It would be cheaper to run lights than to run that electric heater!!!  Experimental year!

AND ....thank YOU, God!  My foot has been doing really well.  DH had to adjust the arch back into place this afternoon.  But it's holding much better.  I've been on it a lot the past few days without any complaints from it.  :amen: 

I THINK the aspens...at least many....might be okay.  I felt the leaf of the nearest one and it felt like a normal green leaf.  :shrug:  20* is a hard freeze so.....  I'm hoping. 

MtRider  :santa:  

• Like 5

Yeah, WE2.  We all have to work around body parts that need a break.  You sound like you both work so hard. 

Dogmom.....I can I relate.  But for you, this has been so long!  :(   Do you have a good mask to keep out those itty bitty soot/ash particles?  I would just be so nervous....I WAS so nervous on Monday!  I know it doesn't take much for me to set off bronchitis and coughing.   Praying for you and yours and your community/state.  :hug3:

Did you all see that dramatic rescue of campers from the new CA fire  [so many I'm not keeping the names straight].  Those helicopter crews risked terrible flying conditions, time after time to haul out over 200 people.  And...eventually people with dogs.  That fire came up so fast and is huge in just a few days...  :(   Bet they have to completely overhaul those choppers!  Get the grit out!

Do you know if the grit will affect your vehicles, Dogmom?  For sure you can't use windshield wipers.  Douse with water first.  Our snow did indeed dampen the fires here.  For up to 7 days, they expect better chance to battle....then we warm up and moisture evaporates.  But at least a break for a bit.

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I wondered about ash damage to vehicles too. Is the ash acidic? Can't be good for the engine either. If that much is on a car under a carport, I can't imagine a car that sits out all the time. Like apartments or while people are at work.  :(

• Like 3

I went to the grocery store yesterday.  No parsnips, very little celery, very few carrots, just a slim selection of veggies overall.

Luckily, the one I stopped in at on my way to work this morning had parsnips and celery.

I picked up a package of turmeric, going to rinse it as soon as I get home tonight and freeze it.  Almost all of the packages had mold growing in them - I picked one of the few that didn't.  

Luckily, it's cool enough today that I can leave veggies in my car without cooking them.

The news was pointing out that it was cooler here than in Anchorage this morning.

• Like 3

Walked first and then went to Dollar General and Walmart for a few needed fresh items. Donated some of those jars with handles that lids won't fit on, so I can't use them to can with.
Now home and will clean bathrooms, strain my new batch of fire cider and replace the old one in fridge.
Then cook cabbage, turkey sausage and onions. Then hard boil some eggs for me and scramble some for DH. Apparently, before any of that, I need to walk dogs. I am being begged!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dogmom that is one big mess on your car.  And it being under a carport as well. I hope it will come clean again. These fires are really bad. I haven't seen anything on the news about the ones in CO. But the ones in CA they have been showing and it is not good. So many homes lost, not to mention the animals. All those people that are now displaced is going to be very hard on them. 

Haven't been on here in a few days, so trying to read some of the post while DH is napping.  Seems the heart rehab is giving him a hard workout.  Though he said his muscles are not sore but just tired.  He has a hard time getting up those 4 steps to come into the house now. But that is just from the workout. I do manage to get him into the house though. We just take it slow and one step at a time, then stand there and rest before the next step. Though I do have to lift that left foot up at the last step for him. 

I am still working on the 2 rooms that I tore apart to clean. The 2 shelving units have been a godsend. They have worked out really well and made things so much easier.  I am going through the last bit of papers and things that are always the hardest trying to decide what to keep and what to throw out. The small bedroom is almost done. Just a few things on the bed to put away and then get bed made up. Still a little ways to go on the office though. But in much better shape. 

I have my daughter looking out for canning jars and lids for me. I also have tattler lids on back order as well as wide mouth pint jars.  I hope I can get them. 

Went early this morning and got hair cut for first time in a year. She wanted to layer it, but I said no. She cut 3 inches off of it. Then I stopped at market and got breakfast and bought it home for DH and I.  Then went out and washed car for first time in 8 months. It really needed it. Got 2 of my under the bed plastic bins out of attic and cleaned them up. Going to put all the baby wipes and things in them and slide them under bed for storage so I can clear up some much needed closet space. They have wheels on them, so will be real easy to pull out when I need something. 

My granddaughter said they have changed the wedding date to January 18th. They had to change where they were going to get married at. So instead of in York Town it will be in Hampton. I just hope that DH will be able to go. He still can't wear anything around his waist that is tight like jeans. Only the pull on type pants because his stomach still swells up and it hurts him to have anything tight around his waist. So being formal is going to be a challenge. And I have to go buy a dress. I have no idea where I will go to look for one yet. I hate clothes shopping. As soon as I can finish getting things put away and getting rid of what I really don't need, I am going to start back canning from the freezer again. Want to can some beans and make some more soups for this winter. I might get some more potatoes to can as well. Need to check my inventory on that first.  

Mt. Rider I am glad to hear your foot is doing much better. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I am going through the last bit of papers and things that are always the hardest trying to decide what to keep and what to throw out.

Boy, isn't that the truth!

4 hours ago, Littlesister said:

He still can't wear anything around his waist that is tight like jeans. Only the pull on type pants because his stomach still swells up and it hurts him to have anything tight around his waist. So being formal is going to be a challenge

Get dress pants big enough and then use suspenders.  My DH loves suspenders and it's covered under a coat/jacket/vest/sweater.  They can be worn between an undershirt and the dress shirt but tucking in is more difficult.  DH has a server's waist apron so untucked shirt doesn't show.  Bring your GrDaughter to dress shop with you!!  You went with her.

Sunshine today but only up to 50* for a bit.  DH went grocery shopping for us/folks.  Found dish soap my mom favors.  Yay!  Other things not there...Lysol products, sanitizing wipes, etc.  Didn't find the oven cleaning spray....but things come and go.  Got everything washed/wiped/put away.  Fresh veggies are plentiful.

DH got some lab results back already...only gave blood today.  Cholesterol is DOWN!  :amen:  He was SO high.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

We’ve been told that the ash is acidic....so not to rinse it into the drains (Sweep and toss) so it doesn’t mess with the water systems. Also, being told to empty outside animal water bowls and bird baths. I’d already been doing that every day because the water is turning green and gross really fast. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Littlesister, I've seen, online or catalogs, men's pants that have an elastic waste band in the back and sides but the front looks like they have a button and a fly. I don't know where I've seen them. Wasn't really paying attention. I have some shorts like that. Fake front and elastic sides/back. They look sort of dressy. No belt loops on mine though.

• Like 2

I was afraid it might be acidic. I've lived on a Great Lake for so long that I forget about water problems in other parts of the country. Our water supply comes from Lake Erie so water issues aren't talked about much up here. I was going to suggest taking it to a do-it-yourself car wash and hosing it down. At ours I can soap it up, rinse it off and spray a coat of wax on it for $5.00. $4.00 if i hurry.

Wish I had enough confidence to  use the auto wash but I'm afraid of that alley you have to line your tire in. I'm afraid I'll miss and tear something up. A lot of them up here don't always have an attendant on duty. I could be stuck in that rut for days before some one found me. I cringe at oil changes too. Afraid I'll end up with half of the Jeep down in the man pit.  :sigh:

• Like 1

Spent most of the afternoon at step mums.  She invited us down for fish...Walleye.  She also fixed a potato salad and big biscuits...brownies with ice cream for dessert.  Had a wonderful visit and fellowship about our Lord.  Sent us home with some extra potato salad and brownies so we basically snacked for a late supper.

Rain was off and on most of the day but that is sort of fitting for 9/11 in our opinion.  I still get angry...and I still cry.

Hubby's knee is pretty much back to what it was before.  The Arnica gel and rest seemed to do the trick.  He's always had a bump there, so that's a relief.  He'll just have to be more careful about wearing his knee braces.  Dontcha just hate it when your body says "enough!" but your brain doesn't?!

Anyway...he can't cut wood/plywood when it's raining anyway.  Right now there's no room in the garage and he doesn't need electrical cords running across the ground, even if he worked under our EZup tent.

Basically just a lazy day for us...but he did take Abby-girl for a walk since she stayed home...worked off the cabin fever! LOL

• Like 2

In the category of "Don't do that, that hurts," hubby played kickball in the sandals that you slide your feet into last night (the ones that just have a strap across the top).  Managed to strain his calf.  He's now using a rolling chair from the kitchen table to get around the house.  If it doesn't improve pretty soon, he'll have to go to the doctor.

• Sad 3