MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today.....  :0327:  

Toooooo much happening this past week.  :( even postponed my mom's Bday.  GOT to rest some before we could pull off a simple eating-take-out-in-park.  :yar:   Hated to do that but she knew it might happen.  Can hear the fatigue in my voice over the phone.  :sigh:  

DH went to his doc appt and doc was VERY pleased.  In the past year they've been stabilizing his numbers on several issues.  All are normal or getting there.  :amen:  :sSig_thankyou:  :amen:     He can come back in 6 months instead of every 3 months! 

Nephew and family made it home with old trailer....stopping to do 2 of his 3 job contracts on the way.  3rd wasn't ready for him yet.  They did have one of the 4 tires blow out.  There are two together on each side so didn't cause a terrible sway to one side.  He had it replaced with the spare...[which I fortunately showed him...inside the saddle compartment]...in 10 minutes.  Since he's in his travel work truck, he had a big powerful jack.  So they're home/tired/happy to have trailer.  Keeping 2 barrels of animal feed in the trailer...when empty, haul it back to the neighbor for a refill.  He's super delighted about that use.  Good, our godson got to inherit something useful.  :) 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 6

Pulled the freezer burned steaks out of MIL’s freezer, defrosted, and seasoned, let sit, pulled the potato from her frig,  so bad, it was soft, when I bent it in half, it was rotted, 100%. Yikes.  We ended up sharing the big new one I got, when we got her groceries. Thankfully everything I bring is vacuum sealed into 1-2 tbs of food & most doesn’t go to waist.  :pray:

Storm loved the freezer burned bbq’ed cut-offs, with the fat, and has been extremely well behaved.  :amen:  Borking, talking with the neighbors dogs...Lol

• Like 5

Just between us, Mr. We2 would have a fit if he knew some of the things Miss Abby girl has already written to Aunt Jeepers. Scandalous I tell ya. Oh, the things that pup has seen and heard.  :24:

I had a snow blower where the cord would occasionally pull out of my hand. That hurts and is scary. Felt like it was going to pull my arm out of the socket. You are pulling with all of your might then suddenly it pulls back just as hard. It didn't do it every time which really added to the suspense. 

Mt. Rider glad your foot is continuing to improve. It's been out of whack too long now.  :hug3:

Wow Ambergris, you got a miracle phone call. Pffft, I can't get my doctor's office to stop calling me. I stopped answering their calls. I let the answering machine get it. I know I'm over due for med refills/blood work but my pharmacy keeps refilling my meds and until they stop (I told them twice already) I'm not going in. They have got all of my meds staggered out so badly I never know when they are due or which ones I'm getting. Before my dr retired in July, they never hounded me like this. I think they are afraid I'm going to quit them. Now they are starting in on a mammogram. I'm due but not over due. Crimony. 

I've done nothing but sleep lately. The migraines are easing up so hopefully I can stay awake and get some things done. I have a regular to-do list a mile long. Wal-Mart closing at 8:30 doesn't help matters. It's been a real game changer for us night owls. Might have to wait until Monday now. I don't like to shop on weekends because of...people.

• Like 4

Our company from FL is still here and proving invaluable! Changed oil in my jeep and did lube job for axles and whatever else is down there. Going to get a breaker box today to hook up electric to our 30 x 40 concrete block shed out back. I may get a canning kitchen yet!

Will probably do video this morning and then go to Dollar General for red hots to make cinnamon apple rings--was gifted more apples. And local grocery for sweet potatoes for dog treats.
I baked and prepped all butternut squash from the garden to PC yesterday. Might make some Butternut squash butter--like apple butter.
Also, making chicken parmesan for DH and company--I am having a big salad today- like a Bic Mac but no bun- and big!

I did get the garden weeded yesterday but will wait for it to dry so I can pick more grass clumps out. And on that note, I believe we will get more rain out of this new tropical storm hitting TX than the one that hit us more directly!

• Like 3

The girls are coming by today.  The lesson for the day is old fashioned pound cake.  We didn't get around to it last time.  Four ingredients, although we may cheat and add a bit of vanilla or a spice mix.   The housemate's afternoon/evening energy is daunting, but she sleeps through the morning when I am at my peak.

• Like 4

Went shopping today for some canned pumpkin (the real stuff)...can't believe the price...but went ahead and bought a dozen cans for our pantry and six cans for step mum.  We enjoy pumpkin muffins, especially during the holidays.  Rather have them with ice cream than any pies.

Tomorrow hubby will use my small mower to get the mowing done in the garden area.  It's really tall so he'll have to raise the deck and take smaller swatches.  It just doesn't have the horsepower to do tall and heavy grass.

I'll be doing some more preservation work.  Need to re-package two 5# bags of potato shreds and a bag fries as well as some fish fillets.  Also picked up some more yogurt.  Will take it all to the homestead tomorrow afternoon.  Son also gave us a bag and some extra's of onions so I'll drag out the Vidalia onion chopper and get those vacuum sealed and ready for the freezer.  We love shredded potatoes with onions and bell peppers with our breakfast meal.

Monday is pretty much here and hubby will start his part time job.  Going to be a BIG difference for us!  We're used to me getting up at 7 and having my morning coffee, and hubby getting up at 8 to read while I fix breakfast.  We're not used to getting out of the house before 11:00! :)  But having extra income will be a good motivation!

• Like 5
12 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Sweet potatoes here are sky high and forget about finding any canned ones ... they all have sugar which we won't eat and won't feed to Abby-girl if we needed to.

Harvest time here.  Within a month there will be fellas with the back of their pickups filled with 50# bags.  I may get more just to keep for making dog treats.

Today, will do video shortly, then feed dogs and then Church. Make sweet potato treats and cut up cheese for dog treats. Make big salad for myself and try to rest a bit. If it isn't raining, I might weed a little in Fall garden.  Maybe.  I need to rest!

• Like 5

Speaking of sweet potatoes...we just tried eating the cooked leaves for lunch and we all like them. Has anyone tried them? We need to cut the tops off before frost so we decided to freeze some.

Today we are harvesting nearly everything in our gardens--tomatoes, okra, basil, cucumbers, beans, ground cherries. Everything that would be killed by frost. The forecast for last night was for a low of 38 but we had 34. We are always a little lower. Monday night forecast is for 37 so.....:(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I never even thought about the sweet potato leaves.:groooansmileyf: Next time!  Good idea to think outside the box!

Got most everything done this morning except Church and weeding. Just needed a little time.

I did make Spiced apple rings and holy cow! that did not go well or fast! My apple peeler corer doesn't peel well, but it cores and slices ok. One of the jars broke in the water bath. It was just extra syrup. Having to peel by hand was no fun so I think I need to find something else to do with gifted apples. Already have lots of applesauce and apple butter. Might make apple pie filling next time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm so tired of messing with food.  Without doing gluten and nightshades, it greatly reduces my options.  If I add in the fact that hubby won't eat beans, squash, or sweet potatoes, it REALLY reduces my options.  How the heck am I supposed to build up a food stash when I can't even figure out what to feed us on a daily basis half the time?  I mean, I'll stock up on things we can all eat, but mac & cheese and chicken Alfredo is only going to go so far.

• Sad 7

Home safely.  Amen!

Storm actually said “Home!” The first time I put his collar & leash on him, then, last night as we were going to bed, he cuddled up, before getting on his bed, and whispered “Home?” to me. Then, this morning as I was loading the vehicle, he was excited, went to MIL & snuggled her, kisses and giving her loving, as I packed up & got everything packed in the van.  So very sweet. She almost cried how affectionate he was to her, saying bye.  

Tired, road weary and arthritis kicked me severely in my hands, wrists & back.  :sigh:  Such is life...  Yup, getting old is NOT for sissies.  :008Laughing:

• Like 5

I eat sweet potato greens all the time.  You plant a patch in soil that's too rich, and that's what you get: perennial leaves.  Treat them like spinach.  Try a nice wilted spinach and bacon salad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We have a sleeping porch.  Wow, clearing the old people's stuff (and my stuff) out of that was a job.  Not just the area where I was keeping the chicks, either.  Found a plastic dresser, for example, with moldering quilting scraps that mice or something had been nesting in ... and yuck.  I had to keep coming inside to hide from the housemate.  She has a lot of energy and a sharp tongue.  The girls adore her, though.  Go figure.  We hired a guy to come Tuesday to pressure wash the floor and make a dump run.  The girls and I made a pound cake, which turned out okay, and I printed out horse skeletons for their drawing practice.  Their mom came to pick them up and just flat out fell asleep on the couch.  It feels kind of nice to have a house where people feel safe enough to fall asleep.

The weather has turned already. It's cooler outside than in, and all the windows are open.  I've never seen a September this cool in Florida.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

Ann, glad you are home safe.  

TheCG, I know how you feel about trying to fix and store up food for picky eaters..  I am finding that DH is not eating like he once was and things are tasting different to him now. I am having a problem trying to figure out what he will eat now.  But I am also dealing with his swallowing issues as well. He gets choked easy and has to be careful.  He had one bad choking spell the other day. And when I say bad, I mean really bad. Took 2 hours before I could get him straight again. He choked on chicken. So Don't know how I will do meat now as this is going to be an issue with him eating meat.  Might be grinding it up like baby food before long. 

I have a little time to spare before taking DH to rehab.   I planted sweet potatoes from a potato that had sprouted and it hasn't even bloomed yet. I planted it near end of July which was the wrong time.  Though it is going all over the place. Wonder if I could eat those leaves?  Never ate sweet potato leaves before. 

I am going to get ready to plant some garlic this week if it doesn't rain before I can get to it. Thinking of going to market to check price of sweet potatoes. Last year they were $28.00 a bushel. This year I am not sure. But thinking the price will have gone up.  Need to get some other things as well for canning and dehydrating as well.  I dehydrated a lot of frozen mixed veggies several months ago and going to use some of them for my beef soup I need to make more of.  Will need to make more tomato soup as well.  With cold weather coming on, I need to get a few more jars of winter foods such as soups and chile canned up.  Hoping to have the freezer emptied by early spring next year. We will be eating what's left in there all winter since canning jars are short supply and we will be doing a garden for sure next year.  

Need to go to store this afternoon to buy onions and regular potatoes. Going to price the sweet potatoes there but not buying those yet. Also going to check on the cans of pumpkin if they have any.  If so, I will buy some depending on price as I haven't checked around for the prices on that yet.

• Like 3

Already walked, fed dogs, walked dogs. Started laundry, picked up a walking lily from a friend, still need to hard boil eggs. Called for copy of labs to pick up tomorrow and called for info to renew passport. Going to try to be slower today in activities.

• Like 1

Well THAT'S a surprising ending to the missing hen story!  Congrats on babies!  :lol:  Will the rooster keep them safe or do you have to contain the family?

Hope to go out with my mom for her Bday tomorrow.  I'm rested and feeling better finally.  Weather is possible rain.  If no lightning, we don't care.  Picnic at the park pavilion.    We'll see. 

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 3
On 9/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, TheCG said:

I'm so tired of messing with food.  Without doing gluten and nightshades, it greatly reduces my options.  If I add in the fact that hubby won't eat beans, squash, or sweet potatoes, it REALLY reduces my options.  How the heck am I supposed to build up a food stash when I can't even figure out what to feed us on a daily basis half the time?  I mean, I'll stock up on things we can all eat, but mac & cheese and chicken Alfredo is only going to go so far.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I empathize. Going off gluten, onions, garlic and all alliums, peanut butter took all the fun out of church potlucks. You will eventually get it figured out but it's a journey for sure.

• Like 3

I was up at 3 again this morning. Our company has 2 cats which are confined to their bedroom-DH's room- and I don't believe they are emptying and cleaning the litter box as often as they say. I can smell it from outside the door. Any thoughts as to what enzyme cleaner I may need after they leave?

I will walk first-when it gets light, feed dogs and then stop at doc's office to pick up printed lab work, go to Kroger, and then to Walgreens for passport photo. Updating as old one expired a few years ago.

When I get home, I will take eBay phots and make rice for dogs, also cook sausage to add to some soup I had frozen. DH has a doc appt. later but I think I will stay home--maybe.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Daylily said:

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I empathize. Going off gluten, onions, garlic and all alliums, peanut butter took all the fun out of church potlucks. You will eventually get it figured out but it's a journey for sure.

If it turns out I have to cut out alliums or dairy, I think I'm giving up on feeding everybody else at that point and just buying them flats of ramen and mac & cheese.. 

• Sad 3