MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Daylily, I know you are right and I do understand their policy for legal reasons. That's probably why I didn't get snooty. But for 1-2 months it really got me. Actually, two of the cases expired in Aug. 2016 so they were only 2 weeks expired. Maybe they will set up a table of gently expired food as I suggested. She did say she never thought of that. Oh well, I really like giving directly to the source anyway.

The food bank here is set up at a senior citizen apartment complex. They have a huge kitchen and an even bigger dinning room. I know they cook meals there but I don't know how often. They could have made a pretty big vat of veggie soup that day.

Next time I'll just go to the Salvation Army parking lot and stalk wait to pounce talk to an unsuspecting interested victim person. If they stare make eye contact and grimace smile I'll know they are shady approachable.

<snip>

Next time I'll just go to the Salvation Army parking lot and stalk wait to pounce talk to an unsuspecting interested victim person. If they stare make eye contact and grimace smile I'll know they are shady approachable.

:coffeescreen:

Yesterday; three pints of speghetti sauce and today, five quarts of ham & beans...and one "not so good looking" quart of ham chunks. Probably should have jarred them up differenty, but learning is learning :-) Also put a new keyboard and mouse on this pc. The old mouse kept "stalling" and we'd have to pull the plug & re-plug is it to activate it. We'll see if this one works better. The old one was a Logic and didn't rely on batteries etc.

Edited by The WE2's

I got the yard mowed again today. It must have rained during the night because one side of the yard was a little damp. I've had to mow a lot this year.

I didn't get to the dumpster today. Tomorrow is another day though.

I think I'll go up the road and recycle some paper. My container over floweth. I hate when I do that. It makes it so hard to transport because the paper keeps falling out in the car.

Picked more Okra, some bell peppers and went ahead and picked some of the tomatoes green. I'll make some green salsa. The squash bugs came right back to the squash, the rain probably washed all the Neem oil off :-( It started raining while we were picking so no use spraying. I was so looking forward to speghetti squash this year...the first time we've ever grown it. Eggplant is putting on some blossoms, but wondering if we'll get anything with the stupid bugs!

WE2's, we had trouble with the bugs a couple of years ago. This year has been interesting. We've had so many various birds in the yard, there have been hardly any bugs in my garden. PTL

Today is house cleaning day. And I do not have to rush because of company. For the past month, someone has had an appointment and I've had to start early and push myself to complete it before they show up.

We swapped out my washing machines. The one I bought new, takes 55 minutes to wash, even a small load. The one we swapped for had an issue with overflowing. I googled the problem, opened it up and found the hose to the water level regulator was disconnected. It works now!!! :amen:

Last week, the car would not start. After attaching the battery charger we noticed the brake lights were on. Had to replace a rubber bumper on the break pedal that regulates the brake lights. The same day, I also had to replace a pipe under the sink. Thank God, we were able to find the replacement parts for cheap and now everything is fixed.

Time to get to work.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

No rain in he forecast, so I sprayed again with Neem oil. The bell peppers have decided to grow like crazy, the eggplant is growing good and there's a coujple of speghetti squash vines that look fair and have blooms. The tomatoes are growing profusely but we've got a rabbit or something eating half of them when they turn red...and only the low hanging ones :-( Picked some more Okra so we're going to have some with our eggs and sausage in the morning...why not have fried Okra for breakfast :thumbs:

Visited a garage sale and picked up some nice work T-shirts for MrWE2 for less than a $1 each and two brand new back packs for $7 each. Want to put them in the get home tote that rides in the back seat of the truck with Abby-girl. That way if we need to leave the truck to get home, we can pack them as full as we can and backpack them home. Then, resumed work on the upstairs apartment that "previous renter" trashed out. Got the livingroom pretty well cleared and MrWE2 pulled all the carpet and we're thankful that the hardwood floors underneath are in pretty fair shape. Next comes the bedroom. Just couldn't hack more than 4 hours of working with all that dog hair :-( Just didn't even try to vacuum it, just cut it in strips and rolled it up for the trashmen. Still having the basket of green tomatoes sitting on the counter waiting to be turned into green salsa. Also picked up 3 large bags of Abby-girl's dog food from Tractor Supply. She eats 4-Health Weight Control and sometimes it's sold out because lots of bull dog owners use it. So we try to buy 2 or 3 bags each time...this time they had three and they went home with us!

Edited by The WE2's

Yesterday made a trip to an Amish store to replenish some of my essential oils. When I open a bottle I like to replace it as soon as possible. I use a lot of lavender, peppermint, lemongrass and willowbark. Also picked up some more activated charcoal, benzonite clay, willow bark raw, Tattler lids & gaskets and also additional gaskets. Needed more poppy seeds (I make my own poppy seed dressing), coconut oil and a small bag of Redman's salt.

So Annarchy....your old washer works now? :cheer: The topic of the "New and Improved" washers can't even be spoken in my parents' house. They got a new one and aiiieeee, they both HATE IT! They say it takes forever. It does get clothes clean but it's wearing them out. Shredding towels and such. And my mom says they [they actually sent the first one back cuz it was "obviously malfunctioning" but the second one worked the same way] ....she says both machines sound louder than the combines in their Iowa farm. .....{that's REALLY loud!} :(

My dad wishes he would have tried HARDER to repair the old one. I'm planning to never let go of mine. It the hooeyHitsFan, I could live okay without my dryer [esp. in arid CO] but I realllly love my washer! The plunger and bucket are merely adequate....very messy....and I wouldn't get thru a load in a whole day's worth of energy. :faint3:

MtRider ....DH did laundry last nite. I went down to change from washer to dryer/hanging up non-dryer stuff. This morning he brought up the dryer stuff. Teamwork. :clothesline:

So Annarchy....your old washer works now?

<snip>

The used one I bought, walked across the porch on spin cycle. The balancer was broken. I bought a new one. Yuck - locking lid, "energy saver". NOT! How does 55 minutes save energy? And, it would spray rinse. Unplugging it to open it and see the water level, because "pause" never unlocked the lid, revealed it barely had enough water in it to wet the clothes. (What's worse, when we disconnected it and took off the drain hose, it still had stored water in it and still does. We tried tipping it to get it to drain completely, with no luck.)

Then, a friend moved and sold me his washer & dryer. I took the dryer to MIL, because her machine was really making a lot of noise. Repair on it, meant pulling the drum and replacing all the pads and re-balancing the drum during installation. Way too much work to keep it.

We connected his washer and it wouldn't quit filling. Good thing my wash room is outside. LOL. I covered it and continued using the "new" one. Accepting its flaws and working around the time it took to do a load. However, we started to notice the clothes did not seem to be getting clean. I can't use scented soaps, so it was noticeable.

After fixing the older model. I had to run each load through another rinse cycle for the soap to clear out. We drain the water into the yard and the water on the rinse cycle was foaming. Last weeks laundry was washed with no soap and the water coming out of the rinse cycles was still soapy. Because it takes less time to wash a load, I was able to run all the laundry through 2 cycles. First with no soap and the second with less than a 1/4 cup of soap. What a difference it has made.

Mt_Rider, maybe check with your local appliance repair shops to see if they have an older model for sale.

Speaking of washer and dryers...my sons dryer went out last week. He called a repair person and he said he couldn't fix it because with the newer machines they don't have part numbers or something strange like that. The set was there when they bought the house so they don't have any manuals or anything. Who knows. They look like a newer set though. Front loaders.

Sure....no parts. No water. THEIR special soap. This all stinks like the inside of those new washers! :tinfoilhatsmile: Just like the lightbulbs. Now we pay $4/LED bulb and are happy about it! <_<

My folks' new washer has to be washed..... every so often, you have to run a cycle to clean the washer. :blink:

Course with all the special soap and such, someone is raking in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :banghead:

First time I saw that water level was while I was back in the Midwest. K's sister's house. I thot something was wrong with the washer. QUESTION: so if it only fills a bit above the clothes...can you fill it up with clothes? The load I saw didn't have many clothes in it. :scratchhead:

MtRider ......no one is getting my nice oldER washer. :clothesline:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Slow day today. I just ran a couple of errands. I stopped by Boston Market for a veggie meal thingy. The change part came to 41 cents. I gave her 1 quarter, 1 dime, 1 nickel and 1 penny. I had to wait at the window for her to count and count and recount the change. We are doomed.

Then I got THE call from it IRS saying they are going to take my home, money, jewelry, car and :blah:. I didn't know our IRS spoke with an Indian accent. They got the whistle. Hee-hee. Made me and my lungs feel a little bit better. I'm easily amused.

Washed, dried, folded and put away the "light colors" (which is what I normally do on Tuesdays. Monday's are for whites and Wednesday's for dark/jeans etc. As for washers and dryers? My dryer grabs everything silky and causes them to hang up between one of the fins etc., and "burns" a really crappy looking brown mark that I have to scrub with bleach (if it's white) to get it off. Will I buy a new dryer? No, I just put the delicates in a garment bag to dry. The washer and dryer will stay with this house when we sell it, just like the washer and dryer will stay at the Roost when we sell it. The washer and dryer at the Homestead work fine and are old :-) But...I have a Panda washer and spinner on my wish list. Only takes a few minutes for each cycle so could use a generator if there's no electricity. I'd want the 15# capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JB7PSCW/ref=twister_B01JSPO9P4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by The WE2's

I've seen those Panda washers and liked the idea of them too. I think I saw a Youtube video of one working. I don't have a lot of dirty clothes every week so one would be good for my needs. By the time I get a full load here...I'm out of clean clothes to wear.

Interesting washer.

Today, I am getting the last of my luggage (backpack) packed to head to TX. I'm taking my truck because DH collected some long 2x4s from the neighbors remodeling job last month. My truck probably needs a good drive again to clean the engine out. November and December we will be taking his Tahoe and all the animals. That should give the car a well needed break.

Hoping everyone has a blessed day.

Just did the last load of weekly laundry...dark colors/work clothes. Crochet'd a bit, but otherwise just hung out with my lab-brat! Oh...she came to the computer just a minute ago, and when she sat down to put her head on my arm...she "dusted" (we call it tweeting) :24: Flatulina fairy at work!