MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

At some point, I'll walk today. Too cold this morning.
Laundry day.
Do year ending books and put away.
Package dehydrated apples from yesterday.
Make a couple of business type phone calls.
Par boil chicken for grilling.

• Like 3

:bounce:   ....I walked today toooooooo.......    Ahem....well I sure didn't walk far.  I walked down our long driveway with dog.  It's probably nearly a WHOLE TENTH of a mile.  :rolleyes:  Then stopped by my truck and started it....held accelerator til it didn't die.  Then got dog and walked another tenth of a mile ...barely.  :scratchhead:   My LEFT leg was dragging.  Almost without exception, if I have trouble, it's the right one.  :shrug:   Well, wasn't going to push that too far.  Came back that tenth of a mile to truck.  Then took truck on a bit of a drive to make sure it's warmed up.  ....today got up to 40* so I wanted to move truck on this warm day.  Yeah, it took the hill just fine.  Trying to go up our steps was not as fine as usual tho.  <_<  

MtRider  ....Rats...I think I'll build up with some more "porch laps"..... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider  ....Rats...I think I'll build up with some more "porch laps"..... 

Oh Lawsy, for a split second I thought you were saying the rats were back and you were setting 'porch traps'. :0327:I

CongRATSats on your on your walk! Don't over do and have a setback.  :hug3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Did my personal year end filing and grilled some chicken, country ribs and hot dogs.

DH's friend that was in jail is out. He paid the 1000 plus fee. DH signed for him. He better show up for court! Actually, DH will drive him there. Nice to have his stuff and dog out of the house and return to somewhat normal! He managed to keep his rental. We paid it with his bank card. Big sigh of relief!

• Like 5

Miki, I know that is a load off your shoulders.  Now hopefully you can get back to normal.

I haven't done a whole lot since I was on here last. Reading and just spending time with DH.  I did clean bedroom and wash clothes today though. Still have to keep up the housework, even though I am taken it easy. DH had a good day today. Usually after he's had his shower he is worn out. He thought he was going to get back in bed for a while after his shower and I wouldn't let him. Told him I had to wash sheets and clean the bedroom to go to den. So he is in den asleep right now. Going to make new curtains for bathroom window as soon as I decide what I want to do. Thinking of making them out of towels. I know several people that have done that and they really looked good. Got the new shower curtain already. So just need the towels for the curtains. I have a great deal of material that I had been making baby blankets with, as well as twin bed blankets using fleece material. Not sure yet if I want to make anymore baby stuff though. But need to do something with the baby print material. Something to think about for the time being.  I want to get to the fabric shop but way to far to go and leave DH by himself. Might get grandson to come stay with him around the end of the week before they leave for NC. I want to get some flannel material and some cotton material for other things to make. I guess if worse comes to worse I could order it on line, but I like to see what I am getting first. Can't do that with on line shopping. Been doing a lot of thinking about this election and what could happen depending on who wins. So trying to figure some things out around here as to what I need to be doing.  Will be working on a list of things I might need for a SHTF situation. Got my eye on a couple of solar generators.  Saving up for those now.  But will have to EMP proof them.  One of the books I want to pull out to read is on EMP"S. Will have to share what I learn from it after I read it. Hoping it will have some valuable info in it.  It really does feel good to be able to just sit and relax and think about things I have done and things I need to do. So I can just sit and make a list up and when I am ready to start prepping again, I will just go down my list and get things done.  I did have my freezer half way empty from canning, but filled it back up to the brim during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Couldn't let those sells pass me by.  And my granddaughter in CA sent us a big box of fish, scallops, salmon and crab. So that has been in freezer as well. Got some flour that I pulled out of freezer to make room for sale items. Got to pull out my mylar bags and get that put up. I have 20 lbs. to . Then when I  get back into the canning from freezer, I am going to put the other 30 lbs. in freezer for a couple of weeks and get those ready to store. That should hold me for a long time for making bread. My grain that I still have is the 25 year #10 cans and I don't want to use anymore of those till times get bad. 

• Like 2

:runcirclsmiley2:  Sheeeeesh, Jeepers!  .....don't even remind me of the  R A T  or even  M O U S E  topics unless they're wearing clothes stamped with 'Disney'.  I loved the lil' cute critters in Disney book ...was it Cinderella?  I still have my "Little Golden Book".   Thanking God we've not seen any for months now.  Changed to different traps and caught the few bold ones that waltzed right past us and dog.  :gaah:  

:amen:  So nice without them!!!!  :amen:

And :amen:  that Miki and dh and their own dogs have the place to themselves again. :amen:  We have to help out but...it's nicer when they aren't sitting in our laps for extended times.  BTDT

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did a few errands in town this morning.
Came home and did year ending books and filing for eBay.
That's about it for today.

It's so nice to leave doors open in our home now!  Had to close some because of extra dog.  He is dong fine at his home with his dad now!  Yay!

• Like 3

Didn't do a lot today. But did go to store as I needed milk and eggs. DH wanted some of those thin bagels also. Went to Food Lion and they had a pretty good sale going. So picked up a few more can goods. Tomatoes and low salt butter beans. They had Boston Butts on sale for 99 cents, so got a huge one to put in slow cooker in the morning. Going to can barbeque again. 

Got to call the plumber tomorrow morning as well. DH sits down hard on toilet as he can't seem to do anything but fall on the toilet seat. So the toilet is one of those that have the separate tank and toilet. Tank is leaking now as it is loose from the toilet and it seems to be screwed on tight. Water was all over the floor. So had to clean that up and put towel down to catch the drip.  Not happy about that. Just more money to dish out. I would have called SIL but he is in NC working now. So that means a plumber. I am trying to save money not spend it. Got to figure out a way for DH to be able to sit on toilet easy not just drop down on it. He has the rails around the toilet but he still just falls hard on it. I think that is what loosened the 2 piece toilet from each other. The tank is shaky on there now. Thinking maybe some rails on the wall in front of the toilet might help. Will see. 

I want to make some chicken salad, tuna salad and egg salad tomorrow but now will just wait till I see when plumber can come out. But will get the boston butt in the slow cooker in morning and make DH' suddenly salad for tomorrow. He seems to love that stuff. This will be the 4th box I have made in 5 days. But at least he is eating something.  Had a rump roast I had canned back in 2013 and wanted to use it. So I made gravy, mashed potatoes and heated the roast up and it fell apart nicely so DH was able to eat it. Had peas with it also. That was about all DH would eat. he doesn't eat much so that was plenty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They make toilet chairs that sit over a toilet.  Like this one:  Amazon.com: OasisSpace Rolling Shower Chair 400 lb, Rolling Commode Transport Chair with Wheels and Padded Seat for Handicap, Elderly, Injured and Disabled: Health & Personal Care .  If you have a sick or heavy person, they can really save the plumbing.  We had to use these when my heavier uncle got sick years ago.  

I cleared up all the xmas stuff and got the kids started on virtual school again.  The baby is growing like a weed; she is going through formula and diapers at a greater rate than expected.  I'm still upset that my milk never came in enough to exclusively breastfeed, but it is what it is.  DH is going to make a shopping trip after work today to pick up some more "coo and poo" items.  She can almost roll over --90% of the way but the last elbow cannot quite get over--, so mobility is in the near future and babyproofing is happening.  Both older kids have almost killed themselves on the stairgate we put in at the bottom of the stairs.  It stays open if you leave it all the way (which I like), but swings itself closed with the slightest nudge and took a beating from the teens.  Overall, I am glad that it is there but the cats and kids find it annoying.  

One of my internal hard drives failed (not C:\, I have 3 internal drives) and I was concerned because I keep collections on that one.  Books, recipes, planner pages, excel sheets,  etc.  It was a 4Tb drive that was about half full.  DH ordered a SATA to USB converter so I could get the data off it, but I needed some of the data now.  He made fun of me because I insisted on removing the drive, putting it in a ziplock baggie and tossing it in the freezer for a few hours.  He was laughing at me less when it worked and I spent all day yesterday moving data over to the other internal 4Tb drive.  He looked into the issue and decided that I need a new internal HD for everyday data storage.  My solid state C is fine, but he is replacing the damaged one with a newer, bigger 8Tb drive with double cache so it should be much faster when loading and moving files.  

I'm not sure if the future looks more like Little House, Mad Max, or Star Trek, but I'm flexible.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

I'm not sure if the future looks more like Little House, Mad Max, or Star Trek, but I'm flexible. 

LOL!  Me too!

Good morning!

Will do video soon.
File year end boxes in a large tote somewhere.
Going to pressure can some BBQ Pulled Pork that's been in the freezer.
Order seeds!

• Like 2

They also make just a high rise toilet seat. Amazon isn't letting me copy/paste but just go to Amazon and type in  high rise toilet seats. Samples will show up.

5 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Little House on the Prairie sounds nice. But I'm gearing up for Max Max. 

"Coo and Poo"  LOL.  I remember when g'son was in that stage. Since I volunteered to keep him supplied with diapers, wipes and formula, I know how expensive that gets. Amazon made a good living off of me for a couple of years. And those baby gates... I could just barely step over those wooden and plastic ones. If I hung on to the wall. But son had those metal ones that would swing open. Much nicer but too tall to step over. By the time I could figure out how to get it open, they didn't need them any more. And they had three of them! One for the steps, one for a bedroom and one for the kitchen. Thankfully, they didn't have one for the bathroom. It had a regular door. I would have been doomed. 

Good for you on figuring out your computer! I've got mine figured out too. I figured out to write down (on paper, not in the computer) the Geek Squad's phone number and keep it handy.  :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

euphrasyne, I really like that seat but would not be able to use it as could not get that into these small bathrooms form him to ease himself on to the toilet. As it is we can barely get his walker through the door. He leaves the walker outside the door and holds on to the door frame and the sink. Toilet is right beside the sink, so when he gets in front of the toilet he just falls onto it. As he has not got the strength in his legs enough to hold him up. So he just flops down on it and has loosened the tank from the toilet. I think I have that fixed for now. But not sure. i worked on it last night. It has stopped leaking for now. 

Jeepers I have looked at those high rise seats also. I would have to remove the toilet seat, put that on and I think then replace the toilet seat on top of that. But he would still be flopping down on the seat and don't think that would solve that issue with the tank coming loose from the toilet. But I am thinking about one. Or I will pull out the bedside commode for him to use. Lots to think about on it. 

Just so everyone knows, I have shut down both my twitter account which I never use anyway and facebook account. I have done this for Biblical reasons. i could say what they are but not sure if anyone would believe it.  But if you go to Olive Tree ministry and lesson to the videos on u tube with Jan Markel you will learn a lot of why Trump would not have been reelected and it's not what you think. Media has lied to us to a point of brainwashing. I am sure you have heard about the great reset, or to be sure the one world order. We are now here with a full blown democrat government. That is about all I will say on here, but will go to the for us only section if anyone wants to know more. 

• Like 2

The toilet chair doesn't have to roll in an out.   We set up ours in the bathroom and it never moved.  When he sat down, he just sat down on it rather than the toilet.  It isn't very wide and fits in *most small bathrooms.    It folds up and unfolds to get into the room for the initial set up.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  I am going to be optimistic today!

Have to pay water bill today.
Stop at Dollar General for DH.
Hardware store for big rope for dog chew toy.
Write eBay drafts.
Cut up cheese for dog treats.
Date and put away BBQ pulled pork that was PC'd yesterday.
This afternoon, going to wake for my neighbor.
Cover plants (every night, pretty much while it's cold). It's easier than bringing them in.

• Like 2

eupphrasyne, I will take a closer look at that chair. I do like the concept of it. And I think it would be easier for DH. I am glad to know it folds up to get through the door.  The bathroom in our bedroom is very tiny. Not even big enough to get dressed in there.  The main bathroom is bigger but like a galley type bathroom. Not very wide. 

Today I got barbeque done up to can. Went to Harris Teeter to buy the things that I couldn't get at Food Lion the other day. Then came home got that little bit of things put away and finished up the barbeque and canned it.  Got DH his bath and settled in for the day also. His leg where they removed the skin cancer is looking better but still leaking water. So I guess when he goes back to the doctor, he will fix that if it still hasn't stopped leaking by then. I am still having to change the bandages several times a day. 

• Like 3

I wasn't optimistic today, but found something optimistic:

In counting homeschooling days, we're over halfway through.  :)  

We'll continue to learn when we're done with the 180 days, but it will be a relief to get a break from the record-keeping for a few months.  One less thing.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 4
On 1/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, kappydell said:

I think I'll try to can up some pints of navy bean & ham soup with the bits from the ham bones.  Maybe split pea?  Are we still allowed to can that or is it "too dense"?  

Kappy - I put up some split pea a while back (it is all gone now) and it wasn't "thick" when I jarred it, but it did "solidify" some as it cooled down, but not enough to be worrisome I don't think. I found out a very easy way to get the peas cooked and smooshed at the same time: pressure COOK them! Follow the no more than 2/3 rds of the cooker full rule, and put a thin layer of oil on the top before cooking (it prevents "foaming). When the time is up the peas were not only cooked nice and soft, but pretty much "melted" into a smooth "paste." Who knows, it might also work for your Navy beans too. :thumbs:

BTW- happy to hear the dog stuff was helpful Kikopup has lots of really good content on her channel.

• Like 4
On 1/7/2021 at 3:33 AM, euphrasyne said:

One of my internal hard drives failed (not C:\, I have 3 internal drives) and I was concerned because I keep collections on that one.  Books, recipes, planner pages, excel sheets,  etc.  It was a 4Tb drive that was about half full.  DH ordered a SATA to USB converter so I could get the data off it, but I needed some of the data now.  He made fun of me because I insisted on removing the drive, putting it in a ziplock baggie and tossing it in the freezer for a few hours.  He was laughing at me less when it worked and I spent all day yesterday moving data over to the other internal 4Tb drive.  He looked into the issue and decided that I need a new internal HD for everyday data storage.  My solid state C is fine, but he is replacing the damaged one with a newer, bigger 8Tb drive with double cache so it should be much faster when loading and moving files.  

Holy Moly eupphrasyne! I just bought an HP mini tower with ONE T of memory and thought I was doing good!!!  :blink:

On 1/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, Jeepers said:

Good for you on figuring out your computer! I've got mine figured out too. I figured out to write down (on paper, not in the computer) the Geek Squad's phone number and keep it handy.  :pc_coffee:

Jeepers, this is pretty much my go to solution. :24:

IMG_20191217_234022.thumb.jpg.bc8d5572e400eceadc033040337aee16.jpg

• Haha 6

Good Morning,

House cleaning day, here.  Pups have muddied the floors and dusted the furniture.  French bread is on its first rise, birds are singing, skies are crystal clear and it’s in the 50’s. 

:bouquet:

• Like 3

Ugh. I have a bad headache and I'm nauseous. I've had a couple of chills too. It had better not be anything contagious. I've been trying to sleep through it but that isn't working. I feel too crummy to fall asleep. Praying it's just a 24 hour thing.

Funny where our mind goes when we feel 'off' these days. No fever and I can still smell and taste so I'm panicing...

• Sad 4