MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Last fall I had two different realtors from Indy call me about the house. They both said they were interested and had people in mind for it. That's when I decided to get the landscaping done no later than this year. One I missed his call and the other went directly to voice mail. They both left a message and that was the end of that. I never answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the name or number. It's usually a scam call. The answering machine picks it up and if it's important they can leave a message or hang up. 

Skip forward to this spring. Sigh. This one woman has called me six (6) times within the last week. Yesterday she called me three times. As I said, I don't answer my phone so she leaves a message. She always starts out by saying. "I'm not a realtor. I'm just a regular person..." Then gives me her name and phone number. I never call her back. She is becoming annoying. 

Today she left a message saying she really needs a house. Something about a sale they had fall through  :blah:.  Take a hint woman. I'm not responding to you for a reason. It isn't like my house is the only house in the county. Go for one that is actually for sale and save yourself the time you are wasting on me. Anyway, she said they would like to rent it, rent to own, buy it with no realtors commission to pay, or we can do a, get this...do a quick sale on it. Then she said, "I'm really in a mess and very desperate." 

I looked up her name and number etc. online They have a nice house. It's under two different names. His and hers? And it isn't for sale. I don't know the story and I'm not nosy enough to return any of her calls. I assume it's either a divorce or they want to do a flip and make money on it. 

I'm not sure how she got my information. Probably the same way I got hers. Online. If she call again I might have to actually answer the phone and tell her to stop it. Hopefully she will take the hint. Maybe do a driveby and see work being done. 

Landscaper called and wants to do my mowing this summer. That's what I have a son and a mower for. :pout:

Hopefully it will be a dry hot summer so a lot of mowing won't be needed. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Prayers going out for your mom to be better and she gets to the cardio doc. soon.  

Mt. Rider glad to know you are doing better also. 

It is 12:45 here and I am wide awake. Been working on the food still. getting more boxed food together to take to church.  I am only keeping so much and the rest goes. Know way one person can eat all that and now that daughter is in N. Carolina and Grandson has moved to Washington to live with his sister and her husband. They won't be raiding my pantry anymore. So no need to keep all that food. And since our church is feeding at least 40 to 45 families that need it. I would rather donate it to them.  I will still have plenty. But I think 6 months to maybe a year's worth will be more than enough. I'll have it to keep me out of grocery stores for at least 3 months at a time. 

Been texting with granddaughter from CA, granddaughter and granddaughter from Washington this evening. Nothing like all three at one time. That was interesting.   Grandson started first day of his new job today. He really liked it but not what he really wants to do. Medical equipment that he has to assemble. So tools he's not used to but he will learn. He has another interview on Friday that is more what he was doing here. And a lot more pay. So hoping that will pan out since he really needs to get a car at some point. He was using his mother's old car, but to expensive to ship out there. His sister will help him with a car. 

• Like 3

Yesterday, walked first and walked dogs.
Went to insurance appointment for dental and vision insurance.
Went to local grocery for sales.
Stopped at thrift stores--nothing of note.
Made more caramel apple cobblers to distribute Friday morning.
Cut up and added sugar to some strawberries I was given.

Today, walked first.
Made copies of insurance policy.
Cleaned bathrooms and washed rugs.
Swept house.
In a bit we will go to my Orthopedic appointment.
Stop at Walmart in bigger town for a couple of items.
Thrift store and get home!
Will probably do eBay photos later this afternoon.

Side note--Every time I use the weed eater, the position I have to hold my thumb in relaxes the trigger thumb--for about 10 minutes. I will let the doc know this afternoon. Not sure if it will help.

• Like 3

Jeepers!  Oh my !  Your house looks wonderful!  You got that Lady. Ignore the “I wanna buy” calls. We’ve been here for over 38 years & those calls come in daily. Theives, scammers & flippers, can bite me.  Not gonna sell..... unless they wanna give me a couple million.  :008Laughing:Not gonna happen, ever!  :24:

Mom is doing better then I expected.  We went to Canyon lake yesterday.  I fed 2 ducks, mallards, bread from my egg McMuffin.  Before they were done, 8 more ducks flew in.  Sorry... that’s all I had. But... he named them, Sampson & Delia.  Lol. They stayed by our picnic table all day.  

8398F639-0890-4F41-9477-3D64FD9FE7E5.jpeg

I caught a sun fish, put it on the stringer.  DH came over and threw out his line, no bobber, then walked away, his line started going under, I grabbed it, tugged, it wouldn’t reel in, then went slack... I caught a 2 lb piece of wood.  Lol. So... I got my other pole, with cast bait, tossed it out & caught the reeds, loosing the caster.  Got my polarized sunglasses and found it. Sigh.  Then, my bobber went under, tugged & the line went slack, snipped off by a turtle... that happened twice.  Lol.  Then, I went up to check on DH, when I went back, a grackle had pulled my sun fish out of the water & ate it’s eye & heart!!!  Freeking birds.  The ducks joined in the feeding frenzy. Sigh.

Then, I went to cast my bobber & caught the tree branches above me...so... I caught a log, a fish, a reed and a tree.    :008Laughing:But... I had a day away for the first time in 6 months!  Sigh.  

and... ppl wearing masks out in the wide open area..... I have no idea whatsoever. :shakinghead:

Here is where we were at.... marked in red...

4FFC2FBE-9431-4791-9C3F-6194813D8161.jpeg

DH’s fishing spot....

67B09CEA-12F3-45D8-9E7F-4BD5656C17CF.jpeg

...and mine, under the tree that ate my bobber & line...

463A77B7-A588-4E28-A402-09A6E087C7CF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

No fish to bring home but sounds like a fun day, Annarchy!   And a beautiful location.  :) 

Miki..... ??  Ya never know what odd type of therapy might help your finger, right?  :pray:    Look at me and the inexplicable horse affect! 

.....speaking of which.....     :bounce:     The horse place called......I'm on the schedule for Saturday!  :bounce:     Good, cuz I began to have piercing hip pain again the night before last.  OW!  But ....the effects first ride lasted several days.  I see my doc tomorrow....she'll be pleased with this report.  Not sure if she knows how the horse helps reset the functioning that the MS fouls up.....but..  :shrug:    This is GOOD for me!  In the midst of all the rest of our lives-with-tough-choices....this helps my health!  :amen:  

MtRider  :happy0203:  

• Like 3

What cute ducks! I'll bet there will be some little feets paddling water soon.  :wub:

I don't mean to laugh at your fishing story but I could just see it happening. The nerve!

That area is so beautiful. I'm glad you have such a nice place to unwind. Also glad Mom is settling in nicely.

Miki, you could run circles around me. Hope your doctor appointment went well.

I think the horse therapy is wonderful. I wonder if whatever insurance you have (I can't remember all the initials) would help cover some of the cost? It is therapy. BTW, how are your folks doing with their health?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We got up to the mid 80's today! Had a little evening rain.

And I just noticed that I didn't have a headache all day. Not that the two are connected. It's odd that when I have a headache it's a killer and I'm miserable. But when it stops hurting I don't even notice. That's gratitude for ya. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

No fish to bring home but sounds like a fun day, Annarchy!   And a beautiful location.  :) 

Miki..... ??  Ya never know what odd type of therapy might help your finger, right?  :pray:    Look at me and the inexplicable horse affect! 

.....speaking of which.....     :bounce:     The horse place called......I'm on the schedule for Saturday!  :bounce:     Good, cuz I began to have piercing hip pain again the night before last.  OW!  But ....the effects first ride lasted several days.  I see my doc tomorrow....she'll be pleased with this report.  Not sure if she knows how the horse helps reset the functioning that the MS fouls up.....but..  :shrug:    This is GOOD for me!  In the midst of all the rest of our lives-with-tough-choices....this helps my health!  :amen:  

MtRider  :happy0203:  

We have a friend with Parkinson disease. After bike riding his shakes go away for hours. His doctor had suggested it and it has really helped.  

• Like 3

Wow!  Fishing trips are great and even better when you catch something other than logs. :)  It is also so relaxing.  I haven't been fishing in at least 3 years.  Fishing poles might be calling my name.  

Annarchy, glad to know your mom is doing better. Love the ducks, I think they are waiting for more food. 

My neighbor called me over her house this afternoon.  She found a baby rabbit.  She had it in a cooler for the time being because of the dogs. Hoping she will call someone to take it and take care of it till it can be released. 

Still going through all the food in house. Will have more going to the church food ministry.  I am so glad to unload all this food. I am only keeping enough to get me through a few months. I think that should do me. So pantries are getting a great clean out.  At least what is going to church this time is not near as much and mostly boxed items. The can goods were heavy. But I got it out of here and unloaded at church. Got all the oldest foods in kitchen and cabinets cleaned out and all that food put away.

Went to the cemetery this morning to check that they had the plack in correctly. All was good and area was cleaned up and leveled off. Now for the grass to grow. Need to call the cemetery office about the in law's plack. Though I never knew them, I would like to put flowers on their grave also. But I can't get the vase out of the ground. So will have the office check into it and fix it. 

Tomorrow will be busy doing the normal housework as daughter and son in law will be coming in this weekend. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

We got up to the mid 80's today

Wait....didn't you just have snow recently?  Are you turning into Colorado Rockies?  :lol:    Glad your headache is gone.  Didn't they use to have a commercial about the lovely moment when people realize the HEADACHE is  :)  gone :)  ?  

MtRider  .....they's serving CAKE at Becca's party, y'all    :laughkick:  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Homesteader said:

We have a friend with Parkinson disease. After bike riding his shakes go away for hours. His doctor had suggested it and it has really helped.  

Yeah....good example, Homesteader.  Love to hear these stories!    How do I explain something that DH explains so much better?  It has something to do with "over-learned" motions.  It hooks up connections in our brain-body where old, known pathways exist. 

For example, a friend's dd has dyslexia.  She's been playing piano for years.  When they homeschooled, if she was getting scrambled, N would have her go play piano for 10 minutes or so.  Then her focus was much better. 

MS...Parkinson....Dyslexia....  NONE of those are related diseases and yet.....there is a common thread:  Doing OVER-LEARNED motions.  In each case, there is some "reverting to better" ....or previous level of functioning. 

No, that's not the end of the story.......cuz I don't think the end of THIS story has been discovered yet.  But...exciting!  :happy0203:  It would be grande if someone is pursuing THIS in research instead of only chemical meds.....  :pray:  

In my case of horse riding, there is an additional factor.  The horse [with the right gait] puts me, and especially my hips, into the same motion as walking.  That's why it's so powerful.  There are vids with a person and a horse/rider walking side by side, away from camera and you can see the similarity.  But when riding, I'm doing that motion WITHOUT WEIGHT BEARING.  :happy0203:   Then I get down and ....Tah Dah!  :hapydancsmil:   

The phrase I often exclaim is:  I know where my legs are!  Hmph!  It doesn't make sense but that's what happens.  Also has to do with resetting the vestibular system - part of balance.  'Nother topic.

Even all that does not totally explain it so that doctors would understand in THEIR LINGO AND TRAINING.  :shrug:   As DH once said:  It doesn't matter.  For her, it works!

MtRider  ..... I get to RIDE in 2 days.....I "get my legs back" in 2 days!  :bounce: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is an exercise type of machine you can get that simulates riding a horse for those who don't have access to a horse. They say it has something to do with your core muscles or something like that. 

Yep, we had about 2 inches of snow last week. We are liable to get it again. Plants aren't safe outside until after Mother's Day.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

There is an exercise type of machine you can get that simulates riding a horse for those who don't have access to a horse. They say it has something to do with your core muscles or something like that. 

Yep, we had about 2 inches of snow last week. We are liable to get it again. Plants aren't safe outside until after Mother's Day.

My brain is picturing a mechanical bull.  I'm pretty certain that is NOT what you're talking about!

• Haha 6

We've seriously considered that horsie device.  Looked it up about a decade ago.  It cost $2K then.....  :faint3:    But IF it worked for my weird stuff,  it would cost less than horse care.  Think I could get medicare to pay for it?  I'd need a "test drive".... AND....it wouldn't fit ANYWHERE in this tiny cabin.  :shrug:   One day.....it still is a possibility ...like when I'm 90?

:gaah:    So frustrating!  I went to doc appt today....and it went fine.  Trying to work with my suddenly-MEGA-sinus/breathing/swallowing problem that began in 2020.  Toward the end of appointment, I'm getting STUPID.  Can't think!  Keep "dropping the plot"!!!!

Didn't figure out til after doc left ...DH and I tried to walk back to receptionist.....  I couldn't walk. 

DRAT!  First HEAT MELTDOWN in ....a very long time.  The exam room was normal for other people and WAY too hot for me.  But neither DH or I noticed until I nearly collapsed in the hall.  Someone got me a wheelchair quick.  Then I could focus enough to tell 3 worried faces....  " It's just hyperthermia"....as I dug out my gel and ice packs.  [ I use the term 'hyperthermia'  or 'heat meltdown' because the First Aid term "Heat Stroke" sounds so much worse.  They are the same. 

Year 'round I carry that small pack.  In hot weather, we carry also a very large set with the ice pack sandwiched between 2 gel packs.  Keeps the gel packs cold.  As soon as I had my discharge notes and the next appt......and got me outside, it was blessedly CHILLY! 

Planned to help DH grocery shop for us and folks but he had to drop me off with folks to finish cooling while he shopped.  My mom and I chatted with door and windows open.....it's chilly outside but it takes a while to get me stable .....and fully coherent!  :sassing:  I also ate an ice cream bar!  FINALLY.... I felt normal and noticed how blurry my thinking had been.   DRAT!  I don't think I've had a fully coherent conversation with this doc yet!!  :buttercup:  

At least we caught it before it got to the [ not-seizure ] massive contraction of muscles.  That....is not fun!  :grinning-smiley-044: 

I'm a bit concerned that heat meltdowns are starting so early but....this was an interior temperature.  With that, I can do a heat meltdown in January!  :knary:    Tomorrow afternoon, I'm riding.  PRAY I do not overheat on the ride.....supposed to be in the high 50's so I should be ok.  :gaah: 

MtRider  .....I'm supposed to carry my inhaler now too....but I don't have asthma!  :amen: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Sorry you had a rough dr. visit.  Glad you were able to get it stopped before you went into total meltdown. Summer isn't my best friend either. Heat inside doesn't bother me so much. Regardless of the temp inside, if I have a fan I'm fine. It's a different story outside though. Maybe it has to do with humidity and the air being close?    

Son and DIL stopped by the house today. I hadn't mentioned to him that I was calling the landscaper. It happened too fast. LOL. They were surprised. He said it looks fantastic. Comparatively, it about has to. They even cleaned out the garden area and around the grapes. Lawn guy put those stake things through the weed barrier for me. It might be standard. I don't know. But I'm so tired of fighting, and losing, the battle with weeds every place I've ever lived. 

I was looking at the shopping list on my cell phone and I nodded off. When I came to my thumb was on the 'back' button and I had erased the entire list. It was a running list so I can't remember half of what was on it.  Sigh.  Bread, milk, eggs... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

But I'm so tired of fighting, and losing, the battle with weeds every place I've ever lived.

Do some research on Preen. It's in pellet form and can be spread over mulch, chips, etc. Some formulas are for gardens and some for landscaping. It will save you on sanity. Lowes and Home Depot sell it. I'm sure Wally World also has it but I stopped buying there when the plague started.  :grinning-smiley-044:  There will always be seeds flying in and eventually germinating to start the weed pulling process all over again. I learned that in one of my master gardener classes and used Preen in Indiana. I kept my sanity and sold the place the first day the For Sale sign was up. Good landscaping is street candy.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:sSig_thankyou:  I will absolutely buy some preen and use it as a preventive measure. I had forgotten about flying seeds and bird carriers too. My plan of attack was from under ground. I'll be adding above ground to my arsenal. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I was looking at the shopping list on my cell phone and I nodded off. When I came to my thumb was on the 'back' button and I had erased the entire list. It was a running list so I can't remember half of what was on it.  Sigh.  Bread, milk, eggs... :rolleyes:

I've done that before. The very first time was many many years ago when we got our first computer. I was using WordPerfect and dozed off with my finger on the "Enter" key. I created close to 50 blank pages that I had to delete before I could resume whatever it was that I was working on at the time! :0327:

In your case, since it involved the "Back" button, you may have been able to recover what you deleted by using CTRL + Z (undo previous action). Try it the next time it happens! ;)

• Like 4

I didn't even know my cell phone has a back button. 

I've been playing a game that came with it. To continue you need to put in a user name. Problem is, when that screen pops up, there is no keyboard. I've hit every button on there and I still can't get the keyboard to pop up. After about 24 hours it lets me play a few more games then back to wanting name. The good thing is it governs how much time I waste on that game. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, glad your ds and dil reported the gardener's work looked so good!  Nice to have eye witness confirmation.

Wow...today was another PERFECT day for :balloons:   RIDING!  :bounce:    Ahhhh, it was wonderful.  Same trail.  Same ....  :0327: ....after about 40 minutes into the HOUR ride.  It's working muscles as well as resetting nervous system stuff.  

Did I mention that before we began the ride last week, I said the stirrups were fine while the gal checking thot they were uneven?  Later on that ride....after 20 or 30 minutes, I was VERY aware that they were VERY uneven - as she'd said.  The question was:  WHY...HOW...could I feel like they were fine?????   :scratchhead:  

The key to the answer was in how long it took for me to FEEL it was uneven.....20-30 minutes.  That's EXACTLY how long DH and I have always said I need to ride to reset my proprioception.    [ QUOTE from Wikipedia:  Proprioception, also referred to as kinaesthesia, is the sense of self-movement and body position. It is sometimes described as the "sixth sense". ]   :happy0203: 

Proves what we've observed all along.  Once I'd ridden a bit, I could then perceive WHERE my feet/legs were exactly and then it was obvious that the stirrups were drastically uneven.  I told the lead gal about it this week.  I also said.... "I'm not sayin' nothin' this week.  You can set them where they should go!!!"  :lol:   She said she thot it was weird that I thot they felt right.  ......"yep, that's why I'm here!"

We did have a bit of excitement at the tail end of today's ride.  Somewhere close to us on the big property, someone suddenly shot a .22 rifle.  ALL the horses......and riders.....startled!!!  Horses are "prey" creatures and thus....first instinct is RUN!  Or at least jump around like a ninny!  :lol:  Actually they tend to spin around - looking for the danger.  All of us controlled our mounts quite well.  Despite the SURPRISE, no one came off and no horse ran into/thru the fence we were riding next to.  That was my first instinct....turn Red away from fence.   Well, that and GRAB THE SADDLE HORN.  Cuz I was getting sore, I think my feet were out of the stirrups right when that happened.  :busted:   AND since it was the end of ride....I know I wasn't paying as much attention as when I start out.  By then we're tired and ...nearly back to the start point.  BANG!.....  BANG! BANG!  Our leader is yelling:  We're over here on horses!   That stopped whatever was going on.  :rolleyes:  

MtRider   .....oye!  What a workout!  But......  :hapydancsmil:  :balloons:   :wub:    :happy0203: 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Jeepers said:

CORRECTION

It wasn't the back button. It was the button that erases one letter at a time. It erased each letter at a time all the way to the top. 

• Sad 2
13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

CORRECTION

It wasn't the back button. It was the button that erases one letter at a time. It erased each letter at a time all the way to the top. 

I'm not familiar with smart phones cause I don't own one, but, now that I think about it, I don't believe it has a CTRL key and any other similarly functioning buttons such as you've find on a PC. :shakinghead:

• Like 2

I've been playing a game that came with it. To continue you need to put in a user name. Problem is, when that screen pops up, there is no keyboard. I've hit every button on there and I still can't get the keyboard to pop up. After about 24 hours it lets me play a few more games then back to wanting name. The good thing is it governs how much time I waste on that game

• Like 2

Played hooky today.  Been shut up for 2 days (rain) so I did some water bath canning yesterday and the day before.  Was gifted with 2 bags of apples and 2 bags of Anjoe (?) pears (they are WONDERFUL!) We'll be eating them with a dab of ice cream or with a dab of whipped cream.  So today we took the Remington heater and the propane tanks back to the homestead, raided the freezer there for some potato patties I had vacuum sealed and some yogurt.  Back to this "little house" then into the van and off to the state park for a nice walk.  Did get jeans all washed and hung out to dry this morning before we took off and they were dry by supper.  Got them all folded and put away.  Funny how when jeans line dry you don't need any starch!  They're wonderfully sized and ez to smooth out.

We found some wonderful things for our Abby-girl and the storm thing. Hemp Joint Health that we bought at Menards.  Has a pain reliever in it which makes her "feel good" and also bought a bottle of the spray that they spray on a pad inside of a thunder coat.  We just spray a small patch on her shoulder and it's really good!  She did some pacing but not the whinning, slobbering and trying to dig under everything in sight.  So happy because it's that time of year!

Jeepers, looks like you've got a good thing going with the new "look" from your landscaper.  I don't use stuff like Preem because of our garden etc, and Abby-girl.  She'll be free-ranging in the former garden area.  One of the biggest reasons I want her to have free access is so I can just let her out the back door at the homestead, right under the metal canopy and on out to the yard she can go.  

Little Sister...sounds like you're making a lot of progress at your own pace! Good girl!

MtnR...it's a really good thing that you're able to find a way to get you "back on your feet".  Keep it up!

Kappy,..where in the world do you find time to keep track of all those fur babies! LOL

The weather in this area can't seem to make up it's mind ... is it spring or fall?  I pulled a lot of Hensbit out of Abby's small yard here.  When it blooms the bees etc., like it and she's terrified of anything that goes "buzzzz"!  The wild violets are blooming like crazy at the homestead so I may pick a bowl full to make some jelly.  I am really careful of where I pick anything that I plan to eat!  So I usually only do it from the back garden area. 

Eleven of the Elderberry starts took and are about a foot or so tall.  The big plant is throwing out branches like crazy.

The Comfrey is looking great.  I'll split the mother plant once again to give a start to a friend and transplant the rest back to the garden area where the other plant is doing so great. 

We have a lot of asparagus spears up, about the size of my forefinger but I want to leave them alone and let them go to seed again this year.  They seem to like it where they're at.  

Planning to use the propane weed burner to burn out the Dock.  That stuff is crazy!  Wish we would never have let it get started.  I'll wait for my Echinacea to come up and transplant it to the garden area as well as a couple of other flowering plants.

The Chives always do their thing...LOL  The Egyptian walking onions are sprouting up.  I may go take some of the tops off and get them on the dehydrator.  But not in the house! LOL

The Thyme isn't up yet, the peppermint is up, the catnip is showing a few little sprouts, and the Wooly Lambs Ear looks like it wants to start livening up.  The Mullein plant that I put in a container last year looks droopy, but looks like it survived.  I want to harvest seeds this year so I can put it where I want it. 

The Wild Lettuce...well...it's like Lambs Quarter...you never know where it will sprout up.  We love the Lambs Quarter for eating, but try to keep it corraled.

Did take a trip to one of the largest swap and shops in our state a week ago and walked our legs off.  Almost 23 acres.  Abby-girl and I were truly dragging butt by the time we got back to our van.  Hubby...he just pulled our little canvas wagon while we trailed along behind him! LOL

Went to one of our favorite Amish stores and stocked up on more jars and two bags of the "button" top lids...the kind they use in European countries (?).  When you see Amish jars of jams, honey, beets etc., they use them.  I started using them some time ago and love them.  I use the "open kettle" for my water bath canning and the "high pressure" for my other stuff...just not for meats.  Just got so tired of the "lid" hunt!  I have a good stock of Tattler's but I would like to order a big bulk amount of the Harvest Guard brand...they're cheaper.

I've gotten the dollars set back for the green house materials (I hope enough) so we'll be trying to get it planned out and purchased before materials go even higher than they are.  It won't be a sticks and bricks type of thing for the time being...maybe later.

Well friends and neighbors...waving a hello and praying each of you stay healthy, safe and happy!  Hugs!!!\

• Like 3