MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I had some errands to run this evening. I stopped in the grocery store for a couple of things. I was too tired to nose around. Fruit and veg was very well stocked. It always has been though. 

Usually when I have a lot of errands I stop by Burger King and get a vanilla coke to sip on. My mouth gets so dry. Those masks don't help either. Any way, I drove up to the speaker thing and there was a note on it. It said that they were closed because they had no staff to work and to try again tomorrow. Everywhere I look I see help wanted sighs. I guess if we continue to pay people to not work...they won't.  

That was about 7:00 pm so I guess they missed the supper crowd. I don't know if they were open at all today. Their hours are from 5:00 am to 1:00 am. That's a lot of hours to miss. We are in a mess. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Everywhere I look I see help wanted sighs.

Hmmm...typo or Freudian slip? 

:shrug:   We are in a mess in so many ways.  Glad we aren't a small business right now.

MtRider  .....  Sunshine and melting snow today.  B)

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Walked first and walked dogs this morning.
DH ordered a fuel pump for his jeep, so he will go get that this afternoon for the mechanic to install.
Made sugar free pudding and jello for desserts.
Took eBay photos.
Still need to oven dehydrate sweet potato slices for dog treats.

Hoping to have a car to drive again tomorrow!

You all have a good day!

• Like 2

Made it to Montana.  Brother, SIL & kiddos are happy I’m here.  Other brothers are already giving me crap for coming here first.  Nerds!  But they don’t visit me!

Weather sucked!  Snow, lots of snow in CO.  Rain, lots of rain in WY, and a fire.  Rain, rain, and more rain in MT.  

Thank God for GPS or I’d never gotten here.  

:offtobed:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for checking in, Annarchy.  Ya know it's illegal to complain about any form of moisture in the Western half of the country....right?  :lol: 

Have a great family time!

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Haha 4

In a similar vein........  :hapydancsmil:  IT'S RAINING in COLORADO!  :cloud9:   ....as in Moisture of the Clear Liquid/not White variety!  :lois:  

Went to visit my mom/brother last nite.   I very nearly fell asleep over the pizza.  Lay down in the car going home.  Sheeesh!  :unsure:  Shows my stamina is still low.  :buttercup:  

Hope to RIDE on Saturday.....then probably move back in with my mom.  Bro is going back East for a Cannot Miss meeting with his work.  He'll return in a couple weeks to finish out some things.  Costs me in LOTS of energy.  Costs him in LOTS of $$$.  :shrug:  What can you do?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Sad 4

Baby brother took me to see the local museum.  Here, they have the Makoshika State park, he says is huge, over 11,000 acres, however, they find dinosaur bones in the area. The museum sponsors local fossil digs in the badlands.  The museum is set in the context of Biblical history.  

T-Rex…. (A person on the stairs, for scale)

5250539F-8CDD-4D72-9A17-4FCED3A3D7FA.jpeg

And the most interesting part, for me, was the Bible room.  
51DE13CA-2491-4F32-8B3F-24BA053ECB0B.jpeg

D851F98B-D946-48D6-B79F-FF7E451FAF37.jpeg

then,

AFF375DC-7A81-444F-9240-E394FF0F1248.jpeg

61843C76-E671-4867-9448-3FE421A5C245.jpeg

The have several very very old versions also, one in Latin from the 1700’s and a couple older than that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Years ago DH and I took my folks to a traveling exhibit in the city.  It had a lot of O.T. scrolls and the speaker told a lot of history/stories.  Even had some dead sea scroll fragments.  Had some old Bibles with O.T. and N. T. ....early printings in English translations.  People died for those translations. 

The writing is so VERY precise.  I took Hebrew language for a year ...long ago.  I learned the Hebrew alphabet....and yes, it's written and read from Right to Left.  Made learning the language multiple times more difficult!  But very interesting!!

MtRider  ....very neat to see your pics, Annarchy.  Having fun, I see.  :amen: 

• Thanks 1

Love the pics Annarchy. I would love to go visit that place some day.

It has been a while since I have been on.  Ii am doing a bit better with good days and bad days as well as been very busy trying to get things done around house. I am very much trying to down size the house and did away with my office which is also one of the bedrooms. I am trying to turn it into a guest bedroom with 4 grand children living on west coast and daughter and son in law in NC.  And another granddaughter leaving for SC next year for medical school. They all come here to stay so I need the bedrooms to be bedrooms again. Grandkids will be here in August for other granddaughter's wedding and they plan on staying here with me. Daughter said they will stay in hotel on that trip since I will have at least 3 grandchildren staying here.

I was so sad to hear about Momo.  I know full well what she is going through.  Prayers go out to her. 

I had promised Dh a garden this year after he wanted me to do one last year, but was unable to plant one and take care of him also. So I kept my promise to him and I have planted a garden this year. His cousin that owns the market said to bring anything I can't use and he is going to buy it to sell in store. So that will give me a little bit of an income. The garden so far even with the cooler nights is doing really well. Already have some cherry tomatoes forming as well as the blueberry bushes are full of blueberries but not ripe yet. Dh is surely looking down over his garden. 

I see I have a lot of catching up and reading to do and will try to catch up as I can. Seems everyone has been busy and has had some snowy weather. But I will catch up on it all as I can. DD and SIL did not get to come in this weekend because of the gas situation and it caught me off guard. Something I usually don't let happen. But I was able to find gas and top off. And i still have half a gas can in shed that I will put in tank just to get it used up next time.  Don't know if Dh had put the stuff in it to prolong it. But SIL put some of it in tiller when he picked it up and it started up. So it is still good. But I will go ahead and put in car when it gets down to half a tank again. 

Right now my house is still a mess as I pack up things from the china hutch so it can be moved out of way for the floor to be jacked up and the floor boards that broke under it can be replaced. Granddaughter's boyfriend is going to come over and help me get that moved when the time comes as well as help me get some bedroom furniture moved around to the other bedroom. I do have the living room and dining room back together again but will have to move furniture when I get the floor jacked up. Just don't feel like dealing with getting that done right now. Once that is done though I will then turn my attention to the fireplace. I have been told I should get gas logs but I am thinking for hard times coming down the road to keep it a wood burning fireplace since I have an outlet to get all the firewood I want. Once I get that fixed, I will have a couple of cords of wood delivered for next winter. 

Momo if at anytime you want to chat just shoot me a message. Maybe we can help each other to heal.  

• Like 8

:hug3:   LittleSister!  So glad to see your post and update.  We've been praying for you during this hard hard time.  :pray:  

Okay, folks.....tomorrow I move back in with my mom.  Means that unless we come up with some way to get me Internet, I'll be absent again.  This time....nothing new should be happening.  :unsure:   Just keeping my mom company.  Setting up some senior services for her.  Things like that.  So tempted to drive my old truck in there....feels real weird to not have any transportation.  Even if I rarely drive. 

MtRider ....signing off for a while.  :wave: 

• Like 5

Mt. Rider, I am still praying for your parents. Take care and you can join me in trying to catch up on everything. Though It is going to be a lot of reading for me to catch up. I have missed a lot. Haven't had a chance to start reading the older post yet, but will get to it as time permits. Hope everyone is doing well. I know with spring everyone is busy with gardens. 

I think I have a neighbor problem and not sure how to take him yet.  This guy that lives down the street that I don't know him or his wife about 3 years ago for some reason started taking my trashcans in for us. Dh was not that bad off then and was outside a lot. Then he stopped doing it. I did not know who it was till about a year ago and when I saw him, I thanked him for bringing them in. Though I never knew why he was doing it.  He walks the neighborhood twice a day almost everyday and just waves if we were outside.  He did not know about Dh being ill as I had never talked to him.  Now for the issue.  Since Dh has passed this guy just walks up in the yard and starts talking and he is never with his wife. They don't walk together. I was outside the first time cleaning out the garden shed and he comes out of no where, walks into the shed and starts checking things out and then comments on how much bigger his shed is than mine. I just said I wouldn't know as I have never seen his shed. He didn't see all the lawnmowers, tiller, etc. that was in there as my son in law had already gotten those out and took them home. But my electric tiller was in there. He was looking at everything.  I walked out of the shed and said I need to get cleaned up and started shutting the doors so he left.  A few days later I was sitting outside in swing and here he comes. Then a couple of days ago he is here again. This time he said he was making barbeque and was going to bring me some later that afternoon. I thanked him and then later here he comes but this time he drove up in driveway and I did not see him drive up. My driveway is in back of house. He didn't knock on back door but I saw him walk past the door and go all the way around the house to front door and rang the bell. When I opened the door and he gave me the barbeque, I thanked him for it and then he started with how many bedrooms do you have, and oh, I see you have a fireplace. I didn't let him in house but he could see the fireplace from front door. I just looked at him and said most all these houses here have fireplaces. But the red flag had gone up when he wanted to know how many bedrooms I had. This man was nice in his talking to me but I am not sure of his game. Today I was outside planting flowers and here he comes again. During the time that Dh was so ill, not once did he offer to bring in the trashcans. I don't even know how he found out that Dh passed away other than a neighbor that knows him told him about it.  I need to clean out the other shed but now am afraid to even open that door. I have all my canning supplies and emergency supplies in there. I don't want neighbors to be walking up and snooping around while I am going through things. There is a lot of stuff in there I need to pull out and go through for a yard sale this fall but I am thinking a fence is now in order and I don't want to put money into a fence if I decide to sell in a couple of years.

What would you think about someone like this? I don't want to be rude, but I can't have this man walking up on me every time I walk out the door. And I don't want him in my sheds or asking questions about my house. How would any of you handle something like this? Just seems strange that now all of a sudden he wants to come up in yard to talk and never with his wife. 

LS it’s possible he is just a lonely nosy old guy but....  have you looked to see if anything is missing after he was there today?  It’s possible he brought the car and parked it in the back then called you to the front door to keep you occupied while another person does the stealing. That is an old scam.  

Is he and his wife still together?  Perhaps you could tell him you’d like him to bring his wife with him next time he comes as you feel uncomfortable with him being there by himself.  You might even offer to go to meet his wife of course using caution. I would be extremely nervous about him until you find out just what his intent really is.  Ask others in the neighborhood or go online and do a search on him either by name or address.  Might even check with the sex offender registration website. Lots of ways to find out about someone.  

Stay safe, Little Sister. 

• Like 2

Right now from what I remember is that his wife, if they really got married as they did at first move in together. So I am thinking they did get married. This guy looks to be in maybe his early 50's.  She is older.  She sold her house in another city to her son. I do not know if she at that time was devoiced or her Dh passed away.  But she moved here in my neighborhood. She always kept to herself. When she would walk around the block, if I was outside I would say hello to her and she would just turn her head the other way and not speak. So I never said anything to her after a while of saying hello. I am not the only neighbor she is like that to. Now when she walks she does not come down my street and goes around the other block. And she never walks with her husband. I do not know their names.  This guy has never come up into my yard to talk to me or my husband before now. But would say hello when walking the neighborhood.  Now he just walks into the yard when I am working out there. There was no one in the truck as when I shut the door, I went straight to the kitchen window and watched him get in truck and leave so nothing was missing. But am aware of that scam.  I always keep my doors locked. Just something I have always done. But now I also had started closing my garage door when I am outside working. Not because of him but because you never know if someone might walk into the house when you are on other side of house doing yard work. 

He and his wife still live together but I don't know if something is going on with the 2 of them. I am not looking for a boyfriend if that is what he thinks. He should know better than that anyway at my age. It just seems odd that he would come up into the yard to the shed when I was in there working and then yesterday when he bought the barbeque over and wanted to know how many bedrooms I have. I already have one neighbor that told me when and not if I sale my house to let her know that she is going to buy it. That is not happening as she was a real estate person at one time and her sister in law was the mayor and both she and her husband are in real estate. I know that trick all to well. Get me to sell to them cheap and they flip it and make more money off it. Sorry not happening. She wants to buy it, it will be at my price. So many of our good neighbors are gone now, either passed away or in nursing homes. We still have a few elderly living here but the neighborhood has changed a lot.  

I am starting to feel like I can't walk out my door without him showing up.  But I am going to tell him next time he comes over to bring his wife. Though I don't think that will happen. This man got my trashcans in 3 years ago when Dh and I were both able to bring them in but never once did he do that when Dh was sick.  Just makes no sense to me. I have signs up in both front and back yard that says 24 hour surveillance and gives a company name. But they are for deterrence. I also have them on windows and doors.  I am wondering if he walked all the way around the house to see if he could find any cameras. If that is the case, he will soon find out as I am getting ready to have cameras installed. My granddaughter in CA is in cyber security and has told me what and where I need to put them. These are so small, they would be hard to spot. And she would be able to see my house from her computer in CA. So house would be watched both by me and her. 

I can say one thing, these are trying times when you have to be so careful about neighbors, criminals, and what you say to anyone. Things never used to be this way. Makes you wonder what this world is really coming to .   We have this thing now so I have heard that neighbors are suppose to tell on their neighbors if they think they are doing anything. This started with the having to wear a mask if you have family gatherings and such. So they were suppose to call police or something if a neighbor was having a family outing in the back yard and no one wearing a mask. I guess that will come to an end now that we don't have to wear those stupid mask anymore. 

• Like 2

If he is lonely, that's what he has a wife for. I wouldn't invite them over. He might get the idea you want to see more if him, with or without the wife. Maybe he came around back because he didn't want his wife to know he was there. And why is he driving over now. The next time he 'slips' in I'd act startled and look him in the eyes and tell him that's a good way to get shot. Let him know you might be alone but you have protection.

That is definitely creepy behavior. I'll bet he found out from a neighbor. Or maybe happened upon your DH obituary. I'm betting a neighbor though. It's just my opinion but I'll bet anything he has his sights set on a rich widow. Maybe he sees an opportunity to to take advantage of a grieving widow. Was him saying his shed is bigger than yours an invitation for you to store some of your things at his place? It did sound like he was casing the place out. He is too young to be acting that way around older women. Maybe his wife doesn't like women because of his past behavior. Sounds like he has boundary issues. 

He might be innocent, but I'm suspicious of people and I guard my privacy especially now days, so I could be off base. Don't let him mistake your kindness for weakness. He might be too hard to get rid of. Trust your gut instincts. 

My doors are always locked too and I keep my garage door down when I'm in the back yard too. 

I have a cousin who lives in the country. She has a sensor thing that rings when anyone crosses her driveway. Sort of like a doorbell. I think it's attached to the side of their mailbox. That might be an option for you since your driveway is behind the house. 

• Like 2

It could be anything.  You live not that far from me so I will share some of my local insight with my neighbors:

We talk to one or two, but everyone can see us coming and going.  So if we leave or rarely leave or start using wheelchairs or canes  --everyone knows it.  They do not have to actually talk to us to know what is going on because they can see it and we can see the same things about them.   Its possible he stopped helping with trash cans because they had something going on, they didn't know about your issue, or the pandemic.   Your husband passed and that would be known so he might be trying to help because that is a hard thing.  

It isn't unusual for women to shed lawn equipment, tools, or sell houses after such a big life change.  He may be scoping out what he thinks may be coming on the market.  The housing market here is INSANE.  People are bidding 30% over asking because they are getting outbid on every house.  2 of our neighbors sold houses before ever even being officially listed.   DH's coworkers can't find anywhere because they keep being outbid.  We aren't looking to sell, but DH keeps comparing our house to all of our neighbors so he can think about current values.     

On the other hand he could be lonely or nefarious.  who knows?

On a side note.....if you are looking to make money off your house, I seriously doubt the market here will be this much in your favor for at least another 30-40 years.  It is definitely a sellers market and I'm expecting things to plummet within 5 years.  If and when you do choose to sell, the value is at an all time high.  We refinanced and our house appraised for $90K more than what we bought it for in 2016.   We had not done any improvements before it appraised although we did do a few after.  We'd sell up, but DD17 needs to stay in this school district because of all her issues.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

Good to see you back, Littlesister!  I'd be careful of that neighbor, too.  My pepper spray attaches to my hand with a stretchable band.  I would want something so I didn't feel threatened.  

Praying for you and your folks Mt. Rider!

Thursday we got DH's jeep back. Fuel pump and filter was about $140 (we bought it), Installation was $200. It was a pain to do. We still need to get a fuel filter for my jeep. I went to Kroger and bought 5 half gallons of milk and pressure canned them. Tastes great!

Yesterday, I did a video, then cooked for a funeral at Church.
Served meal for family and cleaned up after.
I was tired.

Today, I've pulled the electric blanket off my bed for the year, set our eBay account for "time away" while I go on my trip. DH would have too much trouble printing labels, packing items.

Going to do video in a few minutes.
Go to Sunday School and Curch.
Walk dogs.
Prune roses and maybe plant a few plants I got for free.

• Like 1

euphrasyne,  It is a known fact that in a death of a spouse, never to make rash decisions about anything. I have no plans to  sell my house for at least 2 years. Yes it is a good time to sell but not to buy right now anyway. I have one neighbor that is a nosy person. She is the one that used to work real estate and her sister in law was the mayor of Suffolk and she and her husband are in real estate. So the neighbor told me when and not if I sell my house she is going to buy it. I know that scam all to well. She will try to get me to sell on the cheap and then flip it to make a profit. She barged her way into my house as the rescue squad was coming in. Like to have never got rid of her and practically had to throw her out of the house so I could leave for the ER. 

As for this man,  I don't know him nor his wife. He can see my front yard from his house but not the back yard. He has never come up into my yard before now. And he has asked one to many questions with how many bedrooms do I have and oh you have a fireplace. Well the chimney is no secret. You can see it from the front and back of house over the roof. He also has scoped my house. So he knew I had a chimney before he even came around to the front door. It could be he's looking to buy the house also but will have to fight with the other neighbor for it. But it is other things like when he walked up into the shed and started snooping around. I live on a corner lot and no fence. I am now thinking of looking into the price of a fence for back yard. Maybe if his wife was friendly and they both were coming here at same time, I would not have put my guard up like I have. But it is always just him and she won't speak to hardly any neighbors and goes the other way to walk by herself and no longer comes down my street. I never see the 2 of them together anymore. So if he is lonely and looking for a rich widow, he's out of luck and barking up the wrong tree. Rich I am not, but I do live comfortable.  Anyone could have seen the ramp in my garage and me bringing Dh in and out of house for doctor appts. He may have seen that when he went walking a few times. And the fact that I needed help to get Dh in and out of the car and back into the house even with a ramp. He never offered to help with that. I had friends lined up to help me with that but he did not know that. 

Miki, I do keep my pepper spray with me and in hand when I go off but not at home. I will start keeping that with me. also I do have a concealed weapons permit and I might just start carrying at home when I am outside. Just in case.

Anyway for now I am just going to stay watchful of this guy and start looking to see if his truck is in driveway before I venture outside to do any yard work or clean out that other shed which I am going to figure out how to block view from street so he or anyone else cannot see me dragging things out to go through. I also have another way to leave the neighborhood so he cannot see me leave from that way. Going to start changing up the way I always do things. Hopeful it will discourage him. I do have neighbors that I am friends with and we get together and chat and such, but this guy just pushes his way into my business and I don't like that. Something about this guy. I might talk with one of the neighbors a little to see if she knows anything about him and his wife. Just need to do it in a way that she doesn't think I am just being nosy. 

This is not something I need right now nor is it something I ever thought I would be having to deal with. Though if it keeps up, I might sell in a year instead of maybe selling in 2 years. And with that said, I am going to just keep my guard up and be more watchful of this man. Just seems strange he decides to be so friendly after Dh passes and not before and with a wife that won't even speak to neighbors nor walk the neighborhood with her husband. Just strange and something smells.

• Like 3

Well back on the subject of what I have been doing.  I didn't go to church today as I was so sore this morning when I got up from planting 72 flowers all the way around the boarder of my flower beds, or I should say now garden as the flower beds around the house is like having a raised garden bed. My shoulders are still hurting and I am so tired. My house is still one big mess. I took the other bookcase out of hall and that is now sitting in my bedroom as DD and SIL were coming down to get the desk, their fish tank and other stuff out of here and I had to move the bookcase out of the hallway to be able to get furniture moved around and out of the bedroom doors. I now have the headboard of my bed that I had to take down for DH in what was my office. I am trying to turn that room into a guest bedroom as my grandkids and DD and SIL stay with me when they all come in. So I need those bedrooms to be bedrooms again. So sewing machine will stay in dinning room. Which is where I had it when the kids were still living at home. And it works and I have better light under dinning room window. The living room and dinning room are all back together and clean.  Since the kids could not come in this weekend due to the gasoline shortage, I am now at a standstill. Can't move the furniture on my own unless it is the light stuff. I am thinking of putting the book case in den as it matches the tables and stuff in there anyway. So might be thinking about that instead of putting it back into the hallway. Hoping the gas situation is getting better. I haven't really been keeping up on it much like I need to. But from my understanding some of the gas stations are starting to have trucks coming in. So maybe next weekend the kids can come and get the rest of their stuff I am storing for them and the desk and things that I am giving them.  Going to get me a small desk after I get things cleaned up and back together. The one I have is a wrap around desk and takes half of the bedroom space. 

Wondering if I will ever get this house situated and organized again. It is just taken so long to get it done.  I have a stack of old papers to shred. Thinking of getting the firepit going and just burning it rather than sit here and shred it all. It is a big box and would take me days to get it all shredded. So out with the hotdogs and such and get the barn fire going. Been a  long time since I cooked hotdogs over an open flame. The kids would love to do that again. Just might be a plan for when they get back into town again. Hopefully next weekend. 

That just made me think about something about that guy.  He stayed away from here the whole time the motorcycle was sitting in my driveway. he didn't start coming up in yard till that was gone.  Just a thought.

• Like 4

I think you need an alligator filled moat around your property, Littlesister.  Keep them all out!  A fence may be a little pricy right now, but sounds necessary!

I had my 3 month doc appt. today.  All is well, so far.

Went to Tractor Supply for hard dog food.

Home now and doing laundry.

I think I will take a day off from walking-- it's raining anyway.

Have a good week, everyone!

• Like 1

Miki, you might be right. I know a wood fence would be high price, don't know how the plastic ones have risen in price. Something I need to check on. Though I haven't seen that neighbor walking up my way now in 2 days. When I looked down toward his house when I was watering the flowers this evening, it looks like they are having another one of their secret meetings. They close up the blinds and everything when they have one. Can't say if it is church related or something else. They have had a Thank You Jesus sign in their yard for a couple of years. Nothing wrong with the sign but why do they close the house up like Fort Knox when they have all those people over there? Just odd.  Anyway, when he came over when I was planting the marigolds, I wasn't as nice. I was tired and he got the message it wasn't the time to be there. So he left. Hoping that took care of it, but time will tell. Still keeping my guard up though. 

Been really busy today. Finally, I got the inside of the car cleaned out. One and a half years since it had been cleaned. It was nasty. Got carpet cleaned and all. The new shop vac worked great. Tomorrow I will wash and wax it.  Was to tired to do all of it as it took me most of the day to clean out the inside.

Kids are coming in this weekend. :hapydancsmil:The double bed, wrap around monster desk and other things will be gone and I can then work on inside of house. I have been at a standstill till all their stuff is out and the other things I am giving them is out of the way.  I am so ready to get this house back together again. SIL is going to get that bed frame put together so I can get a  box spring and mattress for it. Then I will have a bedroom for the grandkids in Washington when they come in. They want to stay with me. And I can get the smallest bedroom together. That will still be a multi purpose room but I can make it work with the smaller furniture. Then I can start getting things fixed.  Need to jack up the dinning room floor and have the fireplace repaired and need to call someone for the well. So maybe in another month I can get all that taken care of.  

And I best be taken some time to go buy a dress for the wedding in August. 

I know I have been dumping my issues on here a lot over the past several months, and I thank everyone for putting up with it. But for some reason it has helped me get through it all.  Hoping I will be back to my old self within a year. It has been  at least 3 or 4 years since I could just be me again. Or I should say my old self again. Being a care giver for any family member is not easy when you are doing it on your own 24/7.  It does take a lot out of you.  But I am getting there and trying hard to move on.  The changes in house will be a good start and I am looking forward to the changes I want to make. It will make cleaning the house easier and my life easier I hope. 

Was going to pull all the chicken out of freezer and get it all canned, but decided to put it on hold since I needed to catch up on some much needed stuff and the kids coming in this weekend. Next week I am going to try to get that done. I really need to get that freezer emptied.  Once the chicken is canned I will move on to doing something with all the beef in the freezer.  Need to check my canning books for some new recipes.

• Like 1