MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I have some cubes but for me, they are harder to handle and get dissolved. That's why I've been searching for the powdered kind. I have some of the Better Than Bouillon but it is more like a paste and I'm not sure how long it would last after it's opened.

Adding tomato bouillon to my list too. 

Bouillon cubes would be a good barter item I'll bet. 

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, glad to know you now know what you are dealing with.  I hope you don't get it and praying for your DH to get better now that he is on medication. Praying for both of you.

Will have to check out the tomato powder. I could use that for a lot of things. 

The guy from Wayfair was supposed to come yesterday morning to put bar stools together. The roads were clear, and he called and said he would be at house at 1 pm. No show. He called again and said he would be here at 1 pm today. Didn't show till 2:30. He did not put the bar stools together properly. I have most of the lock washers and screws. He took some of the washers and screws as well. So now SIL is coming at some point to redo the stools the right way. When I moved them out of den for the construction workers tomorrow, A washer fell off the bottom of one of the chairs.  Now if my memory serves me right, I though you put the washer on first and then the screw. Not the other way around. So SIL will be fixing the problems and Wayfair will know about it. They send you a picture of the person that is coming and he was not that person. Might not be dealing with Wayfair again. They allotted 6 hours to put 4 chairs together and he had it done in less than 2 hours. Minus the time he spent on his cell phone. 

I am wanting to start canning again but looks like it will be at least 4 months or more before I can get back into it again. With all the dust all over the house from the cement dust and the dust from the sheetrock, I don't want to try to get canning done with all that. So, I am turning my time to other things to prepare for what might be coming down the pipe.  Still reading up on EMP's. I posted a little of what I read. But I am still unsure about it. Didn't understand everything about what was in book, but if anyone has read it, maybe one of you would understand it. I posted in the area on EMP's. Or I least I hope that was the section. 

Still going through things and getting rid of a lot more. Past time to make my life easier around here when it comes to cleaning house. Can't wait till all the construction is done. The owner of the company tried to talk me out of a wood burning stove and getting a natural gas one. No way will I do that. With things going on, I would much rather have a wood Buring one. He is basing it on bringing in wood and the clean up being messy. That is not an issue for me and besides the wood ash has a lot of uses. Good exercise.  Maybe it will give me back my upper arm strengh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

DH is definitely getting better.  He had minimal fever chills last night.  So very glad we went with the non-conventional way of treating! 

I'm still ok.....  :bounce:   :amen:  

We went below zero last night and yet were in the high 60's this afternoon.  DH and HappyDog were out on the porch .....when suddenly I heard a great clatter out there.  I dashed out to find that an empty wire shelving unit had become attached to the dog tags on HappyDog's collar.  She scooted backwards towards DH....and the noisy thing just chased her!  We got her and shelves all sorted.  But the tags had come off her collar....a weird mechanism.  Took DH a while to get them back on.....while I played with dog to take her mind off of Attacking Wire Shelves!!!  :grinning-smiley-044:

Was such a nice day to get some Vit D!!!!!  :happy0203:  Thankful that DH is coming along so I can kinda relax now. 

MtRider  B) 

• Like 4

Getting ready to batten down the hatches for cold later this week.  High of 26F on Thursday!  

Had a rather social weekend.  Started working on an apron  made entirely of rectangles today. Got it cut out and started pressing the seams and everything up to the point where I really have to get the sewing machine out…but that will be for another day..

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, TheCG said:

Getting ready to batten down the hatches for cold later this week.  High of 26F on Thursday!  

DH mentioned you all are getting ready to have an ice storm.  Praying your power stays on and you have enough supplies to make it through it.  

Lol, sometimes I get tired of waiting for my machine and had sew everything. :happy0203:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

He did not put the bar stools together properly. I have most of the lock washers and screws. He took some of the washers and screws as well.

I would be on the phone/internet complaining about shabby, horrible service, and including the employees name….  I do not tolerate someone or business that does not provide the products or services they claim to provide.  

• Like 4
15 hours ago, TheCG said:

Our Walmart had a huge amount on and end cap. 

It's funny how some stores will be well stocked with something and the next one has been out of a certain product for weeks at a time. Within the same store chain. I broke down and ordered from Amazon. I was tired of running around to different stores looking for chicken bouillon. My gas and time wasn't worth it any more when Amazon is delivering the next day. I know I wouldn't find the tomato bouillon up here very easily. One good thing came out of this though... I've finally learned how to spell 'bull-yon.' 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We've had a lot of snow this year. Most of it came in three falls. 15, 12 and 6 inches at a time. And then it froze over. Tuesday it is supposed to get up to 48 degrees and 40 degrees Wednesday with rain :shakinghead: and by Friday night back down to -4. Will probably be some icy roads with the thaw, rain and freezing back up again. Will try to take advantage of the warm weather to finally get the car emptied out and washed off again. And hopefully get the walkway all cleaned off. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Annarchy said:

DH mentioned you all are getting ready to have an ice storm.  Praying your power stays on and you have enough supplies to make it through it.  

Lol, sometimes I get tired of waiting for my machine and had sew everything. :happy0203:

Power better stay on - our camper is still down at my parents' house!

We do have enough heaters and a generator that we'd make it through alright.  Reminder to set: Tell hubby to go fill the propane tanks tonight.

I'm planning on being the only one in the office on Thursday - I'll bring in my lunch, and will probably transfer the phones to my cell phone Wednesday night in case I can't get to the office.

• Like 5

Sheeesh, I'm glad to be awake. I fell asleep with Youtube running. Somewhere in the line up a video came on with a guy walking in heavy snow. I think it was some guy living off grid. My ears were picking up the sound but my brain was hearing a homicidal maniac eating crushed ice from a cup right beside me. I remember being too scared to move and yelling out for help. Whew that was a close one. I hate nightmares. Even if they are in the middle of the day. 

I went to the library. I heard some Bee Gee songs this weekend and had forgotten how good and upbeat some of their songs were. So I picked up a couple of CD's to load into my computer. I probably wouldn't have bought them but free...I am there. Then over to Meijers for some more frozen mixed veggies to dehydrate. The jar I'm using for storage is starting to fill up nicely. At a later date I'll probably store them in a Mylar bag but for right now they are so pretty in the jar.  :sEm_blush:

The other day I mentioned about getting a spare heating pad because mine is so old and probably wouldn't last much longer. It really helps me in the winter. Especially if it's going to get down to -4 this week. Last night I went to turn it on and it was dead. I think I jinxed it by talking about it. At Meijers I got distracted by the veggies and left without a new one. I stopped in CVS and picked one up. They had signs posted everywhere that they had the tests  in stock. You know which ones I mean. They are kept behind the counter and you have to ask for them. So I did, and got two of them at $10.00 a piece. I don't need them right now but I might. But who knows if they will even work with the newest variant coming down the pike, BA.2?  They were also giving out free N95 masks. Three seems to be the magic number on free masks. I'll take them as long as I don't have to sign for them. These masks look strange. They seem pretty thin with no shape to them. They are made by 3M and say N95.  They look just like a panty liner. I'm not joking nor exaggerating.  Maybe they fan out like the surgical masks? :unsure: At least they are wrapped separately so I can stick them in my purse. 

Off to reload the dehydrator and boogie to some Saturday Night Fever and do a slow down with How Deep Is Your Love. And remain awake. :o

• Like 4

Went to Walmart first today and WOW! Prices way up! I bought what I normally do once a month which runs around $110 to $130 at most. $153 today and I put about $15 worth of normal stuff back. I'm as stocked as I am going to get for now and will just pick up what I use for the foreseeable future.

Came home and put away order.
Walked dogs.
Going to do a walk for me now and then wash one dog and call it a day!

8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

looking for chicken bouillon.

I got a XL container of powdered chicken bouillon for about $4 and change and a small beef bouillon for $1.98.  Hah!  Just corrected my spelling!  LOL

And our weather is beautiful today!  68 and sunny!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 5

Miki, hang on to your bouillon. It's rare and very expensive up here. Glad you were able to find it there though. You might have cornered the market on it.

I can see it now. Miki standing in a dark alley with little plastic wrapped packets sewn on the inside of her long heavy coat in 68 degree weather trying to peddle her bouillon to poor Jeepers who has none. Miki flips open her coat and flashes her wares and mumbles in a low voice, "Psst, hey you. Yeah you Chicky. Wanna buy some of my powdered stuff? It's Grade A Knorr from Mexico. Not those cheap cubes."  Humm. Maybe. "A hunnerd dollars an ounce! I thought we were friends!" cried Jeepers. Then she spotted a form farther down the same alley that had an uncanny resemblance to Annarchy wearing the same get-up. Oh. My. Gosh. It is her doing the same thing with her tomato bouillon! Eh, what can a girl do but to pay the price. Hope they take PayPal.  Pffft, some pals. War is hell. And beware of those girls down south. They ain't messin' around. 

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Last night I went to turn it on and it was dead.

Sometimes the heating pads will only reset so many times. I've been able to pull the plug out of the wall and reset the obstinate thingie. All of mine do that now days.  :tapfoot:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mt. Rider, glad your DH is getting much better. And poor pup. Being chased by a shelving unit. 

Had a talk with Wayfair this morning. I got a refund for the amount I had to pay to have the bar stools put together. They are sending me a packet of new screws and lock washers. Said if my SIL was not able to take the stools apart and fix the issues to get them put back together the right way, to call them. I told them it will be at least a couple of months before he comes into town. So, they have that on file. One of the construction guys looked at one of them and there are screws he bent putting them in and in many places, he didn't even put screws in the stools. So not useable like this. But at least Wayfair is taking care of the issue.  If SIL can't get the bent screws out without damaging the stools, they are going to replace them. 

Jeepers, those nightmares will sneak up on you when you fall asleep. Just don't fall out of bed from one. 

• Like 3

Things on house are now moving fast. The tile is here for small bathroom.  Painters are here putting primer on walls. 

Because the fireplace hearth had no support, they tore it out. He is suggesting a free-standing wood burning stove. I would still have the fireplace. Fireplace is in corner flat against wall. He may be able to put the wood burning stove caddy corner in room and fireplace would be fixed up to store extra wood. I am hoping this will work like I am picturing it. He will be back to see what needs to be done. But in meantime, the chimney sweeps are coming tomorrow to inspect the fireplace and I can ask them about the best way to move on this. Didn't know it would be this complicated.  But at least the pretty stuff is about to get started.  I really need to figure out how to get pictures from phone to computer. Then I can post pictures.

I am sitting in a pile of dust, and they are going to take my kitchen away in the next day or two. I am going to be limited to a chair in corner of living room, spare bedroom and one bathroom for now. When the small bathroom is finished, they will start tearing out the main bathroom.   As I was saying, sitting in a pile of dust waiting to turn rest of house white. There is a coat of dust on everything in house. I will have a mess to clean up when this is over. 

• Like 5

I'm glad things are moving along for you, Littlesister, even if messy at this point!

Fed dogs first and sent Peanut Butter with DH to get a haircut. (Peanut, not DH)  LOL
Paid bills.
Walked.
Walked remaining dogs.
Did laundry- last load drying now.
Made a chicken pot pie from home canned Chicken veg soup, thickened with potato flakes.
That's about it, today.
Waiting for gardening weather!

• Like 3

Littlesister, glad the grunt work is going faster and the pretty work can begin. Would love to see it.

I know it isn't quite the same but, when the painters came to my house I stayed in one bedroom with a bathroom. I had some food and my Kindle and some movies. I closed the door and stayed in there. If they needed anything answered they knocked on the door. They did the whole house that way except for the room I stayed in. When they were ready for my room, I went into another room and stayed there. The guys were super nice. They appreciated working without me hovering around and I told them they could use my fridge and microwave and play their radio. I also let them keep their set up (ladders, scaffold, fans, cans etc.) stay up. They were supposed to clear everything out at the end of every day and re-setup the next day. But since I was the only one there, I didn't care. All of that helped speed along their work process. They asked me if I cared if they came at 7:00am instead of 8:00am. Not a problem because I stayed in my room anyway. I opened the garage door about 10 minutes ahead and they came and went as they pleased. Even with all of that, it still took them an extra day because they removed all of my towel/toilet paper holders and all of my curtain rod hardware and repaired the walls behind them. And three walls had huge cracks that they repaired. None of that was on their to-do list but by that time we liked each other and 'worked' together nicely. 

But, I was the only one in the house and the house was empty except for one room. So I'm sure that made a difference. I was really dreading strangers being in the house all that time but it turned out fine. But I'm sure glad it's over!

• Like 4

Things on house are now moving fast. The tile is here for small bathroom.  Painters are here putting primer on walls. 

Because the fireplace hearth had no support, they tore it out. He is suggesting a free-standing wood burning stove. I would still have the fireplace. Fireplace is in corner flat against wall. He may be able to put the wood burning stove caddy corner in room and fireplace would be fixed up to store extra wood. I am hoping this will work like I am picturing it. He will be back to see what needs to be done. But in meantime, the chimney sweeps are coming tomorrow to inspect the fireplace and I can ask them about the best way to move on this. Didn't know it would be this complicated.  But at least the pretty stuff is about to get started.  I really need to figure out how to get pictures from phone to computer. Then I can post pictures.

I am sitting in a pile of dust, and they are going to take my kitchen away in the next day or two. I am going to be limited to a chair in corner of living room, spare bedroom and one bathroom for now. When the small bathroom is finished, they will start tearing out the main bathroom.   As I was saying, sitting in a pile of dust waiting to turn rest of house white. There is a coat of dust on everything in house. I will have a mess to clean up when this is over. 

• Like 1

I hit something and my post from above repeated. Weird.

Jeepers, that is how I am doing it.  I am staying in spare bedroom but do have a chair in living room also to sit at.  They are using microwave to heat up their lunch. They bought drinks with them.  These guys are super nice and doing a great job. They are going to keep everything set up for tomorrow. I am losing kitchen tomorrow as they will be putting in the farm sink. It won't be connected till the counter tops are measured and a template made. Then they will hook up the sink. So, I will be without a kitchen for 2 or 3 days. I have things for sandwiches for those couple of days or I will just go to the market and get a hot meal on one of those days. I'm ready for a nap. Been reading and playing games on computer. I have boxes of stuff everywhere.  House looks like a hoarder's house with everything piled into 3 rooms. But it will all be over, and I can start getting house back together. Then I can concentrate on other stuff after a nice long nap. This is tiring trying to have to stay put out of the way and too cold to do anything outside yet. But will be all worth it in the end. 

• Like 4

Yes! You will be so happy in the long run. All the mess will be worth it. It probably doesn't seem like it now but in a few months this will be like a blink of an eye and you will be sitting pretty in a 'new' house just the way you want it. Whatever the future holds for you, whether selling or your forever home, you will be ready. 

I'll bet your DH would be so proud of you for taking the bull by the horns and doing it by yourself and doing it your way. From one woman to another...I'm proud of you for having the confidence in yourself to get it done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

..I'm proud of you for having the confidence in yourself to get it done. 

I am too, LS.  You are doing great.  And look at the dust this way…..once you get it ALL cleaned out your whole house will be CLEAN,  :dusting: Do post pictures.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thinking I had better take an allergy pill tonight. My nose is so stuffed up from all the cement dust and now the paint fumes. I wasn't feeling all that good when I got up this morning and I don't need a sinus infection. So, time to take care of that issue. 

They said this job would take about 4 months. This is Feb. 1st, and they are almost ready to start tiling the bathroom. The kitchen sink comes in tomorrow, and they are going to set that in place, but not hook it up till the countertop comes in.  They have to get sink in place for the templet for the counter. Once the den, kitchen, and small bathroom and bedroom is done, they will be starting on the main bathroom. Since they are using the main bathroom and will be using the small bathroom when it is done. I will just continue to sleep in the spare bedroom as I don't want to move back to my bedroom with them running back and forth to use the bathroom. It will just get tracked up again, so best to wait till the whole job is done and then I can clean my bedroom up and move back to it. And the fun begins getting house back together.  Can't wait for it all to be done.  

Making a list of all the other things that need to be done, but it won't be as bad as this job. 

I am thinking they might have it all finished sometime in March instead of April. 

• Like 3