MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Hope you feel better soon Mt. Rider. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason when things happen. Once my uncle stepped off a curb and broke his ankle.

You know that dreaded call you get in the middle of the night when someone is sick or had an accident. Or worse. My phone rang at 4:30 am. Scared the stuffing out of me. In the time it took two rings I already had half of my family in the hospital and the rest of them... :sad-smiley-012:

Turned out to be an Amber Alert. From about 15 miles from me. At 4:30 in the morning. Seems the mother had taken her son.  Later I looked at the caller ID and it said REDALERT. At about 5:30 am they called back saying he had been found. So, I haven't gotten much sleep. 

I know if it was my family is want the alert going out too but dang, that's scary when you get one of those calls late at night/morning. 

• Sad 5
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Hope you feel better soon Mt. Rider. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason when things happen. Once my uncle stepped off a curb and broke his ankle.

You know that dreaded call you get in the middle of the night when someone is sick or had an accident. Or worse. My phone rang at 4:30 am. Scared the stuffing out of me. In the time it took two rings I already had half of my family in the hospital and the rest of them... :sad-smiley-012:

Turned out to be an Amber Alert. From about 15 miles from me. At 4:30 in the morning. Seems the mother had taken her son.  Later I looked at the caller ID and it said REDALERT. At about 5:30 am they called back saying he had been found. So, I haven't gotten much sleep. 

I know if it was my family is want the alert going out too but dang, that's scary when you get one of those calls late at night/morning. 

Well, someone got in big trouble for the REDALERT calls. They aren't supposed to call land lines because there is no opt out option. They called people at 11:00pm, 1:00am, 3:00am, 4:30am and 5:30am. Not everyone got all of those times. I got the 4:30am and the 5:30am calls. I heard hundreds of people called in to complain. I don't mind Amber Alerts but 4:30 in the morning? I looked up RedAlert. It's not just missing children. It's any kind of danger going on. I've gotten the reverse 911 call a couple of times. They were from my town and not that early. This call was from East Cleveland. 

The more think of it the madder I get. I was fine until I heard other people were mad. I worked myself into a snit. :scratchhead:

• Sad 5

Well this thing is MUCH better today....still not gone.   I DID have a good night's sleep....able to lay on L side.  :amen:   Nuprin and homeopathic arnica.....and arnica gel DH slathered on before bed.  My bod seems to do well with arnica.  My foot last summer responded to that too. 

DH is still concerned it might be a "reflex action"  {chiro talk} from the kidney.....  So he got me some cranberry juice, JIC.  I happen to like that stuff - straight.  No Cran-mango and such.  The episode did take the stuffin's outta me tho.  Today I could do a little something and then go back to bed to rest; trembling.  :buttercup:  Oh well.  Still managed to get 2 loads of laundry down stairs tho DH brought them up when he got home again.  He and dog toured the town [bank, grocery, my folks] and wore her out.  Wore DH out too.....  :unsure:  

Jeepers....we get alerts for wildfire on phone if we're in the zone.  All else like accidents/road closures by email.  And we had to sign up for it. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 3

Glad you are feeling better, Mt. Rider!  You certainly lead an interesting life!

Yesterday, I walked, did laundry, took Peanut Butter to the beauty parlor and DH had COPD doc appt.
Today, walked me and dogs.
DH will pick up and ferry around his friend for awhile.
EBay photos later.
Go to local store for garden seeds.
At 2:30, Oreo gets the 2nd set of his doggie downers before going to the vet at 4:30.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Left side....pretty good; still feel it a bit. 

Right shoulder....aack!  Both shoulders can 'seize up' due to former injuries.  [aka: Big Dog; previous to Koa]   The right one decided last evening was the time.  :motz_6: Did all the arnica and Tylenol and THANKFULLY slept fine until 8am.....it was really hurting then.  Got it somewhat calmed down today.... DH adjusted me and that felt better. 

Energy still very fragile......beginning to think my Clutter Clearing had stamina ramifications.....  :whistling:    Or....maybe it's just the pain?  :scratchhead:   I guess it doesn't really matter.  I'll do what I can do...when I can do it.  :shrug:  

DH is going up and down in his functioning too....  meaning we are not able to be much help to my folks.  He did deliver some groceries to them this week but we can't even be regular anymore.  :shrug:  

MtRider  .....cross another day off the calendar...  :shrug: 

• Sad 4

I must agree Mt. Rider your life is never a dull moment.  Hope you are feeling much better now. 

Slept in this morning as I was up and down with Dh last night. When I did get to sleep, we had an 8 am amber alert that a 3 month old baby was kidnapped. Turned out it wasn't really a kidnapping but the mother left baby in unlocked car to go into Wawa's and some guy jumped into car and took off. This was in Chesapeake. The baby was found by a woman in Norfolk and the car was found 2 miles away. They haven't caught the guy yet as far as I know. Baby was ok. But I am sure when they catch him, he will be charged with both kidnapping and stolen car. Just glad the baby was doing ok.

Got up and dressed and then got Dh his meds and breakfast. Got me a cup of coffee and then started back on taxes and had to make some business phone calls. Got another bill from Dh's second ER trip where the insurance had paid it, but they still wanted to bill me as well. So this time I called the insurance company and they are taken care of it. Dh has a small check he get's from the gas company he worked for every month. January's was lost in mail, so they are issuing another one. It's not much as it is what they reinburse him for what he pays for Medicare each month. I cash it and put it in our emergency fund every month. Helps to build that up a little. 

Worked on taxes some today but still waiting for things to come in from bank and one thing from his retirement. They are slow coming and I am ready to get the taxes done and sent off.  DH's cell phone bill was late getting to them because of slow mail delivery. So when I got a bill for both December and January, I just repaid December's. Then got that bill in January along with the December bill that they should have gotten in Dec. So I only owed them 10 cents for Feb. bill. So I called and asked if that could be added on to Feb. bill. They said yes as the banks would not know what to do with it anyway. So that is taken care of now. 

Dh had his bath and will be going tomorrow to the orthopedic doctor about his muscles in leg. I hope and pray I can get him in and out of car with no issues this time. 

• Like 3

Hello my friends!  Today was a typical day....the youngest dog woke me at 4 am....to go to bathroom.  He is accustomed to a doggie door so has not learned to hold it, so I am grateful he comes and gets me with enough time for me to get to the door...even at 4AM.  I am sleeping in my bed again (hooray!) thanks to physical therapy (I work my buns off).  But the body is complaining with aches and pains as it gets accusatomed to being immobile in the prone position again.  2 weeks  ago i could have sworn I passed some kidney stones.  Pains were in the proper place.  Called the insurance nurse and she told me what to watch out for as I am getting pretty tired of the hospital and I figured why sit around the ER all night and then get told it was something else?  Next morning the pains went away.  This last week the surprise of the week was shingles.  ACK!  Only 3 weeks ago my doc offered me a shinglesa vaccine and I said no.  Silly me.  They are nearly cleared up, and I REFUSED to stop going to PT or stop doing anything.  So I will be happy when they disappear totally.  

Chainsaw Marys back is getting quite bad.  It pains her considerably to shop at Walmart now.  After about 30 min the hard floors make her spine hurt.  So she found a mobility scooter online on sale for a ridiculously low price and bought one.  Then she went to her eye doc for a prescription for glasses and we ordered off internet again.  I had such good luck with Zenni optical that we used that.  She found a pair she liked, and bought 2 regular pairs, 2 sunglasses PLUS a clip on yellow lens for night driving.  All for $65 (comes to $16 a pair plus the clip ons were $5.  She can hardly wait for them to arrive as her old glasses do not work anymore.  For my birthday we ordered that 3 wheel bike I might have mentioned for Mary and I to ride on for exercise and for short hops to the local convenience store when she runs out of cigarettes or bait.  Come to think of it, it would go nicely down to the nearest fishing hole, too.  

I am looking for a local gym to go to when my physical therapy ends.  I am working my tail off and my therapists are not afraid to ask for my best effort.  I keep telling them if something is hard for me it means it is an exercise I NEED to do to get better.  But soon the PT will end, so I will go to the gym.  I looked at a bodyplex gym today that takes the silver slippers program (free gym membership thru medicare).  Not that I necessarily want to do classes, but I want to use the weight machines and cardio machines for working out, as they are safer at this point than free weights at home.  I do with they had a pool, but I will make do.  I only wish Mary could come along, but the VA does not offer the program.

I need to strengthen my bad shoulder as much as I can and start going to the range so I can learn to shoot from the hip as the left arm cant hold a rifle up very long.  We did buy a bipod support, I need to learn and practice with that too.  Just in case things get rough and we need to start eating wild meat.  I have considered contacting local farmers and asking if I can trap out the varmints (their choice...raccoon, possum, beavers, woodchucks, whatever...) to hone my trapping skills.  I would not do the fur processing - fur prices very low and quality in our warmer area is not as nice as northern furs - but many of the furbearers are edible, and it is another source of nutrition for hard times. (I read of one little old lady who got her beloved doggie (and her) thru the depression by trappin, cooking up, and canning mushkrats and squirrels.  Chickens will eat meat with relish too, so it might  be a viable option for feeding both man and beast.  Besides, if I can remove some varmints, I am more likely to get hunting permission. 

So, the working out has an additional reason.  I want to face whatever comes, as strong and fit as possible, so I can help Mary when she needs it.  

For some reason that old Creedence Clearwater Revival song still runs thru my brain...."I see a bad moon rising....I see trouble on the way....."  I'd rather prepare for, than fear the future, as I think we all would.  

Garden is still producing....kale, collards, and the cabbages even made it.  Carrots came up too, but they grow with very low rosettes of leaves in the cold, so they need digging rather than pulling.  Spring is coming....in march the first transplants will start arriving.  I can hardly wait.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 7

Kappy, you inspire me to learn and do more!

Will walk a bit later and do a short video much later.
Do eBay photos.
Prune roses since that didn't get done a week ago. Getting up to 69 today!

Oreo's vet visit went a little better this time. All the meds still didn't calm him down but the tech had a death grip on his neck so he couldn't bite anyone.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, kappydell said:

For some reason that old Creedence Clearwater Revival song still runs thru my brain...."I see a bad moon rising....I see trouble on the way....."  I'd rather prepare for, than fear the future, as I think we all would.  

"Don't go around tonight.... It's bound to take your life".

"Hope you got your things together.... Hope you are quite prepared to die". 

Yep. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

"Don't go around tonight.... It's bound to take your life".

"Hope you got your things together.... Hope you are quite prepared to die". 

Yep. 

It started the day the election was 'certified' and has not let up since. Bugged me so much I looked up the lyrics, and wow.  I hope that wont be the soundtrack to 2021, but.....

• Like 4

I finally made it to Dollar Tree.  :rolleyes:  I went for some note pads and left nearly $50.00 poorer. I got a lot of water flavoring. Not sure what it's called. Some snacks and some vinegar. Also some ice cube trays and a bin to put ice cubes in. The Indy refrigerator doesn't have an ice maker. And some more kitchen matches and another set of salt/pepper shakers. I can't remember what else. I did get four notebook pads. Hopefully I won't spill sweet tea on these.

Subway was a couple of doors down so I stopped in there and got a sandwich for tomorrow. Then I swung by the drugstore for a garden salad and some potato salad. It's so odd that a drug store has the best salads. Made fresh every day and their potato salad tastes almost like mine. I walked past some pork chops and they looked so good. Lean and thick. But no room in the freezer. Crazy drug store.

Stopped at the ATM and over to the gas station to top off the tank. I still had 3/4 of a tank but it's so cold out I figured I'd rather spend a few minutes out there filling it up than waiting until it was half empty and spending more time out of the car. It was $2.47 a gallon.  :(   We are supposed to get rain and snow tomorrow. That should be interesting. 

I haven't done that much running around in a long time. I think the key for me is very short trips. Wal-Mart about kills me.

Then when I got home I checked my mail. Guess what was in there?

A Christmas card from a cousin! It was postmarked Dec. 17th. Can't make this stuff up. She'll get a kick out of that when I call her tomorrow. Wonder when she will get mine. A stagecoach would have been faster. Or pony express.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pony Express, indeed! 

I felt well enough today [after finally getting legs and stamina going] to feel kinda normal.  Got hair washed anyway.  Got to ZERO degrees last nite and I woke up too early - freezing!  :frozen:   We turn the heat low at nite but that was mebbe too low for the outside temperature.  Kinda tells how much outside leakage we get when the furnace won't keep up when it's ZERO or below unless you set it higher.  :buttercup:    Old Log Cabins....

Still not accomplishing much but just the usual.  L side is nearly unnoticeable and R shoulder is cooperating today.  :amen: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Stopping in to say hello and let everyone know son was released from hospital and is to have the tooth removed around the 8th?  He's still on high powered antibiotics though.  Docs told him he skated on very thin ice.  BP was stroke level, insulin level close to him going to sleep and not waking up and the poisoning in his blood would have killed him in just a few more hours.  He's so "high risk"...but prayers worked!

Today we took advantage of the bad weather (:laughkick:) and made an Amish shopping run.  It quite snowing heavy in about an hour and then was just a light misty rain the rest of the morning.  All was cleared by the time we headed home...just cold!  

Needed to pick up some Melatonin, CoQ10 (?) and more Magnesium.  It's just cheaper there and they carry the NOW brand which is the only ones I'll buy and use.

Picked up several tubs of vanilla yogurt, some sliced ham for sandwiches and several bags of tortilla chips (99c a bag) for hubby.  Did go to WM before we left town to pick up some Diet Thunder for hubby (they only had 3 twelve packs...yes...we bought all three!) to last us the month.  I drink bottled green tea and I had plenty on hand.  Put some dollars on our gift card and then filled up the van.  Truck needs work so we're letting it sit until we have the dollars to get it worked on :(

Glad everybody is hanging in there.  This past year has been a tough one and this current one isn't looking too good right now.  We're trying to stay stocked up by replacing everything we are using and adding an item or two as we look forward to "somebody" getting our country back in line with the constitution and Bible, but we all know government isn't the one who's going to save our country...it's going to be God!  Just sayin...

I was listening to a church service online and they were singing a song (can't remember the exact words) that said "I believe in miracles, I can see miracles, faith produces miracles...and they're looking for a home".  I nearly jumped out of my skin! So anointed!  It's been going around in my brain like a pea in a whistle and I'm loving every minutes of it!:hapydancsmil:

• Like 7

WE2, I am glad your grandson is doing better though it sounds like he still has a ways to go. Keeping him still in prayer.  That song sounds like one I have heard before. Good song. And God is the only one that will bring us out of this mess we are in.  Things are not looking good for 2021 in more ways than one. 

Mt. Rider I am so glad to hear you are doing better now. 

Kappy, keeping you and Mary in prayer still. This is not the time for any of us to be going through what we have endured.  But God takes us all through trials and we just have to keep our faith that he will pull us through them all good or bad.  

Took Dh to orthopedic doctor today.  He saw a different one this time that knew more about strokes and CHF.  He said the problem is not arthritis nor the muscle in his leg to a point. Therapy would not really have helped him that much.  Seems the stoke he had in 1993 is now playing against him.  The brain is not sending signals to the legs to do what he needs to do to walk. If the brain doesn't send the signal then he falls. Not quite heard of it that way but will be researching it. I got him in car to go to doctor but when we got there I needed help to get him out of car.  When we left the doctor himself came out and got him into the car. Good doctor. He said I can no longer keep trying to help him as I am going to hurt my back and mess up my neck and shoulder again. So he said to call the family doctor and get the help I need. Has to be done through a family doctor for Medicare it seems. Left message with family doctor to call me. He was not in today. So should here from him tomorrow. Orthopedic doctor also said I need to get him back into heart rehab. That would do more good at this time. Though that is 3 times a week and no one there would help me get him in and out of car. So that's out till I can get some help. That is also the reason I wouldn't go through the wound care. That was a daily trip and they said they cannot help get him in and out of car. So that was out. Doing wound care myself and it is looking better. But still not healed yet. 

Me tired and worn out. Muscle in side is killing me. It is in the rib cage and this has been an on going thing, so not from lifting Dh up and down. I can say. when someone can't walk, that is dead weight that makes his 140 pound body feel like 300 pounds. Very hard on me and being short doesn't help. Time to bring in the help.  He will not be going to a nursing home, so they best not even suggest it. i will do what I have to do to bring in nurses when needed if I have to take out a reverse mortgage to do it. That is something I do not want to do as I plan on selling this house and getting out of dodge one day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I hope you get your help lined up soon, Littlesister.  You've been doing so much for a long time!

Glad your son is on the mend, WE2!

And glad you are getting back to normal, Mt. Rider!

Will walk first and then walk dogs.
Make a couple of phone calls.
PC 5# of potatoes.
Didn't get to the roses yesterday, so maybe today.
Making Red Enchilada Chicken for dinner, probably with cauliflower rice and a squash casserole.

Trying to stay normal here!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes I think I could could cover geography for DD just by us tracking where our packages travel.   Sometimes just before they get to our state, they take a major detour.  

I'm trying to rest.   Overdid it trying to organize.  I'm hoping that is it and it is not me moving backwards healthwise again.  

I ordered a bookshelf.   It will be a few months 'til it is in.   The furniture stores were deemed "non-essential" in my state last spring, so this helps support a small business, too.    Been trying to figure out what other books (for homeschool purposes and otherwise) that I want to make sure I get.   I've been holding off, $$ wise on ordering books.  Making my lists and reviewing and cutting and reviewing some more.   

:pray: for you all.  

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Littlesister said:

That is also the reason I wouldn't go through the wound care. That was a daily trip and they said they cannot help get him in and out of car. So that was out. Doing wound care myself and it is looking better. But still not healed yet.

Is he still needing wound cares? You should be able to get a visiting nurse for that through your wound care doctor's office.

I really hope you are able to get IHHS(?) services, BUT, find out if it is DH that should apply and not you - because they are focused on helping an individual stay in their home and not be institutionalized, and that is HIM, not you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Sometimes I think I could could cover geography for DD just by us tracking where our packages travel.   Sometimes just before they get to our state, they take a major detour.  

There is an interesting channel on YouTube called "Geography King." He does a lot of comparisons among the states, looks at a variety of different maps, and points out interesting facts about each state. It might be fun for you to check out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6Qas2nqiX98L0NwqfVT7A

This is one of the "quirky" videos:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Midnightmom,  Dh's family doctor is taking care of everything for him and me as we both have the same doctor. 

The plastic surgeon did not know how to go about getting Dh wound care. He gave me the main number for the hospital and told me to just call them. Doen't work that way as he has to give a referral as to what needs to be done. So still no wound care.

Home health should be calling me next week as I talked to family doctor this morning and told him everything going on. Even the wound care issue. Told him again I had to call rescue squad to get him up again as he decided he wanted to walk to the den and he made it to den but legs gave out. I was behind him and caught him and sat him on floor. Couldn't get him to the couch or chair. So just laid him back and put a pillow under his head so I could call rescue squad. I always use non emergency for this unless he gets hurt falling like he did once already. 

Told family doctor what the orthopedic said about the brain not sending a signal to the legs to walk. That sounds like ALS which is Lou Gehrig's disease. As soon as home health comes in and evaluates him for what we need. They will be getting him to the doctors he needs to go to and now he will be seeing a neurologist. Family doctor setting that up as well. Need to go to pick up RX at doctor's for a different type of wheelchair for him as well. Will do that next week.  Doc. said I need to have a day off here and there so he is putting into the home health that I need to have a day off to rest so they will stay with him while I do what I need to do . Even one day will be a big help. 

Trying to go through the rest of the meds and get them put away. I am throwing away a lot of stuff. Out of date. Still have the old RX's Dh and I no longer take to go through and get rid of.  Want to get that job out of the way before home health comes in. 

Don't need to say I am tired and my back is killing me right now.  Going to be a heating pad night. 

And I had our friend from the market have them make lunch for the rescue squad today.  He got it all together and took it to them for me. He is the manager of the Farmers Market and helps us out when he can. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Good morning!

I will do a video shortly as it is raining out.
Then have a yard sale to go to if it hasn't been cancelled because of rain.
Next dry PC the potatoes that I prepped yesterday.
If the rain clears this afternoon, I have rose hips to collect from bushes at Church.
Never got roses pruned yesterday and am thinking I will wait until the end of the month.
Hoping to get this year's garden down on paper.

Have a good weekend!

• Like 3

Read, ate 2 small homemade breakfast sausages, pitted & diced plums, mowed the front lawn, saved the clippings to cover the grass seeds in the back yard, edged some of the lawn, until I ran out of cord, air blowed the loose clippings, stacked a couple more things of trash for bulk pick up on Monday, noticed someone took the old water heater, recycle-trashed a collection of grocery bags, hung the garden covers to dry, cooked and processed the plums, folded & put away the covers, washed & put up all the canning dishes & utensils, dated & labeled the salsa... listening to ‘ping’ making me smile I did something right....

...and now... it’s time to start house cleaning.

• Like 5

Gaah!  Yesterday.....I dropped more things; jammed more things; ran into more things.  ...don't think I fell tho.  :amen:  Just a reallllly OFF day.  :sassing:  

Today was much better....tho my stamina would give out before I was done a couple times.  My biggest project was to clean out the humidifier and put in the new filter that's been laying next to it for a month.  Yay!   ICKKKK it was all dust and .....I threw out the old filter without looking too close...yanno what I mean?  :buttercup: 

I've lost close to 15# .....  :happy0203:   Getting back down to my normal.  Not yet but closing in on it.  Sorting clothes again.

'Olelo Hawai'i ...... AAAUGH!  It took me TWO HOURS tonite to do a review on the FOOD chapters.  Good thing I already know the foods: poke, laulau, lomilomi salmon, kalua pig, etc.  But the REST of the words to make correct sentence....  :rolleyes:  This was a review, mind you.  But I just took my time and was successful in "connecting a few more dots"  in this review.  A sentence for "This rice is tasty" is a different sentence than "This is tasty rice".   'Ono ka laiki.  :yum3:  Feel like I'm getting back what dropped out of my brain between Oct and now.  :misc-smiley-231:

MtRider  :feedme: 

• Like 3