MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Mt. Rider, I was thinking big bubbles against the window. I was going for privacy but I think insulation will be the better idea. 

I'll have to buy it over there because I'm already running out of Jeep space already. Amazon delivery is unpredictable these days. For the third time in the last six months they have delayed my order. Usually by only a day or two but when you make plans to be in town to receive the packages it becomes frustrating when you have to leave town knowing a package is going to be sitting on the porch a few days. And they don't give notice. Last time was socks. I ordered, paid, got a confirmation number and a notice when they shipped. Next thing I knew they offered a refund saying they couldn't ship it. That after they sent an email saying it had been shipped. 

I ordered a couple of small things that said it would arrive Thursday. It finally came today. I don't mind waiting. I just don't like the lying to get me to buy thinking it will get here fast. This wasn't for Christmas but a reminder that if you want something from Amazon for Christmas, better order it sooner rather than later because they aren't reliable on their shipping dates. Probably be worse next month. 

There was a little set of people I wanted to get to add to a play house thing. Three little pieces. No one had any but it wasn't really important. More of a stocking stuffer item. They wanted $41.00 for it! I put it in my wish list just to watch it. Last week it was listed for $11.00. That's what came today.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

And they don't give notice.

Jeepers, DH has selected an option, with/on Amazon, to send a photo of the delivered package.  Every time we get a package, he gets an email with a photo of the package on our porch, behind a shrub.  :hidingsmile:

• Like 3

Thank you all for the prayers.  I’m sure God knows our hearts, concerns, and hears our request.  Thank you.

Here in TX safe.  MIL has bacterial pneumonia.  She’s on heavy meds.  Seems to be doing ‘normal’, for a 90+ year old beautiful Lady.  

Tomorrow is another day… noticing a lot to do…. typical. 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Went to store this morning and they had turkeys on sale for 33 cents a lb.

If there is no minimum purchase required I would be going back to that store for several trips!

The least expensive turkeys around here are 87¢/lb at Walmart. That was 2 days ago; I am hoping they will drop in price the closer we get to the big day.

BTW - I now have a freezer to put them in! :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4
12 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Have to dust house and wash living room window at dog viewing port. LOL

The "nose art"???  :lol:  We still have Koa's nose art on the back car windows. 

:sigh:  ....we didn't even get ANYTHING planted this past summer.  TOO much drama going on!  With only a few weeks of the year for that opportunity, missed it completely.  I'd love to be gardening 4 seasons like the Wisconsin-transplants to GA....Kappy and Chainsaw Mary.  They've made an incredible adaption!  :yum3: 

CHILLY horse ride today.  Nice sunshine but wind!  Still....anytime you can get your Physical Therapy on a horse outdoors...is a good day.  :happy0203: 

Brought lunch and a needed 'script to my mom.  Now they want to Xray my dad's arm....since someone noticed it's swelled/bruised.  Same fall, we think. 

MtRider  .....wind is exhausting tho.... :offtobed: 

• Like 3

The turkeys were a limit of 2. So not sure with my MPT card if I can get anymore. These were just over 15lbs. each.  But I would like to try to get 2 more.

Been a busy day already.  Couldn't sleep last night so at 2 am I was washing towels. About 4 am I went and laid down and was up again about 6 am. So got dressed and headed out to be first in line to get car inspected.  They opened at 7:30 and I got tires rotated and the inspection and was out by 8:30. So home now washing the clothes and got towels put away.  Cleaning out the main bathroom to have it ready for when the grandkids move in the end of month.  We will be going to DD house in NC for Thanksgiving. I am so glad that this year I won't have to cook. I just isn't going to be the same with Dh gone now.  It's only been 9 months and I still struggle at times. This is just going to be the hardest. I have been keeping so busy trying to keep my mind off of everything, so it will be good to get away for the holidays this year. 

Ordered a zero water filter as the new fridge does not have a water dispenser on door. That water taste great. I really do like it. I do have a Berkey filter one, but that one I am using for emergencies and this one I can put in fridge to have cold water. Works better for everyday. I have a lot of Berkey filters, but since they are so expensive now, I would rather save those for hard times. The zero for now as a daily thing works out better for the time being. 

• Like 2

Delivered some banana breads and visited this morning.

Went to Walmart. Got everything I wanted, but holy cow! the prices! Up every week! I will no longer buy refried beans! 88 cents for GV brand 15 ounce can. Nope! I will cook pintos myself, mash, (season ours, but not dog's) and freeze. 

Went to thrift store and got a black blazer/ jacket for Church.
Got home and am baking my 20 pound turkey now. Won't be done until 5 or after.
Did an exercise video.
Will have to cut and put turkey away later, of course.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

Went to Walmart. Got everything I wanted, but holy cow! the prices! Up every week! I will no longer buy refried beans! 88 cents for GV brand 15 ounce can. Nope! I will cook pintos myself, mash, (season ours, but not dog's) and freeze

Did you know that you can DEHYDRATE your cooked beans? Save some freezer space and give it a whirl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The dehydrator stores used to sell #10 cans of dehydrated beans. I think pinto, navy and kidney  I used to wonder why they would sell those beans when you can just buy a bag of beans cheaply. Then I realized they were cooked THEN dehydrated. Made a lot of sense then. In an emergency all you really need to do is add hot water for a meal. 

I often wondered the same thing about the canned macaroni. Same principle. It's already pre cooked and dried. 

If it says either dehydrated or freeze dried, it's been cooked.  :misc-smiley-231:

A good winter project.

• Like 2

I don't have a dehydrator, but found a way to dehydrate refried beans in the oven.  I want to dry the beans before they are refried.  I sent the young man a message, so I will see if he responds or knows how to do it that way.  Thanks for the video!

This morning I am here first!
Will walk and walk dogs next.
Laundry.
Slice and freeze yesterday's baked turkey.
Make Refried Bean Casserole.
Easy day!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

Busy day today again.  Had to rethink where I put the freezer.  I have 3 huge windows in garage and where I put the freezer took up what wall space I had. So moved it on wall under a window.  Now I have room for the metal cabinet and tool box. Those are both to high to put in front of a window. So now I have all that straight and emptying boxes and going through the rest of stuff.  A lot more going out to good will.  I will have this house down sized before I know it, now that I am getting things figured out. 

Today was last day for the 33 cent a lb. turkeys. I remembered that Dh had an MVP card. So I went and pulled out his wallet. He had one in there, so I use that and got 2 more turkeys. I now have 4 turkeys to cut up and get canned and then make bone broth as well. Now I see that Lidl's has them on sale for 29 cents a lb. starting Wed. I think I have more than I can handle now. I have just over 60 lbs. of turkey to put up now. 

Contractor coming out tomorrow morning to double check everything to make sure all measurements are correct and to go back over my plans for what I want to do. Then the electrician comes out Thursday to hook up the awning so I don't have to open and close it manually. Then I will have a little break before GD and her husband moves in on 28th. Will be heading to DD house for Thanksgiving and then home to get things packed up and ready for the construction to start right after the 1st of year. I have to empty both bathrooms and the bottom cabinets in kitchen. Need to get everything off the walls in den and move out as much as I can from den. 

When all this is over, I think I will sleep for a week. But it will all be worth it in the end. A lot of this is things Dh and I had talked about doing but never was able to get it done due to his illness. So now I am trying to get everything done we had talked about plus the fireplace he didn't want to mess with. Keeping busy does help to keep my mind off of things. 

I will need to get back to dehydrating and want to try the beans. Didn't know you dehydrated them after they are cooked. Will be coming back to watch the video when I have more time. Right now I am just tired. But got a lot of boxes emptied and things put away that I need to keep. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Littlesister said:

When all this is over, I think I will sleep for a week. But it will all be worth it in the end.

My exact words this week. I chose this last Monday to be my official day of 'retirement'. I had three speaking engagements this past weekend which almost put me over the edge. With those time-gobbling prepping monsters behind me, I have chosen not to take on anything more in the months to come. We'll see how long that works.  :laughkick: When I saw a picture of me standing with the other weekend presenters, I was shocked how much I have aged these past 2 years caring for mama. It was a reality check that I wasn't prepared for. (losing so much weight didn't help in the 'wrinkle' arena either :0327:). 

Alas, It's time to roll up the sleeves and begin taming the paperwork monster that made its way into my home, unannounced.  Thankfully, we were able to get our 2020 taxes completed last week. Our CPA is a blessing, and there was no penalty as we didn't owe anything.  :whistling:  Then it's onto dumping all the clutter back to charity shops so we can walk around this place once again, in freedom.  :gaah:  I had started a wonderful weekly menu last year, but that went out the window when mama's dietary needs changed so dramatically.  Boy, I could sleep for a week just looking at all that needs to be done around here. Alas, just eat the elephant one bite at a time.   :thumbs:

• Like 5

Congratulations on your retirement, Homey!  No matter how long it lasts!

Not much today.
Finished laundry.
Walked dogs.
Dropped off a couple of banana breads to friends.
Going to Prayer meeting tonight and then set up tables for Sunday Dinner at Church.

• Like 2

I can relate, Homesteader.  Every time I think I might be able to allot some of my scarce energy towards beating back the CLUTTER.....  <_<   ....SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS to use up that allotment ....AND MORE! 

MtRider  ....we have walk ways, not rooms.  :gaah: 

• Like 4

:soapbox:

I'm mad at Amazon again. I ordered 6 small wall shelves for the Indy house. One order...6 shelves. I looked all over for this kind of shelf because they are small in length but sort of wide. Anyway, they said 2 arrived today. They didn't. And 2 are on delay. The other 2 were supposedly sent back by me for a refund. That never happened either. They were supposed to have arrived last Monday. One order...6 shelves. They divided it into three orders. Actually, they weren't the color I wanted but the size was right so I went ahead and ordered and planned to paint them.

So supposedly I'm going to get 2 shelves delivered here tomorrow. Two shelves won't help me at all. I need 6 to complete a set. I looked them up on Amazon. They are still available. The exact same thing happened to me with socks. They say I returned them for a refund when I didn't. They were still available and I reordered them and they came the next day. 

The real problem is I order in plenty of time for them to arrive but when they do this, it puts me in a quandary because I need stuff for the Indy house for the next trip over. I need curtain rods. Plenty of time for them to get here before Thanksgiving but if they screw up on their shipping, then they won't get here by the time I leave. Then they sit on the front porch while I'm gone.

If they can't deliver, I understand. Shipping is awful for everyone right now. I get it. But don't tell me they will be here a certain day and then don't deliver for a few more days. Amazon has their own delivery trucks now. What the heck! I depend on those delivery dates they post. And forget that 'next day' stuff too. It isn't always next day. Just be honest...I'll still order. Just don't lie about it. 

Again, if you need something from Amazon before Christmas, order now. Pfffft.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

And delivery is supposed to be such a convenience.  Hah!

This morning, I will walk first.
Go to Kroger and local stores for grocery sales and to see how shortages look.
Fill up a container with gas.
Stop at eye doc to see if I can get new glasses adjusted a little.
Go to auto parts store for locking gas cap.
Come home and make sweet potato casserole for Sunday Church dinner- about a 4x recipe in a turkey pan.
Bible study this evening.
That's enough for me!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Again, if you need something from Amazon before Christmas, order now. Pfffft.

Walmart.com has been doing the same thing to me. They charge the credit card, and then cancel the order, or parts of the order. It's so hard for me to follow because I order a lot to get the free shipping, and they can cancel the same, or different products the next time around.  :gaah:

• Sad 5

So, MIL is doing better, day by day.  We will be going back next Wednesday.  

Scrubbed everything I could, floors, cabinets, handles, showers, tubs & toilets with Lysol.  Changed bedding and washed them.  Whew!  A lot of work, however, I know, her house is clean and sanitized.  

She’s on heavy antibiotics and an inhaler. God willing, she will continue to get better.  I did chastise her, for telling me on the phone, she was fine, the day before, she went, by ambulance, to the ER.  I told her, it wasn’t fair or right, to lie to me.  

Sadly, she lost another cousin, today.  She fell, that was it.  I will miss her quirky attitude.  :yar:

My brother had to put his white, deaf, bull dog down. 4 years old.  She got an embolism, couldn’t use her back leg.  The vet put her on an anticoagulant & pain meds.  Except the dosage he gave her was for an adult human…. It caused the puppies liver & kidneys to shut down and quit functioning.  I won’t say what I really feel about that vet.  I’m sure you can guess.  My bro had rescued the dog from an awful situation, loved her & she went with him everywhere.  He even taught her sign language.  He was able to converse with her better than most people talk with each other.  Beautiful dog, I loved visiting and loving on her.  Such a pitty…

• Sad 7

Up late(er) tonite....watching the eclipse of the moon.  12:45am here and it's started.  Celestial Events are kinda fascinating, y'know?   Supposed to be darkened for a long while.....and it's a full moon tonite [or nearly].

AND.....cold!  Not nearly as cold as last nite tho.  At midnight last nite..... FIVE DEGREES!!!  :frozen:   I had to go out and check the thermometer ...unbelievable drop!  Felt like we'd had a sudden leak of Space Air, or something.  Then warmed up to near 60* today again.  :scratchhead:

MtRider .....pretty chilly tonite but nuthin' like last nite! 

• Like 3

74* yesterday and 50* today.:sigh: i was enjoying the warmer weather. But we are half way through Nov.  

Homesteader, congratulations on your retirement. 

Annarchy, so sad to hear about your brother's dog. And such a young dog.  Glad to hear your MIL is doing better.  So sorry to hear about the loss of another cousin.  You have really had some tough times. Hope and pray things get better.

haven't really been feeling well today. I think I am just tired. Was very busy going through things in garage and getting rid of a lot of stuff. I have a pile of things for garden to move to the garden shed. But it will wait till tomorrow. It is cold out today. feels colder because of the warmer weather we have had. Just have to get used to it again. 

My turn to cook tonight. Grandkids will be here around 6 tonight.  

Everything is almost set for the work on house. They will be starting on the 17th and will have it all finished in April. That at least gives my granddaughter and her DH time to settle in and me getting everything out of bathrooms and lower kitchen cabinets. Need to get all pictures off wall in den as well. That at least gives me time without having to rush to get it done. 

Going to take it easy today and tomorrow I will start cleaning bathrooms and such. Got den and kitchen cleaned up, but to tired to do much else. 

Went to store this morning for some fresh veggies. Not really much of a sell at Food Lion this week. 

• Like 3

mikki, winteer veggies can survive colder temps than 32 degrees F...

https://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/2021/04/14/winter-kill-temperatures-of-cold-hardy-vegetables-2021/

Winter-Kill Temperatures of Cold-Hardy Vegetables 2021

The winter 2020-2021 was mild, with our lowest temperature being a single late January night at 10°F (-12°C). We had one night at 11°F (-12°C) one at 17°F (-8°C), three at 18°F (-8°C also) and one at 19°F (-7°C). very little snow or ice. Similar to temperatures in the 2019-2020 winter.

The winter of 2018-2019 had lowest temperatures of 6°F (-14°C) in late January 2019, 8°F (-13°C) in December 2018 and a couple of 11°F (-12°C). In early January 2018, we had some extremely cold temperatures of -8°F and -9°F (-22°C and -23°C). Averaging our winter low over those four winters 2017-2021 gives 4.8°F (-15°C), within the zone 7a range.

Georgia Cabbage Collards, good down to 20F (-7C)

I’ve added in some temperatures for collard varieties (Georgia Cabbage collards, McCormack’s Green Glaze, variegated collards) from the Heirloom Collards Project, and also gained some info on spinach (Long Standing Bloomsdale), kales (Rainbow Mix Lacinato) and mustards (Chinese Thick-Stem) from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I’ve added in their suggestions on cold-tolerant early spring lettuces, Crawford, Simpson Elite, Susan’s Red Bibb and Swordleaf.

My results from other years still hold up.

Using the List

Unless otherwise stated, these are killing temperatures of crops outdoors without any rowcover. All greens do a lot better with protection against cold drying winds. Note that repeated cold temperatures can kill crops that can survive a single dip to a low temperature, and that cold winds, or cold wet weather can destroy plants quicker than simple cold. Crops get more damage when the weather switches suddenly from warm to cold. If the temperature drops 5 or more Fahrenheit degrees (about 3 C degrees) from recent temperatures, there can be cold damage. The weatherman in Raleigh, NC says it needs 3 hours at the critical temperature to do damage. Your own experience with your soils, microclimates and rain levels may lead you to use different temperatures in your crop planning.

Reflect spinach in the open got damaged but not killed at -9F.

Outdoor killing temperatures of crops (unprotected unless stated)

35°F (2°C):  Basil.

32°F (0°C):  Bush beans, some cauliflower curds, corn, cowpeas, cucumbers, eggplant, limas, melons, okra, some pak choy, peanuts, peppers, potato vines, squash vines, sweet potato vines, tomatoes.

27°F (-3°C): Many cabbage varieties, Sugarloaf chicory (takes only light frosts).

25°F (-4°C): Some cabbage, chervil, Belgian Witloof chicory roots for chicons, and hearts, Chinese Napa cabbage (Blues), dill (Fernleaf), some fava beans (Windsor), annual fennel, some mustards (Red Giant, Southern Curled) and Asian greens (Maruba Santoh, mizuna, most pak choy, Tokyo Bekana), onion scallions (some are much more hardy), radicchio, rhubarb stems and leaves.

22°F (-6°C): Some arugula (some varieties are hardier), Bright Lights chard, endive (Escarole may be a little more frost-hardy than Frisée), large leaves of lettuce (protected hearts and small plants will survive colder temperatures).

20°F (-7°C): Some beets (Bulls Blood, Chioggia,), broccoli heads (maybe OK to 15°F (-9.5°C)), some Brussels sprouts, some cabbages (the insides may still be good even if the outer leaves are damaged), some cauliflower varieties, celeriac, celtuce (stem lettuce), some collards (Georgia Cabbage Collards, variegated collards), some head lettuce, some mustards/Asian greens (Tendergreen, Tyfon Holland greens), flat leaf parsley, radicchio (both Treviso and Chioggia), radishes (Cherry Belle), most turnips (Noir d’Hiver is the most cold-tolerant variety).

Large oat plants will get serious cold damage. Oats seedlings die at 17°F (-8°C)

Canadian (spring) field peas are hardy to 10-20°F (-12 to -7°C).

Ruby chard, good down to 15°F (-9.5°C). hardier than Bright Lights, but less hardy than green chard varieties.

15°F (-9.5°C): Some beets (Albina Verduna, Lutz Winterkeeper), beet leaves, some broccoli and cauliflower leaves, some cabbage (Kaitlin, Tribute), covered celery (Ventura), red chard, cilantro, fava beans (Aquadulce Claudia), Red Russian and White Russian kales, kohlrabi, some lettuce, especially medium-sized plants with 4-10 leaves (Marvel of Four Seasons, Olga, Rouge d’hiver, Tango, Winter Density), curly leaf parsley, rutabagas (American Purple Top Yellow, Laurentian), broad leaf sorrel, most covered turnips, winter cress.

12°F (-11°C): Some beets (Cylindra,), some broccoli perhaps, some Brussels sprouts, some cabbage (January King, Savoy types), carrots (Danvers, Oxheart), most collards, some fava beans (mostly cover crop varieties), garlic tops if fairly large, Koji greens, most fall or summer varieties of leeks (Lincoln, King Richard), large tops of potato onions, covered rutabagas, some turnips (Purple Top).

10°F (-12°C): Covered beets, Purple Sprouting broccoli for spring harvest, a few cabbages (Deadon), chard (green chard is hardier than multi-colored types), some collards (Morris Heading can survive at least one night at 10°F), Belle Isle upland cress, some endive (Perfect, President), young Bronze fennel, Blue Ridge kale, probably Komatsuna, some leeks (American Flag (Broad London), Jaune du Poiteau), some covered lettuce (Pirat, Red Salad Bowl, Salad Bowl, Sylvesta, Winter Marvel), Chinese Thick-Stem Mustard may survive down to 6°F (-14°C), covered winter radish (Daikon, China Rose, Shunkyo Semi-Long survive 10°F/-12°C), Senposai leaves (the core of the plant may survive 8°F/-13°C), large leaves of savoyed spinach (more hardy than smooth-leafed varieties), Tatsoi, Yukina Savoy.

Oats cover crop of a medium size die around 10°F (-12°C). Large oat plants will die completely at 6°F (-17°C) or even milder than that.

Garlic shoots poking through the mulch in January. Survive down to 5°F (-15°C), and if killed, will regrow from underground.

5°F (-15°C): Garlic tops even if small, some kale (Winterbor, Westland Winter), some leeks (Bulgarian Giant, Laura), some bulb onions, potato onions and other multiplier onions, smaller leaves of savoy spinach and broad leaf sorrel. Many of the Even’ Star Ice Bred greens varieties and the Ice-Bred White Egg turnip are hardy down to 6°F (-14°C), a few unprotected lettuces if small (Winter Marvel, Tango, North Pole, Green Forest).

0°F (-18°C): Chives, some collards (Blue Max, Winner, McCormack’s Green Glaze), corn salad (mâche), garlic, horseradish, Jerusalem artichokes, Even’ Star Ice-Bred Smooth Leaf kale, a few leeks (Alaska, Durabel, Tadorna); some bulb onions, yellow potato onions, some onion scallions, (Evergreen Winter Hardy White, White Lisbon), parsnips (probably even colder), salad burnet, salsify (?), some spinach (Bloomsdale Savoy, Long Standing Bloomsdale,  Olympia). Walla Walla onions sown in late summer are said to be hardy down to -10°F (-23°C), but I don’t trust below 0°F (-18°C)

Crimson clover is hardy down to 0°F (-18°C) or perhaps as cold as -10°F (-23°C)

-5°F (-19°C): Leaves of overwintering varieties of cauliflower, Vates kale survives although some leaves may be too damaged to use. Lacinato Rainbow Mix kale may survive this temperature.

A cover crop mix of winter rye, hairy vetch and crimson clover.

Credit Kathryn Simmons

-10°F (-23°C) Austrian Winter Field Peas and Crimson clover (used as cover crops).

-15°F (-26°C) Hairy vetch cover crop – some say down to -30°F (-34°C)

-20°F (-29°C) Dutch White clover cover crops – or even -30°F (-34°C)

-30°F to -40°F (-34°C to -40°C): Narrow leaf sorrel, Claytonia and some cabbage are said to be hardy in zone 3. I have no personal experience of this.

-40°F (-40°C) Winter wheat and winter rye (cover crops).

Hoophouse Notes

Winter crops snug in our hoophouse in a December snowstorm.

Photo Pam Dawling

Our double-plastic hoophouse keeps night time temperatures about 8F (4.5C) degrees warmer than outdoors, sometimes 10F (5.5C) degrees warmer. Plus, plants tolerate lower temperatures inside a hoophouse. The soil stays warmer; the plants recover in the warmer daytime conditions (it seems to be the night+day average temperature that counts);

In the hoophouse (8F (4.5C) degrees warmer than outside) plants without extra rowcover can survive 14F (7.7C) degrees colder than they could survive outside; with thick rowcover (1.25oz Typar/Xavan) at least 21F (11.6C) degrees colder than outside.

For example, salad greens in our hoophouse can survive nights with outdoor lows of 14°F          (-10°C). Russian kales, lettuce, mizuna, senposai, spinach, tatsoi, turnips, Yukina Savoy survived a hoophouse temperature of 10.4°F (-12°C) without rowcover, -2.2°F (-19°C) with. Bright Lights chard got frozen leaf stems.

Lettuce Notes

Lettuce varieties for a solar-heated winter greenhouse or hoophouse in zone 7a: (hardiest are in bold) Buckley, Ezrilla, Green Forest, Green Star, Hampton, Hyper Red Rumpled Wave, Marvel of Four Seasons, Merlot, New Red Fire, North Pole, Oscarde, Outredgeous, Pirat, Red Cross, Red Sails, Red Salad Bowl, Red Tinged Winter, Revolution, Rouge d’Hiver, Salad Bowl, Sylvesta, Tango, Winter Marvel, Winter Wonderland.

Cold-tolerant early spring lettuces include Buckley, Crawford, Green Forest, Hampton, Merlot, New Red Fire, Revolution, Simpson Elite, Susan’s Red Bibb and Swordleaf.

Notes on Chicories and Endives

Verona Red radicchio, hardy to about 20°F (-7°C).

Photo Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

Chicories and endives fall into two groups, but they are confusing because the common names sometimes suggest the opposite group than they are botanically. Here’s the best info I have.

Cichorium intybus, commonly called chicories, are mostly heading crops. The group includes radicchio, both Treviso and Chioggia – hardy to about 20°F (-7°C). Belgian Witloof endive (the kind for forcing chicons) is also a chicory. It dies at 25°F (-4°C). Sugarloaf chicory is the least hardy chicory, and dies at 27°F (-3°C).

Cichorium endivia, commonly called endives, are mostly loose-leaf crops, less cold-hardy than intybus types (chicories). This group includes Frisée types and escaroles, which are also known as Batavian endives. They generally survive down to 22°F (-6°C), although Perfect and President endives can survive down to 10°F (-12°C) – can anyone confirm or deny this?

I planted last winter using her data as guide and had a wonderful winter garden - better than summer as all the usual pests were either dormant or dead.

Collards are wonderfully sweetened, like kale, by below freezing temps.  They took quite a few hard freezes last year and kept going and growing.  Since I pick the outer leaves and leave the growing inner ones, they just kept getting taller, and taller....and 6 plants kept me and several other people well supplied all winter.  The January King Cabbage also kept all winter, as if in a root cellar....even in last winters' 25-28 degree temps.  Thats dang cold for down South!   

If you like experimenting, there are some European veggies specifically bread for wintering over - Marvel of 4 Seasons lettuce, Winter King Cabbage, for example, are more cold tolerant than most.  Some of the Asian greens are also very cold tolerant...not bok choy though (unfortunately).  I picked all of mine after it got frost nipped at 30 degrees.  Our cold-grown radishes were much milder than those grown in warmer temps.  I can heartily recommend experimenting with cold weather gardens!  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Wow....you ought to write an ebook for gardening in your climate zone, Kappy!  :lois:

I've been trying to put together regular horse riding and regular dog walking me down the road ....for maximizing my health, strength, conditioning.  That fell apart 2 yrs ago, autumn of 2019.  [enter C0V!D ]   Then finally in March of 2021, it was all starting to come together again.  Then in August....  Ka-blooey.  :sigh:   I have one .....or the other.....but having both has been problematic.  :gaah: 

DH and I didn't realize how much Big Dog and her successor, Koa were vital to my ability to WALK.  Just that little propulsion....a little bit of something to balance off of....  Without that, I've had a LOT of trouble walking.  Flat road.  One walking [ski pole] stick.  Two walking sticks.  Hang onto DH.....but can't with his back injury.  [ it's really improving but...] 

So....we adopted a 3 yr old...75#... lab a week ago.  She's a ball of happy, friendly ENERGY!  Have been researching and working on her STRONG pull on the leash.  Pretty much have that solved.  Just switched the leash from attaching to the back of the body harness.....usual method....to attaching it to the chest ring of the body harness.  Instantly different.   Turns her just enough to stop the GALLOPING AHEAD WITH GLEE!  :bounce:  Since she did launch me off my feet once.....and continued to make my arms/shoulders sore....we had to make adjustments.  Eventually, she'll adjust ....mature...get used to our ways.  But I have to survive until then.  ;)   She has very good manners.  Doesn't chew things.  Has learned to stay out of our tiny, crowded kitchen.  Needs practice with sit, lay down, stay.  [that galloping with glee thing]  And overshoots when she takes a treat...."gentle!"....   We aim to wear her out regularly....tho it takes both of us to do that.  :lol:   She sleeps in her own bed but loves to join us on our bed while we read or do computer.  Or take naps.  She's calm inside our small cabin.  Adjusting very quickly. 

It helps.....a bit.  But if I hadn't needed a walking dog, we would have waiting a bit longer.  We're still missing Koa so much.  HappyDog is a potent antidote ...... eventually. 

MtRider  ....NOW if my horse rides were more regular!  :(  It's off-season at the ranch.  :shrug: 

• Like 3