MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Power came back on for a few hours this afternoon, then off again.  Well was frozen, but thawed out with a few hours of heat tape.  Planning to camp out in the trailer again tonight. Was able to round up another bottle of propane.  Hubby thinks we're good for another 2 nights.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I was wondering how you were, TheCG.  Your state certainly was in the bull's eye for this one.  Whole lotta preppers evolving during this.  Can hear from way up here..... Hon, we are not EVER going to get caught without a means for heat, eating, water, sanitation, and safe amusement for the kids....ever again!  :happy0203:

OTOH....I can also hear:  Och, this is a once in a lifetime event.  We can give this stuff to GoodWill or sell on eBay. 

BARGAIN ALERT:  I'd be watching for this sort of person's stuff ....  :shopping:  ...after you get past the current crisis.  [remember Y2K supplies?]

Had a long but fun/productive day.  Getting headache.  Been awake since 5AM....  :faint3:  Need bed.

MtRider    :offtobed:  'Night Everyone

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

I'm planning on awesome deals on bigger generators at the pawn shops this summer, if not sooner.

Luckily, we're not going to really get the second round of weather so hard as the eastern part of the state.  As long as we can keep gas going in the generator, we should be alright out in the camper.  It would be lovely if we could get more propane, but at this point we may just use the electric heaters and only use the last tank or 2 of propane for cooking.

Power is on again in the house.  I think I'm going to go get the dishes out of the camper, bring them in and wash them, then see about refilling the gas cans.

A friend just said that a pipe froze and burst over her garage, so we might have to go do a rescue mission (or at least find a camp stove and 1 or 2 of the tiny bottles of propane to take to her - she said she has plenty of food, but it's all frozen!).

Edited to add:  The only reason we're running out of propane is because you can't get it for money - nobody has any.  The one supplier in town had a line of about 70-80 cars, I'd guess.  Luckily, I have people who love me (or at least like me), which is why we currently have 2 full tanks.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

My back is feeling somewhat better today. I'm trying to think of some place to go. I need to keep the car battery charged up. I didn't go any place yesterday (or was that the day I went to the store) I can't remember. My days and nights seem to run together. Anyway, I'm going to take it out for a spin. Yesterday it was down to 11 degrees and last night it was 3 degrees. 

You southerners who are being effected by this cold weather, be sure to start your car every day or two. Even if they are sitting in a garage. Cold weather really puts a drain on the battery. We northerners have learned that the hard way...speaking for myself. 

• Like 4

Uh-Huh TheCG, that's why I play dumb. Less responsibility.  :24:

And yes, do start your vehicle even if its just to idle. Mine started but it made a funny sound like it wanted to hesitate. 

We were colder than Fairbanks Alaska this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 2/16/2021 at 6:12 AM, euphrasyne said:

I've been doing a lot in the kitchen.  I made a boneless leg of lamb for valentine's day and I turned the leftovers into lamb shawarma gyros for dinner last night.  One kid didn't like taziki sauce, but otherwise they were a winner.  I made a few grab and go breakfasts & lunches for DH for work this week.  Biscuits with gravy and scrambled eggs should put him in a good mood for at least 2 days.  Yesterday I had DD12 help me put up 3 quarts of apple butter.  I am out of pint jars, but we tend to eat the apple butter fast enough that a quart should be fine.  All the 'grape jelly & BBQ sauce' recipes do amazing with apple butter instead of grape.   It is also very good as a spread inside cake layers.

I think that when I spend more time in the kitchen, life isn't magically better, but somehow it blunts the bad and makes everything just a little bit easier and happier.  I don't want to make instagram food; I just want to bring a bit of joy to my family.  

I love what you said about spending time in the kitchen, Euphrasyne!  It makes me feel better too!

Well it's been a day...or 2.

Power went out Monday morning at 9:30 Turned on last night at 8:00. Monday night we slept in the house and froze. I've never worn so many clothes at once. We thought it got down to 40 degrees in the house, then discovered that was as low as the thermostat went. Brought in a thermometer and it was 34 degrees in the house. Was wishing that DH had let me order the propane stove a month ago when I wanted to. He didn't see the need for it. I think he does now. I ordered it this morning.

Yesterday, we pretty much moved into the car. We both had full tanks of gas. We were going to sleep out there if we had too. So glad it came back on.  I think I will look for a small generator this year.  DH shoots me down about that too.  His brother always has generators that we can use---but when we can't get to his place to get one, there's a problem.  We couldn't get out of our driveway for 2 days--ice, not that much snow.

DH had to go get his friend today and take him shopping. The roads near our town are worse than out in the country.

So far today, I've done an exercise video.
Changed a couple of appointments.
Have a full crock pot of black beans going. I intend to have enough leftover to PC a few pints.
Will make yellow rice and cornbread to go with later.
I still have to cut up carrots and cheese for dog treats.

There is still a good bit of snow on the ground and plenty of ice!
Come on Spring!!!

• Sad 5

Years ago, we had 2 men we knew who went hunting in the cold.  Got in the vehicle to warm up and died from carbon monoxide poisoning, in  north Mississippi.  Please don't go to sleep in a running vehicle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

working outdoors today on green houses...we are getting down to business as Chainsaw Mary came home with cabbage and lettuce transplants.  Collards are STILL going event after sub freezing nights and no cover.  

20210217_163515_Burst01.jpg

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Virginia said:

Years ago, we had 2 men we knew who went hunting in the cold.  Got in the vehicle to warm up and died from carbon monoxide poisoning, in  north Mississippi.  Please don't go to sleep in a running vehicle.

We didn't.

1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

If you have a terracotta pot, the pot on bricks over a candle really does work quite well.  

I had heard of that and will be getting items this weekend.

• Like 2

Power has been on all day, then went off for about 5 minutes.  If we can finish drying the load of clothes (sorry y'all, undies are a priority!), I'll be happy.  Going to spend the night in the camper again because we'd rather do that than have to go out at 2am and hook up the generator and all that fun in the cold and dark.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Virginia said:

So true. It's still happening.

A Texas woman and child were found dead Tuesday due to carbon monoxide poisoning after a car was left running in a garage to generate heat during the winter storm, according to authorities. 

Police and firefighters responded to the home in Houston for a welfare check, where they found two adults and two children suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Houston Police Department. A woman and girl were pronounced dead and a man and boy were transported to a hospital, police said.

The residence was one of many across Texas to be hit by widespread power outages from the rare winter storm. Because of the outages across the state, some families used cars in garages or indoor generators for heat and electricity.

"Initial indications are that car was running in the attached garage to create heat as the power is out," according to the department. "Cars, grills, and generators should not be used in or near a building."

In Fort Worth, about 250 miles northwest of Houston, the Cook Children's Medical Center treated at least 13 kids -- some as young as 5 years old -- for carbon monoxide poisoning this week. 

"Every patient that I admitted was a phone call for carbon monoxide poisoning and this is something we just don't hardly see," Cook Children’s Dr. Phillip Scott told FOX 4 of Dallas/Fort Worth. "I don't even remember I took care of a patient with carbon monoxide poisoning, but this what we were seeing."

The Fort Worth Fire Department and Houston Fire Department (HFD) said they have responded to more than 210 calls related to carbon monoxide within the past two days. 

"DO NOT heat your home using a stove, oven, or grill. Only use generators outside. Always back your vehicle completely out of the garage before idling," the HFD wrote on Twitter. 

The deadly winter storm left millions in the state without power as historic snowfall and single-digit temperatures created a surge in demand for electricity to warm up homes, buckling the state's power grid and causing widespread blackouts.

At least 20 people have died from weather-related fatalities, including four family members who perished in a Houston-area house fire while using a fireplace to stay warm.

Texas woman, child dead from carbon monoxide poisoning; 13 kids treated overnight in state | Fox News

People wait in line to fill propane tanks Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021, in Houston. Customers waited over an hour in the freezing rain to fill their tanks. Millions in Texas still had no power after a historic snowfall and single-digit temperatures created a surge of demand for electricity to warm up homes unaccustomed to such extreme lows, buckling the state's power grid and causing widespread blackouts.

People wait in line to fill propane tanks Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021, in Houston. Customers waited over an hour in the freezing rain to fill their tanks. Millions in Texas still had no power after a historic snowfall and single-digit temperatures created a surge of demand for electricity to warm up homes unaccustomed to such extreme lows, buckling the state's power grid and causing widespread blackouts. (David J. Phillip/AP)

Ex-Texas mayor says residents should ‘fend for themselves’ as millions were without power following a winter storm - Baltimore Sun

Look at how some of those people are dressed. I don't blame them. They live down in Texas. But another reminder to our southern friends, store away a warm coat, gloves/mittens, extra socks and a hat you can pull down over your ears. That lady in the front made my heart sad. A surgical mask that most of us have would have help her a little. 

Edited by Jeepers
Spacing Issues
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Stay safe out there Miki. I hate it when we get ice. I can pretty much handle driving in the snow but ice shows you no mercy.

I reminded son not to run their generator under a window just in case the fumes could leak in. He said, "I'm not stupid mom." Well I know that but it's easy to forget things and this is the first time they ever had a generator. Luckily they haven't had to use it. The next time I go over I'm to buy them a carbon monoxide detector or two. I think my house over there has one in about every room. They are about 18 inches off of the floor. I'll bet the batteries are dead too. 

• Like 4

Preparing to go to TX.  Waited an extra day because of the snow & cold. MIL is waiting... leaving tomorrow morning.  

I’ve packaged lots of small portion foods, basic sanitation items I was able to find, one miscellaneous other stuff.  Taking Storm.... Sarah Conners...   lol. 

• Like 5

Annarchy, I know you will travel prepared but still...stay safe friend! 

What a team Annarchy Sarah and Storm will make. I wouldn't mess with either one of them. 

Ones packin' heat and the other's packin' teeth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sarah who?

:pray:  for safety for Annarchy/Storm.  Did your MIL's area get bad ice, outages, etc?

Kappy, a look at the green left in your garden bed is REFRESHING about now in mid-Feb. 

4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

He said, "I'm not stupid mom."

"Just being a mom, son!"  :lol:

.....do you know how tired my kids probably are when I keep sending emails with hurricane data or safety tips?  :shrug: 

MtRider  :offtobed:    ....slept much better last nite! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wanted to let you all know that DH pasted away early Sunday morning. He passing was quick and he was very much at peace. He knew the Lord and I know he is with him now singing and dancing with his parents and Brother.  I will miss him dearly. But I also know that his suffering as he was that it was time to let him go.. I am tearing up as I type this, but I know it will take time.  I will have my ups and downs and that is normal but knowing that DH was at peace gives me the peace I need to know he is no longer suffering. It has been a long year and a half. My daughter son in law and grandson will be leaving to go back to NC on Sunday. My granddaughter that still lives here will be coming over a lot to check on me and help me with anything I need. They have all been a big help to me in this time of need. 

I want to thank everyone on here for the prayers and for just putting up with me talking about DH. I love him so much and will miss him terrible. I am at peace knowing that he is with the Lord and no longer suffering.  As much as I didn't want this to happen, I knew it was time to let him go. Now the Lord will help me to heal and move on.  So I am at peace with his passing. Though it is hard.

• Sad 11

I'm so sorry for your loss Littlesister. I know it's been hard on you the last year but you were a loving devoted wife and companion. I hope you find peace in knowing you were there for and with him in every step of his journey. 

No one 'put up' with you talking about your struggles. We genuinely care about you. 

If we can do anything to help you through this, please let us know. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Littlesister I am truly sorry for your loss.  My DH also died after a time of suffering with congestive heart failure so parts of your journey were very familiar to me.  You are right to rejoice because the suffering is over.  It will indeed take time to get used to being single, and your emotions will be a little volatile for a time, but that is a normal adjustment.  We are here for you always, the walk is not as bad in the company of loving friends.  And when you get to heaven, you will have him waiting for you with a big ol' welcoming smile and bear hug.  The time you had together was a precious gift.  Rejoice that you found your soul mate; many never do.  And walking the final journey with you beloved is worth any sacrifice you made.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1