MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I can relate, WE2. We had rather nice weather today but the shredding affects on the WIND yesterday.... Aiieee. I washed up a few dozen duck eggs tonite after the usual chores. But other than that, I took a nap! DH had started the crock pot with tonite's supper last nite. He saw "the writing on the wall" and I'm so grateful to be eating a roast and taters. :hug3:

MtRider ...tomorrow might be a busy day...iffen I'm able.

We've had a couple light frosts overnight, but not a heavy one yet. I want a lovely heavy frost to kill off the goldenrod (allergies!). I usually look forward to COLD weather as I can use the oven again (and the lack of pollen, bugs and slitherys), but with everything going on in the world, I'm not looking forward to the cold and the possible challenges of it if something happens with the power.

I'm continuing to slowly build up our home library for homeschooling. I recently finished reading "Five Little Peppers and How They Grew." That one has been on my to-get list for sometime, since I saw it on a list here at MrsS (maybe something about favorite books from childhood? Anyway, thank you!). I really liked it and it reminded me of Louisa May Alcott's writing. We were in a small chain bookstore not long ago and I was surprised by the lack of quality. Seemed like most of the upper elementary level books were based on tv characters. Me to DH there: "But where's the GOOD books?"

I'm trying to find more pioneer books geared at kids. I had ordered what I thought would be a great one: "A Pioneer Sampler", but it's now printed in China, so it's going back. I'm thinking about ordering "Writings to Young Women from Laura Ingalls Wilder, Vol. 2: On Being A Pioneer Woman" next. Anyone read that one? DH and DD are giving me her autobiography for Christmas. I'm interested to see the part on "The Long Winter". It has been years since I've read that one (packed in the attic), but it's been on my mind lately.

I don't post as much anymore because DD likes to "help" me type and no one would understand it!

I loved Five Little Peppers too! Every Christmas and birthday, my Mom's father bought me books. Some of my favorites were Heidi, Heidi Grows Up, Beautiful Joe (written from a dog, Joe's prospective) Joe was abused and then rescued by some good folks who take in other dogs. Very good for fostering kindness for animals. Also Black Beauty (about horses). Five Little Peppers Midway and others that will probably come to mind later.

:0327: Owners are having this cabin stained.....ya think? [they don't do much maintenance] Anyway, the porch has collected all manner of STUFF. :busted: And every fall the rodents (ratfink, etc) crawl all over every night and leave their foulness behind. DH and I haven't seen any "evidence" of their presence for a few nights so .....decided to CLEAR IT ALL.

Wearing gloves....so nasty. The boxes of excess books [headed for the storage til can sell] and lots of canning jars in boxes ...decided they were all going to storage too. They'd been wrapped up in garbage bags so protected from rat foulness. Stripped away plastic bags and trooped down stairs and into truck. Took those to storage. Had to sanitize the table, and other things. Ick ICK ICK!!! Hate rodents!!!

Lots of other junk got tossed or put where it belongs. Then the trip to storage.....and ran into a "controlled burn" . TPTB do this to get rid of forest fuels ....brush and such ...so wildfire is less likely. That's the theory anyway. :shrug: Anyway, I grabbed an N95 mask and rolled up the windows till we came out the other side. We took a different way back home.

Just that much and :groooansmileyf: Can't believe how bad my muscles hurt. Koa pulllled me up stairs. [Didn't help that I cooked breakfast and completely forgot to eat it. Duh!] I was very warm while working, but now I'm chilled. Under blankets and cat sitting on top of me. Fingers icy.

We'd hoped to take in the tire for van to get fixed...[still trying to break loose the rusted lug nuts] AND update it's license. :grinning-smiley-044:

Also thot we could get to local library, use their Internet to download all I need to start using my new "Notebook" computer. :grinning-smiley-044:

Just came home and :0327:

MtRider .....no wonder we can't get anything done with this level of energy. <_< ....but porch is cleared/sanitized! :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Chilly but mostly sunny day. Finished laundry, but dried them in the dryer instead of outside because they were work clothes (denims etc.). I wash my denim dresses with them also so had 3 loads. Clothesline isn't big enough for 3 loads. Put a couple of chicken breasts in the cast iron "pot" along with veggies and let the afternoon do my cooking and took the chill out of the house at the same time.

Yesterday DD and I scrounged up 30# of tomatoes and started another batch of spaghetti sauce. This one will be onion/garlic free too. Today, I have to put the celery, green pepper and herbs in it, cook it down and can it. We have peppers to freeze and beans to pick, house to clean, etc.

Spent the day with my mom. It was nice only driving 60 miles rather than 300 each way. Now I can do it on a weekly schedule rather than holidays. :wave:

DH bagged himself two more moles. :hapydancsmil: They had taken over this country homestead as the last owners were indoor people. How can hermits miss such gorgeous meadows, hills and fishing pond in their daily lives? I hope we never tire of the beauty that God paints all around us each day. :hi:

I'm really happy for you Homesteader! It's always nice to be "home". I haven't had the feeling in quite awhile.

I had a great visit to see that baby. Oh my... He has me wrapped around all ten fingers not to mention his toes. Precious. I could go on and on but I'll spare you all. I will say that he has caught up to his age in all category's so that is a relief. His mom has a great book that gives the average milestones for each week for a year and he is on target for all of them. Whew. I was so worried when he was born early and only 3.15 pounds. I can breathe a little easier now.

It's good to be home though. That trip really wears me out. Taking care of a baby at 64 ain't like doing it in your 20's. Plus almost 11 hours of driving time sitting in a car can wear on an old back too. I'll recover fast though and will be plotting my next trip soon. Probably in November.

I got the lawn mowed today before the neighbors got home. That's always a plus. I didn't get it mowed before I left and it looked like I was going to need to rent a combine and baler. Will probably have to cut it 4-5 more times this year. I do it as the leaves fall so I don't have to rake them. I ran over a root that I didn't see and heard that terrible sound that lets you (and the whole neighborhood) know you almost ruined the blade. But, I didn't hit the mailbox this time so all in all I guess it was a good day.

:happy0203: Yeah, I'm right proud of that formerly MESSY porch! They stained more today but it's going slow. I was so wiped out from yesterday that I took a nap....with them painting on the stain right outside the window. [had a baad night trying to GET to sleep!]

I went out "early" for PM feeding so I could ride for therapy. [spasms in hips was reason for lack of sleep] Then the sunset turned everywhere that peachy-pink color, reflecting off glowing clouds. Called my mom to go look. Finished up quickly with the dog's walk.....cuz daylight faded fast after that light show. 'Twas dark before I got done.

Sooooo, I need to bring my feeding time up a bit. It's now DARK by 6:30pm. This is bear season...tho I haven't seen any this summer or fall....YET. :unsure: They're gorging for winter right now and ....I'd just not want to disturb any of them in the twilight.

MtRider ....speaking of whom, haven't seen Twilight post in a while...

We got a second bedroom organized enough that we could actually have unannounced guests now. :grinning-smiley-044: I can't find the bedding yet among all the boxes, but today is another day. :bouquet:

We've accumulated a ton of u-haul boxes left-over from the move. We burned a few then I remembered that I used the boxes from a former kitchen remodel several years ago in Indiana garden. They come in VERY handy between rows and in areas that are laid farrow for a year. The worms and micro-organisms love the material and it will REALLY help with our sandy Wisconsin soil. I should have remembered that. :0327:

When will I wake up from this moving nightmare. :gaah::tapfoot:

Oye......Day Four of Clatter, Scrape, Bang, Knock, Spray, Whiiissssssssttttttttt, Clang, .......folks working on cleaning [in this windy/DUSTY valley] and then staining the logs of this cabin. [Thanking God we don't own it!]

The WIND has been increasing ....to their dismay. It truly IS awful here. I label it Mach 3....4....5. Today a blast hit the cabin and I went outside to see if those on ladders were..... :unsure: ...still on ladders! I've been telling them the worst they'd seen was merely Mach THREE. This time I yelled over the blustery gale...."OK, THAT felt close to Mach FIVE!"

All three were all hanging onto their hair/hats and :blink: :blink: :blink: UN...BE....LIEVABLE!!!!

I had to go around collecting anything that was not going to hold still in such wind gusts. Gusts are worse cuz the tug-stop-tug-stop action works things loose. And we've got so much out of usual places since all the walls have to be available to those working. Cleared a lot more off the porch so there is room for ladders, etc.

I'm so ready for this job to be done. The crew would certainly agree with me! :0327:

MtRider .....at Mach 5 the wood porch furniture flips over! :twister3:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yes, this is log and chinking inside and out. BIG, WIDE strips of chinking. The logs shrink and the chinking is ...less effective. So they will also 'caulk' where there is cracks. I told B that I was going to send all the spiders with complaints to him. They are gonna be really ticked that he's closing off their highway in to a nice warm winter home..... :animal0017: We discussed our recent problem with a fly population that winters with us. Sounds like a bee hive up in the tall ceiling. B thot that it would be diminished by caulking the cracks too. I didn't even mention how much HEAT we pay for that goes out those cracks! :shakinghead:

The logs inside are a lovely buttery yellow and are fine. THANKFULLY. They'd talked about repairing the chinking ...where it's falling out on the inside. I shuddered in horror. I requested that they wait until they are between renters since there is no way they could get ladders around this crowded, dinky house. And no way they could slap up that cement chinking without blobs falling all over our STUFF. No....not cooperating with THAT project. :grinning-smiley-044:

I felt sorry for them today....definitely prayed for their safety! They were really struggling with the severe wind. Twice ladders fell over [unoccupied, fortunately]. Other things kept blowing away. Once it was a paintbrush! No one can hear except between blasts of wind. Tires you out severely!!! The noise is raucous! Blasts of 40 mph++ come up unexpectedly after a brief lull.... :gaah: They all looked just drained :imoksmiley: when they left. J was literally staggering. They had stain drops all over them cuz wind blew it off the brushes!

J has managed this place for longer than we've been here. She had no idea the wind could be like this....for weeks at a time in Spring. Kinda explained the storm doors ripped off the hinges, etc....

MtRider ....one (?) more day to finish stain. Will have used 7 gallons on a 25'x25' cabin. Then caulking outside when the stain dries.

Wow! You girls have had a busy week!

I had the book, Beautiful Joe and Heidi also, Daylily! Always difficult to read Beautiful Joe, made me cry.

We are still waiting on financing and kind of in limbo (again). I think God wants us to maybe stay here for now so I am settling in again and waiting. It's very dry in this area. No rain in 3 weeks and maybe some Thursday. All in all, we are well and stocking up a little again if we are staying a while.

More applesauce yesterday! We canned 77 quarts from 6 bushels of apples. We also have several gallons of juice to can today.

Miki, did you find that Beautiful Joe affected the way you feel about animals?

Wind can be SO tiring. I really feel for the stainers.

Miki, I was just reading a book about buying a house and it said being pre-approved for a loan before you start seriously looking is an important step. It can save a lot of disappointment and over extending the finances down the road. Also realtors and home sellers will take you more seriously. You're smart for getting that first step out of the way. It will happen for you! Maybe not as fast (speaking from experience) as you'd like but it will happen for you too. :hug3:

We obtained our drivers licenses today. It's like pulling teeth to do anything anymore since 911 and the 2008 financial meltdown. It was quite easy because we were Wisconsin residents previously. Otherwise it would have been a passport or birth certification, both of which are still packed in some obscure box or tote. :0327:

We were on a roll so we stopped by a local bank and opened a checking account. This time, we brought legal documents as to our residency ... utility bills, etc. What a crock, but they have to follow strict federal rules. That process was very quick too. We started wondering why we had such difficulties in Indiana getting everything done fourteen years ago. :grinning-smiley-044:

I even got my fishing license (need one even for our own pond ... DNR (d**m near Russian). It only cost $5 for the next 10 years. :hapydancsmil: I must be a senior citizen!!! :laughkick: I think I'll go fishing tomorrow as we dug some grubs today. :woohoo:

Spent the day with my mom. It was nice only driving 60 miles rather than 300 each way. Now I can do it on a weekly schedule rather than holidays. :wave:

DH bagged himself two more moles. :hapydancsmil: They had taken over this country homestead as the last owners were indoor people. How can hermits miss such gorgeous meadows, hills and fishing pond in their daily lives? I hope we never tire of the beauty that God paints all around us each day. :hi:

:thumbs: