MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Miki, I am so sorry about your brother. What a sad thing. Praying for you and all you have to deal with.

Littlesister, still praying for you too.

I lost a cousin last week. DH and DS were at his house fixing a problem with his hot water tank and DH said about every 15 seconds, Z would grimace as if in pain. He passed away that night. 48 years old.  Probably a heart attack as he had exceedingly high BP.

• Sad 6

You will know little sister when to let go of your DH things...dont let anyone rush you but do it on YOUR schedule not someone elses.  I kept my DH winter clothes several years.  They were brand new, heavy duty, XXXL things.  When a bitter winter came I donated them to a mens shelter along with his never worn bib overalls.  I felt that somone at the shelter was a big guy who found it hard to get really warm sturdy clothing...I was told when I took them there that indeed someone would be rejoicing over them.  I could hear my DHs chuckle at that and felt it was perfect timing.  So you will know the right time and place...dont be surprised if your DH  doesnt give you a nudge at the right time.

What a shock, Miki.  But sounds like it was sudden and quick.  I dont know about you but I think thats a blessing in disguise.  Hard on everyone else though.  My thoughts and prayers for you.

Mt Rider, these are for you... Mary in a greenhouse

1734841859_maryingreenhouse03-06-21.thumb.jpg.c096a7d7a042df08ca7b333658b20c9d.jpg

Bouquets of heading collards taken yesterday                                                                                  

225409071_ipickedabouuet03-06-21.thumb.jpg.f85dfdf3b5b2ec59b2487b885844f249.jpg

Bike in progress

560808561_bikeinprogress03-06-21.thumb.jpg.635a197b383621edf1b4246765820db3.jpg

I dehydrated 2 qts of collard shreds from that picking (cooked down from 10 qts raw).  MMMMMMM,,,,collards.......

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

Good grief!  So very very sorry for everyone’s losses.  :yar:Praying for everyone, God knows!  2021 isn’t what we wanted.

Been trying to keep up with everything.  Turns out our internet provider, Century Link, has been blocking me from getting here.  We upgraded with them to 5 G, but, I was still being blocked.  Ordered Cox, and now I have no problem accessing our site.  Sigh.  Tested it, they blocked me, turned off the net, re-connected with the other... boom, I was here in 1/2 a second.  :banghead:

So much going on here, it’s a challenge even turning on my computer.  I will try to be better.  

Next week I bring MIL back, to stay with us until after Mother’s Day.  Got her post office box set up.. in my name, because she would have had to be here to get it.  Cool, I now have a PO Box just in my name. :happy0203: with her name as a secondary.  :thumbs:  

Dogs are being brats, as usual.  Barking at anyone who honks a car horn, not to mention any UPS or FedEx that drives through the neighborhood.  DH sleeps, 5am-2pm... not good.  Me?  I’m 8pm-4am...  yup, “hot cotting”.  I get up, he crashes...  24-7 security in our house.  :icon19:

kappy, your pics are awesome.  Looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Went on line this morning looking at houses near to where my daughter has moved to . All I can say is WOW!  Prices are much cheaper than in VA. And you get a bigger house for much less than VA. Though moving won't be for at least a year or two. If I decide to make that move.

Something that MIGHT be a factor in your decision: Will you be moving to a "free" state? If not, all the hassle of moving may not really be worth it - unless you are SURE that you DD won't be moving again anytime soon. :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Midnightmom, Being a free state isn't the issue. I am up in age and my family is moving away. Therefore making it harder for me to have the help I might need down the road with no family around here. My granddaughter that is getting married will in about a year and a half will be moving maybe to S. Carolina for medical school. My move is to be closer to family.  My son in law said he is not going to do another corporate move. They are not spring chickens either and he is 53. So he said he will not be taken another promotion if he has to move to do it.  And even if he did, I could put a tiny house on their 2.33 acers of land and just have it moved to where they are going next. They were here for over 10 years before he got this promotion, so I doubt I would be alive by that time. 

Here it is amost 1:30 and I am wide awake. Nights are my worst. So I couldn't sleep so here I am on computer.  I did put a dent in the office today. So that was a good thing. Still got a long way to go.  Trying to figure out what I want to do is the hard part. Plans in my head but trying to carry those plans out is tough.  

Kappy, Love the greenhouse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry about your cousin, Daylilly!

Honestly, one thing that gives me peace is that my brother's little emotional support dog is now in a home for elderly dogs.  That was very important for me to verify.  I had arrangements set to transport her here, if it didn't work out.

Already did a video.
Next Church.
Take Peanut (photo above) for play date with a friend.
Figure out how to thaw and rise frozen yeast rolls that I made a couple of months ago.
Thaw chicken thighs to PC tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daylilly, I am so sorry about the loss of your cousin.  I some how missed your post.  Praying for you and your family.  These are hard times in deed.

Seems 2021 is not going to be a great year either with so many people passing for one reason or another and our medical is going down the tubes more and more.  Guess I am going through an anger stage and it is all over how Dh couldn't get the care he truly needed. It makes me so mad as I see more and more doctors getting out and others that I know of not getting the care they need if they are up in age. I should have found new doctors during Dh's illness but wasn't sure if anyone would have taken him on with all his issues. But either way he is in heaven and not suffering any longer and that is what I need to focus on. 

I have been watching preaching on TV all morning.  Still don't feel ready to go back to church yet. No sleep last night. Tough night and I know it will take time.  I am going to try to go back next Sunday.  I feel I need to start getting out some as I haven't been out anywhere in over a year. Not even church. So going to start next week getting out just a little at a time though I know I still have to be careful of corvid. I am so over that virus and the mask. But not going to get the vaccine at this time. Might wait till I can get the one from Johnson & Johnson. But that is to be decided at a later date. 

Still got some paperwork to get done. But it is calming down now and I can get other things done now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/6/2021 at 7:31 PM, kappydell said:

Mt Rider, these are for you

:happy0203:   :sSig_thankyou:   :lois:   :bounce: 

LIKE your new greenhouse!!!!  LIKE to see GREEN COLLARDS!  And some green grass.  The trike looks cool too, Kappy. 

Hang in there, Lil Sister!  :grouphug:  :pray:    

Past two days I haven't had any energy.  Shoot...and I was doing so good for several days.  Didn't do a lot during the good time but got bits of things done each day.  Then.... :faint3:  .....I got nuthin'.  :tapfoot:     :sigh:   This too shall pass.  

I am a bit excited that the Hawaiian lessons are back to normal.....not a severe struggle and I GET IT!   :bounce:

Annarchy....we have Cent. Link for landline telephone [our ONLY option] ....isn't it fun to try to get ANYTHING ANSWERED OR DONE???  NOT!  :mad:  They keep screwing up our payments to them.  We've spent literally 6 hours on 8 phone calls [every time they transferred us: the call dropped....or they hung up]  We were trying to RE-PAY Nov billing.  DH had called in the authorization to take the amount out of checking....had plenty of money in account.....they're threatening cuz they don't have the money [which they really didn't - despite DH calling it in]    NOW it is happening for the December bill.  They had sent verification that it was paid.....and now it's not?????  :sassing:    DH is going to send paper checks from now on.  Not sure it THAT will go thru but having a canceled check will stop the:  Yes it's paid/Now it's not.  :scratchhead:  :gaah: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been trying to ignore it but...I've had a headache going on 2 weeks now. It just about goes away and then comes back with a vengeance. I'm thinking it's weather related. I'm not sick otherwise. I've been sucking down the Advil though. 

Today I did get all of my bills paid for the month though. I pay by phone with a charge card. They give a conformation number plus it's on my card statement and my bank statement and I get bonus rewards. As long as I pay the card off every month I'm ahead. I get a lot of gift cards for Wal-Mart that way. Close to $400.00 a year free with my Key Bank Master card just for paying my bills. With my Discover card I get cash back that I let roll over. Now you can use that Discover card money at Amazon. When I have a big order at Amazon I use some of that money so it doesn't feel like it hurts so bad.

Hoping we all have a better week coming up. Group hugs all around.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

This morning will walk first.
Walk dogs.
Already started laundry.
Will make sauce for Cranberry chicken.
PC said chicken.

At some point, I will deal with VA counselor and maybe pay mortuary for cremation. Not going to dwell on it, but I know it has to get done. Sigh

• Sad 2

Mt_Rider, I only pay CL with paper checks.  Tried the on line stuff, back in 2005, they messed it up, I got furious, and started sending them a check.  

I didn’t realize our home landline could be on Cox.  They ported it over and... it is still set at call forwarding, and, I don’t need the phone connected to get my calls.  If I choose, I can connect & call out, if necessary, it’s unlimited long distance now.  Nice.  .:thumbs:  Not that I get anything other than spam calls.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Sad 2

I only have certain things I will have direct payments from checking account such as insurances.  That is because I have had to many checks lost in the mail. I have a bill now that has been lost since Jan. 10th.  Can't be traced, so now I send certain things by way of certified mail. That way there is a tracking number. It cost more and you need to make a trip to post office to do it. But well worth it. 

I am taking a break right now. working on redoing the kitchen and cleaning it up. I am wanting to buy a microwave stand for my Emeril Lagasse oven. I love that oven and got it free with my cash back from discover. DH wanted me to get it after he watched the info commercials on it. You can almost cook anything in it.  But it is rather big and I need to put it on a stand and get it off the counter. So will be looking into something to set that on instead of the kitchen counter.  My kitchen is rather small and I need that space for when I am canning.  

Trying to keep busy to keep my mind off of everything.  But it all hits me late at night.  So not really getting enough sleep.  Though it has only been 3 weeks since Dh's passing, sometimes it seems like yesterday. I think I just need for this corvid mess to end and I need to get out of house for a bit. Am going to try to get out tomorrow for a while. Maybe pickup granddaughter and go to lunch or something also. 

Trying to catch up on so much housework that I had not been able to do in over a year. Dust is everywhere I turn. So now I just keep a dust rag and the furniture polish on a table and as I see dust, I get to it right then.  Got to dust under the bed in small bedroom as well.  I feel so unorganized right now that it seems like I am just jumping from one project to another before finishing the first one I started. Just can't keep my mind on one project at a time right now for some reason. But I will get there.  I think part of it is that there are things I had been wanting to do for a long time and now that I can do it, I forgot just how I wanted to do it and feel as though I am starting over on those projects as to how I wanted to go about it.  But it will get done at some point in time. I am thinking when the weather warms up and I can open windows, I will feel more like getting these things done one room at a time. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Though it has only been 3 weeks since Dh's passing, sometimes it seems like yesterday.

:hug3:   Hon.....it IS like it was just "yesterday".  You're okay.  What you're describing....being more "scattered" than you are usually.......it's the grieving process.  It's also a bit of shock which will fade with a bit more time.  The grieving will take longer, of course.  We experienced the shock aspect after being evacuated for weeks from a wildfire years ago.  I couldn't believe how disorganized my brain felt initially.  Frustrating but getting upset with one's self is very contra-productive. 

Try to give yourself a break and simply go with the flow.  Whatever you can do...do.  What you can't...  :shrug:  ....then don't.  Do the necessities and anything that will give you ease of mind or a bit of pleasure.  If sorting out a shelf gives you satisfaction, then go for it.  But save larger/harder projects for a later time.  And yes, despite COVID, try to get out among others [safely] and communicate with loved ones daily. 

MtRider  :pray:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

DH is going to send paper checks from now on.  Not sure it THAT will go thru but having a canceled check will stop the:  Yes it's paid/Now it's not.  :scratchhead:  :gaah: 

If your bank is anything like mine, you will not get your cancelled paper checks back with your paper statement (if you receive one). BUT - you can check your account online daily, and as soon as you see that the check has been processed you can bring up an image of the canceled check and print it off if you need a hard copy. 

• Like 5

We get photocopies of each check along with the monthly bank statement. I never did sign up for online banking for our personal account.  Our Internet is so unstable and we have power outages often. Not so many as in the past though, thankfully.

• Like 4

I don't do online banking either.  I have a set up that the company can get paid directly through the bank. I don't have to do anything  as it is automatic. That is the way we had our health insurance set up. Now I have my charter bill set up that way as the mail kept loosing the bill and we didn't get it half the time. Everything else I send by mail and if a bill is lost in the mail or they say they didn't receive it when I see the check hit the bank. I can call bank and they will give me a hard copy. I would then send a copy of the hard copy to the company that said they didn't get paid and that settles it. I no longer trust the mail either as half the time they are not delivering the mail. We might go 2 to 4 days and get nothing and then we get a box full of mail. We no longer get copies of our checks with our statements but as long as I can get a hard copy if needed I am ok with that. 

• Like 2

Got the counters cleaned off and things put away.  Ordered a microwave stand for the small oven. That will get that off the counter and give me more counter space. Dh and I had talked about a small island for the kitchen as it is a small U shaped kitchen. No table as that is on den side of the kitchen. Kitchen is not big enough for a table. But I can get a small island in it. So will be looking into one I like a bit later when things start to calm down.  Can't sleep again tonight. I am tired but can't sleep. I guess I just have to much on my mind these past 2 or 3 days. Still working on paperwork and such as a couple of more things came in for me to fill out and I am just not in the mood to do it. Will get to it maybe in a couple of days. Tomorrow I am going to bank and to Lowe's to get the parts I need for the grill. SIL is going to fix it when they come back down next week. I have gotten the den furniture back in place from where I had to move it around for Dh to be able to get around with walker and rollator.  I had moved some  things in living room around a little to make him a path for walking around the house before he got down to where he couldn't walk any longer, so that is all back in place again as well. Still have to put the bed frame back together, but that will be done at a later time. Not sure I want to use that bed as we had the bed that raises up and down sitting inside that bedframe and the bed with a regular mattress and box springs sits up rather high. So might just leave it like it is without a bedframe. Easier for me to get in and out of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only automatic banking I do is in Indiana. My S.S. check is deposited there, and my utilities and insurance is deducted. I have a separate mortgage account that gets deducted from too. If I'm going to default on something I don't want it to be the mortgage. I can transfer money from the checking to the mortgage account online. My S.S. covers all of my auto payments except the mortgage. When I get enough extra built up in that account I transfer it to the mortgage account. Sheesh. I sound like some high roller money mogul. :24:   More like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Point is, if I had to rely on getting a bill from there and sending back a check through the mail, I'm sure it would be late most of the time. 

I can't believe I still have a head/neck ache. Enough already. To top it off I think I'm getting an earache. I put some peroxide in it.  I have some sweet oil l will  try tomorrow too. Right now it sounds like a bowl of rice crispies in there. Snap, Crackle, Pop.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

We've been laying a new vinyl plank floor in the lower level. It's finally coming together after the flood two years ago. If I hadn't asked for three new window openings through the 12" concrete block walls, we would have been finished by now.  :laughkick:  The only down side is the Sandhill Cranes in the summertime. The father gets mad if there isn't enough corn near the oak stump. He comes up to the window and pecks in it. We had to take off the screens last year. Then the father crane disappeared.   :wave: The rest of the family was very calm throughout the rest of the summer. Our friends who run the crane foundation said the family will be back with a new father this year.  :0327:

Today, we go and dig the seed-starting shelves and lighting out of the storage unit my mom is renting. Many of the seeds have to be started within the next several weeks. It was the huge motivator to get the floor/walls finished around the unit. It will remain in place for about 4 months, AND I WANT TO ENTERTAIN FRIENDS ONCE AGAIN AT MY HOUSE.  I want the remodeling project finished.   :grouphug:  Besides, DH goes in for extensive corrective surgery on his thumb and will be out of commission for 6-8 weeks.   :hug3:

• Like 5

Good morning!

Barely slept last night.  I know it is just stress and grief.
Will walk first, as usual.
Write Sunday School announcement to put on Church page of Facebook.
Call acupuncture offices for prices and possible appointment.
Call mortuary in UT and pay for little brother's cremation.
DH and I are going to put together the 2 burner propane cooker--finally and hopefully. LOL
Make a few family phone calls.
Find a tote for winter clothes to clean out closet.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1