MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

19 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

[where has Midnightmom been the past few days?]  

I'm in the valley that I-5 runs through, about 20 miles south of the Siskyou Pass that goes into Oregon. We usually get rain and wind, but no snow.

(Anderson, the red dot)

Last week we had the first significant snowfall of the winter and vehicles were being stopped at Fawndale Rd and required to chain up. Since it takes quite a while for trucks to chain up, the traffic backs up and the trucks pull off to the shoulder of the road and wait for the previous trucks to move on. When this happens, the shoulder of I-5 becomes a parking lot as the trucks queue up. That blue line on the map shows how far south the line extends -- 21 miles!  Most of the cars keep traveling north without much problem because they are going to some of the smaller cities north of here. BUT- if they are traveling into Oregon they have to stop and chain up too! For those from SoCal who don't have or need chains, they are for sale and isnstallation at Fawndale, but I don't think it's cheap!!!

map.JPG.416adb43debf1781ea5bc5783de107de.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

THIS is what Annarchy was asking me about.  HORRIFIC!  Downed power lines... .. we heard that caused the wildfire.  In this case, 100+ mph WINDS ....and it's a grass fire, until it reaches hundreds of homes that it's devoured today.  Then it's worse...more intense 'fuel'.  :(   Tens of thousands on EVAC.  At this point, 500 homes gone.  There are a few video clips of how fast this rolled! 

Over 580 homes burned to the ground…plus businesses and hotels, so far no fatalities.  

Fire investors saying the found no lines down where the fire seems to have originated around, near or in a barn.  :sigh::shrug:

• Sad 2
18 hours ago, Annarchy said:

DH mentioned that there were heavy snows in your area, Midnightmom. 

There has been a lot of snow in the Sierra Foothills (in the area around Lake Tahoe) and to the west (Coastal Range). The roads going to these places is more like 2 lane state highways, not interstate freeways. Apparently lots of fools are getting snowbound trying to get to the ski resorts! The snow will still be there in the day or so it will take to plow the roads, but people are in an "I want it NOW" rush, and do not truly know how life threatening it can be to be caught unprepared in the mountains...in the snow.

• Sad 3

And many have been without power in the Sierras as well. People really need to stay away so they don’t end up using resources that the people who live up there need.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We snowed all night and well into today and the grande total was....2".  :buttercup:    That's what it's been doing this whole season.  A trace remains under the pine trees but the sun melts the rest.  As for not having to do much shovel work....that's great!  For the health of the trees, etc....not enough.  And for fire conditions.....well, the answer to that has been all over the national news. 

Sure got cold last nite and barely crawled out of the single digits today.  We had sunshine for an hour ...then it set in the west.  However, I shouldn't complain.  My friend near Mpls MN has been in the negative numbers, last nite and today.  And they've had WAY more snowplowing and driveway clearing expenses this year.  :shrug:   We get what God directs....

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   getting more sleep with different pill [relax muscles and sleep] AND drinking cocoa! 

• Like 2

Our high for the day was at about 7 am--64, yesterday.  Down in the 40's next.  Day before yesterday it got up to 82 degrees.  Whiplash!

Went to Sunday School and Church, yesterday.
Came home and walked dogs.
Set up DH's meds for the month and toook eBay photos.
Will set up my new fitbit. Old one is dying and won't charge properly.
Am supposed to go to Church at 5:30 every day for 20 days (for about half hour) to pray about the future of our Church. We will see what that will bring.

Cold today (for MS), about 28 right now with wind. Will do video this morning.
Laundry.
Cook meatballs in spaghetti sauce for MB sandwiches.
Shred cheese.
Roll some change.
Change shower curtain--remove Christmas one.
Make phone calls. Mostly little misc. jobs to catch up on. Yay!

• Like 2

I'm up early with a long to-do list of errands...to do.

Since the Jeep is cleared out I want to go get the oil changed. It's over due.

I need to arrange for the auto shop to get a pneumatic part in to fix the back window. I'm assuming it will have to be ordered. Might as well drive it over so they can look at it instead of me trying to explain to them on the phone. It's just a few blocks from me. 

I need to schedule a brake job too. I paid close attention while I was braking and I do feel them start to grab. They can rotate the tires while they have them off. Also check them to make sure they are still in good shape. I think they are but better safe than sorry with the trips I take. I asked son to check them but then I forgot. 

I'm going back to Auto Zone and pick up a couple of spare light bulbs and a serpentine belt to go with the other spare parts I have for it. They already have my Jeep info in the computer now so they can look the stuff up. I just thought about an oil wrench. I'll try Wal-Mart for that $$$,  And an oil changing pan. I forgot about that too. And an auto fuse assortment kit. Also check out one of those small cheap Sterilite type shelves for my auto supply store.  LOL  Watch, I'll get these repair parts and some yahoo will ram into me and total the Jeep. Oops, I probably shouldn't put that out there in the universe. 

I have a huge load of cardboard to recycle. Because of Christmas, the bins have been full. I think since the back is all cleared out, I'll pick up another load of fire wood. What I don't use here I can take to Indy and use in the fire pit. If/when I get a fire pit.  :rolleyes: 

I have to do some food shopping. I've been buying food but I can't find it. Oh yeah, I buy it and take it to Indiana.  My BOL is better stocked than my SIPL. :D

I still need to call the toll road people. They owe me $50.00. Hope they don't try to give me a hard time. I'm not in the mood.

If I have any energy left, I want to go to the Verizon store and try to get signed up for auto pay. I do expect a hard time there. 

• Like 3

I hope you got through your list yesterday, Jeepers!  That was a big one.  I actually finished my entire list, which usually doesn't happen.

I will walk shortly, still pretty cool right now-30 degrees.
Then walk dogs.
Wash rugs, sweep and dust house.
Prep carrots and sweet potatoes for dog food.
Make dog food to cook overnight and PC tomorrow.
Church for 21 days of prayer.  5:30 to 6:00

• Like 3

WINDY today.  Ya just pray for no ignition of fire on these days.  So far; so good.  Says it was 40* but with significant wind over the snow....  :frozen:  It did blow our driveway clear of snow.  :)   At least it did where we shoveled out some tracks.  

Good day to rest/recover.  DH works tomorrow but not both clients.  He does ride in with senior transportation to assist his client with shopping.  So three days a week he has more vehicle travel than his back tolerates well.  :(   We also have to get to grocery for fresh foods an replace what's used.  Trying to keep everything topped up!!!

Began Hawaiian again yesterday.  I broke off from the time I was at my mom's [no Internet] and thru the holidays.  Easier.  Now I'm back to daily.  I didn't forget too badly. 

I'm also trying to do some brain puzzles daily.  Solitaire Mahjong.  Word puzzles.  Etc.  Keep the mind active.  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  ....and getting enough sleep!!!  :offtobed: 

• Like 2
On 1/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, dogmom4 said:

And many have been without power in the Sierras as well. People really need to stay away so they don’t end up using resources that the people who live up there need.

People (idiots, really) have been depending on GPS apps to find their way around the road closures. It isn't working! And, people are ignoring LOCAL warning/hazard signs and wave-offs from road workers because their GPS SAYS "this is the way to go!" 

Snow Closed the Highways. GPS Mapped a Harrowing Detour in the Sierra Nevada.

Public safety officials warned that alternate routes offered by apps like Google Maps and Waze don’t always take into account hazards to drivers.

Volunteers helped a driver who was stranded after being led by a GPS system down a snow-covered, two-lane dirt road as an alternative route to the closed Interstate 80 on Monday night.

Volunteers helped a driver who was stranded after being led by a GPS system down a snow-covered, two-lane dirt road as an alternative route to the closed Interstate 80 on Monday night. Credit...Washoe County Sheriff's Office

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/us/google-maps-waze-sierra-nevada-snow.html

• Sad 2

I walked first and then walked dogs.
Since then, have been in various stages of pressure canning dog food. Still on first round and there will be another round when this finishes. It's usually an all day process. I try to think positively about doing it (my peanut is still with me--she gets seizures from chemicals and preservatives).
Probably won't be done in time this eve to go to Prayer meeting. We will see.

• Like 2

Happy Dog is nutty dog today.....but I'm not going out in these WINDS to walk her.  She can run around the former goat pen all she wants.  I'm staying inside!  :behindsofa: 

Furnace doesn't even keep up with the cold wind.....blows thru the many crevices in this old log cabin.  :frozen:   Keeping the pellet stove going too.

Got shower/wash/dry hair .....in a hurry.  In case limb comes down and power goes out.  Most windows are stuffed with bubble wrap  and/or extra curtains/blankets/etc. 

MtRider  ....I've always hated WIND!  :twister3: 

• Sad 3

I got most of my errands run this week and then got a migraine for a couple of days. But it is nearly gone now. About one more day. 

Good thing I took the Jeep in to get looked at. I said I needed a pneumatic thingy. Well duh Jeepers. It's a hydraulic thingy. I didn't think pneumatic sounded right but I couldn't think of hydraulic. Pneumatic is those tubes the drive through banks use to transport transactions. Hard to tell where I would have sent the Jeep to. Or the size of the tube! Crimony. What's that back area of a Jeep called? Not a trunk. Cargo area? It's my cargo bay window. Anyway, what I did get correct is that the part had to be ordered. So, when they get it, I'll get it. One good thing is sometimes the back window latches now. But only sometimes. I'm using it very sparingly. Like when I got the firewood. 

I went to check out a brake job. Conrad's is having a labor shortage crisis. Hopefully they can fit me in sometime next week. The brakes aren't dangerous yet but I can feel them grab. I don't want to damage the rotors. With the window and the brakes, I'm not going to be driving it as often. I would like to go to Sam's Club soon though. 

I got the serpentine belt at the auto store. Of course I mispronounced that too. We have a big auto dealership in town called Serpentini. So I called it a Serpenteen belt. Since my car info is in their computer now, they know what I'm thinking about and they just go get it for me. I think we have bonded. Or at least they are past the eye rolling stage. I didn't make it to Wal-Mart so I didn't get the oil pan and wrench, fuses or light bulbs. But there is a WM next to Sams so I'll hit that up when I go there.

The place where I get my oil changed went out of business permanently. Verizon didn't get done either but that's okay too. I know of another oil place that is next door to a Verizon. 

I got a boat load of cardboard recycled. Not all of it because the bins were filling up. They are begging people to recycle paper instead of trashing it because of a paper shortage. My cardboard today may become my toilet paper tomorrow. I have plenty more too, plus junk mail.

I called the toll road people. They were very nice. Mostly because it was a real person without an accent I couldn't understand. Refreshing. All the info I needed was on the receipt plus my charge card number I had handy.  Only hitch is it has to be reviewed and it could take a month to get the charge back. I don't think it should take that long since it was their mistake but she was so polite I didn't mention it. Wouldn't have mattered anyway. 

If my head cooperates, I'll try to finish up tomorrow. I have added a couple of things to my ever growing prep list. Little things like wood shims but sheesh.  Is there ever an end to that list?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Is there ever an end to that list?

No, apparently there is not!

Yesterday, walked first and walked dogs.
Rolled some loose change.
Went to Kroger for local sales and Walmart for a few things.
Made an Apple Crumble for a funeral.
Put away 22 quarts of pressure canned dog food.
Went to Prayer meeting.
Gave Oreo sedating drugs for visit next day.

This morning, did an exercise video- too cold.
Gave Oreo more drugs for visit at 10 am.
Took him to vet and he still tried to bite everyone in the room.
Vet upped dosage of drugs for next visit- Good plan.
Right now am washing sheets, comforters and dog blankets.
Next will put flea meds on dogs and cat--hopefully without being bitten.
Prayer meeting at 5:30.
It's been a busy couple of day!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I got the serpentine belt at the auto store. Of course I mispronounced that too. We have a big auto dealership in town called Serpentini. So I called it a Serpenteen belt. Since my car info is in their computer now, they know what I'm thinking about and they just go get it for me. I think we have bonded.

:24:

All kidding aside - do you know what the serpentine belt does for your engine? If the current one failed, would you be able to install the new one, or have someone who can?

I am asking because the serpentine belt in my CAR (2016 Honda Civic) "slipped" last summer and the car died on the spot. Had to have it towed to my mechanic. That's when I found out that it is not only responsible for the "timing," but that it also ran the water pump, and one or two other "systems" that all used to have their own pullies and/or belts. Replaceing the serpentine belt in my car cost a bundle of $$$ and the job was way beyond the expertise of my neighbor who was willing to replace it for me. On top of that, one of the bolts that held up part of the enginet that this thing was connected to broke off when they tried to remove it, so they had to drill it out and replace it with another one! So, long story short, it's good that you have the PART (because you may not be able to get it later, or it might cost more by then) but, also do your research on the labor that will be involved to replace it.

Oh, and some shops may not want to do the job using your part because they won't be able to guarantee/warranty against failure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Midnight! What a mess for what would have been in much older models: a set of socket or crescent wrenches and some old clothes to sit in the engine.  [Or have longer arms than I have..... ]  

I have a pic of DD1 sitting in the engine of our Maui vehicle as DH showed her how to do some basic stuff.  She still does her own if she can.  DD2...nope.  Take it in and have them do it. 

I hope my 1985 Ford truck is still of a vintage that things like belts are still user friendly.  It's STILL IN THE SHOP....from the fire-in-engine episode last Aug.  Maybe I should have mechanic pack a set of all user-friendly spare parts into the deal.....when I finally pay him.  Jeepers has a good idea there.  My dad had several of those spare parts riding around in the truck when I got it.  I don't remember what all.....but belt and fuses were in there.  Rubber and arid CO weather don't go together tho.  Since weathered/cracked fuel line is what CAUSED the fire.... 

MtRider  ....car stuff.  Don't like in :frozen:   and don't like in :knary: 

• Like 1

I know about that belt. It runs just about everything on a car. If it breaks, and they do, your car stops. Period. My son can replace it as long as we are in the vicinity of each other. D-ex's broke once and he and son and uncle replaced it. They replaced just about everything under that hood at one time or another. It seems the starter and alternator or solenoid went out every winter. And we didn't have a garage to work in. It was a souped up 1971 Super Sport Nova we bought from a Methodist preacher for $500.00. And we had to get a bank loan to buy it. He raced it and his congregation 'suggested' he get rid of it. I pushed it while DH hopped in and popped the clutch to get it running many times. Always had to look for a hill to park on, just in case. Good old days huh?

If I remember correctly the belt was $39.00 with a 30 year guarantee. I'm sure about the cost but not sure 100% on the guarantee. One belt was 20 years and one was 30 years. I'm pretty sure I got the 30 year one.  I have all the receipts. 

This reminds me... on the way home from Indy this last time there was a car stalled right in the fast lane. It was snowing and the sun was just starting to set. The speed limit is 70mph. I thought maybe it was an electric car that ran out of power. It was a small car with a big "Vegan" bumper sticker on the back. But now that I think about it, I wonder if it was that belt. He didn't even have time to pull off to the side of the road. There is some space on the toll road even on the left side. That was one of the most dangerous things I've ever seen on the highway. I still think about those big trucks barreling down the road with that snow and night approaching. Coming upon a dead car just sitting there. When I saw it a guy was just stepping out of the car. I hope someone stopped to help push it to the side of the road before...

1971 Chevrolet Nova SS (CC-1555382) for sale in Goodrich, Michigan

Holy crap. Look what I just found. This looks just like the one we had! It isn't ours though. We GAVE it to Ex's uncle. He totally redid it and painted it blue. No regrets. He is a great guy and helped us with it many times. He deserved it. But its selling for $41,9000. now. :0327:

1971 Chevrolet Nova for Sale on ClassicCars.com

Edited by Jeepers
Added a car picture.
  • Like 1

I got a lot more errands finished today. 

I stopped at the grocery store for some fruit. The shelves were hit or miss but not too bad, The Chef Boyardee was on sale at 10 for $10.00. I got some of that to put back. They finally had some of those split top hot dog buns. They make eating hot dogs easier for me since I load them down with 'fixin's'. I've been wanting hot dogs for awhile. The deli was closed, on a Friday afternoon.  I asked why and she said something about cleaning it. Yikes. I picked up a few other things. Nothing much. Adult cereal is getting picked over. The kids sugary stuff was still plentiful. I've been to Meijers and Giant Eagle and still can't find All Bran Original. Eggs are plentiful yet. Around $3.00 +/- a dozen depending on size and brand. I didn't notice any limits on anything. 

I stopped in Meijers and their shelves were a little more bare. I had to check myself out again. I asked the girl what hours the cashiers were on duty. She said they aren't. She said they usually don't have enough help for a cashier to work. She said they had one on duty tonight but he has been in the bathroom most of the night. Another Yikes. Either lazy or sick. I didn't hang around long enough to ask. She said another girl was quitting Sunday.

Off to get a real oil change. I got the works. All of my fluids were changed out except for the antifreeze which tested out good. I got the wiper blades changed out and bought an extra set for the front and an extra one for the back. The back blade can be hard to find but they had them. He said the belts and hoses all looked good. They gave a big discount because I got a lot done. That was very nice! When I get the brakes done, I think it will be road worthy for a few years to come. And the back window. It needs a car wash really badly but it was too cold for me to do it. It has too much road salt on it. I thought about going through one of those automatic washes but I've never done it and I'm afraid I won't get it lined up right and get it stuck. I'll try to find one that is manned. 

I went to Wal-Mart to finish up my car parts supply stock up. Got an oil pan and oil wrench. They had fuse assortments but they were behind a locked glass. Good luck finding clerk to open that case. I'll go back to my BFF's at Auto Zone if I have to.  I wanted to buy some extra oil but I wasn't sure about it. All of the labels say something about synthetic oil. My Jeep uses regular oil. I don't know if all oil is a blend these days or not? Anyone know? Found the cereal I wanted. 

I went to Verizon for auto pay help. He gave me a 'special' number to call. I think it will work except I have to have a debit card from the bank. I never use a debit card but I do have one. It expired Apr. 2020. I don't know why they didn't send me a new one. I really dislike that Indiana bank. A lot. Speaking of which, my Ohio bank charge card expires 01/22. She said I have until the end of the month to use it. I might be out of town by then. Just send the new card already. Dang. I'm calling both banks on Monday and telling them to get the lead out. 

Went in Dollar Tree for a couple of small vases. I want to use them for holding straws and pencils. They are still just $1.00. Their juice and Gossner milk is still empty. Their frozen/cold food cases were all empty with a sign that said "Do Not Open" I asked her if they were going to change over to Dollar Tree Plus. She said probably but they never tell them when. Said they just show up and do it. I said they probably don't want people coming in and stocking up before the price hike. She said it's too late for that. People are already stocking up. It looked like it too. I think I'll make one more trip for some gauze and stuff. 

I think it's time for another hair cut before they lock us down again. :shrug: 

I went to a lot of places today and everything was within a 5-8 mile radius. I talked to a lot of people and I have to say that every one is still very friendly and polite. So far.

Oh, another thing I noticed is not only are places begging for help, they are offering daily pay. Get paid at the end of every shift. I wonder if they are desperate enough to take the unvaxxed people? 

• Like 3

Well, that was a pretty sobering post, Jeepers!  Lots going on!  Glad you got as much done as you did!

This morning, I walked first, then walked dogs.
Printed year ending paperwork.
Moved some totes out to shed.
Dusted house.
Cleaned bathrooms.
I'm about to file some year end paperwork.
Make cauliflower rice.
Church for prayer at 5:30 This Church at 5:30 every day thing is for 21 days total and then back to Wed. eve only.

Hope you all are having a good weekend!

• Like 3

Hi  :wave:    I'm flying out the door.  Going to be staying with my mom til....? Tuesday ?  Going to have an After-Christmas party.  :lol:  As in:  putting all the Christmas stuff away.  

So I'll be without Internet again.  Stay safe everyone.  Winterize your vehicles with Emergency stuff [I just posted further motivation in RURR ]

MtRider   .....  :happy0203:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a normal Sunday here (I hope).
Sunday School, Church.
Clean kitchen and put away some flour that I had frozen for a couple of weeks.
Back to Church this eve for prayer meeting.

Try to relax some!

• Like 1