MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Glad your roof is done, Annarchy!  We need one, but the patch will have to do for now.

After morning walk and dog chores, I will be making sweet potato treats for pups and taking eBay photos. Have to make jello and pudding sugar free for desserts.

Might put up Christmas tree--no ornaments this year--Oreo is still too young and impulsive!

• Like 3

Good ideas ladies. I have a milk crate looking thing in the Jeep too. It helps to keep groceries from rolling all around the cargo area. It gets pretty heavy. I have a real milk crate and they are really heavy even without anything in them. 

I have something similar TheCG. Mine is just a sewing machine case. It has a handle and wheels too. Hummm.

• Like 4

I overdid it today. Got up, started getting breakfast together while waiting for DH to rise and shine. Got him fed and situated.. Then went out to garage to tackle that chest freezer. Pulled all the food out of it and put in coolers. Then I moved the freezer out from wall because it has not been cleaned behind it nor under it for a couple of years. It was nasty to say the least back there. There is a window above the freezer that I can't get to till the freezer is moved so got the floor cleaned up and used the air hose to blow everything out from under freezer.  Then I cleaned the window. Was trying to clean the outside when the sun hit on it. Streaks on the outside but not a problem, I can wash the windows down with the hose on outside with the window cleaner attached to hose. Took me all day to get that done,  Sprayed the bug spray for indoor use as it last 12 months. Being a garage, you do get spiders in there. Then moved the freezer back in place but didn't put it against the wall as close. Better circulation that way and I can vacuum behind it easier now. DH had it against the wall. Went through all the food and I have a lot of hamburger and butterbeans still in there. So going to make spaghetti with the hamburger in it. and then going to make succotash with some of the butterbeans. not sure what else yet.  I have a whole bag full of butterbeans that we had planted last year. I didn't realize it was that many. Got to use them up. When I say bag, I mean a larger than normal grocery bag full of pint bags of them. Must be about 30 pint bags of butterbeans.  Found a large and a small ham in freezer as well that I had forgotten about. It was buried in the bottom back corner. So Ham for Christmas it looks like. Or chopped up and used in a big pot of beans to can. 

Tomorrow I am going to take it easy as my back right now is killing me. Took some Advil, but looking like I will be taking a muscle relaxer tonight. Can hardly stand up straight. That was a big job to take on by myself.  DH cannot help me with it anymore.   Dinner tonight was a cheese burger and choc.. shake from the Burger king down the road. I was to tired to cook. And not a very health dinner at that.

Annarchy, glad you got your roof finished. I know what you mean about the dust everywhere. That was a job in itself to clean up. 

• Like 2

I'm tired.  Trying to make use of our mild days.  At the same time.....hoping for snow/rain/sleep....MOISTURE!  :yar:  

Still haven't restarted Hawaiian yet.....seem to be so busy?

Making some progress with sorting/clearing.

DH working early shifts this weekend.  Hope everyone keeps any 'cooties' to themselves....

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I'm tired.  Trying to make use of our mild days. 

Remember that it's holiday season so pace yourself. :hi: We're also loaded down with info on the virus and the election.  :0327:  I found that I can give myself a break, too.    :hug3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I took a break yesterday and just doing a little today. Picked up DH's RX's and picked up a few things I was low on and came home. Didn't buy much of anything.  Just some peas as I am going to make some soup after Thanksgiving to can. Needed some peas for it and I was lower than I thought.  Took all the summer clothes to the shed to get them out of the way. So that is done for the season and now it has turned warm again. But I do keep us a few short sleeve shirts out anyway for just in case we do have a warmer than usual day. I am enjoying it while I can. 

Only went to Harris Teeter and the paper products were slim to none. No paper towels.  No TP to speak of.  Very short supply of that. Limits on a few things again.  I am good on paper products though and ordered kleenex, Just waiting for that to come in. Dryer comes Monday, so decided to wait on washing clothes as I don't have that many to wash right now. Going to get my outside clothes line restrung soon, and I now have 3 of the retractable lines for the garage. One has been up for years.. Just need to hook up the other two. Might do that tomorrow after on line church.  

• Like 5
On 11/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, Littlesister said:

WE2, which one is best. to use.  There are so many different brake bleeders out there, I'm not sure which one to buy.

We chose to buy ours at Harbor Freight because it's made of metal, the hose is included, the tip is included and the appliance has a psi gauge so you can see the amount of pressure.  You just hold the tip into the top of your cannister lid, hold the appliance against the edge of your counter, and pump that way.  Check out Heidi at Rain Country on youtube...she uses about the same type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/15/2020 at 2:05 AM, Mt_Rider said:

the family cloth

We bought two Diaper Genie's at yard sales several years ago.  I collect every piece of flannel I can find at yard sales etc., and all of hubby's old T-shirts I cut into large squares.  Been using them off and on for some some...for the #1 so far and save the tp for the duce's.  Hubby also has the part to put in a hand held "bidet" in the new bathroom...using a sink sprayer.  My clothes I just wash them with my whites with bleach.  I don't care if they lose their fancy colors! LOL

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Daylily said:

Littlesister, I want to get a retractable clothes line. Can you tell me about yours? What brand,  the pros and cons, are they sturdy, etc. Thanks!

The one I bought the other day is from Lowe's.  It is Easy home organization. The first one I've had for at least 14 or 15 years. It will go across my 2 car garage.  They are plastic with metal parts. Just screw it into the wall and there is a hook to put on wall across other side of room. then just pull the cord to the hook and connect to hook. Very easy to use. I love mine. Great for rainy days or like me when I needed to get my outside clothes line restrung and didnt do it.  Working on that now. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

We chose to buy ours at Harbor Freight because it's made of metal, the hose is included, the tip is included and the appliance has a psi gauge so you can see the amount of pressure.  You just hold the tip into the top of your cannister lid, hold the appliance against the edge of your counter, and pump that way.  Check out Heidi at Rain Country on youtube...she uses about the same type.

Thank you WE2, I will check out harbor freight as soon as I get Dh back to doctor to get stitches out of head and the bandages off his leg. praying the graft took.

12 minutes ago, Daylily said:

Thank you! I was thinking of putting it outside, maybe on the woodshed. Do you think it would be weathrproof? I guess it could be detached and taken in the house though, couldn't it?

Yes you can mount it outside. So yes, It is weather proof up to a point. Not sure if the metal parts are rust proof if they get wet from rain. and being outside, just like an outdoor regular clothes line, over time the cord from the sun could dry rot. But If you real it back in after each use the cord should last a long time.  I put mine up in garage for winter and bad weather use. I can't handle the cold like I used to.

• Like 2

Rained most of the day, but that's okay...flushes out our rain barrels (had to open the spikets for winter drainage) for this year.  It's been beautiful weather for the past several days but today turned off really cool.

Did some last minute shopping when hubby got home for doing some work for a customer.  Removed a gas stove that the oven had quit working and put in another one.  He kept the old one for metal/salvage.  We'll keep the grates and the grill that was on the top.  They'll make good camp fire, rocket stove or ??? grates.  Didn't care for the crowds when we went shopping, but knew it would only get worse as this next week starts.  The only "real" thing I needed was dried onions...LOL  But had several other items on my shopping list so went ahead and got it all done...eye drops, sneeze guards, paper towels, tp, face tissue, eggs and one of those hair trimmers that we saw advertised.  I cut hubby's hair and have since we married, but this will work great for the sides and around the ears and back lower part and neck.  I do the top of his hair with scissors anyway.  

• Like 4

Put up six pints of apples that needed to be used up.  Just used my little apple cutter (?) that cuts the apple in 8ths (?) and leaves the core in the middle...when you press down.  Put them in my electric pressure cooker, mashed them down with a potato masher and into the water bath canner.  I'm loving the one piece canning lids that we bought at the Amish store.  You tighten them just like you would a two piece (finger tight) and when you pull them out and set them on your mat, you hear the lovely "plunk".  I did some research on them so I am comfortable using them...for our household.  I have lots of Tattler's and the metal 2 piece's for meats, but these are great for other foods.  I did some green beans earlier this year and they are holding their seal just fine.  I keep them where I can keep an eye on them.  The Amish use them a lot, and the jarred up foods that you buy that are from the Amish are jarred up with the same "button top" lids.  They must be the "button top" lids though.

The nice thing is that they are re-useable as long as you don't damage the gasket sealing compound that's on the inside of the lid.

• Like 3

We have this clothesline

Amazon.com: Household Essentials 17145-1 Retractable Clothesline 5-Line Dryer | Indoor or Outdoor Use | Hang Wet or Dry Laundry: Home & Kitchen

It is mostly metal and retraceable.  I have it attached to a fence and a tree in the back yard.  I've had it about a year and am very happy with it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Euphrasyne,  I like that one but it only goes out to 34 feet.  I got the single line ones and bought 3 of them because they are 50 feet long and will stretch across my 2 car garage and I can hang sheets or blankets on one line.  I might could use that one in a bathroom, but for me the longer lines were better.

I think it would depend on where you plan on using it.  

Daylily, measure your area you plan to put the clothes line. If it fits to the 34 feet across I would go with the one Euphrasyne showed. I do like that one, but wouldn't work for me.  If you need it to stretch out further than the 34 feet, then the one like I have would be better being that it goes to 50 feet.

• Like 1

Someone DH works with is now quarantined ....  Get this:  The boyfriend of a roommate is positive.  Or rather....has "tested positive".  Has symptoms tho.  So that puts three people from the restaurant in quarantine until they can be tested. 

So....with all the false negatives and false positives......I'm not positive we know anything.  Except that we're both increasing all the vitamin/mineral supplements.  We've been taking a healthy batch since January when we were sick.  So far; so good.  But increase if there might be increased risk. 

Pray for us.....we were planning to spend Thanksgiving with folks this year.  Um.....is 5 days long enough to know if we're safe to go there?  :gaah: 

I just found out last night that we're cooking the turkey....which DH is picking up on Tuesday.....  :unsure:    Somehow I didn't get in on this planning but....DH does most of our cooking now.  :shrug:  

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I was listening to a report by a virologist, yesterday. He says that the covid tests are now so sensitive that they can pick up just a few cells within a body. The person never gets sick because there weren't enough covid cells to multiply quickly.  Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family.     :gathering:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Someone DH works with is now quarantined ....  Get this:  The boyfriend of a roommate is positive.  Or rather....has "tested positive".  Has symptoms tho. 

Mt_Rider, don’t get stressed.  When I went to the optometrist, I checked in with the receptionist and sat down.  MIL got there about 10 minutes later.  We looked at pictures in a magazine, waiting, people came in, a couple left, because they already had walk-ins waiting. Two behind me. The Dr came out, frowned, & went back to the exam room.  The phone rang, receptionist transferred the call...  3-5 minutes later, the dr came out, quietly said something to the receptionist, then walked back into the exam room.  The receptionist, cordially picked up her stuff & headed for the door.  We seriously didn’t know what was going on.  The Dr walked back in to the waiting room, and said, “I want the key.”  Which was thrown back into the waiting room.  OKAY.  The Dr. proceeded to tell us, the girls BF tested positive but didn’t tell the Dr. TX health protocol, the testing facility called her employer.  The Dr. was extremely upset & kept apologizing.  All of us in the waiting room got Lysol and sterilized everything.  Sigh.  MIL was freaking out, but I told her, she uses extreme safety protocols and not to worry.

Long story, just to say, as long as your DH wears his mask & washes his hands, there shouldn’t be any problems.  And yes, keeping you & yours in my prayers.  God knows.

It’s kinda like us doing business, how many people have come in, exposed?  We have no idea.  However, we wash our hands, clean anything they touch, or walk on, as soon as they leave. Over kill, I don’t believe so.  MIL is over 90, and, God knows, I don’t want to give it to her.  Of which, we will be going to her house on Tuesday.  

In case no one has heard... NM is closing any grocery store that has 2-3 positive employee tests, WM, Albertsons, etc...  Tell me what people are going to do when they can’t get to the store to buy FOOD!!!!!????

• Sad 5

Mt. Rider and Annarchy.  Prayers are going out for both of you and Ann's MIL.  that none of you or anyone in that doctor's office get's the virus. :pray:

Don't fret over it as all will work out.

Praying that everyone here has a wonderful Thanksgiving and a safe one as well. We all need to be with family right now. We have so much to be thankful for and praising God for keeping us from getting this virus.  I know God was with DH when he ended up so sick and in hospital the first time. He kept him safe from this virus as well as myself. So yes we have a lot to be thankful for this year. 

Everyone just pray hard for a good outcome to happen between now and the end of the year. That this virus will be done and out of here soon. And pray for a much better year next year.  This has been a very hard year on everyone in this country and around the world.  God bless everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

And remember God is in control of everything going on. He will protect those that believe and trust in him.

• Like 5

Looks like the weather is going to be great for our Thanksgiving In The Woods...don't have to worry about masking etc., since there probably won't be too many campers other than ourselves and we usually pretty much stay to ourselves.  We'll social distance if there are others. 

Miss B.jpg

• Like 8