MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Not a snood. It looks like a headband that is wider at the bottom and sort of tapers up at the top. I can't post a picture because I'm on Kindle and I can't figure it out. But I think it's called a head wrap. If you put yoga head wrap in Wal-Mart's search bar they come up. I didn't know they came in a multi pack. Think I'll order a pack of them. I'll see if Amazon prices are cheaper but six for $15.00 isn't too bad. They keep my shoulder length hair up inside the band in the back so I can apply meds to my neck. 

I remember my mom wearing a snood to bed after she would pin curl her hair. Some times she would put toilet paper in the inside around her face to protect it from the elastic. This was back in the 1950's.

• Like 3

A headwrap scarf is what I've always called them.  Easier to find in the ethnic sections and I love them.  I had some hair issues after my GI surgery a few years back and lived in them for quite some time.  

• Like 3

I found some nicer cheaper ones on Amazon and added $1.49 to my digital account for delayed shipping. They will still arrive on the 13 th. 

Other than keeping the hair off of my neck, I think they will be good for food prepping to keep hair away from food. I see a lot of canning videos with women's hair hanging over the food. Nice for the camera but maybe not so nice for the one eating the food. It might just be me though because I have thick hair and it tends to fall out. I shed like an old dog especially in the spring and fall. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DNB3818/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_image_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday- Went to Salvation Army senior sale and other thrift shops. Tractor Supply for hard dog food, Lowes to see about a small chest freezer--too high.

Went to a different vet to see about rabies shots. She will give 3 year where our local vet says "it isn't their policy to do that". Will save us some money!

Had an electrician friend come over and found out that my electric range is shot. Circuit board is high price.
Walked today and then went and bought a new range at Sears. It was on sale and no interest for 12 months. You know I will have it paid off before then. It won't be here until the end of the month. Electrician will address power issues before it gets here, I hope. House was built in the 60's.

Company moved to their new place last night, mostly. I washed sheets in guest room today. Haven't done much else.

Guess I will go to Church this evening.

• Like 2

Today did some much needed work outside. It was a cooler day. So instead of doing the dusting and other things I had planned to do inside. I went outside after getting DH settled and cleaned the patio door down and washed siding and guttering down over back of house. The house is brick, so it was just the siding over the top of windows all the way across the house. Not done yet but at least it was a start. 

Miki, you are so blessed to be able to go to church.  Where we are very few churches have been allowed to open. I think some of them are just doing it despite what our governor says.  I really wish ours was one of them. We can go on Sunday morning and we sit in our cars and lesson to the service through our radios with blue tooth.  Though this winter that might be a bit to cold for that and hoping they can get the church opened again. 

Jeepers, I ordered those from Amazon.  I think they would work for my to long hair. It is down to middle of my back now. And I had 3 inches cut off of it a while back. It does grow fast. 

• Like 3

If it doesn't hold your hair up just clip it up then put the wrap over the whole thing. They might even be used to cover the ears in the winter.

I had 14 inches cut off as soon as the salons opened back up after the covid closures. It's still just past my shoulders. Mine grows fast too.  Locks Of Love got it. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Thinks for the advice on those Jeepers. I do need to get another hair cut before they decide to shut everything down again. That clown of a governor we have here will do it and he has said as much.  So need to get some things in order just in case. 

• Like 2

I should go get a trim too. I got busy with other things and kept putting it off. Then they closed down and I had to wait about 2-3 months to get it cut off. Drove me crazy-er. I just go to the Best Cuts type of place. If they mess it up it grows back. I'm not picky. 

I placed an order with Harmony House this morning. I got an email this afternoon saying that it has already shipped. Free shipping with orders over $100.00. That's easy to do there. It comes from North Carolina. Estimated arrival date is Saturday. Not bad. 

I need another pair of shoes really bad. I don't want to go try them on but I know what I want. I get the same ones year after year. Probably a decade. I've had them on my Amazon wish list  for over two weeks. I don't want to pay $10.00 shipping for a pair of tennis shoes. 

So I went hunting online. I found a place that didn't look too sleezy. I took a chance and ordered a pair. They were $10.00 cheaper than Amazon and with free shipping. And for some reason unknown to me, they didn't charge me any sales tax. It's from Tennessee and they do tax clothing. So, I bought two pair. Free shipping and no tax I couldn't resist. I saved $20.00 plus tax on each pair so I'm happy. They last me over a year so I'm good now for shoes for a good while. They also sent a 20% off coupon on any discontinued item. If the shoes pan out I might use it. 

• Like 3

today was a wonderful day.  got to my church, went to confession, took communion....I am high risk so I have to watch on live stream on Sundays.  I hate it.  Cant sing in the choir anymore, no nothing.  So being able to do a few church things was a real delight!!  There are times when this covid situation bugs me, and no church is one of them.  Dont mind the social distancing & not going anywhere because I tend to be a hermit anyway.  Our stock reply when someone asks how M and i are doing, is "we are doing fine, staying home, tending the garden and animals..."  So I guess you could say I did spiritual preps today.

Went to my semi annual cancer check up....the doc says my blood work is phenomenally good, no "cancer markers' and such stuff.  She always asks if I am still eating fresh from the garden daily, and when I say "of course, that is what its for" she chuckles. 

Am I a hopeless rube?  Dont know, dont care.  I wear comfortable clothes, even if they are hopelessly outdated.  My kitchen is 1050s retro.  I prefer hand tools to power tools.  I prefer to watch the old TV rerun channels rather than the new (and to me banal, stupid and sometimes offensive) new television programs.   

I have been messing with phone telemarketers, switching to another language when I answer those magic phone numbers that you cant call back.  It makes them hang up in a hurry.  Spanish they could probably handle, just turn it over to another person, but French or German messes with them.  I also like to fill out intrusive and un-asked for surveys with wierd answers....I especially like to tell them I am a quadraplegic recluse...with a six digit income...who speaks mandarin chinese as my primary language.   (So far I have never seen a law that requires you to tell the truth on those surveys, just on the census or court paperwork.)   Isnt it odd what amuses us old folks?   Might as well have a little fun before they get around to taxing or outlawing it.  On the plus side, I get some highly interesting junk mail after do that.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We have locked outrfreezers ot in the car port, and we have been carring our "little friends" for some time now.  We piked up some small game cameras and have set them up so we can tweak their placement & aim to how we want it.  We want all in readiness by election day, just in case.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

STILL trying to get out with my mom...... ...maybe tomorrow?  :sigh:   

Foot is good but being careful.  Breathing is clogged with DUST/SMOKE tho I stay inside or wear N95.  Sleep is rough so waking up with low functioning.  Takes hours to get it back to my normal. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Sad 2
6 hours ago, kappydell said:

On the plus side, I get some highly interesting junk mail after do that.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I like to fill out things with interesting answers also.  I get a LOT of junk mail for Ms. Nunja Bidnez.  The AARP in particular sends her things weekly.  

• Haha 4

I got seven (7) phone calls yesterday. All from a different number telling me my Amazon account has been hacked and $630.13 has been taken out. I need to call them right away to cancel the charge or I will be responsible for it. Sure. First off I don't have an Amazon money account. I'm not even sure what it is. I assume it's an account you set up and put money in so you can spend from that instead of using a credit card. I don't know. 

I will say they are getting a little bit smarter. Now the recordings are using an American voice instead of an Indian or Nigerian voice. 

I saw someplace where they have a box thing you can put on your home phone that will automatically block calls that say 'number unavailable' or whatever they say. It comes with hundreds of numbers already loaded in and you can add some more manually. I think it was around $100.00. Whoa. I was thinking I might spend $19.99 for one. I get a ridiculous amount of spam calls. My question is this, if they already know of these numbers that are already keyed into the device, then why hasn't the FCC (I think that's the right org.) already banned those numbers? Government agency not doing their job? Surely not. 

I'm grumpy because I have a lousy answering machine. If it takes one missed call then all of the next calls coming in go to the answering machine until I reset it. It's downstairs and I'm usually upstairs. And it beeps every 10 seconds telling me I have a missed call. :gaah:

Political calls have started rolling in too. 

• Sad 2

Good morning!
Yesterday, after walking, feeding dogs and walking them, I went to thrift stores and found a few things to sell, and to local grocery for sale items. Took the produce manager a jar of mango jalapeno jam as he sold me the mangoes cheap.
This morning, it is raining so I will walk a little later (between rain bands).
Going to feed dogs in a few minutes and then clean baths, dust house and sweep. Then walk!
Also will saute up some bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, mushrooms and garlic to go in scrambled eggs. That's about it!

• Like 2

I dropped off a load at the Salvation Army today. They have huge boxes labeled and set up outside in the parking lot where you can drop your items in without going inside. 

Salvation Army is right in front of Wal-Mart so I went in to nose around. This Wal-Mart is bigger than the one I went to the other day. The food aisles weren't too bad. Some empty shelves but not horrible. Canned peas seem to be in short supply. Also canned carrots. BTW, if you are looking for the Knorr sides to store away, they are in two different places. Over by the hamburger helper stuff and over by the beans and rice. There seemed to be a fairly good supply of beans and rice at that Wal-Mart. No vanilla coke yet. Or Jell-O. Or my brussel sprouts. 

Plenty of laundry stuff and dish washing liquid. But the cleaning supplies and bleach shelves were totally empty. They had a sign saying "One per customer" but there wasn't even one to be had. Toilet paper was very low except for Cottonell. They had about five skids of that sitting in a main aisle. Tons of Cottonell. Also quite a bit of paper towels. Even the Bounty single sheets. No bleach in the cleaning aisle but they did have some back in hardware where they janitorial mops and buckets are. 

The bath towels and wash cloth aisle was nearly empty! It was a pitiful sight. The 'bed in a bag' items were nearly sold out too. Only a couple in each size. I panicked a little at that sight and bought an extra blanket. I would have also bought a comforter but they didn't have any. So, bath and bed linen was nearly gone. Their storage box aisle looked like the other Wal-Mart I was at. Empty. Only a few shoebox size left. Wonder what people are storing away? The purse aisle was almost empty too. 

A friend mentioned she is in the market for a new laptop. So I went over and looked at them. They had about thirty on display. All but two were sold out. An Acer and a Lovato. And maybe a notebook. I told her to try Best Buy or online.

Oh and paint is in short supply there too. And the light fixtures I bought a month ago are no more. Only a couple of lights left. Glad I got all three while they had them. Nothing fancy. Just $14.94 hall lights. Wish I would have checked out the printers. Mine is about caput. I'd like to get one that uses the same ink as this one because I have a lot of it. Mostly black. 

That's about all I can remember. I was mainly just roaming around since I was right there.

Oh, I almost forgot. They had about four water bath canners and three Presto pressure canners. They were the ones without the gauge. Just the weight. I didn't price them. Of course no jars or lids. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

The bath towels and wash cloth aisle was nearly empty! It was a pitiful sight. The 'bed in a bag' items were nearly sold out too. Only a couple in each size. I panicked a little at that sight and bought an extra blanket. I would have also bought a comforter but they didn't have

Most, if not all, of the bedding at WM and other stores is from China.   Maybe that's why. And,  I think most people aren't usually homebodies, and after being forced to spend so much time at home, are putting $ into their homes, be it remodeling, painting, new bedding, new furniture, ect.   I heard that there's a desk shortage now, too  (people working from home, kids schooling from home).

I kept wanting to have DH buy more printer ink, but kept forgetting to write the ink cartridge # on the list.   Finally remembered to last week.   Well, we can add printer ink to the shortage list.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I got seven (7) phone calls yesterday. All from a different number telling me my Amazon account has been hacked and $630.13 has been taken out. I need to call them right away to cancel the charge or I will be responsible for it. Sure. First off I don't have an Amazon money account. I'm not even sure what it is. I assume it's an account you set up and put money in so you can spend from that instead of using a credit card. I don't know. 

I will say they are getting a little bit smarter. Now the recordings are using an American voice instead of an Indian or Nigerian voice. 

I saw someplace where they have a box thing you can put on your home phone that will automatically block calls that say 'number unavailable' or whatever they say. It comes with hundreds of numbers already loaded in and you can add some more manually. I think it was around $100.00. Whoa. I was thinking I might spend $19.99 for one. I get a ridiculous amount of spam calls. My question is this, if they already know of these numbers that are already keyed into the device, then why hasn't the FCC (I think that's the right org.) already banned those numbers? Government agency not doing their job? Surely not. 

I'm grumpy because I have a lousy answering machine. If it takes one missed call then all of the next calls coming in go to the answering machine until I reset it. It's downstairs and I'm usually upstairs. And it beeps every 10 seconds telling me I have a missed call. :gaah:

Political calls have started rolling in too. 

Jeepers,  what you had was a scam.  I wouldn't do anything. They are trying to get money from you.  I have a call blocker. They are great. I love it. You and everyone should get one. Not very much gets through and that includes all the political mess. 

• Like 3

Took DH to orthopedic doctor this afternoon.  They did X-Rays and it is not his knee but the muscles around the knee and above that are about shot. The muscles will not hold him up and that is why he falls. So they put him in a brace to help steady the leg and he is going to start phy. therapy. But it has to be set up, so don't know yet when that will start. 

Talked with NP about DH's blood thinners and coming off of them so he can have the skin cancers removed.  She said he will have to stay on them another 4 months, :tapfoot:  But he is at the point where we can take him off of them for his surgery to remove the cancers.  :)

Didn't get a lot done today, but did place another order with healthy heart market and cleaned kitchen. Going to try my best to go to Ledil's tomorrow.

DH called me because his elbow was hurting.  When he was getting the X-rays, he hit his elbow on the table and bled everywhere. His shirt sleeve was soaked in blood.  Doc bandaged it up and put an ace bandage over it. So now I have another ace bandage for my first aid kit.:).  I took that off and redressed it and put neosporen on it. He really didn't need the ace bandage any longer as it stopped bleeding.  The brace for the knee seems to be working. He got up and walked a bit and it seems to be giving him support. So will see what happens after the therapy.

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 3

Wow...great that your dh's knee brace is helping.  Not sure how you keep all the appointments straight, LittleSister.  :pray: 

OOTO...good point about China being the source of bedding, etc.  Sheesh, so many of our expectations are turned on their head this year!  [ and I keep going to the wrong place to edit tooooo!  ] 

Thanks for the updates, y'all, on which shelves are bare!  :shopping:

Miki.....are you expecting a lot of rain from the hurricane/tropical storm?  Or just catching the outer bands?  :pray: 

Can someone send a hurricane up to CO?  We are DEADLY dry everywhere now.  Small fire started last nite but EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE jumped it and it's out.  Whew!  Wasn't that close but...within our news range.  Anywhere is too close right now.   :(  

:balloons:   We took my mom out today....FINALLY!  :balloons:   Picked her up; picked up take-out; dropped off my dad's portion back at their house; went to the park and had lovely weather to eat.  No smoke/dust there!  Lot of golden aspens yet.  Dug thru 3 of my carry-with-me bags before finding exactly THREE plastic spoons.  The restaurant forgot to include forks, etc.  Seeeee....this is why I keep EVERYTHING in my bags.  I try to pare it down and THIS happens.  :rolleyes:  Guess what I'm stashing everywhere.  Wasn't even any in the 'glove box' of car.  WHOEVER heard of a cleaned out glove box?   DH is much more of a minimalist than me.  

{ not that that's hard since I am in NO way a minimalist...}  :busted: 

But hey, I didn't have to whittle us some cutlery to eat the cole slaw and baked potato!  :lol:   Yes of COURSE I was wearing my SAK on my belt!  (Swiss Army Knife)

Anyway, we had lovely time.  Took a short tour to see last of aspen gold.  Gorgeous with sun shining thru the leaves. 

MtRider  ....I lay down in back seat while DH shopped a little ...nearly fell asleep on the way home.  :offtobed:

• Like 2
On 10/9/2020 at 11:29 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Miki.....are you expecting a lot of rain from the hurricane/tropical storm?  Or just catching the outer bands? 

We got some wind and less than 4 inches of rain.  So all good here!

Not doing much today besides Church times 2, washing sheets and grilling some sausages.  Need rest and sleep!

• Like 1

Mt. Rider, trying to keep up with all the appts. is a job in itself.  I do get tired having to go from doctor to doctor but we do what is needed to get DH well. 

This is what we are going through.   3 heart doctors, Dermotology, plastic surgeon for removal of skin cancers, family doctor, heart rehab, kidney doctor, othropedic doctor and now phy. therapy.  

It is enough to wear anyone out. But we will get through this storm also. :pray:

Today I lessoned to church on line and canned the chicken.  DH decided to get in bed to take a nap, so I was able to tear into the den and really give it a good cleaning.  I moved the furniture around to make it easier for DH to move around better with the walker. And now he can look out the patio door instead of staring at a wall.  Nice change for him to be able to look around outside now. 

I am really tired now, but on a roll to get this house back together. Since DH got sick, we have had to move furniture back and forth so he could move around from room to room. So now getting that taken care of.  Going to work on our bedroom as soon as I can figure out an easier way for him to get around in there. it is not to bad now but the way it is set up makes it harder for me to clean up. So won't be to bad moving a couple of things around.  Then I will move on to the living room and move couches around so he can move around through there easier for his walking exersizes. He can go around in a circle from the den to living room to kitchen and back to den. He needs to do that several times a day to get his strength back. I just need to make it easier for him to manuver the walker through. 

• Like 3

Miki, I forgot to say I am glad you did ok through the hurricane. I hope and pray everyone else that was in the path of it has come out doing good. This has got to be hard on everyone involved with the hurricane right after having one 6 weeks prior to this one. I haven't been keeping up with the news as of late, but I am sure there was a lot of damage in the area where it hit.  Stay safe everyone. This year has been one bumpy ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1